[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 157 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

You guys keep saying every single year the hype will die down soon but the prices only keep going up...
>>
when everyone born in the 20th century dies
>>
>>6554748
So... never?
>>
I don't think it's going to pop, just gradually deflate.
>>
>>6554746
>So when is the retro retro game collecting bubble gonna pop?

Hopefully not soon, but under normal circumstances it'd burst in 10 years. Yeah, gamers are used to paying too much and thus the market realizes as much. But in 10 years time, a lot of people are going to want to get a return on their investment and most will lose their shirts because newbie-zoomies won't care.
>>
>>6554758
This also never happend... not once
>>
>>6554762
People said the exact same stuff 10 years ago
>>
>>6554767
This time for real dough. Check this out: in 10 years, the prime market gamer-buyer will be 50 years old. They'll be 50 years old or a bit older. That reckoning will fascilitate a downsizing for the finer thing that they've always been wanting. A they can emulate and are cool with that. Now the problem is that; A) There will be a market glut because of so many of them wanting to sell at once, and B) casual newcomers won't be able to connect to the product enough for them to justify large sums of money being handed over for things that they can easily and cheaply emulate.
>>
File: 230816024123445nfhe.jpg (99 KB, 800x434)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
once the rest of these boomers stroke out or get shipped to a retirement center, all your shitty plastic junk will be as valuable as elvis collectors plates
>>
Yes indeed, the coming Great Mid-Life-Gamer Crisis will make for plenty of deals and opportunities.
>>
>>6554778
this anon gets it.
Especially for old stuff. The market for that is just too niche for the long-run.
>>
>>6554782
Since when is Nintendo niche?
>>
>>6554789
>Since when is Nintendo niche?
You're not seeing the forest for the trees, anon. When you and I are gone, not many are going to care to play a game on its native system. And they will certainly not be able to justify to themselves sacrificing big time just to play a game the original real way. It'd be like us paying for TVs from the 1950s and on and on, it's just not doable or desirable for most.
>>
>>6554746
It's not a bubble. The US dollar has been inflating consistently high since 2012. It's not just vidya, it's also collectable cards, houses, gold, etc. Most assets with storage value.
>>
>>6554816
There's that too, which will hit the gaming industry hard once anons have to decide between gaming and eating once the dollar drops, as threatened by experts. Emulation will achieve new heights of appreciation.
>>
>>6554821
>Emulation will achieve new heights of appreciation
There will be no emulation in 10 years you won't even have the right to download stuff
>>
>>6554841
thanks biden
>>
>>6554778
This but it's actually wolf/moon/dreamcatcher plates
>>
>>6554746
when will a limited resource that is only becoming more and more rare (due to destruction, population increase, etc.) that has a constant demand not cost as much?

when people start building new carts, duh
>>
>>6554878
when will people start building new carts?

when digital distribution becomes more costly, ie never. new carts will be +60$ anyway, just like when they were first sold, because production would be so low.

deal with the fact that after a technology is phased out, it is only cheap for a limited span of time when everyone is jumping ship to new tech. after that, enthusiast eventually create a culture and market for things which aren't commodities anymore
>>
>>6554890
I can buy god of war for the ps4 new for $20 a digital copy would cost $60
>>
>>6554895
>a digital copy would cost $60
how retarded can you be?
>>
>>6554897
How mad are you?
>>
File: retro_prices.jpg (129 KB, 1300x800)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>6554758

Supply and demand, they will continue rising. Even retro vidya cannot escape basic economics.
>>
We just need the games as art narrative to endure so our retro games are “art” and maintain value better
>>
>>6554841
>what are romsets
>what are hard drives
>what are air-gapped PCs
>>
I want to get rid of my pc so bad. I hate emulation. I hate modern games. I'm fully convinced that modern games are being made just for boomers.
>>
>>6555125
>I want to get rid of my pc so bad.
>I hate modern games

What did they mean by this, bros?
>>
>>6555125
>I want to get rid of my pc so bad.
How will you shitpost on /vr/ otherwise?
>I hate emulation.
Emulation is pretty accurate for some console but just play on hardware if you care so much
>I hate modern games. I'm fully convinced that modern games are being made just for boomers.
Don't play them then.
>>
>>6555110
Dude your PC will be just spyware at that point and they will send any illegal activities directly to your provider
Enjoy playing your emulators on a PC from 2001 with windows XP if you still can find one that works
>>
File: consume.jpg (22 KB, 500x375)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>6555125
that is quite the conspiracy anon
>>
>>6555179
>Dude your PC will be just spyware at that point and they will send any illegal activities directly to your provider
But before that time there's still years and years of PCs that can easily emulate generations 2-6 rather competently. And keeping a PC offline is always an option.
>>
>>6555179
>get new PC
>immediately keep it offline after loading it up with normie bullshit
>PC goes offline forever
>gets updated with new games via USB, SD, and even CD vis another PC
>ISP thankful that my bandwidth is negligible

So yeah, emulation is looking grim fer shure.
>>
>6555235
I wish i could download entire libraries of games from 3rd-5th generation in one go
>>
>>6555218
The older millenials seem like the target audience. Modern games are entirely made for people who are 30-45.
>>
>>6555235
You realize your pc can still go online even when its offline and airgapped for you right? Its all backdoored going back over 0 years
>>
>>6555240
>I wish i could download entire libraries of games from 3rd-5th generation in one go
You can through torrents, that I don't advise. Your best bet is to get the romset through others means.
>>
>>6555249
>dude like your unplugged unpowered PC can totally link to the internet and show your CP
>>
>>6555249
>You realize your pc can still go online even when its offline and airgapped for you right?
That's impossible, anon. It's it's air-gapped, that means no Wifi, no wired connection either. What you're suggesting is magic.
>>
>>6555254
*if it's air gapped

There are probably means to alter or delete or even read data from offline PCs, but that stuff has got to be secret tech that we have no access to and most likely won't be deployed against retro gamers.
>>
>>6555256
>probably
halt right there
you have violated the law
>>
>>6555258
>you have violated the law
Nah. I buy games that are sold and only pirate stuff that isn't sold. Not illegal.
>>
>>6554762
It has already collapsed. People are pulling out cases of new old stock and selling it for insane prices. When the hoarders and businesses start to get into the fray, that's a sign that everything is about to go to shit.

2 local game stores already closed down. I'm not hopeful.
>>
>>6555253
>>6555254
Nevdr underestimate the backdooring pcs have been subject to. They have a hidden wifi built in that phones home
>>
>>6555179
Use Linux retard
>>
>>6555397
>linux is better!
Lol. Spoken like a /g/ newfag
>>
>>6555397
why not just dual boot XP, the best windows
>>
Now that even handeld games are worth stupid amounts of money, what is the safest way to sell some of my old games?
>>
>>6554763
are you kidding. atari stuff used to be expensive as shit. arcade stuff went through a crazy spike there as well. nes stuff has gone down in price.
>>
>>6555394
>Nevdr underestimate the backdooring pcs have been subject to. They have a hidden wifi built in that phones home
Bullshit. Prove it, also I've opened my newish PC and there just isn't any hidden wifi. Try again.
>>
>>6555378
>People are pulling out cases of new old stock and selling it for insane prices
Please link, anon.
Also this is a good thing for the hobby. Finally the people that want to play the games will and the autistic collectors will have their cash, albeit less cash than they hoped for.
>>
>>6555450
hes saying insane as in high
>>
>>6555451
There is no mention of any hidden wifi. And the rest is if it's Internet connected, anon. Yeah, no shit everything online is seen. Offline, no so much.

t. anon with a working Samsung Blu-ray player because I don't keep that crap online, ever. (almost all net connected Samsung BR players are bricked)
>>
>>6554746
Honestly? When the millenials who collect this stuff either die or lose interest. While there are a few zoomers who show some interest in older games, the vast majority do not.

I foresee this "bubble" either petering out within the next 2-5 years, or lasting another 20-30. Until then, it will be like Beatles memorabilia or 1960s muscle cars.
>>
>>6555458
>no one can read faster than my fifth grade dropout edumacayshuns!

Keep seething. And I don't have any mics hooked up. Sorry you lose again.
>>
>>6555465
>No one can read hundreds of pages in documents in 5 minutes faggot

LOL never said I read hundreds of pages, but you're seething that I read all I needed to and found out the shocking news that you're a faggot. Control+F is also a thing, smart guy.
>>
OK, not replying to that dummy anymore. We're way off topic.
Mario 3 will always be better than SMW.
>>
File: higinbotham.jpg (15 KB, 300x299)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>
>still buying crusty old hardware rotting away on collectors shelves instead of emulating
>BAWWW EMULATION NOT ACCRATE
Started gaming back in the fucking Pong days, boys, and fuck actual hardware. Emulation is WAY more than good enough and all I fucking have to do is point a program at a bundle of bytes.
>>
>>6555495
>old man lacks soul and thinks modern technology is good
what else is new
>>
>>6555501
>old man likes new technology
>what else is new
You don't get how the world works, do you, son?
>>
>>6555495
>Emulation

Inaccurate, illegally download roms, never truly yours to hold or touch, soulless, and its the zoomy thing to do.

Go to bed gramps.
>>
>>6555260

> How hipsters justify breaking the law.
>>
>>6555460
zoomers were raised by youtube, and thus have more exposure to "game collectors" than any other generation
>>
>>6555509
There I was completely gaming
out of work and down
Still inside just emulating
As I fight against Koopa's crown..
>>
...it as though nobody dares
Pay reseller swiiiiine
So I might as well begin
To Put Action Replay in my life!
Breakin' (copyright)law!
Breakin' the (copyright) law!

You don't play GYROMITE!

*crash*

breakin' the law
>>
I've just resigned to paying $100-$20] a title at this point. They will never come down.
>>
>>6555532
Maybe, but always buy the most expensive ones first.
>>
>>6554746
the bubble have "popped" already for nes and snes, prices are more or less stable for 3-4 years already... 64 and gamecube that are in the boom period now
>>
>>6555563
Should I wait or go all in on Cube? I'm concentrating on Xbox 360 now but I've always wanted to have my favorite Gamecube games.
>>
>>6555569
You should wait so that you don't drive the market.
>>
>>6555574
I'm gonna get Killer 7 and Double Dash before they take off at least.
>>
>>6555582
Godspeed. I'm satisfied with getting most of my old favorites.
Felt like an idiot paying 20 bucks for Castlevania III, but not so much now.
>>
>>6554746
Never. Bandwagoners have been trying to imagine this into existence for years.
>>
>>6555569
I think the one in prime position to go "all in" now is the wii, but if you want something for the gamecube now will be better than next year
>>
>>6555569
If you want to make a minuscule amount of money for the effort on video games I'd start stockpiling working 360's and PS3's, phats especially. Most of the games will be gimped with the online ends no longer working but functional systems will probably see demand for a long time. Would probably be easy to trade one for whatever you want later on.
>>
>>6555458
Anon the least of their worries is a racist who pirates super mario bros for nes.
>>
>>6555825
Having a working Blu-ray player is racist? Is your schitz acting up again?

And prices will have to go down eventually otherwise the buyers will be far and few between.
>>
File: 1586244253655.png (598 KB, 640x536)
598 KB
598 KB PNG
>>6555836
>Jenkins, should we follow Achmed?
>Hmmm
>HE'S BUILDING SOMETHING WITH LOTS OF METAL PARTS
>HE'S MADE TONS OF ANTI-AMERICAN STATEMENTS
>HE'S HEAVILY ARMED
>No.
>Over in sector 10 we have a true rebel..
>He's downloaded SMB AND Zelda
>NOMYGAWD
>SIR, SHOULD I READY A WET TEAM?
>Yes, it's go time. We're getting that son of a bitch tonight.
>>
>>6555835
>always on mics
if the mics aren't recording you say the n word then wtf are they doing anon?
>>
>>6554746
never just emulate
>>
>>6554746
A 1.1 zelda cart only goes for like 50 dollars. Were not exactly rolling in it man
>>
>>6554890
>when?
Yesterday
>>
>>6555469
>I usededed control f to look for "you're wrong jumbles (das my nayme)" and it no say dat
Epic speedrun hack bro.
>>
>>6555779
Honestly I just want my favorite games I sold like a idiot. I'm hoping the 360 stays online for a long time.

>>6555787
Sony said "most of" (so not all) "the top 100" (so including at least 5 FIFA games and others sports shit) will be backward compatible. They arent saying shit and plenty worth preserving wont make the cut.
>>
>>6556029
You’re taking this pretty poorly anon
>>
File: 1592228492857.jpg (123 KB, 1024x1024)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>6555249
>>6555394
>>6555458
>>6555836
>>
>>6556191
I'm just a rando I have no stake in this, other than the usual disdain for retards who dont try to learn anything and act like they already read something they clearly didnt.

The only retards who let people get away with that are middle management fuckwits so enjoy your office or other cuck work
>>
>>6556203
I’m not the one you were arguing with anon
>>
>>6556201
This will never be a meme, just like milhouse. Doesnt matter how many pajeets you employ. All you'll get are used keyboards that smell like turmeric on one side and shit on the other.
>>
>>6555253
yes feds have infected machines through power lines try keep up boomer
>>
>>6554778
You don't like Elvis anon?
Those are some nice plates.
>>
>>6554746
When we kick, denounce and gate keep all the s.oybo.y hipster poser fakers who enter in the 2010s.

Also installing the japanese system of not keeping the games but selling them back making them available again and reducing the prices to the real value, that would be very good.
>>
File: 1592947482361.png (46 KB, 596x1867)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>6554948
>the supply and deman fallacy myth

LAY OFF THE S.O_Y! PLEASE.
>>
>>6556208
>Doesnt matter how many pajeets you employ
>>
Never. As long as there are physical games.

Certain console generation games might plateau for a bit.

Waiting on the day when some tries to haggle a rare game for "vintage" car and it makes national /worldwide news
>>
>>6554746
People are already starting on gamecube/ps2/xbox games now. Go to reddit and any "scored a Ps2 with 20 games at the thrift hell yeah" post gets thousands of likes. People are moving on.
>>
>>6554746
The hardware and games get more rare every year. It's only onwards and upwards from here baby.
>>
>>6556402
>starting
the ship has already sailed. go check prices of literally any ps2 horror game.
>>
>>6554948
You are assuming steady or increased demand though. People may just be content emulating. I got off the collecting train back in the mid 2000's but still emulate.
>>
>>6554746
There is no bubble. People have been saying the "bubble will burst soon" for like 7 years or more now.
It's not a bubble so much as it's a slowly-propagating wave. As each generation of kids ages into adults in their 20s/30s with disposable income, they go out to buy their old shit and jack the prices up. Once it's saturated, the prices stabilize at the high points, and then the next generation of games starts to inflate, rinse and repeat. You'll never see a true deflation, even for older stuff like NES, until we're like 60-70 years old, at which point the stuff is so old that it will be viewed in the same way as old farts who collect hummel figures or whatever.
>>
>>6556652
Get with the times, gramp. This is the age of the super collector.
>>
>>6555378
>2 local game stores already closed down. I'm not hopeful.
Good riddance, local game stores are the absolute worst. Their selections suck and they have mark-ups that are like +50% of what you'd see even on ebay buy-it-now listings. So I can waste a good chunk of my day driving out to a used game shop, rummaging around a bunch of sports games and dime-a-dozen shit to MAYBE find something I want, only to pay far more for it. Or I could just lay in bed and buy something on ebay within 5 seconds, and have it cost less.
>>
>>6554948
MIB and the like will continue to rise. As such items are both rare and only of interest to collectors and the middlemen who try to make money off them.

Everything else will likely peak, then decline as people move to either full emulation or repro-carts. Or just stop playing retro-vidya all together.
>>
>>6554895
The only way to buy digital is to wait for sales. So you have to keep alerts on a website like psprices.com and buy within the short time frame a digital game gets discounted.
>>
I haven't gone to my local shop in years and when I do I typically buy og Xbox stuff so never really felt the price increases like everyone else, but getting controllers for emulation lately and it never occurred to me how hard it was to get stuff I could have gotten for five dollars ten years ago. Couldn't find a first party anything. Also didn't think about how Smashbois made it impossible to not pay an arm and a leg for a HC controller.
>>
>>6555408
How is using a nonsecure os a better idea then Linux at this point?
>>
>>6556838
>then decline as people move to either full emulation or repro-carts. Or just stop playing retro-vidya all together.

why do you think this would ever happen? what is your reasoning?
>>
>>6556956
In general, old vidya is a niche product already. Primarily of interest to people who grew up with it, and those who're interested in what came before.

If they're just interested in what came before, and aren't a purist, they'll likely try out emulation first, as its cheap if they already have a computer.

If they are a hardware purist, and seek out a machine, they'll likely price out the difference between a legit cart/disc and a reproduction. In which case, the reproduction will likely be cheaper. But, as old hardware succumbs to its age and is either discarded or refurbished, its price will also rise. Further putting distance between people who want an authentic experience and people who will either settle for emulation or not bother at all.

Which moves opened carts/discs into the lower end collectable, at best.
>>
>>6556692
>zoyface
>>
>>6554746
>>
>>6556979
What is this shit^^^? Delete non-posts.
>>
Kind of embarrassed to admit it but I bought an unopened N64 for 300 bucks off ebay earlier this year. Definitely felt weird spending that kind of money at the time but I'm happy to have it now. Guess I'm partly the reason for the retard prices.
>>
>>6557010
>N64 for 300 bucks

Adjusting for inflation that's still a deal. You open it?
>>
File: 1589789758156.jpg (85 KB, 900x900)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>6556969

>2000
"Retro vidya has peaked and emulation will cull demand"

>2010

>2015

>2020

It will keep climbing zoomer, your reasoning is flawed. We now have low-end PC's that can emulate multiple generations flawlessly and Chink multi-carts flooding the market for pennies on the dollar, yet the prices continue to climb. You spit out conjecture without facts to back it up.
>>
>>6557021
I did. Got it RGB modded as well.
>>
>>6556652
>You are assuming steady or increased demand though
Charts prove it with no indicators otherwise.

>>6556652
>People may just be content emulating. I got off the collecting train back in the mid 2000's but still emulate.

Anecdotal.
>>
>>6555505
>its the zoomy thing to do.
>Go to bed gramps.
kek
>>6555532
>They will never come down.
and they shouldn't if there is no supply and there is still demand? they are collectors items and only someone who wants to display them and not play them should invest in stock
>>6555614
7th gen is probably in the best seat it will ever be right now, I agree, even the the xbox one, ps4, and wii u are probably good to collect now
>>6555779
>I'd start stockpiling working 360's and PS3's,
agreed
>>6556235
bullshit, nice try though commie
>>6556869
>nonsecure os
it's kinda a meme, as time goes on older versions will be even better to use
>>
>>6556697
>ebay within 5 seconds, and have it cost less
Only to have to wait a couple weeks to get it, then send it back because the seller tried to scam you with something that doesn't match the description.
>>
it will never pop. It's just like guns, once their prices go up they NEVER go back down. Just download a romset.
>>
>>6557041
Retard, it’s a cycle. Every ten to 20 years the nostalgia boom for that console hits, and prices go up. Wait a decade and prices will usually go down. Just look at the 2600, nes, and it’s starting to do the same with the snes
>>
>>6554746
Fake news. You can get 2600 games for $3 each.
>>
File: Cycle.jpg (90 KB, 957x677)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>6558469
>Retard, it’s a cycle.

Again, why don't you pull facts to back up your bullshit anon?
>>
>>6555405
>>linux is better!
>Lol. Spoken like a /g/ newfag
.....you smell like a /g/ newfag. GTFO of here with your bullshit.
>>
>>6558469
Says the faggot that's ten to 20 years old
>>
>>6560240
I think part of the low price of 2600 games comes from the fact that they're terrible. Granted, it's not the fault of the games so much as it is the fault of the ancient hardware they run on, but the point stands.

Let's be honest, >95% of 2600 games are fun for 5 minutes, then you get bored of them. It's all the same shit. You get a few moving squares, it makes some bleep bloop noises, the screen flashes, the game ends.
>>
>>6560847
There are lots of cheap games if you like sports and quiz games on all sorts of consoles.
>>
>>6560276
>that upwards tick
Oh how I can’t wait to see this chart updated through june
>>
>>6555779
Name a single good or popular ps3 game that didn't got ported to ps4. That console is worthless unless you already have old games laying on your shelf.
>>
Never you dumbass poorfag.
>>
>>6557060
>I did
God you're retarded
>>
>>6562189
3d dot game heroes is stuck on that forever, first one that comes to mind for me.
>>
It's closer than you think. Look at how much the NES library has gone down. But that generation has gone out of fashion so much in the past ten years that no one has even really noticed, except for people who think they will someday be able to re-sell their NES library for a pretty penny.

I would say there's probably a ten year bubble for 4th gen and we're probably about 75% of the way through it. There's this idea that the normies will continue to clamber out of the woodwork and re-buy these games, but they won't. Regarding the 5th gen, I absolutely believe we're at the height of that bubble. Go look at what SM64 and SSB go for--it's silly.

But normies will turn their nose at that shit. Only a small fraction of people who were once-gamers will ever return to those old games by re-buying them--even less so when those libraries are inflated in price.

A small portion of video games that are rare will probably always hold value, but even that is shifting with sealed copies of widely-available games going for more money than rare games. The games market, especially for 4th gen, will probably never deflate to what it was 15 years ago when you could get two SNES, a Sega Genesis, and 100 games for $60 bucks. But it will still go down a lot from where it is right now. None of this shit has any real value. I'm not an emulator guy, all of my old games are physical--but I hope nobody here is sitting on a big pile of video games thinking they'll continue to appreciate over the next 10-20-30-40 years. They won't.
>>
>>6555614
The irony is that Wii's will soon be being re-sold in huge numbers, to an audience that only wants Wii Sports and maybe Wii Sports Resort. That was a one-game console.
>>
>>6557041
What exactly are you talking about before 2010? Retro games was a fucking bunch of junk lots on eBay, everything was dirt cheap then. It's so easy to price chart SNES/Genesis games up and then back down in the 2010s, that thing has already peaked. The fifth gen--the N64 especially--is peaking hard right now, and the fourth gen continues to go back down. Third gen games don't even really move on store shelves anymore, only at auctions.
>>
Recently sold my entire collection of games, approx 80 games, 6 controllers, and a retron 5.

The total value of the individual games was approx $1480 using the lowest possible eBay price, and then the retron5 was worth about $200

I ended up getting $1100 for everything which was the best offer I ended up getting over about 3 months of trying to sell it. The majority of the value was tied up in about half the games with the other half mostly made up of commons like NES pinball etc.

Don’t regret it at all as they were just sitting in my closet and I had purchased a $4000 shotgun so it was nice to get some cash towards that.

I think there was a time where I could have squeezed out a couple hundred more, however during covid I had mixed feelings as people seemingly wanted to play retro games but they also didn’t have the money to buy the lot.

Imo I think the guy who I sold them to likely had a buyer for the entire lot right away as he didn’t seem to care when I showed him the conditions of the games that actually mattered.
>>
>>6554746
>>6554758
In reality it will probably never go down at this point. General inflation has already taken hold. Remember there were games that retailed new in the range of $90 in the 90's. The era where you could go into any random pawnshop and find Chrono Trigger or Metal Warriors for five bucks was always an anomaly and never coming back.
>>
>>6562189
Yakuza Dead Souls
Tokyo Jungle
Infamous 1 and 2
Katamari Forever
Little Big Planet 1 and 2
>>
>>6563470
All of them are shit that nobody cares about the only good games on the piss3 are PS2 remasters
>>
>>6563506
>moving the goalposts
You asked me to name some popular PS3 games and I did. Whether or not you like them is irrelevant.
>>
>>6562204
I actually wanted a lifetime of use out of it rather than an investment. Color me retarded.
>>
>>6554746
When late gen x and gen y all die of old age.
>>
>>6556869
Nobody bothers writing malicious code for fucking XP anymore, the point the malware is to cast a wide net on the most used OS and try to catch a few people. Because of how horridly out of date and unused XP is no modern malware will work on it, it’s just too old. If all your doing is going to rom site to emulate you aren’t likely to run into anything. Also you wouldn’t be keeping valuable info on an old XP machine. Most websites don’t even work with XP compatible browsers, only websites that are mostly text will even display correctly.

I have an old windows 98 PC connected to the net with no anti virus or anything and never encountered any weird processes or directories. Again nobody is gonna waste their time to keylog or spybot your ancient dinosaur PC because most people who still have only have them for gaming or as a novelty, no valuable info is gonna be there. Malware wants modern OS PCs that people actually use for banking and paying bills with sensitive data stored on it.

You can use 98 or XP with no protection with impunity.
>>
>>6554746
It has already popped for Atari and other systems are not far behind. If you want to go to the market and buy a tub of games for $10, that aint going to happen. Why would someone go to the trouble of doing that just to make $10. If you had a game worth $10 why go the effort of selling it, its much easier just to make money at your job.

Now you can getting very close replicas of gameboy, nes, geneis, snes and n64 cartridges, if you want cheap games its easy to get.

Also your faulty for waiting until 2020 to buy your retro games. Previous gen games are being sold now in games shops for $2 just like happened with ps1 games many years ago.

>>6554779
I find it strange how kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s collect all sorts of things from their childhood where as I have never really seem a boomer who grew in the 50s and 60s care one bit about the toys and things they grew up with, there are exceptions such as matchbox cars but not much else.

>>6554778
But some young people actually give a shit about old games from playing mario on switch.
>>
>>6563816
>I find it strange how kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s collect all sorts of things from their childhood where as I have never really seem a boomer who grew in the 50s and 60s care one bit about the toys and things they grew up with, there are exceptions such as matchbox cars but not much else.

It also makes it a unique precedent as in the zoomers are really the first generation who had parents who played video games and thus are more supportive of the hobby. Whereas boomers were more apt to get matchbox cars and shit from their parents who never grew up with vidya.
>>
File: cool story bro samus.jpg (27 KB, 200x200)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>6563813
>i know nothing and have very little experience
>ima blogpost about how ignorant and inexperienced i am
>>
File: mis.png (39 KB, 200x200)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>6554746
Right NOW
Gamestop is selling all of their retro shit at reasonable prices, hurry the fuck up

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/retro-gaming/pre-owned?pmid=ECOM-062820B2PO14.99G2Free&rule=best-matches&start=216
>>
>>6554746
The thing is the supply is only going to decrease over time - unless they start making old games again (reissues?) then the supply of old cartriges will keep going down. They’ll get lost, destroyed, and thrown away.

Assuming demand stays constant, the decrease in supply will mean prices will continue to naturally increase over time.
>>
>>6563984
Everything decent is already gone if it was ever in stock to begin with.
>>
>>6560812
What, did you type this on mommy’s phone?
>>
>>6560276
>shows a chart of video game prices IN GENERAL
Retard
>>
>>6563813
>>>/g/
>>6563984
Boycott Game$top.
>>
>>6564014
Supply increase did nothing.
>>
>>6564039
>no u
slick burn kiddo
>>
>>6554778
Mid-Late era Elvis was based as fuck.
>High at all times
>'cagugh in a truh', still get cheered
>A fool's gold sandwich every night before bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66WNiQhr3ss
>>
>>6560847
someday soon people will be typing exactly this sentiment but about SNES/Genesis games

It's already happened to the NES
>>
>>6558362
nice cope, merchant
>>
>>6554841
This. We'll be forced to pay subscriptions to get access to the new databases
>>
>>6563952
I’ve never gotten anything on my 98 machine, you have to go out of your way to try to get hit.
>>
I was too late. It hurts.
>>
>>6564938
If it’s any consolation, at best that was a scam and at worst it ended with a dick in your ass.
>>
>>6564938
This is the one thing FB Marketplace is good for, it's re-introduced boomer dipshits into the buy/sell/trade thing. All of the eBay boomers are too savvy--or worse, they think everything is worth more than it is.
>>
>>6564902
>I’ve never gotten anything on my 98 machine
All that proves is you're young and inexperienced. If you'd been using 98 back in the day and running shit you downloaded off the internet you would have gotten fucked many times.
>you have to go out of your way to try to get hit
No. All you have to do is download and run something that's infected.
>>
>>6554746
It'll never disappear. Just like there's book collectors out there who pay insane prices on texts that 99% of humanity will never give a shit about.

Difference being that the prices on individual generations of gaming will fluctuate. A few decades from now, don't be surprised if you see Xbox 360 games reaching triple digits.
>>
>>6564948
It's what I hate about retro gaming stores everywhere around here, they simply look at the highest tickets on eBay and charge that much in the store.
>>
>>6555434
Can confirm. A few years back an NES cib was expensive as shit. Now you can get them relatively cheap
>>
>>6565002
>back in the day
at no point was I ever talking about back in the day, I was always talking about using it now today

even back in the day the worst I got were those adware pop up windows for 0% down on a new convertible or free vacation to Cancun or whatever shit like that, and you’d X out one and 3 more would pop up
>>
It will go by system generation, besides actual rare games, 99% of games will eventually deflate in prices.

Atari collecting peaked in the 90s, now you can’t even sell them. Everyone who grew up with Atari are now in their 40’s/50’s, possibly pushing 60’s depending. Nostalgia is over and collecting has died down for the system.

Nintendo(nes) is starting to deflate. Nes peaked in the Late 2000’s. For the last 5 or so years prices have come down by more then a couple bucks for everything except the obvious heavy hitters. People who grew up with the nes are in their 30’s and up, and only getting older. People phase out of collecting, get too old, nostalgia wave over. Nes will only get cheaper every year now.

16 bit era is still super hot right now. But give it 10 more years. Then we can talk about it when more people get out of collecting and the nostalgia phase has passed. It will happen sooner then later.

N64, gamecube, ps1, ect, is at its current peak right now, it will never be more expensive then right now. Give it another 10-20 years and you will finally see super Mario sunshine become 30 bucks again.
>>
>>6565373
>Nintendo(nes) is starting to deflate. Nes peaked in the Late 2000’s. For the last 5 or so years prices have come down by more then a couple bucks for everything except the obvious heavy hitters.
This isn't even correct, NES games are at an all-time high
>>
>>6554746
My collection Pre-COVID was about $1600 total.

Post COVID it's over $3000.
>>
>>6560276
>Average Video Game Price
Covering a Lot of territory there
>>
>>6565373
I need money for an elective survey.
Should I sell off my modest SNES collection now and buy an Everdrive?
>>
>>6565645
Based hoax inflating the industry beyond normalfag grasp.
>>
>>6565243
You never used 98 back in the day
>>
>>6564943
this
>oops I forgot I had that one in the piel haha, it was my cousin's and he picked it up earlier today
>>
>>6565645
Mine was worth $13000, now it's $19000
>>
File: Chrono_Inflation.jpg (61 KB, 2193x314)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>6566084

Same. Just to cherry-pick a pic-related, this COVID with stimulus checks drove demand through the roof on the popular titles.
>>
>>6566457
Earthbound even more so. Can't believe that common game is hitting $300 loose now
>>
>>6566457
>>6565845
Shit. Time to sell.
>>
>>6555240
archive.org and jdownloader, sega saturn romset is like 750 GB, it will take me few weeks but after that I am set. I hope they will not purge that site until then though.
>>
Who wants to trade my Chrono trigger for their earthbound?
>>
>>6565025
>don't be surprised if you see Xbox 360 games reaching triple digits.
My dude, that is already happening.
>>
>>6566084
>having 13k of shovelware
>>
what the fuck
>>
>>6565645
Imagine Reddit space bragging about $3000
>>
>>6568360
>New (other)
And you just know that those discs are completely covered in scratches.
>>
>>6568360
Dreamcast is the most retarded system to collect for. Just burn discs.
>>
>>6554746
Collector autists will always exist so probably never. Buy a flashcart if you really want to play on hardware.
>>
>>6568364

There is the poorfag.
>>
File: 1589136331931.png (242 KB, 800x388)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
>>6568390
>flashcart

Illegally download roms and complete lack of soul. Only the poor need apply.
>>
>>6554890
China has been making repros for a while now
>>
>>6556285
>ywn ash your cigarette on an elvis plate
Feels bad man
>>
>>6556636
>horror games
Why tho>>6556969
>video games are niche
Your mom played vidya
>>
>>6568402
That's all you can do with those prices and your bootleg repro carts are also illegally downloaded roms unless you actually do buy them "authentic" and if you do you deserve to get ripped off with chinkshit.
>>
>>6557060
Why not just use s video its good enough
>>6560240
2600 games aren't fancy enough to pique anyones interest
>>
>>6562495
RE4 Wii edition is pretty decent too
>>
>>6562613
>triggerniggers
Every time
Fuck jarpigs
>>
>>6555243
>what did he mean by this
>>
>>6565845
Kys tranny
>>
File: EbxYKNuUwAEGLL7.jpg (1.22 MB, 1131x1600)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>6568434
Actually it's a genioplasty to improve my underbite and chin profile, which'll make me look more masculine, but you know.
>>
>2013
>have four SMB/Duck Hunt carts
>go to brand new retro vidya shop in the mall
>moron hipsters running the place give me twenty bucks a piece for each SMB/Duck Hunt
>eighty fucking dollars
>for four copies of the most ubiquitous and worthless NES game of all time
>for four copies of a game so common that many people had multiples of it
>for four copies of motherfucking SMB/Duck Hunt
>even just fifteen dollars for all of them would have been too much
>but these guys gave me twenty for each and eighty in total
>six months later and lease is up
>store gone
>>
>>6568459
>2020
>larping
>seething
>>
It's going to end like the beanie babies fad
>>
>>6568605
>Not everything is a fad BLM baby
>>
>>6568360
lol, what is this registration card bullshit?
is that actually considered valuable now ?
>>
>>6562189
Folklore, 3d Dot Heroes, Puppetter, Katamari Forever.
>>
>>6568709
It came with the original game doesn't matter if it was an expired chicken coupon, such is the life of a collectorcuck
>>
>>6568709
Actually yes
>>
>>6554841
This is sad.

>>6555249
This anon is actually right. Right now it's so theoretical but yes there have been methods to do this. Here is one I found doing a quick search but there have been others.
>https://www.pcmag.com/news/black-hat-researcher-shows-why-air-gaps-wont-protect-your-data

I can never find the link, but does any anon have that video where security researchers were able to hack a CRT screen so that you could see what was on it? I don't mean at a software level, they had some radio receiver that took the signal from a CRT. It's very /vr/. I think it was on a the screen savers or some old tech tv show.

>>6555405
>/g/ newfag
>install gentoo
>stallman stickied
Pick one dumb shit

>>6560240
This will be the canary in the coal mine. 2600 games have always been cheap in the scene. When when you start seeing "Combat" for $10 then you'll know.

>>6562603
This is the strange thing. I too have sold my collection a couple of times and when you go to resell, those inflated prices you see online are never there for you. You get low balled to shit. It's as if people hoard the games. It's all scarcity.

>>6563813
>Nobody bothers writing malicious code for fucking XP anymore
You'd be surprised. There are a lot of machines out there running critical parts of infrastructure that still are targets for XP. I think there is a way to still get official support too from MS (might of ended this year actually). XP embedded too.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14200/microsofts-windows-xp-finally-dead-last-embedded-version-reaches-eol

I think there is still a way to get updates through the developer channel I forget.
>>6562189
>ps3 worthless
>retro arch, ps1,ps2,ps3, PSP, use youtube on a CRT, wireless controller, several good wire controllers (arcade joysticks)

pick one anon

OP, the prices will continue to be expensive, however FPGA replicas and flashcarts are so much better. Go buy the 10 favorites from when you were a kid, and use a flashcart for the rest.
>>
>>6568709
You have no idea. the "complete" in CIB isn't ironic like when people call you a "complete idiot"
>>
>>6554748
this, they have caught on to the emulation game. so it's gonna go up.
>>
File: 5d088afe76f4a824f99e3aba.jpg (104 KB, 1536x1132)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>6568807
>but does any anon have that video where security researchers were able to hack a CRT screen
You know that's actually why the classic British blinds design exists, MI5 realised their computer screens could be compromised that way and the multi blind design means it cant be done as the hack requires certain line of sight. So to hide it from the soviets they made it so every new council house got them to make it just seem like a new style. I think we're talking about the same thing.
>>
>>6569427
I'd really like to think you're trolling and just very bad at it but I'm pretty sure you're just retarded. Are you going to cope and fail like all the other stupid children before you?
>>
Never, not even joking. Right now on ebay the price of a ps2 is $150+, snes 190+ it's insane and it's only going to get worse as millennials with money keep proping up this market. I remember like not even 5 years ago a snes was about 60 and a ps2 like 20 bucks. It's insane
>>
>>6569679
Resellers have moved on to 6th gen now. I saw a "i know what I have" listing on CL for an xobx with shovelware titles for $1,500 I wished I saved it. Reddit is pushing this the retro gaming collecting scene is now on 6th ge n.
>>
>>6569679
I swear I remember a ps2 going for like $40-50ish not that many years ago. I could see a ps4 being $150 used, that's too much still.

When did this happen?
>>
>>6566754
Are they actually going to pull the plug on internet archive?
>>
>>6569679
how is this possible, ps2 is one of most common consoles ever
>>
>>6570203
Scumbag reseller can name their price and there's an army of redditors out there that open their wallets. Items sell for inflated prices, get fixed, then keep going up and up.
>>
>>6570214
what are you, poor?
>>
>>6554746
Eventually carts will be valuable enough that manufacturers will start selling them new again. That's when the value of everything will fall into the abyss.
>>
I think it's probably gonna pop once the nostalgia cycle gets to the generation who've never really owned physical games and only download shit. We already have a bunch of them who always pop up in these kinds of threads to talk about how little emotional attachment they have to physical media.
>>
>>6569679
>Right now on ebay the price of a ps2 is $150+
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayStation-2-Console-PS2-FAT-System-SCPH-39001-w-1-controller-8-mg-card/274417412977?hash=item3fe48d6b71:g:rykAAOSwAIde~3oR

Sure it is.
>>
>>6570250
>Eventually carts will be valuable enough that manufacturers will start selling them new again.
They would if they didn't bin the source code, which almost every Japanese developer did. A lot of old games are also stuck in copyright hell from developers and publishers going bust
>>
>>6570342
Broken front face plate, third party memory card and a ps1 controller, for $60? How about $10 with free shipping instead?
>>
>>6570230
Even if I was filthy rich I wouldn't spend money on games that can be emulated near flawlessly on a toaster. Matter of fact, why do people even buy this shit in the first place?
>>
>>6570737
Because i dont like input lag
>>
>>6570448
They don't need source code. They just throw the roms onto compatible new carts. Source code would only be useful if they wanted to spend time and effort fixing bugs, which they wouldn't.
>>
>>6570250
Maybe by then you'll be old enough to understand how retarded your claim is. An antique table doesn't suddenly become worthless because someone makes a new table.

>>6570448
Hold shit, you're even more retarded than the tard you're replying to. You don't need source code to make a cart zoomie.
>>
>>6570250

>Be iam8bit
>Get official license for Mega Man X from Capcom to reproduce SNES cart
>8,500 production run
>Loaded with goodies, even official reprint manual
>$100 retail, cheaper than average price for original cart complete in box on Ebay
>6 months later, still not sold out.
>Original Mega Man X price wasn't affected, in fact it has went up since then

Collectors want the original from their childhood. Zoomers will just download the rom.
>>
>>6555450
I don't have links other than posting random eBay auctions and telling you how I know that guy bought out an old warehouse.

>>6556697
I have actually found that local game stores have been cheaper than eBay and Amazon for a lot of games. It does not matter though, they are both going downhill.
>>
>>6570737
Can't you just get in the Bathtub and piss in your own mouth?
>>
>>6571058
Capcom are licensing whores and they thought it would sell out like the Street Fighter cartridges. They also made some dumb shit like that 1943 Joystick that was a stupid amount of money.

>>6570250
I have actually looked into acquiring licensing rights from games to press new cartridges or discs. License holders think their shit doesn't stink and want unrealistic amounts of money for absolute crap. They will line up willingly though to cheapen their product through a digital download platform though.
>>
>>6569652
What is your problem? Are you mentally challenged?
>>
>>6570342
>Everything was wiped down with Clorox wipes.
based and corona-pilled
>>
>>6557041
gotta break it down by gen. atari stuff was crazy expensive (relatively) at some point. did you ever wonder why there were compliations of atari and intellivsion games on retro consoles?

Outside of /vr/'s trumpbux driving prices, most zoomers talk about "accessibility of games" when it comes to 3rd and 4th gen games. they just want the hits and may not even buy the hardware. this shit will burn out just like juke boxes and neon signs.
>>
i think I've given up on ever affording more games and I'll just appreciate what I've already got
>>
File: (You).jpg (57 KB, 600x600)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>6571140
>why yes i am going to cope how could you tell
>>
>>6571225
Why not just buy flashcarts?
Unless a game is very special to you there's no real reason to own an original copy.
>>
>>6569679
>tfw I got ps2 6 months ago (10 years after I sold my original model) for like 40$
>>
>>6571378
I saw a slim model on my local craigslist maybe 3 years ago for $5, came for all cables, two controllers and a memory card. I could kick myself for not picking it up at the time. Now my cl is pretty much dead most likely due to the virus.
>>
>>6571225
You're better off emulating or if you must use real hardware use flashcarts. This market will never deflate, I've been waiting almost a decade for it to happen and I've come to terms that it wont. So long as wealthy millennial redditors are willing to pay top dollar for plastic toys things won't change.
>>
The bubble is never going to pop. Collectorfags have been saying "just wait, the bubble will pop any day now" since at least 2005. It isn't going to happen. Video games will become like comic books.
>>
>>6571534
Should i sell my gaming computer so i can afford a $100 sega master system
>>
>>6571058
That's how it works when vinyl gets repressed too. Originals typically retain their value.
>>
>>6565026
They're taking from Ebay and upselling. Those games don't come out of thin air
>>
>>6571695
No retro game store does this (outside of bulk lots, overlooked auctions, etc to get stuff cheaper than usual), they would never make enough profit to sustain themselves. That would be like grocery stores buying all of their goods from Walmart to resell.
>>
>>6571724
Many small shops buy from big box stores and resell. It's often cheaper than buying from "wholesalers" and the best option if you don't move a container of cheetos. It's a retarded comparison and you should have just left it out as it really damages your credibility.
>>
>>6554778
I understand what you're trying to say but I'm not sure that's an appropriate comparison. Were kitshy collectibles like that ever that popular, to the extent that videogames are? I imagine the number of people interested in old games is much larger than those that bought things like Elvis merch, especially considering that the market for the latter was always old farts.
>>
File: Inflation_myth.jpg (561 KB, 2592x1944)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
>>6571058
Still have the original from my childhood, and it cost way more then than what it is now. The US game goes for about $22 now, and the JP one even less around ¥500-1500JPY. That new one seems really nice to have, and it may be worth $100, but that price is a few days of work and people may not want to spend that on something easy to emulate.
>>
Never because every single year more and more games will dissapear because the games will break or get destroyed.
Just get a flashcart.
>>
you collectards faggots are the cancer of retro gaming, literarally just hoarding plastic in a futile attempt to fill the void
>>
File: videodgames.jpg (1.13 MB, 1780x1500)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
I need money. How much is this stuff worth?
>>
>>6573923
Not as much as you think
>>
>>6573923
my guess is probably at least a couple hundred bucks, can't really say beyond that though
>>
If you don't plan on reselling the shit you buy, who cares. If you are buying video games as some investment you are a retard.
>>
>>6573923
About tree fiddy
>>
>>6573904
Stfu poorfag, continue to wallow in the filth of emulation
>>
>>6554746
Let em keep going up, I'm selling all my games off and the high prices are doing me good.
I can pretty much emulate anything I want to play these days, the novelty of having an expansive game collection has worn off.
On a side note, do collectors who buy on ebay REALLY give a shit about registration cards? I keep seeing other listings putting it as a selling point and it just seems fucking retarded. Selling has really made me loathe game collectors.
>>
File: Texas boi.jpg (185 KB, 1000x1088)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
OH NO NO NO NO
>>
I'm 24 (Old Zoomer?). I have no fucking idea why anyone would want to collect $100 plastic cartridges each holding ~12 MB of data that are probably starting to rot/capacitors blown or some shit.

Meanwhile I have a bunch of NoIntro complete collections just chilling on my SSD and backed up multiple times.

Whatever floats yer boat tho. We're still enjoying the same games
>>
>>6574024
>investment
always some fag seething about how video games can't be investments in these threads. they are, you nigger, and a really good one too. sorry you missed the boat and are upset about it.

saturn games for example are on a neverending moon mission, 200% returns over past three years even on common titles, better performance than 90% of nyse
>>
>>6574670
Why would anyone want to collect $10,000 comic books when you can read digital versions, scans, or reprints? Why would anyone want to collect trading cards when they can look at scans, print their own, or play online versions? Why would anyone want to collect vintage books when you can borrow from the library, download e-books, or buy mass market paperbacks?

People don't collect video games just to play them. They collect them because they enjoy the act of collecting.
>>
>>6574724
To put it simply, autists.
>>
>>6574724
I get it man, I just think chasing the "act of collecting" isn't worth it for retro games when they were already digital in the first place.
>>
>>6574724
absolute perversion

spiritually spiritually the developer of the game by essentially destroying their work and replacing it with a ghost of their effort, rotting on your shelf, collecting dust, unplayed

this is why art and the concept of a "craft" will not survive much longer -- just products to purchase and "own"
>>
>>6555256
you are powerfully retarded
>>
>>6574826
Even worse are the cunts who get games graded and seal them in cases that are not to be opened, just so they can feel accomplished that they own a 95 rated copy of Super Mario Bros for NES
They're games. Play the fucking games.
>>
>>6574826
>>6574831
I would think, on some level, that someone purchasing legit carts appreciates the "art" and the "craft" of the original vision just fine.

It just seems easier to do that digitally in my opinion.
>>
>>6574832
I get wanting physical copies of games to be able to touch and play on the original hardware, but when you get to the point of wanting a "complete collection", paying premium for boxes and manuals, with thousands of games on your shelves that you never intend to play, then what's the fucking point?
>>
File: shrug.png (7 KB, 167x303)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>6554746
I stopped caring the moment flashcarts became affordable, you fight for your $500 "I know what I have" copy of Legend of Zelda, I'll be here playing the entire library on original hardware for the cost of a single game
>>
>>6574242
>what is everdrive
I knew collectards were retarded but this is too much.
>>
>>6574845
This. If I didn't already have a sizable collection I would use nothing but flashcarts as well. It's just not worth buying vidya at the prices these fuckers are asking, better spent elsewhere.
>>
>>6574724
>People don't collect video games just to play them. They collect them because they enjoy the act of collecting.
>>6574784
>I get it man, I just think chasing the "act of collecting" isn't worth it for retro games when they were already digital in the first place.
People collect for a variety of reasons just because you don't think its worth it doesn't mean they don't. For many of these collectors the thrill is in the hunt.
>>
File: rape_my_wallet.jpg (106 KB, 1200x900)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>6573824
>>
>>6573824
Inflation adjusted:

>Mega Man X
$124.19
>Perfect Dark
$89.28
>>
>>6573923
Over $500 +/- about $100, Earthbound goes for $150+ and Chrono Trigger goes for over $100 and Kirby Dreamland 3 is around $80+ but your's is beat up. Mario RPG and Breath of Fire are about $50. Everything else goes for about $40 or less. Except for maybe Lufia, not clue where that is at these days. All depends on how the eBay auctions go.
>>
>>6571631
But comics are worthless....
>>
>>6574702
Bet the people who invested in beanie babies thought the same
>>
>>6574670
>I have no fucking idea
That's all you needed to say
>>
>>6555254
https://www.theregister.com/2013/09/23/intel_stuns_world_with_wakeon3g/
>>
File: tin-foil-hat.jpg (19 KB, 348x406)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>6576603
Cool story bro
>>
>>6568459
Yeah great story. I'm sure two guys who had the wherewithal to open an old games store simply didn't do any homework at all. Seems real.
>>
What are the prices on Japanese systems like? Nothing rare but your normal stuff like PC-engine, twin Famicom and some of the computers.. Have they gone down in price or only going up?
>>
>>6563816
>I find it strange how kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s collect all sorts of things from their childhood where as I have never really seem a boomer who grew in the 50s and 60s care one bit about the toys and things they grew up with, there are exceptions such as matchbox cars but not much else.

Have you ever been to an actual indoor flea market? There's definitely shops that cater to boomers much in the same manner, like toy train hobbyist shops. They're just few and far between. Actually the fact that the market wasn't as saturated with consumer trash like it is today and that very little of it survived doesn't help either. People were still sowing their own jeans FFS.
>>
>>6576824
lol I've seen a lot of popup retro stores run by kiddies that should be in class come and go. Tho most of them are located at indoor flea markets.
>>
>>6578281
Never been to a flea market. I shop exclusively on ebay. I also never seen any boomers showing off their toys on tiktok so obvz no boomers have things from their childhood. Maybe all their 50s and 60s toys broke because they were made fo cheap in China.
>>
Got into collecting last year when I wanted to teplay Resident Evil 3 before the remake came out. I spent the $60 no problem (have a Wii) it's a good game. Then I wanted other games. Never got to play Eternal Darkness, another $60. Wanted to give F-Zero GXs story mode another go, another $60. I was hoping these were exceptions, they arent.

It's slow going but I'll have a cool collection in time.
>>
>>6579006
>outright admitting that you're part of the problem
Why would you do this? however I doubt your post is legit. People don't own a Wii without hacking it and someone with a hacked Wii would have just pirated the GC games.
>>
>>6579189
Idk man i got a wii but not hacked
>>
>>6579006
>>6579190
low effort bait
>>
>>6554778
I can sense the bitterness cope coming from this post.
Anyway, even if video games can't be compared to elvis merchandising, here's the thing:
Even if retro games start decreasing its value by the time people born in the 20th century start dying, zoomers will also be old anyway. You're just bitter because you weren't around when retro games were actually the new thing, or when retro games weren't expensive collectables (early 2000s), as you were probably a baby.
>>
>>6576468
Why is Beanie Babies the only comparison you retards ever make? Are you really that braindead?
>>
File: 20200707_122932.jpg (1.92 MB, 2880x2160)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>6579189
Why am I part of the problem? Buying games? I never understood this "true gamer niggas steal" mentality.

>>6579190
Not me.
>>
Until someone invents a cure for autism the prices are never going dow
>>
>>6579694
Baseball cards, stamps, tin toys, tin signs are all also terrible 'investment' fads

>investing in a rare collectible that was made in the hundreds of thousands-millions
>>
>>6579959
video games aren't a fad, lmao. you are thinking about this completely wrong. legos would be an apt comparison, worthless garbage like beanie babies and stamps are not.
>>
>>6580287
Physical game copies are barely a thing anymore. Game companies keep re-releasing old video games in some digital format.
>>
>>6580346
Old physical copies will become MORE of a thing, the next generation (ps6, xboxwhatever) will possibly have no disc drive or ability to play physical media. When people realise they traded data burnt into a physical object for downloads people will want more old games.
>>
>>6554746
Where can I get those cute cart supporters?
>>
File: 1570188552535-v.gif (313 KB, 300x300)
313 KB
313 KB GIF
>>6580414
I know this is /vr/ and not the place to whinge about modern consoles but holy fuck those new optical drive-less models Sony and Microsoft are planning to launch are such a scam.
Physical games have pretty much always been cheaper than digital (outside of extreme discounts seen maybe twice a year during sales, and even then often not) because brick and mortar shops are actually subject to competition; department stores will even sell titles at a loss if it increases foot traffic and the likelihood you'll buy something else, which results in much better deals for the consumer. The PlayStation and Xbox electronic storefronts have no such competition because if you buy the Sony/MS hardware you have to shop at the company store. A digital-only console obviously limit you to buying -only- from the vendor, which means you're exchanging a paltry discount on the price of entry to get fucked in the ass by the manufacturer's monopoly.

I pity any low income parents who buy their kids the cheaper next-gen consoles, not just for the obvious reasons but because it'll end up costing exponentially more in the long run.
>>
>>6581063
Guys like you and me are dinosaurs you realize. We're gonna die out and nobodys gonna care about what we think. Nobody cares about any of these latest violations of human decency
>>
>>6581063
Most people are retarded niggers
>>
>>6581063

your story is cute but also out of touch with reality. sales on playstation store are generally better than brick and mortar disc sales.
>>
>>6571058
you forgot one thing

>may fry up your console

Enjoy your pretty S.o_ybait bricks.
>>
>>6580414
Only in rom format. Physical cartridges won't go down in price because the biggest market for them are 40 something year olds who finally paid off the student loans on their liberal arts degree and have no children to spend money on. Original retro cartridges and anime figs will only ever go up in price. The forever alones will see to it.
>>
>>6581121
Whys it always a liberal arts degree? Are you so stupid you think people with stem degrees have it better? We dont. The economy is broken anon.
>>
>>6581121
>and anime figs will only ever go up in price
I unironically believe this 100%, buy prime 1 now while it's cheap
>>
>>6581121
There's just a big population of disenfranchised and aging, childless soon-to-be spinsters out there too.
Protip: Invest in pet care, food, and animal grooming. These women have pets and nothing else to spend to their money on.
>>
>>6581126
>We dont
EE major here
I can attest to that
>>
>>6581126
Bruh, sociology isn't actually a STEM degree. It's half a step up from majoring in undeclared.
>>
>>6581126
And you're missing the point, nerd.
>>
>>6555495
Indeed. I recently got Vita with SD2Vita, put Retroarch woth some overlays and the image quality is amazing. I see no reaspn to go back to original hardware
>>
For the retards "investing" why do you assume they will always be a market? The nostalgiafags either already bought what they wanted or are emulating and zoomers don't give a shit about older games they think xbox360/ps3 are outdated already let alone n64 and below.
>>
>>6581298
Im CE. 2 year neet.
>>6581238
Its bullshit
>>
>>6555502
Ted was right. Your time is gone old man. Technology sucks
>>
>>6581698
>Zoomers dont give a shit about older games
Beyond wrong. One of the big reasons for price spikes is zoomers getting spending power
You think an entire generation that has spent all their lives getting the idea that "millenials had a perfect childhood and zoomers are soulless" shoved down their throats by all the millenials and also loves to pose and try to look like they have OG gamer cred and clout is going to pass up collecting retro games? Zoomers are the bandwagon generation

Buddy. You have garbage investment advice.
>>
>>6581721
Zoomer should get the fuck out of retro and stick to playing fucking fortnite
>>
>>6581731
>frothing on late night /vr/
yikes
>>
>>6581732
T.zoomer

Retro is for boomers and millenials that grew up with them

Fuck off to fortnite
>>
File: Spoiler Image (63 KB, 443x473)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>6581738
>t. Zoomer
Guess again
>>
Ive got too many games they start taking up too much space
>>
>>6581731
>deny someone the right to feel nostalgic over their childhood, claiming yours was better
>surprised and angry when they begin to feel nostalgic over yours
Reap what you sow
>>
>>6581121
>have no children to spend money on
But those people are spending their money on a 40 year old child
>>
>>6554778
> once the rest of these boomers stroke out or get shipped to a retirement center, all your shitty plastic junk will be as valuable as elvis collectors plates
No one gives a shit about Elvis plates. How much is it for an Elvis record from the 50s?
>>
File: digitalripoff.jpg (235 KB, 2139x653)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>6581093
Maybe in America.
>>
>>6581707
Seeing as how you're under/unemployed, aren't you the neet?
>>
>>6564126
Not champion or turbo edition...meh
>>
>>656564>>6573953
Good answer,kek
>>
>>6581093
Do you think this will continue when they no longer have to compete with physcial games stores? It won't
>>
>>6555482
Based
>>
>>6554847
Lol, Biden will be replaced 20mins after they steal it, and he won’t even remember he won.
>>
>>6555125
>modern games are being made just for boomers.
L O FUCKING L
name one
>>
>>6584436
All of them man. Its all this shit for people who dont like games
>>
>>6583220
did you read my post wrong or something
>>
>>6584442
t. zoomer
>>
>>6581721
You should sell before you hoarde games became worthless
>>
you'll start to notice as i have that the further away we get from what life was back then, the more expensive these things will get and that goes with everything. i think investing in games, whether its pc, nes, sega cd, turbografx 16, whatever, its a better than precious metals like silver. i mean you can find an ounce of silver anywhere online, cant say the same for games. even mass produced games from the n64 era are 50-80 a piece. im just saying. look at the prices for a boxed copy of gold ocarina of time with box, itll soon be $200+, look at sega cd ecco tides of time, it went from $20 complete in box to 30-40+ in no time, you can barely find it for less than 75 now days. its a bettter bet than silver thats for sure, silver is not rising as fast as these games, some say even gold, even with the increase. magic the gathering cards dont even compare and you have an army of people who invest in that bullshit, literally a thin piece of cardboard. games is where its at, some games i will just buy if its cheap enough.
>>
>>6584968
t. Delusional collectorcuck
>>
File: 1266446404620.png (318 KB, 3000x2436)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
>>6554746
When their ROM chips start failing due to wear and tear.
20-40 years.
>>
>>6584968
The sad thing is you're probably being serious and don't realize that in 10 years zoomers will be able to download a 100 TB file with every game from gens 1-7, upscaled and optimized with each emulator at the click of a button onto their tablets.
You probably think emulation isn't the future, and muh gubernment will mean no more piracy of retro games. I feel bad for clueless old retards like you.
>>
>>6585312
Im a zoomer and i dont emulate.many of us dont.
>>
>>6585312
i am 100% younger than you. Emulation sucks. When you have every game available to you at your fingertips, you have nothing available to you.
thats why i dont emulate
>>
>>6585326
>>6585329
Ok retard have fun with your autistic oops I mean authentic experience
>>
>>6585332
its not about authenticity. Its about limitation. Limitation is good. When you're unlimited you just dont care as much
>>
>>6585312
The sad thing is you don't realize that in 10 years zoomers will still be stupid and incapable of doing something as simple as clicking a button.
>>
>>6554948
>>6556652
demand is not gonna go up that high. People will lose interest and supply returns as collections are sold. This is a super connected time for internet sales, research and so on. As the gaming generations move forward, stuff will drop off. We're in a window where people who grew up with games are older and have disposable income and want to get games they had, or never had.
>>
>>6585342
>>6585358
Ok boomer
>>
>>6585458
Ok zoomer

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.