[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: amstrad.jpg (6 KB, 275x183)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
did /vr/ ever own an amstrad CPC? still worth playing today?
>>
>>5202969
Yes and yes.
Try any of the Dizzy games.
>>
>>5202969
yes, play "Feud"
>>
It's a ZX Spectrum with more colourful graphics. That's the best way to describe it.
>>
Enjoy your heaps of British tape shovelware. It has no or almost no exclusive titles.
>>
.>>5203407
>It has no or almost no exclusive titles.

literally hundreds if you count all the homebrew that gets released. but that doesn't mean its good
>>
It has a Yamaha 3-voice sound chip and 16 colour graphics, unfortunately they also take 16k of memory to store which is a lot for an 8-bit CPU to handle, so Amstrad games tend to be very sluggish, plus you have a sizable chunk of your 64k of RAM eaten up by the graphics buffer.

They could also display 80 column text and run CP/M which made them a decent productivity computer.
>>
A lot of those arcade ports were bad, but trying to properly convert most >1985 arcade titles was really difficult and required a lot of time, money, and talent. So most 8 and 16 bit home computer ports were kind of destined to fail from the get-go.
>>
>>5204135
Ah, all the same some like the Spectrum R-Type were surprisingly great considering the hardware. I find Double Dragon pretty sad though, it was mutilated on nearly every system.
>>
>>5204135
even the famous "Gryzor" on CPC is only flip-screen, and missing an entire level
>>
Sometimes even competent coders struggled with time limitations. For example, the C64 R-Type was programmed by the great Manfred Trentz, but still has some blemishes due to the fact that he was given 7 weeks to finish it (like no rotating ring of enemies in Level 1).
>>
>>5204214
That port got a lot of nasty reviews from the British magazines at the time. I suspect it was because they couldn't deal with the idea of a continental doing an arcade port because back at the time, that was sort of the exclusive domain of British software houses.
>>
>>5204178
Flip screen were probably a smart idea considering the difficulty of trying to scroll around a 16k graphics screen.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzEZcfinsI
>>
>>5204238
Nigga I ain't giving him views.
>>
>>5202969
i don't understand why the magazines overrated the fuck out of so many games

you often see improbable scores like "87%"
>>
>>5204252
Paid off by the software devs.
>>
>>5202969
>still worth playing today?
No.
>>
Amstrad never even tried the US market unless maybe some of their PC clones made it here, I don't remember.
>>
File: goody1.gif (11 KB, 384x272)
11 KB
11 KB GIF
>>5202969
There some great games for CPC.
>>
The graphics look pretty good but fuck are they slow since the CPU has to do everything.
>>
>>5202969
>still worth playing today?
Maybe.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.