[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: joystick.jpg (21 KB, 425x425)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
I remember walking into GameStop this one time in the late 90s and they had this demo kiosk with a Joystick (not pic related, just an example) that would simulate different situations not just through vibration but also by moving the stick around and hardening/loosening the grip, the demo offered a few scenarios that were accompanied by sound (there was no screen involved), like : firing a gun, flying a plane, boxing match, activating some kind of magnetic device, and shifting gears on a car, from what I remember. I believe this was only for PCs.

Does anyone remember this? What was the deal with it? Seemed like a cool idea that would have been better than the shitty rumble that became the standard. I didn't even have a PC back then so I never heard from it again. Did a lot of games support it back then? Is it worth hunting one of them down for the experience?
>>
There are a bunch of force feedback joysticks, not sure which you saw back in the day
>>
>>5202659
There were a lot of controllers like that and a lot of games supported it. In some cases it was well done and gave it a degree of realism and in others it was just a gimmick. Whether it's "worth it" is up to you.
>>
File: spaceorb_3.jpg (20 KB, 350x272)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
I had this thing, it was supposed to be the best FPS. It was fucking terrible. Absolute here's your controller bro tier.
>>
>>5202659
Last I checked, force feedback is still in use. Any serious flight simmer should have one.
Fun bit of tmi- Years ago, I got a ff joystick, attached a hole made from sponge covered with soft plastic bag, and used a test software to make it rock back and forth at maximum strength and frequency. It felt very good, but I don't do it anymore.
>>
>>5204519
>here's your controller bro
>>
>>5204519
>i accidentally the entire controller
>>
>>5202659
I had the one pictured. The games that supportd it only made it vibrate or pulse a little. All that complex feedback in the demo, no game devs bothered to implement. What a waste of summer job money.
>>
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 237x213)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>5205571
Microsoft Sidewinder Forcefeedback Joystick complex rumble features are fully supported in Microsoft Flight Simulator 98/2000/2002/2004.
>>
>>5205582
Oh yeah, Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 1-3 use the MFS Engine, so it's fully supported in those too.
>>
>>5204519
picturing anon fucking his customised joystick is a joy to behold
>>
File: 1533712952811.gif (2.56 MB, 190x200)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB GIF
>>5204519

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.