[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>make a "open world" game
>put a giant huricane in the middle
>now your choices are Clockwise or Counter Clockwise

Its just johto again. Its the illusion of choice.

Theres even main paths going through the routes, meaning you will only progress by following the path.

Additionally you will be forced to stop at city's for story events, and not allowed to just jump to the top of the map at the begginning of the game.

The only "Open world" feature is being able to challenge gyms in any order, but if your forced to still go to the town, all you are doing is skipping a battle or two.

Every "new" feature from SV we had since gen 1. Only new thing is terratype.
>>
Unreplied to because i'm correct
>>
Based loner talking to himself
>>
>>51144152
>terratype
>>
schizo thread
>>
>>51144152
Why are you assuming you can't just fly across the vortex? Also your whole "clockwise/counterclockwise" logic doesn't really work because you don't need to do anything in any particular order. Just because you explore the map clockwise doesn't mean you need to go from 1 to 2 to 3 completing things. Go straight to 4 or 7 if you want.
>>
>>51144152
Eh it's still better than Johto if it circles around
what I mean is that unlike Johto midgame you wouldn't really need to backtrack unless you want specific things
>>
>>51144455
Eat up, fishes kek
>>
>>51144152
I will reply so you look like you're samefagging. You're right.
>>
>>51144152
>zoomer who only plays pokemon games thinks that "open world" means "no roadblocks of any kind."
Did you also shit and piss yourself in rage when you tried to go north from Goodsprings?
>>
>>51144455
You won't get flying until youre halfway through the game. It'll be just like PLA and SwSh where you get the abilities as you progress to climb, swim, and fly.

You'll likely only get the bike, but i doubt Game Fr(aud)eak would give you a legendary at the start of the game.
>>
>>51144152
Open world doesn’t refer to no obstacles retard, it refers to no loading in the overworld (it tends to generously exclude dungeons/buildings due to limitations). Even with the massive storm in the middle, whilst you have to loosely go clockwise/anti-clockwise you can go into any depth you want in that way - it’s a donut, not a circle. I can avoid some shitty coastal town if I want, other players might go to it.

Every mainline RPG has main routes in its story genius. It kind of has to for the narrative to work. However, if you skirt around them you can go anywhere your tools allow you to. Additional tools are rewards for engaging with the story.

The gyms aren’t the only open world retardo. If I can go to Gym City 8, even if I can’t beat the gym leader I can catch Pokémon and get items on the way. That’s open world.

This is way less restricted than Gen 2+. Gen 1 was fairly unrestricted but still had a far more obvious presentable path than Gen 9 seems to have. Gen 9 is the first game to realise the open world dream of Gen 1.

Seethe all you want, maybe when Gen 9 releases you’ll be totally right and I’ll be totally wrong. But you’re pretty fucking stupid to jump to this conclusion. I’m not even saying it’ll be a great game.
>>
>>51144475
Open world is gta.
>>
>>51144478
You don't get to use the legendary in battle early on but you will get to ride it. Pay attention to the leaks.
>>
>>51144152
So it’s botw
Every open world has routes so you don’t get lost you know
They also have cutscenes for story event
I think you don’t play games at all desu
>>
you all fell for my bait hah
>>
>>51144152
they hated op because he told the truth
>>
>>51144152
You are wrong on many levels.
First of all, you will not be forced to stop anywhere for story beats, you don’t even need to engage with aspects of the story you don’t like since the 3 story threads are all done separately at your leisure. Second of all, open world doesn’t require that the world be designed in a completely open way, that would be retarded. It’s good that the map has lots of bottlenecks, separate paths, and hidden areas, it keeps the map actually fun to traverse. And I bet after doing the tutorial part that will end in the middle city, you absolutely will be able to explore the whole map before doing anything if you so choose
>>
>>51144489
Did you play GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, or GTA IV? They all have roadblocks, and unlike the deathclaws north of Goodsprings you literally can't pass them without glitches until you reach certain story points.
>>
>>51144486
Based, someone with actual intelligence
>>
>>51144489
Less gta games support your argument than go against it
>>
>>51144521
No. Only gta 5 is a real game
>>
>>51144486
>it refers to no loading in the overworld
It has never meant this.
>>
>>51144152
Who gives a shit? I don't care if it's open world or not.
>>
>>51144594
>>51144486
Gen 3 first open world game.

We won emerald chads.
>>
>>51144620
Gen 1 first open world game tho
>>
>>51144152
Here’s my best attempt at charting the main “route” that connects all the towns and cities. It’s clearly not a perfect circle and is actually pretty decent level design overall, with some split paths and loops connecting back to each other, some zigzags so it’s not a direct path, etc. Not to mention if you actually examine the path more closely you’ll see there literally tons of fucking different paths you can take to explore the same areas, they kinda weave in and out of each other like webs, and there’s LOADS of side areas and even some hidden areas. My point is to say that if you look at this map and bitch that it’s not designed on a “more open” fashion then you should kys. A map should never be completely open and picrel proves to me that they still understand how to keep a region interesting to explore even in 3D. I don’t fucking know what has changed since the abomination of SwSh but I’m very happy with it
>>
>>51144152
Is this the new "PLA isn't open world" meme?
If so at least it's blatantly ironic instead of just retarded. Learn what open world means.
>>
>>51144529
Nice samefag but he's describing the exact opposite of open world game design
>Refers to no loading
Mario 64, BOTW, Mario Odyssey, RBY/GSC, and PLA all disagree.
>>
>>51144772
>i charted the routes of an "open world game"

Do you need more proof this game is on rails, with optional areas?
>>
>>51144784
PLA isn't open world, anon.
>>
File: 1659820258369282.jpg (3.22 MB, 4000x2828)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>51144772
It's really great. I'll add some of the optional stuff
we can see some locations shown in the trailer too
>>
>>51144784
>Learn what open world means.
If it's not a world that's open, then what is it?
>>
Didn't Kaka say the map would be really small if you exclude islands?
But I see hardly any islands.
>>
>>51144812
Is the real world on rails?
>>
>it's another stealth johto hate thread
Go back, Joe.
>>
>>51144772
It has roads because you need roads for industry. It doesn't mean you can't go off the road
>>
>>51144772
While I’m at it, here’s the order I currently intend to do the gyms in.
>>
>>51144887
Whoops forgot picrel
>>
>>51144848
You have no imagination
>>
>>51144866
Map looks same size or smaller than all PLA areas combined.
>>
>>51144898
>missed the main city gym
>>
>>51144772
Yeah I don't really see what OP's problem is. Not to mention kanto and johto had roadblocks that gated off major portions of the map until an objective was completed, there's no indication that paldea will be the same.
Either way nice work on the map
>>
>>51144902
Nah, can clearly see where they'd put dungeons
>top left in the autumn area
>top right in the optional thing where there's nothing otherwise
>bottom left near the waterfall
there's not a whole lot of imagination to be had since they spoiled the whole region basically
>>
>>51144936
Nta but the additional paths you put on the map clearly weren’t very well thought through, many likely aren’t even travers able in the way you marked them
>>
>>51144945
>he forgot climbing existed
>he forgot perspective too
aiiiiie anon. find better bait next time
>>
>>51144945
They'll be traversable by climbing and gliding for sure.
>>
>>51144955
>>51144958
Yes you can get to them via climbing and flying however clearly the map is designed so 95% of it can be reached without those things, and as such I bet they’ll be late game additions, especially climbing, it would completely undermine most of the level design
>>
>>51144978
I looks like the South West town can only be reached via climbing too, or thst cave.
>>
>>51144978
Fair.
GF is honestly really not good with 3D level design - and by that I mean ever since SM
wtf even was Route 10, why did you have to take the bus instead of fucking climb up the mountain
>>
>>51145018
I think there's a direct path there on the northern edge, behind the hill.
>>
>>51145035
>and by that I mean ever since SM
>pretending XY were any better
>>
>>51145133
I dunno, the mountain seems to block
>>
>>51145158
>blocking your path
>open world

Imagine having this much cope
>>
>>51144898
Just like the golf course in alola, any optional route will be taken out
>>
>>51146215
Alola wasn't open world, dumbass.
>>
>>51145661
Are you a retard?
>>
>>51145661
>progression gates don't exist in open world game
Sure bro, you'll be gliding in the first 5 minutes. Don't ever post again
>>
>>51145661
>N-no you don't get it, it being open World means it can't have game design!
(You)'re the one coping here anon
>>
>>51144459
nothing is better then johto
>>
>>51144543
nah the older ones are better except maybe not 4
>>
>>51146288
>it only becomes open world when you finish all the main story

Wow. So like every other game in the series?

In botw you can beat the game in 30 minutes
>>
>>51146914
>In botw you can beat the game in 30 minutes
Can you? Kek
>>
>>51146927
Yes the entire game world is open, even when there are "roadblocks". You can just go around them.
>>
You fuckers know the game doesn't level scale, right?
>>
>>51147546
Even if it doesn't scale, you're not going through gym 2 to 8, without story triggers.

It'll be a giovanni situation, where half the gyms are missing until you beat part 1
>>
>>51144490
I don't understand why people don't get this. It's the exact same mechanic from PLA.
>>
>>51147546
Good.
>>
>>51148457
based
>>
>>51145018
>South West town
If you get different abilities for your mount in specific places then that's where I would put climbing, force people to go through the cave. Hopefully the dungeons in this game are actually challenging or at least interesting to explore.
>>
>>51144152
>Its just johto again
So open world then. Are you retards going to do this every time an open world game comes out and you don't understand what that actually means?
>>
>>51144152
I have a feeling this will be "open world" like Hoenn. As in, no loading screens, a seamless map.
>>
>>51144152
The map has nothing to do with open world progression and design.
The main objectives in SV are the three different routes. You can do them freely.
The main objectives in PLA involved catching Pokemon. You can do that freely.
Johto's main objectives were the gyms, 12/16 of them are capable of being done freely.
That's all Open World is. E-celebs have rotted your brain into believing games like BOTW are open world because of the way the world looks when that's not the case and your argument fails since the Great Plateau in that game is entirely linear and there are hundreds of disconnected warps and segments/loading screens preventing the world from being seamless.
>It's just Johto again
Good. Johto was about as open world as an RPG could get on the Game Boy.
>>
>>51144911
There is no main city gym.
>>
>>51146927
Just go to Hyrule Castle, assuming you're good enough to survive with 3 hearts you're set.
>>
>>51146927
Yeah, its kinda bizarre almost like a mario 64 speed run type of thing but its not a glitch. You just complete the tutorial and run straight for hyrule castle and fight ganon. Its definitely challenging but its programmed in
>>
>>51144152
>implying an open world pokemon game is or was ever a good idea.
>>
>>51151256
It is
>>
can i go straight to the ice mountain and get me an ice pokemon to start my journey or even better scout around to get me a team before i start ?

if the answer is no then it's not open world. it is the illusion of open world.

if i have to progress to get through the flag-posts gateways, it is not open world.

if it become open world only after you become the champion, it's not open world.

Don't even get me started with the lvl scaling Waterloo.
>>
>>51152652
Anon level scaling isn't in the vast majority of open world games. You can't just turn on New Vegas and waltz into death claw territory
>>
>>51147546
>Can power level on higher level mons in higher level areas
>Can get better mons early on
This is a bad thing?

>>51152853
It's not even that common. People who ask for it in every open world game are crazy, imagine if there was level scaling in souls games, everywhere you went would be the same. I'm actually pretty excited for SV, seems like it could actually be good.
>>
>>51152885
>everywhere you went would be the same
>she still didn't understand the whole complaint about no level scaling
we meant level scaling with badges retard, not soulless level scaling like in say Clover
I'm not saying level scaling with badges has no issues, since it has about as much issues as without
both ways work in-game but a lot of people waited for the meme in Origins to be canon, complaint is understandable I guess
>>
>>51152904
Maybe I am a retard but I still feel like that would have issues. You'd have to make it work for the whole area around the gym too. It would be silly to get to the "final" gym which is surrounded by level 60 mons with better stats and moves but have the gym leader be capped. And again you'd have to account for more than just levels. Would it de-volve the gym pokemon? Remove/add moves based on how many badges you have? What about all the other gym trainers and trainers along the route? Would they adjust the wild pokemon spawn rates?

I'm not saying it's impossible or couldn't be interesting, but it would be a massive fucking hassle and I dont trust gamefreak to do it. It makes more sense to just do what elden ring did and have the different areas be different level. Though it's a lot harder to go through pokemon underleveled. Or maybe im just a shitter.

Either way we don't have enough info to be able to know for sure.
>>
>>51152853
Yeah you can. If you get past them you can make it to vegas
>>
>>51152981
Yeah badge-based level scaling is pretty hard to balance too.
I feel like GF tried at some point then just threw it when they realize they'd have game balance issues anyways.
They prefered making a "the player decides, at their own risk" type of balance which honestly fits a bit more Pokémon imo
>>
>>51144475
No. I just went through black mountain. Quarry is death tho.
>>
Seeing how there are 3 story lines I figure gym progression won't be the main driving force of the story. It's probably going to be the treasure hunt thing. You'll be able to do that then go back to any gym you want is what I think will happen.
>>
File: 1658717144074523.png (184 KB, 359x255)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
>>51144152
>Its just johto again. Its the illusion of choice.
>>
>>51144486
Almost. Not only minimal loading, but also free roaming with no arbitrary blocks, only natural gameplay ones.
>>
>>51144152
This is a pretty retarded statement.

Lots of Open World games have a central location that's unavailable to the player at first. By this logic BotW is linear because Hyrule Castle is too dangerous for most players at the start of the game.
>>
>>51153358
Its not, because you can go to high rule castle without having 20 rival fights
>>
>>51144455
this brings up an interesting point
you don't have to go from 6 oclock to 7 to 8 to 9, or from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3.
you can go 6 to 7 then go to 5. furthermore, there's more than one thing along some radial lines so you even going to a specific spot "on the clock" gives you multiple options.
e.g. you van choose to go to the farm town or the resort looking town without having to go to the other first, even though they're both in the bottom left quadrant, or within 7-8 o'clock
>>
>>51144870
This, fuck off trannies
>>
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by how (mostly) civil this thread has been so far lmao. Being on /vp/ as long as I have has made me jaded, so a decently long thread where actual healthy discussions are occurring that hasn't devolved into mass shit flinging is a breath of fresh air.
>>
>>51153638
Every thread on vp gets burried under pokegirl feet threads
>>
>N-no it's not open world because t-t-they put an obstacle in my way! That's not how OPEN world works!!!!
>It should be a flat, empty plane that scales EXACTLY to my level everywhere to encourage exploration!
>>
>>51144489
>Pokemon GTA
>Have to jack people's cars by challenging them to a pokemon battle
>>
You don't have to do the entire region in one direction...
>>
File: koraidon climbing.png (1.74 MB, 1920x1080)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB PNG
>>51146215
>optional route
I swear, it's like you people purposefully ignore all possible relevant info just so that your opinions can be as retarded and ill informed as humanly possible.
>>
>>51144152
You can't even go in a certain location on BOTW without the correct equipment, which you can only work on as you progress.

Shut up with your illusion of choice bullshit.
>>
>>51144152
Also there's 3 main stories and they said you can do them in any order at any pace. Very very unlikely the main points of each story will be in the exact same locations...
>>
>>51153638
I've noticed the same. Dare I say Gen 9 will revive /vp/
>>
>>51144536
The one they've been working on for the past decade is the one people are talking about, not retro shit
>>
>>51144152
Can't I just climb around the crater or does Koraidon only learn Rock Climb after beating Grusha?
>>
>>51144152
i dont really mind much either way
>>
Let's be real: Most open world designs are bad. Giving the player too much freedom results in large amounts of nothing.

The best "Open" games are the Xenoblade ones because their open areas are constrained and focused to an end point to reach.
>>
>>51152853
Yes you can.
If you're good at the game, you can even kill one, or just evade them and get to Vegas that way.
>>
>>51152853
>You can't just turn on New Vegas and waltz into death claw territory
>>
>>51155387
By that they mean:
Main story
Gym story
Pokedex completion

So its basically like every game in the series.

It even says it will be mandatory to finish some parts before others.

So yeah, ill informed bullshit
>>
>Have to hear about level issues for the next 4 years from everyone

Here we go.
>>
>>51155376
What? Once you leave the very short tutorial area you can go anywhere in BOTW. You can upgrade your tools but you don't need to and you never gain any new ones later in the game.
>>
Did anyone in this thread even play the games they're talking about?
>>
>>51152981
> It would be silly to get to the "final" gym which is surrounded by level 60 mons with better stats and moves but have the gym leader be capped.

incredibly easy fix, while the average level of pokemon goes up the farther from the capital you get there is always a mix of different levels in each area. also you cant catch high level pokemon anymore that was already a thing in swsh.

>And again you'd have to account for more than just levels. Would it de-volve the gym pokemon? Remove/add moves based on how many badges you have?

you literally just make 8 teams for each leader, you are massively overcomplicating things.i dont know why you are pretending there isnt a standard for what gym leaders at different levels have on their teams.

>What about all the other gym trainers and trainers along the route? Would they adjust the wild pokemon spawn rates?

why would they do any of that?
>>
>>51144152
The real "not open world" factor is the fact you're going to be required to go through all three storylines before you can reach the finale instead of being able to do it whenever you damn well please as long as you're powerful enough for it.
You'd think they would take that cue from BotW with how much both PLA and SV rip it off.
>>
>>51156211
Not him, but plenty locations have temperatures too dangerous for you to traverse without precautions, be some combination it an excess of healing items to cheese a run through that area, elixirs, or equipment outright (both weapons and armor).
>>
>>51150234
Yeah but said gyms can be done in any order. Which means you can go to last area the moment you pick your starter (maybe even earlier?). Point is, without scaling this is a shit feature. What's the point of going to the mountains to get an ice Pokémon if everything will be lvl 50+, fully evolved and disobedient. They really fucked up with this game. Great example of super good idea that was very poorly implemented, bringing the opposite results.

Hope we are all happy and healthy in 2025-2026 to watch the uproar of this generation's fuck up destroying Gen 10.
>>
>>51155406
LOL nope. It's just new Gen season. Vp will be dead again in January and then see ya in 3 years for next Gen.
>>
>>51157392
Did you ever play any other open world game...?
>>
>>51157284
Or you could learn how to cook and become immune to those effects. You never need the equipment.
>>
>>51157276
>also you cant catch high level pokemon anymore that was already a thing in swsh.
PLA rightfully did away with this shit and it hopefully will never come back. Scaling is retarded and it prevents me, as a player, from fucking around.
>>
>>51157488
Do the other open world games advertise that they can be done in any order?

It's not the point of open world. It's that they said it's open world and you can go to wherever in no particular order. But without proper scaling it's a shity gimmick. It's like gifting you a new car with square wheels. You are kinda happy for the gift, but, fuck. What are you even supposed to do with it?
>>
>>51144799
None of those are open world, so yes he is in fact correct
>>
>>51157493
You have to get one set of armor to get around the volcano. Its literally the only thing you cant cheese around as far as ive found
>>
>>51157600
You just make an elixir retard. They even sell them right around the mountain and in the city. You can also cheese it because the springs are perfectly spaced out. The only equipment you need is the Gerudo outfit but it's not exactly stopping you from exploring areas outside the city.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.