[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1651160513307.jpg (344 KB, 2048x1535)
344 KB
344 KB JPG
What are the telltale signs of a fake leak, compared to a real leak?
>>
>>50783820
If the mon looks good it's fake but if it looks bad it's good
>>
File: Eggman_robotnik.png (101 KB, 288x344)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>50783820
If you act like you know it's fake, the person will usually ask "what gave it away"
>>
>>50783820
Fan art is not as creative or original as the actual designs. They often just exaggerate the features of Pokemon revealed.

For example, take Popplio. The fan art of Ballio just looks like a bigger Popplio with a circus theme (very predictable, uninspired). Everyone could tell the Primarina leak was real because a selkie was far more interesting in design and concept.
>>
>honchkrow if he skinny
>>
>Human historical character but as a animal

This crap could be real because they did that shit too many times already
>>
>>50783860
this, oldest trick in the book
>>
File: starters.jpg (241 KB, 1920x1080)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>50783884
Everyone could tell the primarina leak was real because Mallow was officially revealed shortly after.
People wer calling it fake as fuck when it happened because of incineroars stupid sausage fingers.
>>
>>50783820
if the design looks like it's appealing to fans, it's definitely fake.
>>
>>50783820
Amateurish concept art that obviously trying to mimic the gen 7 starter leaks.
>>
>>50783820
If you like the design, then it's not real.
>>
>>50783820
Ash not being on it
>>
File: 1625044801877.png (239 KB, 811x313)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
>>50783860
based reference. I'd like to think sonic fans are coping better than Pokemon fans right now.
>>
>>50783820
Japanese looks google translated or some kana is written using the wrong characters.
>>
File: 1655912552866.jpg (64 KB, 546x606)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
When they make the secret stamp and strategically place a Japanese product in view.
Also no one will expose the work area in view.
>>
>>50783820
Nice try, but I'm not going to tell you fags because you'll just avoid the obvious signs then.
>>
>>50783820
>telltale signs of a fake leak
It gets posted here and at least some people believe it.
>>
>>50783820
LARPing as Japanese.
Why the fuck would an illustrator have Coconut oil on their desk?

Also, designs are just materialising day 1 impressions from the overall community.
They suffer "it just gets bigger" syndrome when evolving. Pokémon has moved on from just turning a Pokémon from an animal to a bigger version of said animal as their evolution path for starters, and most other mons for a while now
>>
>>50783820
too good to be true
>>
>>50784275
this, the fact that they keep making a point to put a japanese snack in the photo just makes it seem more fake
>>
>>50783820
these are marginally better than most leaks but the tell tale sign isn't that the art is bad or the design is unbelievable or the sheet is laid out wrong it's the it tries too hard to look authentic. Notice once more like the first leak japanese drink in the corner really trying to drive home "bro this art literally came from Japan so it can't be fake"
>>
File: 1650278836882.jpg (256 KB, 850x1511)
256 KB
256 KB JPG
>>50783820
shit artwork
>>
File: smug ash.png (1.21 MB, 1086x1080)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
>>50784986
whatd you mean bro all pokemon designers have snacks on their craft mat when the draw
>>
>>50783820
They could at least pretend they're drinking their legitimate Nippon(tm) beverage for one
>>
If it's artstyle doesn't even look like it belongs with modern pokemon. Shit like Ballio always looked fake.
>>
>>50783820
quite honestly you'll just know it when you see it
>>
>>50783820
You can tell. The the one that u post is shit as hell, the artwork, the design, its so amateur.. And most of the fake leak are shit.. The only good one is that fat trans fuecoco n thank god its fake.
>>
>>50783820
there isnt a checklist for real leaks, but fake reference sheets can be easily determined by:

-poor japanese (penmanship included, its obvious when its not native)

-the artist not understanding the reason certain aspects of the design are shown in more detail. cutting things in half arbitrarily to show an already obvious shape is something a lot of them do

-copying things (specific poses etc) that have been included in previous real leaks, for no real relevance to the current leak other than "its been done in official reference art before!"

-overly detailed designs. pokemon just doesnt do this unless its a legendary. the starter evos specifically are kept relatively simple, but so many leaks traits than official legendaries

-conversely, designs that are too simple. pokemon always adds some sort of flair to objectmons to make them look like pokemon; they are never just items that could pass for a background asset in another series as-is but with eyes and a mouth drawn on

of course actual art skill level is essential too, but there isnt a specific way to describe gfs art since it isnt perfect either (and getting worse by the gen) but its become apparent to me that most non-artists cant tell when something is just plain bad
>>
>>50783820
Can you make a plush out of it that reasonably would sell? Does it appeal to japanese kids? Does it look like it'd be easy to 3d model or is the design busy because there was no QC team?

Is the mon in question based off an animal you'd find in Brazil/anon's random shithole?
>>
>>50783820
bland washed out color palette and too small eyes
>>
>>50784647
its a chocolate snack with coconut oil inside as per the bottom of the package but this mental image of just lathering up at the work station made me laugh, thanks anon

i kind of hope japanese product in photo becomes a meme now like purposely blurred leaks is
>>
>>50784419
they literally never heed though. /vp/ shrieks about all the inconsistencies of fakemon all the damn time and fakemon artists STILL churn out shit fakes. They opt for samefagging replies such as

>hm this one could be real
>>implying it looks like shit but gamefreaks designs are shit so it must be real
>''giving an impromptu detail analysis explaining what it 'probably' is and why"

they'd rather try to shout you down and sow doubt than actually improve
>>
>>50783820
For starters when the retards making them add the numbers for translations onto their concept art because they're retards who haven't seen anything outside of translated guide books
>>
>>50786660
>as per the bottom of the package
Lmao I didn't recognise the package and didn't zoom in into the photo either. Thank you, anon.

I also want to see leaks with random Japanese products on the table where they one up each other with more niche, random stuff. Snacks and drinks going into stuff like utility bills or something completely off the wall, like a FamiMa receipt for 17 Strong Zero.
>>
>>50786620
so many leaks *have more traits than official legendaries

dont know how i deleted that many extra words when replacing "design elements" with "traits"
>>
File: coconutpocky.jpg (715 KB, 1684x2048)
715 KB
715 KB JPG
>>50784647
>>50786660
It's Coconut Pocky. Pocky is like the easiest japanese snack to get your hands on anywhere. Though unless its been rereleased again, this box was last run in 2018
>>
>>50786753
ah, mystery solved. i dont eat i just read and then google to see the general idea of the words found on other packaging. only japanese import store near me closed down a year or so back, but they didnt carry the good stuff i lived off of there like milk donuts and whatever holiday promo things conbinis were having (easter custard stuff was the best). ive looked online but cant find anywhere that imports things like that... now with corona a thing ill probably never go back. probably a long shot but any site recs that carry more than just the basic stuff would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>50786838
i dont know what would be considered the basic stuff but I use Yamibuy. They have their own selection that they ship to you pretty quickly. They also host a few sellers that ship direct from japan. At a pretty high shipping price though
>>
>>50786753
Ah! Thanks.
I honestly avoid most sugar/snacks, and not all shops carry Pocky flavours aside of chocolate, strawberry, and the occasional maccha.
I actually haven't seen that one before, but I can see it being in shelves for a while on import shops outside of Japan, or if in Japan, at the local Don Quihote (they always have random food that is hard to find in other places).

Although, pocky and marching koala tend to be the snacks that I see most at office desks. The cookie prevents fingers from getting dirty from the chocolate, so I actually see them often.
Maybe dumb luck, but it makes it slightly less unlikely to be fake.
>>
>>50786859
i mean stuff that isnt popular or well known, more generic things found on shelves in japan that never got any kind of anime cameo. a lot of the yamibuy stuff seemed to be things specifically geared towards people looking for a fun foreign treat rather than typical conbini stock, but thank you for pointing me in its direction

>>50786904
if they wanted to be really extra they could just print the label of some obscure snack for the leak photo. this whole conversation has given me unrealistically high hopes for future satirical leaks following this specific formula now lmao. heres hoping weve got a funnyman or two lurking in the thread taking notes to deliver a good bit of fake leak mockery in the months to come
>>
>>50783820
They don't understand that Pokemon is nothing if not referential. It's why every "leak" that goes for IT JUST GETS BIGGER is an automatic red flag. Part of why people knew that the Alola starters were legit was because you could tell they were something an old Japanese boomer would call the coolest shit.
>>
>>50783820
Extremely garbage Japanese that's somehow worse than google translate
>>
>>50786954
>some obscure snack for the leak photo
To be fair, that was a good attempt (assuming fake)
Real talk, I hope fake leakers take note and go off the wall running with these ideas.
All I want is a fun leak season... I miss the days of Ballio
>>
>>50783820
Real people don't take pictures of their art on a messy angle with pencils and garbage in the shot. Only r*dditors do that.
>>
>>50783916
This
Even mistarr merriku called it as fake
Why do summerfags pretend they were here in 2016
>>
>>50787021
>To be fair, that was a good attempt
No. GF is a small fucking studio, no one would be dumb enough to sneak a phone past security and ruin a job that people dream of getting especially when they could easily figure out who did so.
>>
File: 250px-850Sizzlipede.png (23 KB, 250x250)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>50786620
>overly detailed designs
>conversely, designs that are too simple
Massive retard alert
>>
>>50786954
>a lot of the yamibuy stuff seemed to be things specifically geared towards people looking for a fun foreign treat rather than typical conbini stock

oooh, yeah good luck with that one. I used to just go to Famima years ago before they closed them all down. Then Marukai mart before I moved too far away.
>>
Poorly drawn is a big one that somehow people don't pick up on
>>
>>50787050
>GF is a small fucking studio, no one would be dumb enough to sneak a phone

>Tokyo getting fully getting out State of Emergency literally 1 month ago
>Most companies encouraging/allowing working from home
>Implying artists don't take work home
>Why would GF give their artists a fucking tin can to hold their art tools

This dude ass thinking he proved every single leak fake with a blanket statement, even though real lakes have been historically filtered.

Also, I was specifically talking about the snack they chose to LARP
>>
>>50783820
>No. 2 pencil
The Japanese have more taste than that when it comes to drafting tools.
>>
File: 6be.png (1.14 MB, 800x3844)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
its a tentaquil, https://youtu.be/6pnOwaTUhQA
>>
>>50787065
pic attached is a base stage bug, no one here is fake leaking the purposefully simple mons via ref sheets (which i said i was describing in my checklist) they only go for cool/edgy ones but do a failure of a job at it. love it when the people saying retard actually turn out to be the retard themselves

>>50787034
when these first got leaked here, i posted them to my twitter and everyone said theyd been confirmed fake, but i kept insisting they were too professional and believed them to be real. it was such a good feeling when that turned out to be true, but i have not felt that "spark" of instantly knowing something is genuine since. i was also around for hawlucha and denialfags not understanding how perspective worked when "debunking" the "inconsistent" amount of wing feathers viewed from different angles which was fun. hawlucaust btfo comp image continues to be one of my favorite memories from here
>>
File: smleak retarded.png (172 KB, 761x520)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
>>50787416
This is one of my favorites.
>>
File: SM meme magic.png (222 KB, 777x1034)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
>>50787416
>>50787651
but this is the best
>>
>>50783820
There's quite a few, but the easiest is whether the Pokémon could be believable living in the Pokémon world or not. For all of Game Freak's faults, they usually do a good job with that.

For example, look at this design. What part of its body actually makes sense for a fantasy animal to have for survival? What advantages do its hats or plumage truly give it? Why are its legs so plain? There's no nuance to this design, which is why it's real hard to believe.

>>50783916
Compare it to the Gen VII starters for example. All three have a lot of little details that flesh out their designs rather than just having an empty concept. Decidueye has feathers it can fashion into arrows and a hood that can conceal its face. Primarina has a fancy appearance to fit its role as a natural performer and can use its voice in combination with its water element to fight. Incineroar grows a body fit for wrestling and learns to use several dirty methods befitting its type.

>>50787065
Even something that was clearly derived from another design for sake of evolution has some nuance. Its flame mandibles can likely be used to cook food it eats, while its segments cna heat up for protection from predators. Sizzlipede also has clear motifs that mark a clear transition into Centiskorch. Its little mandibles that expand and double, it increases its number of segments, and its chests mark expand into hot eyes upon evolving. Gigantamax Centiskorch further expands every single one of these elements.
>>
>>50787416
Massive retard alert indeed
>>
>>50787034
I was here for the entirely of speculation in 2016, and I immediately had a good feeling about the starter leak. It still could have been fake, but the professional quality and unique quirkiness blew out other fakes coming out at the time.
>>
>>50787833
Sure
>>
>>50787034
Joe called the Unovan starters real when everyone was denying them, I know newfags seethe at the mention of his name because they want to fit in though.
>>
>>50787931
Who cares? That has nothing at all to do with Alola.
>>
>>50787795
It's why I didn't care for astrobunny's design as a STARTER.

It might work as a Legendary or Mythical, but as a Starter evolution? Hard sell on that.
>>
>>50783916
Do you remember all the people saying she was just a “generic Hawaiian girl” and doubling down on them being fake? God those salty tears were amazing
>>
>>50786566
Trans fuecoco is real. The OP pic is attempting to copy it.
>>
>>50788281
Khu said it was fake
>>
>>50783820
>telltale signs of a fake leak
Copying previous generations leaks is the first red flag. If the last generations leaks were [confidential] reference sheets its safe to assume anything with that stamp is complete shit.
Copying popular leaks. Like the one in Op's image. He put some chink snacks in the picture because the fairy fuecoco one had it.
Inconsistent art style. When you see something that looks off, it's probably fake.
3d Recordings of a blurry screen. Bonus points if it's got random cuts into it. I know the reason you record a screen is to avoid the code put in some screenshots. (Dont know what the fuck it is but apparently it's a thing they can do.) But you can hold a fucking camera still. Everyone knows how to use a camera.

And the most obvious one. It looks good.
It's a bit of a joke now but pokemon intentionally gives them stupid details or features because they think it helps them sell more. So if it's going to have any validity, it can't be cool it needs to have something stupid about it.

>real leak?
Impossible to say without them dropping gameplay. The only thing you can really go off of is previous leaks, it's why people give khu so much credit. He's an autistic manchild but his leaks seem to be legit.
>>
>>50787795
on your first point, i want to agree but lately it feels more like gf has been making pokemon for the purpose of appealing to fans in a funny way, rather than putting realistic creature properties first like it used to be. i know its obvious why they do this, but i think thats why a lot of more recent pokemon fall flat with me personally due to not feeling like animals that could exist naturally, but memes given justifiable animal properties. its hard to explain without coming across as contradicting myself or leaving several points open for attack, which is why im not saying youre wrong that they *should* be doing that, i guess i just wanted to know if anyone else felt the same way about mons feeling more like they were designed specifically in hopes of becoming an internet sensation rather than fitting in completely in the wild, even if they were given the necessary features to do so in some way.
>>
>>50783820
As someone who actually worked on game studios, to me, it's the misunderstanding of what a reference sheet is for, what information it should convey and to who. Nothing screams "turbo faggot" more to me than an artist who draws """references""" that are absolutely meaningless in a game-development context.
>>
>>50789650
this is what i addressed in my first post too. there arent many official game reference sheets online for pre xy mons, but those did not require as much detail due to the games previously working with sprites. the current standard calls for the design to be clear to modelers on what part should be what shape, how it should look in 3d, etc but almost every fake leak i see just seems to want to show off the fakemon for its personality/behavior, and then feels obligated to have at least 1 thing sliced down the middle when that thing is usually already clear from other drawings on the sheet, while neglecting other aspects for which 3d explanation detail would be necessary instead. dashed lines are generally used to express the existence of an element that has been hidden to show underneath it for modeling purposes, not as a "cut here" (???) marking that fakers seem to believe indicates the shape of the appendage somehow...

expressions also are usually only included if there is some unusual/nonstandard movement required of the face or eyes/pupils other than what would be assumed from the design, for example incineroars eyebrow going up on one side and down on the other might not be something a rigger would know to do when animating it. it is not just put there to show that the pokemon can experience emotion lol
>>
>>50789650
Well Pokémon reference sheets usually convey how it acts or how its moves work as far as starters are concerned and/or describing what and how elements of its body work.

Drawing a bird and showing its back and hat aren't it.
>>
>>50783820
Wish fulfillment and patternfagging. In this case, the artist mimicked the fuecoco "leak" in too many ways, down to having food in the top corner of the picture.
>>
>>50787795
>For all of Game Freak's faults, they usually do a good job with that.
Unless the pokemon is a legendary/mythic/pseudo.
>>
>>50783916
No it was because autistic ameriburgers got triggered over it not being an emo troon panther for them to shlick themselves at, and instead a funny wrestler monster dudebro (thankfully)
Their denial was no difference than them denying fairy day, greninja leak, mewtwo y, smash 4 roster leak etc, they always sperg out just like that
The only one were the sperging was FOR the leak was the grinch leak, ninty wise, and that one was garbage to bait autists
>>50788139
the best one was still fairy day though, just cause they had collages to prove how a new type was impossible to program
>>50787034
he didnt knew but changed mind the second mallow was confirmed, like everyone else, nobody was triggered due designs except the turbo autists that back in smash 4 were saying duck hunt was a pluto pic and shulk was lil mac
>>
>>50783820
>Seagull pokemon
About time we have a seagull
>>
>>50792665
>ESL has retarded opinions
>>
>>50793045
Wingull crying in the corner
>>
>>50783851
If good it looks the fake it's mon but if looks good it's bad
>>
>>50783860
>how did you know that leak was fake?
>YOU JUST TOLD ME FOX BOY
>>
>>50783820
Real leaks usually don't pop up barely a week after the game has been announced.
>>
>>50790071
P. good observation.
>>
File: 1651935094967.png (778 KB, 888x999)
778 KB
778 KB PNG
>>50783916
apologize
>>
File: file.png (221 KB, 360x471)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>50785989
what do you mean, this totally looks real and not like edgy fanart
>>
>>50799621
He isn't real but I wish he was
>>
>>50789585
Stop posting like this and say what you want to say clearly. Stop being afraid of arguments it's the internet stop taking it seriously.
>>
>>50786753
What’s the hardest Japanese snacks to get hands on that is sweet flavored?
>>
>>50783820
see the trick is everyone except me is gay anon. If I like it and post it thats REAL shit. Someone who is not me? Aww hell nah nigga that is fake and gay shit like what you just posted.
>>
>>50801695
i dunno. Something I wouldnt know about. Probably something that would expire before it got to you from overseas. The only thing stopping you from getting anything from japan is how much you're willing to spend on it and how much you're willing to pay for the fastest shipping option
>>
>>50799667
He is real in our hearts.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.