[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I used to watch the anime as a kid but never played the games since that was around the time I grew out of Pokémon. I’ve seen a lot of it recently and wanted to get back into the series by trying the games. Is it recommended to play all the games or are the certain ones that should be played? Also open to any tips/recommendations for any of the games or just the series in general
>>
>>48202795
Play
>FR or LG
>Emerald
>Platinum
>HG or SS
>B or W
>B2 or WE
>X or Y
And you can definitively say you experienced all there is to offer. If you're craving Hoenn you can try ORAS. LGPE is an interesting an more open take on the original games.
SM, USUM, and SWSH are only good in theory. If you really become an addict you can try them but the key gameplay is too different and too stagnant to really be worth your while if you've played anything before Gen 7 at that point.
If you don't care that much, maybe try BDSP and Legends. BDSP looks to be a return to form from the SM/SWSH formula and Legends is more in line with what LGPE did as a drastically different take on existing principles.
General tip for the series is to ignore headcanons you see online. Just play the game and come up with your own opinion. Most Pokemon "influencers" don't actually play or care.
>>
>>48202795
Most people on this board will say this>>48202829 is the way to go, or some similar variation. There's gonna be lot's of shit flinging here pretty soon but just go with this and ignore anything else, it covers everything the series has to offer.
>>
>>48202829
Make sure you also get the romhacks that let you evolve without trading.
>>
>>48202829
>>48202877
Thanks anons. I’m going to play FR later tonight then. Is there any reason to choose one game over the other besides the Pokémon on the box?
>>48202907
My siblings have stayed consistent and have all the games so I can just ask one of them to trade me a Pokémon to evolve.
>>
>>48202795
If you are not a zoomer, avoid gen 6+
>>
>>48202829
>Just play the game and come up with your own opinion.
Is that why you are parroting the /vp/ hivemind opinion instead of thinking for yourself?
>>
>>48202981
Version exclusives exist for every pair, check serebii or bulbapedia for more info, but basically pick the game that has the pokemon you think you'll like the most.
>>
>>48203002
Not that anon but it's the most common opinion for a reason, most genuinely agree that those are the games to play
>>
>>48202981
>Is there any reason to choose one game over the other besides the Pokémon on the box?
Not really. There's a small different between pokemon and maybe small aesthetic changes, but nothing to justify playing both games
>>
>>48203003
>>48203015
Will do. For the games that had DS wifi in the past, is it still possible to trade them to future games? Eventually I want to keep them all in one place. I think it’s called Pokémon Bank
>>
>>48202829
>SM too different to be good
>but XY are fine
Your opinion is terrible.
>>
File: 1122087 (2).jpg (35 KB, 322x450)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>48202981
For FireRed and LeafGreen no. For HeartGold and SoulSilver people say HeartGold because the "story" makes more sense with the legendary but it really doesn't matter. The same arguement could be said with Y over X but again it doesn't matter so just look and see which version exclusives you like more. Black and White do actually have some slightly more significant differences, one of the cities is futuristic in Black but more traditional in White and the Gym Leader is different, there's also an exclusive postgame area for each. Sun and Moon are alsosignificant, Sun uses the normal clock, however Moon is 12 hours ahead (e.g. if you play at 10AM, thr game is nightime because it thinks it's 10PM etc.) so if you like the sound of that go for Moon.
>>
>>48203005
>Not that anon but it's the most common opinion for a reason,
Because /vp/ grew up playing them and most people fail to have free thoughts.
>>
File: 1630249609789.jpg (35 KB, 640x480)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>48203106
>Guy asks for advice
>Anon gives him advice
>NOOOOOO YOU CAN'T DO THAT, HIVEMIND, SHEEPLE!
What would you suggest he plays?
>>
>>48202829
>>48202981
This plus play the following spinoffs if you get the chance:

>Stadiums 1 and 2 but only if you have RBY and GSC carts will they be worth your while
>The Orre duology, that being Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. Will definitely be good to link up any GBA games you play.
>Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red or Blue rescue teams. Red for the GBA and Blue for the DS, play depending on whichever you prefer, it's the same either way
>Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of the Sky
>Super Mystery Dungeon
>Pokemon Ranger
>Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia

All I can think of atm
>>
>>48202795
You shouldn't rely too much on the opinions of the people here, they are really biased towards some games being bad and you will most certainly miss some good content if you listen. I suggest getting an emulator and playing some parts of the games to have a general idea to decide which ones to play. I was told sun and moon were bad games to play and I skipped them but then I found out they were much better than the other main series games people tend to praise out of nostalgia. So don't rely on the opinions here too much.
>>
>>48203161
>Guy ask for advice
>Give him normie sheeple advice
>"N-No! Let him become a sheep as well!!"
1.FRLG
2.Emerald
3.BW
4.B2W2
5.PMD1 or PMD2
6.SS
7.Colloseum
8.Platinum
9.HGSS
10.GO
11.SM or USUM
Skip the rest or play them. It doesn't matter after this point.
>>
>>48203037
Pokemon bank is still up and yes it's currently possible to trade forward all pokemon in any game gen 3+, tho it's a hassle in some ways, you need an OG DS or DS lite to trade from gen 3 to 4, and at least 2 systems that can play a DS game to trade from 4 to 5. 5 to 6 uses poketransporter and 6 to 7 just use pokebank
>>
>>48203281
>I don't like it so it's normie sheeple opinion
>Here's my, correct take
Can't stand you retards sometimes
>>
>>48203297
It doesn't have to do with me liking it. You just have textbook sheeple beliefs. Cope if you want.
>>
>>48202795
personally? none of the official games are REALLY good. they all fall short somewhere, and for the me the real pokemon experience is inter-trainer battles.

that being said, the main campaign can still be fun. if you're dead set on playing a pure mainline game i would say to start FRLG, Emerald or BW/BW2.

>>48202981
since you've gone with FRLG (good choice anon), if i were you I would hack and jam in the physical special split. it's technically not the 'real' game but I don't care, its a pretty big mechanic change that defines pokemon after gen 3
>>
>>48202829
You know this opinion is based because it's making the discordfaggots seethe
>>
>>48203381
Sorry that most people prefer genuine content instead of cutscenes and fluff
>>
>>48203752
Even if your definition of content is Sheeple-tier. Lol do you have a single original thought in your head when it comes to pokemon?
>>
>>48203770
>heh you are sheeple
>Suggests GO at all unironically
You got some replies with your bait
>>
>>48203500
>recommending a hack to a series noob
You nerds have zero self awareness. OP should just go ham on Fire Red. These games are great for an entry level RPG. If you have no clue what's going on, half the fun is figuring out what works. Don't shit on a new player's fun by getting rid of an aspect of a game that was designed specifically for THAT game.
>>
>>48202981
Version exclusives. If you feel like ever completing the pokedex then Leafgreen is the way to go since Firered has its exclusives in other gen 3 games while LG is the only way to get slowpoke in that gen.
>>
>>48203802
>W-What about you!
Normies left Go. You need to work on your deflections, sheepie.
>>
>>48203834
trying too hard there, little bitch.
>>
>>48203841
You are automated.
>>
>>48203860
>please make my existence meaningful by feeding me replies
have a pity one then I am gone
>>
>>48202795
Play Emerald, skip Ruby/Sapphire. Likewise for Platinum and Diamond/Pearl.

HGSS is a polished gen 4 game, but honestly, if you've played Platinum, you'll get the gist of gen 4 and can safely skip to BW/BW2 if you want to.

Gen 6+ is cutscene heavy. XY is faster to play through than Gen 7. It's short and sweet. USUM is more challenging as far as pokemon games go. Don't bother with SM. the story differs a bit but USUM has many more pokemon to use.

Don't force yourself to do the postgame stuff if you don't want to. Battle facilities are grindy and emphasis mechanics like IVs, EVs and natures. If you just want to have some fun and experience the region, the campaign is enough. Try these things out afterwards if you want to dive deeper into the mechanics.
>>
>>48202795
Welcome. I got back into the mons 5ish years ago and havent looked back. Way better than heroin
>>
>>48202795
Incredible how people put LG/FR and Emerald so high up. Don't worry, nostalgia is normal in here. In reality they can be really slow for a person that hasn't been into the mechanics too much.
Listen friend, this is the correct way to play it from the best to the most boring/slower.
>Yellow
>Crystal
>BW & BW 2
>ORAS
>Platinum
>Sun/moon
>USUM
>Shield or Sword for the lulz
Then you can play the rest if you're interested, you're basically over at this point. Points for Stadium 1 and 2 for the high quantities of soul included in them.
>>
>>48202795
Start with red/blue then play gold/silver
>>
>>48204245
Emerald is a good game and there's no reason not to play it. It's representative of GBA era pokemon. It's good to experience the series at least once on all the platforms it was developed for.
>>
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I got to the first gym yesterday. Really enjoying the game so far.
>>
>>48206493
what game are you playing? its kinda better to start with the latelest one
>>
>>48202829
FR/LG, Emerald, Platinum and HG/SS are enough. Don't waste your time with B/W or even worse, X/Y.
>>
>>48206892
FireRed
>>
>48203890
Thanks for conceding
>>
>>48202829
Good post, I would still recommend Alola games and SWSH, because to appreciate the good, you need to understand the bad
>>
>>48203037
If you have a 3DS, install homebrew following this
https://3ds.hacks.guide/

and then backup your teams with PKHex (it's like Bank, but fanmade and much better)
https://projectpokemon.org/home/files/file/1-pkhex/

For online play, Switch and 3DS still work, connect to the fan network here for older titles
https://pkmnclassic.net/gts/
>>
>>48202829
BW and XY are bottom of the barrel garbage don't listen to this fucking sheep.
Play SM for the story, USUM for the difficulty, and SWSH for the exploration and QOL.
They're all miles better than anything from Unova. This anon is just upset he didn't get the dex entry for stantler for the 26th time in Gen 7.
>>
>>48202795
Fuck off.
No really.
Fuck off.
You never gave a shit.
You only care about it specifically because it's popular. Once the gen 3-4 dark ages began, you noped the fuck out and only returned now that you know it's ok to like it.

These kind of fans becoming the majority is exactly why the quality of these games have drastically reduced. Gamefreak knows they don't even have to try as long as assholes like you simply buy it because of the name of the brand on the box.

Fuck you you bandwagoning drone.
>>
>>48202795
>I used to watch the anime as a kid but never played the games since that was around the time I grew out of Pokémon.
the games came before the anime larper
>>
>>48207973
>>48208008
Ignore these angry man children, OP
>>
>>48208046
I'm calling him out on his bullshit claims
>>
>>48208285
No one cares retard go be upset somewhere else
>>
>>48208302
you cared enough to seethe about it
>>
>>48208323
No one cares.
>>
>>48208337
>>48208323
>>
>>48203281
>gen 5 before gen 4
>sword/shield before gen 4
>gen 7 last
>>48204245
>gen 5 and oras before platinum
What's wrong with you guys?
>>
>>48208358
>>48208337
>>48208302
>>
>>48203824
i don't care, hyper beam shouldn't be a physical attack and vine whip shouldn't be special
>>
>>48202795
oldfag here literally just play them chronologically. I strongly advise to start with r/b/y or at least with g/s/c since playing the newer ones first might ruin the experience for you. if you watched the old anime I suspect you are somewhere close to my generation 1993 that experienced pokemania at it's peak. people will tell you to start with the remakes but you shouldn't since they won't convey the same nostalgia for that time. the gen1 games are the essence and the soul of the franchise and they should be your first experience if you really never played a pokemon game before. oh obviously you only have to play one game from every generation before you move on to another. trust me on this I've lived that shit
>>
>>48208366
Sinnoh is garbo. Sorry to hurt your feelings bugman.
>>
>>48208494
That doesn't mean you should play the series out of order you hyper autist.
>>
>>48208500
Ordertrannies are the worse. I dab on them all the time.
>Watched Starwars in descending order
>Watched Harry Potter in Star Wars order (Fourth movie first, Third movie last)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.