[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: squirtle_event.png (13 KB, 314x329)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
Hello /vp/. I am a longtime Pokemon fan--at least I was until SwSh--and I was not a fan of Generation 2. The pacing feels terrible, the game is easier than almost any other, it's too difficult to catch many of the Pokemon native to the generation, and it suffers from many of the same failings that all the early generation games do.

I tried looking at improvement romhacks that addressed the problems with the games, but they always either went too far, obliterating existing Pokemon and miring the game in unwanted NPCs that take up prominence in the game, like Polished Crystal, or Crystal Clear.

So I decided to throw my hat in the ring and make my own. I hope you will try my first build of this improvement hack, the Crystal Rebalance Project, which improves upon the base game in a number of ways.

Currently:
-Over 20 new moves from later generations, most with all new animations.
-17 new TMs
-Existing moves rebalanced--for example, the previously useless Slam is now a normal type version of Dragon Tail, and the trapping moves like Wrap and Bind have had their powers increased as to be worth using.
-Stat balancing. Pokemon with BST's far too low to be usable, even ingame, have been improved to reasonable standards.
-movepool overhaul modeled off a mixture of the HGSS movepools and onward.
-rebalanced level curve and boss characters that are no longer complete pushovers. The final Rocket Executive (or Archer, if you prefer) is no longer a toothless wimp!
-the Dark type is physical, and Ghost, special
-Trademons can evolve by level, or by using the hold item they require like an evolution stone
>>
File: cbjpromo.png (15 KB, 312x277)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
Future builds:
-Organic new areas that reward your exploration as the originals did
-rematches for every major npc
-revamped Kanto with a proper postgame to complete, including an extended Team Rocket storyline

I'm asking you to please try this build, which is tooled for completion to the Elite Four, so I can get feedback about balance issues to properly plan the rest of the game. I will be posting a patch link shortly--please ask me any questions you like about buffed Pokemon or moves added.

Picture from the OP is a snapshot of the Squirtle acquisition event and the Officer Female returning from Yellow version.

This is a ranger from the National Park extension, National Grove.
>>
>>45908193
I feel like advertising your hack by shitting on the game its based on (and conveniently not bringing up its positives, as most anti-gen 2 people do) will draw in many people. Especially when they can just go download Sour Crystal, which does most of this and more, instead.
Just some advice.
>>
>>45908218
Also, a link would be nice.
>>
File: igglybuff-gen2.jpg (17 KB, 222x286)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>45908218
Let me be clear. There are many things I have grown to love about Pokemon Crystal. The aesthetic, the exploration areas, the way the characters are set up. But it has many gameplay failings, and if that weren't true, I wouldn't even be making the hack.

I want you to be able to use all your favorite Pokemon and not be cornered by things like no real bug moves existing.

>>45908227
I keep getting spam filtered trying to post a link. Know any good upload sites that aren't getting filtered?
>>
File: 2020-12-20 20-43-07.webm (279 KB, 312x276)
279 KB
279 KB WEBM
>https://www.mediafire.com/file/33k80lmp5o6iflb/Pokemon_Crystal_Rebalanced.ips/file

OK this one should work. I'm looking for feeback on the balance of the game, so please let me know via this thread or add my discord

Prism#8688

And let me know how you feel about it.

This game has NO:
OC donut steel
EVs or IVs
physical/special split
natures or abilities

This is all second generation
>>
File: 2020-12-20 08-29-00.webm (1.31 MB, 312x276)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB WEBM
Just patch a clean 1.1 rom of Crystal with the IPS patch provided above, should work just fine.

The only 'major' game change I would describe I have done is to change how much a heightened critical hit ratio affects your crit chances. (At +4 crit chance, which is the result of using Focus Energy with high crit moves like Slash, the move will always crit.) The base critical rate, however, remains exactly the same. This is just a tool to make a new class of setup sweepers. Try using Focus Energy on Primeape with Cross Chop and Stone Edge!
>>
File: bgb00002.png (3 KB, 160x144)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
Another big plus is that many Pokemon which were relegated to be in Kanto only, such as Slugma and Houndour, now have nests in the Johto region as well. Slugma can be found in Mt. Mortar!
>>
>>45908193
>dark type is physical, ghost type is special
Say no more man, you’ve won me over
>>
This is cool, OP. I’ve been replaying HGSS and while it does have the soul I remember, it’s plagued by Johto’s awful options in terms of Pokémon availability. /vp/ refers to Johto as “west kanto” and they have a point. If it were me remaking the game, I would remove all Kanto Pokémon from Johto routes other than those from families with a Johto evolution.
>>
File: officerf.png (1 KB, 56x56)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
>>45908462
It would leave you with a pretty dry pokedex though. My policy has been to just make sure it's all there in Johto still.
>>
>>45908468
Well, have you considered adding in some of the GS space world demo beta Pokémon to fill out some of the Dex in place of Kantooooooo?
>>
File: slowpokeclub.gif (21 KB, 312x277)
21 KB
21 KB GIF
>>45908489
That's beyond the scope of my hack. My goal is to give you an experience that resembles the original, but fix the balance issues. There are some new things, like extensions of areas already in the game, but I don't want anything that feels out of place for the original's tone and aesthetic.

There are already other hacks pulling from the beta, anyway.
>>
>>45908193
>>45908249
>likes the aesthetic of gen 2
>hates the gameplay loop
i will now play your game, thanks for clearing that up
>>
>>45908509
Yeah that makes sense, I get what you’re saying. Sounds like you’ve got a good foundation for the hack.
>>
>>45908553
I'm testing this myself right now and discovered a bug with using Berry from the bag--just fixed it, the current link should have the new fix already.
>>
>>45908193
Interesting project, where is going to be hosted? Are you on any romhack forums?
>>
>>45908680
I am very new to the romhack scene, and I also dont want to be too loud and point to my name with big flashing lights

But I'll make a dummy account and post a build on pokecommunity or something soon

This current build is a balance test more than anything. I want to know how the current level curve and difficulty is so I can refine it and incorporate the new areas well.
>>
>>45908193
I wish you luck
>>
>>45908295
I hope everything goes well anon.
>>
>another generic improvement Crystal hack
Also there's a general for this, actually 3 generals now.
>>
>>45908249
Gitlab
>>
gentle bump in the interest of seeing any progress
>>
>>45908193
>>45908208
I absolutely loved Gen 2. My favorite by far. Still, your project seems fun.
>>
So you want to make HGSS but with Crystal's engine and assets? Like people have already said, there are a few Crystal QoL hacks already. Your project might be too similar, so it wouldn't gain notoriety and you might lose motivation. Are you sure you want to do this?
>>
>>45911467
based ROMhack dev making the early game even harder for Chikorita fags
>>
>>45911570
No--HGSS fixes very few of the game's problems. Very, very few. It's mostly just a very pretty game. In fact, I'd say it's inferior to Crystal in a few ways.
>>
>>45908193
is dark pulse in? wouldn't it be weird with it being physical? houndoom is at a slight disadvantage with dark being physical. it still has usable physical attack (90) at least.
>>
>>45911532
My biggets problem with gen 2 is how badly balanced the Pokemon are--why does Delibird have to be such a shitter? I understand there's a joke being played here, but it's not funny enough to make up for inserting a gameplay piece so utterly useless. I made Delibird usable without wanting to tear your hair out, but without changing its core identity or overcompensating and trying to make it an OU beast just because I like the thing.
>>
>>45912645
It's not. But Houndoom is still a beast even with the change. It makes him a great mixed attacker, with nasty plot to attempt sweeps.
>>
>>45912645
>>45912661
also you have to remember most things weak to dark are weaker to physical moves than special ones

if anything, I may have inadvertently nerfed psychic types
>>
>>45911875
That was just to show off the Growth change. Chikorita actually doesnt even learn Growth.
>>
Did you give Crunch to everything that previously relied on Shadow Ball?
>>
>>45913329
Only Crunch to things that made sense to have Crunch. But every Pokemon's movepool is so expanded that dont often need that one move.

Also, I added Night Slash.
>>
>>45913483
Pretty much everything that got Shadow Ball had a mouth and could realistically use Crunch as well.
>>
File: based.png (10 KB, 480x432)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
Early Marill is pretty cool
>>
>>45908193
>>45908208
Looks decent, I'll give it a try
>>
>larvitar in the second route

don't like that one bit. pseudos should ver very hidden
>>
it would be good to see a list of stats changes
>>
>>45913885
he should be, like, a 1% in the dark-ass cave if he's available in the early game at all
>>
>>45908193
this sounds cool. Have a bump, OP
>>
File: rmt.png (9 KB, 160x433)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
RMT, duders
>>
>>45914782
>bug/poison type with <50th percentile Attack
I mean, you're probably not going to be running her for the whole game but you're still handicapping yourself here.
>>
>>45908193
"I didn't get the 2nd game, but play my version of the 2nd gen." Hard pass.
>>
>>45915253
weak bait
>>
>>45914982
Ariados got some decent buffs. Feel free to chase your spider dreams.
>>
How is everyone dealing with Falkner?
>>
never played a hack before.what kind of emulator should i get?
>>
>>45916052
bgb
>>
>>45916052
youll also need lunar ips to apply the patch
>>
One more bump before I head for bed.

Tomorrow I'll let this thread die. If youre playing please let me know for feedback.
>>
>>45908193
I hate old gens but romhacks are always great. Good luck with this anon
>>
Crystal is a long game you might wanna give people some time to play all and review
>>
>>45908193
Bump for op
>>
Be very careful of rebalancing hacks. Sometimes hackers with 0 experience in game design think they know better than Gamefreak, and so change moves and abilities which is very tedious when it is a fangame that changes fundamentals about the game its based on.
Some pokemon are meant to be bad like tyrogue and caterpie who have bad movepools.
What seperates this from perfect crystal?
>>
>>45908193
>>45908208
cool stuff, i'll definitly try it later
>>
>>45917850
>perfect crystal
Looking at a feature list for that hack, I'd say it's the new moves, rebalanced Pokemon stats and rebalanced learnsets on top of me not just raising the level curve, but rebalancing boss fights in more meaningful ways. Additionally, the extra TMs and new areas to explore that will be added with each update.

And no, I don't think it's likely I broke the game by giving Delibird 430 BST. I just upgraded him from 'literal gimmick joke Pokemon' to 'something you could use if you really want to'.

And if I DID break something--that's the point of asking people to try it out. I want to hear about anything unbalanced I might have inadvertently done so I can correct it.
>>
5/10 made me reply.
>>
Just uploaded a new build to the link--fixes a few minor bugs and fixes an oversight that made it impossible for Jynx to learn Lovely Kiss. Before upgrading to this patch, if you're currently playing a run, make sure it doesn't break your save. (check your pokegear map, try to go through doors and stuff).
>>
Bump. How's everyone doing?
>>
>>45919460
silence boomer
>>
>>45919460
>get to the end of cave system
>offered a new pokemon
>your party is full
>forced to backtrack all the way back to fucking olivine or wherever
>trudge through cave system you've already been through a second time with 5 pokemon
>get tyrogue
>it's level 10 despite the fact that you're halfway through johto
>start grinding it up just to see if it becomes worthwhile
>evolves into fucking hitmonchan
who's consooming here?
>>
>>45919460
Silence, coomer
>>
>>45908208
>Squirtle acquisition event
does your game have stupid cringe bullshit where you get all of the starter pokemon? I'm not 10 op I don't give a shit about starter pokemon
>>
>>45908218
Yeah, this, kind of a shitty vibe to start your pitch with
>>
>>45908193
Good job, but I feel like certain irony might be lost on you, adding in new areas and such. Though I do agree OCs are cringe.
>>
What we need is a program that lets people casually edit the game, like romhacking-lite. So anyone can make their own QoL adjustments to the base game.
>>
>>45921080
There are plenty of those.
>>
>>45920727
The goal is to let you use any Pokémon so y e s. If you don’t want the starter just ignore the NPC
>>45921055
They’re simply optional side areas. You can explore them if you want to, and ignore them if you don’t. They only use generic NPCs and aren’t relevant to the story path. No forcefeeding.
>>
Sour crystal literally already does all of this
>>
File: 132276544446.png (294 KB, 586x520)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
>>45908193
>the previously useless Slam
Just from reading this statement I get the feeling you don't actually know what you're doing when it comes to 'balancing' the game
Back in gen 2, a lot of Pokemon learned these kinds of generic Normal type attacks to complement whatever was their type's and species' 'specialty'. Most of said Pokemon can learn better alternatives via TM or HM, but you may not always want to spend said resource on them. A large amount of existing moves are 'inferior' versions of other moves, but that's okay because every Pokemon can't learn everything, and the stronger moves are often learned in progression as a Pokemon levels up and the game progresses.
That's not to say there isn't opportunity to balance things out better; there's quite a few monsters that feel like complete shit to use within the confines of gen 2 (or even in later gens). But please try to think about these things from the perspective of a game designer and not just a disgrunted fan.
>>
>early game pseudos
Based. Pseudo legendaries should grow with you to become monsters, not appear in the late game as their first / second form (which you'll never use) so you can grind them up
>>
>>45922852
This. Not to mention that most of them suffer hard from the Magikarp effect, much more so than Magikarp himself. You should be rewarded for taking the time to actually raise one instead of grinding out one in the late game.
>>
>>45922840
Slam is just not a very good move, and by the time any Pokemon learns it you have access to Headbutt as a renewable TM.
>>
>>45922840
Except in the case of Slam the better alternative that can be taught by TM is Headbutt, and damn near everything in the game can learn Headbutt and there's no reason not to teach it to everything since you can buy as many copies of TM02 as you want; except for like five mons that learn Slam but not Headbutt, there's no reason to ever use the former because it's only slightly stronger and has ~0% accuracy and no secondary effect.
>>
>>45908323
How do I patch it? Do I need to open something in the emulator to apply the patch, or do I just throw it somewhere in the files for the game?
>>
>>45923019
The few Pokemon that get Slam but not Headbutt also get the move so late that you have access to better moves.
>>
>>45923022
You just open LIPS, select the patch, select the ROM you want to patch, and push the 'do it' button. It's very self-explanatory.
>>
>>45923007
>>45923019
Then how about making mons learn Slam earlier, huh
>>
>>45908193
>Gen 2 sucks, try my version instead
wow, sign me up, bro
>>
>>45923052
You already get Headbutt not long after the second gym. You don't really need an 80BP move before then.
Gen 2 also has a strict limit on the amount of moves, so if OP wanted to add more stuff he had to take from somewhere else. Slam is just one of those moves nobody would ever miss. Except you, of course.
>>
>>45923064
If there's a move in existence nobody would miss, I'd nominate Constrict. I still stand by my argument that moves such as Slam have a place in the move economy. Money can be tight in the gen 2 earlygame so blowing it on Headbutt TMs can be a tough choice. And if it's cheap enough to outfit everyone with, I'd personally raise the price and conversely raise the amount of money gained later in the game by a bit.
>>
>>45923092
or just get rid of slam lol
OP claims to have added 20 moves, so 3-4 of the vanilla moves needed to go away.
>>
>>45923092
Rather, 16-17 moves had to go away. There's 3 free slots in the vanilla game and Struggle can be placed elsewhere.
>>
>>45923092
Waterfall was just worse Surf until they made it an HM. Utterly pointless move.

>>45923121
Just replace Slam with Body Slam across the board.
>>
>>45923156
Waterfall was still a worse Surf when it got its HM status. It wasn't even until gen 4 that it got its flinch chance.
>>
>>45922840
I am thinking about this as a game designer

There is no reason for generic moves completely inferior to other moves obtainable at the same time to exist. Now the Pokemon that learn Slam have something worth talking about. It's not broken when you get it, it's just another tool for the player to use rather than a purposeless middleground that is redundant as soon as it is obtained.
>>
>>45923212
It's even inferior to Mega Punch.
>>
>>45923221
I already got rid of mega punch. Hardly anything can even learn it in gen 2.
>>45923092
Constrict as well
>>
Did anyone pick Totodile?
>>
>>45923952
I did. about to fight faulkner
>>
There’s a bug with the cut tree in the new area, so unfortunately the Venoshock TM is unobtainable in this build. I’ll fix it in the next version
>>
>>45923212
>Now the Pokemon that learn Slam have something worth talking about
Do they need it?
>>
File: rocko.png (20 KB, 480x432)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
look what I found in a breakable rock
>>
Let us know when that pokecommunity post goes up before the thread dies; I wanna be able to follow this through something more permanent than vp threads
>>45924248
only here will you find people bitching about QoL improvements. If you were to ask a service industry worker whether they 'need' a tip, the answer's going to be no, but it's a fucking tip. There's no reason not to take it.
>>
>>45908193
>-Over 20 new moves from later generations, most with all new animations.
shit. the games movepool wasnt the problem
>17 new TMs
see above
>Existing moves rebalanced-
dog shit. dont need to go further
>-Stat balancing.
why? Theres not really any pokemon that are outright unusable. The only one I can honestly think of off the top of my head in gen2 is ledyba/ledian and tha'ts not really even a great reason to mod the stats
>movepool overhaul
This one is alright. I prefer it be left alone. again because the movepool was never a big problem with crystal
>rebalanced level curve and boss characters
Good
>the Dark type is physical, and Ghost, special
sure
>Trademons can evolve by level, or
why GF hasnt done this is beyond me. tradmons was shit back in the day and it's even worse now.
>new areas
nope
>rematches for every major npc
i personally never rematch but theres nothing wrong with it.
>revamped Kanto
nope

All you -have- to do to make Crystal enjoyable is fix the level curve that seems to shit on the game right after Whitney's gym is completed (that lasts for the rest of the game) and the game is suddenly worth replaying. From there, if you -want- you can go grab some johto mon that are post elite 4 and give them some earlier spawns and that's it. That's literally it. Yeah the kantoooo postgame feels a bit lacking since you're just dropping in from gym to gym, but that's not a big of a problem as people make it out to be. Silver is the best trainer period, so it makes sense for him to land in a new region and just clean house without getting involved in more shenanigans. All this extra shit is just a no from me. You're doing the same thing all the other hacks and mods are doing, adding too much custom shit in that no one asked for.
>>
>>45924642
The difference is, is that it's not a tip that I would ever use or need. It just befuddled my gameplay and wasted my time giving it to me. I'd rather slam work like slams always worked. It's an unneeded change that doesn't really impact the game in a really good way and is so miniscule and pointless to change that the only time I'll notice that it's changed is when Im battling some random pokemon that has it, and when i get force swapped wonder wtf happened. then remember oh yeah, some dude complained about hacks going off rails and adding unneeded shit to "improve" crystal so he made his own version....that adds unneeded shit he thinks "improves" crystal.

You're right. It is like getting a tip. I wait a table and these guys tip me two quarters. Fuck your two quarters I never use change and you've just wasted my time tipping me 50c you think you're doing me a favor but fuck you i'd rather have no tip because your tip is just a nuisance.
>>
>>45924777
i'd tip you more significantly if you were less of a jerk
>>
>>45924804
i dont need or want a tip you dingus. come in and pay for your meal (rebalance crystal after whitneys gym thats it) and be on your way.
>>
>>45924730
hows them bug moves treating you anon
>>
>>45924992
megahorn is awesome. what do you mean? Bug pokemon are strong early game and fall off mid to late, like theyre intended to, outside of a few standouts like heracross. see pokemon isn't and never was about taking a shit mon like caterpie to the elite 4. CAN you? sure. But butterfree isnt supposed to be end game.
>>
>>45925104
What’s your magic excuse for Delibird and his amazing catch location when the game is almost over? That kind of argument doesn’t hold up to the gentlest of scrutiny.
>>
>>45924642
My point was referring back to >>45922840 'not every Pokemon needs to learn everything'. No idea what that other anon is on about. If each and every Pokemon learns all the moves that type of mon could wish to, then their only differentiating factor is their stats.
>>
>>45925136
The same excuse for tangela being near the end of the game and being weak against the gym trainer youre on your way to fight in gen 1. It doesn't matter or make the game worse in the grand scheme of things. I'm for some changed spawns for johto mon to come earlier more or less. But it doesn't make the game better/worse if the spawn is changed. Again, im not against making some spawns make more sense but new moves? making up your own oc storyline? slam is now normal type dragon tail? making shitmon better stat balanced? It's all stuff that doesnt make the game better.

delibird being caught so late in the game is whatever. how boring would pokemon games be if you didnt see -any- new pokemon for the last three gyms? Because "oh its caught too late to be on my team" it would be kind of boring. The whole point of pokemon at its core is exploring and seeing new monsters.
>>
>>45925234
>if it’s weak you weren’t supposed to use it after the early game, unless it’s one of the many shitmons also confined to the endgame

Ok anon thanks
>>
>>45908193
>at least I was until SwSh
Ah yes I suddenly have "standards" now but lapped up gen 6.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.