[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vmg/ - Video Games/Mobile

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Yo, my tacticsy puzzle roguelike Pawnbarian came out on Android yesterday.
Same vibes as Hoplite, Into the Breach, Slay the Spire, and chess.
Core hook is that you use cards with chess pieces to move your hero like that chess piece.
Ad-free demo with a single IAP to unlock the whole thing. Link + some keys for the IAP in the first comment.
Hope you give it a try xoxo
t. relentless shill
>>
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.j4nw.Pawnbarian
WPVMGNHSZN24CF0W3P5TAFS9XJ
3JVMGF8HCCU944XLLGBZ4CPJXV
20VMGVJEWX2TBSAYZTMGGENQ3H
LWVMG75BH4J9093RM10BXK2XBN
3RVMGN1VQ4VV9SPZUU0RWGT7HB
delete characters 3-5
>>
Played for a few minutes and looks pretty cool. Never enough non-cancerous games on mobile.
The thing that's not so cool is that you have to keep holding the tap to read descriptions. How about having the text stay on after just a long-tap and disappear after another tap?
>>
How do I use the key you cunt?
>>
>>848803
Cheers. I might experiment with the tooltip interaction but tap and hold for tooltips felt very natural to me, and lots of similar games do the same thing, this is the first time I've heard this complaint. So no promises.
>>848818
You should be able to figure this out, anon.
>>
>>848827
Ok I'm very retarded. Seems like a good game I'll check it out.
>>
>>848827
I want to leisurely read the text several times while my bird brain tries to make sense of it. I want to take a good look on the board when the enemy attack range is shown. I don't want to make a hole in my screen after pressing it for minutes at a time.
Likewise, I thought my suggestion was a fairly common way to do this. Eh, maybe I'll get used to it.
>>
>>848827
Pretty cool game anon
Like >>848877 said It could be useful to keep the text on screen, for example (and I might be retarded) how do you check extra effects? Like the blight (?) used during the tutorial
>>
>>848905
There are no nested tooltips like that, Blight is pretty much the only thing you have to remember and you can check it directly on the board. It's just extra damage on a square.
>>
Just played it. Classes seem very fun. Might want a compendium so we can see what piece does.
>>
It's cool you're still working on this, I remember first playing it on Kong a few years back and loving the design of it. Reminder this is on Steam as well for those of us who want the original PC version.
>>
>>848827
On second thought, forget what I said about the long-tap. I played the demo a bunch more, finished it twice and already know what each enemy does. It's actually more useful to have a quick peek the way things work already. It's not like I do any fancy strategizing, I just cheese Shield and Cantrip.
>>
Love roguelikes, love strategy games, love chess, and love this game! Really wish I saw this thread sooner so I could have got a key
>>
>>854742
Cheers, remove first and last character
AELDXG2ETNPN3LWG005V96BBA
ANLHZGYQSJWNLACN0HG0ZR8ZA
A4ZSP29R2YX8W8N7ZB4UVXF7A
>>
>>855140
Holy based, thanks a million dude, I'll be sure to send a good review!
>>
Bump because I think this game is great
>>
File: 1653040667635.png (232 KB, 720x958)
232 KB
232 KB PNG
so far releasing a mobile game 100% lives up to expectations
>>
>>848699
I'd like to get a key but the Restore button doesn't even work here. Also iOS version when?
>>
where's my review copy?
ps I don't even know where you enter keys on the play store.

how long did it take you to make this? seems like a simple yet elegant idea.
>>
>>866525
Never mind, figured out where.
>all keys taken
Oh well.

>>866545
Same place as gift cards.
>>
>>866525
Not sure what you mean by Restore not working, it does trigger stuff under the hood but will not do anything if you do not have stuff to restore. Generally it shouldn't be necessary on Android at all, apps should trigger IAP restoration automatically upon reinstall. I just added it to be on the safe side.
iOS will be out in 2ish months.
>>866545
>how long did it take you to make this? seems like a simple yet elegant idea.
Cheers, honestly far too long. Gamejam prototype in a week, 80% of the expanded game in a few months, and then almost 2 years of barely working on it, mostly just in short bursts between being a lazy neet and having a pretty exhausting gamedev day job. Someone with my technical skills and design sense but better discipline would be able to get it done in less than a year, with plenty of design exploration and polishing time included.
>>
>>848699
Not interested in playing it but as a beginner dev this looks great.
Love the idea behind it as well.
>>
>>848699
advertising is not good
>>
>>848699
Interesting enough concept and the visuals look clean. I can't say that this would certainly lead to mainstream success but it's definitely work to be proud of.
>>
>>859480
Someone really liked your game, huh? Guess it explains why some of them cool puzzle games aren't being ported to mobile.
>>
>>873522
Yeah it feels slimy no matter what I do, but I try to at least be upfront about it. As far as I'm concerned it beats payrolling the adtech industry.
>>874132
Thanks. It's been enough of a success that I can make a modest living out of it and start working on another game fulltime, which is everything I could've asked for.
>>875128
I dunno, copycats can still be made even if a game isn't on the specific platform, and that's a way worse situation to be in.
>>
How many chains are there? And what do you guys think is the hardest dungeon?
>>
>>881554
Five, I think. I cheesed my way to chain three with the Mystic and got burned out after a week of playing. She's the easiest to play but also the most boring.
Golem Fortress is easily the most bullshit. You have to avoid using Cantrip and killing Spark-triggering foes so you're wasting turns and gold. Capyzerker struggles in particular because he's cucked out of his main ability entirely, and if he gets hit a few times, he'll be stuck in an inescapable chain of Cantrips that makes it impossible to clear a level. The most reckless character is forced to stack shields and fight carefully - say what? The last dungeon is different but it also has you take things slow if you want to live.
I guess this game is great for challenge-obsessed chess freaks who hate themselves. Every time you figure things out and start having fun, it finds a way to kick you where it hurts the most.
>>
>>882760
You do not have to bump up the chains anon, you can keep the difficulty at a level where it's fun and just challenging enough. That's the entire point of having difficulty levels.
>>
>>848699
Oh shit, I'd never thought I'd see you outside of /agdg/. How's the mobile market working out for you anon?
>>
>>886145
Cheers. Honestly, Android is going much better than expected. Many people are appreciative of the financial model, and almost no one is whining because they can't get shit for free / be subsidized by whales, and there's a very decent number of people picking up the full version. The store algo is still spinning up my organic exposure throughout the store, and I have a real chance of getting into some curated things.

I had very little hopes for Android when it comes to my financials, but it's already non-trivial, and over the long term might end up pulling as much money as Steam. The way things are looking Pawnbarian is going to let me continue being an indie shitter for a good while, even if my next game doesn't do that well.
>>
Also, the iOS version releases July 26 and it's now available for pre-order:
https://apps.apple.com/app/pawnbarian/id1510583444
No money involved, same model as on Android - pre-order will just download the ad-free demo once the game is out, you can later buy the single IAP if you like what you see. Sadly I won't be able to give away keys once it launches, Apple is a lot skimpier about generating those.
>>
>>886443
I just wanna say i'm absolutely in love with this concept. saw your thread a few days ago and bought the game.

there's so much you could do to develop this project further. hope you make this into something even greater!
>>
>>886475
Thanks anon. I'll have to disappoint you, I'm mostly done with the game for the time being. I might revisit it in the future with some extra stuff, but right now I'm itching to start working on something new, possibly within days, as the iOS release is pretty much ready.
>>
Anon I just downloaded and played the tutorial and first dungeon, I gotta say it's a great game. Got defeated the first time after recklessly going into a 2 damage tile twice in a row and refusing to buy hearts, but I went straight back in and started another run. I would buy the game now but I literally have less than 5 pounds in my account right now so it'll have to wait until I go to the bank tomorrow. Left a 5 star review too
>>
is this good
>>
File: Chaos_Knuckles_profile.png (159 KB, 360x360)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>848699
I need a prequel game that is about checkers
>>
more keys when?
>>
>>900653
just buy the goddamn game, it's like 7 USD
>>
Boss fights don't rely on strategy, just luck.
>>
where key

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.