[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 48 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 3341.jpg (2.07 MB, 2164x1624)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
Previous thread: >>675674

Beta Edition. Private server discussion welcome.

>What is FFXI?
FFXIV with soul.

>Is it too late to start?
No. The entirety of the story can be completed solo if one chooses.

>Where do I start?
There is a 14 day free trial.
https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/442968/final-fantasy-xi-free-trial-pc-download

>Oh my God, what am I doing?
Read the guide.
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Quickstart_1-119_Guide

>I don't want to use a guide.
Trust me, you do.
>>
already created a Horizon account, just waiting for the day bros
>>
>>761090
We should get a Fagcord going or something.
>>
>>761095
why? Horizon's Discord is already there and is very active
>>
>>761118
To make a 4chan linkshell.
>>
any news on combined subs? I want to head back in and fool around on retail but man i hate paying full price for it
>>
>>761121
>To make a 4chan linkshell
Not 100% sure I'll play Horizon but would be cool in case. I think it's a very ambitious project, I'd be curious to see how they would make Abyssea at 75 cap, and I like the fact that it's a pogression server, so I could play every expansion and start fresh together with everyone else. Don't know how to feel about jobs rebalance though, I don't really like the custom content part, but we'll see. Today they should release the last 3 jobs preview. If they make drg playable in endgame I might be jumping in the 17th
>>
i wanted to get back on wings after a year off but it's pretty daunting that they're down to 200 concurrent players so fast. i'm interested in knowing why you guys think people will play on horizon over wings?
>>
Starting on a fresh server with a mage job or anything that relies on items like shiheis will be hell.
I'm still not sure what job to play.
>>
>>761212
I doubt it'll ever happen. FFXI is tied so intrinsically to POL that there'd be no easy way to do it for people playing FFXIV.
>>
File: 1651468800851.png (796 KB, 1920x1080)
796 KB
796 KB PNG
>>
File: 1639219441124.png (771 KB, 1920x1080)
771 KB
771 KB PNG
>>
File: 1656249332424.png (850 KB, 1920x1080)
850 KB
850 KB PNG
>>
>>761359
let's fucking go. I would be really curious to see how it actually plays out in endgame
>>
>>761358
>historically underused
Yeah, because they were shit.
>>
>>761340
Maybe the buzz has worn off?
>>
>>761340
You'll get a nice month or so of decent players (probably 1000+) and then it'll trickle. Don't think that's necessarily that bad, but Horizon will most likely end up with ~500ish players.
>>
>>761399
that would be higher than any other p server. Basically everyone on eden has 2/3 accounts
>>
>>761351
Linking subscriptions wouldn't necessitate getting rid of POL. All payments are done through the SE account and they've given linked subscription benefits in the past. I doubt it'll happen though because XI is likely still very profitable since it's actually a good game people are willing to pay $13-80+ month for.
>>
What's more based, tank Taru or mage Galka or Elvaan BLM ?
>>
File: wut.png (16 KB, 833x459)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
Can someone give me a quick rundown of what happened with Nasomi? I didn't play for a while and it seems more than half the population disappeared since then. I know they apparently did some questionable decisions but I don't know much more than that.

HorizonXI seems like an interesting server to play on though, due to being a 75 Era+ server, so I'll give it a try if you guys hop on it.
>>
>>761449
>Nasomi
Probably just some retarded admin drama, the bane of all private servers. Nas was always known to be a bit of a schizo and his flunkies got caught monopolizing the market a while back, and I think there was a big problem with admins cheating and doing RMT. Eden had a similar thing which sucks because theu are the only server trying to do a 1:1 version of the game. I switched servers 3 times before just saying fuck it and quitting.
>>
Any of these worth picking up?
>>
>>761548
>Amchuchu
Great for heavy damage fights. Holds aggro about as good as the other decent tank trusts, but having an AoE mdef buff is great
>Koru-Moru
One of the best RDM trusts you can get even if his HP pool is shit
>King of Hearts
Another decent RDM trust that's more offensive than Koru, however he only buffs you and Shantotto trusts. So he won't refresh your other trusts.
>Qultada
Must have trust due to being one of the only corsair trusts. Rolls help a lot once you trust out of the point where trusts do shit damage. Also does Corsair's Roll for exp whenever you use one of the EXP / CP rings
>Sakura
A "nice to have" as it speeds up melee skill gain rate and gives a HP regen buff. I used it a lot during leveling at lower levels.
>>
>>761456
> Eden had a similar thing which sucks because theu are the only server trying to do a 1:1 version of the game. I switched servers 3 times before just saying fuck it and quitting.
really? well Eden seems still pretty alive though
>>
>>761548
King of Hearts is the only trust that will always give you haste 2 regardless of your job so very useful if you play something like melee COR or something. You want pretty much every trust anyway to get the level boost from having 86 (?) different trusts.
>>
>>761560
Eden seems to have one dev really hellbent on implementing shit no one wants, like the xp bands timer change or the buff timers
>>
If Horizon remains drama-free and has a steady stream of content, I can see this being our Turtle WoW, which means it'll get over 1K pop easily
>>
>>761850
Big if. I'm cautiously optimistic though.
>>
File: Whine_Cellar_Key.png (10 KB, 366x56)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
Been grinding for this fucking key for an hour and a half and it refuses to drop.
>>
File: img.jpg (283 KB, 768x761)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
give up trannies
blizzard won
>>
the thought of starting over again...damn
>>
Are the private servers exactly like retail or have they changed stuff?
>>
>>762040
They were mostly made out of hating the direction retail took after abyssea
>>
>>762010
wow really did turn into a furry game huh?
>>
>>761893
If Ninja streams Horizon, it'll get big for sure, they just need to maintain momentum and not sperg out like Wings did
>>
>>762119
>private servers
>not sperging out
>>
>>762119
>If Ninja streams Horizon, it'll get big for sure
Maybe for a month or so. Didn't he stream Nasomi and that's pretty much dead?
>>
>>761090

>XI private server, the whole point is supposed to be experiencing era retail again

>let's change stuff for no reason other than appealing to the owners and coders personal preferences and pretend we're trying to shake up the meta instead

This is Nasomi and Deadwing all over again. No thanks.

There isn't a single reason as to why this server is going to be any different.
>>
>>761456
>>761449

Nasomi banned a huge amount of players for cheating/exploiting/RMT and stopped updating the server so people moved elsewhere.

It has nothing to do with admins or GM tho. GM existed at some point but were fordibben from showing themselves and interacting with the players, they were basically invisible observers that reported exclusively to Nasomi. They were removed early on anyway. The only admin Nas has ever had was Deadwing who got caught exploiting relic currencies and other NM drops and was demoted real quick.

The server was run as a one man show for 95% of its existence.
>>
Just tried to make a FFXI thread on /v/, where were you all?
>>
>>762733
Here.
>>
>>761953
Two fucking hours now. What am I doing wrong?

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Recollections
>>
>>762859
Use Findall to make sure you don’t have one already somewhere.
Check otherwiki to make sure you’re in the right spot since BGwiki can be less accurate for 75-era stuff.
>>
>>762943
>Use Findall to make sure you don’t have one already somewhere.

Goddammit. At least I grinded some levels out.
>>
>>763772
Findall is such a huge QoL tool.
>>
Hunting 4 Games put out a new video related to Horizon.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XkdrO-DYI0Y
>>
Why can't the campaigns last an entire month...
>>
File: 1622002440610.png (1.51 MB, 1080x1440)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
Definitely excited for Horizon. Grouping up with my old Wings shell again on launch.

>>761619
muh era...

>>762200
pretty sure he will paly it at the least. he was in the dev blog streams and commenting on the vids. he played wings a lot, but didn't stream as much. guessing because viewership tanks for ffxi compared to fortnite.
>>
File: 1669678742444.jpg (7 KB, 229x139)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
im probably the youngest person playing ffxi. I turned 24 this year.
>>
>>765279
i'm 26 and thought i was one of the youngest, also not a basement dweller so that has to count for something
>>
>>765279
I'm 22
>>
>>765515
i don't believe you
>>
also fuck it, let's get a horizon ls going
discord(.)gg/V8TxeHchRK
>>
>>762119
he practically killed his channel streaming wings and still plays there offstream. he should just stream it on an alt if he wants 2.
>>
>>765438
>not a basement dweller
what a loser
>>
>have more than 1000 hours on eden
>still somewhat curious about the idea of trying horizon, really like the project
fuuuuuug
>>
File: 1666527272773272.gif (1.48 MB, 350x263)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB GIF
>>765758
No private server lasts forever. Just play what seems more interesting at the time and enjoy the connections you make.

Maybe Horizon is a shitshow and everyone ends up back on Eden anyway. Maybe it's a runaway success like Nostalrius or TurtleWoW. Better to live in the moment and not try to predict the future.
>>
>>765737
why not? is there a minimum age limit for FFXI?
>>765753
as much as I hate his zoomer fans, I must admit the guy's pretty legit if he like XI that much
>>
>>765763
you're right brother
>>
who else /mid 30s/ here?
>>
File: 1658045719746.png (170 KB, 446x840)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
We eating well this month boys
>>
>>765925
SE the Odyssey Campaign…
SE the Quintuple Exemplar Points campaign…
>>
>>765925
These campaigns kind of suck compared to what we have now. Anyone get anything good this month? I managed to score an Orpheus sash and crepuscular cloak from trove and a new pulse from NNI. Was a good month indeed.
>>
>>765975
AMAN trove campaign just gave me a shit ton of mimics like always.
>>
>>765980
Same. I've been saving all my vouchers for like 3-4 months so was very excited when they announced the campaign. Like 80% mimics and mostly straight trash when I eventually got loud thuds, but did get the sash so that kinda turned my mood around (then straight back to mimics and trash). Same with NNI, all trash then finally a pulse. All about perseverance and luck I guess.
>>
File: 1657342657885.jpg (48 KB, 461x760)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
god abyssea sucks
>>
>>765925
I blew through all my rem's tales 1-5, so I'm glad for the macrocosmic campaign at least.
>>
do GMs still jail people?
>>
>>765802
no i just for some reason can't imagine ffxi appealing to people younger than me or people younger than me even knowing about it
>>
>twf when bought this game in the 2000s but retard mom wouldn't pay for the monthly subscription so got in to guild wars instead
>>
>>766636
Turns out generalizations are kind of retarded and generations of people are pretty unique. Do you think that every zoomer just plays Fortnite all day and that's it?
>>
>>766636
I play anything that's interesting to me. Age doesn't matter. Currently playing retail WoW as we speak.
>>
Farming Abyssea NMs is oddly soothing once you have the full 13 WS set for red procs.
I start getting drowsy by the end of the first 2 hour set.
>>
Imagine losing to a seasonal event battlefield after a 30 minute slog...
>>
>>767254
I really enjoy fights that spam mass removal of ALL buffs ever 20-30 seconds. That's pretty neat.
>>
Can I solo Odyssey and Omen bosses as BLU and maybe PUP?
>>
>>767345
Maybe if you're decked out in top end gear.
>>
>>767345
As long as you can hit the right damage type, V0 Atonement 1 and 2 Gaol bosses should be easy on any well geared job.
>>
>>761340
Wings had some major drama a while back. They lost hundreds of players over a couple months.
>>
>https://horizonxi.com/news/job-previews
>no puppetmaster
They really hate him don't they? It was obvious when they had the separate class channels in their discord and clearly no dev wanted anything to do with the job.
>>
>>767553
Its launching with CoP jobs only bro...
>>
>>767563
Oh.. I haven't been keeping up.
>>
>>767553
>nerfing rdm
dropped and dogshit
>>
>>767553
I'm doing that thing where I constantly make plans in my head for the perfect strategy for a first job to level up quickly and get to mid level quickly and efficiently. They keep saying things like "if you want to play X job first then play that job first!" I wonder if the tweaks and changes they made will really make a big difference in the early game. Will starting as a THF be okay? A THF without a subjob working your way up the early launch rush, or will the strategy of taking WAR or MNK first, doing SJ quest, then taking THF/??? to mid game still be the better strat?
>>
>>767617
If you truly want the fastest method, become someone's bitch and level WHM first
>>
>>767621
Anyone who takes a mage job first is a real champion, thank God they exist, but I don't know if I can be that guy.
>>
>>761077
can you play with a controller on pc?
>>
>>767628
Definitely, works very well
>>
>>767576
They're just making it so RDM isn't one of the best tanks in the game. I don't think they're going to hit other parts of their kit that hard if at all.
>>
>>767626
Actually this might not be a bad time to do it, the devs were talking about easing the burden of early level spell costs. But you'd still be playing a white mage, so if you just don't like playing the job you'll still have to deal with that.
>>
>>767631
WHM and RDM aren't so bad. For awhile you can get away with just the essentials. BLM probably has the worst of it.
>>
>>767628
the game's keyboard controls are kinda ass
>>
>>767617
A lot of people will be going THF for Treasure Hunter obviously. Might be good to start WAR so you can tank in early parties. THF won't give you much until 15 anyway.

>>767626
Someone will have to do it because parties need them. It will also be beneficial at the start to avoid having to fight for the level 1-2 mobs at the gates of cities since with heals you can effectively kill higher levels on your way to 10+.

>>767628
Yeah but it will kinda suck in higher level play where you need quicker access to a lot of macros. But there are some addons to help with that.
>>
File: b32.png (237 KB, 374x426)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
How fucked am I going to be if I've only played modern retail? I have hundreds of hours in the game but have treated it 100% as a single player game. Have never grouped, never bothered to macro, and never bothered to min/max. I have no grasp of the in-game lingo or meta. Should I even bother trying Horizon or am I just going to be ignored?
>>
>>767945
Most people are pretty friendly and willing to help others out, as long as you're willing to learn you'll find people willing to teach. There is definitely a big difference from playing modern retail and a private server trying to emulate the classic era, but you shouldn't be intimidated by that, or by the people you'll find playing out there.
>>
>>767945
You'll know the locations of somethings but besides that you'll be learning the game all over again. People are pretty helpful or at least they were on Eden in my experience. It's not going to be very solo friendly though. You will have to party to level up.
>>
>>767945
Horizon will have plenty of new people, but yes you will need to group to get anything of substance done.

You can technically party from level 10 to level 30, unlock BST, and then still solo a large portion of the game, but most things in classic required a group. That's why people remembered it so fondly. You were forced to talk to people and it was fun.
>>
Uh oh. I should have played in the Horizon beta or something, because right now I'm thinking of downloading Eden or something just so I can play anything. Two weeks seems so far away now.
>>
>>768163
Anyone here playing on CatsEyeXI? Maybe that's the server to play around on for the next 16 days to whet the appetite.
>>
>>767576
still the best class in the game, stop crying ffs
>>
>>768166
Just play something else so you can go full steam in launch.
>>
>>768557
The mood really changed once we hit December, we're in the launch month now, only 2 weeks away. Been looking forward to this for months, but these last few days are gonna feel the longest. I haven't played Final since LimitBreak shut down near the beginning of this year. The itch is real.
>>
>>769031
You're gonna feel like shit starting over if you start somewhere now.
>>
>>769031
I suggest playing other FF games to sate your appetite. XII is kinda like an MMO.
>>
I've never played XI but I want to start with the launch of Horizon.

What is the difference between the live version and Horizon? (or private servers in general)

Am I going to miss something by not playing the live version?
>>
>>769089
I forgot the most important question: is there a punching class?
>>
>>769089
>>769124
Private servers try to recapture what the game was like back in its heyday of level 75 cap. Obviously they can't but they try their best to get close, each one making changes here and there, some little some large. Horizon is different because they want to add all the post 75 stuff and retool it as 75 content, along with all the gear and balance changes that will require. Whether that turns out great or awful remains to be seen, but it should at least be interesting. Most private servers die from admin drama so I find it best to treat any private server as temporary, if it's still there the next time I want to play, great, but I'm ready to move to a new one if need be.

Retail on the other hand, has moved the group play to the end of the game, instead of being constant throughout. You can summon npc party members to exp grind, or do quests with, but once you hit ilvl gear they start to really fall off, and they just follow you and attack what you attack so if anything requires any sort of positioning or procs, they can't do it. Retail has the full story from every expansion, that you can clear solo with trusts, so if you're interested in story retail is the only way to get that, and there's even new content still being added. It's definitely a different game from what pservers try to emulate, I played the game back in the day and have played on plenty of pservers, so I've done the 75 stuff a million times so I enjoy playing retail now for something different. Private servers are free so you only lose out on some time if you don't like it.

>is there a punching class?
Monk uses fist weapons. Puppetmaster can be unlocked at level 30, they use H2H and they have an automaton bro as well. Horizon is starting at the Chains of Promathia expansion I believe, and PUP wasn't added until the one after CoP, so it won't have it to start.
>>
>>769089
>>769124
Retail XI and private server XI are fundamentally different games, sort of akin to the modern vs classic servers of other MMOs like WoW or EQ.

Retail XI has years of updates and nowadays is built around being able to complete a large majority of the games content solo with NPCs to help you. You are able to experience the entire story by yourself, with endgame content being the only content that requires grouping at all.

Most private servers & HorizonXI are built around the early years where you really had to party up with other people to get anything of significance done. After level or 10 or so, you won't be able to level solo effectively anymore. You will be forced to party if you actually want to continue leveling and progressing at a reasonable pace.

There are a few jobs that are better at performing solo such as Beastmaster (BST), but you need to reach level 30 to unlock it in the first place and you'll still get more EXP/hour by bringing it into a party with others.

Monk is the job you're looking for if you want to punch things.
>>
>>769152
Thanks for the explanation. So I can assume that retail requires less interaction with players, right?

I really miss the social aspect being important in those games and I dig the 'release mmo experience™' so I guess horizon it is. See you in december 17th
>>
>>769168
>So I can assume that retail requires less interaction with players, right?

You can literally complete all of the story on retail without using chat or grouping with a single person.
>>
>>769168
FFXI is about as social as an MMO possibly can be, since it's effectively an EQ clone with an FF skin. You will basically be partying all the time to do anything.

It's arguably even more social because EQ had a few classes that could effectively solo. FFXI has maybe two and neither are unlocked from the start.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.