[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20221024001139_1.jpg (907 KB, 2560x1440)
907 KB
907 KB JPG
/edg/ is ded, long live /edg/
Previous discussion
>>636511

All that remains of this game now is a hardcore community of diehard fans (and that's an okay thing)
>>
You DO have your anti-xeno dropship Crusader ready, right, /edg/?
>>
Wetwork missions are pretty fun in the sense of jumping into a political rally and nuking the target and free wheeling outta there before his security detail gets you.
>>
>>753582
I've never cared about the meme story. Whenever I log in I fuck off into deep space to explore and scan planets.
>>
>>753582
Give me a build to use and I just might.
I have no powerplay modules, and no tech broker unlocks of any kind except the FSD booster. I have access to mbooni.
>>
Trying to do bulk passenger missions in the Dolphin seems like a complete meme honestly.
>>
>>753647
I can't actually give a build because just like everyone else I have no idea what'd be useful or not. That said, it's the only medium ship with four seats, so if you want to be able to send out a couple of teammates in a scorpion, another one in a fighter, and have dumbfires and flechettes to bomb from the air in a GCZ, I guess that's the one niche the crusader can kinda do okay

>>753584
whenever I do wetwork missions it always ends up as shit like "kill 20 passenger liners that all run away as quickly as possible," how do you get fun ones?
>>
>>753696
The meta is faoff cold orbiting with an unshielded Chieftain armed with gauss and thermal vent beam, but that's also high skill and not for beginners.
Alternatively you can face tank in a large ship with salvation shards.
>>
>>753696
>whenever I do wetwork missions it always ends up as shit like "kill 20 passenger liners that all run away as quickly as possible," how do you get fun ones?
Uhhhh I forget how to tell since I'm still newish to the game but I think the political assassination missions just have the target symbol while the massacre ones have the target with the skull.
>>
>>753572
after 5 months, time for a new thread, time flies when you're having fun
>>
The CG multicannons deal 59.1 DPS. As class 2. What the actual fuck.
>>
I've been thinking of fucking off in a carrier for a week and doing deep space exploration and mining. Can't decide where to head towards though, I just know I don't want to do one of the stereotypical locations like colonia or the center. Any ideas?

>>753807
That's for interceptors. for what it's worth I use an unshielded krait for that, but I'm a shitter and can't kill a medusa (I keep fucking up my orbits and have bad aim at hearts). We don't know what's coming for the stargoids though, and if it's ground combat some sort of stupid ground assault craft MIGHT be useful. Probably won't be, though, because FDev have completely dropped the ball on the combined arms concept
>>
>>753963
Combined arms was a retarded idea in the first place. It'd be like present day infantry staring down an A10 and expecting not to get facefucked.
>>
>>753963
>>754000
Combined arms was never going to work. The theatre of battle is never larger than a single city block on the ground because of how surface settlements work, which is too close-quarters for infantry-supported armor, and air support that can both loiter and hit the entire battlefield from a single position just trumps everything with even the tiniest window of opportunity to lay down fire. So either the settlement AA defence has to be perfect and ships become pointless, or ships nuke the battlefield anyway and the AA may as well not be there.
>>
I've been memeing with the afk T10 build lately and it's pretty game-breaking once engineered. With enough shields you're unkillable in low res sites, even when your SLF dies after a few hours. Coming back from work to 100s of millions in massacre payouts ready to be cashed in feels pretty obscene lmao
>>
>try to land t9 at a settlement to pick up commodities
>DRP is red on the hud and I drop hundreds of kilometers from the surface
What gives?
>>
>>754039
Are you running Horizons 4.0 and trying to land on an Odyssey-only thin atmo planet?
>>
>playing Horizons 4.0 because I don't own Odyssey
>game says there's an interstellar factor in a nearby system
>it's not there
>look up info on a site
>odyssey only settlement
Sasuga FDev-sama....
>>
>>754039
>>754081
>>754092
the absolute state
>>
>just found out putting pips into SYS boosts your shield resist vs absolute damage
Finally, I can FA-OFF full throttle boost towards the mailslot without fear.
>>
>>754229
4 pips literally = 60% resist vs everything, and it compounds with any resists you already have
>>
>>753696
Interesting. How do flechettes work against ground targets?

>>753942
Not surprising seeing how CG "lightweight ammo capacity" heatsinks net you FIVE of them at 1.3 tons - per slot
>>
>>753963
>Can't decide where to head towards though
Nu-bubble. You'll stay there after stargoids wreck shit, too. Or rotate to Colonia if they don't fuck us there too.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/yuxsq5/the_alazia_bubble/
>>
>>754303
Is that heatsink available to buy anywhere?
>>
>>754304
>wanted to get all the bubble engineers unlocked to minmax my ship before I go exploring deep in the black
>Palin requires I go 5kly away
Where are these shuttle carriers and how long does it take to get out to the black and back in one?
>>
>>754489
Shuttles are at nearly all stations, maybe only missing on Colonia Bridge project stations? But they only go as far as one tank of fuel (about 6 jumps) and have jump ranges around 20Ly. Personally I took a very basic Asp X to Cat's Paw and back. Stray a couple hundred LYs from the straight line between it and the bubble and you'll make first-discoveries.
>>
>>753582
>PVE in Elite Dangerous
Who the FUCK doesn't already have 1 trillion useless credits now?
>>
>>754559
>Shuttles
I meant player carriers doing trips back and forth between the bubble and other places to move players. I'd be down to just hop in one of those and sit for a couple days while it does a complete loop. Get all the distance unlocks done.
>>
I'm really loving the dropship are the later feddie ships just linear upgrades or do they handle/play differently?
>>
>>754584
Different. The FAS is a dogfighter and the FGS is a fat pig of a platform for attaching multicannons which can also carry a fighter.
>>
>>754584
What's even the appeal of the dropship? It seems slow and confused, with mediocre hardpoints and a terrible jump range making non-combat an issue
>>
>>754303
Flechettes go through shields like they do for ships and hit in an aoe, apparently. Haven't unlocked them myself, since I don't actually do much ground stuff
>>
File: Marge.png (160 KB, 480x360)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>754678
So if I wanted a slow gunboat ship I'd go FGS?

>>754696
>>
>>754817
Fair, I'm glad you enjoy it at least! The only thing slower and gunboatier are the type-10 and to a lesser extent the Corvette, for what it's worth. The gunboat is actually significantly faster than both, but not nearly as maneuverable as the Corvette. Smaller target than either, though. The FAS is basically just an outclassed FDL, so if you want dominance, the FGS it is.
>>
>>754827
Thanks I'll focus on unlocking the FGS then.
>>
File: FGS go brrrrrrt.jpg (33 KB, 600x600)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>754817
>>
>>754827
The FAS doesn't fly like an FDL at all. It's more like a fat Vulture.
>>755055
A large multicannon
A medium multicannon
A medium multicannon
A medium multicannon
A medium multicannon
A small multicannon
And
A small multicannon
>>
>>754562
I'm don't carriers count, as they move around differently than ships, and you're literally parked/locked down during the drive sequence.

Be easy to make that distance on the Neurton Highway
>>
>>754880
If some shit breaks out and stations go into evac: you'll have a very easy time on the rep grind.
>>
>>754562
Fleet Carriers Owners Club on Discord is a hub for all carriers that go places.
>inb4 discord
suck it up, discord is sadly the only way to get current info
>>
File: 20210515165847_1.jpg (340 KB, 2560x1440)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
Soon™
>>
>>755353
>Desire to purge xenos intensifies.
>>
>the xeno lovers are sending a megaship right at one of the stargoids to try and hail it
Hopefully the rest of the galaxy's traitors learn that peace was never an option after the goids destroy it.
>>
>>755728
lol it's gonna be like that one scene from Independence Day.
>>
>decide to take part in CG
>jump into system and immediately get interdicted 3 times in a row
>fail and 2 other ships also jump in and completely eviscerate my stock python instantly
im sorry ill never bully solocels again, i get it now
empty cargo hold btw
>>
>>755844
There's a CG going on? What're the rewards?
>>
>>755863
there's one that just started to deliver resources to the thargoid diplomacy megaship resources
https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/galnet/kingfisher-xeno-peace-mission
dont think theres any special rewards
>>
File: 20210517100752_1.jpg (140 KB, 2560x1440)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>755863
Deliveries or bounty bonds for alien peace effort. No special awards.

But Soon™
>>
File: asdasdasdasdasd.png (456 KB, 861x540)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
>>755580
>filename
>they live in ammonia worlds several degrees colder than our worlds.
so, will they be using suits?
>>
>>755079
>A-10 in space
what mods?
>>
what the fuck even is elite dangerous
i have seen it mentioned more times than i can count, and each time it seems like people are shit-talking it. i've never met someone who's actually played it before
>>
>>756028
Probably a biosuit/second skin of some sort so you can't distinguish where the goid ends and the environment gear begins.
Oddly enough an unprotected human would survive longer at their temperature than an unprotected goid would in ours. Also ammonia has a much smaller liquid range than water does, which suggests naturally poor thermal tolerance on their part.
>>
>>756044
1 small high cap corrosive, then all overcharged with half auto loader and half incendiary

>>756052
space sim, by the company of one of the guys that made the original wireframe space sim back in 1983. this one has better graphics and is multiplayer but idiotic game design decisions and a lot of half baked features. I still play it though since I like the flight and it's fun watching credits go up
>>
>>756052
A space sim with really good fundamentals and genuine potential but FDev is ran by retards who have mismanaged the game.
>>
>>756044
Short-range or overcharged depending on if you think you can manage engagement distance, with one small MC having ammo cap for corrosive shell. Other secondaries are whatever meme floats your boat. Emissive counters sinks and silent running, incindiary for shields in pve (unnecessary for pvp since pvp builds have balanced res), thermal shock to make FDLs cook themselves, etc...
I hope you picked up the pre-eng multis from the last CG because those are beastly on a short-range MC build.
>>
>>756113
>I hope you picked up the pre-eng multis from the last CG because those are beastly on a short-range MC build.
They're literally full-auto frag cannons which deal class 4 damage in a class 2 slot.
>>
>comparing thruster mods
Which'll give me a cooler run in SC? I remember seeing someone say that dirty drives actually gave a cooler SC than clean but can't find it.
>>
>>756391
Thrusters' thermal load stat only comes into play while actively under thrust, and has no effect while in SC.
The increased heat in SC comes entirely from the increased power draw because your power plant generates heat proportional to your total power draw at all times. And clean drives draws more power than dirty. Only reinforced doesn't increase your heat generation in SC. No thruster mod actually decreases your heat output in SC.
>>
>>756391
I remember some discussion about that somewhere to, but can't recall. I know the grade of Power Plant seems to have the most effect, and of course having low demand modules or turned off modules can help keep a low basline in SC. I find heat management is only a major thing in combat or very long trek exploration in the black where you want to dodge microcuts of heat damage (refuels, boosts, atmospheric flying/boosting) but any long range explorer should have a large scoop to make most refuels a top off.
>>
>>756598
>clean drives draws more power than dirty.
That was it.
>>
File: 20220208213608_1.jpg (1.3 MB, 2560x1440)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
Post workhorses.
>>
File: 1667887674041.jpg (93 KB, 600x823)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>supercruise assist crashed me into a planet while i was taking a piss again
>>
>>759755
SCA isn't designed to avoid obstacles. It's basically just cruise control.
Not that anyone uses it for cruise control either.
Everyone just abuses its ability to safe drop above 1 Mm/s on approach to shave time off SC travel.
>>
https://youtu.be/-AWfNOTmYFQ
>>
https://youtu.be/65JxZDN3Edk
>game will be split between Live and Legacy modes
>Live will be updates 14 and beyond, Legacy will be 3.8
>Legacy will not get any further content or narrative updates or Community Goals
>they will maintain separate copies of the galaxy (the BGS will be separate, discovering a planet in Legacy will not discover it in Live and vice-versa, etc)
>Live and Legacy will maintain separate save files from 29th of November (no hopping back and forth between them)
>they will both initially be copies of your account as it was on the 29th, but after that they will diverge
Make sure your fucking raw material storage is full cus you won't just be able to swap over to 3.8 to access the farming sites anymore!
>>
>>760903
So they're actually consolidating all the disparate versions into just 2 now huh?
>>
>>760903
this is how they should've done solo/pg and open from the beginning. they still aren't doing it. faggots.
>>
>>760925
No, it looks like there'll be
4.0 and beyond (save file 1):
>Live: Odyssey (open)
>Live: Odyssey (private group)
>Live: Odyssey (solo)
>Live: Horizons (open)
>Live: Horizons (private group)
>Live: Horizons (solo)
3.8 (save file 2):
>Legacy: Odyssey (open)
>Legacy: Odyssey (private group)
>Legacy: Odyssey (solo)
>Legacy: Horizons (open)
>Legacy: Horizons (private group)
>Legacy: Horizons (solo)
>Legacy: Horizons (open) (Xbox)
>Legacy: Horizons (private group) (Xbox)
>Legacy: Horizons (solo) (Xbox)
>Legacy: Horizons (open) (Playstation)
>Legacy: Horizons (private group) (Playstation)
>Legacy: Horizons (solo) (Playstation)
>Legacy: Base game (open) (Xbox)
>Legacy: Base game (private group) (Xbox)
>Legacy: Base game (solo) (Xbox)
>Legacy: Base game (open) (Playstation)
>Legacy: Base game (private group) (Playstation)
>Legacy: Base game (solo) (Playstation)
oh yea, console doesn't get it, they're stuck with Legacy only. And the console account transfer will be disabled and then come back after a while, but it won't be copying over as much stuff, so now's the time to do it if you want to, or else you'll probably lose progress.

Odyssey owners are being given access to Horizons 4.0 (Live: Horizons), so if they want to play with their friends that don't own Odyssey they can switch to that and just have Odyssey content disabled I guess. At least they won't need to jump through hoops to get it, it'll just be right there on the launcher.
>>
>>760945
lol this game is such a joke
>>
Did the CG for the sacrificial megaship end already?
>>
File: Ronnie.jpg (87 KB, 282x266)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>760945
>>
>>760954
Yeah it closed on Tuesday and disembarked, while it's patron politician couldn't join in.

Megaship Kingfisher made it to system and has gone dark for 24 hours.
>>
>>761752
It's scrap metal now, which absolutely no one saw coming.
>>
File: 1225f8o5r02a1.jpg (699 KB, 3840x2160)
699 KB
699 KB JPG
>>760954
>>761752
It's already been destroyed by thargoids. It seems peace was never an option
>>
>goid sensors in cargo holds aggro the bugs almost inmediately when scan
>ship sent to barter peace is attacked
>thargoid sensors can be found sometimes when opening the cargo hatches
>fed senator conveniently didn't join the ship he sent due to """scheduling conflicts"""
totally not an inside job
>>
>>761832
Sensors being there is part of the standard loot table for goid-damaged megaships.
>>
>Odyssey 50% off till the 29th
>update hits the 29th
hmmm... Think there's gonna be a time after the update hits but before the sale ends? I wanna at least see patch notes to see if it includes any changes to ground shit.
>>
>>760945
Meanwhile the new Call of Duty has 1 (one) peer-to-peer instance for every platform
>>
>>762031
No shut up it's LITERALLY impossible for fdev to do anything other than have 15 servers for versions of the game that are in maintenance mode.
>>
>>762035
I wonder if this new shit is the idea of the guy who replaced Braben. I hope not. Anyway, here's something nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l49iW5eA2_A
>>
Community goals had us rewarded with so much unobtainable shit
>FSDs other than 5 when
>railguns, multis, heatsinks when
>>
>>762063
>heatsink
NOO!
>>
>>762077
unironically an OP module cause lightweight and 5 rounds in one slot
>>
>>762037
Part of me was thinking if Thargoid peace was going anywhere we'd get Stargoid-gates to other parts of the galaxy to make the bubble-pop happen.
>>
>>761793
>We may never be able to dock and explore these wrecks

Feels bad, I want to explore/salvage derelicts
>>
>>762307
Goids pop in within seconds and would destroy your ship docked outside anyway.
>>
>>761950
Does Odyssey fuck anything up in the base game
>>
>>762195
Did they give it as a reward for the megaship CG? I missed it last time.
>>
>>762450
Some very specific nuances bugs that affect high end PVP and Tharg PVE, so hardly anyone notices. Biggest difference is in farming organic crystal shards for Grade 4 Raw engi materials, they're not nearly as concentrated: at least that's the only reason I hop into Ody.

I think the other headache are some weird logics on crime/punishment death that can separate you from your ship, and require you to tow it or taxi yourself outa jail. But a recent patch note helped reduce the scenarios that let it happen.
>>
File: elite.png (568 KB, 1492x996)
568 KB
568 KB PNG
Why is the planet colored like that when there's nothing on it? There should be some kind of geyser or something listed up top right? Is it tracking plantlife and since I don't have legs it won't tell me anything?
>>
>>762730
Not 100% what's up since part of your hud is gone, but looks the same as an Ody surface scanned planet. H biosignals are the concentrated markers you can simply fly to. O bio are usually more spread out around the blue zones, with blue marking the altitude in the biome.
>>
How often does the game check for unlock requirements for engineers?
I started but quit a long ass time ago so I don't know exactly where my starter system was, but I'm over 6k ly from Sol and Palin STILL think's I'm 3.4k ly away from my starter system.
>>
>>762452
They gave it two times, you can get 6 total
And I got them all, and most are on my AX Chief, 20 heatsinks wooooo
>>
>>762895
FUCK! I missed it every single time!
>>
I'm gonna embark on a xenobio journey out to Tenebrae and back. Anyone know if the xenobio payout buffs are in yet?
>>
>>763192
Nope, been pushed back to the update itself
>>
>jump range of 288ly
>galaxy map target next neutron star
>282ly
>literally won't let me jump directly to it
>have to do normal distance jumps
WHAT THE FUCK.

Is there some way to manually target it like you can with really close systems in the navigation tab?
>>
File: set target.jpg (124 KB, 969x538)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>763531
>>
>>763192
You going with a fleet carrier or just your trusty ship? Because if you die on foot before offloading it all onto a carrier, all bio data is lost
>>
>>764140
Just my ship. I'm pretty overly cautious so I hopefully won't die. I might make a stop at one of the DSSA fleet carriers though after the xenobio payout increase is put in.
>>
>servers expected to go down at 7am
>expected to come back up at 3pm
>Horizons only update: 164.7 MB
>Odyssey update: 4.8 GB
>patch notes will be shared tomorrow, just ahead or alongside server downtime
>sale ends tomorrow at 1pm
Depending on how quickly they get the patch notes out, it might be possible to review the changes before the sale ends and decide if you want to get Odyssey.
>>
>>765167
Holy shit that is one big update. As usual with Frontier I have no hopes or expectations whatsoever, but this time we might get something nice.
>>
>>765167
I expect half of their shit being broken at launch.
>>
>>765437
>Holy shit that is one big update
Is it? Are you being ironic?
I mean, I wouldn't consider a 4.8 GB update to a 70GB game BIG considering how much hype they've been trying to drum up for it. I would've expected 10, but I don't typically pay attention to update sizes.

Since we know the final destination of Taranis is a system inside the bubble with an ammonia world I'm leaning towards a Powerplay 'rework' where they add in Thargoids as a new Power (which players cannot work for in any way) which will have to be fought off and can expand into / retreat from systems the same way human factions do. Just with more stations blowing up instead of changing hands. Each Stargoid will be a super-station capital in different systems that the Thargoids will base from, or they'll land and become ground bases on the ammonia worlds Aldnoah Zero Landing Castle style, since most of the update is for Odyssey client.

We starship troopers now.

Hopefully we get new powerplay modules and all the existing ones get rebalanced. Different size versions of the modules WHEN? It's not fair only the Prismatic shield generator is in more than one size. Who am I kidding, the tiny Horizons update is probably just to support the new faction in the display, while all the actual new shit is feet only.
I HOPE YOU'RE READY FOR POWERPLAY GROUND GEAR! JUST FOUR WEEKS AND YOU CAN BUY THE NEW AX RIFLE!
>>
>>765462
It's specifically just 3.8 that's no longer getting content updates so the 140MB is probably just capping it off and maybe some fixes. There's still 4.0 Horizons so who knows how much of the 5GB update is foot content.
There's also no way the goids or AX unlocks will interact with powerplay at all. They're two entirely unrelated game loops and there's never been the slightest indication that they would ever be connected. Best case scenario for powerplay + AX is they add Chase as a new power and his module fucks with AX modules in some way, but other than that he'd act exactly like any other indy.
You'll just buy your AX rifles from Pioneer stores either through the existing upgrade system with special materials, or techbroker style.
>>
>>765531
I interpreted it as the 164.7 MB update was for Live Horizons, and that Legacy gets nothing. Since even after they change the Live & Legacy there will still be the split between Horizons and Odyssey on the respective versions, we know this for certain since they specifically mentioned that Odyssey owners will be given access to Live Horizons in the launcher so they can play with their friends that don't own Odyssey, they'll just have to play on the Horizons version and lock out all Ody content for the session.
>>
>>765538
Horizons 4.0 and Odyssey are literally the same game client so it isn't even possible to give them separate updates. When you log in under Horizons 4.0 it's just the Oddy client with some features locked out.
>>
>AX Missile Racks have had their damage increased.
>AX Weapons have had their description updated.
That's it? Unless those missiles do torpedo-tier damage now, then so much for making AX combat more accessible...
Would have been better served by leaving the damage alone and instead giving the scrubs gimballed variants because honestly that's the real gatekeeper and not the guardian/azimuth grind.
>>
File: innerdickers.jpg (646 KB, 1920x1080)
646 KB
646 KB JPG
The fuck are these imp poofters doing around my station?
>>
>>765585
I checked around, apparently hackers are spawning AXCZ and other various bullshit near stations in open. Advice seems to be to swap to solo so you don't get banned as collateral damage when they hit the hacker.
>>
File: 1516837732561.png (233 KB, 735x633)
233 KB
233 KB PNG
>New content and gameplay for the ongoing Thargoid narrative. Good luck, Commanders!
>We’re being a little bit deliberate with vagueness on this one, Commanders. We’d love you to discover more on this gameplay yourselves on release of the update.
>mfw
So much for reading the patch notes and then deciding if it's worth buying Odyssey for the new content or not.

>Added an optional keybind for the Shutdown Field Neutraliser module.
Nice.

>KEY KNOWN ISSUES:
>Spanish translation of "Thargoid Controlled" mistranslated to "Thargoids under control".
Uh, I never did AX content before now, does 'Thargoid Controlled' appear in anything that already existed? Cus if not it then seems like we're gonna get a tug-of-war going with the Thargoids for control of systems INSIDE the bubble.
>>
I really hope most of the new shit focused on ship-to-ship AX combat. I still really don't care for on-foot combat in this game and my config is too shit to get more than 30 fps in settlements anyway.
>>
>>765609
This is ultimately my biggest issue with elite dangerous.

Its potentially the biggest and greatest sandbox out there, and the developers squander its engine by making it entirely about this so called 'personal narritive'

And then they insult us further by making our 'personal narritive' just non-stop linear grinds to discover that the storyline is going to go one way, no matter how we as pilots or a community act.
>>
>>765617
Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be AX feet activities out in the middle of nowhere between you and exactly one feetgoid with maybe a rock or two so your potato can run it.
>>
>>765625
I mean I can run everything in space decently fine. Even crowded instances back in HIP 22460 AX conflict zones were no problem. Just as I land somewhere, the troubles start. I guess it's an optimization problem because no other game gives me such headaches in this department
>>
>>765609
>Uh, I never did AX content before now, does 'Thargoid Controlled' appear in anything that already existed?
No. You had "Infestation" and "Incursion" system states and systems could show up as being owned by the faction "Thargoids" in the map but nothing specifically used the term "Thargoid Controlled".
I fully expect that fdev is going to reuse human assets for on-foot anti-goid combat and have us fight the people they've been kidnapping all these years as mind controlled slaves, and those two words in the patch notes are about as good as a confirmation for me.
>>
File: consider the following.png (438 KB, 606x468)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
>>765629
Zombie games were the hotness when they were originally writing this storyline, before countless delays pushed us all the way to 2023.
And fdev has never let missing the boat stop them from following through with plagiarism before.
>>
>>765629
>I fully expect that fdev is going to reuse human assets for on-foot anti-goid combat and have us fight the people they've been kidnapping all these years as mind controlled slaves
Ah fuck. That seems much more likely. I was thinking it was a classifier for systems, like saying
>Hyades Sector FB-N b7-6 status: Thargoid Controlled
>>
>>765640
Nah that's already been a thing forever under a system's allegiance status.
>Allegiance: Thargoids
Thargoid controlled sounds like a new settlement or faction state. Like >>765637 you'll land at a settlement and it'll be nothing but green clouds and zombies.
>>
File: patient zero.jpg (602 KB, 1920x1080)
602 KB
602 KB JPG
>>765637
So we already know from past leaks that the new interceptor is going to be the Orthrus and that it's basically a Basilisk in terms of its speed and hearts/toughness, but with some new behavior. A lot of people speculated that it will seed barnacles because the nodules dotted all over its petals look vaguely like tiny barnacles. Me, I bet its job is to zombify human settlements.
>>
>>765654
>interceptor that zombifies humans
>why is it an interceptor then?
>because it's INTERCEPTING YOUR LIFE! HAH!
>>
File: hmm.jpg (826 KB, 1920x1080)
826 KB
826 KB JPG
>>765654
>>
ah, another glorious day of seeing plaggots banned by based autistic SPEAR hotheads
>>
Should I get odyssey?
>>
>>765869
If you love the game, yes
>>
>just bought the game yesterday
>enjoyed it so much I played it for hours
>no update but servers are down and were supposed to be up hours ago
What is going on and should I have bought something else
>>
>>765934
Updating servers takes time. Sometimes more than expected time. No, you won't receive any reimbursements for update running late.
>>
Can anyone get in the game (Odyssey) right now? It's supposedly online but my launcher does nothing.
>>
>>765934
Hope you got it on a substantial sale
>>
>>765973
50% off
>>
>login after update
>the main menu that shows my ship sitting in a hangar is now flashing a red alert in the background
Well okay then.
>>754485
It is now as of update 14. Sirius megaships now have tech brokers that offer them.
>>
>>765956
Nope. I get server connection failed every time I try.
>>
File: purgexenos.jpg (31 KB, 429x500)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>new cinematic with terrible explosion effects shows the goids arriving and settling in on an ammonia world, then going out and fucking up a bunch of stations and ground bases
>galmap opens with a tutorial about how to use the new thargoid war mode that tracks which systems each stargoid is attacking
>affected systems basically have their own AX CGs that are automatically generated
>>765993
Fuck that it's time to PURGE SOME FUCKING XENOS
>>
Carriers are getting force jumped out of affected systems.
>>
There is zero on-foot AX combat whatsoever. Not even against traitor humans. At most hostile thargoid ships jump in after a while like they do in hip 24460, so this is entirely in-space content.
Also you can get interdicted by goids in-system now, not just hyperdicted.
The maelstrom causes caustic so you can't fly inside of it, and there are little bugs floating around inside of it constantly shitting out the caustic gas. So neutralizing them will probably be key to exposing the hive ship at the center so it can be attacked.
>>
There are now "Very" high intensity conflict zones and normally mundane shit like combat aftermath signals are now high threat levels.
>>
I have never done AX combat, I have no AX gear from tech brokers unlocked, I have no AX guardian tech unlocked. What do?
Can I participate in a DBX or do I go get an Alliance Challenger?

Gib AX fitting.
>>
>>766022
You can't fight the goid interdictions at all. They throw you off the escape vector harder than you can turn even in a Vulture.
Systems in which a maelstrom is present have anti-guardian fields that fuck your guardian modules.
You can't approach the core of the maelstrom even if you have a thicc hull. As you get close there's a huge energy pulse that throws you away and causes a short shutdown.
Also the little caustic-shitting crystals act as mines and will fuck your day up if you get close to them.
>>
>>766034
You can fights scouts easily with AX multi turrets. Supposedly the missiles got a damage buff but they're dumbfire only.
>>
>>766042
>guardian modules.
Even non-combat ones?
>>
So I went into a maelstrom and those crystal things can be destroyed and if you pick up their drops like caustic shards or corrosive mechanisms, it shows that they have a use in "caustic sinks"
Also the interceptors inside the maelstrom don't seem to notice you very easily. So even though the cloud is damaging it seems to hide you.
>>766053
Yes, even your booster will get fucked.
>>
>>766064
You can sort of loiter inside the maelstrom if you spam decon limpets, but it spams the shit out of your alerts with caustic detected/caustic removed.
>>
>>766046
Fdev has a weird definition for the word buff. AX missiles are showing as doing 31.3 damage now, when they used to be 64.
>>
>>765874
>£25 for a shitty cod in space
No thanks
>>
>been playing for a while
>just bought ody during the sale
>steam said it downloaded the whole game again
>Elite Dangerous folder is 120GB
Is that right or did it actually download the whole game twice for me?
>>
File: caustic synth.jpg (119 KB, 1080x640)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>766064
The caustic sink synth recipe is even already in the game, so it looks like we're getting a new utility to withstand the gas clouds.
>>
Are there any damaged stations up for rescues, or just the Evaced stations that are Tharg dominated?
>>
>>766101
Nah they're not just hitting and running anymore. They hit the station until it goes completely dark now, so there's nobody to rescue. Stations are either abandoned or they're under attack with goids in the station's instance actively firing on it.
>>
is it worth coming back now? did this update actually give some purpose to the game?
>>
>>766123
Failure to purge xenos actually means losing territory permanently now.
Also there's 8 stargoids in total and just one of them knocked out 29 systems as soon as it arrived.
>>
Is this war thing limited to bubble? Are any engineers affected yet?
>>
Outposts under attack are fairly easy to defend. You can still dock at them for repair/rearm mid-fight.
>>
They're disabling all our guardian modules sometimes, so it'd be safer to build purely human tech AX fits right?
>>
The AX NPCs can even have Salvation weapons now. I just saw one with gauss hammers. They still can't target hearts though but at least they can still carve up scouts and exert interceptors very quickly.
>>766132
Not yet but the no-man's land they're creating around themselves can expand so they could probably impact engineer systems if left unchecked.
>>766134
Being able to dock and repair mid-conflict is absolutely game-changing for the AX noobs. As long as you can avoid getting taken out even a sloppy pilot can eventually take down a hydra.
>>766142
That only happens in the actual system the maelstrom is in, and in HIP 22460. Your guardian gear is still fine everywhere else and way better than human AX tech.
We can't currently do anything other than try to research the maelstrom in its own system anyway. Fighting there doesn't contribute to any goals.
>>
>>766146
Limpets strangely don't die inside the maelstrom even though it's caustic, so I'm just cruising around with a decontamination limpet perma attached and popping caustic crystals with AX multis to load up on mats for caustic sinks once they're available.
>>
Do Thargoids use shutdown fields during regular combat or just during intercepts?
>>
>>766209
They'll use it combat when they're on their second to last heart, and in the case of AXCZs one of them will also use it at the start of each interceptor wave.
Now that we have a dedicated keybind for the neutralizer there should be no more excuses for not getting to it in time.
>>
>>766211
Do people actually make use of the fact that it produces a bubble and protects everyone in the bubble from the shutdown or is everyone expected to have their own?
>>
>>766216
Some people do but it's way more reliable to have your own. If you don't make it into range of someone else in time or they don't get it charged far enough to cover you before the wave hits then you're a sitting duck.
>>
>>766005
>new cinematic with terrible explosion effects
This part really baffles me. They could have literally just used the in-game explosion vfx.
>>
>>766042
>You can't approach the core of the maelstrom even if you have a thicc hull. As you get close there's a huge energy pulse that throws you away and causes a short shutdown.
A neutralizer prevents the shutdown but you still get thrown almost right back out of the cloud.
>>
>have mbooni permit
>currently grabbing all the BP fragments I need to unlock guardian AX gear
Should I permanently unlock the regular versions or just grab several of the pre-engineered ones?
>>
>>765985
>Sirius megaships now have tech brokers that offer them.
That galnet article was fake news. No tech brokers on any of the Sirius megaships I've checked.
>>766306
Perma unlock gauss but buy pre-engineered shards and chargers.
Reason being the pre-engineered gauss just spreads its damage out into a 4-round burst so you compromise the pinpoint accuracy you depend on with gauss for no benefit.
On the other hand the regular shards/chargers are garbage and only the pre-engineered versions are of any use.
Also unlock guardian module reinforcements since they're a straight upgrade over standard if you have enough power.
>>
I'm having to relog every time I get a weapon BP fragment. The pylons will light up but won't actually count as charged if I don't. It's making it really slow, is there a faster way to do this? I saw a group here right before I got started, is doing this as a group actually faster since you can have 1 person sit on each pylon?
>>
Everyone's hating on the trailer VFX quality and I'm over here malding over the fact that they're never depicted as using their swarms or missiles. Instead somehow a Krait shown at 100% strength gets popped seconds later by a burst of normal interceptor cannon fire.
>>
>>766312
You have to relog to reset the instance.
Also groups are faster only if you're coordinated. Only one person can scan the orb so you have to reset as many times as you have people, but a coordinated group can efficiently activate all the pylons and make very short work of sentinels.
>>
Check out the Exobiology buff and it is huge. Stuff that used to pay out like 100K now pay 20 million. Given Exo just needs an OK ship and an artemis suit its really good money. It's still a low enough activity I think its in balance with mining/combat payout. Feels like a great step for exploring by incentivizing actually landing on a planet and having a chance at seeing more sites vs a DSS drive by. I found a chain of moons with 5-6 signs each could prob take me to Elite.
>>
>>766547
Before the buff only reason for actually scanning shit past novelty phase was the love of cataloguing. It's still not "road to riches" because it's just so tedious and time-consuming.
>>
>>766612
I got into Elite through explorers but I was the only one going out of my way to see bark mounds. I only tried Exo last month and got 45 mil chasing the 'high' cost ones but that was 2 weeks of involved hovering and SRV. This kind of pay out seems really high but really puts it in-line with other money makers.
>>
>>766547
There's a display error with the payouts and the amount you actually get is around half what's shown. It's still a big boost, but bear in mind how slow and tedious it is to find & scan exobio compared to any other income source.
>>
>>766547
>>766747
They haven't adjusted the rank gain rate down to compensate for the increased pay so go get your exobio Elite while you can.
>>
>>767955
I doubt they will mess with that side. They'll fix up the bug in whatever direction (either fix the given amount presented from the sale, or match the cost to mirror the actual store). If you look at Inara rankings Exobio is usually miles behind in rank for almost everyone.
>>
>>767965
They're 100% going to reduce how fast you gain exobio rank. Right now you can hit Elite from like 8 planets with a decent number of lifeforms. That's not near grindy enough for fdev.
>>
>>767969
Something similar happened when exploration got its major pay buff way back. A few days later they nerfed the rank gain on it because everyone was hitting elite.
>>
I just found and killed an Orthrus, and it was surprisingly easy. They don't have hearts and seem about as tough as a basilisk in terms of how much health gets chipped off per hit. Not only that but the kill is worth 50mil.
Behavior:
It jumps into the instance alone and as long as it doesn't detect you it will shit out some probes before leaving.
It enters instance with shields up and they start decaying like normal.
It is unarmed. No swarm or even a main cannon. Presumably this and the lack of hearts was so they could pack it full of probes.
It leaves a caustic wake behind it as it moves which will give you the caustic dot if you touch it.
If it detects you it will call a bunch of scouts and make a run for it.
If you attack, it retaliates with a combination shutdown / anti-guardian wave and then tries to escape.
You can neutralize the shutdown but your guardian equipment will still rapidly break. You have just enough time to alpha the Orthrus down with salvation weapons or maybe standard shards.
Probably more sustainable to go after them with a missile boat loaded with AX and synthed advanced missile racks.
>>
>had my first encounter with a Thargoid yesterday
>hyperdicted while carrying sensors (was collecting sensor fragments to unlock Palin and figured why not sell some)
>successfully used my shutdown neutralizer and outran it till I could jump again
That was cool.
>>
So if I don't give a shit about all this thargoid bullshit, should I just not play for a while?
>>
>>768435
Unless you go into warzones deliberately, Targoids will at most hyperdict you occasionally. Depending on how the war goes, some engineers or rares might become unavailable, but that's usual.
If you live in Colonia or explore far out in the black, you've got nothing to fear, your whole gameplay remains unchanged.
>>
>>768393
>literally ganking orthruses
Don't forget to destroy and probes it drops too.
>>
How much damage does it take to down an Orthrus and how quick are the reinforcements once you engage?
Considering making an interceptor fit and need to know the minimum burst I need.

Plan is long-jump range with good fuel economy and high burst, don't care about survivability cus they're unarmed. Go from system to system hunting Orthruses, ignoring the others.
Right now I'm considering a DBX or DBS for their fuel economy, but I don't know if they can fit enough alpha damage to burst one before backup arrives.

The AX initiative wiki only talks about DPS, not burst.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.