[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 65 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: barobirthday2022.png (1.03 MB, 1920x1080)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
Barotrauma, a SS13 esque game where a crew of retards try to survive in a submarine (they usually don't).

Today is its 3rd steam anniversary, and comes with a bunch of QoL fixes and updates. Still no campaign ending apart from vague promises that they're 'working on it'.
>Update log:
https://barotraumagame.com/announcements/3rd-steam-anniversary-and-birthday-update/

I was the server host for a while for the /vm/ campaign, and while I don't think I'm going to run the campaign again before they finally get around to the Grand Finale, where we hopefully kick C'thulhu in the dick and take his shit, I do want to gauge interest in the occasional one off session where we all just fuck around for an hour or two a week.

>Last(?) thread:
https://arch.b4k.co/vm/thread/480239/#597562
>>
No one cares, hun.
>>
>>658769
I care.
>>
>>658749
based
>>658769
kys faggot
>>
The game is cool but I would never subject myself to playing with randoms on the internet.
If you don't have a group of 3-4 equaly autistic friends I would pass on the game
>>
I miss the alpha.
Playing on the shitty 4chan servers, trying to pilot a barely working box of guns and wires to its destination while half of the crew's objective was to grief the server to oblivion was crazy fun
>>
Nice, I'm just powering through a solo campaign with bots. I'd love to play with you fags. Dibs on security officer/captain/mechanic
>>
id be down for a one off campaign if anyone runs one and needs a player my steam fren code

>>
I'm kinda fine with just waiting until the big update desu.
>>
>>659659
when I used to play, I would look for small lobbies at night. 4-8 player subs at most, makes it easy for host to keep a leash on things. the games were usually nice and bullshit gets filtered quickly if the host is looking to enjoy the game. would usually end up being a recurring thing despite being someone that doesn't talk much.
>>
Why yes, my sub is perfect. Thanks for asking.
>>
I want to play singleplayer, how good is the AI? If they can be assigned roles like pilot and shit, does that mean i could just play doctor while the Ai drives the sub around?
>>
>>661719
Lol no, there is an autopilot function but the Friendly AI is fairly incompetent. As for playing doctor from what I remember from when I played, most injuries happened from players doing stupid shit but still being smart enough to survive the situation, AI tend to either be fine or not make it back.

>>659659
Last time we played here on /vm/ we had a fairly competent crew that regularly came back to play, outside of the very first day where we had one or two guys try to grief the sub but after that there was no real crew on crew bullshit.
>>
>>661858
>but the Friendly AI is fairly incompetent.
will it ever be good? Have the devs talked about it?
>>
>>661860
I think they mentioned a few path finding bug fixes in the latest patch, but I'm fairly sure this is a 'multiplayer minded' game. I have heard of people doing single player and enjoying themselves just fine, but I personally get bored a couple minuets in and quit.

Also if you haven't bought yet wait till its on sale for 15 USD or less, I played $30 for it and regret it, though the game is fun.
>>
>>661719
In singleplayer you pretty much just have to play captain. Technically you can be any class you want but still have to navigate the submarine.
>>
>that immediate post-mission thing when engi has to quickly dump materials, pass by flailing honking assistant and dancing captain to stare at his guitar playing mechanic buddy
>>
I have found this game and it seems interesting. Should i buy it now or wait it to go for sale?
>>
>be fucking around in the sub editor for ages
>still can't get some of the wiring shit figured out properly
>everytime I ask someone, it's just "use/copy the pre-made stuff bro"
>suddenly the update comes
>"documentation has been improved"
>alright, finally, some information about this shit
>documentation now just tells you to use/copy pre-made stuff
Why the fuck even bother to put effort into the documentation if your documentation doesn't actually explain a single fucking anything? The majority of the guides the devs themselves will point you to are community made since these lazy cunts can't be bothered to explain the tools they make. I still can't figure out how they can't seem to create better AI in a fucking 2D universe. They even require you to generate waypoints for your custom subs, and the AI still can't navigate with a fucking waypoint system worth a damn. How in the fuck?
This game is an excellent idea, poorly executed, and terribly managed by the dev team. I regret buying this game at $30, I should have waited for a sale. Or until it's actually finished. If they ever manage to do so.

>>659659
This here. Never ever. Community is AIDS incarnate and treat the entire game like a variant of Among Us, and constantly scream that someone is "sus" and screams for them to be kicked. Literally stand in front of a captain and weld closed some holes in the hull caused by sea monsters, he'll scream you're sus and kick you. Every fucking game with randoms is like that.
>>
>>662174
you can get it on g2a for 7 dollars or fanatical with another game for the same price
>>
>tfw still haven't finished my Cube inspired "sub"
Just want to throw some randos in the clusterfuck of moving rooms every now and then
>>
>>662326
What wiring are you trying to do? I can... try to help?
>>
>>662707
Will each room have deadly traps?
>>
>>663110
I imagined it to be more of a working sub, but with moving rooms to disorient players, bscause you can't really do a lot of traps in the game. Besides autoturrets, flooding the room, starting a fire what else can be done really? Also it's 3x3 instead of 5x5 like I wanted at first, maybe I'll post a webm latee to at least show how it looks
>>
>>663302
Discharge coil in the room
Armed explosives
Magnesium not in waterproof storage
Overloading reactor
Rad poisoning from unstable fuel rods
>>
>>663314
magnesium is a flood with explosives, reactor is fire and unstable rods always emit radiation. Some traps are either one time use or completely unavoidable which is not always great. It'd work in a obstacle course map, not on a sub.
>>
>>663334
How about this: replace part of the solid floor with a hatch+motion sensor. Decorations and labels can hide it, kind of, but goes without saying that good use of dark is best. Disguise it as a service area or something, make the rest of the floor a bit uneven, put it over a tall room and there you go. One hatch can be sprinted over, but that might be what you're looking for. Two or more "linked" hatches is better for catching folk, but harder to avoid.

Anyway, most wiring traps can be put on a counter or timer so it only activates every now and then. Helps add that extra layer of paranoia.
>>
>>663337
I've seen hatch traps used on deathrun type map, again I have moving rooms in here and those have to be at the bottom for that kind of thing to work.
My room rotation is very simple in concept but it doesn't even work properly, that's the main issue.
Best way to make what we're talking about work, is making a huge station where all rooms are similar and divided into clusters with moving rooms acting as simple left-right/up-down elevators.
I don't think making something like from actual movie with proper math can work because rooms disappear into the void in there if I'm not wrong
>>
>>663344
>I have moving rooms in here and those have to be at the bottom for that kind of thing to work.
Okay, I'm not sure, but are you suggesting a 3x3 orientated cube wouldn't have at least 6 modestly elevated places where drops would be possible? If a room with such a trap is at one of the bottom 3 locations you can just... you know, turn it off. Not like it HAS to be a painful drop, or one that ejects the guy out an airlock. Don't have to use It or any traps in the first place, but there it is.

Got a simple plan handy? like, an mspaint drawing or something?
Off the top of my head with minimal information, if you've got a 3x3 cube that's full, which is to say packed with 9 rooms, you're probably getting problems with intersecting hulls. In that case, having 8 (or fewer) rooms could give wiggle room, like with a 15 puzzle.
>>
File: Barotrauma Cube.webm (2.9 MB, 960x540)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB WEBM
>>663379
Here's what I have.
Now game even gives me console errors because corner parts are not connected to main "sub" I think. Those parts just swimming away is part of the main problem, brainlet part of me gave up on finding a solution. Extra layer is for ballast, most vital things are hidden, unbreakable and immune to EMP.
At its best at least some rooms were disconnecting and moving correctly and when everything was connected you got good speed out of it.
>>
File: 20220720182456_1.jpg (277 KB, 1920x1080)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>663446
Closer look at insanity
>>
>>663446
>>663447
>Now game even gives me console errors because corner parts are not connected to main "sub" I think.
That'd certainly cause a console error, yeah. You might be able to fix it with nested links. It might hurt clarity a bit, but in the blueprints, move the corner rooms so instead of everything being a shuttle of the main room, rooms 1, 3, 7, and 9 are linked shuttles of a vertical or horizontal room, that is itself linked to main. It works for me (in more limited capacities), but it does feel like playing with fire.

As for flying off, it's hard to tell but there are a few things that could be happening. Is it "mirrored" correctly? You've got the -1 in there, but maybe it's getting confused or something. Assuming the propulsion otherwise works, but is the energy (in time or whatever) spent returning the same as going out? if so, you might need to almost double how much energy it spends returning. Everything's gotta fight the outgoing momentum first in order to make the return trip.
If you think the logic is suspect, could you link the outputs to a grid of labeled test boxes and component lights? Don't have to post it if you don't want, but it makes visualizing what's going through its head a lot easier.
I'll suggest only because it catches me EVERY FUCKING TIME, and is TOTALLY not a complaint in disguise, but make sure the logic components return the right values on false. Every logic component returns Null by default, when a 0 is better in almost every case I've ever done.
>>
I remember when this first came out and the dev was shilling it on /v/. Hard to believe that was 3 years ago.
>>
>>663859
I haven't touched it in a long time anyway because wiring everything and testing is a pain in the ass and takes too much time, it's been probably more than 2 months since last time I tried to do something with it. I'll try picking it up after next week, got plenty of time there.
>>
OP here, shocked that this thread is still alive.
On the other hand, /vm/ is very, very slow.
Either way, anyone up for fucking around in a sub on Saturday?
>>
I just read the last two change logs, the devs are really, REALLY out of touch with the community. It definitely started with making baro "realistic" as opposed to being what it was originally intended to be a ss13 copy, oh and trannies they ruin every community as always
>>
it is fun if the server isnt hosted by a faggot and captain decides to take risks despite the rewards
i mean i die most of the time because some big rape fish crashes the sub either way
>>
>>664454
Sub? Mods?
>>
>>664543
Im open to sugestions
>>
>>664692
ITA, Neurotrauma, Huskmod, maybe some EK.
>>
>>664454
what time?
>>
>>665039
Lets say...5pm EST. Sound good?
>>
>>665201
sure, anyone else joining?
>>
>>665203
No idea, but even if its just use two we can just take a small sub.
>>
>>662760
I appreciate the offer, but I haven't fucked with it in months, and I really don't have a lot of time to get back into that stuff right now. But if you are interested in knowing what I was doing:

Massive sub with four drones and two docks, one on top and one on bottom. Was supposed to be a PvP oriented sub with a lot of different angles you could enter/exit. Despite having the docking hatches wired up as directed, the drones would never recharge their batteries on dock. I thought I understood junction boxes, but no matter how I wired things, running the engine would blow out every junction is was connected to. The ballast pumps worked fine and were barely a blip on the reactor's output. I even modified the boxes that were blowing to have higher capabilities, and the engine to consume less power, and it still kept shitting out. While the top dock could dock with another sub or docking port and pull power from there or give power out if the other dock was wired up, the bottom dock wouldn't despite being wired in the exact same way.
At the very least, I got the drones working great(if not charging). High speed, quick depth changing, separate radar, oxygen generation, and a man-able gun. Small, compact, and able to keep a 1-3 man crew alive without suits.
>>
>>665201
>>665203
Might be a little later, family is dragging their feet on something
>>
>>665539
I'm ready whenever
>>
>>665566
Its will be up in a few minuets, hope your still around
>>
>>665566
>>665638
Ok its up, Server name is "/vm/'s day off"
Password is HP Lovecraft's cat's name
>>
>>665639
>search for "vm" or "day off"
>no servers found
>>
>>665639
>>665706
I think we missed it
>>
>>665706
>>665707
Yeah sorry guys. Family shit dragged on an by the time I finally showed up for the server I was already 2 hours behind schedule, waited an hour with no one showing up (not any of your faults) and then fycked of to do something else.
>>
>>665771
np, hopefully we get to play some other time
>>
>>665639
Is this the de facto name and pass for vm's server? I wouldn't mind hosting if you can stomach SEA/Aussie connection from time to time.
Also, you guys use mic or just use guts in communicating?
>>
>>665805
Dont think its the default one, its just the one I always use. Name your server whatever you want.
>>
>>666122
Aight noted, I'll check if you're hosting first before trying to host meself. See you next weekend then anon
>>
>>665639
Missed it but would love to join
If you wanna give it another shot this weekend do it
>>
>>665805
I have no mic so I regularly get kicked from public servers. I only really get to play with 4channers. Everyone says I'm a decent repairman, and I harvest everything of even small value from every beacon outpost and respawn shuttle. It's always fun sailing with you guys after the trolls fuck off.
>>
Nice, I was actually wondering recently if the Barotrauma threads could make a comeback. I know they sorta petered out after we got to R'lyeh and nobody was sure what to do about mods and such. I'll try to keep an ear out, especially since this timing >>665639 fits perfectly into a gap in my Saturday games
>>
>>662326
the AI is kind of a mess technically, like it's just a bunch of behavior trees that have grown way past their manageable sizes so it breaks every time anyone changes something about it
>>
Game is pretty cheap on kinguin, but are we playing this anytime soon?
>>
File: test sub.jpg (3.06 MB, 5552x4797)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
I've been making a sub and really need advice. My sub is to have a static railgun always pointing forward and that could be fired from the navigation terminal, the problem is that I can't decide on a design. These are 3 versions I made as a test (ignore the wires), does anyone have any advice on how to make it look "good"?
>>
>>667294
Do bottom one
>>
>>667098
check back on the weekend
>>
>>667098
Sorry I'm >>667665, shoulda make it clear I'm planning to host on the weekend, SEA timezone though
>>
OP here, genuinely shocked at how much interest there still is for Barotrauma Shenanigans, guess we will be meeting this Saturday. I'll leave hosting up to our resident SEAmonkey this time, and if he cant do it I'll act as a back up host.
>>
>>667294
I'd say the first one looks best. Something about it looking like a spaceship really ties things together with a stationary gun, but I guess the bottom would be better if you want it to feel like a torpedo system
>>
>>661719
AI can get you to your destination, but only a player can dock the sub at the port
>>
File: test.png (3.61 MB, 3739x1123)
3.61 MB
3.61 MB PNG
>>667322
I thought about doing that, but then I noticed a lot of shadow and light glitches, and I felt lazy to fix it.
>>667800
In the end I decided to leave it as it was originally and hide the railgun. I still need to finish some details, but it's pretty much finished.
>>
>>667294
Top two are sexiest
>>
>>667294
Bottom one.
>>
So when are we playing today?
>>
>>670251
I'm not the host, but I can sometime past 7PM EST
>>
So how did the game go last night guys?
You DID play with each other, right?

Or am I going to be the perpetual host again?
>>
BARSUKBROS WW@????
>>
>>667294
top has a clunky feel to it, whilst bottom is more "refined"

do clean up the wires though
>>
Given you can use gene splicing to get all the benefits of husk infestation without dying, wouldn't that make the Church of the Husk right all along? They're just retarded about becoming a mindless parasite too when by the laws of the game itself you can get the best of both worlds.
>>
>>672673
>all the benefits of husk infestation
why would you want to though?
>>
>>673746
not exploding because you're at 5000m depth and don't have a suit on is pretty nice
>>
>>673746
Pros:
>heal self through attacking foes
>pressure immunity
>breathe underwater
Cons:
>funny little guy in your throat
>>
>>672673
Well you do become completely unable to talk, and most people will stay out of the crush depths where being pressure immune is especially useful. From a thematic standpoint, you're basically stepping into a life outside of normal society and devoting yourself entirely to the depths, and I imagine that would be reason for people to give Huskies weird looks even if they tried to get around the speaking issue. Plus if you want to go back, the story surrounding the game says you constantly have to take Calyxanide, and if the gameplay is true to anything, you're dependent on the gene splicer to not instantly husk out and kill everyone.

I think that's the reason why the Church of Husk persists despite the middle ground, since they sell the whole "fug the world, join the hivemind communion of this moon and your new brothers" angle to assuage the dropping-out-of-society concerns
>>
>>674518
>the game says you constantly have to take Calyxanide
Is it true?
>>
File: youdontsay.jpg (6 KB, 276x149)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
Why is the game so unplayably laggy now, anything I can do to reduce it?
I played through a campaign with friends a year ago and it was smooth 60 fps the whole time, we started a new campaign a few days ago and most of the time it's literally unplayable, FPS dips to single digits and the game doesn't register any inputs. I'm the captain so me being unable to use sonar or steer the ship for 30-120 seconds at a time due to lag eatin all my inputs is bullshit and total ass.
What the fuck have they done to the game with the last updates to make it run so bad?
>>
>only one with functional weapon and ammo
>kill all the crawlers on board, set up the beacon
>get a ton of loot and go to store it
>kill saboteur on the way (captain said to)
>get space herpes immediately
>get knocked out
>captain takes a look at my inventory and all the loot from the beacons
>get banned immediately for "stealing supplies"
>>
>>674942
I don't understand why people leave all those oxygen canisters behind at the beacon stations, or all the supplies on respawn shuttles. Every time I loot and bring back the goods, I always hear people asking "Where did all this stuff come from?" I don't get it man.
>>
>>658749
Anyone hosting?
>>
>>674967
So fun to respawn in the shuttle on public server with sonars, no batteries and no spare oxygen.
>>
my experience so far of servers
THE SHIP AUTIST
>pretty chill
>custom sub
>knows game inside and out and will help you learn the game
>suspicious of new players until they've proven not to be retarded
>will sentence you to death for ANY tinkering with ship (even light values)
THE SPERGLORD
>cannot leave port without somehow fucking up the mission
>impossible to tell if he's trolling the crew or if the crew is trolling him
>aggressive use of admin commands
>will kill passengers, crew, himself and the sub
>will misspell and misspeak
>have yet to see him kill an enemy
THE GUY WHO MEANT TO SET THE GAME TO PRIVATE BUT ACCIDENTLY LEFT IT OPEN
>sets it to 4-5 players instead of a dozen
>just run the ship themselves and ignore you
>kicks you after 1 mission
CAPTAIN WHO SOMEHOW KNOWS LESS THAN YOU
>"what's that beeping noise" *passes out*
>somehow makes 4 crawlers attacking the ship feel like the apocalypse
>nice guy though
>>
I’m new what’s the most helpful thing I can be doing besides running around with a wrench and screwdriver fixing everything
>>
You faggots run modded server or not? Most I like it Ek, and then a few shitpost mods.
>>
Also depending on interest I could do some hosting.
>>
>>675171
Im interested, but can't today if you are willing to set a date/time that would be GREAT.
>>
>>675171
i'm interested, i have a weird schedule tho
>>
>>675130
Here's mine.
THE PISS OFF WE'RE FULL
>standard sub
>group of friends playing
>sitting around waiting for the last guy to join
>can't be bothered to set server to friends only or password it
>instead just kicks you after 2 minutes of sitting in silence after you say hello
THE AMONGUS FANS
>standard sub
>packed to the brim with all the loot they have
>someone says "ANON IS BEING SUS!" seconds after joining while trying to figure out where to store excess junk
>get kicked before you can even respond
THE GUY WHO WANTS TO PVP BUT DOESN'T WANT ANYONE SHOOTING BACK
>some custom sub
>admin is sitting at the spawn area with weapons and guns down everyone who joins
>spawn as security and enter sub with weapon ready to go
>get kicked by server owner(reason:fuk u)
THE LOL I TROLL U
>standard sub
>doing mild repairs, pretty quiet
>someone joins, grabs welder and runs for reactor room
>welds self in, sets reactor to overload with max fuel load
>sits at only door in welding to try and slow down people cutting in
>starts attacking people once they get in
>gets killed, reactor is brought back down, bunch of junction boxes need fixing, guy gets kicked
>server owner gets bored and shuts down server without warning
Only time it wasn't one of the first 3 was playing with /vm/. Tired of the 4th. Is it really that hard to replace the oxygen in shuttle/drone diving suits with more fun gases?
>>
>>675175
>>675176
Oh,it would have been like, tonight.
>>
>>675171
Im intrested
>>
>people want to play
>but they don't want to host
why don't you guys just pick a server that's already running and jump in together?
>>
barotraumabros on page 9... we're at crush depth...
>>
Did some 2v2 barsuk pvp last night. fucking intense, especially when a bone thresher shows up in the heat of the battle
>>
>>677247
Then repair the fucking leaks!
>>
>server has a bot that repairs things at the very first sign of damage
I fucking hate this.
>>
>pvp
Help me /vm/, I need your advice on PvP sub building. I wanna build a good sub for PvP specifically, but I don't play the game enough to know all the little details by heart.
What would you say makes for more fun PvP action, sub on sub combat or person on person combat?
Is it worthwhile to have a complicated sub where people can do some serious wire fuckery, or are simple and mostly automated subs the way to go?
Single entry-point or multiple ways into a sub?
What weapons make for good sub combat? What weapons are bad for sub combat?
What weapons are good for person on person combat inside? What weapons would you not want people to have in combat regardless of which side they were on?
How common is docking/boarding between subs? Or is it all just people shooting the other side and fixing leaks?
Large and heavily armed subs or small and lightly armed?
>>
>>677465
I personally like ship to ship fights because it engages the whole crew together. However, I think you should design PvP ships to make boarding actions an inevitability.
>largely automated
More logic control units should be used to allow crew to focus on PvP, but also these units should have key vulnerabilities (disconnecting the relays, etc) that are highly visible to would-be hackers and will need to be protected.
>multiple entries
Even PvE subs should have at least a top and bottom airlock. Use doors instead of hatches to make both defense and invasion easier.
>weapons
Explosives and flamers are the obvious extreme close quarters weapons. Explosives at least can be given in an extremely small quantity to be rationed out, but flamers run off of the most common ammo - welding fuel - so probably don't include them at all. Most combat should be done with Revolvers and Shotguns, since the limited magazines and low rates of fire create openings that either team can press. Maybe mix things up with a single alien weapon per crew just to make things scary.

Nuclear weapons should be allowed as they're one of the few things that can permanently down a sub, creating an opportunity to board. Most turrets can't perforate a hull faster than it can be welded unless you intelligently focus fire. That said, manually docking is not really common since everything is moving too fast.

>sub size
Medium size subs with heavy armaments so they can reliably down each other, but indoor fighting becomes a complex engagement since the defenders can have an advantage with the layout and fancy indoor defense systems.
>>
>>677713
How do you feel about the main sub being more of a dock/mothership that can't really move manually? As in no engine, and ballast pumps are controlled automatically by components. The sub would have a number of small drones that could crew 2-4 people for drone to drone engagements and boarding.
>>
>>677752
That sounds like an interesting concept. Makes PvP more of an attack/defense kind of deal with a large base. Ballasts and their controls will be key targets that you can space throughout the interior as objectives for the attacking team.
>>
>ban anyone without a mic
>ban anyone from Russia
>ban anyone from China
you have now removed 95% of people who fuck with wiring and attempt reactor meltdowns
>>
>>677778
Ever since I started banning people without a mic the stressful job of manual reactor manager has disappeared take his advice
>>
>>677778
>>677793
At least have the decency to put "Mic required" in your server name or description. I'm mute and rarely get to play online since people usually kick me when I don't respond to a question with voice. Typing a response seems to do nothing.
>>
>>677983
become a host and kick anyone who uses a mic
>>
>>677713
>Nuclear weapons should be allowed as they're one of the few things that can permanently down a sub, creating an opportunity to board. Most turrets can't perforate a hull faster than it can be welded unless you intelligently focus fire. That said, manually docking is not really common since everything is moving too fast.
To follow up on this and
>>677752
Would you rather have people manning drones/shuttles that are armed or unarmed? If armed, what sort of turrets should they have? I'm thinking that arming a bunch of shuttles with railguns and nuclear shells would just lead to people one-shotting each other before either side could invade. If the guns outside of nukes are of no use against anything that isn't swimming, then I might as well just go for basic coilguns and leave them as a way of dealing with people trying to sneak in by swimming or using a scooter. Either way, leaving the main sub unarmed or lightly armed seems to be the best way to avoid a stalemate.
>>
>>678248
You really have to consider making combat asymmetrical for this to work, I think. The attackers need to focus on boarding the defending sub, and the defending sub specifically has to worry about downing attacking subs before they get close enough to board. Giving them different armaments for these purposes should work, as railguns are much better at blowing holes in armored hulls. You may not even need to use nukes, as regular grenades and explosive compounds might be able to do the trick.
>>
>>678333
The only way I see it working is if I have only four railguns on the main sub, but multiple docking locations on each side, and the railguns are limited in range so once a shuttle gets close enough they can dock without any harassment from the railguns. Of course, shuttle engines will need to be carefully tweaked to make them fast enough to be a threat but not so fast that landing a railgun shot is more luck than anything else.
Do you think the shuttles themselves should have railguns?
>>
>>678461
Maybe just one per shuttle, especially if you plan on having a large player count and multiple shuttles on one or both sides.

Railguns aren't the only threat against attacking subs, you could use remote-control drones as guided mines or missiles with motion-triggered depth charges.
>>
>>678463
>you could use remote-control drones as guided mines
The only problem with remote-control drones is it removes all danger for the users, ensuring every match would have everyone running for the drone controls and trying to do as much damage as possible with them before even turning to the shuttles. I'm hoping for more of a mixture of playstyles, with some people heading for the shuttles to go for invasion, and others going for the turrets and docking points to defend.
>missiles with motion-triggered depth charges
I'm not even certain how I would setup a missile launcher that would function.
>>
File: 1652392618235.png (364 KB, 528x528)
364 KB
364 KB PNG
are there any mods that replace the newer recipes for crafting? ever since that we couldnt get used to the changes and just stopped playing
>>
I played 0$ version with my good pal Igor for the past few months, I'm seriously considering buying the game out of respect so are mods on the workshop good? I want some new creatures and better outposts/more depth (ha) to shallow mechanics like turrets and alike, will i find it in gabenshop?
>>
>>675437
Pretty much every /vm/ thread, it seems. It's kinda crazy how prominent of an issue it is even with games that don't require port forwarding. I can start doing it, but my excuse is that it'll be laggy as fug, but I'll fukken do it if people aint gonna host otherwise.
>>
>>680396
There's a metric buttload of outposts and submarines. If you can be happy with that, it's what most of the workshop is.
If you want to count missions as added depth, there's a good number in there. Haven't looked at them much, myself. On that note, there's plenty of new items, like weapons, tools, containers and so on.
As far as I can tell, there are creatures that aren't just reskins, but not many. Creature creation is hard.
I haven't seen anyone put up actually new turrets or intractable objects, most of the stuff I find is just wiring blueprints or interface changes or whatever. I could have missed something.
>>
File: ielpdo6rlnw81.png (526 KB, 734x754)
526 KB
526 KB PNG
>>681507
I'm having my eyes on Barotraumatic, it might be worth updating to the capitalist version just for the sake of expanded creature spawns, then will follow the weapon mods (i've seen miniguns and rifles) and maybe ill go get some expanded character creation because of fucking hell why not.
>>
>>681701
Wait for a sale, 30 freedumb bucks this game aint worth.
>>
bet you all use the chumpback and don't leave the sub you filthy sardines, I'd swap your suit oxygen for piss jugs and shit in your ballast tank
>>
>>681890
Tycoom 2 4life mufugga
them abbys figgas won't even know what rammed into them untill they see me rolling out of my sub with my trusty Handkannun
>>
>>681890
>ever not leaving the sub
I need those sweet sweet organs and i dont care how many assistants have to die to get them!
>>
>join a orca 2, 4 players already in lobby
>immediately have to save reactor with fire extinguisher after engineer shoves 4 rods in
>husked crawlers break in a room with no sonar callout from cap
>everyone runs to melee them with no suit
>ballast flora in main pump
>everyone dies to friendly fire with the welder tool and I have to c4 it
>just me and the captain left, notice he hasn’t talked all round
>he has been afk on autopilot all round

How do we teach new players to not be the worst
>>
>>675130
>CAPTAIN WHO SOMEHOW KNOWS LESS THAN YOU
New players almost always pick captain

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.