[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 118 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (1.85 MB, 3648x2736)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
Are the fps in FPS good yet? edition
>>
>>396016
I seriously cannot be bothered with the on foot shit anymore. Engineering has been utterly ruined by the terrain changes. No more farming polonium for cross trading, all the hot spots have been destroyed.
At this point I can only bring myself to occasionally log in and farm haz res in my corvette for 20 minutes before getting bored and playing something else.
>>
>>396104
Try pirating, npc first, player later, it's still cool no matter what the dads cry (muh forcing players into solo, as if those fucks would ever visit open)
>>
>>396016
>Are the fps in FPS good yet?
no
/thread
>>
>>396016
multiplayer in this game was a mistake, as was the FSD-system for interstellar travel.

just leads to a very boring game that demands relatively high amounts of attention to watch a ship approach a station.

thargoids and guardians are dead ends, boring, pointless, there's simply not much they can actually do with them, and as far as humanity is concerned the factions barely fucking exist as anything meaningful.
>>
>>396197
nah, the isinona gameplay videos are still working, you can track someone from his station of start to the end in the bubble no prob, you can also jump on him once you know where he usually comes, the only problem is the only pvp gameplay people know about is camping CGs
>>
>>396016
Elite will always be podcast game, because the devs will never get it together and flesh out immersion in the game. It's a shame since the skeleton of a great game is there its just cucked by greedy bong investors
>>
>>396239
>immersion in the game
that's the only thing it has, you are that bloody sidewinder you start in, not sure how it is now in fps, but in VR you are immersed in being a nobody, that's the only thing this game has got going for it
>>
>>396245
no, it's really bad at the immersion at a deeper level,

the module system, the weapons, the factions, etc. none of it makes sense at any deeper level and there's clearly been no thought into the world or "why" things are the way they are in it.

I mean
>>
>>396278
There's deeper lore in the books, but I haven't read them and probably won't. Honestly I just wish we had ship interiors at this point. I'd love to see them justify how a ship as huge as a Cutter, Corvette, or Type 9 can function with no crew but the pilot.
>>
>>396715
But that would require actual effort and they'd have to explain how ships like the python can somehow carry more cargo than a dedicated cargo ship that has more space for said cargo or why a size 8 slot can't have multiple smaller internals in it. I feel like a lot of the problems have to do with it being mutliplayer and having to balance, not that the balance is good mind you, around that. I just want mod tools and offline but then that might effect their arx shit.
>>
>tfw 30 hours in and still harmless
i just keep doing dumb courier/delivery tasks back to back
only recently i discovered that you can disable auto dock/launch
i mean, i'm having fun but it feels wrong to be this much stuck in the same newbie territory
>>
>approach a station
>hear "pepe papa romeo zulu"
what the fuck does that mean?
>>
>>398184
>prz
you tell us.
flight operator calls your ship ID's three first characters whenever you approach a big station.
>>
>>398367
Thanks, it confused me for a good while.
>>
>>398172
Welcome to the grind
>>
>>396135
Actual pirating, as in holding up people to take their shit and clap them if they give you lip instead, has been irrecoverably mixed up with brainless ganking, and neither the dads nor the gankers are interested in the difference so everyone else gets to eat their shit.

>>398367
They say the manufacturer name and then the letters, and for some reason some times say "heavy" at the end if you're in a barge class ship. There's a setting for making them say the first three letters of your pilot name instead.
>>
>16 replies in 7 days
Dead game
>>
>>399790
>>
>>396016
getting 80-100 fps throughout odyssey
feels good desu
anybody want to make a squadron or know a good squadron to join? getting bored just playing alone
>>
>>398172
your main viewable rank 'harmless' isn't going to budge without doing combat, and being successful at it (not financially, kills * killed NPC rank).

If you want to get out of making shit tier credits go mining, and bring collector limpets + a refinery.

You can also get a free few million just scanning earth-like worlds that you come across within the bubble using a surface scanner, but it'll set you back 250k to start out with.

Pick a path: combat (piracy/war/bounty hunting), trade (mining/trading/mindless passenger/courier missions), or explore (better paying passengers, fucking around outside the bubble)
>>
>>400669
Mining got nerfed to shit. Robigo mines passenger missions in a python is faster and because the trip is so short it requires less time than a typical mining trip, even mapped mining isn't as good. People missed out on the LTD farming, then the painite farming, now its just back to robigo.
>>
>>400838
I'd rather mine that do a mindless jump loop, at least I can apply a modicum of skill there.
Unless I'm mistaken, and E:D players would prefer an AFK grindathon
>>
>>396016
Fml they killed this game with odyssey
>>
>>396239
I feel you.
It all feels the same. It doesn't matter who is in charge where, the environment will always be the same.
Also, the game tells you too much.
I don't want to know how long it will be until I'm no longer marked or some bullshit.
How would I know that? How would anyone know that?
The game is too revealing at times. It needs subtlety. It needs to leave me wondering like I do IRL.
I don't want everything listed out and readily available. Some things need to be found out through observation.
>>
>>396104
>>402836
I haven't played Odyssey yet.
What has it changed and how has it ruined the game?
>>
File: david-mc-tav66b.jpg (853 KB, 1920x2716)
853 KB
853 KB JPG
>>396239
If you could change or add three things to the game to improve immersion what would they be?

Open question to anyone. Genuinely interested in what sort of details or activities keep people immersed in a game.
>>
>>396213
isinona?
>>
>>402846
>what sort of details or activities keep people immersed
From time to time I start it, play an album that I want to listen through, then do dumb courier tasks until I'm out of music. I don't know what else fun to do here, I'm not even sure if those ships around me are real people (I assume CMDR ones are, the rest aren't). I wanted an MMO, what I got still can be enjoyable (messing in VR with cheap phone headset was super cool but low res killed it ultimately) but I'm not sure if it has a true MMO feeling if I feel rather alone in game.
>>
>>402846
>>403066
i want more from powerplay, more mission types, more consequences for being part of a power like being hunted and attacked and denied starport docking at hostile power systems, and benefits of course, there needs to be a way to bring players together
I’ve always dreamt of there being some sort of rare ultra valuable commodities that are only available in certain systems and the power that controls those would have the upper hand in whatever
we could even tie in jobs to powerplay, like instead of just being a normal exobiologist you could be one for the empire and get sick cosmetics as rewards or some shit

powerplay is currently the only part of ed where players get together to reach a common goal or destroy that goal whilst also exposing them to the lore and story
>>
>>403053
Best ED youtube content by far, sadly hasn't had any new content in a while
>>
>>403066
I think it would be better without fuel scoops and that where we could travel would be limited by the infrastructure present. Essentially, without fuel processing facilities we couldn't go exceptionally far away.
We would be pushed into a smaller fraction of space, forced to occasionally cross one another.
Serious exploration missions beyond the bubble would require coordination and teamwork to succeed.
Also, more mystery around the state of system politics.
I don't want all the powers in a system pointed out to me and ranked by influence.
Alot of shit needs to be communicated through the environment.
>>
>>403528
i don’t even use a fuel scoop
and you’re right it isn’t very necessary when you’re in the bubble even less so with engineering, distant exploration without one would definitely bring people together
>>
>>403138
It would be nice to feel as if you're actually part of a greater struggle.
Also, I want powerplay to not have any sort of special page you can look at in the menu.
It feels silly. It what world would you have clear listed benefits or an entire acquisition strategy laid out for you?
IMAGINE having something like that for crime lords or gang bosses in a city. It would be ridiculous.
"Please sign here to join the Sicilian Mob"
>>
>>401307
How could they have made the game worse?
>>
>Odyssey made FDev lose £10 million
>>
>>398172
>>398619
>>400669
Anyone else think that "harmless" and "dangerous" should be assessments of a pilot's lethality rather than rank?
Like, it should be some sort of function of your total number of kills, kill/death ratio, and the difficulty of opponents faced.
>>
>>399790
>tfw /edg/ isn't even there anymore
I just want to get back in the game bros
>>
>>403798
Yes but the space dads would never allow such a thing
>>
File: cicada.jpg (321 KB, 1920x1080)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
I wish mining was done through physical excavation rather than lasers.
>>
I'm new to this games, can I have some tips? How do I git gud at combat? Was attempting to mine some on my Cobra Mk.3 and got jumped by python and got shredded, later on googled up and apparently python is like thrice bigger and better than my ship, what I'm supposed to do, just run? Also, how do I find good mining spots, should I go out of bubble for mining? Is there specific star classes that have higher chance of good minable spots? So far I found system scanning surprisingly profitable, is 250k scanner worth it? Can I make good bank just flying around? Why do when i visit 'new' system I got little 'discovered' popup while on map it already says name of someone who discovered it first?

P.S. Didn't E:D had general? Can't find anywhere to go and maybe ask something..
>>
>>406019
pythons are slow as hell you should be able to outrun them in a cobra even loaded, invest in A/g5ing thrusters. everything is profitable when you're in a cobra, so go for it and do a little of everything (google rare commodity run, do some smuggling, pirating npcs or breaking into installations) before you go for that imperial grind for a cutter and burn yourself out, first 100h of this game is great
>>
File: SidewinderScale.jpg (252 KB, 1005x517)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>>406019
You'll want to lean into your maneuverability.
The python isn't as agile, you can run circles around it.
Don't let it point its nose at you and you should be fine.
If you're not good at dog-fighting then I suggest you run away.
Pop some chaff and bounce.
Make sure to change up your flight path a bit.
It's easy to line up shots on people moving in a straight line.
>>
>>406019
I think it's officially unpopular enough that no one cares to make one.
>>
>>406019
The 250K scanner scans planet surfaces and rings with probes so it can either double the payout for a planet's exploration data or it can tell you if a ring has concentrated regions of valuable minerals so it's very useful for mining.
Mining is better the more pristine a system's reserves are, which you can check on the system map. Populated systems tend to have depleted reserves unless they were settled only recently.
>>
File: heh.jpg (244 KB, 1070x718)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
I'm nearly 10,000ly away from the bubble, should I explore above or below the galactic plane?
>>
>>406019
>Why do when i visit 'new' system I got little 'discovered' popup while on map it already says name of someone who discovered it first?
Because it's new to you and it's being added to your star chart for the first time. Some places are old and don't get discovered-by tags because they're considered already known by everyone, like Sol. If you explore a new place nobody's been to before and then sell the data, it's worth twice as much as it would be normally and you get your name on it.
>>
>>406953
Most people go above so you should find more untouched territory below.
>>
Thanks for replies for me bumbling noob, I'm atm running the tutorial combat thingy some several times to try and maneuver better in combat. Cant wait to obtain a python myself, seem like a nice multipurpose ship, game is quite nice, should I bother with engineers from early or I instead better cash-up and upgrade and save engineers for later?
>>
>>406973
Save for later. Get the Python and stark making actual money.
Also, keep a buttload of spare money aside.
Your out-of-pocket costs for insurance are gonna get much higher the better your ship is.
You don't want to be in a scenario where you can't pay.
>>
>>406975
Speaking about insurance, if I can't pay it on respawn, can I pay it later? Can I drive sidewinder until I get enough CR to cover insurance?
>>
>>406981
If you can't or won't pay for it at the time then you lose the ship forever.
That said in you're in a pinch you can take a loan to cover some of it (assuming you don't already have a loan outstanding), sell off other ships and assets you own or even abandon individual parts on the insured ship if you don't want to lose the whole thing completely.
>>
>>406973
You don't need to get balls deep in engineering right away, but you get access to Felicity Farseer in Deciat fairly early if you're selling exploration data. Even grade 1 upgrades to thrusters/FSD make a noticable difference and only cost a couple common materials. Getting a meta alloy to her to unlock access might be a bit of a gauntlet. If you go down to the pleiades to get one you may be running from Thargoids half the way back and if you're playing in open Deciat has plenty of griefers hanging out looking for noobs to ambush.
>>
>>407050
>>407082
Thanks, that's very detailed help! Gonna try and get a fren to fly in wing in duo, should be comfy
>>
>>407082
There needs to be an overhaul of law enforcement and punishment/consequences for crimes committed.
I really think there needs to be some serious risks involved with fucking with others that makes griefing not worth it (provided there isn't some serious payoff).
>>
>less than 60 hours into this game
>entering my first system with a bunch of thargoid shit going down
>feel legitimate fear even though I can more than cover the insurance cost of my ship

Space is spooky.
>>
>>407493
I think you underestimate the determination of murder hobos.
Murdering a player already puts a bounty on their ship proportional to how much of a seal clubbing the kill was, and gives the killer notoriety which then triggers a response by ATR (basically cheatmode cops with impossible engineering) in addition to the regular security response and bounty hunters chasing the killer around.
Griefers can end up with bounties in the hundreds of millions that they then have to pay off in full if they ever get taken out in their murderboat otherwise they lose the ship.
>>
So my Elite account tied to my Steam account got banned are the keys no good anymore? I would assume so but I wanted to check.
>>
>>407828
Banned by Steam or banned by Frontier? If the former you may still be able to use Frontier's standalone launcher with your existing login.
>>
>>407838
Frontier sent me the email so it was on their side but it was one of those old accounts before the Account mergers happened so the CD key could be used without steam running so chances are it is no good
I made a new frontier account and used it with Steam and the Launcher would start but then tell me to update even though it was completely up to date.
Guess I will wait for an epic Store sale
>>
>>407844
The fuck did you even do? Even the worst offenders I've seen at worst get quietly shadow banned so they only encounter other shadowbanned players. Never a full ban from the game.
>>
Is there a way I can get community goal module rewards from past events? or are they forever gone
>>
Running from Zeta-1 Reticuli to Hephaestus in a DBX. Wish me luck.
>>
File: 20210918000038_1.jpg (299 KB, 1920x1080)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
Even in space, can't get away from these hoes.
>>
>>407777
Perhaps if they cannot pay off their fines they will have progressively more and more of their assets seized until it balances out.
More importantly, what they cannot pay they must work off in prison.
Credits owed becomes time spent locked up.
Griefers don't care about money but they do care about whether or not they can play the game.
>>
File: file.png (273 KB, 589x701)
273 KB
273 KB PNG
Will the game improve?
>>
>>412092
Planet gen is saved from the nightmare of estrogen brain
>>
>>411773
DESU I like the star citizen jail system where they punish you but at least male the punishment gameplay
>>
Man these crashed Thargoid interceptors don't look crashed so much as they look like they just straight up fell apart.
>>
>>412092
>moving on
someone post him the suicide hotline
>>
>>396016
I have a friend who got it and enjoys it. I'll be joining him soon. Game is great though. It could use a few bug fixes though like the infected vessels never being anywhere and other small things. However, the dog fighting pve or pvp is freaking great.
>>
Free guardian mats to be had in Cornsar aftermath signals. Bring limpets.
>>
>>412259
Ty.
>>
>>412092
Probably not, but it will stop getting worse.
>>
>>412257
>infected vessels
?
>>
>>412411
You know how there are pirate massacre missions? Sometimes it's massacre "infected" vessels. There is never a signal source for them though. Not on the honk scan or in the FSS. You never see them at the beacon or in super. They never appear in the naturally occurring signals as well. Eventually I found out online that they're bugged.
>>
>>412092
No, but it might stop getting worse.
>>
Just so you guys are aware but the consar aftermath signals are still up. If you warp in an out of the same one, eventually you'll come upon an instance where the guardian mats simply respawn every minute.
>>
>>412883
Cornsar*
>>
To unlock all the guardian stuff in elite dangerous you will need:

>179 guardian power cells
>168 guardian power conduits
>167 guardian weapon parts
>284 guardian tech components
>181 guardian wreckage components
>20 pattern alpha obelisk data
>34 pattern beta
>24 pattern delta
>114 pattern epsilon
>16 pattern gamma
>24 focus crystals
>18 phase alloys
>15 heat resistant ceramics
>15 manganese
>84 chromium
>77 carbon

That's just the materials cost, next you'll need blueprints, you'll have to do the blueprint run 27 times.

>6 module blueprints
>3 vessel blueprints
>18 weapon blueprints

Last, you need some commodities, in total you would need 149 cargo space to bring

>8 HN shock mounts
>21 reinforced mounting plates
>6 heatsink interlinks
>10 energy grid assembly
>8 hardware diagnostic sensors
>6 magnetic emitter coils
>18 micro-weave cooling hoses
>18 articulation motors
>42 micro controllers
>12 power transfer bus

Low cost for commodities would require around 310278. Also, micro-weave cooling hoses and articulation motors are only obtainable through mission rewards.

After that you can completely forget about guardians.
>>
>>412927
Where do you get the blueprints from? It's a shame we can buy salvage from wrecks, scans, elements, and those blueprints. On the bright side I can buy a lot of the goods through my fleet carrier.
>>
>>412943
>It's a shame we can buy...
can't*
>>
>>412943
Specific guardian sites give specific blueprints and each one has a really basic puzzle. You have a time limit to shoot the pillars scattered around the area with your SRV and then take the key that drops to the the glowing ball that appears, time limit being 5 minutes. Then you relog and do it again since you only get 1 blueprint per run and each run takes around 7ish minutes. Also, I recommend bringing something like an ASPX because you can put a point defense on the top of your ship to destroy the missiles that the sentinels use since each relog resets the enemy spawn points and activating the puzzle also spawns more sentinels. Then you only have to worry about their basic weapons.
>>
>>412951
Also, just suggesting the asp x because its got good jump range and its small enough to park right next to guardian sites while being tall enough that the point defense can shoot over the structures.
>>
>>412951
Technically you don't even need an SRV with a small enough ship that has a well-positioned cargo hatch.
The pillars can be triggered to rise if your ship fits between the structures, they can be charged with a ship-mounted weapon like a beam laser, then you can scrape a relic off the ground with your hatch and drop it right on the lock.
Even more options if you have Odyssey:
Hand weapons are effective against sentinels and can charge pillars too
Sentinel aim is crap and you can just sidestep their shots or block them with the smallest amount of cover
Standing under or right next to structures will block missiles
Even 1% suit shield remaining will completely block a missile if you do somehow manage to get hit
You can kick around a relic and guide it into the lock like the galaxy's most awkward soccer ball
>>
>>412988
Thanks.
>>
>>410310
Took me a second.
>>
>>412092
What was her job again?
>>
File: 1630771662861.jpg (585 KB, 1080x1920)
585 KB
585 KB JPG
>>413463
>her
>>
>>396016
Do people unironically do the non combat gameplay loops? Why the fuck would you bother?
>>
>>413616
Like if you're Fleet Carrier exploring, you'll need to mine to fuel it to keep jumping with it.
>>
File: quad yikes.jpg (377 KB, 635x694)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>>413463
Various aspects of procedural generation, the most important of which for Odyssey was the planetary terrain. Original version was written when he was a he, Odyssey version was written when he was a he in a dress. The Odyssey version is a disaster as each planet is made out of a library of terrain features with some modifiers applied so there's nothing really unique in the universe anymore. Once you've seen a couple planets you've pretty much seen them all. As a bonus, these features are so heavily repeated that you can pick out a dozen of the same one on the same planet.
>>
>>413696
Was this today?
>>
>>410290
ANSWER MY QUESTION YOU FUCKS
>>
>>413684
The jump range on fleet carriers is pathetic. It should be way higher.
>>
>>413760
I'm fine with it. I just wish they had an inventory system more like eve than menu inventories and allowed us to actually store ships and modules proper into it with the ability to pick and choose what we want to sell/buy.
>>
>>413760
>>413808
At least a bulletin board so when people dock at my FC I can at least teach the noobies how to mine for me.
>>
>>413696
Why the fuck was it even necessary to do this. They could have updated the textures and sky boxes on the old worlds and slotted in new settlements and called it a day but instead they blew up a headline feature.
>>
File: supersize my big pacc.png (347 KB, 1735x941)
347 KB
347 KB PNG
Oh boy here we go!
>>
>>413996
PROTIP: It even oneshots Thargoids despite not being AX.
>>
>>413996
Teach me your secrets, please. I am ignorant and weak.
>>
>>414017
You take your plasma accelerators to Bill here and you have him apply the oversized experimental.
That's it.
Somebody at fdev managed to break the oversized mod in a hilarious way. I'd expect this will get patched real quick.
>>
>>414022
It may have already happened. There was a patch earlier.
>>
File: 1625696130664.jpg (210 KB, 640x808)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>414048
It's been patched out but laser beams with efficient or overcharged do no damage now.
>>
>>413696
Damn. There must be a way to generate a unique heightmap and convert it to a custom texture.
Texture from a distance and actual terrain once up close.
I don't blame them for fucking it up. It sounds like a tall order.
>>
>>414114
>its real
does anyone with an IQ higher than 12 work on this fucking game anymore?
>>
>>414216
They'll need to look out of house at software developers specializing in animation/simulation.
I've met dudes who work solely on simulating smoke and dust.
There is an autist out there with the exact skills to make this happen.
They just need to find him
>>
File: 8tyb43jv5oe11.jpg (1.52 MB, 7456x3508)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>396245
They fail to create a convincing world. No matter who controls what it all looks the same. It all feels the same.
The tools are there but they need to find new ways to communicate to us.
How can I tell visually that system is dangerous?
What artifacts can I search for that indicate who controls a system?
What sort of activity would I expect to find in a system with a specific economy?
>>
File: 70f2sspd4rv61.png (1.26 MB, 1573x880)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
>>396016
From Horizons to Odyssey
>lighting
Ruined
>planet gen
Ruined
>performance
Tanked
>player numbers
Decimated
>new vehicles
Absent

At least we got legs though right. My biggest disappointment is the lighting, previously the lighting in the system was the same hue as the star like in pic related, now all lighting is basically white regardless of the star present. Same with atmos, frontier showed off blue skies in trailers but all we got is a shitty thin sky box with fully visible stars through it. Why are all spacegame devs so bad?
>>
>>413996
>>414022
you forgot to say you need to exit game and back to reroll a new number.
damn, i'm gonna miss out on this.
>>413939
this pisses me the fuck off so much. there was no need to change the terrain generation, it was fine at Horizons
Pic related as example of what we lost. you wont see those craters and canyons ever again in odyssey.
>>
>>414565
and this is how it looks now.
look how they massacred my boy.
>>
>>414565
>>414568
>here's your lead render programmer, bro
It's not a coincidence that planet gen was ruined as soon as he trooned, and that he subsequently 'left FD' aka was canned. Dude is a cautionary tale to lonely nerds with a crossdressing fetish.
>>
File: kayforum.jpg (272 KB, 1536x864)
272 KB
272 KB JPG
>>414590
Forgot pic
>>
>>414022
So what are the chances of me getting banned if I use this to farm the shit out of thargoids? And my understanding is that you use you engineer the PA with focused, then you choose oversized, and then when you restart the game and you'll get shitloads of damage?
>>
>>414605
We don't know if bannable. Top payout can be 60 mill for a big goid so mill 100 of them and you got a carrier.
>>
How painful is staying in the top 10 for this CG going to be? So far I've submitted 345 reports.
>>
>>414707
reporting gankers CG?
>>
>>414590
Why did they even change planet gen in the first place?
What were they trying to add?
>>
>>414565
>>414568
>SOUL Vs. SOULLESS
>>
>>414707
Well looks like its going to be a grind to stay in top 10. At this rate going to need to submit probably 1500-2000 reports. Why can't FDEV make CG's that aren't mind numbingly boring and repetitive?
>>
>>415678
Grind is all they know.
>>
File: ed mining limpets.png (1.87 MB, 1920x1200)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB PNG
>be new to elite dangerous
>have have a cobra for traveling and a python for mining
>just breached 100 mil credits
>decide to go find one of those engineers
>oh hey there's actually players here neat don't see them often
>get instantly shot down whenever I try to leave the engineer station
>multiple times
>jump into solo mode to get away from the station

So is there no penalty for directly firing on one of these places? I could barely start thrusting up before my ship exploded. Which to be fair was a Cobra so I'm not surprised I was one-shot.

Other than that I'm having a blast so far.
>>
>>416922
>So is there no penalty for directly firing on one of these places?
There is, but unless they hit the facility itself with stray fire it only happens after you're destroyed.
They get a bounty + notoriety and the facility goes hostile on them, but it's not that difficult for them to escape. The facility forgets about them once they're gone so they just come back and do it again.
If they eventually get destroyed they have to pay off their bounty or lose the ship they used for the murders, which can run into hundreds of millions of credits for a night of seal clubbing. Not that that'll deter career griefers though.
>>
File: 1604872389258.webm (2.68 MB, 1240x698)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB WEBM
>>396197
It's not that the multiplayer is a mistake, it's that it's shallow and watered down for carebears.
It's just eurotruck in space for dads.
>>
>>398172
That's the entire game lol
>>
>>396197
>pre-engineers
>be me in a vulture
>CZ mission stacking in 17 Draconis
>players winging up and fighting each other.
>actually have a chance against gank squads in big ships
>hugging another player's anaconda in the ass while I unleash my dual large pulse lasers
>rebuy is really cheap, don't give a shit losing my ship
>having a blast before my cabin breaks for the 7th time

>engineer update hits
>korean grind is here
>material farming on a chinese mmo scale
>large ships are unkillable beasts with 10kmj shields
>size and agility mean shit.
>PVP reduced to who can tank the most hits in a 25 min battle or to who brought reverb torpedoes and superpen rails.

i wanna go back
are small ships viable anymore against players in large ships?
if only CQC would let us use all our ships.
>>
I've not played in a while, can I still be an annoying little shit in an Eagle and laser slow bois to death or do I just have no chance at all in any dimension anymore
>>
>>415678
I'm not even sure why I'm bothering. My original reason was to get the ships and then post me selling them on the forum to trigger the dads there but it takes so much time to do the stupid scanning shit because supercruise is fucking cancer and takes way too long. Then I think about trying out fighting thargoids but then I know I need more matts for engineering and I just give up because its all so fucking boring and excessively grindy and dull. I want to maybe just relax and do some hauling between stations but then I remember the stupid fucking garbage ass interdiction shit that again is just mindless time wasting. You either have a slightly maneuverable ship and easily win or you just submit, brake hard, turn around and just mash boost until you can jump and it takes you out of any sort of immersion. Speaking of which, having such non-existent player impact is fucking boring.
>>
>>417009
Attempts to simplify combat in this game has only helped those with greater power output.
I really think this game could benefit from deeper, sophisticated combat.
I want DCS with just a splash of Children of a Dead Earth.
>>
My favorite moment in flying is literally landing and takeoff and even that can stand some improvement.
It's the only moment that feels immersive and involved to me.
I love hearing Traffic Control direct me to slow down, approach, head towards my pad, etc.
Fuck, I wish it was as detailed as actual takeoff/landing at an airport.
>>
>>418351
Oops, meant this to be a response to this >>417977
>>
>>416938
So hundreds of millions of credits is nothing to them?
>>
What's the coolest looking ship?
I want a goal to work towards, getting tired of my twin seater triangle
>>
>>418369
Personally, I like the Fer-de-Lance.
The Mamba is cool too.
>>
>>418369
clipper
>>
>>418369
What size are you going for?
>>
>>396135
I tried ganking people but unlike in EVE it seems like nobody really bothers to fight back, unless I'm trying to pvp in the wrong places.
>>
How do I scan?
I'm trying to complete a planetary scan mission
>>
>>418409
For a scan mission you'll require a Detailed Surface Scanner module.
A guide can be found on the wiki:
https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Detailed_Surface_Scanner
>>
>>413696
>>414565
>>414568
I'm sure you're excited to know that they're going to merge odyssey terrain gen into horizons before the end of the year
>>
>>418581
we know
I mean they made several improvements to the terrain generation but the key issues (no more extreme or interesting geography, whitewashed lighting, repeating terrain patterns) are still there. it has lost it's soul already and it won't come back.
>>
How do i make 40mil in a jiffy?
>>
>>418903
I wish I knew, anon.
>>
>>418694
What were the improvements?
>>
>>418903
look for passenger missions in robigo
>>419164
terrain looks less than a computer generated heightmap from the 90s (pic related) and it's more in line to what you would expect, albeit still lacking the things than made horizons good.
also texture generation an placement makes more sense and won't be splattered all over the place randomly like in >>414568 pic
and your fps wont drop like a rock like it did when odyssey got released.
>>
I just decked out my diamondback explorer with a double engineered FSD and a guardian FSD booster, where should I go for her maiden voyage?
>>
>>419441
Colonia or the core
>>
>>419579
>>419441
>Colonia
Second this
>>
File: mining_drone.jpg (165 KB, 600x390)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>401199
I wish the mining utilized teleoperated drones rather than lasers.
Half the fun of mining is physically ripping rock apart with heavy machinery.
>>
File: core roid rekt.jpg (74 KB, 584x473)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>418362
Even if it is their murderboner is so incredibly turgid for you that they'll go mining for days (in solo mode of course) just to fund their next spree.
>>418379
If you're not kitted specifically for PVP you're at such a massive disadvantage that there's no point. So they either immediately bounce or just eat the rebuy, respawn and get on with whatever they were doing.
>>419914
Even when I'm laser mining I still pack seismic charges just so I can blow shit up whenever I get the chance.
>>
File: file.png (186 KB, 283x305)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
whats it mean bros??
>>
who else here uses the bandwidth usage indicator to cheat and find people who aren't on scanners
>>
>>421622
Man, that's no fun.
>>
>>420702
It means you're having a stroke.
>>
File: liam-keating-asp-x.jpg (232 KB, 1920x1302)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
You are now in control of Elite: Dangerous
How do you change the game?
What do you add? What do you take away?
>>
>>421855
Ship interiors
All I want is to be able to chill in my krait, have a cup of coffee and be able to admire my srv or fighter
>>
File: hardspace_habitation.png (3.13 MB, 1920x1080)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB PNG
>>421885
It would be cool to chill in a shitty little studio somewhere.
Fill it with posters and other knick-knacks.
Give it a personal touch
>>
File: tin_can.jpg (355 KB, 1920x1080)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>421885
I wonder what moving around the ship without magnetic boots is like?
Do you just push off and go from grab-bar to grab-bar?
>>
Is deep core mining still the best to make big bucks?
>>
>>422061
No, it switched to laser mining painite, now its just robigo passenger missions since mining got repeatedly nerfed.
>>
>>422293
Ah, cock, my cobra doesn't fit any passengers
How do I go about it, buy a dolphin and pray?
>>
>>422540
Buy a python and engineer it enough that you can jump to Sirius atmospherics in 2 jumps and only accept passenger missions to Sirius Atmospherics. You want to use robigo mines rather than the bigger station because robigo mines won't scan you and its faster than docking at the big station because the planet's rings block the path. So just take whatever pays the most since criminal status won't matter. Also, if you just ignore and don't open the messages the passengers send you there won't be any penalty for ignoring them. The run is super fast which is a nice benefit because you don't need to dedicate as much time as mining requires, especially if you were doing cutter laser mining.
>>
>supporting Hudson in the CG would give access to OP multicannons
>the ruskie corps 100% supports Grom so we're going to get mediocre missile racks instead
God fucking dammit.
>>
>>422968
I've been doing road to riches runs with a diamondback, is it more profitable?
>>
>>421885
>>421897
That sounds and looks fun.
>>
>>418379
No one fights back because unless you are running an enginnered combat build riced to do nothing but PvP. Or are an actual god-tier pilot and the guy ganking you happens to be some shitter just killing timmys.
You are going to die anyway
Another example how engineering and the credit grind-squeeze forcing people to min-max just to make a decent profit is a perfect storm ruining the game.
>>
>>421855
Easy:
>Remove engineering in current state, no more mods that are just straight upgrades. Replace with exclusively sidegrades.
>Double ALL credit payouts
>More rewarding random encounters of different types, forcing people to do something other than just run riced min-max builds that do one thing.
>Powerplay Open Only
>Hazard bonus for trading in Open
>Make Powerplay the most lucrative activity
>Make Powerplay factions more player run, and allow for actual diplomacy between them.
>Add more gameplay for Fleet carriers, especially combat related, and make them vulnerable while performing them.
>>
Okay bros, been on a break since like Odyssey patch 3. What changed since then?
Ground engineering and upgrading less soul-draining bullshit?
Ground combat makes more credits?
Did some new method of grinding space and ground mats emerge in Odyssey?
A new credit meta?
>>
>>417009
For large ships stay behind them and when shields are down target power plants. If you get the power plant to 0% everything starts malfunctioning/shutting off on the ship and if you keep firing into the power plant you can even destroy a larger ship even if it has more than 50% hull hp.
>>
>>421855
Create thousands of templates for procedurally generated content such as ruins, abandoned bases, and a bunch of other explorable things for people to find randomly on foot on planets. Add new ships and modules.
I'd also add new ground vehicles too.
Ship interiors.
I'd also make it where if you follow someone's wake instead of teleporting on top of them you teleport in where their wake is. So if someone moves 10km away from their entry point and you follow them you now have to close 10km to get to them. Would also make pve a bit easier for noobies since I'd make npcs follow this rule as well.

I'd also add foot monsters/aliens to shoot at that's chiefly found outside civilized space.

I'd make the inventory system more like what eve online has and expand the current crafting system and make it where nearly every commodity serves a purpose outside of moving it around for npc stations while introducing blueprints so that fleet carriers can create things to sell (so like if you're a miner you can create the ships/modules to sell selectively on the fleet carrier).

I'd make it where fleet carriers can sell/buy specifically what players pick and choose. So if I got 280 units of gold but only want to sell 80 units I can do that. Also, I'd make it where you can sell modules/ships stored on your fleet carrier individually while maintaining their stock system (in certain situations it's kind of good).

Fleet carrier interior lol.

I'd expand power play a bit to include on foot activities.

Engineering is fine imo. I like being able to upgrade my ships and seeing them perform better.

Mining rocks can be moved via enough mass ramming them >.>

I'd make limpet drones more intelligent. No more randomly slamming into things and dying.

I'd expand intel gathering in match out of game intel gathering sites like eddb.
>>
>>423641
>I'd expand intel gathering in match out of game intel gathering sites like eddb.
Correcting myself here:
I'd expand intel gathering in game to match out of game intel gathering sites like eddb.
>>
>>423641
Fleet carriers should also get a bulletin board so you can leave messages for visitors.
>>
>>423331
120mil an hour for robigo runs.
>>
>>396016
this game lacks

>proper inventory/cargo
>ships, it needs way more ships
>comfy ship cockpits for VR master race
>some form of base building
>real player economy
>cargo system based on volume and mass.
>incentive to kill other players besides being a dick
>emergent content

this geame never should have
>some weird ass limited material system for upgrades, wtf just let me store shit in cargo and somewhere in a bought storage place in station...
>solo play that uses the same world as online play.
>>
>>423502
>Remove engineering in current state, no more mods that are just straight upgrades. Replace with exclusively sidegrades.
That was their original plan and it went straight to shit because they wouldn't know balance if it bit them in the peehole.
Instead a few mods were the meta and the rest were useless. Like the penalties for overcharged were insignificant on multicannons so it was a straight upgrade and the only mod to use.
Eventually they gave up and made them all upgrades with minor downsides.
>>
>>424088
I'm talking more along the lines of something like the experimental mod system.
For example
>Thargoid thrusters
>You can't boost and you max speed is down to 50% of max or say 270m/s, whichever is lower.
>BUT you now accelerate at the same rate in every direction. (Especially usefull in FA-off)
Or:
>Unstable shielding
>Your shields are very strong and don't require sys power
>BUT you can only keep them UP for x amount of time before they need to shut down and cool-off
>Your heat spikes while doing so, and does not dissipate until the shield is off, even when using heat-sinks. (to prevent a meta of alpha-strike invulnerable shield builds)
>And they ONLY regenerate after a reboot
If you work for Frontier and pay me i can come up with more >:3
>>
>>423641
Not bad. I'd scratch the aliens and inventory system but everything else is solid.
>>
File: juttrgwck7931.jpg (412 KB, 3432x1890)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>423641
>I'd also add foot monsters/aliens to shoot at that's chiefly found outside civilized space
There's already a goid model for this so will probably happen in a year. Probably will include another material grind for mandatory anti goid firearms to make it tedious instead of fun
>>
>>424872
That's fan-made model
>>
>>424872
I really hope not. There's nothing wrong with just doing the creep.
>>
Is the shootan mode good yet?
>>
Lads i got stranded again, but I literally just called fuel rats yesterday am I retarded?
>>
>>428131
Dude, get a fleet carrier with the universal cartographics and bare minimum you need. Carry at least one ship you can mine tritium with and have the fleet carrier jump with you in your main exploration ship. So if you know you're gonna spend more than 15 minutes getting from point a to point b, jump the carrier ahead of you so that you never have to worry about fuel again. Ship fuel is infinite on those things. FC fuel uses tritium and so long as you have a ship with a large cargo hold that can mine you'll always have fuel to move it around. There are so many ringed planets out there with tritium hotspots. It's like you find a rock that's only water, but then it has like 4 sub surface tritium deposits with 1 outcropping. I spend like a hour playing in the corvette and I can get like 100 to 200 tons of tritium along with some other valuable ores I intend to sell when I return. Because you still find void opal deep cores in tritium hotspots and other valuable ores. FC has a huge inventory too even when you have everything running. Plus, I like to map and scan for firsts and the FC ensures I get my credit.
>>
>>428131
Also, there is no minimum range for turn ins on the cartographics on a FC
>>
Has core mining been un-nerfed yet? I dropped the game and told myself I wouldn't pick it back up until I could get back to performing my space ballet and rock cracking for a decent profit again.
>>
>>428220
No, there will only ever be excessive grind because engaging content would require effort and hiring talent.
>>
>>428246
That is disappointing.
>>
>>421855
Also, when you go to switch ships, the last crew member that was active is on by default when you switch to a ship with a fighter bay.
>>
>>421855
I like this dude's style.
>>
>>424068
>cargo system based on volume and mass
>proper inventory/cargo
>comfy ship cockpits
I want to walk into my cargo bay and take inventory of all my goods.

>real player economy
What would you suggest?
>>
File: primal_armor.png (653 KB, 959x504)
653 KB
653 KB PNG
It would be interesting if the shields acted more like the particle-based shields in AC4.
A surrounding magnetic field creates a suspended "net" of pseudo-solid charged particles that enter a solid state when compressed against a projectile.
I think shields should operate more like slat armor.
It should exist to lessen the impact of incoming fire (kinetic) and detonate explosives early.
It would be ineffective against lasers and electromagnetic weaponry.
Give the opportunity for small ships to attack larger ones.
Plus the little magnetosphere around the ship would protect against solar winds.
>>
>>429248
Sustained fire would slowly wear away the amount of particles stored within the field and further reduce its effectiveness as time goes on.
Shields would never be entirely down but approach a state of near uselessness.
Small ships could keep the shields weak provided they can just keep pounding it enough to prevent it from regenerating.
>>
>>429248
That's a cool concept. It would work well with a tactical space sim, but never with ED.
>>
>>429301
>never with ED
How so?
>>
>>428136
Don't those things have crazy upkeep costs?
>>
>>429824
5M/week basic, 10M/week with a reasonable loadout of useful things. It's not too bad given 100M+/hr incomes and they're too useful to pass up. I should just decommission mine since I don't play anymore after they abandoned the game and moved the dev team to Jurassic World Evolution 2 while lying about it.
>>
File: 198651902.jpg (189 KB, 1600x855)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>429382
I assumed this mechanic will reduce survivability and TTK which doesn't work well with the rest of the game systems e.g. long travel times.
Also it will turn it into a twitch shooter and alienate the playerbase.
>>
>>430177
I was thinking of altering engagement distance and effectiveness of lasers.
Lasers can go through shields but aren't super effective against ship hulls (which I think should be covered in a heat-resistant layers of ceramic composite)
However they are exceptionally accurate, practically unphased (meaningfully anyway) by gravity, hit nearly instantaneously, and build heat upon the targeted component.
Lasers become specialty weapons designed to engage at long distances or damage specific, exposed components.
Primary method of engagement in mid/close range becomes kinetic based weaponry.
Players have to wear down shields to do serious damage or get a missile to pass through and actually hit the hull.
Once then it becomes a game of preventing the your opponent from getting a nose-on and firing on you.
Also, missiles do not have a FSD generating resistance nor do they have air they can push against.
Missiles will have to utilize RCS thrusters to alter course and their propellant will be limited.
You'll need to fire them at the right time (a la DCS) to get a hit.
With careful flying and the right countermeasures it should still be difficult to insta-gank a fleeing opponent.
Right now combat is shallow. It needs to become more complex in my opinion.
>>
>en route to colonia
>only stop to check for ELWs/AWs/WWs
>arrive to system on route
>planet autoscan bc is close to arrival point
>feel the autistic need to scan all bodies because of it
can't be the only one who does this
>>
>>430530
if a system has an ELW or WW in it, I feel autistically compelled to surface scan the entire system because leaving just 1 or 2 planets surface scanned feels wrong.
>>
is the performance still shit? Haven't actually played since Odyssey dropped, but I remember my PC could barely keep up when I played in VR, I can't imagine what it's like now if performance got killed like people have been saying
>>
>>430871
yeah it still sucks balls, the patches help but only by 0.1% each patch, and its still inconsistent across different systems with different hardware
the only real way to get decent performance is turning your game into a blur fest with DLSS or with whatever the AMD equivalent was called
>>
>FDEV starts banning people from the official forums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bStv5Jgw3Wk
Lmao
>>
>>>/v/575034407
So /edg/ how would you solve this problem?
>>
>>433062
Solve what problem?
>>
>>431984
For what?
>>
So how is odyssey? Steam reviews say its still a incomplete mess. This true?
>>
>>433062
Just checked the archives KEK.
>>
>>403510
You mean BurgerAnt
>>
>Buy ED last year
>love it
>space trucking
>beautiful scenery
>decent combat
>buy a joystick
>hurts to use with the height of my desk and chair
>don't want to play without it
>lose any impetus to play

sucks
>>
>>434142
>buy ED this year
>love it
>do courier tasks for 30 hours, having fun
>start getting bored
>discover how to do mining
>it's tiring to look around for random rocks, pew pew laser and try to scoop 1% retardium for hours
>lose any impetus to play

sucks
>>
>>406615
this pic is the best
>>
>>434143
Combat is the only loop that can keep you going long term, the rest of the gameplay is filler content
>>
>>434569
Actually that's the one thing I've been steering super clear of for the whole time. My maneuvers suck and I wanted to kinda get away from that "gotta shoot somebody or get killed" thing in other multiplayer games.
>>
>>434571
The PVE combat is decently fun in this game, pvp is more of a niche endgame thing that most players avoid
>>
>>434572
Reason being the flight model, it's the only gameplay that makes you learn to flight assist off which is where the git gud element comes into effect, when you get a handle on it you experience a decent zero g combat sim which unlike anything else out there (except SC which does it better but fuck that game)
>>
>>434572
combat is just as boring as everything else, I got sick fast of competing in 20 minute jousting tournaments in empty featureless voids with damagesponge enemies
>>
>>434593
LOL sad to say you won't find much else of interest in elite then. It really is a shallow sandbox.
>>
File: download (20).jpg (219 KB, 1920x1080)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
So not too long ago I read in one of their update logs that they're opening up engineers in Colonia more?
If true, this might be what gets me back into the game because when I first got this game last year, I traveled all the way to Colonia in an unengineered AspX and haven't been able to do shit with engineers ever since
>>
>bought one at colonia
>mfw no tritium on any market
>gonna have to mine for it
gonna mostly use it to carry my shit and to dump xplo data anyway but can you make money with it?
>>
>>435267
>can you make money with it?
no, no, the opposite!
>>
File: wtf.png (306 KB, 407x591)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iueX4E1zdWo
Miss playing ED since they killed it with odyssey. Has anyone here tried Fly Dangerous yet?
>>
>>435026
The engineers are actually better in Colonia than in the bubble these days. Each one does more blueprints so you have to jump around less and they're closer together even if you do. More importanly, they do some grades that aren't even available in the bubble. Namely G5 life support, G4 shield cell and G5 interdictor.

>>435274
Speak for yourself. I set mine to buy high value minerals and park it near whichever mining spot is popular during a market downturn, then when the market is up I set it to sell and park it right next to a station buying at max price.
The people who sell to me only have to travel ~1ls to get the best market price at the time and when it comes time to sell people can make 50-70K per ton selling my shit to a station a few Mm away. Meanwhile I'll have made 400-600K/ton doing abso-fucking-lutely nothing.
And since it takes way longer for the sale market to tank than it does to empty the carrier, it doesn't even matter if everyone in the game knows about this method.
Unlike how to get 5K trit, which needs to be kept secret or everybody loses.
>>
>>435937
What am I looking at here?
>>
File: Screenshot_0026.png (1.25 MB, 1920x1080)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>437592
Odyssey update, first new engineer. This is a screenshot from inside Domino Green's base on day one of release. The 14 fps was because they never did an occlusion culling optimization pass. Everything is being rendered outside the base including the entire system, its stars, planets, all bases, all surfaces, every ship in it, literally everything. The graphics card was drawing the inside of other bases lightyears away. It has been improved since release but it is still a hot mess. I do miss playing though but every time I log in now it's absolutely dead. Frontier killed this game.
>>
>>437676
How could they fuck with the rendering process that hard?
>>
>>436312
>spoiler
It better not be by mining.
I swear it used to be faster when I was looking for painite and vopals. I feel I can't get past the 100t/hr when looking for tritium.
>>
>>437676
Which N64 game is that?
>>
>>435937
I've been through some shitty expansions in my days and all I did was keep playing the base game, but the way Odissey was shat out somehow killed my enjoyement for Horizons too. I used to play on the daily and now I can't bring myself to launch the game at all, that's how big of a letdown it was for me.
>>
File: halfLegs.gif (2.91 MB, 422x588)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB GIF
>>438359
Played daily as well. Had worked out a nice rotation where each day there was a different little sub community to meet up with. From pvp in the rocks to racing vipers, from ganking to sperg hunting the cg with apes. All the little niche communities sort of disappeared when the servers split though and daily players went from 25k on a single server to 5k split across two servers.

>https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-update-8-notes.592174/
Patch 8 comes out today -

>The team have been working hard on optimisation as part of this update 8 delivery, with extensive work carried out on Odyssey’s light and shadows, optimisation of glass, skin and particles, along with render layer optimisations and further improvements to the Navmesh.

Will be keeping an eye on feedback to see how well this goes. Most people seem to think they want to merge the servers back sooner than later, if players can instance with each other in space on either version then the game might still have some life left.
>>
File: pepe sweat.jpg (51 KB, 709x595)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>437676
>The 14 fps was because they never did an occlusion culling optimization pass. Everything is being rendered outside the base including the entire system, its stars, planets, all bases, all surfaces, every ship in it, literally everything. The graphics card was drawing the inside of other bases lightyears away.
I think I just heard my 1070 gag reading this. Thank god I stuck with Horizons.
>>
how to solve elite's engineer grind problem
make everything purchasable with credits and not having to do your fucking terrible gay rock grinding shit or raiding random settlements to rob someone of their magical semen jars that make your guns upgradable or whatever
>>
>>438827
I don’t understand why they don’t want to implement player trading for engineering materials, they could add trading posts on every starport or something or make it a black market idk
>>
>>438603
So how much better is it?
>>
>on-foot takedown missions now offer top tier ship engineering mats as rewards instead of suit mats
MEF and focus crystals for shooting someone in the face instead of having to fuck off to Robigo? I think I love this bug.
>>
File: Polaris.png (522 KB, 1366x768)
522 KB
522 KB PNG
>>439075
Replies from the forums seem to indicate:
>1060 - 1660ti, fps went from 20-30 fps on low settings in settlements to 40-50 fps
>3060ti - 3070 running stable 60fps dipping in to 40-50 with heavy ai unit presence on ground
>3080 - 3090 reaching 90 fps in space dipping to 60-70 on planets

Devs seem to imply this is probably as good as it is ever going to be, which is somewhat depressing since guys with 3090's are reporting their gpu and cpu loads are under 50%. The limiting factor seems to be VRAM, the more you have the better and 16gigs isn't really enough I guess.

Response from the online discord communities is mixed, most people seem to be happy with the slight improvement while others have decided to retire since 60-90 fps seems like the best framerate possible. Personally I don't see Elite winning over any new first person shooter players with these numbers, but they might be able to hold on to what remains of their old space sim fans.. If I was in Fdev shoes I would crack open the lore books and start trying to get people interested again, pic related.
>>
>>439409
I was getting 40-50 on my laptop 1060 with mixed medium and few high settings (shadows low those were always a hog even in horizons in srv), looks like mostly 60fps should be achieveable
>>
>>438359
I've not logged in since finishing Shoddesy content. Their dev team being moved to Jurassic World Evolution 2 while the CMs lied that the team was still working on Elite killed all the fucks I had left. They don't even have a programmer to fix a lot of it anymore as Dr. Tranny left, they've just got the unreleased parts of Shoddesy to dump after Nov 9th.
>>
>>439476
What's on Nov 9?
>>
>>439659
Jurassic world evolution 2. The project they're actually working on instead of oddity
>>
>>439476
They kicked "her" for good reason.
Ross' work was shit towards the end.
The issues we're seeing now are largely thanks to Ross.
Hopefully they'll find someone better if they don't straight up abandon Elite altogether.
>>
>>439476
>>440309
Legit think they should just prep for a completely new game.
>>
Pls send halp.

How the fuck do I find high grade emissions? Specifically proto light alloys for engineering?

From the things I've read and watch, they say to go to boom systems, scan the nav beacon, then look for high grade emissions signals?

I've been trying for hours and hours have jumped to many boom systems and I've not seen one single high grade emission signal.

All other engineering materials are easy to get besides the time it takes to get them. But I can't find high grade emissions anywhere.
>>
>frameshift drive charging
>4, 3 ,2, 1
>engage
>ZOOOOMM WAAR PPFFFFFF ZUM ZUM ZUM
>fuel scoop deployed
>fuel scooping in progress
>fuel scooping complete
>fuel scoop disingaged
>frameshift drive charging
>4, 3, 2, 1
>engage
>>
>>440492
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4HClk1cRIo
Proto light alloys is found in Independent or Alliance systems. Search by high population and boom state @ https://inara.cz/nearest/
>>
File: 1594458432635.png (1.34 MB, 1201x884)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>can't even pay off fucking FINES with notoriety
whoever designed this retarded system needs to be hung by their balls jesus christ
>>
File: PlanetSurfaces.png (430 KB, 786x543)
430 KB
430 KB PNG
>>440309
The irony of 'her' work is that everyone told 'her' how great 'she' looked as a woman every day just like they told 'her' how great the new planet generation looked. An entire company was brainwashed to agree with insanity for fear of being cancelled. Nobody, right up to Braben himself, had the balls to say she looked like a man and that the planet surfaces looked just as horrible as 'her' face. Nope. The entire department told 'her' Odyssey planets where wonderful and beautiful even as it was being released to alpha. Stunning and Brave.

Get woke go broke.
>>
>>437676
>The 14 fps was because they never did an occlusion culling optimization pass. Everything is being rendered outside the base including the entire system, its stars, planets, all bases, all surfaces, every ship in it, literally everything. The graphics card was drawing the inside of other bases lightyears away.

How in the flying fuck did this not get picked up in development? There must've been zero quality control over this, did they just give their developers all 3090 ti's and even when they saw 45 fps they were like "yeah it'll run on the same specs as horizons" fml such incompetence is astounding.
>>
>>438603
>game might still have some life left.
It's gone bro elite died when the tranny decided to take it with it when it went full 40%
>>
>>440673
Thanks
>>
>>438359
Braben actually managed to kill my enthusiasm for space sims, and I'm the sort of autist whose enthusiasm for something, once established, remains stubbornly fixed beyond all reason.
Not even X: Rebirth (or The Engineers) managed to crack through my armour of autism like Odyssey did.
I think it's the combination of yet another blatantly half-assed expansion and FTroop's vibe of baffled consternation about it, like they're actually irritated people dared to expect more and better than was sold to them.
>>
I'm thinking of falling for the scam and switching to SC.
>>
This shit has so much potential they should NMS the thing
Odyssey's proof-of-concept (that somehow passed as a release) can be a breathtaking wonder of immersion
>>
>>440746
It ran fine on David Brabens machine. :))))))
>>
>>441008
I'll probably pick up the basic version soon. I switched to starbase after they fucked elite but it had very little content and is riddled with bugs. It might be great a couple years from now but it's currently pretty dead. An anon on /v/ posted some cool scam citizen videos last night. It runs even worse than odyssey though which makes me worried that my 1660 super won't cut it.

Why are space games so fucking cursed?
>>
>>437676
How is that even possible?
Isn't each system a completely seperete instance?
>>
>>441008
>>441575
>scam citizen
Elite deserves all the negative shit people say about it, but Elite is still the best space simulator on the market.

>>441951
Each system is a separate instance. In that screenshot you are seeing the inside of a base in a system, which looks like shit because the graphics card is drawing everything in the instance, including the other 40+ bases in the system, every ship in the system, every star, every planets full surface, literally everything in the system instance. You would need a server farm of ram to load all the objects. Normally game engines do what is called occlusion culling, this disables rendering of objects when they are not currently seen by the camera because they are obscured (occluded) by other objects. Elite Odyssey released with no culling which is why the image looked like this on release. This has been corrected 5 months later and patch 8 is achieving playable framerates.
>>
why is transporting data and combat the only two ways of getting merits for powerplay? what the fuck why don’t they add more ways now that odyssey got a bunch of new mission types
>>
>>443205
i doubt fdev even remember that powerplay exists
>>
>>443235
I doubt fdev even knows how half the damn game works.
>>
if only there was a singleplayer component to elite that you could mod out all the gay grinding and other retarded decisions that fdev have made
>>
CG completion incoming for a double-eng 6A FSD. Time to break some world records.
>>
>>448469
I really want those FSD's but this CG is so fucking boring. Is 4k going to be enough to stay in 75%?
>>
>fucking around with emotes
>wave in general direction of my ship
>it pulls up the gear and fucks off
Okay that was awesome. But also: Fuck.

>>448591
I don't see the minimum going much higher than 2K. It's almost over and the lower bound for 75% is still under 1.9K.
>>
>>448591
>signed up for the fsd
>in colonia
>mfw markets are constantly dry
managed to stockpile enough goods to be in top 25% but i don't think we'll past tier 3
>>
>>430530
>>430668
If nothing else, it's a good feeling to get your name attached for later CMDRs to find
>>
File: kek_cmdr.png (245 KB, 389x457)
245 KB
245 KB PNG
>>448817
>brought 12K cooling units out here on my carrier
>originally intended to secure myself the 2nd 6A FSD and fleece coloniafags for the rest
>mfw 12K was enough to get in the top 10
>decide to deliver it all myself
So what should I name the megaship?
>>
>log in after months
>I'm in Colonia
oh no....
>>
>>450158
Epstein's Yacht
Temple of Kek
can't think of anything else
>>
>>450158
>check stats
>contributions/hr peak at 42K in the last couple hours as everyone shows up with carriers full of shit
>>
>wake up
>CG is over
>>
File: chemo.png (155 KB, 248x422)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
Topical.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (116 KB, 1920x1080)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
View spoiler at your own risk.
>>
Wish this game had actual content
In terms of visuals and audio its the best space sim ever made, neutron stars still scare me shitless even tho I made the journey to colonia with them
But in terms of content the game is pretty dry, nothing feels meaningful, I don't feel like I'm having an impact on the game
>>
File: Spoiler Image (167 KB, 1920x1080)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>450704
>>
File: oWo.png (230 KB, 957x383)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
>>450158
If you want to be autistic something that will pass the filters like
>Terry Davis Temple
Elite is more allowing than most though, for example they allowed there to be a carrier named Adolf Tritler so you can get creative. Or depending on your affiliations, you could go another route calling it 'pristine ps4'
>>
what's the best ship for turrets only?
i want to broadside other ships with high yield shells
>>
>>450720
T10 my beloved
>>
>>452467
Turrets are terrible and a waste of everything
>>
>>452633
one of my biggest gripes with elite combat
I'm buying a corvette, not a 300m lenght fighter.
I want to let my guns loose at everything around me.
why even have turrets in the game if they are gonna be this bad.
>>
>>452849
There are good ways to use turrets in some niche builds, like a single oc mc w/corrosive, but by the time you learn what they are you wont be interested in using 'all turrets' so its easier to just say avoid them entirely. As far as buying a corvette everyone wants one but reality is they aren't that good for much other than fighting npc in combat zones with gimballed lasers which is a late game bgs type activity. Far better off going for a Imperial Cutter as your first big ship it has many uses from combat to mining to cargo hauling.
>>
Is this normal? I've only been playing the game for a week so I haven't experienced this before. I just got the most lucrative cargo job I have gotten so far in the game, about 15 minutes before the current big server outage. I sourced the materials necessary for the job, and the servers went down right after I had bought them. I was given the materials, I was charged the credits, the servers went down, and now that I finally got back in after half an hour, I still have all the stuff but the fucking mission I bought all that stuff for was removed from my list. How can the server maintain progress recorded right after it went down, and lose progress 15 minutes prior to the outage?
>>
>>450979
>tfw you can’t view these dank future cat memes
>>
what the game needs right now
>player faction odyssey bases
>player trading
>middle finger emote
>better frames
all would be good in the world
>>
>>453660
Welcome to Elite, this should not have happened. There is such a steep learning curve to the game, part of its appeal, that after playing one week I can make a confident guess that something else happened causing you to lose, fail, or abort the mission instead of it being a server glitch that lost it. This isn't calling you stupid, it's expected. It takes a long time, months or years even, to really grasp everything that is going on in the galaxy and how it works.
>>
File: fine.png (82 KB, 487x142)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>finish out a new rapid fire laser disco build
>try it out on some wanted schmuck out front the port
>discover the hard way that at some point they removed the cooldown on fines so you get fined for every single shot fired
>check transaction panel
>total 155K in NFZ fines
>20 minutes later pic related is still popping up
>>
>>454704
nigga just fly to a nav beacon or RES site
>>
File: rapid fire g5.gif (510 KB, 324x216)
510 KB
510 KB GIF
>>454705
I entirely expected *A* fine and this fat bastard of a pirate in a T-10 was right there as a punching bag.
>mfw my lasers fired 800 times in less than 15 seconds
>>
>>453660
That's not normal. I've never had it wipe a mission on me before but I've heard a few people say its happened to them once.
Lucrative sourcing missions aren't that hard to come by once you know what conditions to look for.
* The best missions are available when you're at allied rep with all the factions in a system.
* Avoid negative BGS states like war. Neg states all reduce the number of trade missions available in favor of other types. Boom or None are best. Expansion is okay.
* The higher the value of the goods the better, and ports never request the same stuff they produce.
* Wing missions for the highest value goods often have quotas so low you can do them solo in a single run in a Cutter or T9. But since they're wing missions you can make up to 50mil x 4 for each one if you're winged up and sharing them.
* When you find a system with good BGS states don't fuck it up by doing things that could shift them toward negative.
>>
If there is any person reading this now, join bounty hunting multicrew. I need people to party with and now. Get in.
>>
So now that JWE2 is out and flopped, is the dev team that was totally still working on Elite and not JWE2 now suddenly talking about Elite again? Would like to know when the unreleased Thargoid surface stuff is coming.
>>
>>455163
They have Warhammer and FPS game (60% chance it is JP survival) in development. Warhammer audience is pretty big so dev team need to fuck them first.
>>
>>454709
what build
i wanna try some meme builds later
>>
>>454709
seconding this >>456396
>>
>>454704
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6aAo99Eo6E
This poster said it was a disco build which implies it's an AFK ship. In general, the first combat ship you should build is an FDL while avoiding meme builds until you either get good or have surplus credits and materials.
>>
>>454279
It ended up actually being a server glitch and not simple player ignorance. The mission appeared back into my list after an hour or so. In other words, the mission registered, I was able to obtain the goods, the server crashed, and it took a long time for the mission data to be fetched back from the server. Just like it sometimes takes ages just to open mission menus.
>>
Is there any way to compensate for this apparent hardware flaw? My old flight stick can no longer reach anywhere near the x-axis maximum, so any input to that direction is diminished. It can only reach ~200/225 My ship rolls to the right at half speed because of it. Naturally, calibration does nothing because it's calibration, and that is just for show in Windows. It doesn't actually save any settings or affect the way the input device functions. I opened up the stick and the x-axis potentiometer turns just fine with the tilt. It just produces values between 0 and 200 instead of 0 and 255.
>>
>>458390
Joystick curves
>>
File: untitled.png (31 KB, 1029x776)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>458777
So can it do something like this? Make the game's input system think that 127 to 200 is the same length as 0 to 127, so when the controller outputs a range of 127 to 200, the game actually gets 127 to 255?
>>
>>458830
Yeah, it's exactly for that, you'll just need to tweak the curve so it works for your case
>>
>>458832
Is it game-specific or is it a universal emulation that takes over the standard input system of the joystick? Because I would like to be able to use it for TIE Fighter as well.
>>
Well, I tried Joystick Curves and it didn't work. The X potentiometer of the stick is just too broken to produce any useful data. The Y component produces a nice linear output but the X is all over the place so any remapping will just amplify that inaccuracy. It's also weird, when the 78% physical is mapped to correspond to 100% virtual, the output rises as smoothly as it can to 100%, but after a certain point it seems to give up and begins to directly map the physical to the virtual again, so a full tilt of the stick goes back to 78%. Even worse, if 0% pitch is added, the roll maximum falls down even farther than 78% to something closer to 65%. In other words, something in the internal workings of the stick is inperceptibly loose in a way that causes the axes to interfere on top of the X axis being unable to reach its maximum.
Time to throw this stick in the trash and hope that a 140€ HOTAS doesn't have literal built-in planned obsolescence.
>>
>>458834
You need to install the vjoy driver or whatever that was called, it just does translation between stick and game so shoud work for any game
>>
>>458952
Oh, looks like it's properly fucked then, curves works great for tweaking deadzones etc, if you're getting erratic output yeah, shame
>>
>>458952
My CH stick developed a scratchy pot after around 10 years but a quick blast of deoxit in the pot fixed it right up.
>>
File: untitled.png (1.12 MB, 737x750)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>459499
Well, I don't think I'll be doing any further maintenance on mine, because I've already attempted a fix once due to Logitech's planned obsolescence triggering right after warranty, just as they planned. That little plastic piece there at the end of the potentiometer in the picture, that keeps the structure level as the tilting table rotates the X potentiometer. It's intentionally constructed out of plastic that is about five times thinner than it reasonably can be in that space, and it's carved in half down the middle to make it even easier to break. The force exterted on it in normal use is along the axis of the breaking bend. They basically did everything they could to ensure that regular intended use of the product quickly breaks an essential part from simple wear so you would have to buy a new product.
>>
Okay, now I've got a new flight stick. Of course Elite threw a fit and forced me to rebind literally everything even on the keyboard just because the stick is different. One mystery remains, though. For some reason, now there is no longer raw mouse input in mouse look. The mouse power curve option does absolutely nothing. It's still smoothed to hell and back and it's nauseating.
>>
>460128
Nevermind. Spoke too soon. I forgot that there are two menus for mouse settings.
>>
finally got the stupid sexy blue hair bitch shield grind done
now to wait for thursday
>>
i havent played this game in years and reading this thread it seems like im not missing out
this game makes me so sad - there was so much potential there but its just boring
once the novelty of flight wore off the most fun thing to do was the combat demo
i cant believe they added some dumb fps shit but you still have no ship interiors and the world is still a lifeless clipboard of copy paste blobs
>>
>>462892
Is there a game that has all that you mentioned?
>>
>>462932
not that i know of but what do you mean since i didnt mention a lot
i loved flying in elite dangerous its just there was never anything worth flying around because its all the same so you just autopilot from a to b to c to grind
at least, thats what it was, i would love to be told im wrong
>>
Does being in a shadow affect heat buildup in silent mode? For example if I park behind an asteroid so it obscures a nearby star, do I accumulate less heat?
>>
>>421855
Make powerplay work like mount&blade warband with territory shifts, big old fleet battles to facilitate said shifts, joining a faction and climbing the ranks for monies and power
Would also need to completely rework combat, and make it so you can have more than 10 player ships in a single instance.
>>
>>421855
Hyperdrive lock precision is inversely proportional to the planned jump distance. Anything more than half of your maximum jump distance can only lock onto the most massive body of the target system. Half or less and it can lock onto other stars of a multiple star system as well. This does not detract from any gameplay-relevant aspect of supercruise travel and only cuts down on complete waste of time.
>>
>>463682
Yes but actually no.
Shade does affect heat but ships are so resistant to radiant heat that you won't see any difference unless maybe the star itself has an asteroid ring in close proximity and even then it won't be much.
It's way more noticeable on foot where shade can dump the temp on your space suit by over a hundred degrees on hotter planets.
>>
>>464316
>It's way more noticeable on foot where shade can dump the temp on your space suit by over a hundred degrees on hotter planets.
I assume that's with an atmosphere? In a vacuum being in shade should just dissapate heat through black body radiation since nothing can conduct except through your boots. It's like being inside a coffee thermos.
>>
>>464338
What gives you that idea? If the surface is hot, the entire landscape is radiating at ambient. Hiding from the star behind a rock helps but that rock and all the ground around you is still baking your ass with whatever the surface temp is.
>>
>>464348
Yeah I suppose you're right. I was thinking about a much larger shade.
>>
I still don't quite understand how you're supposed to navigate an asteroid mining cluster. In full 3d space with such a narrow field of view, how do you keep track of which rocks you've visited? You can't even properly use your prospector limpets to mark rocks that you've mined because nothing shows up on your radar when you get beyond finger poking distance. Also, is the scanner only supposed to distinguish surface and sub-surface deposits, and not distinguish between minable and depleted asteroids? And why do the missiles do jack shit?
Why are there so many questions? Why does it seem like nothing about mining has been developed fully?
>>
>>464532
Clusters are shit. You mine in ring systems in which case they're so vast that you just pick a landmark and keep going till you're full.
Also the missiles work fine what are you on about?
>>
NEW SHIPS WHEN!
WHAT AM I GONA USE ALL THIS PAINITE MINING FOR IF I CAN'T BUY NEW SHIPS!
>>
>>464667
never, you'll use your 84 billion credits for carrier upkeep
>>
>>464532
The pulse wave analyzer shows asteroids with surface, subsurface, and core deposits, with the latter glowing brightest. The subsurface missiles put out a ton of material if you do it right, holding the missile button until the right detonation moment. The problem is anything that shows up in subsurface deposits is generally not worth your time, so stick with core mining if you're not going laser mining.
>>
>>464708
>holding the missile button until the right detonation moment.
Well that was my problem with them. I tried different timings until I ran out and nothing ever emerged from the rock. About 30 tries in a row and nothing. I guess it must be pretty precise, by the frame or something.
>>
>>464715
You hold it until the blue bars on the track at the bottom left. If you have trouble, you can wait for a wider one. If it says "successful" and nothing came out, it was probably bugged.
>>
>>464718
Okay, I figured out what the problem is. I decided to actually read the manual and apparently there is supposed to be a screen that opens up on the bottom left panel and for me it never does. Are there asteroid fissures that make the missiles automatically fail so the drill view doesn't even open up at all? All my missiles do is explode on impact and it doesn't even try to display the internal view.
>>
Alright, apparently there are multiple types of asteroid details and every single one I happened to try the missiles on was randomly the incorrect one so I developed a superstition of dysfunction due to pure bad luck.
>>
File: elite this is fine.png (383 KB, 534x622)
383 KB
383 KB PNG
>>464688
o boy i wan a bloated station, that already is where ever i wanted to place it.
also is the new """"exspantion"""" even close to being worth it??
>>
>>464778
lolno unless you like even worse grind at about a quarter of the usual framerate you'd get in horizons
>>
File: core roid fissure.jpg (100 KB, 666x517)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>464745
Mining lasers are for general surface drilling.
Abrasion blasters are for breaking off concentrated surface deposits.
Sub-surface displacement missiles are for blasting out sub-surface deposits.
The fissures are for seismic charges to blow the whole thing the fuck up.
>>
>>459666
find someone who can 3D print a new one for you
>>
File: neuron activated.jpg (1.09 MB, 1612x1418)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>464950
man going out for black opals, when they actually was Worth it. (still is but getting a really good prise is eh)
>>
Anyone else feel like this game would benefit from a personal travel habits heat map? I've had several common operating areas, and it would be handy if the galaxy map would basically draw paths between the systems there. Eventually you'd have an intuitive visual form of your current neighborhood and navigation would no longer even need the reading of text.
>>
File: is this loss.png (617 KB, 1014x515)
617 KB
617 KB PNG
What kind of bullshit are these communists trying to pull? Who in their right mind would ever want to do a mission for 30 million credits loss?
>>
File: heatMap.png (754 KB, 935x586)
754 KB
754 KB PNG
>>465024
>https://www.edsm.net/
Load your journals here and you can see your own heat map, mine is pic related.
>>
File: 1622736607664.gif (174 KB, 200x213)
174 KB
174 KB GIF
>>464779
can we get a second opinion on this?
>>
>>466358
The state of the game is where it should have been when originally released. It's playable. Players are coming back and steam stats back this up.
>>
File: 1636275406377.png (195 KB, 640x640)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
>>466767
this is NOT a good thing, i'm going out and an mapping the void.
>>
I think I’m addicted to elite. Can’t stop thinking about it all day.
>>
Are there any Fleet Carrier taxi to Colony services? Like for airplanes. I want to travel to Colonia by afking
>>
Why are carrier commodity prices consistently inaccurate on the price listings? I'm always looking at the prices at stations, seeing a carrier having the best price, and when I get to the carrier, it's 2/3rds of the price that was previously listed. Are active players trying to scam others by constantly changing prices so that unthinking players would end up supplying them accidentally on the cheap?
>>
>>466909
>https://discord.gg/fcoc
Fleet Carrier Owners Club
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh3-BWQh1LM
>>
>>466358
The frames are shit but I got to midair scrubs at Gupta Industrial like I was playing Tribes again during the CG so I'll take it.

>>465951
Since they couldn't fix edge cases in the mission generation system that was turning people into billionaires overnight, Frontier instead instituted a 50mil cap for mission payout regardless of what the mission actually entails. It wasn't as big a deal or common to hit the cap before, but since it's based commodity prices, after they rebalanced them (eg: gold went from 7K to 50K) it happens all the time. That particular mission is probably trying to offer way more than that but it gets capped at 50M.

>>466926
Yeah basically. Carrier owners can change prices as often as they like and since they control their own carrier's info on inara they can list whatever they want.
>>
>>467283
Okay so my suspicions were right in both accounts. It does look like an artificial hard cap on reward. Which is kinda pathetic, since the only piece of code necessary to fix it would be to see if the "projected price of acquisition" -variable is a larger integer than the reward variable. It would be almost as trivial to implement a minimum projected¨profit margin, by ensuring that the number isfor example at least 25% larger. Only missions that meet that specification should be generated.
Well, at least the commodity price scam isn't waterproof. Just idiot proof. I have often managed to sell my commodities for the ridiculously inflated price that they list when attempting to lure in unsuspecting suppliers, before they managed to sink the price for the actual transaction.

Question. The base game lists settled bodies, and even shows the settlements. The base game also features commodities that are only produced in those settlements, and missions even require you to acquire them. Ships are equipped with planetary approach suites that do not function. Am I to understand that Horizons is essentially a piece of on-disc DLC, since apparently the ONLY feature that isn't enabled when the player does not have Horizons, is the actual ability to land on planets?
>>
>>467295
Everybody has Horizons since they rolled it into the base game. If you can't approach a planet with settlements on it you either don't have the approach suite installed or it's an Odyssey-only atmospheric world. But there shouldn't be anything trying to send you to Odyssey settlements in the first place if you're playing on the Horizons client.
>>
>>466840
>Can’t stop thinking about it all day.
it'll wear away after a few months.
>>
>>467307
It's just that I can't even waypoint the settlements on the map to be able to navigate to them. The navigation blip disappears as soon as I close the map screen, and it's not possible to fly any closer to a moon once I drop out of supercruise in orbit. Is that because I'm launching "Elite Dangerous" in the launcher, and not "Horizons"?
>>
>>467327
Yeah if you launch without Horizons then the Horizons-based content is disabled.
>>
Hey, is it possible to anticipate which kind of ship modules are sold in some star systems based on which kind of commodities appear to be traded on the trade map? For example, if a system seems to export foodstuffs, it's probably agricultural and is not likely to have combat hardware? If they import rare elements, there might be factories producing high end engines?
>>
>>467426
AFAIK only size impacts the amount of modues offered, economy didn't seem to have any
>>
>>464006
Personally, I wished it worked like an MMO and the world is forced to house all players within it simultaneously.
Though I understand that there are definite technical limitations and that achieving this is not feasible.
>>
>>464079
So essentially the further away the target system is the greater the gravitational well of the locked body must be in order to jump successfully?
>>
File: liam-keating-shp3-106.jpg (548 KB, 1920x1080)
548 KB
548 KB JPG
>>429240
Same, he makes some cool stuff
>>
>>467443
It means that the further away the target system is, the more difficult it is for the navigation computer to find any target that isn't the most massive object of that system. So with long jumps you have no choice but to jump to the most massive star. With short trips you can target a less massive star of a binary system. With a good frame shift drive, a trip to Proxima Centauri would take ten seconds from Sol through hyperspace, instead of fucking two hours from Alpha Centauri in supercruise.
>>467433
That's not what I mean. Different markets offer different goods. It's more likely to find an outfitter that doesn't sell passenger cabins than it is to find one that does. Ship hulls also seem to be something that only half the stations sell. I'm trying to figure out if the type of imported/exported goods can help determine the system's economy, and if that economy can hint at the potential ship outfitting market of that area.
>>
>>467459
I know what you mean as exported/imported goods depend on economy, outfitters are random with just bigger inventory in more populated systems (to get a new cabin when was doing tourist tours had to go 50ly to some random industrial system as that was closest with that size etc) though it could've changed as that was 2 years ago
>>
>>467476
That's pretty lame if they're completely random. No wonder I've been confused by "hacking" missions. Apparently I have literally never seen a single station that sells hacking limpet controllers.
>>
>>467459
>>467538
It's not that random. Economy has a strong impact as does population size.
High tech tends to have more and higher end equipment. Agri tends to be a poor source for gear even with high pop.
>I have literally never seen a single station that sells hacking limpet controllers.
They call them "recon" limpets. Industrial/Hightech tend to have them.
>>
>>468111
Okay, I was just confused because apparently you still need to use a different scanner to be able to use a recon limpet.
Another question about missing modules though... Do fighter hangar modules only appear in the shop when you are currently flying a compatible ship? I've had some big ships but perhaps not ones that fit fighters, and no matter how big a module I'm shopping for, there hasn't been a single instance of fighter hangar modules on sale.
>>
I just finished giving up approximately 5% into a trip that I severely underestimated and the whole ordeal ended up being close to 10,000 lightyears there and back. I ended up getting my name on at least 50 star systems, rose three ranks in exploration and got paid 38 million for the maps.
A weird thing is that I could plot out the initial trip in one try, but I had to cut the return sightseeing detour into small chunks because trips constantly failed to calculate if they were over 30 jumps.
>>
how is odyssey? Still suck ass?
>>
File: 1629481543263.png (3.25 MB, 3840x2160)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB PNG
Soon.
>>
>>468219
You must be playing in Horizons mode or they won't show up at all.
They're also uncommonly found at industrial or high tech starports and only if the port sells at least one ship capable of equipping them.
On the other hand military planetary ports almost always have them.
>>
>>469210
Nah, I was playing vanilla, with Horizons installed without my knowledge. I thought that you need to buy all expansions separately. Apparently when you do that, all Horizons features are enabled except the ability to actually land on bodies. The menu doesn't say Horizons, markets don't list surface settlements, you don't get Engineer invites, but surface-exclusive commodities are still assigned as requirements for source&return missions even though the planetary approach suite doesn't work.
>>
>>469142
have they said anything about fixing the atrocious performance yet? game still runs like shit
>>
>>469326
They gave Horizons to everyone for free
>>
>>469465
Yeah. I didn't know that, so I just kept launching the vanilla game from the menu. The point is that when you launch vanilla, there are still some lingering Horizons features enabled, like missions that require Horizons-exclusive items without the means to go get them. There is no reason to launch vanilla, except ignorance. And I was inflicted with that.
>>
Is there a list of NPC messages and their implications somewhere? I'm trying to figure out why Alliance Enforcers are threatening me with piracy raids? Aren't they supposed to be the police of the system? I'm allied with the superpower, and every time there are enforcers around a nav buoy that I'm scanning, they scan me to figure out if they can rob me.
>>
>>469142
>yay a feature that we already have in Horizons and Ody alpha is coming soon!
Why was this shit disabled in the first place?
Also they really need to fix the fucking autoexposure. It gets so bad sometimes I feel like I'm playing with shadows off.
>>
how long is the grind to get anti thargoid weapons? I stopped playing when I heard engineered weapons couldn't kill the aliens.
>>
I think I just ruined the wonder of discovery for myself by messing with the filters in the galaxy map. You can just set it to display the rarest celestial objects only and beeline towards all the black holes and neutron stars you like. I bet the long-range explorers who first discovered this immediately went to put their names on all of them.
>>
>>470673
>how long is the grind to get anti thargoid weapons?
Very quick once you realize the ONLY guardian modules you need are the Gauss and the FSD booster. Literally everything else, especially all the anti-caustic module syou'd think would be important, is worse than engineered stuff. Oh, and also get the launchers to fight the thargons.
>>
>>469640
Like most things in Elite, this has nothing to do with anything. Those are police looking for criminals, and they will say the same thing regardless of who you're allied with or not.

This game in general is absolute ASS at having proper reactivity, so you could be a max reputation, max-ranked member of the Federation/Empire and a max ranked member of whatever Power controls the system, and the security will still treat you like a random fuckface.
>>
Did Odyssey really fuck over the graphics?
Thinking about revisiting but don't want to if everything looks like shit now.
>>
>>470811
I just think that the message itself is incorrect, because they're saying stuff like "You have nothing I want" -implying that they want to rob you, and not earn a bounty.
Speaking of bounties, is it normal for a perfectly executed interdiction to cause damage on the interdictor? I drop the target and I take 1-2% of hull damage while dropping to intercept.
>>
For those who have played this game for a long time, how many years has the flaw of collection limpets remained unadressed? Their AI is too stupid to avoid fatal collisions and their health is binary. You can't have both in a game. Either the AI needs to be fixed so they can avoid running into slowly and predictably revolving asteroids that are trivial to avoid, or they need to be made more durable so it doesn't matter that their AI is shit at doing its job.
>>
>>470799
The guardian module reinforcement points are good, if only because you can't engineer the human version
>>
wtf did I imagine it? There was a galaxy map category that allowed me to list star systems based on whether I own mapping data of them or not. Now the category is nowhere to be found. Now there's just "visited/not visited" -when I'm sure that yesterday I was looked at "cartography -have data / don't have data"
>>
>>470673
The only weapons you need are gauss cannons and there's only 2 unlocks to do to get both sizes. Plasma chargers are useless and shards are only for instagib memes. Flak and neutralizers can just be bought and engineered human modules > guardian ones.
Guardian module reinforcements have slightly more HP than human ones because of no engineering but they need power or they stop providing protection even with hp left.
Guardian FSD booster is a nice quality of life thing but no use in combat.

>>469640
>>470811
Alliance enforcers are not police. They're powerplay thugs working directly for Mahon rather than the government. They don't actually care about trade commodities and will ignore shit like gold. They're scanning you for powerplay goods like propaganda that could undermine them or fortify their enemies.

>>470678
The area around the core is so packed with stellar remnants that it's physically impossible for all of them to have been visited already.

>>470929
>is it normal for a perfectly executed interdiction to cause damage on the interdictor? I drop the target and I take 1-2% of hull damage while dropping to intercept.
Yes. Anytime you drop out of supercruise above the safe disengage speed you'll take damage. That goes for both you and the guy you're interdicting. You can actually kill your target from the interdiction alone if they're at like 1% and you pull them down at high speed.
>>
File: 4u.png (47 KB, 417x102)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>470811
It's more nuanced than you realize. Pirates in the systems I regularly BH are scared shitless of me and usually try to run after they scan me and find out who I am.
>>
File: monstertech.jpg (11 KB, 263x187)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>434142
Got you covered senpai.
>>
>471006
Okay, now it's getting spooky. I'm looking at the maps again, and now the cartographic data section is in there. Why did it disappear?
>>
Does massacre stacking still work?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.