[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 40 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


[Advertise on 4chan]


File: piracy.png (11 KB, 403x158)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
> be me
> be pirate
> commit piracy on another pirate
> they have some good loot on board
> other pirate crew complains about pvp in their pvp game

Do people just not understand the literal nautical definition of piracy? It's a pirate game, I'm going to kill you.
>>
>faggot complains about pvp in their pvp game
Literally every "open" PvP game ever. People only like ganking when they're the ones doing it, same goes for piracy.
>>
Two different angles to it
1) Might not be relevant to this scenario, but there is room to complain when player interaction boils down to treating each other like Skeleton Ships. Saying "dude it's a pirate game, what do you expect" is disingenuous when the game has way more systems beyond just raw PvP, more ways to interact than just sinking each other, and different purposes for loot beyond just cash
2) Yea no shit people are gonna complain that they've lost their loot. That's time spent down the drain, and like mentioned above, it's not like your only choice was to take their loot, so of course they're gonna be mad about it. Why are you so surprised that stealing people's shit isn't gonna be taken with a smile? That's just part and parcel of the piracy
>>
>>362094
There's no progression in the game at all. The only reason you have to do PVE is to farm cosmetics. By the time people are actively engaging in piracy, they have the cosmetics they need and thus have no reason for the loot you're carrying. Basically meaning that it's just griefing for the sake of it rather than any actual reward.
This upsets people.
>>
>>362094
people crying about pvp so much is what makes pvp so funny
>>
>>363137
>Time spent down the drain
Yeah, it's called video games you insufferable fag
>>
>>363251
Go fuck yourself. There's obviously a difference in how people value their time being wasted or else we'd all be content with staring at a fukken wall for hours. Within the context of the game, it's time and effort being invalidated unless you actively enjoy the experience of having your shit stolen, which isn't the situation being describe. Pretending otherwise or trying to write it all off is being a disingenuous faggot.
>>
>>363271
>Muh perception
Nobody cares. Git gud faggot. You will never be a woman
>>
>>363140
>This upsets people.
No it really doesn't given that the game is as popular as ever. It upsets you that people have fun in a game rather than """"prgoressing"""" through some artificial progression system that doesn't actually reward the player anything outside of feeling like they have to log in and play less they miss out on something.
>>
>>363140
So by that logic, if loot is essentially worthless, and there's no real progression for PVE, then why do PVE, and why not just do PVP for the sake of fun? If we stick by that, people I sink shouldn't fucking care about their loot, since they weren't progressing anyways
The argument of it takes time makes sense, but so does PVP, which apparently I see so many people say it doesn't.
>>
>>364477
Not him but
>then why do PvE
>people I sink shouldn't fucking care about their loot
Even if loot can be considered functionally worthless (though he's wrong since cashing in does unlock better voyages), people care about completion. The PvE content is fun enough to do in its own right and the cashing in of what you find is what signals completion of the activity to the player, so losing that loot can be seen as failing right before the finish line. It's like losing a Deep Dive in Deep Rock right before you get in the drop pod, except another group of players made it happen.
>the argument that it takes time makes sense, but so does PvP
It's not comparable at all. Ambushing a player after they've completed a vault, a series of voyages, a skeleton fleet, or so on is a significantly smaller time investment compared to the content they were doing, especially since you can ambush such players by complete happenstance. Even if you want to make the argument that PvP takes time, given that some naval battles can go on for a while, then you have to contend with the fact that the people you're ambushing have the investment of both PvE AND PvP time on their end.

It's definitely the fault of Rare for still failing to give any bonuses to people doing PvE content that ward off attackers. I think that's the biggest thing that draws ire from the player, because like said above, they're objectively doing twice the work of any attacker without any return on that time and effort, as the attacker can often just be some goober that stumbled onto their ship in open waters without risking any loot themselves. The only thing they've done is grant emissary grade level when they've fended off a Reaper Bones emissary, but that's a small fraction of the people coming after your loot.
>>
I wish theyd add new cursed chests to go alongside curses and viceversa

like a watery curse to match the chest of sorrows
a cursed ink chest that blinds the holder when its held
and a legendary cursed chest that occasionally phases through wood levels
so if you put in on your top deck on a galleon itll phase into the second, then the bottom, and then into the water

the cursed chests are the coolest thing in this game
also a curse to match the barnacle chests just cause theyre a cool concept as well
>>
>>366758
>A cursed chest that rolls your sails up at random.
>A cursed chest that randomly drops your anchor (lets see how many of those get turned in lol)
>A cursed chest that always turns the wind against your sails.
>Cursed chest that poisons anyone who gets close like they got bit by a snake (could be actually useful against boarders)
>Redo the drunken chest so that the entire crew gets puking drunk as long as the chest is on board the ship.
>>
>>363137
I'd only get mad about it if the players that took it had an unfair advantage, like a sloop vs a galleon that gets the jump on them or pc vs console players.
>>
>>366777
cursed chests usually only effect manageable things on the ship or when you hold it
>A cursed chest that rolls your sails up at random.
one of the less bad ones but I cant see this being thematic in any way
>A cursed chest that randomly drops your anchor (lets see how many of those get turned in lol)
awful
>A cursed chest that always turns the wind against your sails.
literally impossible since wind isnt a per-ship thing, unless you mean it turns the sails against the wind either way not good and also no way to thematically add it
>Cursed chest that poisons anyone who gets close like they got bit by a snake (could be actually useful against boarders)
lame cause its just a snake thats turned into the gold hoarders, if it just randomly pukes on you instead thatd make use of a mechanic already in the game
>Redo the drunken chest so that the entire crew gets puking drunk as long as the chest is on board the ship.
again lame that it just reuses something and not even something interesting

Ill give you one thats actually interesting and reuses a mechanic, a chest of gluttony
its a glowing chest with a set value of like 10k, periodically it will start making a noise and you have to feed it otherwise it starts to lose its value and when you hold it at its base value its slow to carry and you cant jump but if it loses value it lets you carry it around faster and jump, a tradeoff money vs maneuverability
makes use of the pig mechanic and the broken legs in a thematic way

anyway the game has some random cool mechanics that go underused because of the low value surrounding them, the snakes and pigs are the biggest examples but theres also little shit that could easily be made into a simlle chest or new addition to current ones
imagine if you could soothe the chest of sorrow with a song or getting drunk naturally makes you walk straight when you carry the chest of a thousand grogs
the only good one is the chest of rage since you can agitate it and cool it down
>>
>>366820
better still
since all of the cursed chests are turned into the gold hoarders make some for the other companies
I already thought up one for athena
turn that chest of gluttony instead into a skull of gluttony, thematically it makes more sense for it to be able to eat
if its value gets reduced it goes from 2 handed with a cripple effect, to 2 handed without a cripple effect, to 1 handed and eventually into something you can hold like a consumable

the only hard one to think up for is the merchants since theyre the least mystical thing on the seas
hell their item is a manifesto and its nothing notable
>>
>>366758
>Chest of the Kraken's Maw
Chest that's wrapped in tentacles and has a octopus mouth on it. Periodically spits ink your eyes that has to be washed off
>Mutinous Chest of Curses
Bearded chest with an eyepatch. Every so often, the eyepatch lifts up and it prepares the cannon on its backside, which will then afflict the ship with a random purple curse (except for Rigging and Anchor) unless it is whacked with your sword before then
>Chest of Jolly Good Times
Chest with an afro and popped collar. Sets the ships lanterns to burn bright and flicker and plays loud jamming tunes to notify everyone on the see where the party is. At the height of the party, it starts to rock the boat to the point that water can be let in. Can be danced with or given grog to assuage the curse for a bit.
>Chest of the Bombardier
Burnt chest with a semi-toothy grin that sets your cannons to automatically fire after a few seconds. If there's nothing in the cannons for it to launch, it'll start tossing out blunderbombs in an ill-advised attempt to blow shit up and help.
>Chest of Gluttonous Hunger
Big toothy chest that periodically starts to hunger. If not given food, it starts taking bites out of the hull.
>Chest of the Big Jerk
Does nothing to hurt your ship, but it'll say a lot of mean things, like saying you have no friends if you're a solo slooper
>>
File: unfired pistol.png (628 KB, 623x410)
628 KB
628 KB PNG
>>366827
You can't really make "chests" for other factions because the Gold Hoarders are the only ones with keys to the chests out there. Though, as explained in Athena's Fortune, the pirate lord should give out voyages to find cursed artifacts and the likes. There's already some interesting ones out in the world, like the pair of Unfired Pistols
>>
File: 23453.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>362094
>Getting PvP sunk in SoT
>Not just sinking them
>Not turning tail for a 2 hour goose chase while they get butthurt because they can't land chains
>Not just farming in Devil's Roar where basically no PvP happens
>Not just keeping a fucking eye out
>>
File: 979431.png (373 KB, 708x404)
373 KB
373 KB PNG
>>363137
>>363140
The entire game is built from the top down to create drama through player interaction. If someone is salty for being sunk, then they can only blame themselves because they signed up for this shit. The game has been worked in about a 100 different ways to incentivize even more PvP drama.

>Massive loot multiplier to loot hoard thanks to the emissary system
>Cursed cannon balls made to fuck with ships/crews, many of which only work on players
>There is a faction the exists entirely for the purpose of stealing loot & sinking emissaries
>Public events are advertised to the whole world
etc etc post is already too long
>>
>>367050
You're still failing to understand the situation here. You rattling off this list shows that you're not grasping what's being said, as you're working off the assumption that these players who get salty over being sunk are oblivious to the situation or the nature of the game. People know what might happen as soon as they start sailing around and carrying loot, but that doesn't change that it's reasonable to have the reaction that you're complaining about

Best I can boil it down to is two things
1) Think about what you're saying when you're talking about drama through player interaction and what things like carrying a high emissary grade and participating in world events entail; there wouldn't be drama if the parties involved didn't actively want to avoid being sunk. You've got it the complete wrong way around: those things aren't reasons for players to be blasé about being sunk, they're things that wouldn't function as they do if players weren't salty about being sunk. Otherwise people would just play Arena or switch over to Blackwake
2) Even though players expect to be attacked and the like, that doesn't change the fact that the other player has agency and chooses to be the aggressor. You want to say the game is built from top to bottom for drama through player interaction, but that doesn't change the fact that the game still offers a ton of different ways to play it, and a sink-and-loot is only one of many different ways that such player interaction can pan out. Combined with the above fact that the game hinges on not wanting to be sunk, it's perfectly understandable for them to call you a cunt for making that choice.
>>
>>366912
thats why I specificed that it was a skull
another could be a cursed crate of wind that negates the effect if havibg the wind at your sails
>>
File: ca1.png (115 KB, 1800x1578)
115 KB
115 KB PNG
>>367067
>to have the reaction that you're complaining
Listen, no one is stopping anyone from being angry or frustrated. But if I join a game with a loosing state and I get emotional because lost then that is my problem. We all consented to this.

Only if the other players are breaking the rules/hacking/cheating can we really blame them.

Sure, call the devs shit in the case of nuanced problems like bugs, bad balance, etc, but you jump the shark if you complain about a core concept to the game that's functioning as intended.

I'm not even sure what you're even proposing be changed here. Are you suggesting we punish players for sinking each other? Are you suggesting they rework the base experience? The game has a pretty shallow PvE experience when it's in a bubble, what do to fix that?
>>
>>367081
Alright, you're still not grasping it and you're starting to get lost in your own head instead of picking up what other people are laying down. It's a twofold thing: first you're not grasping the structure of the game with how simply you're trying to boil it down to, but more importantly, the point is that getting mad is part of the experience. This is where your own poor preconceptions are getting in the way of your comprehension, because no, people complaining about it doesn't mean that they want it to be changed. They're complaining about it just like they would complain about losing any other video game; the only difference in this is that the aggressor actively has to choose to change things into a PvP scenario, but they're still not discounting that part of the game either.

The reason this is all being brought up is because of people like you and OP that treat it like this incredulous thing to complain about when the game is designed and hinges upon players having such complaints, especially in the case of OP who doesn't comprehend the game and wants to stop hearing people complain about getting their shit stolen. If you can't handle that people voice wanting to avoid getting pirated when the definition of piracy is taking shit when people don't want you to, then that's your problem. Expecting people to not complain and to not dislike it goes against the core concepts of piracy.
>>
>>367110
So your point is "People get mad at things, expect people to be mad".

And you couldn't just say that?

Why was it even worth mentioning in the first place? It's so elemental and essential to understand people that it's fucking confusion, that you'd even bring it up.

Likewise, do you not understand that your own "argument" can be countered in equivalency by stating that "People get mad at people being mad"? Like, you've never been tired of people bitching about the same things ad Infinium?

Not only is your choice of point confusing, but the way you communicate it attempts to make it more important than it actually is. You own methods of communication actually trip backwards and just comes off as weirdly out of touch.
>>
>>367120
>why was it even worth mentioning in the first place
Because OP didn't get it
>and you couldn't just say that
Because apparently OP didn't get it without explanation
>it's fucking confusion that you'd even bring it up
Right, which is what makes OP's thread so incredulous
>can be countered in equivalency by stating that people get mad at people being mad
Right but that isn't relevant to the thread we're in. It's not being mad at people being mad, it's OP being mad thinking that they have no leg to stand on to begin with.

Do you even know what thread you're in right now?
>>
new invite in case you need a krusty krew
https://discord.gg/pyuzV8qn5m
>>
File: 1622536606220.png (1.68 MB, 1598x992)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
Pledge allegiance to the channel flag
>>
The only thing I don't like about PvP in this game is the constant boarding that turns into jumping shotgun matches ala Gears of War 2. It's not really about ship battles most of the time for me, it's about killing the same guy over and over coming up a ladder or chasing him around deck as he bunny hops. I wish there was a bigger penalty for falling overboard.
>>
>>367450
>I wish there was a bigger penalty for falling overboard
I dunno, it feels decent enough already, but I just say that someone who solo sloops and gets fucked by one cannon ball knocking me off and losing everything before I can get back to a mermaid. I'd say the solution would be to give players more ways to attack those in the water rather than directly limiting their ability to get back on board.

My suggestion would be to add Oil as a new mechanic. It can be ignited on the water to create a fire trap/wall, warding off other ships and burning people in the water. Players who get doused in oil get painted black and stand out in the water, and they either ignite on-hit or take more damage from firebombs. If not that, how about Chum Bucket: players can chum fish in order to attract skeleton sharks to the area and be highly aggressive towards any players in the water. Has to actually be fish, not chicken or pork.
>>
such is life in the jianghu
>>
alright Ive got a good set of mix and matched style options for my pirate

now I gotta do it for my ship, there are barely any good options for ship styles
>>
>sea of thieves ships skin pallets BARELY match
>4+ colors plus for EVERY single set
>not only that but more sets are green/teal+black, red/orange+black, or assorted colors + gold all with two or three pieces tossing in a random shade of green, red, or brown
who designs this shit? the ONLY cohesive sets in this without random BS are eternal freedom, ghost, wailing and silent barnacle, and a handful of the twitch drop sets

shits wack
>>
>>362094
If I ever get shot down on SoT I never say anything. I just calm down and hop servers, hopefully find someone who's willing to play along with my merry tunes.
>>
>>366888
all good suggestions
aside from Bombardier
>>
>>367965
>find a good ship setup with nice colors
>doesn't matter because any time you try to use it your crew will sneak on some blacked out bullshit or other "edgy" skin
Rare probably tracks how much each option gets used and saw everyone's picking those washed out tryhard colors, there was a lot more variety and aesthetics in the early ship sets
>>
how the fuck do you find people to play sot with? when I join open crews Im just paired with 10 year olds or people with no mics
>>
>>368298
theres a discord here if you want
>>
>>362094
Pirates went primarily against merchant ships, not heavily armed military or pirate vessels.
Prisoners were also valuable just like any other loot, and it was more profitable to sell them into slavery than to simply kill them, assuming the situation permitted their capture and transport.
>>
add me on discord if you wanna do a brig/galley depending on how many people we get
pjp#1696
>>
>>368624
>>367130
>>
>>368445
>not heavily armed military or pirate vessels
They did if they had more ships, I think it was Blackbeard that had a dozen ships of various sizes and they would go after a big military ship just so he could move up to the bigger ship after they captured it.
>>
its like they forgot in potc literally every character fucked over every other pirate at some point
>>
File: 8978945651.jpg (54 KB, 976x850)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>Be oldfag, pl, pretty good at pvp
>Want to do more Gal/Brig stuff
>Every time I join up with other pirates they're weirdly intense stereotypical post-gg anons
>One of the crew are always constantly seething in an attempt to act like a leader, and will take any excuse to bitch out the crew, even especially if we win

Why the can't you fuckers just relax? It's a children's game about fucking cartoon pirates.
>>
>>368947
you in the discord?
I use to be sloop only till the bug and now I love rolling a gally with the boys
>>
>>368947
gal is just a disaster in general, the only thing I hate is when I ask what dudes want to do since I'm maxed in just about everything and nobody wants to say anything. Gonna get a fishing crew going this weekend hopefully since I'm tired of pvp
>>
>>369625
People like that are either , there to cause grief cause thats whats fun for them in this game or they are looking for a leader to get them on to something. I will never understand why everyone is so reluctant to drop down a voyage when they are so cheap.
>>
I just hate the edgy faggots that only fly reapers and just run around sinking everyone they see regardless of the reward. I'm all for opportunity kills but when all you do in the game is run around ruining other people's fun, you're kind of just a cunt.
>>
>>369881
im all for ruining peoples fun but I need a reward out of it
chasing down an athena emissary to the end is well worth it in my book, giving up to go do some shit event or chase a non-emissary instead is such a waste

every sink needs to have some value to me, theres gotta be a prize at the end otherwise it was a worthless venture
>>
>>369883
I'm mostly a solo player, and I can't even begin to count the number of time's I've been sunk when I had nothing. No chests and no emissary raised. And I know they know because they always board me and take a look. I can normally go toe to toe well enough, but I just get board of being contently chased down when I'm just trying to do a TT or something. I was just finishing a world boss when these level 5 reapers came to "help" me kill the skelly boss and as soon as it was over they sank my ship and then came and sank my ship again after i re-spawned only a few islands away. I even gave them all the loot, I just wanted to get the kill because it was the only one I hadn't killed yet.
>>
File: Screenshot (818).png (2.14 MB, 1920x1080)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB PNG
>>369881
>>369883
>>369889
I concur
Normally when I get chased I let them know I don't have loot and don't attack when they jump to check, I don't even get mad if they kill me first.

Any fag who sees I don't have emissary or loot but camps me and sinks my ship while I'm going to hand in fish or shop, fucking retard. Same for camping me at an outpost while I'm browsing or sitting at the tav
>>
>no Barbossa hat
>no Barbossa costume
>no Jack collector's monkey
>no Davy Jones hat
>no barnacle curse
for what purpose?
>>
>>370032
disney is jewish to the point they lose money to protect their power over the IP, we're lucky we even got the paypig jack sparrow and black pearl stuff
>>
>>370032
>>370153
>I've never been drip-fed content before!!!
fucking retards
Why would they release all of that at once when they didn't even know if it would sell well? Now that they know the Pirates sells well even in Sea of Thieves, they can just drop costume sets every couple of months to rake in maximum profits.
>>
File: unknown.png (99 KB, 772x333)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>wait 35 minutes in queue
>puts me solo in galleon arena
stop
>>
>>370206
>rare
proper drip feed
Barbossa never ever
>>
>>370542
well davey jones ship, costume, monkey, and weapons next
maybe barbosa after?
>>
File: 5123.jpg (491 KB, 1912x1080)
491 KB
491 KB JPG
sweet new tuck spot
>>
>Tucking
>Hiding in a ship for 2 hours for kiddos to clear a fort when you could just sink them and do it in a fraction of the time
le reddit memes? I don't understand zoomers
>>
>>370628
tucking is more fun, not only that actually DOING forts is so boring especially if youve ever genuinely tried to do fort of the damned

either way getting loot while AT THE SAME TIME ruining someones day and taking the reward for their hard work is a great feeling, if you disagree this isnt the game for you and your faggot ass should go back to fortnite
>>
Never forget that to this day zoomers are still complaining about PvP in a game called Grand Theft Auto that simulates a city overrun with crime.
>>
>>362384
Poaching is fun and faggots who can't enjoy it don't belong in open PvP games.
>>
File: 77844523.jpg (92 KB, 976x850)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>370630
>He needs kids to pray on to have fun
>In the same breath says he wants kids to leave the game
>>
>>371040
>need kids
I dont, other players besides kids will always want to do forts for one reason or another, its just that kids are the ones that bitch like you
>>
>game with the shittiest hit reg i've ever seen
>gives you hitmarkers on misses
>no headshots

hehe you faggots take this seriously

>>362094
Ah yes a game with no matchmaking, where it takes hours to build up treasure but I can spend 30 seconds staring at a small table with a wooden ship to figure out whether I should stay in the server or not to kill you. This is literally pubstomp the game, especially when other players don't want to fight you, how do you find that a challenge? hint hint it isn't and you're bad at video games
>>
>>371256
*tl;dr im bad at the game
>>
>>371256
on foot pvp was intended to be a joke with ship combat being the main focus, but CoDkiddies forced them to actively try to fix it so now we have this disaster of throwables and shitty hit reg
>>
>>371258
Not this game probably, games in general. Easy wins improve nothing.

>>371268
>sword lunges behind you

just business lad
>>
>>370357
I know your pain. They need mock combat or target shooting or something to do while you wait besides get drunk and puke or run around in circles. They need a board on the wall where you drop a dagger down and join a ship crew, you get 30 secs to vote out a crew if you need a friend to join and they can put their dagger on another ship instead, that would fill a few ships right away instead of having 12 people divided up between 5 ships and making them wait 30 mins till they fill up.
>>
>>371268
>ship combat being the main focus
Bold words, considering that it's nigh impossible to sink a properly defended ship without boarding and using on-foot PvP
>>
File: 1489432329732.jpg (828 KB, 3000x2119)
828 KB
828 KB JPG
got a reasonable amout of experience doing solo/duo sloop with one of my mates, but we're planning on doing a full 4 man galleon tonight for the first time - any tips?
>>
>>371493
Dont forget to have fun!
>>
>>371388
I meant originally, and sinking with cannons was always easily possible, but it takes more effort to line up a galleon broadside than most of the players are willing to put in
>>
electric flame of fate (have to go out of your way to get it even after the addition of ocean-crawlers)=esteemed order lantern (best standard lighting, model isn't over-designed like the notorious tier)>triumphant sea dog lantern (a bit too bright, the brightness of the flame is a bit of an eyesore>killer whale (a bit dim compared to the others)=other traditional lanterns (comfy yellow/orange light)>>pvp flame>>>>>>>>>any other colour tint
>>
>>371493
there is always some asshole on your boat that isn't in your group, safer to just set everything on fire
>>
>find some edgy all-black brig at anchor
>sink their ship, gun them down, steal their tall tale items
it was a nice day on the seas
>>
>thought pirate legend was the grindiest thing in the game
>then thought it was actually gold curse
>then thought it was hunters call
>then thought it was dark adventures set
>it was actually triumphant sea dog

my god this shit is so slow
>>
>>371222
not same but
>implying anyone but xboxy kiddies fall victim to tucking
If you somehow believe otherwise you are in some serious denial anon
>>
>jump arena servers over and over till I find one with a dude using all 4 glorious sea dog pieces
>keep jumping overboard trying to get kills throwing the game so that he quits
>close the crew
>now I can go for the chest dig and afk for top 3s

ggez Ill get the sea dog shit eventually
>>
>friends never want to get into real pirate fights and fuck with ppl
>tell them too bad and retard rush people anyways
>get our asses kicked(usually 2 times cause we respawn and go again)
>crew gets salty and quits
still haven't finish that pirates of the caribbean shit lmao
>>
>>374043
>playing with dudes who are too scared to fight
deserved
>>
>>373333
>hunters call
you can easily get this up while doing athena shit
>>
>>374656
except the relevant shit is tied behind commendations that require specific fish to be turned in
the levels in hunters call dont do anything
>>
>>374658
>commendations
you need to learn to love yourself and not take that path of pain bro
>>
>>374660
sea of thieves is fun, going for commendations is one of the most fulfilling parts of this game
at least the ones that unlock cosmetics
>>
why doesnt this game let you look directly down?
holy shit this is so fucking stupid for no god damn reason
>>
>>374043
Try playing with an open crew I find they are usually very eager to go after every ship they see to sink it or camp kill the crew, also just as likely to try to sink your own ship but ..
>>
open groups panic so much when you raise the anchor while the sails are up lmao
>>
Holy shit the ledger cannons are all God awful
>>
>>376019
>he tryhards his cannons
but do they shine?
>>
>>376019
Which ones? Merchant is just a reskin of the best cannons in the game.
>>
>>376023
i use the ori set, everything shines
>>
>>376084
All of them, except the merchant I guess (is the only one I haven't seen)
>>
>>376019
>another style-less tryhard
never gonna make it man, your footrags are ugly as shit too
>>
>>376189
>reapers and souls
mess of polygons, look like turds. At least the regular soul's cannons look nice, stylish and tidy while the same cannot be said about any cannon tied to rapers
>tribute cannons
kinda nice skulls are always cool
bit too garish, but that comes with the gold whore territory
too much of the model's polygons are wasted on shit that's hidden that could've been allocated to detailing the skull more
>ambassador
nice, very ceremonial look to them
can't tell if the ribbons are meant to be made of wood with it's brown edge highlights
has a similar issue as default raper cannons where the barrel is white and textured in such a way that it looks like it's made of bone/ivory/wood

sailor cannons
will match any set just because it's wood will change to your hulls colour
stylised, but still looks functional as cannons :-)
>>
>>376288
again its all shitter cope
good player doesnt need tryhard cannons to hit, shit player needs as many advantages as possible or theyll lose and even then theyll just lose anyway
>>
>>376290
all of my post was about appearance, aesthetics and model composition
nothing to do with gayplay
emissary ledger rewards are not hard items to acquire. The only cannon close to taking time to acquire + somewhat proving you're competent are triumphant cannons and they are
a. not really that difficult to get, just a grind which you can go afk for most of it
b. a "tryhard" compact design
>>
>>376296
you cant afk for triumphant sea dog cannons you have to hit 2000 balls on ships
regardless tryharding does not equal skill or ability

tryharding in this game is specifically about choosing specific cosmetics in order to try and gain any specific slight advantages against other players without specifically spending time to get better at the fundamentals of the game

so imagine a tuck suit dude going barefoot in order to mitigate the sound his footsteps make
and then he gets spotted by a dude wearing the bright white gilded phoenix outfit and then slammed by a sword despite using the blunderbuss sniper tryhard combo

THATS tryharding, this player thinks his outfit thats harder to see and the fact he makes less sound when he walks is an advantage that will get him wins instead of realizing that it doesnt matter at all
if you just arent good at the game having tryhard visibility cannons will not magically make you suddenly hit shots meanwhile a player who IS good at the game can hit you with the most visibility blocking cannons in the game anyway
>>
>>362094
I hope when skull and bones finally comes out it has PvE only servers so anti PvP fags fuck off to another game
>>
>>370357
It's a problem, they won't improve arena because nobody plays it but nobody plays it because they won't improve it

at the bare minimum they should just reduce the ship sinking penalty to 200 or so, it would make a huge difference for 5 minutes dev work
>>
What are some little changes and improvements you'd like?
>outline on the item you're selecting
>new ship type (maybe one for solo only)
>a way to keep a row boat on the shore
>a row boat with a gun
>>
>>376593
>outline on the item you're selecting
if you really need help theres this setting you can change that makes your activation marker stable instead of bobbing with water
>new ship type (maybe one for solo only)
no way to balance it, a sloop can already hard out maneuver and outpace every other ship
>a way to keep a row boat on the shore
yeah if you could lock the harpoon preventing it from moving thatd be fine but its not really a big enough gripe for me to care
>a row boat with a gun
no, awful idea

I honestly just want more limited time events with good cosmetics come out or cycle in older ones every now and then, the current one is so fucking pointless I havent done a single one
maybe an arena revamp or some shit, players already do pseudo-team deathmatch they could make a mode for that style of thing
something to use dabloons on, add back cosmetics that were tied to events that cost dabloons and price them at dark adventures level prices in exchange or just make new sets with that price range
new curses and cursed chests, biggest missed opportunities in the game
new world events, tall tales are cool and all but im fucking tired of waiting for ANYONE to finish the green fort cause it doesnt have any worthwhile loot just retire that event already or make it an order of souls quest, give that faction an equivalent to gold hoarders vaults and merchant sunken ships
>>
>>376612
>yeah if you could lock the harpoon preventing it from moving thatd be fine but its not really a big enough gripe for me to care
You know you can already do this with the R key, right?
>>
>>376612
>give that faction an equivalent to gold hoarders vaults and merchant sunken ships
Order of Souls has ghost ship fleets similar to Flameheart, that's the equivalent quest
>>
>>376670
except the reward is meager in comparison and doesnt even get you lvl 5 emissary like the other two, hell it isnt even much of a quest since you just go to the island and blow up the ships
feel like they could give you a fort to go to and a key to activate it or even a quest to get the key first, clear the fort, and it drops a ton of order of souls artifacts instead of the usual fort mixed bag
thatd be an equivalent

ghost fleet is more like animal delivery quests in comparison than an equivalent to the decent rep missions the other two factions have

>>376666
you have to stay on the harpoon to keep it locked meaning it doesn't work for what we were saying
>>
>>376593
Still being able to run if I'm only carrying a small treasure item or skull. Holding one in each hand would do the normal treasure walk.
>>
>>376612
>a sloop can already hard outpace every other ship
lol no
Sloops are the slowest ship unless you are heading dead into the wind, because otherwise a brig or galleon can just grab a crosswind and drastically outrun it.
>>
>>376593
>Respawn time tied to crew size, rather than flat 30 seconds
>Player health increased to 150

Though by far my absolute most controversial take is that you should be encouraged to rob other players, not sink them outright. Like the ship should sink real slowly and you should have to rush to get items out of it, or something of that nature.
>>
>>376593
Galleons get double supplies, a slight boost to speed with the wind and a front and back swivelgun mini-cannon that does small hole damage to ships and sniper damage to players it hits.

A way to "summon" activate the moltan sands fort maybe by sacrificing an ashen captains chest at the fort or something.

Pirate legends will never find themselves digging up seafarers or castaway chests, aka junk chests except from the random voyage bottle drops.

More rewards for Athena voyages especially in the Devels Roar.

The ability for xbox players to shift cycle through their items, for eg, I don't want to eat the pork I just picked up, it'd be nice to be able to shift to the next food items. It'd be nice to be able to pull out a cannonball and shift through to the chainshot to load into a cannon instead of opening my menu, navigating to the chainshot past 6 other items and selecting it to load it in only to find your target has already sailed out of your range.

Stamina bar for jumping and running while carrging or reloading a weapon.
>>
>>376988
im glad you dont work for rare
>>
>>376945
youre so fucking bad at this game
but let me teach you something

if you are on a sloop against any other ship you can sail directly into the wind, then make wide turns to get distance against that ship and they will NEVER be able to reach you, in fact you can dip in and out of your cannon range without giving them a chance to hit back because your turns are good and theirs are shitty not to mention they HAVE to have someone manning multiple sails otherwise they will lose even more speed
you CANT keep up with a sloop on the defense unless the crew is shit tier, if they arent you will never catch them
>>
>>377027
>The sloop can hard outpace any ship
>As long as it's in an extremely specific scenario
>>
>>377039
its not extremely specific when youre a good captain you fucking retard
you ALWAYS have that advantage because you will ALWAYS see another ship coming, if you dont you arent a good player let alone good captain

a good captain knows how to move with the wind and the sloop is the best ship to do it with because you dont have to mess with the sails and can turn on the dime
>>
File: shiprekt.webm (2.94 MB, 800x450)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
Are you a bad enough dude to use a shipwreck as an e-brake to stop another ship from running away?
>>
>want to have a big rumble at fof
>end up soloing it with no player interaction

>want to have a chill fishing/sailing session because my net is being unstable
>emissary that isn't reaper decides to play chasey for 40 minutes while I move from seapost/outpost dropping off my stuff
everytime

>>377027
a sloop is only marginally faster than a brig up-wind, which means the sloop has to always pay attention and keep heading against the wind or else a competent brig will take advantage of a sloops mistakes to easily close the distance
it's turns and sinking time are the things it's got over a brig, they both have a massive issue with losing their best/only mast. It's way better to stand and fight a brig because of how awkward it is, easy it is to knock off their crew and fast it can sink
>>
File: 1622955479718.png (157 KB, 500x375)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>doin' Tall Tales as a solo slooper
>park the ship and start doing muh puzzles
>suddenly hear cannon fire and go to check on the ship
>a Reaper galleon has parked herself next to my sloop
>immediately turn her into timbers and shoot me
>fine ok whatever, I did have a Grade 1 Gold Hoarder flag after all
>respawn and make my way back after fishing for a bit
>looks clear and I start trying to figure out the puzzle again
>suddenly cannonfire
>they're back and shooting despite no emissary flag
>shout through the horn to let them know I'm just doing Tall Tales
>hold up the book for good measure
>firing stops and I think I can repair my ship and get back to puzzles
>they stopped just so they could line up the cannons at me on the beach
It's fair enough to say that some people are also just dicks
>>
>>377042
>You can outrun them by taking dozens of steps at all times to keep yourself in the one position where you have a slight advantage
>Meanwhile they can sail in a straight line and keep up with you
Ok
>>
>>377070
>sinking time
Even then, it has the advantage of being the easiest ship to bail in the game.
Brigs are better than sloops and galleons in almost every regard.
>>
File: 1495739582398.gif (1.94 MB, 159x146)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
Bought the game in the summer sale cause of that PotC dlc advertised, still haven't started the game though. Should I just refund it at this point and go back to Puzzle Pirates?
>>
>>377423
Most of the PotC stuff is in its own instanced area so you don't have to worry about other players, though the ones that are in the overworld have been subjected to targetting griefing, so you know: caveat emptor
>>
>>377423
yeah refund it and watch someone play it on youtube
>>
>>377526
Fair, literally just clicked on it now after waiting a few hours for it to download, backing out big time I'll just replay AC4 or something
>>
>>376990
>jumping jack combat runner detected
>>
>>377308
if they sail in a straight line behind you they wont keep up you stupid fucking retard
>>
>>377062
If I tried that my ship would've lurched to the side and bounced off breaking the line to the ship and probably suffering a hole for it too. Might even have dead stopped me.
>>
>>377124
>some people are also just dicks
Most video game players are. Next time just scuttle your ship and stay hidden, they'll go away looking for a better target.
>>
>>377539
Do you usually play on a sloop?
>>
>>377549
yes, but ive only gotten good at sailing away from non-sloops cause of the black screen bug they havent fixed
I use to run down brigs and gallys
>>
>>377551
>black screen bug
Explain
>>
>>377539
I agree, whenever a sloop heads into the wind and stays there I assume they are experienced and I just give up. There's no way to catch up to a ship when they are using their advantage. I've tried so many times in a Galleon to catch ships, the only ones we get are the noobs and the lazy ones who don't know what to do to get away. Brigs are the fastest and manage to get ahead and just vanish in fog. Sloops will stay out of range forever and your crew will get bored or tired and leave before you ever get near them. Galleons used to be feared on the sea of thieves.
>>
>>377552
on the sloop if you have a hole in your ship it will take longer to spawn if it even lets you at all
the game thinks your ship is in mid-sink animation and is waiting for it to despawn it so it can respawn you on your new ship

>>377554
on galleons I usually just play pve mode doing voyages and fort of fortunes
the strength of a galleon is sails up, anchor up, canons facing the enemy, there is no way to ever approach a galleon doing this
>>
File: 1621464518926.jpg (17 KB, 200x200)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>377548
>scuttle your ship and hide
>they'll go away looking for a better target
Read nigga. They came back around the second time after the ship was scuttled and I fished around to give them enough time to wander off and look for a better target, and they evidently didn't care about loot. Don't pretend there was counterplay to be had: the only real option was to hop servers, which is fukken gay. Didn't feel like doing the Tall Tale anymore when I spawned in and had to sail across the map to get to it again.
>>
>>377555
>there is no way to ever approach a galleon doing this
Used to be and still is if you have a dedicated helmsman and people with pvp balls and can shoot. They fucked with the turn speed with the last update and now you can't turn fast enough to keep brigs or sloops to your broadside, they can stay to your front or back and actually change direction before a galleon can compensate.

If you have good crew who can take out their masts or board them and drop their anchor then thats a different story, but aside from cannoning to their ship boarding by ladder is difficult these days.
>>
>>377564
Also a galleon 'dead in the water' is an easy target.
>>
>>377564
I was assuming you were near an island during this, you can use the harpoons to hard turn and keep someone on the helm to adjust
>>
>>377551
Fair enough. I'm just used to people who only play brigs and galleons going "NUH UH SLOOP IS TOO GOOD."

Allow me to go deeper then. Saying the Sloop can always outrun the other ships is true in the sense that you must be pointed directly into the wind, and you must be willing to just run forever.
But even then, a brig into the wind still goes 95% as fast as a sloop, but if it's able to get even a tiny amount of wind in its sails it's now going literally more than twice as fast as the sloop, while a galleon that can almost catch the wind is going 150% the speed of the sloop. So if the wind shifts and they can tack even slightly with the wind, they'll easily be able to catch you.

That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it is still absolutely harder for a sloop to outrun a brig or galleon than a brig or galleon to outrun a sloop.
>>
>>377567
In that situation you better hope you have more supplies than them and they don't constantly try to board you while your crew is repairing.
>>
>>363137
there has to be more incentive to use diplomacy that isnt "lets sing to shanties while you tell me your fake story".
>>
>>377575
Sorry man but a sloop in the wind is uncatchable in a galleon, a brig will actually get distance away because they are so much faster. I've tried to tack to catch up to sloops but it never works, they can just make a course change and move away before you can tack back and adjust the sails in a galleon. Thats IF your galleon crew helps to angle the sails, which they never do lol.
I can see how a brig could catch a sloop if the sloop made a mistake and got in poon range. Even if you stay in the wind you'll run out of map or get cornered and the brig'll get ya easy. They need to nerf the brig if anything.
>>
>>377580
>Rather than sinking immediately and having all the loot pop up, the ship gets stuck "sinking" for one minute, and any loot still below deck after that time is lost to the attacker
Easy fix. It would greatly encourage robberies rather than just beating up on the other ship.
>>
>>377587
I mean, you aren't really disagreeing with me. Mostly what I'm saying is if the wind is blowing North to South, the sloop has to go straight South with very little deviation in order to outrun either bigger ship. Deviating to even as far as South-West or South-East will give the bigger ships enough wind to catch up to them.

Honestly I feel like galleons are in a good place balance-wise, since their firepower and additional crew comes with a deep coordination requirement. Brigs are definitely too powerful, while Sloops are too weak.

Though like the other guy said, fixing the black screen glitch would help a ton.
>>
>>377580
>there has to be more incentive to use diplomacy that isn't "let's sing to shanties while you tell me your fake story"
What the fuck are you talking about? Diplomacy has a bunch of incentives. You can use it in order preserve your supplies or emissary status. You might talk things out so you don't have to deal with a ship battle to get on with your respective voyages. There's potential for greater loot to be had by working together in world events and the like, taking your share via the alliance flag lootshare mechanic and the like. There's a general amount of money, time, supplies, and safety to be preserved by figuring out a bargain, and then things can become interesting on top of that by whether they'll still betray you, as Alliances don't prevent friendly fire.

That's way more interesting and captures the whole angle of "honor among thieves" along with inevitable betrayal due to greed that characterizes pirates to a lot of people, and that's a lot better than "unga bunga me see ship me act like skeleton ship BANG BANG BANG" every single time.
>>
>>377630
>by whether they'll still betray you, as Alliances don't prevent friendly fire.
Spoiler alert: they will.

The only way to do an alliance is to sink one ship and pile everyone on a ship together.
>>
>>377576
again they cant DO anything, if they come at you they get bombarded by 3 canons while someone on your crew goes to board them and if they shoot from too far you can just repair since the top shots dont matter
>>
>>377575
thats only if youre too stupid to just look at the wind
again if youre a decent captain and arent fucking BLIND you will never be caught on a sloop
>>
>>377725
Are you trying to argue with me by restating the exact same thing I just said?
>>
>>377526
>>377530
So yeah I bought it like a month ago so I can't get a refund, better off just trying to play the game now instead.
>>
>>363271
>play risk reward based game voluntarily
>take risks
>the risk is you can lose the rewards

Woah it's almost like that's the fucking point of the game or something. Sell up more often if you don't want to risk your shit.





Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.