[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I have NEVER played this game but I want to, lets have a thread about it. I would love to get into this game

>https://www.aetherflask.com/ffxi-eden/
a fan server, if we all roll the same one we will have a better time! infomation here

>https://edenxi.com/
how to download

>https://www.edenxi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144
how to make the game HD
>>
>ffxi thread
>op is the cancelled mobilegook shit
come on now
>>
>>351746
I dont have many real xi images
>>
There's one freshly opening on July 16th
https://www.limitbreakffxi.com/
>>
>Never played FFXI either
>Look up private servers because don't want to pay
>This fucking list of FFXI private servers
https://github.com/project-topaz/topaz/wiki/Topaz-Servers
>Don't know what to pick
>Quickly lose interest
>>
>>351932
Was looking at this one too!
Bummed to see a bunch of anons starting wings recently, but also happy for them.
>>
Tell your shills in the project 1999 thread to not derail next time.
>>
gonna try wingsxi since it seems to have an influx of attention due to ninja, and also was told other private servers have deceptive population sizes as they allow dualboxing
>>
>>351932
Gonna try it out, anon. ty
>>
>>351739
Controls are fucking bonkers, halp
>>
>>352292
>i want a big game population and the game to be generally as it was back in the day
Nasomi server if you dont mind a heavily autistic "PLAY EXACTLY THIS WAY" community
Eden server if you want content to be coded exactly 1:1 how it was back in the day, but dont mind a corrupt endgame community where GMs abuse their power to gain an advantage for their friends.
Wings server if you want to play on the newest of these 3 servers (for better or for worse) or if you're a fan of the popular Fortnite streamer Ninja (who's currently playing on Wings).

>I want to play the game as it was, but I dont have the time to spend 8 hours a day, 6 days a week playing to maybe hit max lvl a year from now
Era server. 5x exp, lots of modern QoL stuff, bleeding edge leader of the XI community's codebase so they always have the newest content released. Small population though, but if you're EU or east coast US you'll be set.

>I want to play the game as it is now cuz I'm burnt out on 75-cap content, AND i'm busy
Jova, a nice lv99 cap server. Soloable exp and a possible to solo your way thru most of the game's content, except for the proper lv99 stuff. My recommendation if you just want to check out the "Chains of Promathia" expansion storyline, as it's considered one of the best/better FF stories.
>>
>>354497
keyboard only.
one hand on cursor keys, other hand on WASD.
put your mouse away, you dont need it.
try changing vertical camera to "inverted" if you find it feels weird looking up or down.
>>
>>354497
use the numpad
>>
File: 1217104512896.jpg (35 KB, 1280x720)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
god why does it all have to be different servers, I'm sick of this shit
nasomi, kupo, eden, wings, era, limitbreak
how could you willingly invest years into a character when you know that a server is going to die
give me an official XI classic server please
>>
>>354921
>how could you willingly invest years into a character when you know that a server is going to die
I don't know how people do that either, I'm only 21 hours in on my first character on an increased rate server and I'm already well past the point where I'd want to start over from scratch somewhere else.
>>
File: 1290742105761.png (339 KB, 522x516)
339 KB
339 KB PNG
Reminder for old players, every 3 months or so is the "Return Home to Vanadiel" campaign where you can log in for free for about a week or so. This usually happens in Feb, May, Aug, and Nov.
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/wcb/
When it ends you will not be forcibly logged off, but the Capacity Points bonus ends then too.
>>354577
>put your mouse away, you dont need it.
Or better yet, flip it over, it actually fucks with you.
>>
>>355364
Is there a way to cycle back through available targets? I keep having the probelm where the thing I want to target is the 15th thing pressing tab is going to cycle to, so instead of just pressing back once I have to press tab 15 times instead.
>>
>>355863
shift+tab cycles backwards
>>
>>355906
Thanks bro, that's a lifesaver.
>>
anyone got that rad colored pencil drawing of the bay in windurst?
>>
does anyone have a linkshell on retail i can join? ;_;
>>
bump
>>
I am currently on my second week of playing Everquest Project 1999 (Green) and I am having quite the time of my life lol. I've always wanted to try this game and have always loved its look. I feel like I am having close to a classic experience like those back then did. I want MMO games to feel like this again. I find people to group with, the game is difficult, I explore and have adventures, I grind mobs sometimes solo, sometimes others join, I entered my first dungeon in Befallen, I haggle and commerce in East Commonlands tunnel for buying and selling magical gear. It's fantastic. I don't mind the visuals at all. It is charming and I think the game looks great for its time.

I will be interested in experiencing the classic Final Fantasy XI Online experience at some point. I have around 350 hours in XIV but realized that the only thing I enjoyed about the game even a little is the Main Story Quest. I am hoping for XI to feel like Project 1999, just final fantasy-fied. I would like to pay for the Steam version of Final Fantasy XI since I don't have to go through torrents and Steam is a legit platform, but I hear the Steam version of Final Fantasy XI is mostly a solo experience, with a lot of content able to be done by bots, ai's, trusts, and therefore will not be having a lot of players looking to group. This is an experience I am not looking for in MMOrpgs. This on top of having to pay a subscription service, unlike Project 1999 that is free, makes me consider finding a server that is not linked to Steam.

So my question is this, what is the best private server for Final Fantasy XI in terms of population, social/helpful players, and newest most serious private server (much like 1999 Green is the newest most relevant, populated classic server). Or would I really be ok going with the Final Fantasy XI Online Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition for $29.99 on Steam and paying monthly for the best, most classic and populated FFXI online experience? Thanks!
>>
>>362219
>the Steam version of Final Fantasy XI
There is no "Steam version", it's just a way to buy the key and to log on. You will still need an SE account. But you already have one for XIV, so meh.
Private servers are discussed here >>354576. If you want populated there's Ass-ura, and I think Odin too, but more population also means more competition for camps, etc. So you can choose from really high population or really low population. SE really needed another round of server merges, but I think the person who knew how merges work probably wasn't working for them anymore.
And start lurking on the ffxiah forums.
>>
>>362219
LimitBreak looks promising and is opening in a few days.

And if you like Everquest you will like FFXI, the dev team had to play Everquest for months as their job so.... you can imagine how ffxi is.
>>
>>362302
From the private servers discussed there, I guess Wings server sounds the best of those options. Still though, I may continue Everquest more, and on the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy XI I would love it to see maybe Square Enix open new servers and launch a kind of FFXI Online Classic experience officially.

>>362430
I know I'm going to love it. This is some of the most addicting formula of video games to date. Plus it's very social, difficult, and immersive fantasy world. It's a win-win-win on every front for me with MMOs like Classic Everquest and Classic Final Fantasy XI. I don't know if I'm ready to put down EQ for XI, or if I will end up playing both at once. I really want official Square Enix classic Final Fantasy XI Online server support, so I either might join LimitBreak at some point, or see what happens in regards to Square Enix. I really hope LimitBreak does well and healthy with awesome players. If I can't help myself and do want to dive in, I will probably pick LimitBreak or Wings from what I have researched so far.
>>
>>354921
annoys me too
>>
File: varios115.jpg (76 KB, 750x750)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
bump, I wanna see ppl discussing this game before I download it :^(
>>
>>366556
me again, downloaded wings made a mythra thief

I have no idea of what I'm doing.
>>
>>366556
I started up on LimitBreak a couple days ago at launch. Just got my subjob today. Had a few invites/tells even when I wasn't looking, so launch has been decently active. Seems a few of the players are quite new to XI altogether, along with the usual veteran crowd a classic server attracts, so things look promising.
>>
>>366556
I have some hours on wings, It's comfy.
I think some anons from the /v/ threads have a small linkshell on there.
I really wanted to play on LB but to me population will always be king in MMOs.
>>
i started retail to fuck around and im enjoying my time with it, but is there any way to not instantly put away your weapon when fighting multiple enemies at once? i have autotarget on but sometimes it just doesn't work.
>>
>>366637
You have to be somewhat quick, but the method I used was to unfocus the target and just as/before it dies switch targets.
>>
>>366698
It's probably less hard with a controller to Switch Target in time, but it's still tough to avoid the sheathe/draw animations. But it's still better than having to select the next target the normal way.
>>
Can I be a male cat?
>>
You can turn off Auto-Sheath in the options.
>>
>>367189
Yes, in FFXIV. UwU
>>
Okay, trying to play this in a 14" laptop with 768, massive pain in the ass, everything is barely readable and it's not like I have bad eyesight or whatever. Thinking about hooking it up to a monitor and buying a xbawks joystick because for me keyboard is unbearable
>>
>>367383
The original ran on a PS2, basically 480i. You're not going to impress anybody whining about 768.
>>
>>367554
based
>>
>>367383
I always preferred controller for XI over keyboard, at least until you reach endgame and you need to have a bunch of equipment macros.
>>
>>368023
It's comfy. But when I'm doing serious WHM shit, I type all my spells at the command line, using the <p1> - <p5> things or <me> to reference players. I can usually get the next spell typed before the cooldown ends, plus there's the up-arrow key to repeat the previous one, backspace twice, then type in the new player number, usually for buff rotations.
>>
File: tfw brainlet.png (392 KB, 630x477)
392 KB
392 KB PNG
>>351739
I was playing on Eden and having fun but playing these kinds of games is torture without other people, and I can only be sustained by dunes parties for so long. I don't mind starting over on another server, where are you all playing now? Pic only slightly related since it was retail.
>>
so how do the private servers work? i have a public character from 2013 i have a few thousand hours into, wish there was a way to transfer it over.

is there a guide on how to connect to it at all? eden's not really very self explanatory and i'm thick as shit
>>
>>368255
The larger servers so far provide their own installations/clients, and pre-configured launchers, for a fairly seemless plug n play setup. If it's not directly available from their respective websites, probably need to look at their discord.
>>
does the game track how many kills i have for the "kill 100 things with chaosbringer" step for unlocking drk or do i have to keep try myself?
>>
>>368381
The count is a hidden attribute of the item, but there's no way to find it other than write it down yourself. Some items can give you an "almost there" message when you turn it in to the NPC, but that's uncommon.
The newer system with the Jeuno moogles is much better but they never did retrofit it to the old stuff.
>>
>>368238
Limit-Break just started and I've been having fun. Somehow got a dunes party at level 10 as a THF.
>>
>>368518
It's almost time for you to learn that SATA is more than just a hard drive.
https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/SATA
>>
>>368518
>100 people
fug
that's not bad but it makes me think of
>>354921
nasomi was at like 800-1000 easy and tanked to 300 or so, no idea why
eden is in the 800-1000 range now (maybe that's why)
now this one is about 100, so I wonder how it'll last
that's always been my problem with private servers too
>>
With FFXI server populations you have to consider how many AFKs and dual boxers are on. On a low-pop retail server you might see 200-500, but there's going to be 50 standing in Jeuno doing bazaar, probably another 30 who went AFK in their mog house instead of logging out, and a few dozen where people multi-box 1-4 extra logins.
And then there's people botting. The extreme is people going out in Adoulin with a full alliance of bots (yes that means 18 separate accounts), each one in a little nook in Ceizak where none of the mobs will aggro or link, then kill as soon as they see something. This was back before the weekly sparks spending cap, and they would take them back to town and cash in all the sparks from killing stuff for gil. So there's 18 more non-humans in the player count.
Private servers probably won't be that bad, but there will still be the temptation to multi-box, even if it's not allowed.
>>
File: 1617681062576.jpg (195 KB, 1000x1000)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>368538
Eden killed Nasomi and Wings also rose up pretty quicky. (though no dualboxing)

Wings' site says 366 online (granted it's early morning)
I remember over the winter when wings was hitting 200 some nights and thinking it was fucking insane.
>>
>>368871
So Winds has no multiboxing? That's pretty cool. Though I have to say I like Eden's "no powerleveling" and no range on level synching. Does Winds do any of that?
>>
>>368909
No level sync cap on wings and powerleveling is allowed, but since there's no multiboxing, it's not really a thing there
>>
>>368941
Sounds pretty cool.
>Wings of the Goddess
I only ever played the game on Nasomi and Eden, which were TOAU, right? Are there any important changes between the two aside from the added classes?
>>
Im at work right now and I wanna play (im on Wings) what activities can i do while being there, I can't do parties since I have to go take care of customers once in a while... I wanna do some fishing to make some gil but im scared I'll lose a lot of bait doing so.
>>
>>368986
Shadowreign/past zones and the content available there. Not everything is working at the moment though.
Also field manuals and some jobs have new abilities.
>>
>unlock sam because tenzens animations were really nice
>its different on my male hume
is his just unique?
>>
>>369448
Yeah, overall his animations are unique and differ from player male humes. He is a major character, after all. But some of his TP moves are just player abilities renamed.
>>
>>369062
Depending on your job(class) and patience, you can solo XP especially with FoV. Camp NMs, farm stuff, craft, do whatever quests or missions you think you can handle. Fishing works, I haven't really done it ever so I can't be of much help. Bait loss is inevitable, but it's usually cheap.
>>
Does any of you play on the official servers? I want to start playing, hopefully not alone.
>>
I take it that the Phoenix LS is dead?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.