[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 59 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1382450514807.png (53 KB, 293x251)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
How's your multiplayer game going, anon?

Want to make a multiplayer game but don't know how?
Lockstep networking: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131503/1500_archers_on_a_288_network_.php
The tribes networking model: https://youtu.be/h47zZrqjgLc
Rocket league's networking: https://youtu.be/ueEmiDM94IE
Rollback networking in NRS games: https://youtu.be/7jb0FOcImdg

Don't be that guy who makes their game local multiplayer only and tries to rely on steam or parsec for players.

Discuss your multiplayer gamedev or request playtesting in this thread!

Nondevs: What features should every multiplayer game have? What would make you interested in picking one up? And why aren't you working on your dream game right now?
>>
File: pong 060.webm (2.78 MB, 1492x818)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
I've spent the past few weeks adding decent AI and tutorials, although I also recently got NAT punchthrough working so people can host lobbies without having to forward ports. If anyone wants to play some games against me just give me a (you) and I'll put up a lobby, though.
https://sstrandberg.itch.io/rollback-pong
>>
File: Fly.webm (1.82 MB, 778x486)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB WEBM
>>330953
Im not sure what im trying to make, but its multiplayer so i guess ill post :)
>>
File: roster sample.gif (3.4 MB, 636x355)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB GIF
>>330953
I have 11 fighters and the training dummy, as well as networking. I have AI so you can fight for a lot of the characters, but no settings for fighting AI in online matches yet. It's a fighting game with simplified piloted mech fighters.

Live Arena: https://coreboys-online-gvqo2.ondigitalocean.app/
AI Matches: http://ditzbitz.com/coreboyx.html
>>
>>330978
This is neat, but is it meant to not have any sound?
>>
>>330983
yeah, no sound yet.
>>
File: typhoonoctopus.webm (2.08 MB, 1920x1080)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB WEBM
>>330962
post more
>>330959
I still need to get around to try this pong dev
>>330978
Prickly-kun, don't you think it's best to balance your characters that you already have instead of shoveling more on? My game has more than 16 and I spent days working on each one... What development strategy are you doing?

I released my game last week. It's gotten a bit of attention, I bought some ads, shilled a bit, but what really helped was an unplanned organic streamer who played. He liked it. I need more of that shit

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1571880/God_of_the_Arena_Dungeon/
>>
>>330992
>What development strategy are you doing?
I was using the AI to balance the fighters, so I know the first 6 are roughly balanced. I need to go back and implement AI for Rhopho through Doctor Soto and run tests. I'm pretty sure Doctor Soto is imbalanced.
>>
File: ShopArea2.webm (2.91 MB, 1102x614)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB WEBM
>>330992
i dont have much that shows off the multiplayer side of things since im deving alone, but this is a little hub / shop area outside of where you will hand in any cards you find grinding in the world or cracking packs :)
>>
File: botpartyMute.webm (1.94 MB, 1920x1080)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB WEBM
>>330993
This is actually pretty smart, but I'd advise you still do human testing as much as possible. You have no idea what dash of actual player ingenuity or degeneracy they might uncover, or some chars might prove to be not so user friendly, effectively making them 'underpowered'

>>330994
Can you explain the 'loop' of your game? I get chatroom minigame vibes from it, but I'm not sure. I think why I'm so interested is that my head is being filled with ideas around it, exciting me
>>
File: FishingLevel2.webm (2.45 MB, 1022x632)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB WEBM
>>330992
>>330994
some fishing instead of aimlessly walking round
ui needs a lot of work
>>
File: MonBattle2.webm (2.61 MB, 902x558)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB WEBM
>>330996
there isnt really a loop
its just kinda do whatever you want
be it combat main quest or side stuff like kart racing, wood cutting or monster battles like runescape with some level gating
>>
File: sicko_dev.png (254 KB, 1920x1322)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>330998
>>331005
Right but things like wood cutting seems like means to and end. So, what would be the end?
I kind of like sandboxy chill design, the visuals lend itself to it.
What is the main combat? Monster battling?
>>
File: cockeyed helicopters.jpg (232 KB, 1920x1080)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>330953
We just released a multiplayer unity
game today called COCKEYED HELICOPTERS that uses photon for networking.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1634380/COCKEYED_HELICOPTERS/

Feel free to check it out!

It raised some interesting questions about marketing a multiplayer game on such a small budget, which I'd love to talk about with anyone else who has been in a similar situation.
>>
>>331019
>It raised some interesting questions about marketing a multiplayer game on such a small budget, which I'd love to talk about with anyone else who has been in a similar situation.
What have you tried?
I think having a working single player is important, so that the game doesn't just feel entirely dead. I plan on getting a discord server going later on into development too so that people can find games that way.
>>
>>331019
>>331027
I have a healthy discord but yeah man advertising is hard. If my game didn't have bots it'd be in a really bad spot.
Unfortunately my game isn't very similar to any other game besides Realm of the Mad God which is niche to say the least.
It seems like it's largely streamer determinant, right?
>>
File: kf.webm (2.57 MB, 960x540)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB WEBM
>>330953
Pretty good! I'm basically making Killing Floor but with bow wielding wizards defending a castle. I just got done with the round system and i'm currently avoiding working on a shop UI because UI sucks
>>
>>331027
Woovit, Keymailer, and Indie Boost/catapult.gg

>>331029
To both of you, yeah. I would assume bots are a bare minimum for these sorts of games, with the small caveat that trying to push it as a party game make encourage "group buys" in which a circle of friends all purchase it to try it out.
>>
>>331034
>Woovit, Keymailer, and Indie Boost/catapult.gg
Could you provide your experience with these?
>>
File: never forget.jpg (34 KB, 1876x145)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Betrayer.
>>
>>331034
Have you shilled to game journos?
>>
File: Combat.webm (2.84 MB, 1126x630)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB WEBM
>>331012
The end for fishing is cooking and then eating the cooked fish for hp
The end for woodcutting is making bows and weapon handles, and eventually player housing
For combat its kinda like a first person version of standard mmo stuff, theres half a magic system in there too but i havent fleshed it out yet
But enemies have vision so you could get on your hands and knees and crawl by to not agro if your low on health or just dont wana deal
Or you could just run past mounted, but they see you far easier when mounted
>>
>>331103
>duck
>mounted
>>
File: Mounted.webm (2.78 MB, 1106x622)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>331104
mounts dont have stats yet but theyre functional and sync :)
>>
File: pong 091.webm (2.35 MB, 1116x604)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB WEBM
Working on a new character, gimmick is heavier hits but with more startup frames. Blocking them causes an extra pip of guard fatigue, so the idea is partially to get your opponent to block and then punish them off of the longer hitstun. Unfortunately the AI doesn't really want to block unless it has to so it's not great for demoing
>>
>>331958
I like that you're seeming to focus on game feel and all that shit. Do you have anymore visual flare planned? How do you want to release this?
>>331108
Comfy
>>
File: pong 092.webm (1.79 MB, 1118x600)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB WEBM
>>332157
Thanks anon. I'm planning on eventually getting someone to redo all the art, these are currently just grabbed from itch. They're really nice for getting an idea of what's going on (seeing swings actually telegraphed is way better than just boxes) but is pretty mixed in terms of art styles.
Added two supers, one is a quick hit that goes towards the enemy and bounces back to you if it connects with a block, the other's a straight up slam but costs two meter.
This guy's probably broken but I'm not sure if he's under or overpowered.
>>
File: ue4 networking.png (98 KB, 739x813)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>
File: AI vs NNAI.gif (2.51 MB, 956x528)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB GIF
>>330978
The link has been moved to: https://coreboys-online-live-ztxak.ondigitalocean.app/

Also I was able to get a neural network to play the game. I think I will be able to add trainable AI that you can make fight like you. Ideally I'd have online trading and tournaments for AI people can train, alongside human play. The dark green one is a neural network piloted fighter, the red one is scripted.
>>
>>330992
Wow, this looks really promising. Reminiscent of RotMG, but (I assume) sans the gay microtransactions and OP pets. Good job, Anon.
>>
>>335164
Not sure about the footsies on these bots
>>
>>336692
footsies?
>>
>>336895
https://glossary.infil.net/?t=Footsies
>>
File: armorcrazy.webm (2.92 MB, 1920x1080)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB WEBM
>>335911
Thanks bro. It's more of a PvP arena game with boss fights and general pve grinding, not so much a true realm clone. That's my dream project, though, make realm that doesn't suck and has pvp
You get the free game here:
Server's are a bit dead rn, but I'm gonna start an ad campaign soon that might help. You can always play with bots!
>>
>>336929
gotcha.
>>
File: pong 102.webm (2.06 MB, 1554x604)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB WEBM
New super for grappler guy, hits at different speeds depending on range.
>>
>>337007
Looks great. Do you have any socials I can track your progress on? I know you probably don't wanna doxx yourself but I'm assuming that I can find that kind of stuff through your steam too, pumped for future progress!
>>
File: EasterTweetwebm.webm (2.95 MB, 1920x1080)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
>>338269
I recommend the discord, that's where I post most new updates and play test / play party announcements.
We'll probably be testing the new Capture the Balloon mode this weekend coinciding with the new ad campaign and /v/3. You should join up!
>>
>>338323
dcord link /dsNAkTx
>>
y'all have inspired me to take my webshit to the next level. I've started writing a library that implements tribes netcode via WebRTC data streams. Once I'm done with it I'll clobber together a demo using a doom port.
>>
File: 21-06-08-223707-import.png (48 KB, 1026x748)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
My first model in my first engine.
>>
>>338778
orange cat
>>
Can someone leak Pixel Fx Designer and Juice Fx?
https://codemanu.itch.io/particle-fx-designer
https://codemanu.itch.io/juicefx

Want to preview them, can't find anything pirated
>>
>>339724
I don't think enough people have bought those for your message to reach one.
They just don't seem like particularly interesting products to me, I'd much rather do these kinds of effects in-engine live.
>>
File: notsneakyMUTE.webm (2.72 MB, 1920x1080)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB WEBM
>>338269
>>330953
My game (GotAD) is having a playtest session for a new mode tonight if any anon is interested. It's free
>>
File: 2021-06-06 20-55-58.webm (2.7 MB, 1280x720)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB WEBM
added gun game to my multiplayer platform shooter. seeing all the other games here is inspiring me to work on bots, but I'm not sure where to start.
>>
should have shitposted on /v/3
>>
This thread has many nice professional looking projects, I'm almost ashamed to show my own which should eventually, become a team multiplayer strategy:
https://fortune-for-the-princes.herokuapp.com/
it has only single-player for now
>>
File: teams.gif (1.82 MB, 1399x785)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB GIF
>>343083
Welcome! Is the map hard coded/do you have plans to have generation?
>>
>>343094
Hardcoded as in users can't modify it? I guess so, I plan to make more maps, and maybe a guide on how users can make their own maps, making maps is relatively easy but all the setup takes time, basically you would just convert vectors to HTML canvas, modify few lines of code, and then add province information, thing like which province is connected which province.

I don't have any plans for map generation, thing is I would rather make a rich game with only handful of maps, instead of a shallow game with infinite maps.
>>
>>343099
>I would rather make a rich game with only handful of maps, instead of a shallow game with infinite maps.
Probably a good call. I checked out the page source, its very interesting. Are you aware of html5 canvasses? I can help you convert it if you are interested. It would be a lot more portable.
PricklyPearGames#6657
>>
>>343359
ugh I'm sorry, I didn't see you say
> convert vectors to HTML canvas
but the whole thing could be in a single canvas is what I mean by converting it. Getting rid of stuff like highlightable text and input boxes.
>>
>>343362
not the other guy, but a trick from my job, you can put text spans absolutely positioned over the canvas, and propagate mouse events to the canvas if needed using the event data. We use it for document rendering techniques but it's fundamentally the same for games too.
>>
File: room swapping.gif (1.27 MB, 1665x517)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB GIF
>>343428
thats a cool tip. I was just thinking about how I would do in canvas UI for room swapping/chat
>>
>>330953
Browser multiplayer game development is a shitshow. Not a single popular library implements WebRTC in a way that is suitable for games.
>>
>>343362
>but the whole thing could be in a single canvas is what I mean by converting it.
I don't know the performance heavy the canvas is, but for the sake of prudence, I think it is logical that whole canvas doesn't need to be redrawn every time player makes a selection. HTML elements on top for clickability are must because HTML canvas doesn't support clickability.
>>
File: clickable canvas-min.gif (2.45 MB, 1144x641)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB GIF
>>343593
>HTML elements on top for clickability are must because HTML canvas doesn't support clickability.
the performance thing is a good point, but sorry man, this is totally wrong. A canvas can both be the object upon which an event listener is attached for click events (btw, you should use pointerdown, pointerup, and pointermove instead of mousedown, mouseup, and mousemove so that people can play on touch screens) or simply have the window listen and translate the positions to the bounding rectangle of the canvas.

Here's an example of me clicking UI elements in a canvas.
>>
>>343632
That's interesting, I recall searching it and reading a discussion about how it isn't possible, but good to know it is.
>>
>>343558
Are you just trying to use straight JS?
>>
>>330953
>Don't be that guy who makes their game local multiplayer only and tries to rely on steam or parsec for players.
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>344722
Play quality and general experience is way worse.
>>
I hear unity is pretty retard-proof as far as game development goes, but what about integrating multiplayer into that? How easy would it be to do yourself, or at worst, hire a freelance codemonkey to set up in a week or two?
>>
File: steampic6.20.png (974 KB, 1920x1078)
974 KB
974 KB PNG
GotAD is comfy bros...
>>
If game is online only and mp only then fuck it.
>>
fucking nerds lmao
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (138 KB, 1280x720)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
SSD is kill and I lost all game files. I packed my shit up and when I finish repairing the bike I'm gonna squat inna woods and live some time there to train and then join the FL. I hope to get some inspiration during my time there and maybe, if I'm still alive, resume working on the game 10-15 years from now when VR tech is more advanced and widespread, I hope Neuralink will be out within the near future.
>>
>>348390
>SSD is kill and I lost all game files
I can't really feel sorry for you, it is common sense to upload your daily work to github or heroku
>>
>>348391
There were 3D models, textures and the Unity project files, not just code. I never imagined an SSD could die so soon. CrystalDisk said life was still above 70%.

Recently I was thinking about installing MEGA Sync and put my work folder in there but I waited too long I guess.
>>
>>338873
does he hate mondays?
>>
>>344996
It's easier the earlier you do it, it's never exactly trivial though. Can be one of the more difficult parts of game development from a software engineering perspective.
>>
kek
>>>/vg/340838090
>>
>>348470
>this thread was created 23 days 22 hours ago
yikes.... imagine being in a slow thread.
>>
>>348466
I'd say it's less difficult in a lot of cases and just SUPER time consuming. Lots of testing and tweaking and such.

Anyway I'm mostly doing exploration right now, but I was doing a bit with PVP piracy mechanics. I'm going to have it that if you kill a player carrying exploration data you get a portion of that data but I'm not sure how to make that work. Exploration data is based on static entries that you sell for a payout, so I'm wondering if you kill an explorer if you just get the payout directly or if you pick up his entries to sell yourself.
>>
>>330953
Rocket League's netcode is good but their physics are trash and they cope by pretending that they built them this way for "intuitive behavior" and what-not. the truth is, realistic physics would be more intense to network so they simplified things drastically to cut down on the lag / make it more accessible to players with bad connections.
>>
>>348394
>I never imagined an SSD could die so soon.
one Windows update is all it takes, you fucking retard. any SSD can "die" at any time. having all your shit in only one place is never viable. stop being a barbarian.
>>
>>344996
>I hear unity is pretty retard-proof as far as game development goes
you heard wrong. probably from enginedevs who wanted to signal about how elite they are for not using a standard engine.
>>
>>348534
I mean Unity's retard proof in the sense that there's so much preserved documentation and issues and such that it's easy to figure out what goes wrong if you're halfway good at googling.
>>
Does Among Us have dedicated servers, or is it all player hosted lobbies?
And if yes, did it always have them?
>>
>>348529
I'm pretty sure they had more realistic for Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars but tuned it to be the way it is because it's more fun.
More realistic physics wouldn't even be any harder to simulate over the network, you're doing the same thing anyway.
>>
>>330953
What does NRS mean? And parsec?
>>
>>348636
realistic physics require more accuracy meaning a higher tick rate or a more costly simulation per tick. if you fake it you can simplify the collision rules and get more consistent behavior with less computation and generally less accuracy. they're just saving server costs and making it run better on low bandwidth connections.

but the resulting physics in Rocket League are unintuitive garbage. the speed at which you slam your car into the ball shows barely any correlation with how strong a shot will be. angular velocity in particular seems to be ignored entirely. and then there's things like if you use boost or are doing a certain boost maneuver you magicallly hit stronger. it's just garbage in so many ways.
>>
>>348639
parsec is a unit of distance relevant in cosmology (very large scale).
>>
Why do games desync and what are you fags doing to stop it?
>>
I got a persistent database for storing high-scores in the single player minigames. it's not directly multiplayer, but letting people compete across games is a kind of online play.
>>
>>349067
Depends on the game, if it's something like a fg or rts then just not having a deterministic simulation will do it. Testing will reveal that hopefully but you can also just make sure to only use deterministic operations in the first place.
>>348639
NRS is NetherRealm Studios, the devs behind mortal kombat and injustice
Parsec is a service that lets you play local games remotely through screen and input sharing.
>>
What is this Underspace game?
>>
>>349375
It's my game. It's an open world space fighter RPG, think Freelancer, Everspace 2, etc. It has singleplayer and persistent online multiplayer (though you host the servers yourself), with separate campaigns for each.
>>
>>330953
Every multiplayer game should have a map editor
>>
>>331032
Looks fun, anon
>>
>>351075
why
>>
>>351120
Longevity obviously
>>
>>351124
what about games where player made maps dont make any sense
>>
>>351125
You mean like procedurely generated maps, like DRG?

Let people make biome algorithms then.
>>
>>351144
like mmos or open world games, sea of thieves, world of warcraft etc
>>
>>351145
Should still allow people to make their own maps/areas for when hosting private servers.
>>
>>351125
That makes it better cuz chaos is fun
>>
>>349427
Campaigns sounds nice. My only space game is Tachyon the Fringe, so I wonder how that would compare to this. Played a bit of Freelancer too, but long ago.
>>
https://mirror-networking.com/
Can someone explain to me what this is? Like, can I make an arena game with it, with like 20 players?
>>
File: UnderspaceBillboardNA.webm (2.29 MB, 1600x900)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB WEBM
>>352381
Much less sim, much more space.
>>
>>351271
K im going to elaborate.
Adding map editing or any other creative in depth component to a multiplayer not only gives the player something else to do but also gives incentive to learn the mechanics more in depth and provides a consistent challange to constantly improve ones own map/creative thing or whatever.
>>
>>352486
I've never used anything like this but they always seem like pretty bad deals.
>>
>>354349
why is that?
>>
File: 9.png (138 KB, 256x256)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>354595
For some reason (not reading properly) I thought this was one of the networking-as-a-service things, those generally charge a lot per CCU.
It looks featurefull enough and has decent looking docs, I'd give it a go.
>>
Hi all. New to the thread. I've been working on my multiplayer game for about a year and a half now. Nodejs + nginx + socketio + phaser3 on the backend with phaser3 + socketio on the frontend. It falls within the .io game genre. I plan on opening it up to the public within the next year here as what I would call an alpha version. It's a game where players kill each other, create bases, chop trees, mine rocks, etc. for their bases/items. I'm currently working on implementing a cash shop where players can buy cosmetic items (cosmetic only, no p2w.) Getting my LLC business ready for that and all through the payment handler I'll be using which is Stripe. I look forward to opening this up within the next year hopefully. Can't wait to play my own game with the other players in the future.
>>
>>355626
>I used an unsecure tripcode with that post
All future posts by me will be made with this secure tripcode only. Sorry for the double post.
>>
File: 1612753771910.png (121 KB, 890x661)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>>355626
>It falls within the .io game genre.
>>
>>355626
> It's a game where players kill each other, create bases, chop trees, mine rocks, etc. for their bases/items.
so its literally every other mobile game on the market? fuck off retard this is not an advertising thread
>>
>>355855
It's not a mobile game you stupid fuck. You clearly aren't a dev at all. Last I checked this was a multiplayer gamedev thread which talks about your progress with your game. Kys for shitting up the thread, you annoying piece of shit
>>
>>355626
>>355997
I don't think I'll be checking out this game, it's dev is rude to people.
>>
>>355785
.io games are web games where you basically go to the website and jump right into playing. Typically no sign up is required and is optional. Just type in a username and play and go type of deal. The site is mainly dedicated to that single game, etc.
https://iogames.space/ is where you can find a bunch of examples. I plan to partner with them to get my game more known to the public once I'm ready and at that point to do so.
>>
>>356000
Yeah you're a fucking idiot for saying that. You clearly didn't read that other anon's post.
That's great anyway because I didn't plan on sharing it here anyway anytime soon. If you even bothered to read my original post it may not be ready for the public for a while. This thread is for devs to discuss methods and help one another.
>>
>>355997
I didn't say it was a mobile game, newfag. I compared it to literally every other mobile game on the market because that's what you described to me. You haven't shown any gameplay, any art, anything at all.
> Last I checked this was a multiplayer gamedev thread which talks about your progress with your game
Again, wheres your game? You spent so long coming up with a name and trip for an anonymous imageboard you forgot to actually post your fucking game.

>>356002
.io is not a genre, it's a TLD. That's what the other anon is wondering about. Nobody knows what the fuck you mean by .io game genre. Web games, is a better term, because you don't have to host these on a .io TLD. People just do it to look techy and cool.
>>
>>356012
As someone who has made a '.io' game, you're mostly wrong.
It's both a domain and a genre shorthand at this point, connoting casual jump-in-and-out game play >>356002, typically in an online multiplayer arena (or fake multiplayer) context with relatively simple gameplay
>>
>>356229
Even the website >>356002 linked likened Skribbl.io to Aquapark.io and Krunker.io. Tell me, what do any of these three have in common? Cause it's not anything like the guidelines of that website say.

Dumbing your game down, adding in microtransactions, and the simplicity of playing on multiple devices literally makes .io games just mobile games. And many of them are LITERALLY that. Mobile games placed on a website to increase the playerbase. Just like mobile games, many of these """.io game genre""" utilize the same kind of tricks too. Be it bots to make players think there are a lot of people playing or like >>355626 is planning, monetization without realization of his players.

It doesn't have to be like that though, and I've only described SOME .io games, mainly the ones on that website.

If you really want an .io website to put your game on, use itch.io.
>>
>>356274
read what I said here >>356229 again
The games you mention all play to casual hop-in-and-out gameplay, straight-forward gameplay, and are multiplayer (I suppose the definition of 'arena' might be stretched here especially in regards to skribbl)
Your issues with the would-be genre (or whatever) are fine, but it doesn't detract from the point that '.io' implies a certain type of game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMZJCA2q-TU
>>
>>349069
What are you using for the DB? I'm not sure if I want a full mysql install on my server or just using sqlite
>>
>>358528
MongoDB, I can't post the repo if you would like.
>>
>>361660
Any reason you chose mongo? I've only ever really heard bad things about it.
>>
File: pong_118.webm (2.91 MB, 1362x588)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB WEBM
Fucking around with scale things, need to figure out what resolution I actually want for the game. 1.5x feels pretty good to me, 2x seems too slow
>>
I don't want the thread to die
>>
File: pong 126.webm (1.49 MB, 1312x780)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB WEBM
fucked around with scale more, ended up going through and multiplied basically every single value I had by 2/3. This is lets me run at 360p which gives me a nice 2x for 720p and 3x for 1080p. Previously was something like 540p which wasn't great.
Still haven't figured out how to actually present tutorial text without obscuring the game though.
>>368472
me neither, anon
>>
test
>>
>>364592
Those are some nice sprites.
>>
>>371125
https://clembod.itch.io/warrior-free-animation-set
>>
File: pong 008.webm (1.19 MB, 828x574)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB WEBM
>>371125
Thanks, but they're just placeholders. I basically just browsed itch for decent-looking things with a run and swing animation to get the idea across more.
Game was a lot harder to read when it looked like this
>>
>>330953
If you anons are making Multiplayer lobbies please make then 4chan-friendly by having the option to open rooms that need a code or something and not garbage matchmaking or friend codes and shit.
>>
>>349427
This looks fuckin sick
>>
>>355997
shovelware doesn't count
>>
>>330953
I've been meaning to try making one multiplayer game but can't decide/find a good FREE solution for basic p2p + natpunch. I really don't care about either having to learn some real low level stuff, I just want a working p2p.
It looks like all current solutions require you to either buy a server or run shit on the cloud. I'd rather have some basic play-and-connect-directly-with-your-friend solution.
>>
>>374041
NAT punchthrough inherently requires a third party server. Initially you could just require people to forward ports, though. For most people that isn't too big of a deal.
Depending on the kind of game you're making you could make do with TCP, too. For something turn based this would be fine.
>>
ded
>>
>>371940
does a lobby browser not work? I guess that's not great for private rooms if you don't want to post both name and password in a thread
>>
>>362345
My buddy helped me set it up, and then the syntax is pretty straightforward.
>>
>>330953
Does anyone know how to make socket.io wait until it receives emit from the server?
>>
>>379807
if it's a callback based thing you could just block with an empty loop that gets broken
>>
>>382281
Well, I already solved it by changing the idea. I feel that system would have been bad design either way.
>>
>>382283
probably, yeah
you could look at async / promises too.
>>
File: warplock3rdwebm.webm (2.94 MB, 1920x1080)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
New class boys
>>
File: Switching.webm (2.99 MB, 1920x1000)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
Based thread.

Finished with my animation system and now I'm probably going to make a proper prototyping map to work on the monster's abilities easier.

>>349427
I had no idea underspace was multiplayer.
>>
File: fighters.gif (3.98 MB, 856x481)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB GIF
>>335164
There are three new fighters, and the netcode now has rollback.
>>
>>384794
Oooh what this game about?
>>
File: hidden.png (2.28 MB, 1915x999)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB PNG
>>384816
Asymmetrical horror shooter.
>>
>>384851
So like The Hidden from Gmod days?
>>
>>384876
ye
>>
What engines do you guys like to use? Anybody here try to build their own games from the ground up?
I've been using C and SDL (just to get an OpenGL context) with plans of making an isometric, round-based game. Playing around with normalmap lighting, because I really don't want to use and 3D...
>>
>>368989
this game doesn't look like my kind of thing, but I'd absolutely check it out just because the art and attention to detail here. looks sick
>>
File: pong 132.webm (862 KB, 640x360)
862 KB
862 KB WEBM
>>385394
The art is all placeholder, anon
>>385387
SDL2 + opengl for me, although I'm using rust
>>
>>385530
The way the characters move looks very snappy, and the way the particles blink away is nice, reminds me of cave story for some reason?
>>
File: CPU mirror match.gif (3.48 MB, 846x475)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB GIF
Coreboys has team fights and tournaments now, and pure AI matches.
>>
>>385530
So what is your game is about? You are making some variation of Bong?
>>
>>387184
Yeah, just a 1v1 tennis kinda thing with special moves and meter management. Initially started work on it because I wanted to fuck around with rollback netcode but it's pretty fun so I've kept at it
I've got a demo at https://sstrandberg.itch.io/rollback-pong although I think some of the instructions are wrong now, since moves have been added since the last time I really playtested with a lot of people.
>>
Is it possible to make a multiplayer game without wasting money on hosting a server?
>>
>>388132
Well, how does playing MP on things like Gameranger work?
>>
>>388132
Peer to peer networking, that or just having players host their own servers.
You might want a central server for discovery but but that doesn't cost much to run.
>>
I want to add multiplayer to some old singleolayer flash games and i don't nothing about coding ┬┐Where should i start to learn?
>>
>>392193
Adding multiplayer to an existing game that you don't have the source code to is almost impossible
>>
>>388132
it's not that much honestly
>>
File: online play2.gif (2.53 MB, 1270x710)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB GIF
Froggair is now online

https://froggair.herokuapp.com/
>>
>>399692
I think I seen this on /an/.
>>
>>400807
I posted it in a frogs thread
>>
File: mutual digging.gif (4.07 MB, 1154x639)
4.07 MB
4.07 MB GIF
>>399692
Diggums is up too
>>
>>400824
Well, good luck with the game anon.
>>
>>400923
is this liero
>>
File: aos.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
If I revive ace of spades would you play it /vm/?
>>
I've made pxls.space/reddit's place but on Steam Check it, it's on open beta right now:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1629900/Infinite_Pixel_Battles/
>>
File: QE71t1e_zpsz74agxbw.gif (491 KB, 144x100)
491 KB
491 KB GIF
>>330953
>What features should every multiplayer game have?

Entirely dependant on what type of game it is.
But nailing the level, system and ux design is by far more important than features. Especially for amateurs.
>>
>>411199
>ux
god I hate UI dev
>>
>>330953
>Don't be that guy who makes their game local multiplayer only and tries to rely on steam or parsec for players.
That's the only free alternative we have as gamedevs.

Basically I'm exactly like >>374041 and have been looking for years. There is, currently, not a single FREE solution for basic p2p + natpunch. And no, the majority of people and players don't know how to forward port, most of them probably don't even know what a port is.
And let's be honest, even those who knows are probably not going to open a port for a random multiplayer game made by some randoms or indies most of the time.
>>
>>418118
steam lets you use their matchmaking servers for free if your game is on there
and hosting a matchmaking server is a very minor expense, less than $5/m
>>
>>418121
Free***
>>
>>418118
>>418125
just have people port forward (really not a big deal, people do it for games like ror and that has had regular threads on /v/) until you put it on steam
there's upnp too
if you're a unityfag there's things like photon's free tiers too
>>
>>418128
>just have people port forward (really not a big deal)
I'm sorry but yes, yes it is. You have no idea how dumb and/or lazy players are. Not to mention the -omg no dont wanna be hacked-. And again, I'm talking from experience as a gamedev from having to deal with this.

>photon's free tiers
This is not a thing, please read the licenses again. I'm assuming we're talking about actual development with the intent of actually releasing the games here.
>>
>>418135
>This is not a thing, please read the licenses again. I'm assuming we're talking about actual development with the intent of actually releasing the games here.
then use steam
(or just get a server, you probably want a website anyway)
>>
>>418137
>then use steam
Anon... steam, is, not, free, either. You know the entry price right? Also you keep mentioning server but for the sake of it, I'll say out loud what you probably missed.

If I, and probably other people too, am looking for a p2p solution there's a reason. Unless you're making a MMO, there is absolutely no need to have a server or even a relay server for common multiplayer games, understand up to 2~4 players. It's as simple as starting a game, have someone connect and done, you're both now playing. Yes things like lobbies and such exist but those are for convenience, and convenience always comes with a cost.

Besides, you have to think in term of development process. Yes you can try-test everything by yourself but chances are, you will eventually reach a point where you want to have people try the game too, just to see if it works. You're suggesting adding a cost when you haven't even exited yet the testing phase.
>>
>>418142
>You know the entry price right?
Before you decide to actually pony up the $100 and get an actual appID you can use spacewar.
>If I, and probably other people too, am looking for a p2p solution there's a reason. Unless you're making a MMO, there is absolutely no need to have a server or even a relay server for common multiplayer games, understand up to 2~4 players. It's as simple as starting a game, have someone connect and done, you're both now playing. Yes things like lobbies and such exist but those are for convenience, and convenience always comes with a cost.
This is what I'm talking about, a matchmaking server that just hosts a list of lobbies and does NAT punchthrough
>Yes things like lobbies and such exist but those are for convenience, and convenience always comes with a cost.
Not having to forward ports is also a convenience
>You're suggesting adding a cost when you haven't even exited yet the testing phase.
A very minor one, or none at all if you just use spacewar

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.