[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 82 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: quake.gif (56 KB, 151x200)
56 KB
56 KB GIF
Quake
>>
quake is ok
>>
how 2 get free quake?
>>
>>264352
Quake Live
>>
File: Fun!.jpg (52 KB, 1024x576)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>262455
What was the difference between all the quake 1 ctf mods? Thunderwalker CTF, Allstar CTF, Threewave CTF?
I know midnight ctf was like a fun flash light ctf with all the lights turned off.
>>
Diabotical
>>
>getting called a cheater with my extremely average aim and basic sense of prediction

This is both funny and sad.
And people want to portrait Quake players as some wise boomers who never rage or write shitty poems in chat.
>>
>>265981
Which Quake and what server? I know for a fact that there are at least 5 cheaters on the DarkFiber FFA servers on Live
>>
File: 1594269506641.png (145 KB, 409x267)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
>>266056
QC EU.
There are retards like that.
Yes, overall it's pretty low skill so people are delusional about Quake I guess. I'm terrible compared to some people who don't even play in challengers or pro league and they'd hit A LOT more than me. It's just hilarious to even read anything like that addressed to me because I'm average at best.
I guess that happens when the overall skill drops because actually high skilled players quit or play the other modes.
>>
File: sip.png (133 KB, 984x888)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
>>264352
nQuake. Basically has everything you need to play QuakeWorld, including bots.
>>
>>266056
>I know for a fact that there are at least 5 cheaters on the DarkFiber FFA servers on Live
Really? Who? Also, on NA or EU?
>>
Quank
>>
File: 1610051270855.jpg (48 KB, 553x640)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>266185
hey i remember this match, i was I2obiN. didn't have a clue what he was talking about, seemed fine. just a sperg i think. if i recall we won that in the end convincingly? the mm is so bad desu, at one point i was getting dumped into US games because there legit wasn't anyone to play with on EU. the skill level is so wide atm it's insane, i think i played tdm with someone who took part in a qc tourney at one point and his k/d was 17:1 by the end of it, somehow managed to stay 1:1. at the same time the game is wide open to hacks. saw one guy spinning around 360ing with an aimbot, he said "i'm lagging" and quit. obviously calibrated it wrong or something.

feelsbad, the game is completely dead. i understand why but it sux that there's actually a really good fps there. the levels are incredible, the weapons are great, the movement is pretty perfect, the music is awesome. i hate the abilities though honestly, you just see the same sorlag/dk/keel spam all the time and it's tiring playing into it. i think a lot of players have noticed that the counter to other heros is often just the same hero, if you look at QC tourneys. even at the high level you just counter a dk with a dk, a keel with a keel, etc. not very dynamic honestly. kinda supports the theory that abilities are just there to get you a free kill ultimately. sure some give you info but a kill is better than info.

dunno what originally caused people to drop off so dramatically but i have to imagine it was the skill disparity.
>>
File: carlos.jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>262455
more like Dead
>>
>>266546
North America. I specced their EU server once and the cheater their didn't even try to hide it. The players in question:
E
julios
Happy dreams
Orangegirl
And possibly endomusk
>>
>>266688
there*
>>
>>266623
People started to drop it after Saber was fired and the development was abandoned.
Most of the higher skilled players I know quit to play Apex back then and didn't return.

There are decent CTF games sometimes around 23-24 CET on EU servers.
>>
>>266623
>>feelsbad, the game is completely dead.
It kinda is, but I don't understand why are they still funding QPL. It's a very weird decision.
Normally esports would be a reflection of a popularity of a game - more people watch, more people are interested, the more they will donate, buy some esports-related skins or something, increase the prize pools, etc.
Like the most obvious example is Dota - Valve only funds a portion of a TI and the vast majority of it is funded by people who buy compendiums (loot boxes) because they are interested both in the in-game content and esports with their favorite teams and players.

In QC there are like sub-1k players, basically nothing to buy at all, no new champions or any sensible content (new maps are kinda whatever), maybe a couple of thousands on twitch watching some popular matches and that's it.
Why even fund QPL? For what reason? It's obviously unpopular and the game is even more unpopular.
Looks like some charity from a top manager who's just sharing his pocket money because he liked Quake 20 years ago.
>>
QC got an update today
>>
>>267142
Probably some legal stuff that makes it cheaper to continue than to shut it down.
>>
I'm trying to git gud at dueling. It's the most satisfying competitive game I've ever played, the depth and skill ceiling feels infinite. Now I can't play any other shooters except other AFPS games, which is sad because they're all pretty much dead. Feels bad that I missed out on the glory days.
>>
>>268050
which title you playin in?
>>
>>262455
The original team fortess was like doing heroin for the first time. Open gl on a monster card... the sound effects were pure macabre. I AM RIGID!!!
>>
>>268050
>I'm trying to git gud at dueling. It's the most satisfying competitive game I've ever played, the depth and skill ceiling feels infinite. Now I can't play any other shooters except other AFPS games, which is sad because they're all pretty much dead. Feels bad that I missed out on the glory days.
There's still a chance to get a proper shooter that is not:
1. outsourced to a noname company and abandoned shortly after
2. not cucked to a shitty platform that nobody likes with a wonky visual style that nobody likes

Even QC could work well enough but the chain of mismanagement, stupidity and jewish greed cemented its doom.
>>
quake champions is the quake 4 of the modern age
>>
>>266185
>>265981

I get that too sometimes. Mostly from the resident "mentally ill" like VODA on EU servers, he has some sort of a brain problem. I haven't played a match with him in it where he didn't accuse someone of cheating/walling.

Otherwise i have pretty good rails and hundreds of hours on slash. So it's either "rails too good" (mostly in the 40% which is nothing in casual matches) and one time i got something about using scripting for moving with slash too good. Which i took as a compliment.

When other people get accused i usually check their accounts on the stats page to see if they are likely to be legit oldfags or if there are any suspicious numbers. Usually there isn't but had found at least 4 obvious cheaters. All of them were banned eventually, but its a free game so..

Also theres an alternate dev stat website made by community members that has much more data scraped from the stats server, it shows the invisible casual mode MMR, so one could check what skill level are these accusers, are they too noob to tell whats just good and whats cheating.
>>
>>271085
Whats with this subconscious redditspacing i did.
>>
>>271086
>redditspacing
Don't parrot this newfaggy shit. Such spacing was used a long time before fucking plebbit.
>>
>>271085
>Otherwise i have pretty good rails and hundreds of hours on slash. So it's either "rails too good" (mostly in the 40% which is nothing in casual matches) and one time i got something about using scripting for moving with slash too good. Which i took as a compliment.

I wish I could learn how to play Slash or any characters with air control.
But I'm a lazy boomer and I'm too used to VQ3 physics and can't play anything else, it feels off.
It's especially terrible in CTF that I like to play because, obviously, Slash and the air control characters are heavily dominating there.
>>
>>271085
>Also theres an alternate dev stat website made by community members that has much more data scraped from the stats server, it shows the invisible casual mode MMR, so one could check what skill level are these accusers, are they too noob to tell whats just good and whats cheating.

You have to use their .exe to track your stats though (or have someone else using it in your match).
Questionable safety.
>>
>>271095
One thing i wish there was just an obstacle map with open spaces just for practice, so you wouldn't have to deal with hitting corners when trying to internalise the basics. Its kind of a pain learning CPM for me as well when i constantly have to spend time repositioning from small rooms.

Also for slash i use a mouse2 for crouching, i feel that having it on the mouse relieves alot of stress from the pinky finger having to constantly hold a button down, and makes sliding more intuitive.

>>271097
We must be thinking of different websites then. I was talking about this one https://dev.quake-champions.com/ . It seems to track alot of stuff without downloading anything. That said due to the bethesdas statistics server being broken for months now, it's data is limited. When it worked in its fullest you could look up games several months back, look up your accuracy improvements within the selected timeframe, see hidden mmr's etc.
>>
>>271121
>obstacle
Speaking of the obstacles, I don't exactly remember how it was back then in Q3, but some edges, corners and the other obstacles annoy me as fuck in QC. For instance dm6 has lots of them.
You can't strafe jump near walls because you'll get stuck all the time.

I'm talking about the same site. https://dev.quake-champions.com/about#data-sources
You could read it there. You have to use their .exe tracker in order to get your stats tracked on their website.
It also works, as I said, if someone else uses it in your match.
If nobody uses it, your stats won't be tracked. The official tracker is dead.
>>
>>271123
Ah, i see. Probably not gonna run community executables. Sucks the server maintenance is so bad. Is it a sign of something to come, cutting costs? Hope not.

Yep, dm6 has an annoying tendency of ruining your movement flow. Although im not an expert myself, there's corner clipping function like in the older games still, so you have to move at a certain speed and angle to cut through the corner, but those arches on the top floors are a real buzzkill way too often. Other maps don't seem to have that issue, at least not as common.
>>
>>271121
The basics are a meme and there's no point learning them for a game that doesn't have defrag. In reality you'll always be doing awkward in and out of doorways and around obstacles and hitting your head shit so training yourself to do pads is wasting your time.
>>
>>271092
Not that guy, but I don't even understand the bash. Wouldn't reddit spacing be two lines between paragraphs because of how their code operates?
>>
>>271322
>Not that guy, but I don't even understand the bash. Wouldn't reddit spacing be two lines between paragraphs because of how their code operates?
That's just a stupid buzzword that wasn't even around a few years ago.
It's completely meaningless, but since a lot of retards here are obsessed with plebbit (ironically, I didn't even know about it like a decade ago, but thanks to non-stop spam on 4chan about plebbit this, plebbit that, I actually checked it).
>>
>>266688
Darkfiber is full of psycho boomers who were a level or two below pro back in the day and have been playing FFA everyday for 2 decades but still have to toggle if they get wrecked. At least the NA sever gets reeled by the twitch bot, the worst you normally see is walling.
Q3 players have always been fucking psychos though, even now the Q2 tastyspleen ffa server is mostly stoners with gumby skins lol.
>>
>>262455
You gonna host a /vm/ QW FFA server or what
>>
>>272083
>full of psycho boomers below pro
lolno. Most of the boomers there are absolute tards who you'd swear picked up a video game for the first time yesterday. If you're blessed by spawns you can rack kills on them easily. The are legit good players there but the really, really """GOOD""" players like I listed are script-kiddies. Or rather script-boomers. It is hilarious to see them go 50-4... on Campgrounds... with 19-21/32 people... on a fucking server with insta respawns for both players and weapons. Or better yet, like you said, how if they might lose 1 game, suddenly out of nowhere they make a comeback EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.
>>
how to get free quake?
>>
>>272330
I can spin up a port if people play on it, I've got a few up already for other game modes. There's already a pretty active server for FFA though.
>>
>>273286
For Quake 1 use nquake
For Quake 2: q2s.tastyspleen.net/
For Quake 3 get the 1.32 point release and follow this: q3retro.com/client-setup/
>>
>>273414
thx man
>>
Which quake version is still alive and also fun?
>>
>>274467
Champions has both as far as afps goes. With many issues, it is really fun to play. After 2+ years it's harder to stop playing than when i started, but thats probably because i got way better too, and the game has improved, not performance wise, but balance with a couple of extra meh maps.
>>
>>266688
Eh, I don't buy it. orangegirl and endomusk aren't even that good.
>>
>>274493
>not performance wise
it definitely has, i get 200-240 fps with detail/texture quality on ultra with my 6 year old titan x
didn't a couple of years ago
>>
>>274634
On second thought, I will give you endomusk. But replace him with fucking Praj. Can't believe I left him out. THAT faggot is undeniably using cheats. All you need to do is spec him on DF's twitch and holy fucking shit
>>
>>274467
Quake Live DESU
>>274493
Is incorrect. There is absolutely no community left in champions. Its just que for random FFA, Duel, whatever and hope its a fun game.

Quake Live although older still has a lot of community servers that are very active at nearly all times of the day. Servers range from duel, to ctf, to clan arena, to freezetag and even race occasionally. Meet some people, chill playing Clan Arena and learn the game. Nothing gets comfier than that.
>>
>>274955
I don't think Praj cheats. However, especially in duel, he NEVER plays anyone at his ELO. Its always some sub 1500 scrub.

The very few occasions he does play someone 1800+ he gets dumpstered
>>
File: Gamma & Contrast.png (1.19 MB, 1366x768)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
I have a few questions and I guess here would be a good place to ask:
Is it true that QW server can work with multiple source ports/clients and not just specific one? That sounds kind of dumb to me, but I'm not an expert.
What would be a QuakeWorld client that's closest to OG Quake like Quakespasm-Spiked? Like, I tried to get my hands on ezQuake, but just can't understand its configuration: I wanna have default HUD with vanilla visuals, pic related.
Is NetQuake really just very janky or some source port makes it better?

Initially I wanted to not be a lazy ass and search for answer myself, but I think it's better to ask those who has better understanding of these things.
>>
>>275101
Nah senpai. He's the first player on that server to make Mr believe there's cheaters. 50-4 9n campgrounds with 22 people. Speccing him in twitch with way too many "how'd he know he was there"/followed behind wall moments. Somehow ALWAYS knows when an item will spawn. I don't believe he's legit for a second
>>
>>275577
I can help you configure ezquake to be vanilla esque when I get home. Could drop some command in here or if you have a way to contact you I can help.
>>
>>275929
That would be awesome. Thank you. Although I'll head to bed soon, so might not respond in time.
I think just drop em here - maybe other anons find them useful as well. Not sure this thread will disappear any time soon... I hope, at least.
>>
>>275871
>Somehow ALWAYS knows when an item will spawn

what is timing?
>>
>>275981
>>275577
ok so download nQuake and then delete the pak files it comes with. Instead replace them with the pak files from your copy of Quake.
Keep in mind I'm a bit of a quakelet and always used modern HUDs. The commands you're looking for regarding the hud are going to be scr_newhud 0 and cl_sbar 1. For textures, start by typing "default" in the console, and then gl_no24bit 1.
If you want software style rendering the commands gl_texturemode "gl_nearest" as well as gl_texturemode2d "gl_nearest" should do a nice approximation.
When I specifically use those HUD commands mine doesn't really look like vanilla Quake, I think it might be that QuakeWorld had a different HUD to begin with. The visuals are great though. Personally, I recommend using scr_newhud 1 and then typing hud_editor to get a fully customizable HUD where you can click drag drop and resize the elements to your liking. I imagine you could also get the assets for the vanilla hud and use them this way.
If you have any questions or some of this doesn't work let me know, there's like a million and a half commands relating to the hud. "cvarlist *hud*" to try and pick through them if you'd like.
>>
File: ezquake000.png (1.09 MB, 1366x768)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>276190
Installed it into my Steam folder (that already has QSS in there). So far so good, actually. Thanks. Still have a lot of questions though:
>Shotgun stays still when I move. How do I change that?
>What about music and mission packs? Should I do some extra steps to play SoA and DoE or it should work like base game right now? And how to I make music work? I have it installed, but it doesn't play. Doesn't support OGG?
>How do I "get the assets for the vanilla hud and use them this way". Don't wanna be too fancy: custom HUD's in AD are nice, but I want to keep it simple and vanilla.
>Any gamma and contrast settings? It still feels a bit "filtered" after getting the right texture modes.
>Why that... Uh-h-h... "Lava rock" in the air is white?
>>
File: ezquake001.png (932 KB, 1366x768)
932 KB
932 KB PNG
>>276400
>>How do I "get the assets for the vanilla hud and use them this way". Don't wanna be too fancy: custom HUD's in AD are nice, but I want to keep it simple and vanilla.
>>Any gamma and contrast settings? It still feels a bit "filtered" after getting the right texture modes.
Nevermind, figuring some stuff out on my own. It seems like I would just have to play with transparent HUD because doubt you can hide status bar like in QSS. It sucks, but okay.
>>
>>276426
For a little more info on the cvarlist command, it functions like "cvarlist <abc>" but if you surround the text youre searching with asterisks it finds every cvar with that string of letters in it. "cvarlist *bob*" or "cvarlist *kick*" for example could be helpful for finding commands regarding those things. Issues arise when the ezquake devs give variables very undescriptive names.

If you want to play singleplayer I'd recommend not playing on QuakeWorld and using a client like QSS or something. To get music working it depends on the sourceport, ezQuake does not support it. Typically you create a subfolder called "music" and throw the tracks in there. You could also put the soundtrack on a CD and pop that in your cd-rom tray, and it'll play in-game (maybe port dependent.)

The vanilla assets should be inside the vanilla pak files. Honestly I think if the game is using non-vanilla assets at all its because you didn't remove some pak files that came with one of your sourceports. I'd check carefully to make sure they're all removed.

as for gamma and contrast settings, try cvarlist *gamma* and cvarlist *contrast* there are quite a few settings to toy with in that regard.

I don't know why the lava rock is white, thats really strange! Try gl_fb_bmodels 0?
>>
File: 1609030793877.png (225 KB, 523x470)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
huh
>>
File: ezquake003.png (835 KB, 1366x768)
835 KB
835 KB PNG
>>276428
>For a little more info on the cvarlist command, it functions like "cvarlist <abc>" but if you surround the text youre searching with asterisks it finds every cvar with that string of letters in it. "cvarlist *bob*" or "cvarlist *kick*" for example could be helpful for finding commands regarding those things. Issues arise when the ezquake devs give variables very undescriptive names.
Alright. Will try to keep that in mind.
>If you want to play singleplayer I'd recommend not playing on QuakeWorld and using a client like QSS or something.
Nah, I was talking about Mission Packs multiplayer. I'll stick with QSS for SP, obviously.
>To get music working it depends on the sourceport, ezQuake does not support it.
Huh. There's MP3 Player, so I guess that something. Probably need to either swtich to that format or copy all music in ezQuake's folder.
>The vanilla assets should be inside the vanilla pak files. Honestly I think if the game is using non-vanilla assets at all its because you didn't remove some pak files that came with one of your sourceports. I'd check carefully to make sure they're all removed.
That's fine. Check >>276426. It works mostly well for me. Just can't make it like QS because it makes the whole HUD transparent instead. Use only QSS.
>as for gamma and contrast settings, try cvarlist *gamma* and cvarlist *contrast* there are quite a few settings to toy with in that regard.
Already did that.
>I don't know why the lava rock is white, thats really strange! Try gl_fb_bmodels 0?
Will do! And... Nope.
>>
>>276473
Maybe I should've used FodQuake/ClassicQ or even FTEQW instead? lol
Although I suppose that ezQuake is "QuakeWorld's Quakespasm", so probably that's a better pick.
>>
>>275096
quake live is cool if you're okay with 10 player clan arena at 150 ping
>>
>>276685
that's all of my favorite things
>>
>>276485
I should've.
Wanted to reinstall nQuake. For some reason its deinstallation deleted Discord and messed up some of my other programs. Great.
>>
>>277198
Could you make a more detailed bug report? I can pass that along to the dev(s). You used an uninstaller from nquake.com?
>>
Quake sucks. Unreal tournament is where it's at.
>>
File: 1599507155773.png (667 KB, 898x802)
667 KB
667 KB PNG
>unreal
>>
>>266623
>>266185

It feels like I'm being elitist or something when I say this, but playing anything except Duel in QC is a bit like loading up CS:GO and just playing Gungame or something. Like, there's fun to be had and everything but you're just playing a weird little version of the normal game that isn't meant to be taken seriously.

I'm not sure how many people play Duel versus the other modes, but I'm around 1550 ELO in EU and I'm waiting a minute or two to get a match, and it's usually a good, close, game. Sometimes, one player just gets a good start and runs away with the game because the other guy tried some risky aggression to try and snatch the lead back. But I've had many matches that end up as 5:3's, 6:7's, 10:9's, Sudden Death's and so on.

>if you look at QC tourneys. even at the high level you just counter a dk with a dk, a keel with a keel, etc. not very dynamic honestly.

I have no idea what tournaments you're watching, but I can't remember the last time I saw a DK in Duel. I've seen the odd Keel. What I usually see in QPL is Doomguy because double jumps are so good.
>>
>>277475
QC not having active competitive 4on4 scene is embarrassing.
>>
is there a way to change your ign name in qc? i chose a retarded ass name during the beta for some reason
>>
>>277299
>Could you make a more detailed bug report?
I think I cleared off everything already, but will try explain.
>You used an uninstaller from nquake.com?
Yeah. It uninstalled Discord and μTorrent Web + messed up Warcraft 3 (Not Reforged), CascView, CCleaner and Defraggler (Can't access them from "All Programs" tab in Start Menu).
The most annoying thing is that I can't reinstall Discord now due to it being junky shit when it comes to installation/updating. I might need to reinstall Windows for shit to work because typical "Delete AppData folders" doesn't do shit.
>>
>>277476
>competitive 4on4
no such thing
>>
>>277515
Pay them $10.
>>
>>277560
TDM used to be a thing.
>>
>>262455
Unreal
>>
>>262455
meta monarchy unreal
>>
>>277560
Competitive TDM is most definitely a thing in QuakeWorld and Quake 3. Devs with no clue of what the community likes for game modes just assumed duel was the only mode and turned 4on4 into a casual, instant weapon respawn fuckfest.
>>
>>277475
Well you aren't wrong. The game is balanced for duel and only duel really.

>>277476
Like I said above, the game isn't balanced for that shit, it's fucking dumb. Quake is a 1v1 test of minds more than anything....you bitch.

>>277600
Holy fuck, this loser is still alive. I thought you died off with the DBT shills.

>>277745

QW is obsolete trash. Have you seen the "pro" tournaments? They are a fucking joke. Any player in the QPL would rape those clowns.
>>
>>277365
imo they are both good and enjoyable
>>
>>277522
Were those things all in the same install directory by chance? Devs are confused as to how this could have happened.

>>277861
Duel?
>>
>>277888
>Were those things all in the same install directory by chance?
Not really. Only CCleaner and Defraggler shared the same folder, from what I remember. nQuake was in C:\ with CascView and Warcraft 3. Discord and μTorrent Web were somewhere else, I can't remember specifically.
>Devs are confused as to how this could have happened.
Just like me. I guess it has something to do with deinstallation options, but again: My brain is weird and didn't keep the details in mind for some god damn reason. Perhaps I messed up picking the wrong method while thinking that it was the safest option, who knows.
>>
>>277888
No I don't Duel bc I am trash.

https://steamcharts.com/app/611500

QC GROWING THOUGH LOVE TO SEE IT! BLESS THE RAINS!
>>
>>277861
>QW is obsolete trash. Have you seen the "pro" tournaments?
Who the flying fuck cares about esports with a 25 year old game? Quake TF still feels fun as fuck. I wish there was a weekly server like /v/'s TF2
>>
>>278037
What day of the week do you think would be best? I'll host it. Full disclosure I only have played DM and no TF, but it looks really fun and the only guys who play weekly now aren't exactly rookie friendly.
>>
>>278037
That's fine but some bozo on here was trying to say it was the most competitive Quake. It does look fun and you definitely won't have to worry about having the hardware to run it smoothly
>>
>>278118
It is the most competitive Quake.
>>
>>278184
D E L U S I O N A L
>>
>>277888
>>277914
As it turns out, I was kind of full of shit. Here's the deal:
μTorrent Web and Discord weren't uninstall by it, but just affected in a same way as other programs. They were in different directions where I didn't notice them. I couldn't update and install Torrent because Windows 10 doesn't like this web app anymore, so I ended up getting rid of it. Discord is (at least usually) stored in AppData folders. I don't think it was the reason why it didn't let me uninstall it though, its known fact that sometimes it's a pain in ass to update/install. So I went with other option and deleted what I had in AppData folders just to be sure that everything is fine and app can normally be updated and stuff.

Sorry to you and devs you've talked to for causing some confusion with it. Wanted to correct myself in order to not cause any of you more trouble. In regards to QuakeWorld, I've been looking to other common ports and yeah... It's just confusing overall.

I wanted to ask an on-topic question though: What's up with Mission Packs and QuakeWorld? Was there even an option to play SoA/DoE MP through QuakeWorld? I figured that QW source ports might focus primarily on original game since that's what everyone plays, but I want to be sure.
>>
File: crazyrj4chan.webm (2.52 MB, 1280x720)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB WEBM
>>278559
I only really got into QuakeWorld about 2-3 years ago but yeah, those missions packs definitely (used) to be played at one point in QuakeWorld. Most people just play the dmX maps and e1m2 nowadays. Any custom map gets referred to as "kenya" and even maps like e3m7tdm get called Kenya despite being a revision of a single player map. Truly ezquake (and specifically the nquake package) are the easiest way to play QW online. Make sure not to mix sourceport install even if they say it should be fine with separate folders etc. because it always just breaks stuff. For minimal effort MP + SP I have one folder of Quake with ezQuake and one folder of quake with Quakespasm-spiked.
>>
>>278588
>I only really got into QuakeWorld about 2-3 years ago but yeah, those missions packs definitely (used) to be played at one point in QuakeWorld.
Oh. That's good to know. Just noticed that when I select mission packs in ezQuake, there's no option for binding its weapons in controls. I guess it should be technically possible through config file directly.
>Most people just play the dmX maps and e1m2 nowadays. Any custom map gets referred to as "kenya" and even maps like e3m7tdm get called Kenya despite being a revision of a single player map.
Noticed that. Also a lot of TF servers.
>Truly ezquake (and specifically the nquake package) are the easiest way to play QW online.
It probably is. I probably might as well settle with ezQuake since I don't need any enhancements and shit. I just want the classic Quake client with standard controls, skins, graphics, HUD, interface and all that... I'm not really into all this modern/competitive enhancements on that webm (gameplay is neat though), let's just say that. Even if it will result in massive disadvantage: I'm going to suffer a lot at first either way, so it doesn't matter.
>Make sure not to mix sourceport install even if they say it should be fine with separate folders etc.
I'll consider it. What's funny is that I didn't mix shit this time. nQuake was separated from my QSS folder, so that couldn't be the cause of that issue.
>>
>>278622
>Noticed that. Also a lot of TF servers.
Always wanted to try TF but the American guys only have one day out of the week where they really "tolerate" total noobs. I'd totally throw one up for /vm/ if people played on it.
>>
>>278694
>Always wanted to try TF but the American guys only have one day out of the week where they really "tolerate" total noobs.
Heh. I suppose that's a given when it comes to these communities centered around specific mod/map/whatnot.
>>
File: qspy_player_profile.gif (21 KB, 243x300)
21 KB
21 KB GIF
>>278622
>I just want the classic Quake client with standard controls, skins, graphics, HUD, interface and all that...
Alright, so I went on to poke around original QWCL that you get from Steam and search Internet for some details about its differences from original Quake. With remembering some stuff from ezQuake's settings and such, I think I'm more informed about what "original QuakeWorld experience" might be like:
That transparent HUD is actually a QW port, not just its source ports. Makes sense why there's no such function as making it more of a my QSS's HUD. Although maybe its possible via ezQuake's settings, I don't know.
Skins are also QW's feature, but by default it should use base system + I remember seeing shirt/pants settings in ezQuake. Since I've used nQuake last time, I think I'll be good to go just by deleating these odd "HD" skins and game should use old ones instead... or not since everyone is probably uses custom skin anyway.

Will take a look at ezQuake (don't wanna mess with nQuake too much nowadays) and classicQ. FTE is interesting, but I suppose its too "huge" for my intends to use it: I have QSS already. Don't think I'll miss out on too much by going to ezQuake directly and classicQ since one of its goals are supposedly "Reproducing the "classic" QuakeWorld appearance as much as possible". Although I need to look into "ez 'vs' fod" more to see what's the difference between the two. Still, I feel like I'll probably just go use ezQuake.

Thanks again to an anon that actually helped me to sort some stuff out here.
>>
>>262455
diabotical threads keep dying. how ironic LMAO
>>
>>279774
For future reference, nquake is simply the ezquake executable bundled with custom pak file(s) that give you copies of the DMx and E1Mx maps for free with gpl compliant textures as well as the hd skins and stuff. If you already own quake and want to avoid all the nquake stuff, the ezquake exe + your pak files are the way to go for sure. As for custom skins, you won't load any assets that you didn't download, so if people are using custom skins you won't see them. No nonsense like mikus running around in CSS.
I don't have my SSD with quake on it in my PC right now, but try out cl_sbaralpha to make the hud not transparent
>>
For anyone that wants to get in on some 4on4 action right now, you can grab of copy of quake at nquake.com and then in the console type "connect central.usquake.world:28504" The USQW Community does weekly 4on4 pickups at this time. If they switch servers to better accommodate out of region players you can track them at badplace.eu
>>
>>279826
https://twitchtracker.com/games/516385

Literally 0 channels and viewers right now. Love it.
>>
>>280026
>For future reference, nquake is simply the ezquake executable bundled with custom pak file(s) that give you copies of the DMx and E1Mx maps for free with gpl compliant textures as well as the hd skins and stuff.
I knew that. Anon suggested nQuake specifically, so I thought it's more prepared for multiplayer or something like that.
>If you already own quake and want to avoid all the nquake stuff, the ezquake exe + your pak files are the way to go for sure.
Great! No offense to pals that work on nQuake: again, I'm not a fan of those skins, textures and stuff.
>As for custom skins, you won't load any assets that you didn't download, so if people are using custom skins you won't see them. No nonsense like mikus running around in CSS.
I can do even that? Alright, that's a win-win for me then.
>I don't have my SSD with quake on it in my PC right now, but try out cl_sbaralpha to make the hud not transparent
It's not a big details, but thanks for heads up. I'm just not a fan of how HUD looks on >>276426 - I prefer either my example of QSS or just transparent HUD. Latter is a original QuakeWorld feature, so I'm fine with it.

Actually, there're a few more things:
Borderless fullscreen is an option, right?
Can I bind mission pack weapons to similar keys as default weapons (like in QuakeSpasm)? I don't remember seeing an option for them in settings, even though I specifically changed the "game".
>>278588
>those missions packs definitely (used) to be played at one point in QuakeWorld
There's no need to do some extra work to play on mission pack servers, right? I was messing around with QSS multiplayer lately and was getting weird glitches when connecting to DoE server through base "game".
>>
>>264352
https://playmorepromode.com/guides/cpma-cnq3-installation
>>
>>280243
>There's no need to do some extra work to play on mission pack servers, right?
I think I need. I can use "gamedir" command, but ezQuake crashes when I try to open Singleplayer or load CTF map in rogue.
>>
File: RangerGibHead.png (83 KB, 300x300)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
>>280313
>Just a quick update from 2020! I ve been enjoying Quake yet again with a friend over the internet.
>I can CONFRIM ezquake works perfectly with Coop-play and with Mission packs.
>For anyone who may need this: qwprogs. Works with fuhquake, ezquake and some others.
Great!
>Your EzQuake client must not be higher than 1.8.2 otherwise you ll get bugs.
...of course. I guess I have to install older version because these qwprogs didn't do anything for me on latest version.
http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-help/general-help/1930-mission-pack-1-and-2-startup-issues?p=281009#post281009
>>
File: ezquake001.png (1.09 MB, 1366x768)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>278588
>Make sure not to mix sourceport install even if they say it should be fine with separate folders etc. because it always just breaks stuff.
Alright, you was kind of right.
>>281211
Since I'm an idiot that insists on launching both Quake and QuakeWorld from Steam, there's an issue with config files: while ezQuake uses its own config, it'll try to exec QSS's config from mission pack directory that'll crash it. Fix for it, as you might've guessed, is simply moving those configs from these. Not sure if it's possible to somehow force ezQuake to ignore them, but that will do.
Aside from that, those qwprogs work... sort of. Some model-related error did appear in SoE, but only for the first time I launched it. Other than that, only bug I've encountered is that I can't progress in Singleplayer: when I select a difficulty/episode, it restarting the starting map instead. Doesn't matter since I don't want to play campaign through QW. Weapons work, HIPDM1 and CTF1 maps work... Seems okay to me.

I suppose on that I should get the fuck out of there: It should be a Quake thread, not my personal blog about setting up a QuakeWorld client.
>>
>>281281
>Not sure if it's possible to somehow force ezQuake to ignore them, but that will do.
It's actually possible: cfg_legacy_exec 0
>>
File: 1611781131300.jpg (69 KB, 460x797)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>262455
I'm going to pick up Quake Champions again, wish it had more cute girls though
>>
is it a good time to start playing quake or have i missed the train already?
>>
>>285288
Give it a few years and you'll be decent but you'll have to accept the fact that there are quite a lot of autistic veterans that will always be better than you
>>
>>285288
Best time to play QC was maybe a year ago but there's still noobs playing.
>>
>>279826
>diabotical threads keep dying. how ironic LMAO
>>280152
>Literally 0 channels and viewers right now. Love it.
I was talking about Diabotical to the people who aren't Quake players because I was a little excited about it and wanted to share it with the others. My Q background is Q2 > Q3 > Q3 OSP > QC. Never played QL.
I know 2gd for a long time as a caster who's fun to watch. And I knew that he's a decent Quake player as well. My expectations weren't that high, but there was hope.

Well, it ended just like all the other modern arena shooters.
On top of a bland design that I find really boring (after all Quake is not just r_picmip 5 and soulless maps and some tank_jr models, but also style, sounds, aesthetics that maybe you don't even care about anymore, but you still know that essentially it's here), it also got buttfucked by Covid + EGS shit platform that nobody cares about.
All the appeal of EGS is some free games that people claim on the website without even installing their launcher.

No LANs because of Covid. No online because of EGS and the fact that it failed to attract any new players.
So in the end it's just a pointless QL clone with the same Quake boomers.

Another failure.
>>
>>285540
It didn't help that James and the DBT fanboys were actively trying to kill QC. 2GD saw some good Beta numbers and got arrogant. It pissed off a lot of Quake fans. We could have coexisted, but 2GD chose violence.
>>
File: 1610241373079.jpg (13 KB, 236x236)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>285540
>Q2 > Q3 > Q3 OSP > QC. Never played QL
>>
>>286389
I stopped caring about Quake after OSP.
And the last time I checked, it was some dogshit browser version of Quake that I ignored.
>>
>>262455
So there is a shit ton of maps in Quake Live. Im only really interested in playing deathmatch an it's derivatives, which are the most played maps that I should learn?
>>
>>277365
Every UT before 4 is unplayable because of the clunky as fuck double tap doge, it was excusable in 99' but there is no reason why that kept it that way in 2004 and especially in 3.
>>
>>287104
>Blood Run
>Campgrounds
Chemical Reaction
Dredwerkz
>Furious Heights
Hell's Gate
Hidden Fortress
Lost World
Retribution
>Sinister
Trinity
Green texts are most played, depends on the server though.
>>286639
You missed maybe 2 years of good shit. Then they introduced insanely shitty monetization and tweaked cvars until it died, the end.
>>
>>285288
you'll be fine, there'll be some mm stomps but eventually it should stop putting you in unbalanced games
>>285181
nyx is cute
>>
>>285540
I wonder hypothetically if Tim would let 2gd release the game platform free and have it cross-platform would that make a difference at this point. Or is it over.
>>
>>287240
Thanks Anon.
>>
>>287556
it's likely just a time gated contract, after a couple years (too late) they could probably list it on other platforms
>>
File: 10985045651.jpg (56 KB, 751x1063)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>287251
Galena is cuter
>>
File: retro2.jpg (266 KB, 1280x1024)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>287116
i actually went back and played UT with a friend, both the first one and 04.. so much worse than I remember it. in my head the movement felt just slightly slower than Q3, but playing it now again as an adult after modern games and QC it just seems so sloppy. kind of a shame, maybe on a CRT it would feel better? i have such fond memories of a lan party i went to in 2004 that the main game was UT04, they had pure pwnage playing in the background for the entire weekend. got a cd key from an absolute bro there and we just played all the game modes all weekend. really wish shit could go back to being that simple
>>
>>287116
>the clunky as fuck double tap doge
Double tap dodge is perfectly usable IMO.
>>291727
Me too actually. I reinstalled ut2k4 a few days ago and did a deathmatch on deck17, and it surprised me how slow and easy the game felt after playing quake live for a few hundred hours (I basically only played ut back then but I got into quake last year.) Still a fun game though IMO.
>>
>>285288
I started playing QC last december
It's totally not a "good" time as arena shooters are generally unpopular but it's an "OK" time, unless you are in AU or something you can get games going
Also it's not that hard skill wise as some put it to be, you'll progress pretty fast while you're learning the basics, it's actually going to be tougher to progress once you'll get beyond the absolute basics
>>
>>292209
I used to think the difficulty was overstated as well, until I started watching and learning more about duel. Once you start seeing how much depth there is in duel, there really is no skill ceiling. I think 1v1 Quake duel is hardest esport and it's not even close imo.
>>
>>292295
duel is by far the hardest mode in any fps game, there is a very good reason the mode has been dominated by ~30 people in the world for the past 10 years, because it's extremely difficult. most people give up once they become mid tier at duel because it becomes extremely difficult to get better after this point because you feel like you're doing a lot of things correct but then you get destroyed by someone slightly better than you. you have to be a certain type of person to really get into it and get good. plus the good people have been playing it for 10+ years and they know everything to expect from you and are working completely beyond your abilities
>>
>>291872
yeh agreed it's still fun
>>292508
you basically need the attitude of a professional athlete but without the expectation of getting paid for anything
>>
>>292508
>duel is by far the hardest mode in any fps game, there is a very good reason the mode has been dominated by ~30 people in the world for the past 10 years
Not to undermine the importance of Quake duels, but you are ignoring the facts about:
1. Extremely tiny playerbase
2. New players like Raisy coming from some fucking CS and compete extremely hard with Quake veterans, second to only Rapha.

I'm pretty sure that if more than 1000 players played Quake for the last 10 years, then we'd have completely different people in the top.
I can't even imagine how different the scene would be with, let's say, 100,000 active players across the world.
Idolizing the current pro Quake players is like feeding your nostalgia and falsely pretending that Quake is any harder than the other competitive games.
>>
>>292560
if it was more popular there would obviously more good players but it takes a very rare person to really get dueling, you can look at guys like zorak, rey, ballin, and julbars for people who have played the game for a long time and they are still a tier below guys like rapha and dahang. it takes particular skills that are not in tac shooters like cs. even when ql was popular it was still dominated by a very small ground of people
>>
>>262455
how come quake doesn't have any earthquakes in it?
>>
>>292560
Raisy was playing Quake for a long while, just wasn't competing. He was already amazing at QL when Champions came out.

>>292565
I agree even when QL was one of the most known esports, many players couldn't get anywhere. The nuance at the top is insane. They utilize the 3d space of a map in a crazy way. The way they create angles and opportunities and also deny angles and opportunities....it's just art.
>>
>>292583
cs is more of an angle game than quake, dueling is more about knowing what your opponent wants to do and picking the best response to counter it and fuck his plan up. thats mostly why a guy like agent was so much better than everyone else at diabotical, he was dumpstering guys simply because he knew how to read everyone, his combat skills are fucking awful
>>
Duals in Quake are a resource management game with FPS mechanics. It's really interesting to see top-level players choose when and where to frag their opponent so as not to give a free item off spawn.
>>
>>292295
what I meant is it's easy to start playing and stop being like the very last dude in a FFA match or the worst dude on the team, because it actually takes little practice. It's not the start that is psychologically hard to get over, the hard part comes after that

t. < 1000 ELO noob
>>
>>292588
gotta love those agent's seemingly "random" control rockets
I really dislike his personality, but that shit is fucking awesome
>>
>>292588

Yeah CS is more of an angle game for sure I'm just saying top level pros try to also not give up any rail angles while also creating ridiculous angles for rail or attack themselves with movement and rocket jumps etc. They play the entire 3d space of a map so well, it's hard to even comprehend unless you're on that level.

>>293044
Yeah you're right about that. Honestly most people in pub matches are shit at real Quake, they just run around spamming rockets, and that's a viable pub strat.
>>
>>293045
he looks like such a retard when he does that kind of stuff, but he really does know exactly what he's doing when he throws out those shots. i'll be watching him thinking why is he spamming that at such a weird angle and then the guy comes jumping around the corner and gets a rocket in the face
>>
>>292828
the best guy to watch for interesting decision making is evil, he has a very particular play style and he makes very strange decisions that don't seem to make a lot of sense but what he's actually doing is playing mental games with the other guy because he knows how the other guy responds in certain situations. he used to mentally fuck with cypher all the time, go watch some of their 125fps matches. you can just tell watching cypher that he's raging out of his mind behind the screen
>>
>snorts a line of G-Fuel
>>
>>293224
real nice, but shouldn't you had to switch for the mg after the 3d rail vs a medium champ?
>>
>>293230

Heck no.
>>
how do I get good quakebros?
PS also how are you supposed to counter scale?
>>
>>293224
4 x 4
ratio 1:1
accuracy 100%
>>
Quack
>>
>>287240
Asylum as well, although mostly for CA in my experience.
>>292571
>He didn't play Dissolution of Eternity.
>>
We've got a Diabotical District Amateur League going on each month since February. The finals for this month happen this sunday, so about now is a good time to hop in in preparation of the next month. Somehow we've managed to attract enough new players that we had to create a new division just for them, and more people are willing to coach them as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEHUf0njVwY

You can find our Discord server over at:
https://discord.gg/HfbpkGKg[/spoiler[
>>
>>294290

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SYgPTnHYfc
>>
>>293428
>how do I get good quakebros?
Play a lot, daily Kovaak routine for muscle memory and aim.
Watch VODs, watch your own games to understand your fuckups.
>>
quake 4 is pretty cool. i like the slopejumps and crouchsliding. dunno about duel but ffa has got players every day
>>
File: anna.jpg (1.22 MB, 3840x2160)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>292560
Raisy is not a new player and was playing QL before and alongside CS. you'd still have this upper bracket elite that forms in just about every game and sport anyway. chucking another 99,000 players at the game probably wouldn't change that at all, especially against guys who have been playing Quake for a large portion of their life.

To get guys like rapha is extremely rare in just about any small population game. even top level guys in chess it's basically a miracle they exist at all. mostly because the time dedication to be that good is insane. the reality is if you look across most ranked games playerbases the overwhelming majority of players are gold tier at best and the remaining population makes up silver or bronze.

even in large population games you see the same pattern of a small (relatively) population of players who hard commit to the game and among them there is a small portion who are at the very top consistently. you can artificially fuck that up with games like Overwatch where the devs just decide to change the meta by introducing new shit.

saying duel is the hardest thing in fps is a bit absolute, but to the average player who likes to play to win. ask them to play a moba or CSGO ranked and they'll be like
>"yah fine"
ask them to play 1v1 sc2 ranked and they'll just refuse, people think of Quake duel the same way. the majority of even competitive players will not be interested in it.
>>
>>293428
Just rocket jump over the cunt.
>>
>>294599
fucking brilliant
>>
>>294412
duels have a small league of <15 players made by God Sanchez
>>
File: 1592807305772.png (103 KB, 720x600)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>>294507
>Raisy is not a new player
Oh please, this "argument" is shit.
Just because Raisy, Clawz, Xron or some other baboons played back then in QL, it doesn't make them veterans and they never even played on the competitive tier-1 level before QC. They are all new players compared to the vast majority of the actual veterans like Killsen, Cooller, Cypher/Rapha(arguably newer generation), Tox, etc.
You can't judge their skill with such a small sample compared to x10-x100 bigger playerbase. It's absolutely incomparable. No matter the amount of time they played, there are plenty of cases everywhere, in any game where new players are just prodigy-level (for instance in Dota - Miracle, Topson, Jerax, Ana, Sumail arguably) and they quickly achieve a huge success in their game without even having years of experience or a huge LAN background. Some of them literally just play on a biggest LAN such as The International for the first time and win it. And win it again the next year now with the confidence and sense of superiority.
Quake is like that because it's a swamp with all the same fucking players. Both in a pro league and in semi-pro. And even then some of the new players can shake the scene and compete at the same level with the veterans.
>>
>>294914
clawz was playing in 125fps ql tournaments for years lol, he wasn't top level but from what i remember he used to beat cypher and cooller a decent amount
>>
>>294914
>Just because Raisy, Clawz, Xron or some other baboons played back then in QL, it doesn't make them veterans and they never even played on the competitive tier-1 level before QC

are you retarded or just completely ignorant about anything that happened before qc?
>>
>>294922
im pretty sure hes the autistic teenager who shitposts about diabotical constantly and never played an afps before qc
>>
>>294925
>>294922
>>294916
I was playing Q2 before you were even born.
It's just a pure comedy when some 4chink clowns are making retarded assumptions without even knowing anything, understanding anything, knowing anything Quake related.

I could easily shit on your in Q2 and Q3 or even QC/Diabotical.

Clawz was considered as a new player on a pro scene by everyone from the CIS-pro community because nobody took his QL background serious, he was only known for playing clan arena for fun and that's all.

But of course some cretins from 4chink would know more than Cooller, Base or Cypher when they were talking about Clawz and his QC/previous non-existing pro-scene appearance.

It's just boring to discuss things with clueless idiots.
>>
File: Euq819BVcAMW6xk.jpg (64 KB, 598x680)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>294914
>No matter the amount of time they played
that is probably the single biggest determining factor of someone's skill at anything that you're disregarding and instead you're randomly deciding time on the scene is a factor. All those guys you listed I guarantee put in 5k hours minimum of active practice, not just stomping pubs

Like I said, the overwhelming majority of players are trash. A sample size of 1,000ish is plenty. The numbers that should matter is that approx 90% of most games' player base are completely dogshit relative to the best player. This idea you have that by pumping playerbase numbers you suddenly have way more high level players just doesn't happen in reality anywhere. Even in the most popular sports, the top level players are low enough in number that you're going to see the same faces all the time. Adding another million bads to the game/sport just won't affect the top level scene.

Probably 100k new kids start playing football every day around the world for comparison, 90% will never even trial for a premier academy team. The only way what you're suggesting has any effect on the scene is if you believe the pros are actually slacking or not as good as they think they are.
>>
>>294962
>A sample size of 1,000ish is plenty.
I'm done with this stupid discussion. It's not even remotely enough and the number of active players, including pro-scene in Quake is just laughable, nobody takes it seriously. Not even the players like Cooller and Cypher who said it many times and compared it even to Apex.
>Even in the most popular sports, the top level players are low enough in number that you're going to see the same faces all the time. Adding another million bads to the game/sport just won't affect the top level scene.

You don't seem to understand what exactly makes that low number of the absolute best players among the hundreds of thousands. Nobody except maybe Rapha or a couple of the other active Quake players would be among them if that was the case for Quake. Most of the current "pro" players would retire already and act as casters / mentors instead of trying to compete with the highly motivated new blood that would think faster and aim better.
>>
>>294946
lmao im 35 you absolute loser. i can tell you totally never watched any 125fps tournies
>>
>>294971
>lmao im 35
My condolences.
Both for your age and IQ.
>>
>>294978
keep raging about a bunch of 40 year olds who have played a video game for half their life and stomp everyone lol, fucking retard
>>
>>294981
Calm down, no need to be mad, no need to rage.
You are only exposing your stupidity even more. We don't want Quake to be associated with raging low IQ retards like you.
>>
>>294983
i broke my keyboard i cant handle this level of pwnage bruh lmao
have sex
>>
>>294985
I'll visit your momma and get you some meds too.
>>
>>294987
i fucked your dad in the ass and when i was done he started crying saying he loves me more than his own son hahahha
>>
I have a twitch stream open and the female streamer known as thedandangler has 2 jellyfish in a lava lamp...
>>
>>294962
>You don't seem to understand what exactly makes that low number of the absolute best players among the hundreds of thousands.
yeh this is the critical difference, you think it's predominantly determined by population where as I think it's predominantly determined by time invested by the individual
>>
>>294969
>>295038
>>
File: 1592595955755.png (241 KB, 600x650)
241 KB
241 KB PNG
>>293184
>dat frag on rapha with plasma on qcon 2016
good times
>>
>>293184
>you can just tell watching cypher that he's raging out of his mind behind the screen
He's always raging, even now.
He's just a raging retard with weak mental state in general.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kWDc-1OoPI
This cures the boomer.
>>
>>295383
rapha is a rager too, i was actually surprised at that. i don't watch him on twitch much but whenever i do he's always bitching about something
>>
>>295922
Rapha is a lot tamer. Cypher is a classic raging cyka-retard.
>>
What's the best sourceport to play Quake 1 multiplayer with my friends? Usually I just use Quakespasm.
>>
>>287251
i want nyx to sit on my face
>>
>>262455
Quake live had a surprising amount of players, but still not enough. Absolutely love the game, can an anon buy some 24/7 servers ???
>>
>>296573
Just send microsoft a letter every week filled with gamer words until they make quake 6, ez.
>>
>no female players
>no poc players
>no trans players
>the only gay player got kicked out by a challenger
How do we fix quake pro league diversity issue reddit^w 4ch?
>>
>>296872
how do we fix the peak viewers barely hitting 3k?
>>
>>296883
>watching other people play games
>>
>>296908
how do we fix the peak player count barely hitting 900?
>>
>>296872
There are few female players like LadyD. I believe she was reaching Elite in QC duels and played pretty well. Not sure about the rest, TheQueen might be a tranny.
>>
>>296943
Are any of those pro league?
I understand your urge to correct some anon on the internet, but have you tried finishing reading the post you are replying to?
>>
>>296883
>>296942
Diversity and inclusion!!!11
>>
>>296942
>caring about total player count when duels only require two people.
>>
honestly what is microsoft going to do with qc? does anyone there even know it exists?
>>
>>295922
He's playing QC so he won't run out of things to bitch about.
>>
>>296573
>can an anon
The great thing about older games is that you can do it yourself.
>>
>>297244
I'm not sure why this is even a question. Microsoft buying Bethesda doesn't necessary mean anything for their game IPs.
>>
File: GZVcRuP.jpg (64 KB, 388x372)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
twitch.tv/quake
Cypher vs Rapha finals going down
>>
>>297972

going to be kino honestly watching both of them rage with both of their shit ping
>>
>>297972
Cypher is on adderal or something. That focus out of nowhere
>>
>>297988
lol all of them are on that shit, there are no drug tests for this shit
>>
File: 1608735041414.jpg (64 KB, 1280x800)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
I like Rapha vs Cypher finals, advantage for Rapha imo.
However I despise online matches and most of the pros don't take it serious too.
LANs are completely different. Always were, always will be.
Sad that because of the covid everything is gone.
>>
>>298025
rapha will win, cypher takes too many dumb risks because his entire plan relies on him hitting everything. that works against a lot of people but not rapha
>>
>>298031
hes going to win because the server placements are rigged lmao
>>
>>298040
yea i just noticed they played on NA servers back to back... the fuck? and that 1 map bye win? that's sketchy
>>
>>298042
NA on the 3rd map too lol
>>
>>298046
maybe its a mistake and they aren't updated the location? that doesn't make sense, its supposed to go back and forth each map
>>
>>298046
Hope cypher did a table sized rail before this lol
>>
yea thats it gg rapha wins. cypher cant come back from this, no rail
>>
>>298047
knowing how shit some of the production is on qpl, it has to be a mistake
>>
Cyper rekt
>>
>>298056
rapha is basically unbeatable normally but in grand finals it's just impossible to beat him
>>
>>298040
>>298042
>>298046
The players generally negotiate and come to an agreement on server picks. Picking a map doesn't necessarily mean it will be on your preferred server. If the stream overlay was correct and the first 3 maps were on a NA server, then it's what Cypher agreed to. He may not have expected Rapha to take all three and planned on dominating on the later EU servers.

Also 1 map win for Rapha is his reward for winning the upper bracket. In a conventional tournament, Rapha would have been champ right there. But in the double-elimination, a loser has the chance to comeback. To compensate, the upper bracket winner is given a free map. Perfectly fair IMO. Still, LANs are king.
>>
File: 1604756617.jpg (1.45 MB, 2560x1440)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>296420
>nyx
>>
>>298061
thought vengeurr had him, i get the sense that if rapha had to go up against an army of vengeurrs he'd crack eventually
>>
>>298263
Vengeur was the best shot against Rapha. Cypher should have died with Dahang
>>
>>298355
but he beat him :^)
WP cypher!
honestly cypher playing GF as a 3d match-up with top players in a row and on after-midnight hours Moscow time is a HUGE handicap. Rapha had 4 hours to recover from a game with Marco and that is during daytime hours.

If the grand final was on another day I'd still bet on rapha, but probably cypher could show more of his potential.
>>
>>298468
PS I agree that Marco probably was in his best form and probably was the best player to challenge rapha
>>
what are your favorite matches from QPL finals?
I missed day 2 almost entirely

my favorites are
day 1:
Base vs Maxter
Maxter vs Killsen
day 3:
Cypher vs Nosfa
Cypher vs vengeurR
vengeurR vs Rapha
>>
This was the best QPL finals so far. Nosfa and Maxter stepped up their game, and EU players didn't put in enough practice with players in that region, so server performance issues tilted them down to the losers bracket. Another factor was K1llsen getting eliminated early due to eye problems. IMO, previous QPL finals were a bit predictable, but this stage had multiple upsets. I would have liked to see Cypher and Rapha go all 7 maps, but the GOAT is the GOAT and that's that.
>>
>>298476
rapha vs vengeur hands down. He was the only one that gave rapha a good fight, and it felt like the finals more than the grand finals did. That comeback on map 2, holy shit. That game-tying frag was sick. Vengeur's mechanical skills are top tier like raisy, but his decision making still isn't on par with rapha's.

Cypher's performance in the grand finals was disappointing. Raisy also didn't perform well on day 3 strangely enough. Maxter improved tremendously. I used to think of him as cannon fodder to pad rapha's NA ranking.

Seriously, can someone nerf rapha or something? Grand finals are so stale now.
>>
>>298476
ven vs rapha was probably the best, rapha was getting fucking pissed in that series. there were a couple good nosfa games where he won at the last second. that guy is a massive rail whore though, worse than killsen. i hate watching rail whores play
>>
>>298355
when cypher gets on the g-fuel he really is a force to be reckoned with in fairness, dunno what it is but when he turns it on he's red hot
>>
File: unnamed (3).jpg (37 KB, 419x512)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>298540
>nerf rapha
they need better maps i think, the maps where megas are an absolute chore to get to are where control players suffer the worst. how much Quake revolves around control is so subjective, i would probably leave the duel meta where it is and just try to introduce new competitive modes now

>people playing nothing but duel their entire lives
"Quake is all about control, just have megas and by default you have a better than 50% chance to win a fight, ez. tdm is too random and chaotic imo". There's a ton of meta then around traps and obtaining items, denying items, etc

>people playing nothing but tdm their entire lives
"Quake is basically CS but with rockets, you contest quad then win when you get the quad lol". Even tdm fans would admit it's pretty random but should be fun unless it's a stomp. if you just grab quad and have a bit of luck you should get at least one moment of pure fun. For modern to mid age gamers it's TF2 control points but you contest power ups instead. No one plays it competitively really except for 2v2 at which point I feel you might as well play duel.

>people playing nothing but CTF their entire lives
"Quake is an outdoor sport that I'm playing online now with rocket launchers" in fairness this mode is one where kills just don't matter and has all the meta of 1v1 plus additional strategy. there's actually probably way more strategy in CTF than duel, especially in champions. but it just doesn't make for good viewing most of the time. it's also usually a complete stomp for a new team vs old hands that know all the shortcuts, rocket jumps, map exploits etc

what blows my mind is how they overfocused on duel, like have the casters play a fun 4v4 ctf with some players for entertainment from time to time just to mix things up. you could pull in YT celebs like Zy or Joe Rogan to just have some fun and promote the game but apparently people just hate money
>>
>>298540
>Seriously, can someone nerf rapha or something? Grand finals are so stale now.

It's the others who cannot even play well.
>>298716
>"Quake is an outdoor sport that I'm playing online now with rocket launchers" in fairness this mode is one where kills just don't matter and has all the meta of 1v1 plus additional strategy. there's actually probably way more strategy in CTF than duel, especially in champions. but it just doesn't make for good viewing most of the time. it's also usually a complete stomp for a new team vs old hands that know all the shortcuts, rocket jumps, map exploits etc

CTF in QC would be better if it wasn't so fucked up because of the speed differences.
Sorlags / Slashes / Anarkies stealing a flag and immediately placing it with a single rocket boost within a few seconds is just stupid.
>>
>>299007
ive played decent ctf games but only when the aimers/eisen/galena play defense and the sorlag/slash players go offense

ive heard of people using advanced strats like a sorlag towing an athena but never seen it in practice
>>
raffer cannot be stopped

>>298222
did anyone ever find the source for those nyxes
nyxii?
>>
Bros how the FUCK do I bunnyhop?
>>
>>299191
>bunnyhop
different people mean different things by 'bunnyhopping'
general strat for movement includes
a) find a tutorial video on a particular champ (or game if QC is not what you were talking about)
b) practice daily for 30-60 minutes until you can do it effortlessly, most movements require a week or two of this practice, some may require more

general jumping guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS4KIyCTBAw
CPM/QW champs jumping guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qejjDOk--k&t=630s
>>
>>293428
if you really suck then try to figure out why, do you need to improve aiming? improve movement? do you panic like some kind of spastic child? one of those 3 will be the key to at least going 1:1 k/d
>>
>>299324
d) all of the above
I usually stay above 1 k/d on public matches, but man does it suck losing duels
I'm trying to work on all mechanical aspects, e.g. daily LG and RG shooting practice w/ bots, trying different trick jumps on different levels, timings etc. But I just don't feel much improvement anymore, maybe there are faster ways to train? Kovaaks aim trainer has been recommended , is it essential?

The panic is the hardest thing to overcome I pretty much have no idea how to train this aspect besides just playing duels
>>
when i go to mulitplayer on quake 3 it says the servers are empty
what do
>>
>>299482
correction, it says there are no servers
>>
>>299482
quakeservers.net/quake3/servers/
they mostly are empty though
>>
>>296872
>>296943
I'm pretty sure there was a tranny in challengers and a female in the last challengers finals
>>
>>299007
>It's the others who cannot even play well.
the only person who ever really gave rapha a good fight was evil, because evil knew how to play mind games at raphas level. rapha plays in a predictable way, it forces the other guy to play in a predictable way, but evil knew how to take raphas predictability and make rapha question what exactly evil was doing. no one else really does this, everyone just plays raphas game and they basically have to get lucky spawns to get an advantage over him
>>
>>299007
You do realize all of this was fixed and CTF was balanced out like 2 patches ago?
>>
>>299191
rotation = speed, so you should be turning the mouse when you're moving and jumping to increase speed.
angles = speed, so holding W+S/D makes you faster than just going in a straight line.

you just gotta kinda put these two concepts together when you jump and learn to control it, but once you get the hang of it the physics become really intuitive. in the meantime you'll be bumping into walls and getting stuck in doorways.
take a look at the third person visuals in this shit and it becomes a bit clearer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBodLDT_yrg
>>
>>299910
>You do realize all of this was fixed and CTF was balanced out like 2 patches ago?
You clearly don't play CTF if you think that any of that was "balanced".
>>
File: 1379027676517.png (63 KB, 384x445)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>293739
>231 post
>ctrl+f "quack", one result
nice.
>>
File: 1569244618149.jpg (131 KB, 896x896)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>299407
forget bots just play tdm, it will put you in pressure situations a lot more often. the rest is just practice. repetition is the only way to beat what you're describing. one thing that might help is to just play the game, don't react to what the other player is doing. make your play and if it works it worked and if it doesn't it doesn't try something else. there are games i come out with 50%-70% rail which is what most should aim for imo. if you are hitting like 20% rail that's something to work on. lg should be the same, practice tracking. are you battling and fighting with your mouse to get it to go where you want? why is that? are you panicking because the player is pushing? punish with lg and shotgun. duel should basically come down to a control game ultimately once you have confidence you can 1v1 someone and put up a fight
>>
>>277365
>tfw no UT4
>>
>>299407
>>300274
just play FFA until you get bored of first placing, it's pretty achievable
>>
is quake mp dead or not?
i don't like quake 2 and 3's mp
>>
>>300692
I can only get games on discord.
If you want pub matches check UT4, it had players the last time I tried it out.
>>
played quake for the first time, how was it possible that there were worse players than me, and they werent bots
>>
>>300881
they were bots
>>
>>300882
they really werent
>>
>>300881
>that there were worse players than me, and they werent bots
what game?

at any given time in current year there are less than like 50 actual players playing quake 1-4 worldwide and those have to arrange games beforehand. The chances of you randomly connecting to a server for any quake game < quake live and meeting a live player are very-very-very close to zero
>>
>>300883
they really were
>>
christ if you want to see the level of depth that goes into a duel go watch raphas most recent twitch, he's reviewing his qpl matches. the amount of stuff he's keeping track of and thinking about is insane
>>
>>301077
No, I will continue on forgetting where the lg ammo is and planning on winning every fight by just landing 2 sick rails and an air rocket like always.
>>
>>301314
>imagine not 3 for 3
>>
>>291727
>http://gamecon/
wtf is this on some local server or what
>>
>>302548
LAN party I'm pretty sure
>>
>be me a bronze scrub
>play other bronze scrub with somewhat higher ELO
>he does stupid moves
>my lead on him is like 5 frags in 5 minutes
>"this is stupid ur 2 ping let's you fire 2 rockets for each mine"
do people not get how ping works?
are those the same people that always say QC netcode is shit?
>>
>>304876
yeah there's a lot of retarded f2p foreigners who can't cope with people actually connecting to servers with low ping
i've heard retarded ass crying like that before too
>>
>>304876
how the fuck do you fight the panic in duels?
inb4 just play more games
I'm trying, but I keep loosing slightly more rating to compared to getting rating by winning the same player and this spiral of rating keeps me frustrated :(
>>
>>304957
rating focus isn't good in any game, especially not one with as much depth and legacy skill as quack.
you just have to disassociate form the number and work on fundamentals long term. so you're shit ELO, so what? at the end of the day you've got to be ready to outplay your opponent to the best of your ability. even if you have a shit winrate that just means room to grow and it makes the wins all the more meaningful.
fundamentally, are you trying to be good at quake, or just increase the number? when you get good, the number will both go up and stop mattering. at the highest levels, they're not worried about ELO.
if you can break past the ladder anxiety (which is very real) then you'll have an upper hand over opponents who are similarly feeling the pressure from metagame elements.
>>
>>304963
I agree with every word on intellectual level, this is how I started, but it's just so hard to negate emotions with reason

Also what makes it even worse is that I practiced almost daily for the last 4 months and I checked with dev.quake-champions.com stats thinking I would see some increase in my LG and RG, but no, no you can extrapolate it to a straight level line. This is fucking frustrating

I think I might give up on quake, maybe I'm just bad at videogames
PS is there at least a way to turn off the rating increment screen after the duels?
>>
>>304990
yeah, easier said than done. it's a very hard game, though. you gotta find your fun because competitive gaming is not a good source of like, validation. being shit at quake is okay. maybe 1% of players genuinely aren't.
duel is rough, but maybe you can feel good winning some DMs and stuff. I'm still trash at dota, but it's a similar game with an asymptotic skill ceiling so getting better and/or worse will always be a part of it.
I don't know if you can disable ranking UI stuff, maybe search r*ddit. also, ELO is primarily about matching people up. doesn't matter if you're in the kiddy pool if you're still getting the adrenaline and satisfaction of competing with other players. that level of challenge will scale as you improve, anyways, and no matter what there will be volatility in your ranking.
personally a big mental hurdle was the baggage of gaming being 'wasted time' which can really make 'losing progress' painful because hey, you put in this time and nothing to show for it, right? accepting that it's a game I like to play and that there are people there to play with is more important to me than other shit, especially when you consider that even though we're trash, players like us who have even given this kind of shit any meaningful amount of thought are like a sub-percentage minority.
>>
>>304957
What helped me was just tanking my elo until I didn't care about numbers anymore - drinking and dueling, doing weird pushes that shouldn't work, taking routes you wouldn't normally, hyper focusing on one thing, etc. Worrying about numbers going up is hell and you shouldn't care about being bad until you forget about them, the satisfaction comes from working on your game and how to outplay the other guy.
Also if you're getting smacked around in QC or QL and want some perspective try playing on a Q3 server, you'll probably ruin some boomers day.
>>
>>304957
>how the fuck do you fight the panic in duels?
There's no certain answer for making your mental fortitude stronger. But definitely practicing and facing tough opponents that shit on you. Don't waste your time playing with weaker opponents or even equal ones that you can often win. That's your comfort zone and you won't improve until you leave it.
>>
File: 1612727206705.gif (712 KB, 500x500)
712 KB
712 KB GIF
Anyone want to duel QW? 4on4 tonight as well 10pm EST.
>>
When we played vs them we could never win, and we aren't THAT bad, like diamond - low elite in QC ranking terms maybe. https://www.twitch.tv/antowka_qc
And they'd never win 2x2 pro league teams (when they were a thing). The gap between semi-pro and actual pro in Quake is insane.
>>
File: asd.jpg (301 KB, 1841x588)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>>304957

I started looking at some of my matches via Shadowplay and finding mistakes to fix. Look at the thing that you're messing up most and try to work on that next game. Try to find at least 10 mistakes a game. I often see things I didn't see during the game itself.

I usually never bother looking at replays and I mostly play fighting games. I'll probably do something similar for them as well.
>>
>>262474
Fpbp
>>
>>277475
a 1550 elo dueler telling people other modes are worthless lmao. ask 2gd about no name russians playing ffa in quake 3 and quake live. says they are completely fucking insane and they beat him consistently when he played and he had no clue who they were.
>>
>>292560
Rapha would still be top NA even if we had all the talent gamers from valorant, cs, and siege play quake. People like Dahang would fall off top 10 easily considering we all beat the shit out of him in warsow back in the day.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.