[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: index.jpg (26 KB, 480x270)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
Is there any, any, any, any reason to play this game aside from making other players' experience worse?

Is there literally any benefit in the fucking slightest to putting time into this that isn't derived from making sure that there's not for other players? In wasting their time chasing them around and scuttling them and stealing the only mechanics for progression (as much as we can call it that) that exist and setting them back.

The combat is Fischer Price jank and as deep as a puddle of puppy piss on the patio. The system for respawning is retarded, it's basically a TDM death penalty but much more easily exploited as part of the dominant strategy of camping the topdeck of a ship you slid up to at port defenseless and opened fire on.

The open sea ship to ship is the best part so at least there's that but you're so rarely going to engage in that as opposed to getting ambushed at the dock; and when you do it's largely going to be brainless cheating NPCs operating on none of the principles of real player ship to ship.

This game is buried so deep in the "Only fun with friends" island that not even X marks its spot anymore.
>>
File: Reading.jpg (79 KB, 389x493)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>
Reasons to play Sea of Thieves

>If you like the calm of sailing an old timey pirate ship
>if you want to learn how to have a ship to ship combat on the seas
>If you want to slaughter little kids at video games
>if you want to have a neat little adventure either a tall tale or some themed voyage where you search for the x marks the spot treasure
>if you want to cause grief to other players including your own team

What Sea of Thieves is not

>one on one combat sucks, by the time your gun goes off the target has already moved past you or through you to get behind you and kill you because the game is hyper fast also bunny hopper cunts are annoying, unless they really suck and you do it to them first, sniper rifles are awesome at ANY range, blunderbuss only at close range IF you don't have any lag, pistols are useless, sword fighting is terrible mostly because you can't block and turn as fast as an attacker can strafe around you and spam slash. Finally, pc players will own console players, the combat is easy mode for them, they can do EVERYTHING slightly faster especially loading screens.

>Yes you will lose your hard earned treasure but only if you suck or if a member of your crew sucks. Usually these people thing they are good but they actually are complete losers and always will be because they can't take criticism or even recognise their shortcomings. Get gud is actually true on the sea.

>Be prepared to play for a long time if you want to get anything meaningful done.

What's important is to not get so butthurt if you lose your loot, it's not that big a deal, it's just a game and there's plenty more loot to be had. Keep your eyes on the horizon and if it looks like someone might be gunning for you, go after them, chase them down and sink them or get sunk and learn what you did wrong.
>>
play blackwake
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UjWwMtrETk
>>
There needs to be a wasto throw treasure. I just like to board the ships of people with the PvP flag, grab a expensive chest and jump off.
If I could throw stuff off I could do so much more
>>
>>256608
I wish I could throw the powder kegs...
>>
>>254431
This
>>
>>254428
>not get butt hurt when you lose your loot
This is big, whenever I get my shit pushed in I take it as a learning experience.
My favorite part is watching another ship at a distance for a while to try and judge how difficult they’re going to be to take, like how competent their sail handling is, how they dock at islands, etc
The sheer paranoia you get from seeing another sail on the horizon and wondering what those real people over there are planning or thinking about you is great
>>257636
Imagine little hand grenades like master and commander
>>
>>253483
Git

Gud
>>
>>254431
hadnt heard of it before, ill give it a try
>>
>>254431
Shit game
>>
>>258555
It's basically Mount and Blade on the water. The only problem is that it can get janky as fuck but it definitely has its golden moments.
>>
>>253483
this game is the biggest example of risk-risk ever, there is no catch up mechanic to the fact you can get one tap blundied in the face, then the past however hours of your work is undone by some n!gger who just logged on and decided his best play of the day is to bother you and nothing else. great sportmanship
>>
>>259567
The sudden shock of catching a cannonball to the face in the opening volleys of a naval battle is honestly pretty exhilarating. Vehicle combat with a very real chance of instant maiming is wild
>>
>>259567
spawn camping is so easy in this shitty game. They have a black screen loading them up while they just appear frozen in place and all you have to do is wait for them to twitch and shoot them, over and over, and over till they get sick of it and quit. If you're on PC you can singlehandedly kill an entire galleon crew of xboxrs and never suffer any damage. Even if they do manage to shoot you you'll probably manage to avoid most of the damage. The pvp cqc is pathetic.
>>
>>254431
Based.

So fucking funny in the early days. I got home drunk and captained the 'Steven Segal's to victory for like 2 hours. Haven't played in 3 years but that shit was good. Kinda like the old days of gmod but with ships
>>
File: kek.jpg (22 KB, 413x395)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>260225
>xboxers
>not on xbox-only server

gj killing nooblets fag
>>
>>253483
People are so bad in this game its staggering.
My regular crew hasn't sunk once in adventure in months, literally months, and we probably have a few hundred ship kills in that time.
>>
File: 3131.png (271 KB, 463x324)
271 KB
271 KB PNG
>>253483
I mean a lot of people I've met on there are friendly (apart from Russians) so you should be fine. The issue is there is lack of motivation for progression as all you really get is cosmetic items
>>
>>253483
Everything you said is true, but I'll never get sick of ear raping other players with caramelladansen while taking 3 hours of loot
>>
>tell my GF how I'm smearing some losers in an online argument with FACTS and LOGIC
>'about what, anon?'
>The pirate game, there's a schism in the community entirely based on PvE and PvP retards and they argue about which is the right way to play
>'they're arguing about how to play a game?'
>yeah
>'that's fucking retarded, just shut up and play lol'

Proof girls don't like gamers and keyboard warriors.
>>
File: xbox-gamepass.jpg (183 KB, 1000x626)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>253483
WTF is wrong with this game and game pass for PC? I got the trial to try this game and I have two different PCs and I can't get it to work on either one. One PC won't download it and the other won't launch it. Other games work fine and I've done wsreset and all that bullshit.
>>
File: hard days work.jpg (177 KB, 1920x1079)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>253483
Look at my booty, it be glorious
>>
>>263689
Are you trying to install it on a drive other than the C:/ drive?
>>
>>266455
Looks like L5 gold hoarder emissary voyage am I right?
>>
>>267334
No. I ended up getting it to work on my 2nd PC but it still won't download on the 1st one.
>>
>be solo sloop, hauling goodies into port
>Get jumped by a 3 man brig
>they demolish my ship before i can get back to it
>they chase me 1v3 onto land, kill em all
>they respawn and kill me back
>I left a vault key in some bushes on the isle
>my ship respawns only an island hop away
>want to go back and get it, or attack them at the vault location if they found the key
>get melded to a different server
What the fucking shit. I was prepared to chase them to the ends of the earth on a self made bloodlust revenge quest nice fucking baby retard game "ohhhh sorry you got killed here you can start this new adventure on this shit isle with a message ina bottle hoohoo"
>>
I've played like 4 hours, bums me out everyone on other ships seem to be in discord instead of the game chat. Hearing other players reaction is like 80% of the fun.
>>
Naval combat would be much more fun without anchorballs
>>
I've only seen two types of players in this game: casuals messing around with their friends trying to have fun and sweaty tryhards endlessly hunting down sloops.
>>
>>270032
It's the easiest of the curseballs since it doesn't stop you from just immediately raising up the anchor. Hell, time it right and you can have the enemy raise your anchor for you with that ball
>>
>>270114
I guess. Still I think that takes a bit of prediction on when your enemy loads their anchorball. Kinda tough to multitask that much sometimes in a ship battle.
They can just drop you while your crew are on the cannons and pepper the capstan with cannonballs to stop you from trying to raise it again.
Hell im not mad when they launch an intruder aboard and he drops my anchor. The anchorball just feels kinda cheap in the current meta cuz getting anchored is basically almost a death sentence.
>>
>>270102
>sweaty tryhards endlessly hunting down sloops
What's the deal with those retards. I was just trying to do some cozy MA grind to end my week but got one of these faggot crews chasing me around for 40 minutes in their brigantine. They called me all sorts of names whenever we got close to each other, yet couldn't even hit me properly or board me without getting shotgunned in the face. Finally caught me and setup some gay spawn camp instead of just sinking me and steal my loot. Just quit the game instead of humouring those faggots.

Have fun selling my like 3 crates of tea you faggots.
>>
File: 1554847955769.jpg (58 KB, 500x501)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Hear me out:
>New ship module: Bait Grinder
>You throw uncooked meat into a grinder turning it into chum
>you can then release it into the water behind your ship turning an area of it red
>if a ship passes through this area it will then be "marked" and hunted down by a sea monster
I figured the sea monster and pool size could be dependent on the amount of meat used, so more meat gives a larger monster and pool of chum
I thought this could make chases more interesting, and you could even allow players to run into their own pool if they so desired
>>
>>271489
Um sure neat, I just want a cannon on the front and back of the galleon. That would make up for it's massive shortcomings.
>>
This game is so grindy it hurts. I once got a mission to ship 50 crates with two of us... It took 10 minutes to load and another 10 to unload. Luckily for me I basically just use this game as a voice chat with my pals but with something to do/talk about since the pandemic started. It beats a Zoom call.
I have a million gold with absolutely no drive to buy anything with it. I quite like the vault levels and merchant missions looking for sunken ships.
>>
>>254428
/thread
>t. console player
>>
Get good
>>
What are your expectations of Season 2
>>
>>281327
More deeds that make you do the most boring parts of the game. Actual info on what the fuck Duke has been bumbling about.
>>
>>281327
Some cool news things in the Pirate Emporium.
>>
>>271489
You're asking too much for a group of devs that are obviously too small to make anything "big". Best thing you can expect is from a sea of theives 2
>>
>>281996
I say they're small becuase the SOT team has been shrinking each year since rare is moving on to bigger projects
>>
File: chin22.jpg (8 KB, 268x318)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>281327
to crap all over everybody
>>
>>271489
Would be better if they just added customizable slots to the ships. Little selection of gadgets like the one your propose to make ships more unique in playstyle. Sloop could have 1 slot, Brig 2 and Galleon 3.
>>
interesting
>>
File: 1577525425406.jpg (180 KB, 990x990)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>load some chests in a rowboat
>row to outpost while friend sails to next objective
>get to outpost
>chests have disappeared
>>
>>283792
Doubt
>>
>>283792
Lost 20 villainous bounty skulls this way, fucking glitches in this game.
>>
>>261415
if you ever caught me id just jam and let you have it
songs dope
>>
File: 1614484627807.jpg (176 KB, 1080x1080)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>going to sell in a solo sloop
>galleon pulls up on me right before I reach the outpost
>they miss every cannonball shot
>I slam into the dock and sell
>sell most of my stuff and lower emissary flag
>start clapping on the pier
>they try to shoot me
>miss 3 times
>they finally get me
>respawn
>manage to just kill them constantly with just a cutlass because they can't aim for shit
Whole situation was just kinda annoying
>>
>going solo
>roll up on two dudes in a brigantine
>second thought instead of shooting em with my canons I shoot my cat at them instead
>theyre just fishin and invite me to join
>help me out with trial quests
>ask them to join an alliance, they say theyre in one so I join theirs
>need my ship to sink for one so I say goodbye
>notice the other ship is getting chased down by a reaper
>sail from the top of the map all the way to the bottom
>sacrifice my ship and the boys get away and turn in

comfy day on the seas
>>
https://youtu.be/vFKacfeTMwc
>>
>>253483
This game drives me insane. It’s not because of losing “loot” or players being fags but everything else about it. It’s just the pinnacle of missed opportunity. There is zero sense of progression for me and all the loot that you may get is just ghostbusters themed crap. Ashes of the Damned ooooo spooky, skulls ooooo, I just want to board ships and steal gems, gold, spices, sugar not this stupid fisher price crap. The whole kiddy friendly cartoonish atmosphere ruins it for me, the ship combat can be fun but I wish it was in a traditional Caribbean setting. I wish it was like Sid Meiers Pirates and had some sense of building up and progressions. Overall it’s just disappointing.
>>
>>288527
A rare fort with top teir loot. Oh great....
>>
>>288527
I defeated fort of fortune today ama
>>
>>289135
wanna play?
>>
>>289135
How many people rolled up when you were doing it?
>>
add me frens trying to get guys for any kind of pirating

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198822459675
or gamertag is
King Grey#5506
>>
>>289151
We were in a sloop
One reaper brig rolled up which we had an extended battle with and eventually sunk, not to be seen again. A solo sloop showed up, who we allied with
>>
>>289137
Yes, but my crew is already formed
>>
>>289135
Tried one today on a galleon, reaper brigan rolled up and slaughtered us, we sailed back and the whole server was fighting for the fort, brigand took us all down. They 2 galleons and 2 sloops sunk like no problem. Fuckin brigandines are O fuckin P. Oh well I'll get the next one
>>
>>289597
Briggas hit hard but fall fast. As a sloop I would employ hit and run tactics and wait until they are understaffed or in a bad position to hit fast and hard
>>
>>289116
It is great, turned into a giant fight, I allianced with a brig and we sunk 2 other ships and split the loot.
>>
>solo sloop
>doing one of the tall tales and anchored at some tiny island
>sloop with the ori flag pulls up, shoots one cannonball directly over my head and one into my hull
>queue *rolling on deck laughing* as he heads off in the direction that I came from
>finish 20-ish minutes later and go to hand in the Briggsy skull at ancient spire
>see the ori flag
>anchor on the opposite side and take the skull in
>see this fatso heading to the dockside beach with a map
>hear digging
>see him pull out an ashen
>one blunder
That whole island has had some cheeky shit go down, now that I can remember.
>>282123
I tuned in for half an hour and got to see the barrel emote. That looks so busted that I can't not pick this game back up again and grind it out.
>>
>>289921
13 in the season ain't even hard, I got that first day
>>
>>289949
I got it in just 2 quick solo sessions without even trying, I'm honestly impressed with how good this game's season passes are without even buying the full pass.
>>
>>288658
>muh progression
faggot
>fuck the cartoony style
double faggot
>>
I thought we were getting more content. What happened to makeing the map alittle bigger and haveing a frozen area?
>>
>>290183
They never claimed to be doing such. The Xbox One is holding them back from doing anything like that. Plus, people don't use the Devils Roar enough to warrant a new zone.
>>
>>289949
>>290012
Yeah, the only reason that I didn't hit the max last season was because I was mainlining Dark Souls. I'd play more often but getting competent lads is difficult.
>>
File: 1426198960228.jpg (16 KB, 142x137)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Did they fuck up the draw distance in the latest patch? A lot of the seaports and other buildings are using they're low quality models until I get very close
>>
>>290354
I noticed that about skeleton forts, not sure though. Might just be the increased server load from a new season weekend.
>>
Are commodities worth any thought? Also are purchase limits for the character or the crew? Moving 6-12 commodities at a time would be damn nice.
>>
>>290257
That's cause they didn't stick the fort in the middle and put it in the world events rotation.
>>
>>290447
If you're bored and just want to do commodities, do a lost shipment voyage to get up to Merchant Emissary level 5, then just circle around the map hitting every outpost buying everything and selling the Sought-After item. You'll rake in roughly 500k in a few hours. Better or worse depending on things like wind, other players in port, commodity respawn time, etc
>>
>>253483
Me and my friends used to dress like the joker and use ESPs to grief and verbally harass people. we didnt even sell the loot since it wasnt about the money
>>
>>291876
You'd have a blast now, tucking and hiding and the barrel emote are a griefers dream in this game.
>>
Just started playing a day before steam sale ended.
Game is like a fun adventure and i like the no-interface take on gameplay.
How do i go about finding other player ships?
So far i played 4 solo session and didnt see anyone.
Game isnt that dead, right?
>>
>>292143
>How do I go about finding other player ships?
Unless other players are itching for a fight, way the fuck off on the horizon for the most part.
>4 solo sessions and didn't see anyone
That's surprising, honestly. I caught a glimpse of three or four the last two times I solo'd.
>>
>>292143
Sometimes there will be a player ship flying a reapers emissary, they'll show up on the map as a black cloud thingy, but they'll also try to kill you
They don't make the servers to crowded, but if you just sail around near the ouposts you'll eventually find someone. Also if you check your pocket watch there should be a number right below the center, that's the number of days the server is on, if it says 1 odds are you just started a new server and are alone right now
>>
>>292143
yesterday I went solo and caught a lvl 5 reaper and a lvl 1 just chilling on the map
after a server hop there was only 1 and then during my tall tale another showed up while I was doing stuff but offered an alliance cause I didnt have anything

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.