[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: index.jpg (18 KB, 225x225)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
What went wrong?
>>
>>209238
people forgot how much of a grind and how bad classic wow really was. That and attention spans got lower.
>>
>>209250
>how much of a grind
Vanilla wasnt even horribly grindey.

Top Kek casual
>>
>>209238
It's not 2005 anymore and everything is datamined and a meta is formed before the content is even out. In this case everyone knew the optimal strategy to clear everything as quickly as possible (mage spam). Basically people forgot to have fun.

But Classic WoW was still a success and the people who wanted to have fun achieved that so it's whatever.
>>
>>209251
It actually was that grindy.
>>
There are probably a lot of legitimate complaints but my main one is world buff autism. Even back in the day the bleeding edge world first pushing guilds did not bother collecting a bunch of world buffs and logging their character out in front of the raid entrance for a week. Given that this content is easier than ever before and precisely no one gives a fuck about speedrunning raids it's a uniquely unfun addition to the meta with no real benefit.
>>
File: 1357170098138.gif (655 KB, 300x168)
655 KB
655 KB GIF
>>209238
Is running its course a wrong thing? I played it, had a ton of fun, and it kept me subbed all the way to SL which I'm now playing, yet I still plan to finish leveling that warlock alt at some point. And if TBC is confirmed I'll spend at least a month poopsocking that.
Definitely flawed though, like >>209395 says. Really wish they went with #somechanges. Maybe they'll do that in the future. But despite everything it was worth it multiple times over for me, one of them being the chance to see the AQ gate opening event properly. Even if it's a pretty barebones scripted sequence that goes on for hours the resulting wpvp was fantastic - that's the kind of shit that should be in warmode if they can ever unfuck phasing and proc-related lag.
>>
>>209238
It's not 2005 anymore. WoW was groundbreaking at the time but it isn't anymore. I enjoyed it a lot for the first month though then people started minmaxing and tryharding and the late 2010s culture (twitch, discord etc.) leaked into it and it became annoying to play.
>>
>>209568
To enjoy Classic you basically had to disconnect yourself from the rest of the internet like people in 2005 were and discover the game on your own. But everyone just rolled on the highest pop server and watched hundreds of videos explaining every crack of the game and the best flowchart to follow to be the strongest the fastest prior to the launch.
>>
>>209238
bots and you cant go to dungeons unless you are a mage
>>
>>209238

bots, inflation, clever game mechanics
>>
File: 1610321315954.jpg (18 KB, 344x342)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>209571
based schizo
people used allakhazham and thottbot back then
>>
>>209611
If you think that stuff was as prominent as it is now you are completely wrong. Especially within the casual fanbase.
>>
>>209621
>no true scotsman
>moving goalposts
>>
>>209659
>didn't play back then
>thinks he knows what he's talking about
Just stop replying to me please.
>>
>>209621
There was some strategies that straight up nobody was doing back then. Level boosting as it exists today, where one mage does insane shit like farm all of maraudon in one pull is totally bonkers and would definitely get the hotfix if #nochanges weren't such a thing.
I can't talk shit though, I did the ZF GY strategy to level my mage from 42-54 and had a great time lol
>>
File: IMG_20210114_155904.jpg (1.56 MB, 4160x3120)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>209660
you were still swimming in your dad's ballsack when I was playing this game
>>
>>209238
u can play most of the multiplayer games and balance it with your personal life, goals, relationships etc. but in wow.. oh man this game absorbs every single bit of u into this virtual world and all the different things u can do...maybe most people that have been playin it since 2010s just grew up and want to have a productive life
>>
Turns out people didn't actually miss classic, they missed 2004-ish internet culture
Even now everything is so meta'd out and there's so many tryhards for a game that's really not that hard that it sucks the fun out of it
>>
>>209380
Name 1 mandatory grind in Vanilla WoW
>>
>>209672
based shitty fingernails anon
>>
>>209672
Wow dude, you bought some disks? Stop the presses man stop the presses.
>>
>>209238
Modern mmo-player culture combined with everyone knowing it had a finite lifespan. Basically as soon as AQ came out people were already acting like vanilla was over and were preparing for TBC.
>>
Most of the complaints laying blame at the core game design fall apart when you ask "then why did vanilla survive for years upon years on the private scene while increasing population?"
It's not a problem of the game being solved, it was solved 5 years ago too.
It's not because it was too grindy, there were times when private servers were grindier and no one cared.
World buffs weren't the problem either, sure I agree it sucks, but that didn't keep the ball from rolling.
Tryhard minmax culture was at the highest point at the time on private servers too and yet new blood kept streaming in.
The argument about nostalgia for by-gone-era culture also doesn't make sense when it kept gaining popularity right up until Blizzard came along and fucked the game.

The most important advantage that the private server community enjoyed, but Blizzard failed to recognize: the numbers were completely off, making the game a lot harder than it used to be, which works perfectly when you consider how much better people are now in general at vidya.
Also, the difference in difficulty meant that boosting as it is now practiced large scale on live servers was impossible. The broader implication of this refusal to abandon "no changes" is that the world is practically dead because every zoomer just runs to the local mage for their roundabout way of buying an xp potion, instead of being forced to form groups and interact with other people organically.
Another big difference was that Blizzard doesn't give a shit about botting, and they refuse to implement even basic anti-cheat measures, meaning a bunch of basement dwellers running toaster servers were doing a better job preventing botting and fucking the economy than Blizz does today. To be fair, private servers had corrupt GMs that sold accounts, but compared to what we have now on live, it's the lesser of two evils, by miles.
TBC will not save this wreck of a mismanaged nightmare.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.