[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 94 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1575059390834.png (448 KB, 600x600)
448 KB
448 KB PNG
Does anyone play EverQuest here by any chance? We used to have a few guilds from /vr/ back when on P99's Green, namely <Leaf Quartet>, <Fallen Leaves> and <Clover>. I came back and figured I might as well re-post the old thread we had forever ago from here. If you play, how are you feeling about Kunark's release? I just came back and it's still quite fun.

For those curious, EverQuest is an old-school MMORPG that has both populated private servers and continuing retail server.

Previous Thread: >https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S6072094#p6072101

>NEWCOMERS TO PROJECT 1999 (Classic) GUIDES
How to get p99 running: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651
Starting guide for how the game works and helps with deciding class/race: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie
Guides for every aspect of p99: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure
Graphical and music restoration: http://p99.yourfirefly.com/
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280545
Helpful map for manuevering the world: http://wiki.project1999.com/Zone_Connection_World

>NEWCOMERS EVERQUEST (Retail) GUIDES
Guide for choosing race/class and how the game works: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/new-returning-players-guide-to-everquest-live.25738/
Retail game available both on Steam and the EverQuest website.

>GUILD
Project 1999: Leaf Quartet on Green. Type /who all leaf to get a list of current online members and ask one if you can get an invite if you'd like to join.

>NEWS
PROJECT 1999:
November 6th, 2020: Ruins of Kunark launches on Green!
RETAIL:
December 8th, 2020: Claws of Veeshan, EverQuest's 27th expansion, is available now!
>>
>>189602
this is a general >>>/vg/
>>
>>189604
Look up the last time a thread about EverQuest was had, mate. Its been eons. It's just information for anyone who doesn't play but wants to.
>>
How do I solo as an Enchanter?
>>
File: TOzhydZ.png (485 KB, 801x575)
485 KB
485 KB PNG
I recently started playing with OP, it's pretty fun.
We've made Sneed's our general hangout.
>>
>>189608
Based Sneed and Feed.
>>
>>189602
Post screenshots, I've never played but it might be comfy.
>>
File: unknown.png (827 KB, 1055x542)
827 KB
827 KB PNG
>>189617
Here's a handful of us together in a place called Blackburrow. A lot of the game requires teamwork, since monsters can kill you easily if you don't and aren't careful. It's relaxing as a caster, in the sense you have to rest a lot between pulls early on. It feels quite paced. It's what you'd expect of an 1999 MMO, honestly.
>>
File: 1573628748674.png (218 KB, 464x700)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
>>189617
>>189618
Here's another picture, of me roleplaying as an NPC to hand out newer players gifts. In the game, to interact with quest givers, you have to physically reply to them in-text to [bracket text] they might have. The RPG aspect is quite fun.
>>
I tried, i really did but the game is from a bygone era and simply doesnt feel fun.
>>
>>189622
That's entirely understandable. My old man felt similarly, despite getting me into it when I was a kid. I definitely feel spoiled with other games, but sometimes the old veneer pulls me back in. You can definitely feel how many games have improved and changed since back when (for better and for worse).
>>
File: 7n4a3m0.png (419 KB, 633x632)
419 KB
419 KB PNG
I have a few screenshots as well, here's one I took from outside the Qeynos Bard's College. My main is a bard, which has the highly-coveted "make the entire party bonkers-fast" song
>>
File: Ec3grXQ.png (197 KB, 444x569)
197 KB
197 KB PNG
>>189622
Honestly, I understand. Sometimes I like a modern MMO. But right now, I have a mighty need for the old ways. I want soething that defies the long-standing traditions of modern MMOs, and the best way to do that is play a game from a time before those traditions existed.
Also, have this poster, taken from a tavern in Qeynos.
>>
>>189602
Oh yeah I haven't touched P99 in almost a year now. I got invited to Leaf Quartet. Sadly I doubt many people here are interested in EQ. Trust me, I've tried to get people interested.
>>
>>189632
It'd be pretty swell, but with how rigid EverQuest is comparatively these days to other casualized and/or streamlined MMOs of today, I figure asking is mostly for the sake of conversation at best. I also noticed Teal got merged back into Green. I wonder if that gang over on Teal back when joined up. I also hope Nailus is doing alright, since he disappeared and all.
>>
Non-player here. What draws you guys to Everquest (excluding nostalgia)? Is it the grind or something I'm missing?
>>
>>189634
I'm not new to EQ in general. First time playing EQ1 was in 2001 and played on P99 off and on since 2011. While there are many things I do like and miss about the 1st gen of MMO's, EQ1 definitely had many flaws. And no, it has nothing to do with casualization/streamlining but rather much of the difficulty being completely based off janky broken mechanics and ridiculous timesink for the sake of padding out content.
I'm also not a big fan of P99 intentionally keeping in quest breaking bugs or allowing fish to aggro you out of water because of "m-muh authentic timeline accuracy for bug patches"
And yes, there is nothing wrong with some of the quality of life improvements added after SoV such as including features like adding a shared banking slot between your characters.
>>
>>189643
It's not nostalgia, I never played it before a week ago. There's just something comfy about it. It might be the low-poly graphics, the general disposition of its players. It could be that it feels more like a digital pen-and-paper game than a WoW-like themepark MMO
>>
File: wut.png (603 KB, 715x650)
603 KB
603 KB PNG
>>
>>189646
EQ is a themepark MMO. Everything is designated as such. If it weren't, GM petitions for "bawww he cut in line by taking an encounter !!!" wouldn't be a thing.
Games like SWG and EVE are sandbox MMOs
>>
>>189649
I meant more emphasis on "WoW-like" than "themepark" It may be a themepark mmo, but it is a far cry from WoW
>>
>>189643
I generally find the grind paced slow enough during action that it doesn't bother me too much, versus in Korean games where laundry lists and daily, mandated tasks make grinds unbearable. While I am biased in my nostalgia, I also do enjoy how simplistic it is yet unique in its mechanics. The draw isn't in pretty graphics (though the effects are pretty in their own right) or high-octane action, but getting invested in the roleplay of things. Talking to NPCs, learning of their going-ons. As an evil character, I have to be mindful and examine each individual specifically to make sure they won't attack me on sight, or if they'll interact with me. I then invest myself in bettering their opinion with me so I can interact with them, while lowering their guard so I can surreptitiously murder the weaker denizens of the city in cold blood when the guards aren't around. Interacting with them through MUD-like conversation and manually giving them rewards from quests I've had to write down notes for (since there's no quest book) also really immerses me in things. Lots of zones can be especially confusing to navigate, so it feels cathardic when you can navigate the Qeynos sewers with no other tool but memory. Playing it, I feel very involved with my character and the world they're living in, with actual consequences to my actions, with equally enjoyable reward for my efforts. It's also fairly open with roleplay, where interacting with other players have proven memorable and beneficial -- helping another adventurer retrieve their body, distracting a guard and seeking council from wiser heroes have all yielded lucrative gifts that will help me pay it forward in time.

Comparatively to most, despite how simple it is, a lot of the fun relies on how much creativity you bring to the game. Of which, both are in ample supply for me.
>>
>>189646
How do you feel about RunEscape?
>>189649
I feel like it's true that "WOW clones" with a main questline are a subset of themeparks, but there's still a lot to be said about how WOW clones are a lot more restrictive than older themeparks.
>>
>>189650
>>189652
Fair enough. At least Classic EQ1 has contested dungeons, which of course is a double edge sword. Great for casual play, but an absolute shitstain of a nightmare for high end since you have to contest with all the poopsock raiders camping a name for a week waiting for it to spawn.
>>
File: 1576771198072.jpg (62 KB, 680x486)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>189644
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that casualization and streamlining are inherently bad - only different. MMOs of today are vastly different, for better and for worse, in some specific cases. It has served some games very well to stray from EverQuest as far as possible, while improving upon others by taking what EQ provided and improving upon those details. But when I sit down to enjoy a vanilla cake, I don't want to find sprinkles and swirls of chocolate in my cake because the baker insisted it's what I'd want. Yes, shared banking is convenient; no, it is not classic and no I don't want it in my original experience. Yes, it would be enjoyed by people who never played before and would save a lot of headache, and yes do I think it takes away from the whole purpose of it being rigidly mirrored to original intentions.
>>
>>189649
>EQ is a themepark MMO

That's an extremely incorrect observation. A themepark implies it shuffles you, forcibly, from location to location at a fixed rate. The world is extremely open-ended and there's plenty of places to go for the various level brackets with plenty of various reasons to go to said various places. You're speaking purely of the poopsockers who raid at end-game content, which is an entirely different issue.
>>
>>189646
>It could be that it feels more like a digital pen-and-paper game than a WoW-like themepark MMO

God, this. Immensely agree. Very rarely do I feel like I am the character, or am invested, in other games much like EverQuest. It feels like I'm playing DnD with a visual element. It gives me Neverwinter Nights vibes, to boot.
>>
>>189602
Red Server is dead.
>No one plays it.
>>
>>189649
Eve is as much a sandbox as Rust or DayZ, where the vast majority of nutcase players purely go to ruin other players' experience because it's fun and "if the developers didn't want us to grief people, it wouldn't be allowed" when it comes to driving off new players. Not that CCP knows what the hell to do with their own game anyways, of course.
>>
>>189666
Shockingly, they seem to have gone from their regular 10-ish players to 50-ish. The players were pretty hostile and toxic to new people wanting to try out Red last I was interested, so I suppose that probably has changed since then.
>>
>>189652
Runescape's alright, but it's way more noticably grindy than I'd like. It also doesn't help that group activities are basically nonexistant. Its huge emphasis on solo grinding leaves this competitive air to the game.
>>
File: gjTo0Ip.png (526 KB, 818x578)
526 KB
526 KB PNG
This is an esoteric kind of comfy.
>>
File: unknown (3).png (744 KB, 739x589)
744 KB
744 KB PNG
>>189674
Five quintillion years in MSPaint.
>>
>>189663
>A themepark implies it shuffles you, forcibly, from location to location at a fixed rate.
And EQ doesn't? There's an obvious migration path for the player. Sure, there is some variety (much like any MMO with leveling) but you'll be doing the shuffle of going from campsite at EC to NRO to Oasis to Unrest to MC and so on and so forth until you reach endgame. That's how the vast majority of people do their playthroughs and the new people that get into the game are quickly molded into this playstyle by veterans.
> The world is extremely open-ended and there's plenty of places to go for the various level brackets with plenty of various reasons to go to said various places
Same could be said for WoW, FFXI, LOTRO ect. You weren't forced to go to Barrens as Horde mind you. Nor did you have to complete 10 levels there alone.
>>
>>189689
>You weren't forced to go to Barrens as Horde mind you. Nor did you have to complete 10 levels there alone.
>you'll be doing the shuffle of going from campsite at EC to NRO to Oasis to Unrest to MC and so on and so forth until you reach endgame

You're showing a bit of bias there. I don't know about modern EQ, but P99 is a very different beast from any version of WoW I've played.
Let me give an example. By about level 5 in EQ, if you live in Qeynos, you're expected to start collecting Gnoll fangs, which you turn in to a guy in Qeynos for large amounts of XP per fang. On the surface this may seem like a fetch quest, but the devil's in the details. If you're level 5, most gnolls will kick your ass solo, so you'd likely need a team of relatively new players to survive the trip, each taking turns looting fangs when they drop in a sort of rotation. In addition, this entire quest is never explicitly told to you ingame. There is no big "THIS IS A QUEST" exclamation mark over the dude's head. The only way you'd figure this out naturally is by asking NPCs through dialogue. And I think thet's better than just outright knowing where the quest giver is immediately.
>>
File: 1576311251230.png (211 KB, 867x490)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
>>189689
I think >>189694 puts it really well. In WoW, they spoonfeed you quests that are all clumped together that string you along each zone from the top leading down to the bottom. You go to Darkshore's Auberdine, grab a fistful of quests from the folks with glowing exclamation marks over their heads and head to an area that conveniently has all your quests mobs clumped together for you to very, very easily solo. In EverQuest? Barring the meta of Google or Alakhazam, you'd need to ask around among PCs or NPCs as you explore for quests to do. As a Monk, I was tasked to kill Putrid Skeletons (which were well above my caliber at the time). I also found one to deliver a letter from the Bards, to kill an innocent guy named Gharin for some Necromancers, retrieve fangs from a Gnoll burrow that I very much needed help to do (of which, I could do repeatedly) and much others quests that sent me all around creation. Nothing told me I should or shouldn't kill that innocent guy -- it was entirely to my discretion. I killed Drosco in the sewers and kept the necklace, despite it being a quest item. I killed Rabid Wolves, found both in the Karanas and Qeynos Foothills and brought them to the Paladins. Unlike WoW, there were no restrictions to which quests I could do, or when I could do them or if I even should. There are quests that even give you random rewards, and sometimes even better rewards depending on how often you do them. One experience is very open-ended, and one is fairly linear.

What you're describing is a player-created meta, not a design of the game. On Blue, I went from Qeynos to Crushbone to NRo to Sol A, and sometimes back and forth between those places depending on my mood (since the zone ranges were so wide). My friends and I are probably going to go either do Bandits or Crushbone by the time we're 12. By your definition, Eve Online is equally a themepark MMO, as you have to go from Level 1 to Level 2 to Level 3 to Level 4 Mission Contacts.
>>
>>189694
>You're showing a bit of bias there.
Except I'm not. I was never fond of WoW as a game with the most I did was buying the game out of peer pressure from friends, getting up to level 60 in 2006 and leaving back to EQ2 because I did not care for WoW's total reliance on instancing or its artstyle. No, the bias approach would be to loathe and obsess over the success of WoW for 16+ years like much of the EQ fanbase. God knows how many WoW boogeyman posts I see still when I retread into EQ forums or P99 like bitter old men.
> By about level 5 in EQ, if you live in Qeynos, you're expected to start collecting Gnoll fangs, which you turn in to a guy in Qeynos for large amounts of XP per fang.
Yeah everybody knows about how broken that quest is. If you start in Qeynos for Class/Race/Diety reasons, you do the gnoll fang farm routine and jump about 15+ levels then go to civilization (Freeport/EC Tunnel).
>If you're level 5, most gnolls will kick your ass solo,
Just get someone higher level to kill them. I've done that for people, visa versa. Farm and skip 10 levels with ease. That's how jank that quest is. Same with Kaladims Bone Chips which apparently got a nerf on green as of late.
> In addition, this entire quest is never explicitly told to you ingame.
That might've been the case when the game came out, but you're told because guides on the internet exist along with veterans who know the game from the back of their hand. Back when I started playing this game in 2001, it only took two weeks to know much of the ins and outs of early leveling thanks to vets eager on giving me tips and guidance
>There is no big "THIS IS A QUEST" exclamation mark over the dude's head.
Most quests (esp early ones) in classic EQ1 are shit. Some quests had ridiculous requirements but god awful payouts, while others were piss easy and were very broken (see: above gnoll fangs)
I remember doing the Ghoulbane...(cont)
>>
(cont) Quest (The Sword of Nobility) all the way back in the day. Some dwarf paladin in Butcherblock was camping a particular quest NPC that you had to hand over a note to just for him to click and receive the exchanged item instead and had a lengthy convo with a GM over it just to find out a few hours later that you can just go to the next npc asking "what bag" to bypass that part entirely.
>>189705
>In WoW, they spoonfeed you quests that are all clumped together that string you along each zone
In EQ1, as said, the majority of quests were meaningless. You had some diamonds spread here and there (Jboots/AoL/PoO) for specific races/classes but they were the exception, not the rule. It isn't until endgame when you started doing epics in RoK or other specific questlines where there were beefier loads of acceptable rewards (good reason why ToSR was added in classic).
>In EverQuest? Barring the meta of Google or Alakhazam, you'd need to ask around among PCs or NPCs as you explore for quests to do.
Or you do the sensible thing and ask end game players ingame or someones who's rolling an alt in group "hey, whats the best gear for my specific class? *follow up question* "How do I obtain it?"
> Unlike WoW, there were no restrictions to which quests I could do, or when I could do them or if I even should.
You don't need to do specific questline hubs in WoW. Most quest routes in WoW were there for simply giving people something to do when you grinded out while leveling. Much of the rewards were decent, but weren't not the same as group rewards in a dungeon. You could easily skip questlines just to proceed to somewhere else and take a quest from someone else, they were not required nor necessarily for progression.
>>
(cont) >One experience is very open-ended, and one is fairly linear.
I take it you never played WoW.
>What you're describing is a player-created meta, not a design of the game.
Because most people playing P99 are people who've already know what to expect. This isn't 20 years ago when the average person jumping into this game have zero knowledge, these are people returning for nostalgia. It's the samething people did for WoW Classic, they knew the ins and outs of the game and knew what zones had the best payoff.
>On Blue, I went from Qeynos to Crushbone to NRo to Sol A, and sometimes back and forth between those places depending on my mood
Yeah I've done that too. Everybody stays on the east side of Antonica unless its for a specific item to head over Karanas ect (see: FBE or GBS). Why would I want to wonder around in some spot of SK where there are no big groups and *maybe* get a tiny fraction of xp? Time is value for many. I've long since smelled the roses of this game and many of its muddied 32x32 res stretched out ground textures.
>>
>>189735
>>189737
I think you're completely missing the point of what makes old EQ comfy. Most if not all of the responses you gave imply that the only point of quests is to get you cool shit, and that if you aren't working on leveling or getting cool shit, why bother?
You're basically what /tg/ would call a powergamer. You don't give a fuck about concepts like "fun" or "atmosphere" you just wanna get to endgame as fast as possible. This conditioning is the precise reason why good MMOs aren't made anymore.
>>
>>189737
>>189735
I apologize for the very lackluster response to your detailed posts, Anon, but everything you're talking about are meta aspects between the two games. You're talking about an entirely seperate topic.
>>
>>189744
>Because most people playing P99 are people who've already know what to expect. This isn't 20 years ago when the average person jumping into this game have zero knowledge, these are people returning for nostalgia. It's the samething people did for WoW Classic, they knew the ins and outs of the game and knew what zones had the best payoff.
Are you going to completely ignore the guy in this thread who's only started a week ago, and has never played before?
>>
File: zOOudxj.png (185 KB, 784x418)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
OH GOD OH FUCK
THERE HE GOES
>>
>>189747
Not everybody does a strict roleplay session, that includes most people on P99. "meta" in an MMO is a given.
>>189751
As said before, took me two weeks to know early level progression, I'm
>>
>>189761
>A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>189766
Seriously though.
I have never played EQ, so it can't exactly be nostalgia, but I have properly watched hundreds of hours of gameplay over the last 5 or so years.
I don't know what it is exactly but I fucking love the look. It's so cozy.
>>
>>189782
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-CHG_To7Ag
>>
>>189782
Personally, there's a kind of minimalistic charm to the low-polygon look. The game's also not afraid to make use of wildly contrasting colors, too. It leaves a lot of room for imagination.
>>
File: LWLmPkK.png (115 KB, 679x331)
115 KB
115 KB PNG
>>189761
I have now saved Fippy from certain doom by drawing his aggro.
>>
File: 6OvWw8j.png (778 KB, 1113x605)
778 KB
778 KB PNG
Oh right, one of the deities is a literal space alien, and their temple is an actual floating UFO.
>>
File: 1591407882844.jpg (20 KB, 499x294)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>189782
I find all old 3d games hold up pretty well, though not so much n64 stuff
PS1 stuff, Dreamcast stuff, the first 3d MMOs, RTSes when they were big, and the older multiplayer fpses all look good to me
I'm not sure if that's because I was playing some of those things when I was 6 or not.

If I were to describe it, I'd say that what I like about the artstyle is that its otherworldly enough to be intriguing, and the limited detail actually helps it avoid being overwhelming.
Or maybe it's just novelty compared to the way both alot of more popular vidya, and the way the real world looks
>>
>make a dark elf warrior
>find the warrior trainer, get my tunic
>ask her for a quest
>she insists I only address her as "mistress"
>she tells me to go all the way to Oggok, to deliver a note to a Dark Elf ambassador, then come back
>specifically mentions not to train or level up before going, and just to go immediately, because "we have no place for weaklings"
>through some divine twist of luck, I actually walk all the way to Oggok as a level 1
>currently waiting at the meeting spot for the ambassador.

Pretty immersive NGL I really feel like an expendible dark elf looking to prove his worth.
>>
File: nSlVYBI.png (11 KB, 549x26)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
TIME TO WALK BACK
>>
File: 9blBdoh.png (641 KB, 1323x623)
641 KB
641 KB PNG
>walk into Sneed's
>hear commotion upstairs
>my fucking enchanter friend is putting a live skeleton in Sneed's bedroom
>>
>>190458
I guess we found out what happened to Chuck.
>>
Man, this thread is making me want to try it out. But I'm kind of hooked on FFXI at the moment with the new private server that just came out..
>>
File: unknown.png (7 KB, 273x82)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
she wasn't lying, that ass can fart
>>
>>190560
>Quadruple damage
>Level 10

Such bullshit.
>>
>>190546
Well bright side, also free and a small download. If you find yourself itching for something different. I play this between bouts of City of Heroes, personally.
>>
File: t9VE2Ja.png (491 KB, 951x664)
491 KB
491 KB PNG
In 3126 they voted my city the worst place to live in Antonica.
Main issues?
Sky high rate of violence
And more people living below the poverty line than anywhere else.
>>
File: i3G6INo.png (226 KB, 856x345)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
>>
>>189602
Played on Green the past 7 or so months, and recently decided to take a break (the Kunark rush was rough). Easily the best MMO on the market, but god damn does it suck your soul (and time) away. I wish I could play this casually and not have to dedicate so much focus. Each play session essentially requires 3+ hours of dedication to get anything meaningful done, and raiding takes so damn long. I want to keep playing, but its so damn time-consuming.
>>
One thing I've loved about playing on p99 is how chill almost all the players are about gear or experience. I've PUG'd with folks in KC who are decked in full planar, wearing banded, who know everything about the dungeon, and who know nothing, but not once has anyone said "lets kick this guy his gear score is too low" or "they don't know the mechanics" or something of like that. It is refreshing to play an MMO where the community isn't full of mouth-breathers like most modern MMOs.
>>
>>191800
>One thing I've loved about playing on p99 is how chill almost all the players are

Agreed. Shit's fucking wild. Almost every person I've run into has either been generous and given me gifts, roleplayed with me or has otherwise been sociably welcoming. Outside of the tryhards who try to min-max as hard as possible at all times, it's probably one of the best game communities I've ever been a part of.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjl9O8ZvtU
>>
>>192170
Still better than Cyberflop 2077.
>>
>>191800
>One thing I've loved about playing on p99 is how chill almost all the players are about gear or experience
Lol I take you never actually visited their forums
>>
>>189761
>Fippy Darkpaw
Wow I played Everquest as a wee lad and thought I didn’t remember anything but this just unlocked a huge cache of memories
>>
>>192583
People on forums tend to be spergs, so I avoid it premptively.
>>
>>192946
That's where all the heavy hitters are
>>
>>192982
>>192946
These posts convey the exact same message, but in a different light.
>>
>>192987
Spergs in the sense of elitist, min-maxing tryhards that rage at new players, to be specific.
>>
Been meaning to try this out. Any advice on starting out and how long it takes to say, get to level 10 or enough to get a good idea of how the game works?
>>
>>193009
I got to 10 in like a few days, and by then I had a pretty firm grasp on things.
>>
is p99 safe considering that custom client?
>>
>>193036
Safe as in not a virus? Definitely.
>>
>>189602
Wasn't EQ considered the hottest MMO before WoW came out?
>>
>>193069
I'm not OP, but I think so, yeah.
>>
>>193069
It peaked in Fall 2003 when it hit 500k before dropping soon after. For the genre that was pretty big, but FFXI surpassed that before WoW did. I remember the chat logs were full of people debating to leave EQ1 when WoW was due to come out, it was especially fierce when Gates of Discord expansion was released in early 2004.
>>
>>193069
It was definitely high up there, still got talked about quite fondly by a lot of people shortly after WoW was released.
>>
>>193069
>>193076
To my understanding, it was the first 3D MMO, and aside from Asheron's Call and Ultima Online, it was a very known game name even by normies (albeit notoriously, due to all the press coverage of how addicting it was and how much a problem that caused for a lot of people). Like mentioned, a whole lot of people hopped ship around Gates of Discord, as did my father and I ourselves back when. The people who worked on WoW originally were very largely inspired by EverQuest for a large majority of the game, if they weren't outright old staff. Some carry-overs were pretty prevelant, such as people referring to leveling at "singing", using /camp to log out and color-difficulty indicating. Once WoW took off and EQ 2 did okayish though, the EQ name fell off a fair bit.

Looking back, personally, I'm not a big fan of Planes of Power and how it diminished world travel by trivializing it with books. The automatic Wizard spires were neat, but not as ever-expansive.
>>
>>193036
Considering they've a formal "we're cool with what these guys do" by both Sony and Daybreak Games, if they inadvertantly advocated for or allowed anything with viruses, that could land then in deep and boiling shit. I just use the Lavishsoft launcher, myself.

>>193009
I'd say if you played about four hours every day for a week, you'd have a very, very thorough idea on whether it's the kind of game you like or not. That'd well get you to 12 or so, depending if you take it casually or push it hard, and where you start. Qeynos for a comfy, tutorial-esque atmosphere and Freeport for where the vast majority of people are for if you're looking to learn in hand by the more experienced players rather than individually. A fair enough amount of people play on the Qeynos side of the world, but you'll find an overwhelming amount at Freeport. If anything, it's easier to travel from Freeport to Qeynos than visa versa.
>>
File: 63303400_p0.jpg (247 KB, 574x574)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>193069
Hell no, it was know for being the PvE MMO for carebears and scrubs, the laughingstock of this clown genre.

Then, in their impotent rage and tired of being mocked daily by real MMORPG players, they joined Blizzard, made WoW the "product" it is today and killed the whole genre.
>>
File: 1605533045467.gif (19 KB, 100x100)
19 KB
19 KB GIF
started a bit ago, I'm a level 33 beastlord on firiona vie
>>
>>193422
>Hell no, it was know for being the PvE MMO for carebears and scrubs, the laughingstock of this clown genre.
By literally no one except the same raging spergs that moved on to Eve. You must have lived in an alternate timeline, because EQ was a household name by anyone who had a computer with internet.

Also, a fraction of what your second statement is correct, in that a portion of their staff moved on to work on WoW, which did ultimately casualize the MMO scene. But heaven forbid people wanted a medieval fantasy RPG without the everlooming threat of PvP. Seeing someone act so smug about being a PvP elitist about ancient games is pretty cringey, bud.
>>
>>193423
Oh hey, that's my old Retail server, what up. I could never see myself going back to Retail, but I'm glad you're having a good time, Anon. Good on ya.
>>
>playing MMOs for PvP
cringe and bluepilled, go play an actual PvP genre
>>
>>193436
I'm honestly shocked Red's population went from 15 on average to 50. I can't imagine how clunky and godawful trying to PvP in EQ must be. But as an Enchanter, I could imagine it'd be pretty aids to fight and hilarious to play as.
>>
With how much like a digitized pen-and-paper game P99 everquest is, I'm surprised there isn't a bigger rp community. I'd love to just chill and shoot the shit with fellow adventurers in a Qeynos tavern.
>>
>>193451
if you don't mind playing live, the rp server is one of the most popular ones
>>
>>193452
Sadly, I feel like live sucked most of the soul out of the game. I appreciate the reply, though.
>>
>>193451
A lot of people on Green seem very open to roleplaying; the majority of people I've interacted with roleplay along with me when I do. Also there's a surprising amount of people still who float around Qeyos, both high and low. Not sure how it is on Blue, but a lot of areas are fairly dead in comparison because most are raidlogging, doing end-game content or are on Green.

But to answer your question, there's starting stat point allocation. Your god, Class and Race determine a lot of your starting faction standing -- Druids and Necromancers hate each other, followers of Bertoxxulous aren't welcomed by a good handful of the citizens of Qeynos initially and Erudites look down on standard Qeynos citizens to an extent. Some races share classes but have obvious stat differences, such as Gnome and Ogre Warriors. Certain monsters only spawn at certain times, from specific in-game hours to day or night. You have to reply to [certain text] NPCs say with written prompts like "What certain text?" or "Tell me of the certain text", and you have to manually trade quest items to them. There are pros and cons to everything, such as killing good people for easy experience and money at the expense of limited travel. Lots of quests send you all around creation, sometimes to places you well shouldn't be for when they offer you. The difficulty of encounters is boiled down to ambiguous color and text descriptors, which can be very misleading (such as conning blue, which traditionally easier but can be harder than yellow cons in rare instances). Items don't have level requirements, only race/class requirements. Money has weight. You need to train your skill to know which ways are N/S/E/W. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but that's a start.
>>
File: JOwNvA2.png (196 KB, 323x382)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
>>193469
I don't recall asking a question in that post, but okay.
>>
File: fo_am.png (564 KB, 640x480)
564 KB
564 KB PNG
>>193469
>But to answer your question, there's starting stat point allocation. Your god, Class and Race determine a lot of your starting faction standing -- Druids and Necromancers hate each other, followers of Bertoxxulous aren't welcomed by a good handful of the citizens of Qeynos initially and Erudites look down on standard Qeynos citizens to an extent. Some races share classes but have obvious stat differences, such as Gnome and Ogre Warriors. Certain monsters only spawn at certain times, from specific in-game hours to day or night. You have to reply to [certain text] NPCs say with written prompts like "What certain text?" or "Tell me of the certain text", and you have to manually trade quest items to them. There are pros and cons to everything, such as killing good people for easy experience and money at the expense of limited travel. Lots of quests send you all around creation, sometimes to places you well shouldn't be for when they offer you. The difficulty of encounters is boiled down to ambiguous color and text descriptors, which can be very misleading (such as conning blue, which traditionally easier but can be harder than yellow cons in rare instances). Items don't have level requirements, only race/class requirements. Money has weight. You need to train your skill to know which ways are N/S/E/W. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but that's a start.
half of this is the kind of shit MMOs are missing nowadays
half of this is the reason I don't like P99

It's like MMOs are either full autism or full casual with no inbetween.
>>
>>193469
My main issue with Green is it's too popular. While, yes, there are more players meaning a more active rp community, there are also various immersion-breaking things scattered about, like people constantly killing the Qeynos bankers, or a literal line to get in Blackburrow.
>>
>>193470
Oh, I misread your post and didn't see the word "With". I guess I left it over at Felthwithe.
>>
>>193479
>like people constantly killing the Qeynos bankers

This shit can fuck right off. It is exceedingly annoying to deal with.

>>193473
I can certainly agree. The level of hour-investment is frustrating at times.
>>
>>193470
She cute.
>>
>>192946
Can confirm, I am a sperg and use forums extensively
>>
https://youtu.be/-MWMarEaZ7c
>>
>>193529
Michael is that you?
>>
I liked eq music
https://youtu.be/faVQ7JBfPdA
>>
>>193555
I like YOU.
>>
>>193473
That's what I hate about MMOs and what people think on the direction they should take. It's always about doubling down on either direction without much compromise or seeing the merits of the opposite side.
>>
I really wasn’t planning on ever playing EQ again but I keep thinking about it and have for a couple weeks now. Is project 99 the way to go? I played around that time but was too young to know what I was doing, my dad would just take me places to bonk stuff while he healed me so I’m basically a brand new player
>>
>>193642
Yeah, project 1999 is the way to go, I believe. Anything later in the game's life, and it starts to feel soulless and casualized.
Go to green if you want to play with lots of people, for better or for worse.
Go to blue if you want to play by yourself and the people you bring with you, for better or for worse.
>>
>>193644
I won’t be able to bring anyone so I guess I’ll go green. The massive skill gap wiol be an issue eventually I’m sure but I’m not confident if I’d be anything more than a tourist anyway
>>
>>193656
That's fair. Me and a few friends play on Blue primarily. I'm hoping once they get more comfortable with how the game works, we can start making Qeynos a sort of rp hotsot.
>>
>>193757
I’m an RPer in most MMOs and Qeynos is the only location I can remember from back then. Maybe I’ll roll blue just for that
>>
Real talk: Daybreak Games got bought out; do you think that will effect P99 in any meaningful way?
>>
Merry Christmas, /vm/.
>>
Is there a class that can root rot through the entire game? The semi-afk play style would be perfect for a second monitor while I am working.
>>
I fell into the moat of a castle and couldnt manage to get out so I quit
>>
>>194886
Yes
>>
>>190282
Ah, forgotten memory retrieved.
>>
Would the VM guild be willing to help a mid 20's zoomer who's never played EQ?
>>
>>196932
No.
>>
>>196981
Oh, okay.
>>
>>196932
I don’t think there is a /vm/ guild.
Is there any guild?
>>
>>195812
Magicians were practically designed with this in mind. Necros can do it too.

>>196932
>>197125
Yes, <Leaf Quartet>, though the acting GM is an Officer left over before the first wave members left. All that exists is low level second wave members and the one officer, so everyone mostly helps each other as they can (which is only so much). It's mostly more for company than help, though it's also based in the ass-end of the world at Qeynos.
>>
gonna laugh so hard when P99 gets hit with a cease and desist
>>
>>197185
its been running since before you were born
more people support it than have ever even seen you let alone care about you
>>
>>197215
wow you really offended me. doesn't matter tho, there's a new owner of the IP and I don't think they'll be as charitable as Daybreak was.
>>
>>197185
>>197219
That's not how that works, but alright, sweety.
>>
>>197219
Also for the record, Daybreak still owns the IP. It's that someone owns Daybreak now, numbnuts.
>>
>>197428
>>197429
is this down syndrome?
>>
>>197429
Are you literally mentally handicapped?
>>
>>197435
>>197682
>Samefagging this hard

Please stop embarrassing yourself, Shitposter-kun.
>>
File: samefag.png (11 KB, 189x416)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>197809
>Samefagging this hard
nope
>>
I’m level 20 Druid and I am already sick of people asking me for binds and sow. I have better things to do than run around the zone giving people buffs holy shit can I just play the game in peace Jesus Christ. How do people main this class?
>>
What are some good turn-in quests for relatively easy XP at level 10? I recall there was something for bone chips or something.
>>
>>198376
They gutted the bone chip quest, if you are in faydark the do crushbone belts if you are in qeynos do bandit sashes. Idk about the other starting areas.
>>
>>189602
I would join on p99, but I doubt anybody is making new characters on green at this point.
>>
>>198672
You would be extremely surprised. Blackburrow isn't exactly full at all times, but unless it's off-peak, you'll usually need to join someone's group because the camps are full or almost full. I see about two or three new players in the newbie yard at any time, too. Kunark also very recently came out, too. It's currently sitting around double the population of Blue presently.
>>
>>198376
>>198415
Lightstones to turn in at North Katana are amazing experience for Level 10's, and it's still balls easy to at least squeeze out some extra experience with fangs from Blackburrow in decent enough quality. Look up a guy named Reptox, he has a video of him at one point turning in a bunch of quest rewards in various places for big EXP.

>>197873
Oh, well if you're tired and frustrated now, just wait until you can give people Druid ports and Evacs. Just tell folks you'll do all that for tips and they'll usually obglige. You're one of the three classes made to get their dick sucked, among Enchanters and Wizards for Crack and ports. Alternatively, /Anon or /Roleplay to conceal your level, class and race from /who searches. Rangers used to do this a lot to pretend to be Warriors to get into groups.
>>
>>189602
I got into P1999 blue server for a while, is green as active as people say?
if id start on Kunark as an Iksar now, would i get dudes to grind curskin hides with?
>>
>>198959
Green is more active as it is the newest server. Don't worry too much however since everybody will get transferred over to blue in the end when green resets.
>>
File: Weeknight.png (8 KB, 206x300)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>198959
You can see right meow on the website. Pretty healthy population online right now for 10:00 PM EST. 7 dudes chillin' in the Qeynos Aqueducts because why not.
>>
>>197215
Unfortunately Daybreak now is under new management as it was acquire by another company. They might not see eye to eye to the agreement for emulated servers. And no, if they say "shut it down" you can't say "nah ah!" since there is no contract created that gives immunity to P99's operation.
>>
>>199717
The new company would have to be completely retarded to shutdown p99 since it is half the reason EverQuest is still even in the public eye.
>>
File: 1.jpg (42 KB, 720x650)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>189669
50 isnt enough to consider joining. Youd hardly run into anyone ever. I just dont see the point
>>
I rolled up a Darkie Elf Wizard because I'm bored, dunno if I'm gonna stick with it I never have before. Highest level I got to was 10 on a Rogue. There's something just appealing about the game though.
>>
>>193644
>Anything later in the game's life, and it starts to feel soulless and casualized.
lol you got filtered
>>
>>199760
not if they want to have a p99 of their own
>>
>>199922
I agree. Don't get me wrong, as I mention, it's an improvement, but I also think it's silly.
>>
>>200033
Everything post-GoD is generally considered the jumping-off point for classic EQ fans as a point of no return. A lot of changes in Shadows of Luclin made Wizard ports and the EC Tunnel a moot point, and Planes of Power absolutely killed the point of being a Druid or Wizard. Later EQ is virtually a different game and looks way worse.
>>
They shouldn’t have rolled teal into green, fucking sick of every single camp being fucked 24/7
>>
>>199760
Except it's not making them money.
>>
Alright, it was a good run but I am done with this shit. Every single camp worth doing is locked down by the big guilds for days at a time and every time you try to do something they start reciting laws like some kind of p1999 neckbeard lawyer. If you don’t listen they just cry to GM. Fucking pathetic. “”””””Classic”””””” EQ my ass.
>>
>>200516
wait stealing camps is actually against the rules?
>>
>>200581
Always has been
>>
>>200581
Their definition of stealing is incredibly broad. Say you are running through a zone and happen to pass a “campable” mob and nuke it, instant bitching and threats of reporting. It’s asinine.
>>
Can I enter Freeport as a Dark Elf?
>>
>>200640
It depends on your class, if you are a necro or shadowknight then there will be npcs in the city that will kill you and the guards won’t help. There are probably npcs that are aggro to dark elfs too. Just make sure you /con everything (right clicking on a person will con them too)
>>
>>200649
I'm playing a Wizard and yeah I stood away from the gates and the guards are at least conning as dubious so I think I'm okay. Probably helps I didn't pick Innoruuk since I read that makes you KoS in a lot of places.
>>
>>200661
>>200649
I'm actually surprised how much of the town I'm able to run around in without being attacked, it's just that 75% of the vendors won't even deal with me.
>>
>>200684
I HAVE SOMETHING THAT DARKS ELVES USE, ITS CALLED THE EXIT
>>
>>200687
Made me laugh the first time I read it.
>>
File: OG40%.png (19 KB, 1251x125)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>
>>201518
Ranger truly is the redhead bastard stepchild of eq classes.
>>
>>199760
EQ1 still has 60,000+ subscribers attached to the game according to the recent leak. P99 usually hits less than 3000 concurrent players during the week nights.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-05-everquest-is-bigger-than-everquest-2
Enad Global 7 didn't purchase Everquest franchise as a fucking charity case. Games are business, especially MMO's where they have to fork the bill monthly. If they feel that P99 is infringing, then they can order for a C&D.
>>
>>201953
retard.
>>
Don't you die on me.
>>
Do shaman and necro dots stack?
>>
>>189608
is this real
>>
>>204013
The man himself
>>
File: 1572840421000.png (374 KB, 500x500)
374 KB
374 KB PNG
>>
File: 1572839423024.png (387 KB, 499x470)
387 KB
387 KB PNG
>>
If I snare a low hp mob so that it can’t move does it still take full damage from dots or does it have to actually be rooted?
>>
>>204130
>>204131
Holy shit I had a dream and wa ted to post these and wake up to them. Trippy as fuck.

>Froglok Realist says it's okay to log off right after you get your level
>Froglok Idealist says you should probably get enough EXP to pad put one death, just in case but will probably die in the meantime
>>
>>204165
That's called Root Rotting and it works for sure. You can Root your enemy and then DoT them up, or you can Snare them and kite them with Nukes, whichever your pick. But yes, anything more than DoTs generally will break the Root.
>>
>>204165
Forgot to add, if their HP is low enough, your Snare will virtually root them and you can do whatever you'd like to them.
>>
>>204213
I am aware of that however since mobs take reduced damage from dots while they are in motion (unless they are feared) then I don’t know if they are taking full dot damage while having low hp and snare. The game may think the enemies are still technically moving, just with 0% movement speed which would cause dots to do the reduced amount of damage. That is what my question is about.
>>
>>204219
>mobs take reduced damage from dots while they are in motion (unless they are feared)

I did not know that, thanks for the tip!
>>
Does anybody actually sell low end gear? I swear I have been in EC for days and only ever see people selling endgame 2k+ plat gear
>>
>>204841
Depends on if you're on Blue or Green. I don't see it all that much on Blue, if ever. On Green you will, and if you emphasize you're a new player and/or low level, people will generally tend to help you out.
>>
File: 1978comiccon.jpg (216 KB, 500x640)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>197183
It's been awhile since I've played but iirc Mages never got the root spell.

They're still a decent solo class however
>>
Are clerics that needed at all on green? I'm wanting to roll a new character after my paladin got stuck at level 6.
>>
>>189602
Low-level human cleric worshipping innoruuk. Would I get killed on sight by troll npcs?
>>
>>205863
The earth pet has a root that it spams, and the pet is used to keep the mob still in lieu of actually being rooted.

>>206618
You will never have trouble finding a group as a cleric

>>206844
Yes, I think
>>
>>206618
While Tanks are needed fairly regularly, you can always fish off that responsibility to the tankiest guy in the group and take a slower pace. Healers, however, can always enable a group to go faster. Plus, people will worship you like a god once you start being able to hand out resurrection.
>>
>>206844
More than likely, yeah. That said, there's always odd cases like the Ogre dude at the entrance of Freeport who is indifferent to everyone.
>>
>>202227
>unable to prove me wrong
>>
>>207064
>Implying there's anything to prove or that you'd accept proof if it were stuffed up your ass by the fistfull

No point arguing with retards, retard.
>>
are tradeskills worth it? just started leveling a mage on green and wanted to get into brewing for fun
>>
>>207258
Food and drinks later on can lead to making food that gives stat buffs and supply more fulfilling meals.
>>
are epics feasible on green now that kunark is out or are they on reserve for the high end guilds?
>>
>>207508
it depends on the what your class is, but anything that drops epic pieces for classes that are at least decent for raiding are permanently locked down 24/7 by the top tier guilds
>>
>>207510
mage, wasnt sure if the epic pet is still "the best" or if the new 60 one was better

did the monk epic long time ago and its still one of my top memorable gaming moments
>>
>>207514
its gonna be rough as a mage because it shares drop tables with a lot of important class epic drops. the mage epic is also incredibly good compared to other epics so it is more heavily farmed for that purpose as well. mage is also a semi-popular class. You are in for a ride trying to farm it.
>>
>>207518
that sucks, thanks anyway!
>>
I thought the language concept on the official RP server was a cool concept. Different races spoke different tongues. You had to learn the common tongue if you didnt know it by hearing other people speak it a bunch. Not the best since it often just resulted in people DM spamming so their new toons could learn the common tongue, but still interesting.
>>
does the guild need a cleric?
>>
>>208104
Without trying to sound like a pessimist, I wouldn’t recommend that you make a character expecting to play with anons. The anons that do play are very scattered and there probably aren’t that many of them. If you like grouping in general then cleric is a good class to play that you will easily be able to find a group most of the time.
>>
File: 1523776572983.png (262 KB, 500x452)
262 KB
262 KB PNG
>>204130
>>204131
>Idealist is unarmed
>Realist is armed
>>
>>208104
>>208172
This. Half the Anons that started playing again recently lost interest or had other things take up their time. A couple of them play together but the GMs didn't bother responding to petitions to hand over guild lead. Clerics are great and no one would ever turn down a Cleric in a group.
>>
>>208588
This always happens with 4chan guilds in MMOs, I don't know why no one can ever stick with it.
>>
>levels 60s anonymously farming hill giants in rathe out of shame to hide their guild tag and level
This is such cancer, for how much of a hard on the GMs have for enforcing rules it is shocking that this is even allowed. The other day there was a level 60 farming ancient croc too. They should be forced to give up the camp to people who are actually level appropriate imo.
>>
So I'm a doofus and didn't realize there's a thread on /vr/. Might as well link the two: >>>/vrpg/1173810

>>209039
It is pretty silly. No idea why people are so afraid to have a sense of accountability with their association. My only understanding are Druids and Wizards who don't want "pls gib port" 24/7, honestly. I do agree that it's very scummy when high-levels take low-level camps when low-levels are around.
>>
So is playing wizard actually a big boring waste of time? I kinda like the idea of just having a million different nukes and being able to teleport but from what I've read online no one wants to group with wizards and you just spend all day "quad kiting" until you can raid. Which doesn't appeal to me. I've had enough of aoe grinding and raiding in WoW.
>>
>>209314
I wouldn’t recommend rolling a wizard if you are looking for a grouping experience
>>
>>209314
Anyone who refuses outright to have you in their group is being overly stingy and can be disregarded. But yes, you will spend lots of time sitting down with your face in a book between nukes.
>>
>>209317
>>209320
Fair enough, I'll play some other kind of spellcaster.
>>
>>209321
I highly recommend Magician - very solo friendly, very helpful in groups, too.
>>
>>208172
>>208588
all good, just figured id ask
just been chilling outside of the dwarf city, Whoabundy if anyone wants to party up
>>
Are people joining Leaf Quartet? Also what level are other anons?
>>
File: EQ000005.png (1.06 MB, 1600x900)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
Stupid orcs never stood a chance against this angry pack of elves and midgets.
>>
>>210160
Oh hey, I saw Letmetryit on my way out of GFay. Shucks, shouldn't swung by and said hello.

>>210102
There were about a month ago, but since I'm the only one who can invite and I don't think the GMs don't plan on changing that any time soon say, I doubt it will be. That said, my main is now a 22 Ranger and I fucking love it.
>>
>>210160
Considering the size of wood elves it's all midgets really.
>>
Holy shit! Never knew there was a living EQ thread on 4chins.
Picked up this game properly on retail Aradune at launch for the first time ever and been playing since then. Despite some asinine game design choices (fucking VP key, I'm looking at you) and a bit dated gameplay it's a goddamn blast.
Classic was fine as a learning experience, Kunark was fucking stellar (even race changed my SHM to ikky) and Velious was a chore in some regards (fixing one's standing after a night of raiding is such a hassle, holy shit) but really damn fun in others (namely the dungeon design and raiding content). Besides, snowy areas aren't really my cup of tea.
Can't wait for Luclin to land, got myself a nice set of focus effect gear and overall idea of going to the moon seems interesting.
I can see how people were going missing in this grind heap back in 99-00 for sure.
>>
>>210489
It happens sometimes. Started out on /v/, then got moved to /vg/, couldn't keep up with the gacha threads and moved to /vr/ and died. Was reposted recently on /vr/, /vm/ and /vrpg/ but died on /vr/ while this and the /vrpg/ threads are alive and well. It's a fresh breath of air.

I wanted to like the TLP servers, as I tried out Phinigel and Fippy, and too much of their "QoL" changes I wasn't very fond of because it took too much away from the game. Glad to see Sony / Daybreak took to their guns and tried to offer something similar but different. I enjoy some of the newer content like Frogloks, but stuff like making Wizards moot with the Moon, the Bazar and the PoP, among many things, I feel ultimately killed it for me. I'm glad you're having a swell time though, Anon!
>>
is enchanter a good class to play for a newcomer?
>>
Electric funstuff presents a story which is sad but true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW_yVGPd0ns
>>
>>212647
It's a bit difficult as a complete newcomer I'd say. There are a lot of game mechanics involved in a fight that you need to be aware of. That can be offset by teaming up with a group that allows you to learn, that's true for all the classes. I think the P99 ppl are nice enough to understand if you mention you're new to the game, so you can learn as you go. Soloing is harder than grouping so focus on group playing first, make some friends in GFay. Make your enchanter agnostic if you don't know what the consequences are.

Search youtube for p1999 enchanter vids, there are some quite nice ones with explanation. The solo dungeon crawl vids are max complexity and show what enchanters are capable of, however it is not necessary to understand right-away.
>>
didnt realize having a deity is an issue, did i bork my rogue by going with bristlebane? only level 6 so its early enough to restart them with agnostic instead
>>
>>214040
your faction calculation vs an NPC depends on several factors: your race, deity and any increases or decreases you may have accumulated by killing NPC's or completing quests.

Enchanters are a special case here since they can cast spells that gives them the illusion to be of another race. So a high elf enchanter can cast "Illusion: Troll" and walk into Oggok unharmed. Unless.. that enchanter worships Tunare or another goody-2-shoes god which will not sit well with the Troll Shadowknight guildmembers roaming the city. So for convenience it is advice to be agnostic as enchanter. I am not sure how this translates to rogues.

I can recommend the class guides on the P99 wiki:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Enchanter
https://wiki.project1999.com/Rogue
There are advantages to Britlebane worshiper it seems.
>>
>>214066
assuming the mask illusions work the same way, ill prolly reroll as agnostic barb for slam
thankyou!
>>
>>209039
Why wouldn't this be allowed? 60s farming HGs always happened
>>
>>214143
It's more along the lines of people having things perma-camped and being Anon because they can't own up to the fact of not playing nice and sharing, chiefly with people who actually are level appropriate versus chasing pixels.
>>
>>214217
I certainly undestand being anon when you're in a more secretive camp, there are still really good XP places in EQ that are poorly known and worth hiding. However being anon at HGs is very silly and just wastes other people's time coming to the camp to see if it's free.
>>
Today I learned being /Anon or /Roleplay hides you from zone queries from others in other zones. Huh.
>>
are greens #s misleading when it seems like half the pop is afkbotting in EC?
>>
>>216046
I run into folks out in the wild all the time.
>>
>>189602
How differently can I build a character? Can someone make a monk that plays different than another monk?
>>
>>216357
Not super noticeably. You can focus in STA to be more thick or STR to hit harder. You could stack AGI if you want to dodge a lot, though I'm not sure how well points go into AGI. You can use a 2H weapon or dual-wield, and then go for raw damage or weapon procs, with DEX for the latter. You can choose to try and mind the 14lb weight limit for Monks or brute-force your AC with gear stats.
>>
>>216357
There are no skill trees, like in WoW where you can choose between 3 that result in a differnt player experience.

There are very versatile characters like enchanters, necro's and shamans for example, who have a big variety of spells. They can solo or group and use different techniques and spells for each situation, which makes for a different experience, you could say. Though monks can solo, I don't think the solo vs. group experience makes a difference for them: they use the same skills I think (I've never played a monk).
>>
Is this fat fuck right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4FsQnfp_TA
>>
>>217357
Thats why folks play p1999
>>
>>217357
Retail EQ these days really is a shadow of its former self. Almost an entirely different game and community.
>>
>>217357

holy fuck the absolute lack of soul or vitality in this man, it makes me feel so sad for him and this thing that he obviously once loved so deeply.
>>
>>217357
Dude was playing an MMO solo, no wonder he got bored to death. Very few people on Live servers play low level content. He didn't bother to join a guild or a chat channel for interaction. He restricted himself with F2P limitations, and wasted his time hunting shitty old gear. Looked like he was using a healer merc, when he should have used a fighter at low levels to speed things up, which he would know if he actually talked to anybody. The man killed his own love for the game.
>>
>>220026

shut up faggot
>>
>>189602
I like Shadow Knight but I know green has exp penalty. How fucked would I be if I picked an Iksar SHD over Ogre?

I'd like to play an Iksar and want a class that I can get exp party invites. I don't know how pulling works in p99 so I'd like to avoid monk.
>>
>>220754
People will not turn you away from groups; there's very, very little elitism when it comes to group composition as you're leveling up. Legitimately, play whatever you want and roll with it. Worst case scenario is if you don't like your race, you can re-roll and hand off all your belongings to your new character and you'll be starting off with a familiar class.
>>
>>214040
Nah, rogues will always have good faction since they can sneak
>>
>>>/vrpg/1173810
>>
HEY DARALON MY MOM SHE GOT ME THIS NEW GAME
>>
>>193195
First 3d mmo would be battle tech on GEnie I think? Maybe something else.
>>
Do any of you guys play live EQ anymore or is everyone on P99?
>>
>>189602
Anyone willing to play with me? Rolling Iksar Shaman or Monk. Would like a group to consistently play with for a few hours a day.
>>
>>224720
Where you playing?
>>
Been thinking about trying live/retail whatever just to check the game out, havent done so since 2004 I think. I've tried p99 a couple times but I've got zero time for that shit. The progression servers look interesting but apparently they're subscription only? Should I wait to see if a new one will come out this year? I would mostly just wanna solo, explore, quest and immerse as a lore/rp fag, maybe try to find some other likeminded people.
>>
>>225104
I did retail last week. You get thrown into a tutorial area and cannot select a city to start in now. It kind of kill my desire to play.
>>
>>224720
I rolled a dark elf necromancer on Green, if you or anyone else would be down to group up. Let me know if you do. I'm pretty much a complete noob to EverQuest and it'd be nice to group up with some people.
>>
>>224861
Green
>>225323
when you up
>>
>>225323
I too rolled a dark elf necro on green and am also a noob, we should stack up
>>
>>225424
sure thing, when are you active? also what lvl? I'm currently lvl 4, /friend Technagoria
>>
>>225668
I am level 3 and active for the next few days almost all day. once i go back to work it'll probably be overnight. Nethris
>>
>>225790
sounds good!
>>
Tried green and blue, but red is where it's at. Camps aren't crowded and the exp rate is much better. Also exciting checking /who often to know who is in zone incase of pvp. The pvp is a lot of fun too, it's quirky but fun
>>
>>227138
>playing Everquest on a server with like 7 other people
You must be posting from North Ro right now because you're an absolute madman.
>>
>>225115
Looks like you have to pay to choose the old starting cities. On the Test server (which gives you all access by default) you can choose your old starter city instead of the tutorial/crescent reach.
>>
Am I missing some something or does the version used by p1999 not have spell/effect timers? E.g., you cast a buff, there's no time/ticks remaining counter on your active effects.

Trying to get into this with some hybrids with solo'ing potential (iks sham, gnome mag, any druid), but all the jank is hard to get over.

If only p1999 was p2001... I started playing originally around the time Luclin came out, and I realize that "Classic Everquest" is basically another way of saying "I want to be that kid again" as much as anything about the game itself.

Also Jesus, looking at race/class combos makes me wonder- it makes sense Barbarians would have the three classes they have, but it just feels so barebones. Which sucks- Halas and their starting zone ooze ambience.
>>
>>228791
EQOA was my first foray into Norrath, and I always get goosebumps thinking about Halas, the music, the overall feeling of the norrth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWUMRouJpkw

Really fucking sucks that eqoa is likely lost to history forever.
>>
>>228791
Aaaaand I'm over it. Way I remember it, you would lose your items on death if your character was over level 10 or 5 or something. Here, any level = sucks to be you. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>229060
Filtered.
>>
>>229062
EQ as an MMO is filtered when it comes to relevance.
>>
>>229076
I'm sorry the game was difficult for you :(
>>
>>229082
Artificial difficulty through extensive grind isn't difficulty.
t. someone who was level 65 back in the PoP days and stopped playing by end of GoD.
>>
>>229085
I'm sorry you had a tough time and rage quit because you remembered EQ having auto maps, lesser XP penalties and PoK books :(
t. someone who was level 70 back in the day and quit by the end of DoN
>>
>>228814
God I miss EQOA

>>227521
Might try out p99 this weekend then. Didn't really want to got through all the work to get it up and running but I still have the itch to play.
>>
>>229089
>I'm sorry you had a tough time and rage quit because you remembered EQ having auto maps, lesser XP penalties and PoK books :(
Played since SoV, so sorry chump
>>
>>207239
What exactly did he say that was retarded?
>>
>>229193
>played in the velious era and is offended by grind
>played in the velious era and is flustered by death being an appreciable inconvenience
Did you have a stroke recently and just forget that you previously spent like four years grinding in this game when you were younger?
>>
>>193529
oh its their jaw clacking. i never could figure out what the fuck that noise was supposed to be
>>
what classes are fun? i played an iksar SK during PoP but never got very high. might make a human and jump into leaf quartet
>>
>>229255
What role do you want to play? Monk, necromancer, bard and enchanter are pretty safe "fun" picks.
>>
>>229257
I dunno, SK was alright but limited. Tanking is fun but I'm wondering if something like Wizard or a healer is fun
>>
>>229235
I was able to tolerate it back then because a) I was a teen and didn't have a wife and kids b) because EQ1 was one of the very few MMO's on the market and so it had a novelty aspect to it. Stopped being relevant by mid 2000's.
>is flustered by death being an appreciable inconvenience
I never said that, you're mistaking me with someone else.
>>
Am I just too zoomer to enjoy this game? I dinged to level 23 and while I do love the locations and general soul of the game, I can't just seem to enjoy the levelling process even with a group.
>>
>>232102
Are you talking about Live, TLP or p99 (or some other p server?)
>>
>>232386
P99.
>>
Anyone else celebrating the death of Squeal Team and their blackface alt guild? Been drinking their delicious tears in the forums for a couple days now. It's about fucking time they got put in their place. Perfect time to play on Green now that they're out of the picture
>>
>>232102
Honestly I've felt the same way with a lot of old MMOs I've tried. FFXI, P99, COH. The games themselves ooze soul and are so refreshing compared to the 99 million WoW clones that are MMOs of today, but after a certain point I just can't deal with the kind of dull grind. I actually like how slow it is at times, because you get to talk to your group. Socializing in an MMO, imagine that! But when I realize it's going to be the same pace for however many hundreds of hours it kind of sucks the drive out of me, and any time I have to solo makes me want to an hero.
>>
>>234125
What happened now? I don't usually read the forums.
>>
>>234247
Seal team and DMO being homofaggots like usual and getting raid bans. It's really nothing that spectacular.
>>
>>234257
>the usual
Good. I'm surprised people put up with their shit for this long without doing something like this.
>>
>>189602
Actually my bro’s and I played EQ starting right after Beta (my brother was in Beta). Right up until 2006. A couple years ago we got back into it... but we’re all married and have like kids and stuff. Playlist of our good times.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCt2t8JZZNxOcu1guff2WsLlGIXMBuMIf
>>
I wanted to give this a shot, if I start on green will there be other newfags anywhere? Where should I start if I want to actually find and group with people?
>>
>>235046
You'll find people everywhere so just make whatever you want. Keep us updated here and I'm sure someone can help you out if you need it.
>>
>make a gnome wizard
>stumble around and find tobon, give him the letter
>first thing I do is walk off the cliff outside of the guild and die
oh no
>>
I know some of you weenies must be in raiding guilds on Green. Is the raid scene as utterly shit as it looks on the outside?
>>
>>236097
Yes, it’s cancer.
>>
I can't choose between Enchanter, Magician, Cleric or Wizard. The furthest I've gotten in this game is an enchanter to 4 so far.
>>
any private servers that aren't P1999 worth trying out?
I wouldn't mind one with a 2x xp boost or something
>>
I'm heavily debating playing, but will I lose my life to this?
>>
>>236097
Raid scene was absolute trash before, but with the "top" guild raid banned at least until Velious, the remaining guilds are actually working together and rotating content. It's a lot better (read: more accessible) now thanks to that

>>236665
The problem with most other private servers is multi boxing. You might find a server with similar numbers online to p1999, but everyone is actually botting a full group and "soloing" so there's no collaboration or interaction with others. Kinda pointless.

>>236772
You very easily could but that's all on you. It's definitely a game that rewards spending shit tons of time on.
>>
>>236592
>Enchanter
Highest skill cap but can be an absolute God in both solo and group play.
>Magician
Easy to play. Great dps and a fair amount of utility for groups. Beware though that if you're into raiding you'll basically just be a stick bitch except for sending your pet.
>Cleric
Pretty much necessary in groups and raids so you'll always be able to find a place. Can also make easy money rezzing... Though most won't want your lower tier rezzes so thats only at level 56+. Soloing is possible but only really viable with undead mobs.
>Wizard
Like a shitty magician except you can port. No seriously wizards really get the shaft in the classic timeline. That said they are still fun to play and the most convenient to play since you can basically fast travel to find camps/groups
>>
>>236804
Man, you're just making it even harder. I guess I'll just keep going with enchanter for now, I do really like the idea of managing crowd control and having nice buffs/debuffs. Eventually. I'm probably never going to touch a raid, but who knows.
>>
>>237006
Enchanters really shine in the right group, once they get their base spell set together. Raids not so much I suspect, never did that myself.
>>
dwarf paladin or dwarf cleric?
I just want to smite undead as a midget
>>
Can someone help me set up project1999? https://nevergrind.com/blog/everquest-titanium-download/

This guys says I needed to have already purchased the game. Not sure what he means he's pretty vague on the installation instructions.
>>
>>237233
Because they're not allowed to outright say "go download the game ISOs", but in the link you gave they have a google link to download them. Mount them with DaemonTools or something and install normally. After that you drag the P1999 files in over the installation files and run the Launch Titanium.bat.
>>
>>237273
Sounds good. Got it installed. Got it working. Is there a way to fix the resolution?

Any tips on an Enchanter build?
>>
>>237298
Alt+O for options in game, but I'm as new as you are so good luck with that shit.
>>
Trying to set up the client. What is a good UI to use? How does one interact with other npc's?
>>
>>237340
>other NPCs
you just outed yourself zombie man
>>
>>237342
What? This game is heavy on text commands something that I am not a fan of. Especially when it does not teach you or give you a tutorial. How do I log out? Do I just close the client? I don't even know where my starting location is, and I don't even know how I am supposed to "get started."
>>
>>237348
I think he was saying you called yourself an NPC.

For NPC interactions
>rightclick to open a shop if they have it, or training
>H button to HAIL, get them to talk if they talk
>drop item from inventory onto NPC to give to them
>>
>>237355
Just found out that my character can't swim. Really off to a great start here.
>>
>>237348
The original game had a demo you could play with a small tutorial, which was eventually replaced with an even more extensive one. Unfortunately neither of those are available nowadays really. There's a lot of good information on the wiki though... https://wiki.project1999.com/Newbie_Guide

ngl tho the learning curve for EQ is pretty high as it doesn't really hold your hand with this kinda stuff. You'll have a much better time if you either play with friends or read up on it first.
>>
is Everquest 2 worth trying out?
whether it's a private server or live
>>
>>237298
>Any tips on an Enchanter build?
This is what you need to read
http://wiki.project1999.com/Enchanter

Stat allocation is your first worry, and choice of deity.
>>
>>237214
I think both are fine options, Dwarf Paladin is a solid choice. I think both can solo undead, but soloing won't be as viable as a necro or druid can, for example. You'll probably spend more time in a group, meaning you'll be doing more healing as a cleric and doing more clobbering enemies over the head as a pally. The latter is more inline with "smiting", if you want to. Plenty of undead dungeons to go to in either case. Pallies still have an experience penalty, read these for more details:
>http://wiki.project1999.com/Cleric
>http://wiki.project1999.com/Paladin
>>
>>237494
It depends on what you are after. EQ2 is closer to WoW than it is to EQ in gameplay.
There is no private server for EQ2 and in general it has a fraction of the population EQ1 has. You're gonna level till max alone unless you know people who want to level with you.
>>
>>237298
The only real tip you need for an enchanter is to always pick agnostic as your deity choice. The rest will come to you after a bunch of trial and error and then complaining here so people can tell you what to do better.
>>
decided to try out Iksar and I absolutely hate it
struggling so hard to navigate this city, it's huge so it takes forever to get anywhere and also has like 4 exits that all look the same
>>
>>237984
Iksar is an awesome race to be though. Your starting city really doesn't matter that much in the long run, while your natural regen + AC are forever. They also have some of the best lore in the game (or really, any MMO)

Once you level up a bit in Field of Bone + Lake of Ill Omen, enough to get your Invis spell (or Gather Shadows) you can easily make the trek to one of the boats and get to a more populated easy area. Although honestly FOB + Kurns is one of the best starting areas in the game in terms of mob level distribution and path to level up.
>>
File: LOLth.jpg (240 KB, 1024x768)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>soloing near the entrance in crushbone pathetically while waiting for a group to maybe need another
>mfw every 3-4 minutes there's another conga line of orcs chasing someone out the door
>>
>>237494
It's a good game for what it is; more so if you're into EQ. The population is probably half, but there's still people. I posted on Reddit asking about it recently and some folks got back saying the prog server has people who level - but it's true on the live server you'll likely be alone up to max level.
>>
>>237984
lmao imagine hating being an iksar
>>
>why am I moving so slow? my bags are empty
>turns out those hundreds of coins in your pocket weigh something
>mfw
>>
How do racial illusions work? I just got illusion: dark elf. So casting it around home (Felwithe), I noticed the guards eyed me apprehensively. Is that as low as they'll go or will I get ganked if I brush up against an NPC whose faction didn't go up from killing orcs all day? I just wanna know if it's safe running around the woods like that for Ultravision.
>>
>>238858
Off the top of my head, you want to be careful around the banker in Kelethin and those stupid fairies in Greater Faydark might attack you.
>>
MUH SEAL TEAM MUH CAMP MUH UP FOR 36 HOURS PLZ MANASTONE

Turbo autisim game
>>
>>189602
>Green
Is the Red server dead still?
>>
>>238863
Sorry you didn't get a manastone, brah.
>>
>>238863
GET YOUR SKILL AT BEGGING
UP TO 10
>>
>>238863
>kicking back on my shaman
>taking the game at my own pace
>having a blast and earning xp
*sip* I guess people like you must be really mad that they can't figure out how to enjoy a game like an adult instead of grinding mindlessly like a third world monkey.
>>
>>238863
t seal team member raid banned until the end of the server's practical lifespan lmao
>>
the fact that an npc can just eat your quest item is terrible
was gonna do that iksar quest for collecting signatures but the second guy took the notice without saying anything and now I have to start over if I want to continue the quest
>>
>>238858
You can go lower from apprehensive to dubiously. I never feel comfortable around that faction that low, though apprehensive is still OK. But beware that the NPCs are on different faction tables, guards may be apprehensive, other NPCs such as the banker may differ, like the other anon said.
>>
>>238860
>>238960
Fug, that's what I was worried about. I'll try it out but I had just dinged and didn't want a random merchant to slap the level out of my mouth. Thanks.
>>
>>189602
How are the prog servers going? Been thinking about subbing to play the prog servers on EQ1 and EQ2

Do they have healthy populations?
>>
>>238865
I started up an iksar necro on red the other day. Instantly had 3 guilds reaching out to me trying to recruit me. They're desperate for new blood. Only about 50ish players online at any given time but /ooc is global so it still feels populated. All the camps are pretty much open. There are raid guilds but they require level 55+ and mandatory raid attendance. I soloed up to level 8 in a few hours and only ran into 2 other players in my level range, both of whom didn't PVP me, but also didn't want to group up despite the xp bonus.
>>
That said, if anyone else wants to roll noobs on Red and play together, i'm down.
>>
>>239438
>>239443
I very much appreciate the invite, but with the population of red... I'm sorry I dont wanna get invested in a server thats basically dead
>>
Where should I go to level at 14-16? I was at Crushbone until 14, seemed like I could take it further and was decent money for my noobness...A friend suggested I go to Oasis of Marr and grouping there seemed cool but much more painful and less people.
>>
>>239789
What class/race are you playing?
>>
>>239820
High elf enchanter, sorry.
>>
>>239789
Befallen 2nd floor is pretty good around that level. 3rd floor if you can get a group together.

If you're willing to travel, Kurns Tower is the best xp possible for that range and usually has other people you could group up with.
>>
no wonder mana regen was taking forever, you didn't need to do this on blue but I guess you do on green
I'm not too fond of how strictly they're sticking to classic era
this has no effect on gameplay and is just a tedious thing you need to do every time you sit can't even be bound to a hotkey because they disabled the /meditate command as well
>>
>>239997
>I'm not too fond of how strictly they're sticking to classic era
Honestly you'd be better off doing one of the EQ prog servers then
>>
>>239898
>>239820
I did stick with the desert and damn, it got packed at points. But I ended up making it almost to 19 so far. Breeze and Quickness have been pretty cool, feels nice to be useful.
>>
a fresh pvp server would be great
>>
>>240928
Yeah everyone seems to want one but the powers that be don't seem keen on making it happen unfortunately.
>>
>>240934
I don't blame them honestly. There's like 50-100 people on red which is already pretty dire, would you want to possibly split that even more?
>>
>>189602
If needed I can invite to Leaf Quartett if people are interested in playing on Green.
>>
>>189602
>>241364
Actually meant to say Fallen Leaves.
>>
>>239164
Aradune released Luclin like 2 or 3 weeks ago I think. Based off of server status indicators, Aradune is always at High pop and is likely the most active EQ server anywhere, retail or private. A ton of guilds post on the DBG forums for Aradune recruitment. Mangler and Rizlona are usually high pop but those might be from multiboxing numbers. The other prog servers I think have fallen off a cliff. I can't speak for EQ2's prog server but it seems to be the highest pop option there.

I'd love to get in on a new prog server myself. Thought about joining Aradune but I really don't want to join in when Luclin of all things just released, though it seems still like a time to join. I've been messing around with a few characters on Firiona Vie and EMarr for a little while but nothing serious.
>>
>cast minor illusion
>turn into a chair
>deviantart intensifies
>>
>>241300
That logic doesn't apply to a fresh pvp server. People aren't playing because it's been in velious for years and years. That's fine for a pve server, but not good for a pvp server
>>
>>241300
>>241656
Yeah, this. If red were rebooted there would be a lot more people willing to try it out with a fresh start. When a PVP server goes too long without a wipe, the strongest / long-time players have no real competition and it discourages new players from joining. I know lots of people on Green who are upset with the current server population & frequent rules lawyering and would love to play Red if it were a fresh start for all. The burden on the GMs would also likely be less, as the rules there are basically to solve most disputes with PVP.
>>
>>239789
Befallen until lv20 or so.
>>
Just a reminder that real niggas hunt in The Overthere.
>>
>>241685
Isn't the xp rating really low?
>>
>>241692
>xp rating
Shut up nerd.
>>
>>241693
But I like to level up... and I'm sick of Overthere, I've had enough grinding in it during retail.
>>
Peggycloak changed my life.
>>
>>237990
I'm seriously tempted to give my ring of the dead to my iksar alt for whenever I'd manage to have good faction with the dark elf necros.
>>
File: 20210223_065921.jpg (2.25 MB, 2448x2188)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>189602
Test
>>
So does anyone play Green in the thread? I'm able to invite and add officers (we had the good idea to have 2 leaders for the guild this time around) in the Fallen Leaves guild if needed.
>>
>>241825
I'm playing there. Taking a damn boat across the ocean of tears right now! I was looking for leaves earlier but never saw anyone on.
>>
>>241881
I'm not that online myself since mostly everyone quit. I was one of the 2 guild leaders so I can technically invite people and add officers as needed.
>>
>>241685
based
>>
I'm playing on Green occasionally but mostly only login to raid. Have three 50+ characters in a raid guild at this point and no real motivation to max them out at 60. I have an alt or two around level 20 if anyone's leveling in that range.
>>
>>241995
Well I just hit 20, and I dunno what I'm doing. So if you wanna group sometime that'd be cool.
>>
https://youtu.be/tCP2yRUj3to
>>
>>242124
I'm 35 or so, so we're a bit too far off.
>>
>>237494
>is Everquest 2 worth trying out?
I played EQ2 from 2004-2014 off and on. It was a great game and really peaked in 2007-2009. After that, it was starting to decline in quality since much of the team was taken off for other projects (see: cancelled EQNext) thus expansions felt more shallow and lacked what EoF and RoK (3rd and 4th expansion) had to offer. Stopped completely however after hearing SoE was sold and became DBG in early 2015 since I knew that would spell trouble. I haven't a clue what the current game plays like, but from what I was told many unwanted features have been included since 2015. Other than that, a greatly underappreciated game that unfortuntely came out a bit too early (should've stayed in the oven until 2006) since SoE was so dire to compete against Blizzard's WoW.
>>237571
>EQ2 is closer to WoW than it is to EQ in gameplay.
EQ2 came out two weeks prior to WoW. The core gameplay is not the same. The only major change they did with EQ2 overtime was make leveling to endgame easier, though that was out of pure necessity since finding people below endgame even in 2006-07 could be a bitch unless you were in a guild since SoE had so many servers yet couldn't combine them due to the games performance issues.
>>
>>242854
>EQ2 came out two weeks prior to WoW
I know. I bought it and my current PC couldn't run it at all.
>The core gameplay is not the same.
I didn't say it was. I said EQ2 is closer in gameplay to WoW than it is to EQ1, which it is. EQ1 is pretty damn unique in gameplay.
>>
>>243133
I remember the days when I finally bought EQ2 with birthday/christmas/lawn mowing money I'd saved up. I could barely contain my excitement while installing it. I was literally staring at the CD cover art and reading the manual the entire time. When it finally came time to play it, my PC turned out to be so shit I couldn't run it. I cried.
>>
>>242854
I remember trying EQ2 after WoW (a long time after WoW) and being very confused at how it worked...But I could be a fairy monk so that was sweet. I went back a lot more recently and it was much more WoW-ish, which I thought was kind of disappointing, since the majority of MMOs are now. That said, when I went to try live EQ, it was also way more WoW-ish, so hey at least they're consistent. And I feel you on Daybreak...I really liked LOTRO and DDO too once upon a time, and haven't tried either since they took over. It felt like that was a sure sign they were living on borrowed time.

Back to EQ2, I think it's very interesting to see how multiple games jumping off from the same game take so many different approaches. EQ2, FFXI and WoW are all undeniably cut from the EQ cloth but they all take such dramatically different routes.
>>
wish i could go back to middle of kunark era blue. damn those were some fun times.
>>
>>243338
Green is at kurnak now. Finding groups is really hard now though.
>>
File: eqoatest01.png (2.27 MB, 1920x1080)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=EADVRg8bcRE

Guess there's some headway on the eqoa p.server/revival project.
>>
File: eqoatest02.png (2.23 MB, 1920x1080)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB PNG
>>243353
No idea what you can do so far but from what I remember the project had tons of growing pains

just being able to run around in ps2 norrath is nuts
>>
>>243355
BOOBA
>>
>>243355
>>243353
I'm really hoping an EQOA server comes out; EQ is one of my favorite franchises but I never got to play it
>>
>>244203
Same here. Would love to try EQOA as a fresh take on EQ that I've never experienced before. It's a shame that the franchise is essentially dead. I really enjoyed even the spin off games like Champions of Norrath.
>>
>>244846
I wouldn't say its dead - eq still made like 11 mill and eq2 6 mill - both just had new expansions

Pantheon is really the spiritual successor; looks closer to eq than eqnext did
>>
How does training work? I want to research some spells, but I have no level in it. Rather than fail I figure I'd just train research some, but do you have a limited number of paid levels? And is there a best way to spend them? Should I pick up a point in all the languages? I got no idea.
>>
>>245609
For Crafting you can only raise them up to 21. Other skills can be raised to their maximum but will start costing you an escalating amount of coin. Research is one of the latter. I think it took nearly 2k to max my research on wizard.
>>
>>245609
You only get limited training points each level so if you're going for research, you're kind of dedicating all of them to it and won't be able to spend on anything else. At this point the researched spells are much more abundant and affordable than they were in the classic only era, so it may be cheaper to buy the spells you need (or get them from a friend/guild)
>>
>>245760
>>245768
Alright, thank you. I guess I'll try buying them first.
>>
>>189761
>freaking out over fippy
Dorn is the real badass to watch out for if youre a noob.
>>
>>193195
>Looking back, personally, I'm not a big fan of Planes of Power and how it diminished world travel by trivializing it with books.
indeed. i remember starting on live and hiking a few times my lvl 1 from qeynos to freeport or vice versa because there was no one lvling around qeynos/bb really. then it became point and click and boom youre in the dungeon. really took the adventure and sight seeing and immersion out of it.
>>
>>193529
takes me back.
>>
>>201568
its a damn shame, they had much potential but couldnt shine anywhere without stepping on rog war or dru toes.
>>
>>228814
always wanted to try this out. i cant believe no one has made a free server for it.
>>
can people still use bards to kite entire zones in p99?
>>
>>232102
need to hit up guides and other players for options of where people go and where you should be leveling.

IIRC i got my main ench to like 45 or 46 before i ran into this problem. once i hit the high end it seemed like it became a good ole boys club as it all of a sudden became IMPOSSIBLE for me to find a group and reliably level. iirc i camped the fuck out of solb and undead spot in kunark(in EJ maybe?).
>>
File: gnome.png (1.05 MB, 1023x787)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
Look at this absolute unit.
>>
>>245907
FP is such a shitty camp.
>>
Ping me here or in-game if you want an invite to Fallen Leaves.
>>
>>246162
What's a better place? I'm level 27 almost 28, and want to get 29 today. I was probably going to try to go back there all day.
>>
>>246274
Probably high keep now
>>
>>246278
Thanks! I got a group there and ate all through like two levels. Pretty awesome.
>>
>>246516
Good shit, my man. Stay loyal to that grind.
>>
>>246217
I'll be online for the 10 or so next hours. Just /who Fallen and MP if you want an invite. I'll be adding people as officers to help invite as needed since the thread is slow and I'm on EU timezone myself.
>>
File: 1614532326609.png (578 KB, 600x911)
578 KB
578 KB PNG
>get introduced to concept of wait lists for camps for the first time
>>
File: 1573834097886.gif (3.52 MB, 334x194)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB GIF
>>247021
>>
File: smug.png (518 KB, 677x529)
518 KB
518 KB PNG
>>247021
>mfw no lists because I play on red
>>
File: 1606300838519.png (75 KB, 500x500)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>247174
>plays red
>uses a picture of Monika, the girl who tries to trap another person all alone with her in a virtual world
>>
File: meme.png (284 KB, 425x317)
284 KB
284 KB PNG
>>245907
I've never seen this spawn at FP the fuck?
>>
>>243339
>Watching my dad get a full group two days in a row on his Enchanter just recently

???

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.