[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1582954435812.png (30 KB, 932x229)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
What do you think of them?
>>
>"Dude, just play the game" Achievements
Generally worthless and meaningless, their only value is to determine a percentage for how many people on a given platform are shitters who can't even beat the fucking tutorial.
>Do hard stuff Achievements
Good, a great way to track important stuff.
>Do X a shitload of times
Worthless.
>Do X except it's time-limited or requires you to play with the dev (and there's no alternative)
Fucking cancer.
>>
>>166573
i was addicted to achievements more than crack but now achievements suck ass any you get them in 10 seconds
>>
Couldn't care less
>>
>>166573
So long as an achievement is open ended, it's fine. So every time you clear an achievement, the count goes up by one.

eg/
>Engineer to Eternity: Kill an Engineer as he repairs his sentry gun while it's under enemy fire.

Every time you kill such an Engie, your Engineer to Eternity achievement levels up by 1.
>>
>>166573
nu-achievements suck ass, they are either just easy progress or some convoluted shit you can just cheese anyways.

Multiplayer-centered cheevos are fine despite been playerbase dependant. If the game was good and the achievements worth getting the game wouldn't be dead anyways.
I rather challenge myself with my own "achievements" like beating Ocarina of Time without tunics or beating an action game without gearing up.
>>
>>166573
Worthless.
>>
>>166578
by "shitter" you mean "game journalist"
>>
>>169024
>30% of a game's total owners are games journalists
Doubt, but good joke, Anon.
>>
File: 1583116342440.jpg (9 KB, 250x180)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>beat the entire game without ever dying
>beat the entire game within this time limit

if you're a dev and you put these cheevos in your game, unironically consider suicide
>>
>>166578
>their only value is to determine a percentage for how many people on a given platform are shitters who can't even beat the fucking tutorial
pretty sure this stat is polluted by people who buy the game and dont play it or they're bots who just trade the game without playing it.
>>
>>166573
I have a troopher addiction. Been so since 2005 with Xbox 360. It's definitely a love or hate of an idea that came out of Microsoft no less when it comes to profile achievements. It all comes down to how the achievements are done. I'm playing Halo MCC atm, and the achievements in that game are actually pretty damn sane and enjoyable to do. Only ones I do not care for are "Get 100 splatter/explosive kills in H2A" I mean, I get that H2A's MP was the crowning new feature for Halo in 2014, but due to the limited number of maps and the fact that the game came out in 2019 on the PC, it's taken a backseat to Reach and 3.
>>
>>166591
>nu-achievements suck ass
What's that even suppose to mean. Do you remember the Xbox 360 launch lineup? Half the games people would rent/buy like King Kong were bought because it was an easy 1000g for just completing the game compared to Perfect Dark Zeros "Kill 10k players in a game that will be dead in 6 months" for 30g
>>
>>169024
This is Half-Life 2's global achievement stats. 34% of them never completed past the 1st chapter.
>>
File: Capture.png (138 KB, 930x640)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>169259
>>
File: Pick_up_that_can.webm (2.37 MB, 1280x720)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB WEBM
>>169261
42.6% Submissive
>They picked up the can
>>
>>169261
These kinds of stats are shit to go by. The percentage is calculated from the total amount of owners. It's a better assumption that a majority of Half Life owners just simply haven't played it. Given that it came in a bundle with one of the most popular games on Steam really just drives the point home.
>>
File: 2496573-360.png (101 KB, 430x241)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>caring about achievements
>>
i dont even pay attention to achievements but i'm in my 30s
>>
>>166573
If they are not too grindy and I enjoy the game they are attached to, I tend to go for them
>>
>>169542
Someone is going to call you a "boomer" soon
>>
>>170945
>>169542
More like based. Caring about achievements is retarded. I had a period in my life where I wouldn't play some games because I'd see the achievements and think it could be too hard or just impossible (like those L4D event-locked achievements) and ended up missing up on good times.
>>
File: 1574821383251.png (98 KB, 847x486)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
I'm generally fine with them if they don't require you to actually go out of your way to make other people waste time / do some dumb shit that only you benefit from.
Even RS2 with its 100+ achievements is fine, as you can unlock most of them by simply playing the game, but it does have some of the most obscure and unattainable shit that makes you wonder if the devs ever bothered to actually play the fucking game they clearly didn't
>>
>>166573
the only achievements that matter are on the console because you can just manually unlock steam achievements.
>>
>>171060
I get what your saying anon, but seriously
>Achievements/Trophies
>Mattering
Just enjoy the game

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.