[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vip/ - Very Important Posts

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: splatterhouse.jpg (1.51 MB, 1280x1024)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
Continuing on from >>93796 (which will probably disappear in not that long time, maybe some website archives /vip/, I don't really know, and I don't really care). Starting out, this gnarly art depicting the violent arcade beat-em-up Splatterhouse, because I think it's cool as fuck still.
>>
File: 35103593.jpg (572 KB, 848x1200)
572 KB
572 KB JPG
I'll be using this thread for two things primarily:
1) Development. I like to mod and map for Doom, I like the game a lot, and I like making things for the game a lot as well.
I make levels, I make graphics (mostly by cutting and pasting, or 'Frankenspriting'), and I write code. I have a number of projects that I'm working on and involved with, I may post WIP images, and possibly .webm's if I figure out how to record footage. I am unlikely to post any WIP builds of anything, but I will post links to public releases.

2) Just stuff that I think is cool, interesting, cute, etc. Like the last thread, I may post an image of some cool or interesting gun, some cute girl, some weeb shit, some sick piece of fanart or promotional art, etc. I may do this just to bump the thread if there's long period of inactivity, I may also do this just because I found something that I really like and I want to just write about it.
>>
To start out with, here's a few screenshots of some levels in progress. Pic related isn't much yet, but it'll become something eventually.

The screenshot is in GzDoom, but the level is in Boom format, and I always make sure to test my levels in both GzDoom and PrBoom+ to make sure they function and look good in both.
>>
>>
>>
File: fortyfiiiiiive2.gif (93 KB, 300x360)
93 KB
93 KB GIF
A sprite set I made. This is a 1911 pistol, which I made by painting over the frames for FreeDoom's pistol sprites, and placing them on the original Doom hands. The muzzle flashes are based on muzzleflash graphics from Shadow Warrior.
>>
File: 1911 36.png (119 KB, 530x420)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
The frames for the 1911 pistol, including frames for a silencer, using with one hand, and handless (if one wants to use their own set of hands), as well as pickup sprites, which were painted over some ancient stock photo. There's frames without muzzle flashes if one wants to use their own (or none), and there's a separate set for with the silencer, the muzzle flashes are quite exaggerated, but that suits Doom.

These sprites are free for anyone to use in any *non-commercial* project, as long as it's appropriately attributed. Credits include:
>iD Software
>3D Realms
>The FreeDoom Team
>ChopBlock223
>>
A double-action revolver. These sprites are based on the revolver sprites from Powerslave (also known as Exhumed in some markets). I used an edited set by a guy named Mike12 (also known as the H-Doom guy) as a basis. Muzzle flashes are just the same as the 1911, from Shadow Warrior originally.

The pickup sprite is made by cutting and pasting some shapes from generic stock photos, turning it into a solid black stencil, then drawing in all the detail.
>>
File: combat magnum 357.png (126 KB, 480x500)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
The frames for the revolver. Includes some crude frames for reloading, I would suggest to try to hide these down outside the view of the player, just at the bottom edge of the screen, and just kind of insinuate the necessary movement with the frames available. There are not enough workable Doom hand sprites for me to bother trying to do a fully featured reload animation, so I won't, besides that, the truly tactical way to reload would be to keep your eyes forward scanning for further targets while barely looking at the gun as you reload it.

Credits:
>iD Software
>3D Realms
>Lobotomy Software
>Mike12
>ChopBlock223
Same permission applies for non-commercial use, just leave credits somewhere in the ReadMe or something, don't need to ask or anything. Feel free to modify these sprites for whatever purposes you want to, as well.
>>
File: Zero Tolerance.gif (1.93 MB, 320x224)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
Title/logo from Zero Tolerance, a really inventive first person shooter on the Sega Genesis, which in spite of the limitations of the hardware, makes truly phenomenal use out of what's available to it. There's some truly fantastic attention to detail, and the game even supports multiplayer with the use of a link-cable, as well as two copies of the game, two consoles, two controllers, and two TVs.

For a corridor shooter akin to Wolfenstein 3D, you'd be quite surprised at some of the tricks the game has up its sleeves.
>>
Here's a little quirk of Federal Laws on firearms in the United States. The 1934 National Firearms Act states that a shotgun with a barrel shorted down to shorter than 18" or an overall length shorter than 26" is a 'Short Barreled Shotgun' and subject to a $200 tax and registration (which was an absolute shitload of money in 1934, mind), creating one without first having your tax stamp ready, or being something like a Type 07 Special Occupation Taxpayer, is a crime that can lead up to 10 years in jail.

Here's a variant of the Mossberg 500, sometimes referred to as a 'Shockwave'
As you can see, it's quite short, yet it's not subject to the NFA, why is this? Mossberg manufactured this gun, and did not declare it to be Shotgun, which it isn't because it lacks a stock, and it's not an Any Other Weapon, the category which things like Smoothbore Pistols tends to get lumped into, and some short shotguns, because it's over 26" in total length.
It never had a stock from the factory, so it's not a Shotgun or Short Barreled Shotgun, it's too long to be considered a Smoothbore Pistol, so the Bureau Of Alcohol Tobacco, Firerms & Explosives, BATFE, or ATF for short (their older acronym), have written themselves into a corner and just refers to guns like these as "Firearms." Legally speaking, a "Firearm" in this context is a category of guns which aren't rifles, pistols, or shotguns, and also doesn't get into any of the subjects restricted by the NFA.

If you took a regular Mossberg 500 and then cut down the stock and barrel to this length, that would be illegal without the relevant paperwork and taxes, but if Mossberg puts it together like this at the factory, and it never had a shoulder stock attached, it gets to be in this goofy little gray area. If you put a stock on it, that's not ok legally, nor is it okay to put a regular pistolgrip on it unless you somehow make the gun overall 26" long.
>>
File: shockwave brace.jpg (264 KB, 3000x1500)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
You know what could let you use a pistolgrip without making a 'Shockwave' style of shotgun too short? An 'arm brace.'

The arm brace is a part which is intended to strap the form of your dominant arm to an extension on the rear of the gun, so that you can more easily fire a large handgun one-handed. This is completely legal, and the pretext is that it would allow disabled people, such as veterans lacking a second hand/arm, to fire bigger handguns. What these things can also be used as is stocks, and as long as you don't modify the brace to make it more stock-like (such as by putting on a recoil pad or something), this is 100% legal to do.

Buying something like an AR15 pistol, or AK pistol, and putting a stock on it, would mean that you're creating a Short-Barreled Rifle (as the barrel is shorter than 16"), but a brace is not a stock, legally, thus you can do this and it's fine. The same applies for these 'Shockwave' style shotguns, the brace is not a stock, and the overall length is 26", so the shotgun remains a 'Firearm.'
>>
Here's a Freedom Arms Model 83, this one is chambered for .500 Wyoming Express, a cartridge of Freedom Arms' own design, being one of many high powered .50 caliber revolver cartridges. It's actually a 'belted' cartridge case as well, meaning there's a pronounced ridge above the extractor groove, for more secure headspacing, or rather, that was the original concept of a belted cartridge case, I feel that Freedom Arms just designed their case that way to make it look really cool and different.
A 'light' load of .500 Wyoming Express can be a 370gr projectile going at 1300fps, which is quite spicy as is, and for a heavier load, a 440gr projectile going at 1200fps.

Something Freedom Arms offers as an extra with revolvers in .500 Wyoming Express, is a separate cylinder chambered for .50 Action Express, the rebated rim cartridge most famous for the Desert Eagle (Magnum Research will also offer their own quite fine BFR revolvers in .50 Action Express on order). .50 Action Express is roughly about as powerful as .500 Wyoming Express, with a 330gr projectile doing 1500fps, a decent bit lighter projectile, a decent bit faster, but all in all both .50AE and .500WE have quite comparable footpounds (thus why I figure the belt on the latter's case is just added for coolpoints, as the former seems to headspace perfectly on the mouth of the case and with no rim at all).
If you already had something like a Desert Eagle pistol, and a bunch of .50AE ammunition and reloading supplies, I figure this extra cylinder would be quite an attractive option.
>>
File: brakkabrakkabrakka.gif (592 KB, 660x540)
592 KB
592 KB GIF
This is the subgun I made for the 2048 Units Of /vr/ weapon set. The mapset can also be played without these weapons, likewise there's a separate version coded in Decorate which has some more effects and functions (like Duke Nukem 3D-ish reloading for the pistol in exchange for a much higher rate of fire, this pistol is the 1911 I posted earlier, btw). Said Decorate set can also be loaded separately and will work with any other mapset which doesn't also replace its weapons with Decorate coded ones (so, 98% of all Doom maps ever made).

The sprite is put together from the rifles and machineguns from Doom's alpha and beta builds, the muzzleflash is from the Atari Jaguar version of Wolfenstein 3D, and the rear end-cap is from a model rip of a Carl Gustaf m/45 subgun. I do not recall who made that 3D model, and I don't recall who ripped it, regrettably, therefore I can't take full credit for these graphics (but I don't take full credits for most graphics I make). The magazine and magazine well I drew by hand, the stock is painted over one of the stocks for the previously mentioned rifles, the pickup sprite was made by bunching a bunch of parts and shapes together with Pimp My Gun, to get the right shapes, then shrunk down and repainted.

All that said, the credits would thus be:
>iD Software
>whoever made the 3D model
>whoever ripped it
>DoctorNoob
>ChopBlock223
>>
File: subgun007.png (76 KB, 500x400)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
The subgun's frames, as well as the separated parts, for whoever wants to do a reload animation for it or something. It would be firing from an open-bolt position, so the charging handle would be sitting in the middle of its travel when ready to fire, slam forward when firing, and recoil to its rearmost position afterwards.
>>
I've got this big single-action revolver that I've been meaning to add to a mod project for quite some time. There's a lot of things it needs doing, like all of the code (which could probably be made more expedient by just lifting the code from the shotgun I have and altering it as needed), and reload animations.

One thing I've been pondering is what it should be chambered for. I've considered cartridges like .45 Winchester Magnum, just for the sake of being unusual, .440 Cor-Bon and .429 Desert Eagle for the same reason, but also for power, and I also had an idea of doing something similar to the .357/.44 Bobcat Magnum I mentioned in the past, either using it straight, because it's an unusual cartridge with an exotic appearance, but I also had the idea to do a similar wildcat cartridge which is the .50 Action Express cartridge, not necked down to .44 (or 0.429), like the existing cartridges, but rather for .357 caliber, like the Bobcat Magnum, complete with the polymer sleeve over the case neck.

This would create a particularly exotic appearance, a large rebated rim cartridge with a sleeved bottleneck, and it would make a good excuse for a particularly high powered and loud gun. However, this would mean an awfully big cartridge in a revolver that isn't perhaps quite big enough to fit that, or at least not fitting six chambers. I don't want to redraw the sprites I have, because they're basically finished, and I don't want to make an oldschool-ish six-shooter a five-shooter, that's far less satisfying.

I'll have to ponder this idea further, perhaps I will just settle for the .357/.44 Bobcat Magnum itself, perhaps I'll think of something else. As the gun is currently, it's a single-action revolver, similar to a Ruger Blackhawk (modern adjustable sights and all), with a 4" or 4.5" barrel and matching length ejector-rod housing, wood grips, and a dark blued finish.
I'll repost this image here for reference, if just to keep the cartridge idea in mind.
>>
File: luger, gorgeous.png (1.15 MB, 1280x1321)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
A Luger pistol with an 'artillery' length barrel, and some very stunning and fine decorative work applied to it.
>>
File: Trench Gun 1897.jpg (3.35 MB, 3000x2668)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
The Winchester 1897 was designed by John Moses Browning, and was the first commercially successful pump-action shotgun. Operating much the same as one may expect of a modern one, with a tube magazine under the barrel and a sliding hand-guard running over said tube, for manipulating the action back and forth.

The 1897 is distinct from later designs for its short receiver, rather than housing the full travel of the bolt, it actually comes back out of the rear of the receiver (conceivably you could rap/tear your knuckle if really working the action fast, but as long as you have low grip it's not a risk), the shell elevator also tilts out the bottom of the receiver.
Pictured here is the so called 'Trench Gun' of the First World War, as employed by American forces, featuring a perforated heat-shield running over the barrel (so one would not burn themselves on a hot barrel), as well as sling swivels, and a bayonet lug to let it take the impressively long M1917 sword bayonet, because it had to be made just a little bit more badass.
This gun here is an original gun, not an older 1897 with added parts, or the much later Norinco replica (which isn't bad), it has a fair bit of wear, but is in overall decent shape, and the old 'Flaming Bomb' insignia of the old US Armed Forces' acceptance can be seen on many spots.

Though the action poking its guts out with every cycle wasn't always ideal in muddy trench war conditions, the hardened lead 00 buckshot did very well for itself, particularly given that the 1897 lacks a trigger-disconnect, meaning if you hold the trigger down while cycling it, the hammer will immediately drop as it goes into battery. Some might complain about safety, but others realized this would let you rapidly fire off salvos of shot by holding the trigger down and working the pump-slide rapidly, and at times this was exploited.

Germany complained a lot about shotguns being inhumane, which is funny coming from forces employing flamethrowers and mustard gas.
>>
File: trenchie09.png (11 KB, 194x38)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
The later clone of the 1897 Trench Gun by Norinco, as expected of most Chinese guns, has a cheaper and rougher fit and finish, but otherwise it's quite authentic, to the point that these clones, just like the originals, really don't like the more modern steel cased or aluminum cased shotgun shells (nor shells with a fully plastic case and hull combination), the extractor claw wants brass. They can also be slamfired.

Here's a pickup sprite of an 1897 Trenchgun which I made by painting over a very low resolution stock photo which had a nice and sharp outline. I haven't made a full set of first person sprites, because someone already made ones like 15 years ago, which weren't fantastic and could need reworking, but then I found out someone already reworked those (or maybe they painted new ones from scratch), and they actually look pretty fucking superb.
Only thing lacking is a version with the bayonet, and the accompanying lunge animation, which would be kickass for Doom.
>>
>>104450
Further WIP of this level, which I kind of hoped to have made some better progress on by now, particularly given that I now have a deadline in a couple of days.
The initial concept was for this level to be fast to make, and that's what I told others, and myself, about two months ago.
>>
File: MG13 7.92x57mm.jpg (291 KB, 4000x3204)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
That's a no on that deadline, but I figure I could get it done in not too much more time. Not a hard deadline anyway, just for a demonstration, though I still feel like a fuckup for not getting it done.

Here's a German MG13 machinegun from the interwar/WW2 period, famously, it was given its designation as a means to obfuscate it towards inspecting authorities of the Treaty Of Versailles. Germany was not allowed by the treaty to develop new advanced small arms such as light machineguns and submachineguns, by calling this gun the MG13 they could insinuate that it's actually an older design from 1913 and not a new development at all (it was actually devised in 1928 or 1930, probably).

It's a closed bolt, 7.92x57mm short-recoil machinegun, with a tilting locking block, feeding from a 25rd box magazine. For a gun of its kind and era, I think it's pretty neat.
>>
Speaking of the MG13, here's a Yugoslavian Zastava M76 rifle, and a WW2 Walther G43 rifle, both with modified MG13 magazines inserted. With 25rd capacity, that gives you quite a lot more firepower than the 10rd magazines typical to either of these rifles, and even the 20rd magazines of the M76. Not necessary for the kind of rifles these are, probably, but I like it.

Modifying old surplus MG13 magazines to work in various 7.92x57mm rifles is something I've seen people do a lot over the years. Guns which I've seen this done with:
>Egyptian Hakim rifles (probably the most common)
>Walther G43 rifles (less common, as these rifles are less common)
>Mauser G41 rifles (even less common)
>K98ks and M48s, etc, various Mauser 98 pattern rifles in 7.92x57mm, I guess you could quickly fill one of these magazines up by using five 5rd stripper clips in sequence
>Zastava M76s, and other Zastava 7.92x57mm AK rifles
>FAL custom built in 7.92x57mm
>FN49 in 7.92x57mm

There's probably more guns which people have done this with, potentially it's doable with the Zb.26 machinegun, and probably various guns in 7x57mm Mauser, as the cartridge dimensions are mostly the same. Possibly doable with an FG42 rifle, which may be a great advantage for one of those lucky persons who has one, as FG42 magazines are supremely rare and expensive items. Could probably also be done with the Walther G41 rifle, if you really insist on shooting it.
>>
File: Hakim Extendo.jpg (1.18 MB, 3072x2304)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
A picture of the Egyptian Hakim rifle, one with a modified MG13 magazine inserted. Shown beside it is the bayonet, as well as the original 8rd magazine the gun is designed with, and which was supposed to be left in the gun at most times, being filled up with clips or loose rounds (it being detachable was more for a convenience of maintenance and cleaning, you weren't issued a bunch of loaded magazines for these guns).

The Hakim is a licensed variant of the Swedish Ljungman Automatgevär m/42, itself chambered in the Swedish 6.5x55mm Mauser (of course), the Hakim being designed for the 7.92x57mm Mauser cartridge they were using. It uses a tilting breechblock, and operates on direct-impingement, where there's a tube tapping off gas from the bore via the gasblock, which then just plain shoves the bolt-carrier assembly backwards, a little bit like a short-stroke piston if you just eliminated the piston and let the gas shove on the carrier directly instead. Contrary to much belief, this is the only kind of action which described direct-impingement, though the later AR10 and AR15 uses a similar gas tube, the actual function is quite different and much more controlled.

You kinda get gas spraying a little all over the place with each shot, thus gradually building up carbon on the gun and on yourself, so after a day of shooting you will look like a coal miner. Being able to take the magazine off with not too much difficulty is definitely a nice feature for a gun that gets itself pretty dirty like this one does.
>>
File: 1309229282234.jpg (1.16 MB, 2145x3202)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
Theatrical poster for Army Of Darkness. I don't think Bruce Campbell was ever quite *this* buff, but it otherwise captures his face very well. I love the shadow and color in this painting, and details like the little evil mirror clones by his feet.

Army Of Darkness is one of those films which I'll not watch for a long while, and I get this recurring notion to myself that "It's a pretty good movie, but it's not like it's absolutely fantastic or anything." until I give it a rewatch and get reminded that, oh yeah, it's actually extremely fun and satisfying movie that makes me grin ear to ear. I'm more conscious of this now, so I kind of remind myself of this whenever I think of it, but I still find myself pleasantly surprised giving it a rewatch.

I much prefer the S-Mart ending to the post-apocalyptic one, as it's far more heroic and grandiose. The post-apocalyptic ending may have been intended to be a segway to a sequel with Ash fighting deadites in a futuristic wasteland, which could have been quite great, but since that's not a film (or other work) which was ever made, I'm quite content with the S-Mart ending.
>>
File: 1312600569857.jpg (625 KB, 974x1496)
625 KB
625 KB JPG
A different poster (though the line of undead knights on horses seems like it's the same as on the other poster). This one depicts Ash, and in extension Bruce Campbell, as even more ripped.
I like the color contrast here a lot, and the detailed depiction of the mutilated and decomposed Evil Ash.
>>
File: hex date.jpg (1.07 MB, 1116x1579)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
This image is stupidly cute and adorable.
>>
File: Yugo AK Modernized.jpg (508 KB, 1632x918)
508 KB
508 KB JPG
A Yugoslavian AK with some modern parts, a pistolgrip and set of handguards by Hogue, an FAL/Galil style skeleton folding-stock by ACE, and a plastic magazine, by Tapco.

The other parts are good and by reputable makers, but Tapco has always had a stigma to it, one that's not unjustified, a lot of really low quality crap was put out under that brand, though some products of theirs were decent/good-ish, like their G2 trigger set, which would eliminate bolt-slap from some AKs which had that (ergo the trigger resets so hard when recocked that you can feel it as a stiff smack into your trigger finger). Their magazines also seemed to have been decent sometimes, I've heard of people with AKs and Mini-14s say that their plastic magazines are ok, but also heard a lot say their AK mags were trash in their experience. Seems like it may depend on the individual gun in question.

With Remington's bankruptcy sale a while ago, they sold off the Tapco brand to someone else, and who knows if that's ever coming back.This was also the bankruptcy sale where Ruger bought the Marlin brand and IPs from them, apparently for as little as $27 Million.
With a nicer plastic magazine, like a Bakelite, or a Bulgarian waffle pattern magazine, I think pic related would be a pretty cool setup.
>>
This is the actual shotgun which was digitized and used for Duke Nukem 3D, sometimes incorrectly identified as a Mossberg 590 Cruiser, it is in fact a Winchester 1300 Defender with a factory pistolgrip. The shotgun belongs to George Broussard, and he bought it used at a gunshow, it had previously belonged to the Texas Department Of Corrections.

Initially the shotgun was just digitized as is, though apparently when showing one of the demo builds to journalists, it was criticized as looking dull, and like "a grey banana," a criticism which was apparently taken to heart. What was done next was to get some parts to put on the gun, a Tac-Star ventilated heatshield to go over the barrel, and then a Tac-Star vertical foregrip for the pump-slide. The shotgun was then digitized again, in better lighting, and then retouched somewhat in post to accentuate the shading, and to add the Duke Nukem radiation emblem on the side of the receiver.

The Winchester 1200 and 1300 shotguns are pretty cool actually, unlike a lot of other shotguns which use a tilting locking block on the bolt to lock into the top of the receiver or an extension of the barrel protruding into the receiver, the 1300 emulates the AR15, using a steel collar extension on the barrel, and a rotating bolt with radial locking lugs to engage into the collar's locking recesses. This allows the shotgun to use a receiver made out of aluminum, and allows it to be pretty impressively lightweight, which would increase recoil a little, but it also makes it easier to carry around.
Duke Nukem has a pretty cool taste in shotguns.
>>
Some posts I saw once which I think well describes Duke Nukem as a character and why he works so incredibly well in Duke Nukem 3D.
Duke Nukem Forever I think gravely misunderstand what makes Duke Nukem cool and funny, and makes him come off less like a charming and awe inspiring comedic hero, and instead more like an inconsistent sociopath, probably because whoever wrote him in that game don't understand the difference between narcissism and sociopathy.
>>
File: Dukenukemshotgun1.jpg (257 KB, 568x639)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
Compilation of photos which were digitized to create Duke Nukem 3D's shotgun graphics. Somewhat small resolution, but the content comes across. If you look closely you can see the radial-lugged bolt-head on the bolt when the action is open, a dead give away of it being a Winchester 1300.

So this is a shotgun without a shoulder stock, meaning there's strictly no easy way to aim this gun at anything but pretty close distance, and being less steady due to not being able to support it solidly against your shoulder, it's thus slightly less easy to pump. Believe it or not, but shotguns like these can actually be viable, if you put in enough practice and training to get really good with them, and I can imagine a dude like Duke Nukem does, and he's certainly strong enough that operating it comes with great ease to him.
IRL, I would suggest putting a laser sight on a shotgun like this to make it easier to 'point shoot' with the thing, but the scatter effect of shot does let you kind of eyeball it, Duke certainly does so.

Speaking of which, Duke Nukem 3D actually depicts shotgun spread in a reasonably restrained and realistic manner, as opposed to many much later 'realistic' first person shooters which depict shotguns with 90 degree spread from the muzzle and as having their projectiles evaporate after 10ft. You can actually get pretty good hit patterns with this shotgun in the game at distances like 35yds, and while we're on this subject, this is something that the pump-action shotgun in Doom and Doom 2 does as well, providing you with some useful 'medium range' capacity.
Funny how older and more fantastical shooters with far less of a focus on realism gets shotguns better than many later ones which claim realism as a main selling point.
>>
File: 1491738145755.jpg (237 KB, 858x1200)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: phantom.jpg (3.42 MB, 2016x2268)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB JPG
The SITES Spectre M4, a subgun in 9mm Luger, though it operates on just regular blowback, it actually fires from a closed bolt with a striker (or striker-ish) thing. This here is a semi-auto one imported to the US as a pistol, then had its original subgun stock and vertical foregrip (both rare in the US) added to it after being registered as a short-barreled rifle.
This gun has quite a lot of odd features to it, and in construction it's kind of odd itself, being made from a particularly thick gauge of sheet steel (though it's robust as a result). One of the things this weird gun lets you do is to, I don't know how to describe it, "semi-decock" it, and putting it into a pseudo double-action/single-action mode, only it's not actually double-action, and it's more sort of like a Glock's quasi-double-action where it needs to be partially cocked first. I don't really know how to put the mechanics of it into words.

The other feature which it's most famous for (besides its cool looks), is the quad-stack magazines, where two double stacks of cartridges sit side by side, then converge at the top into one double stack (with a two position feed), allowing it to fit a decent bit more ammunition for the given length. At a length comparable to a typical double-stacked 20rd magazine, the Spectre's can fit 30rds, and that's the short one, but for one which is about the length of a typical 30rd magazine, it fits 50rds. As cool as this gun is, apparently the magazines are the bothersome part, described by many as very bothersome to load, and usually they go for well north of $100 by their own.

SITES was hoping that they would be able to sell this gun to Italian law enforcement, but found that they weren't particularly interested, as spaghetti cops had been using Beretta M12 subguns for many years, and found those to be very satisfactory guns. Why waste time and money on what's at best a sidegrade?
>>
File: Remington Model 11.jpg (255 KB, 2312x1430)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
Here's a 1920's era Remington Model 11, with the barrel cut down to 20" (it was longer, but had some damage to it), as well as a magazine tube extension to match the length of the barrel, which I believe may bring up the capacity to six or seven plus one.

The Remington Model 11 is a licensed clone of the Browning Auto-5, a long-recoil shotgun designed by John Moses Browning in 1898, and the first commercially successful automatic shotgun ever put to market, coming out in 1900. Long-recoil is a lot like short-recoil, only the barrel, as the name implies, recoils a much longer throw, the length of the entire cartridge, then a fraction of an inch more.
Here's some slow-motion footage showing the action cycling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEoDnrtVp2c

It looks pretty slick when the entire barrel recoils together with the bolt carrier; the bolt unlocks from the barrel which then is returned forward with the bolt carrier pausing, and then shortly after the bolt carrier goes forward, picking up the next cartridge and locking into the barrel. It utilizes a tilting bolt which locks into the top of the barrel, and the recoil spring is situated inside of the stock, in a sort of angled recoil-buffer style setup.

The original Auto-5 had a magazine cutoff which would let you easily eject the shell in your chamber without loading the next one from your magazine, so if you needed to switch to a slug on the fly that was easy, this feature is missing on the Remington and Savage copies. It's worth noting that the velocity of the barrel depends some on the setup of the 'friction-rings' which are situated around the magazine tube, so if you're planning on shooting light loads, you need to take off the handguards and adjust the setup of the friction rings, likewise for heavy loads which otherwise may batter the stock. It's not entirely unusual to find a used Auto-5 or Model 11 with a damaged stock as a result, but it's easy to prevent.
>>
File: a5straightboy.jpg (164 KB, 1280x508)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
Pictured here is a Browning Auto-5 with a straight-comb stock (and the full length barrel), which was something that was an option for these guns. I think it quite suites the old style aesthetic of these shotguns, and contrary to what some may think, this stock shape is actually rather comfortable (at least in my opinion).
Something which was available from some manufacturers as a police gun was an Auto-5 with a full length magazine tube to go with such a long barrel (and an extra long handguard to match), which would give it a capacity of I think 9 or even 10 plus 1.

The Auto-5 was a very popular shotgun, it stayed in production for a VERY long time, over 75 years I believe, because it just worked very well. Thus, it's very easy to find used Browning Auto-5s, Remington Model 11s, and Savage Model 720s, and often they're not all that expensive, one in decent condition and with an intact stock can go for about $600 or so, while a rougher one can easily be cheaper. These were available in a variety of chamberings, the typical 12-Gauge, but also the smaller 16-Gauge (a less popular shell these days), and 20-Gauge, the yet smaller shell which is the second most common shotgun shell next to 12.

John Moses Browning is said to have considered this gun his best achievement, and it's certainly a good shotgun which has a long history with hunters. Still to this day, people take these out in forests during hunting seasons.
>>
File: Auto-5 Shorty.jpg (366 KB, 1080x1080)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
An Auto-5 with the barrel cut down flush with the magazine tube. As the recoil spring is fitted in an assembly inside the grip of the stock (and the bolt carrier connects to it with a pivoting link), you can't really cut the stocks of these shotguns down very much. I imagine that the drastic reduction in the mass of the recoiling barrel may affect reliability with some loads, but I couldn't say for sure, likely you may want to play with the setup of the friction-rings (potentially you may want a custom set of friction-rings for optimal performance and wear reduction).

Clyde Barrow, fabled counterpart of Elizabeth Bonnie, carried a very short Auto-5 in a shoulder holster kind of rig, calling it his "Whip-It-Gun", as he could rapidly whip out from his coat/jacket and have it shouldered in a second.
>>
File: big soft tomboy titties.jpg (294 KB, 950x1318)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
There was one of these left.
>>
File: oozi nine millimeeta.png (110 KB, 1558x722)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
Work In Progress on a set of sprites which I haven't done anything on in way too long. It's a pair of Mini Uzis intended for a project.

They're based on the Uzis from Shadow Warrior, obviously, but also some work by Cory Whittle (the author of Immoral Conduct). There's a lot of cutting, pasting, and recutting and repasting, as well as some rotating, to get the proportions, angles, and shapes just right, as well as a lot of manual touching up and drawing. The folding stocks are completely drawn manually by me, and I feel they fit stylistically, as well as look correct.

These sprites here will be used for the reloading animations, I've yet to do much work on the actual centered sprites (for having a single Mini-Uzi), or the angled sprites (for dual-wielding). I'm pondering if the right gun will have its stock extended, while the left one will have it folded, as dual weilding would be used as a toggled 'mode' where you bring up the second gun on screen quickly, as a means of providing double the firepower immediately.
Otherwise, the Mini-Uzi can be used as a single gun, stock extended and resting against your shoulder, for less spread and easier recoil.

What I really want to do is to split their reloading process and magazines, so instead of just inexplicably having twice the magazine capacity, each gun tracks its own magazine, and the reload (which will be made pretty fast), can be done one at a time, in case you get in a bind in the middle of it.
>>
File: 1593779864796.png (890 KB, 760x430)
890 KB
890 KB PNG
OP here this is my fave image im retarded and gay
>>
File: vz58 wood.jpg (933 KB, 4272x2848)
933 KB
933 KB JPG
The Vz.58 is a rifle developed in the Czech Republic during the Cold War. The Czechs had initially gone with a 7.62x45mm cartridge for their earlier Vz.52 rifles, but being part of the Warsaw Pact, they were pressured to go for the 7.62x39mm cartridge with their new rifle, to retain ammo commonality if nothing else. In hindsight, a better choice, as the 7.62x45mm cartridge didn't offer all that much more power, about 100fps or so more velocity than 7.62x39mm, and with a comparably weighted projectile, so it wasn't exactly a battle rifle or anything, so might as well use the cartridge your allies are using, it's more practical for an infantry rifle anyway.

This one here is fitted with the really old style furniture made out of actual wood, eventually the Czechs would replace it with furniture made from wood chip infused phenolic resin, colloquially referred to as "Beaver Barf" by westerners. I think the real wood looks nicer, but there's a certain odd charm to the later style.

>>105377
That's a nice dog, I hope he feels better soon.
>>
File: vz58 stripper.webm (2.87 MB, 500x326)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB WEBM
This .webm demonstrates one of the features of the Vz.58 which is unusual, the ability to take a stripper clip to load the magazine, an SKS stripper clip, in fact. One clip holds 10rds, and thus stripping three clips into a magazine would fully loaded. God knows why the rifle has this feature, but it's there, probably a relic from when the design was still intended for the longer and (barely) higher powered 7.62x45mm cartridge.

Some may assume the Vz.58 to be a weird AK clone at a quick glance, but it actually works entirely differently, and shares no parts.
>AK uses a long-stroke gas piston which is part of the bolt-carrier, the VZ has a short-stroke piston which shoves the carrier
>AK uses a rotating bolt with two lugs (like on an M1 rifle), while the VZ uses a linearly moving bolt with a tilting locking block (like the slide on a P38 or 92FS pistol)
>AK uses a typical swinging hammer, VZ uses a linear striker
>AK has no bolt hold-open and will close on an empty chamber after taking the last round from its steel magazine, VZ has a bolt hold-open tripped by the follower of its aluminum magazine, the gun will lock open after the last shot, and will stay open while you change the magazine

There's even further differences, like the machined steel receiver the Vz.58 always stuck with, yet retaining lighter weight than the stamped steel receiver the AKM settled with, or how the fire control group works, but these are the most significant differences.
>>
File: octopussy11-main1.jpg (840 KB, 2100x3000)
840 KB
840 KB JPG
Well, there goes the old thread.

Here's a picture of Roger Moore with a Vz.58 rifle, in the James Bond movie Octopussy, riding down a bannister and gunning down goons. Some people don't like how the 007 movies with Roger Moore are more light hearted, with more fantastical plots and more goofy humor added in, but I actually find them pretty charming. I like that those movies are so different, that they're such a contrast to the Timothy Dalton movies, which are much more grounded and far more serious and brutal.

I appreciate how each of those eras differ in style, and I like Moore's and Dalton's the very most, particularly for being opposites.
>>
File: EIpcy0mWsAAFjUq.jpg (218 KB, 1578x1660)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
A nice fanart of Samus Aran. The waistline on the suit does look extreme, but she would actually fit inside of it comfortably. The morphball part is still up to your imagination though.
>>
2048 Units Of /vr/ is finally updated to Version 1.5
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/116497-new-update-v15-2048-units-of-vr-boom-megawad-for-doom-ii/
Pictured is a screenshot from one of the levels, played with a mod project I've been working on for quite some time.

This should be the last things to fix with this project. Errors included the keys on Map 24 not being tagged to spawn on Easy and Medium difficulties, as well as a linedef trigger which *I* fucked up on another map when I was supposed to fix it before. Let's pray this shit doesn't need any more work done to it, I really want to move on, I think both me and the other people on /vr/ have better things to do and can do better maps in the future.

If you're interested in further Doom level sets by /vr/, there's also a project called Hard Fast Faggot Maps, which should be due pretty soon. Regrettably I didn't have any real time to contribute any levels to that, but I did help a guy with his own map.
>>
>>105979
Oh nice, good work
>>
File: shadowwarriornes.png (1.07 MB, 940x1074)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
Goofy mockup I did once, because I always thought the prototype cover art for Shadow Warrior looked kinda like some of the cover art for some NES games, such as Wizards & Warriors. It bears the Apogee logo, as that's the name 3D Realms would have gone as if they had made a game for the NES around say, 1990. Still uses the later Shadow Warrior logo though, as it just looks more striking and gives more contrast against the backdrop. Probably missing some copyright text and what not, but the Nintendo seal is still there.

Shadow Warrior actually started development as early as 1992, and the very earliest Alpha build which has been released was straight up a Wolfenstein 3D style game, 90 degree walls and everything made in fixed squares, so to say (though there was barely anything to this build aside from a very basic demonstration). Shadow Warrior coming out in 1997, it had quite a long development cycle, and changed quite a lot over this time, from the beginning it was much more 'classic' ninja stuff with the black garbs and all, like you'd see with oh so many 1980s home computer games such as the Last Ninja series.

There was some fair bit of emphasis on magic, something which is almost gone in the final game, but is focused on a lot more with the 2013 reboot. It also seems like it would have been far less crass and not nearly as violent, but this gradually changed as Apogee/3D Realms grew larger and larger balls with Rise Of The Triad and then especially Duke Nukem 3D.

>>105980
Another /vr/ regular, or a passerby?
>>
File: 1606248837355.jpg (235 KB, 1456x1820)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
The full painting as would have been used for Shadow Warrior. This art was painted by Julie Bell, body builder and wife of fabled master painter (and hedonistic body builder) Boris Vallejo. They have similar tastes and styles, but she's a damn good artist in her own right.

This art would later be sold on and used for some novel of some sort, which I think had no actual association with Shadow Warrior at all (which is fun, as the design of the dude on the cover, his weird arm guard weapon, and particularly the big serpent demon, the latter who made it to the finished game, were all based on Shadow Warrior concepts). Bell also painted covers to many other games, such as Wolfenstein 3D, as well as a bunch of titles for the Sega Genesis.
>>
File: HUFFEM.png (307 KB, 1876x1186)
307 KB
307 KB PNG
Oh goddammit, I just found out there's a bug in Map 29 (the best map in the set), which softlocks you. It never ends this shit, someone else will have to fix it this time, I'm way too busy to do that now, and Repugnus better not drag his fucking feet on submitting it to iDGames this time.
Next time, I'll just say that version 1.6 is out, and not jinx myself again. Making this statement, I've condemned us to having to keep working until version 2.0 or something like that.

Pic is the origin of the current /vr/ Doom Project. They didn't make it up to 32 maps, more like I think 18, but I've tested some of the levels and they're sick as fuck. One in particular is extremely novel and well made, I've never been so stressed and excited by a Doom level before
>>
File: jill macs.jpg (160 KB, 800x1098)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
Some art of Jill Valentine from I think Resident Evil 5, where she's evil for some reason (I couldn't get into that game).

This image features a very nice butt, also the MAC M11 pistols (or subguns without stocks?) are given very accurate detail overall, the sling swivel plate on the front hangs down with gravity, the bolts are locked back in the open position, ready to fire, and the front sights are even properly depicted as the crude cut-out stamped shapes they actually are.
The magazines seem to feature two wedges serving as over-insertion stops stamped into them, which isn't a feature for the magazines of any of the Military Arms Corporation, Cobray, or SWD guns that I know of, rather this is the style of over-insertion stops you would see on Uzi magazines. Perhaps they are modified.
>>
... aaand there the old thread dropped off of the site's archive.

Here's the 1.6 Version of 2048 Units Of /vr/
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/116497-new-update-v16-2048-units-of-vr-boom-megawad-for-doom-ii/
I will say nothing about it.
>>
File: 4506 pistol.jpg (56 KB, 800x494)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Smith & Wesson's "third generation" automatics are some of my favorite pistols. Most are all stainless steel (with some aluminum frames), they're all hammer-fired, and they're DA/SA or DAO, with some classic 1911-ish looking slides.

Pictured is the Smith & Wesson 4506, featuring some rubber Hogue grips. The 4506 is chambered for .45 Auto, and can with an extra strength recoil spring be used to shoot .45 Super, it has an 8+1 capacity. This is what I call a fucking pistol, all steel, large bore, hammer fired, full sized, you could use it as a club if you had to and it wouldn't be worse for wear.
>>
File: 1006 S&W 10mm.jpg (394 KB, 2943x2142)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
The Smith & Wesson 1006, much like the 4506, but chambered for 10mm Auto, with a 9rd magazine. These are fairly sought after, due to the hardcore cult following of the 10mm Auto cartridge.
>>
File: 5906 9mm Luger.jpg (446 KB, 700x1250)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
The Smith & Wesson 5906 is the version in 9mm Luger, with a slightly shorter barrel and slide, and with a double-stack 14rd magazine. With the all steel frame, the weight and and lack of flex in these pistols makes them noticeably softer shooting than any of the later plastic framed pistols which replaced it.

With the Glock 17 coming out in the 80s, at a low cost, light weight, and with a 17rd magazine, it became very popular and took over a lot after guns like these, which gradually fell by the wayside. These days, you can get high quality, flush fitting 17rd magazines by MecGar, and these fit flush in the 5906, letting these old things be pretty competitive still (especially if you don't mind the weight for carrying, or if you outright prefer the feel of it and the hammer, like I do).
>>
The Smith & Wesson 5904 is much the same as the 5906, only the frame is anodized aluminum, and the slide is blued steel. It'd be lighter, though I suspect it doesn't have as long of a lifespan, steel slide riding on an aluminum frame, and it probably has a little bit more felt recoil. I like the dark finish on the gun overall though.
>>
This cute little thing is a Mini Revolver by North American Arms, one of many kinds.

They make quite a wide variety of small revolvers in .22 caliber rimfire cartridges, including .22 Short, .22 Long Rifle, and .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum, and in a variety of configurations. Most have you pull out the axis pin to remove the cylinder for loading and unloading, but they do make a few different ones, like a swing-out cylinder hand ejector, and a top-break (I think actually automatic) ejector. They're all single-action, though they lack any kind of transfer bar, they have a really oldschool feature where there's a slot cut between each chamber on the cylinders which the blade-style rimfire pin on the hammer can be rested, leaving the action securely locked and the hammer unable to hit any of the cartridges (a bit like on some old cap and ball revolvers).
They also have some neat unusual ones, like one with a grip which the gun folds into, kind of like a folding pocking knife, and one which comes fitted into a belt-buckle, I guess if you wanted to open-carry in a really unusual way (you can just pull it out of its mount and use it as a 'normal' gun).

This is their smallest one, in little .22 Short, with some coins for scale. Most wouldn't look at a gun like this as anything else but an adorable novelty, but it is still a firearm, and it's one which could be concealed even on the beach.
>>
File: stainlessseecampcommander.jpg (1.28 MB, 1408x1584)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
A stainless steel Colt Combat Commander 1911, with a Seecamp conversion. These pictures show the thing in a little bit more detail, like the hinged front trigger setting when the hammer is cocked.

These conversions were devised by a Ludwig 'Louis' Seecamp, who was trained as a master gunsmith in pre-WW2 Germany, then served in the Wehrmacht during the war, on the Eastern Front. In a combat encounter, he saved his own life with his issued Walther P38 pistol (bearing a lifelong scar from the incident, a bullet cutting the side of his cheek and taking out a couple of teeth in the process).

This experience had a big impact on him, the double-action/single-action trigger he felt was a substantial advantage with the P38 pistol over most other service pistols at the time, being able to carry the gun with the hammer down, but then still be able to just draw and fire immediately. Given that he came to the strong opinion that point shooting was much more valuable for really close distances than using the sights, likely the situation involved him drawing and shooting from the hip, just in time, killing his opponent and shifting their aim, just lightly wounding Seecamp instead of surely killing him.

Surviving the war, and then moving to America in the 1959, he found work at Mossberg. He came to be quite appreciative of the 1911 pistol, he thought it was a very good handgun, however, the 1911 is a single-action only pistol, and he always felt that it would be even better if it was double-action/single-action, like the P38. Retiring from Mossberg in 1971, he decided to open his own business, he had patented a method to convert a 1911 pistol into a double-action/single-action automatic, and gunsmithing like this would be what his own business was all about.

Ludwig Seecamp's 1911 conversions would become the world's first DA/SA automatics chambered for .45 Auto, he would do them through his shop, as well as have them done by other gunsmiths he trained and licensed to do it.
>>
Another Colt Combat Commander converted by Seecamp. About 2000 or so 1911 pistols were converted like this by Seecamp and by licensed smiths. These days, the company is more widely known for their small all steel pocket pistols.

I think I would very much like a 1911 like this, particularly with a pinned down grip-safety and a relief cut on the trigger guard, to allow for a higher grip and easier recoil control (the grip safety only interacts with the trigger anyway, not with the sear or firing-pin).
Other nice things to add would be a squared firing-pin stop and lightweight 14lbs recoil spring (makes the slide tougher to cock while the hammer is down, but instead reduces felt recoil and wear, also the double-action trigger can assist with this if really necessary), as well as an enlarged slide release lever and some Novak sights.
Though one could on forever about what they'd like in a fully personalized 1911 pistol if they had the money to get it done, so maybe I'll stop here.

Don't actually have any kind of real devlog stuff to show for now, have been very busy, but I have gotten some stuff done here and there.
>>
Well, my left cornea is detaching, so tomorrow I'll have to go and get poked in the eye for that. Anesthesia is always a small risk, but my odds should be pretty good.
If you're nearsighted, and if you're VERY nearsighted, don't ignore odd spots or phenomenons showing up in your vision, don't brush it off and hope it goes away, get to a doctor and have it checked as soon as you can, and really just have your eyes looked at by an eye doctor once a year anyway.

This pic isn't strictly anything new, but here's a screenshot from me playtesting some gameplay mod changes. The mapset is Suspended In Dusk, a large four level mapset for Doom 2, which has some really phenomenal texture usage and architecture, and is overall fun to play as well. It's one of my favorite mapsets ever, it's so unfathomably well made.

Suspended In Dusk was made by a guy named Espi, a ridiculously talented mapper who knew the ins and out of the original engine, employing all sorts of novel tricks in his levels, many which still remain uncommon or obscure. Espi had to have his arm amputated for cancer, but kept mapping with the one he had left, but would eventually pass away in 2009.
He's regarded by many as one of the most talented Doom mappers to have ever lived. His levels inspire me quite a lot (at least stylistically, I've yet to really map in pure vanilla), it's like you look at every single aspect of SID, and it all feels incredibly deliberate, nothing was just done because, or with little thinking, even the small things, down to texture choice and alignment.

I hope that I can be half as talented as he was with just the two of my arms.
>>
File: berserk16.jpg (977 KB, 1440x2048)
977 KB
977 KB JPG
Boy, is my left eye still sore. Ended up not being done the scheduled day, because someone else was ahead of me in line, and they had some kind of acute problem which had to be done right that second, and which ended up taking quite a lot more time than they thought.
If you're going in for surgery, bring your phone, a charger, and like a Game Boy or 3DS, Switch, anything, because there's a good chance you'll be left waiting for a long time doing basically nothing, they'll have TV, but how many channels they'll have is a crapshoot, and daytime TV hasn't gotten better since I used to watch it as a kid/teen (if they had just kept airing episodes of Quincy M.E or Buffy, that would have been fine, but they didn't). You'll also not get to eat, so you need something to distract from the ever worsening hunger.

The surgery itself wasn't so bad, hell, I was out for that, but the oxygen mask made my throat and nose dry as FUCK, that shit took days to resolve. After surgery I was in a constant cycle of waking up, drinking a bit of water, then going to take a piss, then going back to my bed to sleep.
I'll have to get the other eye done on Friday, and I'm planning ahead for that.

In Kentaro Miura's memory, here's an original Berserk piece by him, featuring Guts in combat with Zodd The Immortal. The composition and colors are exquisite.
>>
File: berserk51.jpg (615 KB, 2048x1446)
615 KB
615 KB JPG
My plan for Berserk was that Miura would complete it sometime when I was in my late 50s, whereupon I'd sit down regularly to go through it all, starting from scratch.

Of course, that wasn't gonna happen, because Miura was an obsessive perfectionist who worked himself to the bone, on the art at least. See the spiny ridged tentacles in the foreground here? No shortcuts or shit here, he sat down to do all of this, hence why the manga took so much time, even when he did use digital tools, he'd still go down to pixel by pixel to get it just right (which is often kind of how I sprite, actually, except my scale of work is tiny).

Apparently quite a lot of the story and setup was kind of made up as he went, which is amazing for how good the entire era with the Band Of The Hawk was, but would also explain some of people's complaints about later parts, like being stuck on a boat (I haven't read that far, so IDK what the complaints are). Apparently he had some ideas jotted down and had a vague plan for where he would take it all, no idea how much was actually left, or if he wrote down all of his actual ideas.
>>
File: redhawkrevolver.jpg (299 KB, 1500x996)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
A pretty picture of a blued Ruger Redhawk, featuring some nice and handfilling wood grips (possibly by Hogue). I'm hoping that I'll maybe shoot a bit better after my eyes are healed up, but that may take some time.

>>107330
A daring supposition.
>>
File: OSS Bigot.jpg (188 KB, 1393x737)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
I really hope they aren't gonna do the same surgery on my right eye tomorrow, my left eye still hasn't recovered that much, so if they did that, I would be nearly blind for at least a short while.

The "Bigot" was an odd weapon developed by the OSS during WW2, as a means of converting a standard M1911A1 pistol into a quiet (enough) dartgun. It required fitting a sleeve into the bore of the pistol (and if memory serves it was machined to engage into the rifling grooves of the pistol, requiring some strength and effort to install and to remove), and a dart was loaded into the sleeve.
The dart was powered by a blank cartridge (.25 Auto, I think), and it would telescope out in flight, the fins shown at the muzzle of the pistol being dragged to the rear of it to provide some means of stabilization.

Though I imagine this may have not been that loud, I also wonder exactly what they attempted to achieve with this, precision must have been poor, the dart can't have had very good terminal effect compared to just regular 230gr FMJ (which is subsonic, pairing well with typical suppressors, also retaining the faster loading and shooting of the normal pistol, and the better precision to boot).
I have seen some mockup projectiles which look like they were intended to be explosives (like tiny rifle grenades), but I don't see why these would be all that desirable either. I guess it's one of those strange things which they just tried to see what would happen. The name is unusual too, but may have just been a random codeword drawn from a hat.
>>
File: rust in piece.jpg (275 KB, 1000x1000)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
Phew, no more surgery (for now), it turns out.
I'm helpless enough with just one usable eye, and having to do almost nothing physical (I'm no active athlete, but it does make me antsy to not even cook or walk the dog).

Here's some old album art.
>>
File: shadowrunad.jpg (1.96 MB, 2000x2683)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
An old magazine ad for Shadowrun, on the SNES.

Kind of a cool game, combining RPG-like stat building and point and point and click adventures. Has a cool as FUCK setting and atmosphere, most things feel run down and shitty, yet with edges of high technology, a great Used Future aesthetic permeates throughout the game, and the groovy as fuck soundtrack is a big part of it. The best part is that it's built on older perceptions of futuristic and advanced technology, as well.
An aspect I really like, also, is the supernatural and fantasy-like elements, trolls, orcs, elves, dwarves, and then vampires, ghouls, zombies, ghosts (some which are digital), as well as divine spirits, dragons, mermaids, all along with spells and magic.

However, how good of a videogame is it? Eeeh, eh, it's kind of ok, I guess? There's virtually no choices for the player in terms of storytelling, with just a single path, all the same characters, and it's quite grindy, which isn't exactly lovely with how the combat is mildly clunky and awkward. The worst part is early in the game, where you're forced to grind cash and/or levels to exit a place you're stuck in, and you're pretty much stuck with the starting handgun for doing this, with no magic, which is uh, actually extremely tedious and unfun.

Still, for its flaws, I love it a lot for its style and aesthetics. I've never played the P&P games, though I hear the newer editions evolved the technology a lot, so now all the Matrix and Decking stuff is a billion times less cool because it involves smartphones and shit.
>>
File: stargate-poster.jpg (303 KB, 1340x2086)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
Movie poster for Stargate, which is probably the only good movie Roland Emmerich has made. It's not as good as the resulting Stargate SG-1 television series, but I find it's still enjoyable and fun, good action, good costumes, good props, good effects, nice visuals, etc. Kurt Russel and James Spader do fine performances, though I hear Spader thought the movie was complete trash and didn't like it at all, only doing it for the money. Roland Emmerich hated the TV series and says he doesn't consider them canon to his movie, or something like that, and that he wants to make his own proper sequel to it, which to my knowledge hasn't materialized.

Had a licensed 16-bit game on the SNES and Genesis, which actually is pretty decent too, once you learn the controls, they're quite fluid and nice, you can maneuver and move pretty well, and shoot in all eight directions, as well as throw hand grenades like a mad cunt, which is always good.
>>
File: 1462422763091.jpg (407 KB, 1920x1480)
407 KB
407 KB JPG
Art of Ranger, from Quake 1, depicted with what appears to be the Rocket Launcher from Quake 3 Arena.
>>
File: big raygun.jpg (239 KB, 1800x1367)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
A very large raygun prop of some sort. I like the stereotypical 'Handheld-Minigun' style of setup, with the one up-turned grip, and the chainsaw bar on the front.
I have no idea who made this prop, and for what, or what it's actually supposed to be, but I vaguely get the impression that it could be a magnetic accelerator. Presumably it could be reverse image searched.

No more surgery for quite some time, they'll get back to me in fall to look at the other eye. They figure that a detachment may have been on its way on my right, but it wasn't happening soon, so it turns out those 'reinforcement welds' were a good call. Still see somewhat fuzzy with my left, and it's still offset/canted, but it's getting better.

Haven't tried to play any Doom yet with just one eye, but maybe it could be done. I suspect that my more limited vision will be a hindrance, however.
>>
File: Mechanized Infantry.gif (342 KB, 480x320)
342 KB
342 KB GIF
So Advance Wars is getting remade, 1 and 2 as a single game for the Switch. On one hand, I'm somewhat excited, because it means the series isn't gone and forgotten, and maybe there'll be nice new fanart. On the other hand, the visual style of the remake isn't exactly excellent, as of now anyway.

Stylistically, it's still got the somewhat exaggerated proportions and scaling, and it's appropriately colorful, but it kind of lacks detail and it could really use some stark shading, maybe even add straight up cartoony black outlines. I don't LOVE the style which the new CO portraits are drawn in, but they're all fully animated and rather expressive, which I think is pretty cool.

The animation of units I think could be a LOT better, looking at infantry their upper bodies kinda just shake back and forth as muzzle flashes are vaguely in front of their guns. If you look at Mechanized Infantry, they all slowly raise their launchers over their shoulders, out of sync, yet the actual firing and flashes take place at a set time, regardless of if they've all gotten on target. It looks weird, sloppy, and janky, compare to the original, where they all wait to get in position and ready, then fire off. Overall, a lot of the unit animation is very lacking in weight and timing, and flashes and sounds should sync to the animations for more satisfying results.

One can hope that things like these will be improved upon by the time of release in December, but that seems rather optimistic of me. First it makes me think I'll get a Switch after all, but maybe I'll hold off still, maybe that rumored improved model will come, maybe it won't have analog stick drift.
>>
File: lash spook getup.jpg (227 KB, 1414x2000)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
On that note, here's a cool piece of art of Lash. It's one of the best made fanarts I've seen of the game, and I like it a lot, though it's kind of a shame that one of the best fanarts also is something with a made up outfit like this.

Also, looking over the footage of the remake again, maybe I'm slightly harsh, it's not all quite floaty at all times, but it seems depending on terrain, the accompanying animations are a lot worse (Mechanized Infantry firing from a mountain looks extremely bad, there's no pause as the recoil bottoms out and the vehicle suspension 'halts' it on Artillery in general).
I still think the animation can use a bunch of tweaking overall though, and stronger shading would really improve the visuals overall, since a lot of detail which is actually there on these models ends up kind of disappearing otherwise. Black cartoon outlines would also work well with the aesthetic.
>>
File: revy jacket.jpg (175 KB, 1160x1500)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>
File: T249_Vigilante_--.jpg (197 KB, 1024x768)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
The T249 Vigilante was an attempt at an advanced mobile anti-air system in the 1950s, consisting of a motorized terrain chassis (made from a modified M113 APC), fitted with the T250 cannon. It was a huge, six barreled Gatling cannon, the largest Gatling gun ever built, using a 37x219mmSR cannon shell, and driven by a hydraulic system, allowing for a variable rate of fire between 150rpm, and 3000rpm.

The Vigilante project was abandoned around 1960, as it was found that Surface to Air Missiles were a far more practical approach for taking down enemy jet planes. Presumably part of it was the setup being built for a 192rd drum of linked cannon shells, which would last all of 5 seconds at max RPM, a somewhat narrow margin. Presumably a larger drum fitting a longer belt could be made (though crew would have to be able to handle and load it as well), and likely multiple of these guns would have been used in one defensive position, also not necessarily at the highest RPM.
>>
File: burger time deluxe.jpg (102 KB, 564x735)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Today is Fourth Of July, and by goddamn am I going to eat a hamburger. Maybe even two. Happy Independence Day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX_k5_egUAo

Here's an old magazine ad for Burger Time Deluxe, the Game Boy port of Data East's 1982 arcade clasic. It speaks for itself, I think.
>>
/doom/'s "Hard Fast Faggot Maps" are finished, and are awaiting upload on iDgames (who knows if that'll happen).

It's quite a lot of fun, the maps are quite hard, and they certainly are very, very gay, being full of Gachimuchi stuff, both soundbytes and custom sprites. The reskinned monsters are by Captain_Mozzarella, and I think they're fantastic, they give the mapset a lot of fun character, fitting well with the various sound replacements, a lot which are Gachi soundbytes, but then you've got the simple things, like the Revenants (now Gimps) still sounding like Revenants, only muffled, due to the leather masks they wear, also making cartoonish whip and lash noises for their punching.

It has a lot of heart, in all kinds of ways, I've played through it once, and I'm giving it another go now, just because it's so fun.
I didn't really contribute directly, beyond some playtesting as well as advice, but I wish I had the time to submit a map for it.
>>
It's also merciless as hell with any mod which makes monsters more aggressive. Some people have managed to take it on and beat it while playing it with Hideous Destructor, which is quite impressive to me.
>>
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/hardfun

Hard Fast Faggot Maps got an idgames release after all. I'd hold off on downloading though, they needed to do one last update, also this upload is the censored version without using the word Faggot.

I'd say it's a must play, though. Extremely well made maps, and full of fun gachimuchi stuff. Can't wait for this to show up on the DSDA Twitch channel one day,.
>>
File: CZ75 Pistol.jpg (3.29 MB, 4160x2340)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
An old and worn CZ75 pistol.
>>
Magnum Research Desert Eagle, chambered for .50 Action Express, this pistol has a color case hardened finish, which I think makes the pistol look absolutely beautiful, like it was sculpted out of some sort of black/metallic colored marble, somehow.

This is one of the options you can get ordering a pistol from them these days, and to me it's far more aesthetically pleasing and sophisticated than the gaudy and ugly (faux) gold tigerstripe finish which gets memed about. I only wish that they still made barrels without the picatinny rail on top, as I think this doesn't suit the pistols with this finish.
>>
Here's a production still of lovable gun nut Burt Gummer (Michael Gross), from the Tremors film series. I have only watched the first four, and they're all quite fun, but apparently they're still making these movies, no idea if they're as good.
The first movie is extremely competent and well made, strong characters, strong acting, strong script, strong effects, strong pacing, strong jokes, lots of attention to detail. I find it hilarious that Kevin Bacon originally freaked out and thought he had ruined his career on "some stupid worm movie!" when it's such an excellent film, but I guess that's what allowed Gross to become the star of the series.
Maybe it's less obvious during the actual shooting, after all, many good films were actually saved in editing, but Tremors is so very well made from top to bottom.

Burt here is posing with an M240G machinegun (7.62x51mm NATO), also known as the FN MAG-58. It's a pretty heavy gun, but it's also borderline indestructible and runs like a sewing machine, and when down on its bipod, the weight makes it keep pretty steady. Initially the MAG-58 was adopted by the US as the M240, to be mounted on tanks, because they found the M60 wasn't entirely suited for that role, then eventually the US Marine Core would adopt it because they weren't entirely happy with the M60 either, the M240 working better as a vehicle gun, and still being well usable for infantry on foot. Eventually the M240B (Bravo) comes to replace the M60E3 in US Army service as a GPMG, and it's a heavier gun, but it doesn't beat itself up like M60 was still doing by the E3 iteration.

These days, they're up to the M240L (Lima) iteration, which uses things like a titanium receiver, shaving as many as 5.5lbs(!) off of the beast, down to 22lbs, without affecting durability and longevity. The plan is that the M240L will replace the M240B, but considering the cost of titanium, and the fact that the M240B still works excellently, I don't see that happening any time soon.
>>
Well, my other eye is being a cunt this time, so I'll have to get surgery very soon.

Have this bump and a screenshot of HFFM, the last version is out now, maybe even on iDgames. If you like Doom, if you like hard maps, and if you like GachiMuchi, you owe it to yourself to give it a play. Had a wonderful time, definitely my favorite levelset of the year.
>>
File: Stoner 63A, Vietnam.png (1.44 MB, 1000x853)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
Picture of a Navy SEAL from during the Vietnam War, holding a Stoner 63A.
The Stoner 63 was the brainchild of Eugene Stoner, Bob Fremont, and Jim Sullivan, the old AR10, AR15, and AR18 gang. The vision was a modular receiver which one could bolt on different things to as to configure it for different purposes, rifles, carbines, machineguns, using magazines or belts, firing from a closed bolt or open bolt, etc. Initially developed as the Stoner 62, a 7.62x51mm NATO weapon, but by 1963 it was readily apparent that interest was shifting much more towards 5.56x45mm NATO and that patch was chosen instead.

The US Marines tested these and didn't find them satisfactory (partially due to unrealistic expectations and demand), but the Navy SEALs did grow the like them, the rifle somewhat, but *particularly* the belt-fed light machinegun configuration, they had never had a belt-fed squad automatic weapon in 5.56mm before, and they thought it was just THE coolest fucking thing, because the recoil is nothing and you can carry so much ammunition. There were 100rd belt boxes, but later 150rd belt drums and 200rd custom belt boxes would be used.
Even as the project was cancelled, the Navy SEALS kept these in inventory, having done a bit of development on it, and keeping it as the Mark 23 Mod. 0 (not to be confused with the later .45 caliber pistol by Heckler & Koch, given the same designation, for some reason). They kept these in use until the 1980s, when it was finally replaced by the FN Minimi as the M249.
>>
File: It's Nerf or nothin'.jpg (855 KB, 5490x3102)
855 KB
855 KB JPG
The carbine and rifle configurations weren't of much importance, as they had M16s and CAR15s, but the beltfed LMG was very useful and very liked. It was a bit maintenance needy, and probably it could have been a better gun if they had dropped the multi configuration stuff early and instead focused on developing it solely as a SAW, but still it did pretty admirably.

In the machinegun configurations, it's remarkably easy and steady in its recoil, maintaining a sight picture during a long burst is trivial, part of this is probably some of the efforts to buffer/dampen the bolt going back and forth, the bolt carrier itself containing a setup with an array of Belleville washers which compress as it comes to the rear of the receiver, then flex back, along with the piston having a sliding tungsten rod inside of it, giving a sort of deadblow effect.
It uses a long-stroke piston, like an AKM, but a rotating bolt with radial lugs like the AR15 and AR18, built with a stamped steel body and plastic furniture.
Pictured here loaded with a belt of dummy cartridges, feed cover up. There was a setup for a left side feed, and a setup for a right side feed.

I actually found some pretty good sprites someone made of the Stoner 63, which I want to work over and do something with for some Doom thing, it's a pretty cool gun.
>>
File: 1629784033294.jpg (194 KB, 858x1612)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>
File: gothic.jpg (2.19 MB, 2600x3690)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
>>
File: E5C2GkoVoAMXdR_.jpg large.jpg (288 KB, 1680x1200)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
Well, got the other eye done last week, because that retina had to hurry up and do that now. Recovery feels rougher than last time, both in swelling and pain, and also the fact that now my pair of glasses don't fit either of my eyes in prescription anymore, so I can't see for shit now. I mean, the glasses help, a little, but I've still gotta be real close to read something.

I may try to make a level for the /vr/ Halloween Doom mapset, and I have a pretty firm idea for one, but I think I'll have to wait a while to start doing this shit, because I have to sit close as fuck to my screen to see, and the codeine makes me a little hazy.
Hopefully I can get back into the groove of making maps after that. Vaeros was kind enough to let me add some of my own textures to do it with, which I appreciate, though I wish others could add some of their own (just to see what they'd do), but also I hope I don't get stuck making textures and shit here.
>>
This screenshot isn't anything special to look at, but it's an early peek at my submission for the 2021 Halloween project on /doom/. It's a long way to go, but I have like 50 days to get it done, I have a good idea for a level, now it's just to carve the thing out, I feel maybe I can get over my mapper's block here.

As we're doing it in MBF21 compat, I figured I would finally have to transition towards Ultimate Doombuilder, which thankfully is not very different at all from the GzDoombuilder (bugfix) which I'm used to and have done my previous work in. A big bonus is that the 3D mode doesn't have the blurry linear filter to it like GZDB does.
MBF21 ("Modder's Best Friend 2021), is a new compat level for updated Boom ports, which fixes some ancient bugs (such as generalized walkover crusher actions doing nothing at all), and adds some new functions and features. It has a lot of things I've wanted since I started getting into mapping for real like a year ago, and I hope to be able to do even more fun levels with this.

Combine MBF21 with the new Universal MAPINFO format, and the Extended DeHacked, and Boom mapping is entering into a new renaissance, I'm so very excited for the future of cool Doom level making. Finally so many convenient and handy simple features are now available to a less advanced format which allows demo recording and play on low end machines, without having to be forcefully tied to GzDoom. I like GzDoom, but features like these should have been standard a very long time ago.
>>
File: sneekpeek.png (439 KB, 1790x626)
439 KB
439 KB PNG
Another sneak peek at my Halloween submission, haven't gotten much more done on it yet, because of other things (like a doctor's appointment). The new version of the texture pack is fixed up now, from being fucked up before, so that's nice. The guys even added some ambient sound effect stuff, which I think is gonna be really cool to play around with.

>>109310
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/hardfunv4
Updated link for this, btw, as they fixed that up a while ago. Definitely my .wad of the year.
>>
File: drowish.jpg (239 KB, 960x1343)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>
An old Colt Diamondback chambered for .22 Long Rifle, bearing some Pachmayr grips. Blued finish and with a 4" barrel.

This thing is probably extremely easy and pleasant to shoot, the Diamondback is essentially the Colt Python, just scaled down very slightly, and only available in .22 Long Rifle, .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum, and .38 Special, none of which is strong enough to beat up on the internals which hefty loads of .357 Magnum is wont to do in a Python, thus it's easy to find them in good working order.
These were a deluxe target shooting revolver in their day.

It's October now, so I have 29 days to finish my Halloween Doom map. Let's hope I do.
>>
File: misdreavus gijinka.jpg (116 KB, 700x1023)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
Almost a month with no update! I couldn't get a level done for the Halloween Project (dubbed Ad Mortem), deadline is tomorrow and it's not even remotely close to done. However, I like the concept for it and it already has some work done on it, so I think I'm going to continue working on it for a time and use it for another project.
We probably got a good amount of maps without mine anyway, at any rate.

I did contribute some guns though, which our chosen palette did a pretty rough number on (red and orange cut so sharply I had to do some dithering on the muzzle flashes so they wouldn't look like shit, and the greys, just WOW).
When the project is done, and once GzDoom properly supports the new extended DeHacked, I'll release a graphic's patch with truecolor .png sprites for Ad Mortem's guns.
>>
File: EIbakEZXUAA9EIx.jpg (411 KB, 1107x1919)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
Also, in light of an actual sequel to Metroid Fusion (apparently a good one), I guess this image is suitable. Almost interested in a Switch now, but the joycon drift puts me off, and honestly Nintendo just puts me off these days.

Paying an annual fee for completely shitty N64 emulation which barely works? Yeah, no thanks, I think that instead I will invest in a flashcart, and try to fix up one of my old gamepads. I also refuse to settle for some potentiometer analog stick piece of garbage for the N64, nothing but the original one feels right enough, and emulation is still shit.
Possibly I could invest in a memory expansion, if there's any interesting game which requires it or is better off for using it.
>>
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/125461-ad-mortem-a-mbf21-halloween-themed-megawad-beta/

/vr/'s latest Doom release, Ad Mortem, is in public beta. Apparently it's quite good, which is great to hear. I have yet to play it myself, because DehExtra doesn't yet work like it should in GzDoom, and none of the other ports have gamepad support worth fuckall, so that would mean that, for my shit eyesight and no new glasses still, I would have to lie down and have my laptop on the top of my chest, with an awkward Carpal Tunnel hand pose for WASD, to be able play, which I think I'll just not do. Whatever comes first, glasses or GzDoom, and I'll give it a play.

Vaeros wanted to continue building on the project and then do another run of levels next Halloween, which sounds good to me. Until then we can work out stuff like the weapons, and fix any existing bugs. I did some guns for Ad Mortem, pistol, shotguns, chaingun, rocket launcher (I'll post them here eventually, except for the pistol because I didn't really make it), Vaeros wanted to do magical weapons for the plasma rifle and BFG9000, but didn't have the time to implement them, so hopefully we can work that out, because it's a neat idea.
Maybe I could also provide an actual level or two as well in the meantime.
>>
File: gothic landscape.jpg (467 KB, 1303x2048)
467 KB
467 KB JPG
As I plan to get a better computer, I wonder if I should try to learn a new software which is better supported by Windows 10, or if I should stick with 2009 vintage Adobe Photoshop CS3 for making my sprites and textures.
On one hand, I know this shitty old software and I have a developed workflow, but on the other, it's kind of tedious to use because the cursors inexplicably don't render clearly.
>>
>>111490
Go and pirate CS6 Extended, it's easy as to do and should be quite similar in layout to your CS3, with all the new features and fixes.
>>
File: St. Basil's Cathedral.jpg (1.4 MB, 2560x1440)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
Finally got some new specs today, I can see crystal clear now, finally, though since these are only temporary until both my eyes have healed fully, I cheaped out and got the cheapest glass, and I feel already that I'm paying for that.
They're thick, and there's a pretty pronounced fisheye effect in the edges of my field of view, which is straining to deal with, but I'll just have to deal with it, it's only until next year sometime. Beats the fuck out of only being able to see clearly for like foot in front of me.

Anyway, here's a pretty winter photo of the St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. Can you believe the Bolsheviks wanted to tear this thing down? It boggles my mind that there's people who would look to destroy precious cultural treasures and works of art like these.

>>111513
Maybe I'll do that, kind stranger.
>>
File: 1357606311011.jpg (268 KB, 2200x1366)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
Cool publicity photo of Navy SEALs emerging in an amphibian assault during training. Note the H&K MP5SDs, which were favored by the SEALs for this exact (admittedly niche) application, not just for being fairly quiet guns, but also because the gun could still be safely fired even as there was still water remaining in the gun, still draining.

This is not something you can do with an AR15, as the gas tube or bolt carrier being full of water (which does not compress), will cause the gun to explode. This can be avoided by just waiting a second or two for the gun to drain its water, made faster by pulling the bolt back partway, and having a drain hole drilled in the bottom of the buffer tube isn't a bad idea. Still, with a gun like the MP5SD you don't need to do this, and being 9mm Luger can be subsonic, unlike 5.56mm NATO which is always supersonic, and does not really suppress well (for the purposes of stealth, anyway).

I think I'll blow through No Rest For The Living on UV as a refresher, I've gotten pretty rusty from not playing in a couple months, it should be short, but challenging. I'll throw on that .midi pack those dudes on Doomworld made, and maybe also some texture pack.
>>
File: deathmatch.png (1.55 MB, 1440x810)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
So Lowtax died. I didn't spend any time on SomethingAwful, and barely knew of the guy, but what I've learned about him makes him sound like a pretty shit person. I do know some about who Shmorky is however, and that Lowtax would hire him to babysit his kids, a lot, and by that measure, I understand completely how he lost the custody of those kids. That's some next level parental negligence.

Also, Rittenhouse walked free of all charges, and I'm so very happy for his sake, all evidence and witness testimony was so much in his favor, yet so many people rabidly clung to the news media lies, I was fearing that he'd be thrown to the wolves to appease the mob, yet justice prevailed. I wish the kid the best of luck in his life.
Of note, his rifle had failed to go fully into battery after shooting Huber, noticing that, he used the forward-assist to seat the bolt all the way to allow it to fire, and just in time to shoot Grosskreutz, who had feigned surrender and taken aim at him, had Rittenhouse not done this, he would almost certainly been unable to stop Grosskreutz from shooting and killing him.
>>
Here's a goofy thing. The Ruger Charger is a pistol variant of Ruger's fabled 10/22, a simple and reliable blowback gun shooting .22 Long Rifle. The Ruger Charger has no shoulder stock, and is often sold with a bipod attached, the idea is that the Charger is used for shooting from a bench for certain sports.

This one has a custom grip-stock which emulates the look and form of an antique flintlock pistol, complete with a ramrod under the barrel. It's a little silly, lacking sights, but I greatly appreciate the novelty of the thing, and with the original flush fitting BX-10 magazine (holding 10 rounds), this pistol looks rather sleek.
This thing would be heaps of fun with a magazine of tracers and a full-auto conversion, just walk rapid 10rd bursts on target (tin cans, obviously), like some sort of retarded cousin to the M231 Firing Port Weapon
>>
File: Samus Aran, M60.jpg (701 KB, 3204x2578)
701 KB
701 KB JPG
Here's an image I don't really know why it exists, but it's nice anyway: Samus Aran firing an M60E2 machinegun.
>>
File: Kane Robertss.jpg (62 KB, 1000x750)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
Photo of Kane Roberts, a heavy metal guitarist big in the 80s, his shtick was being built and muscled as fuck, as well as having electric guitars styled to look like machineguns (sometimes having pyrotechnics attached to them for visuals). He has a very distinct sound, you can hear him play in the Alice Cooper albums Raise Your Fist And Yell, Raise Your Fist And Yell, and Trash, and he's done some solo stuff.
>>
>>112244
Boy, my dumb ass wrote Raise Your Fist And Yell two times, he was on Constrictor, also.
>>
I remember playing this level, but not where it's from. It uses mostly stock textures, and well, and was fairly fun to play.

I've had some mapper's block for a while, but now I'm getting a real urge for something. Guys at /doom/ has been talking about 94 Protons Of /vr/, a Plutonia style mapping project, which we'd take on, and I'm feeling the compulsion to be the one to start it off, head it even.
There's some preliminary work which needs to be done (and some responsibilities I need to honor first), I'm gathering some textures, and I think maybe I'll even do a few levels to start out with. With the freedom of UMAPINFO, I'm thinking we will divide it up into three episodes, which can be just about whatever length, but 5 or 6 maps each sounds good.

One thing I realize which we all need to do, is to sit down and play through the original Plutonia just before we start, so we can get a proper feel for the style. If you look at other fan sequels, such as Plutonia 2, that one is a classic and I love it, but it also kind of gets Plutonia wrong in a lot of ways because many of the levels are long winding and huge, when in fact the majority of Plutonia's levels are actually fairly modest in size and short, they were quick and intense arcade blasthathons.
Thus I'm thinking most of the levels need to be brief and not that big (with 2048x2048 as a suggestion, but not a rule), and then maybe we have just one big and long map per episode. Consider Map 29 of the original Plutonia, which is a sprawling city streets map, and one of the highlights of the campaign.

On that note, Dario Casali actually showed up on Doomworld, and did a playthrough of Plutonia 2 and the original Plutonia. It was interesting to hear his thoughts on PL2 as well as some tidbits from the development of Plutonia. Wonder if Milo would ever show and give his own input?
>>
File: Hail To The King.jpg (218 KB, 1080x1590)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
Merry Christmas. Let's roll and see what fortune I get.

Your fortune: Bah! Humbug.
>>
File: caco's delivery service.jpg (721 KB, 1200x848)
721 KB
721 KB JPG
Well, one more try.

Your fortune: Your heart grew three sizes!
>>
File: rebecca-cheerleader.jpg (184 KB, 1145x1920)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>112772
Well, that's not good.

Speaking of what's not good, but also not strictly bad, either, is Resident Evil Zero. Rebecca is cute as a button, and the environments are very pretty, but the AI partner gimmick feels pretty tacked on and underdeveloped, the monsters and bosses are kind of eh, with puzzles which just aren't that engaging. The game isn't hard or confusing, but at times feels tedious, particularly the new inventory management, where you just fucking drop shit on the floor, instead of putting it in a box, even if storage wasn't gonna be centralized like before, at least provide a box to put things in and for sorting with.

Plot was never smart with this series, but it usually manages to be at least lightly engaging (in those days, anyway). Leechman wasn't, also the first time he comes to attack you, I didn't even realize that had happened, I hear some noise, there's sudden danger music, Billy fires a few shots, and just as the camera angle switches around, I manage to MAYBE catch a glimpse of a human shape which explodes/dissipates, and I took a little bit of damage, then it's over. What's supposed to surprise me, instead came out as just a "Huh, what was that?"

It's the one Resident Evil game which I just didn't feel the need to play again after beating.

Your fortune: Blessed Yule!
>>
File: 1362984616407.jpg (1.91 MB, 2818x3661)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
New Year and all, bumping. Seems mods left the XMas on at /vip/, but I guess that's our privilege.

Been busy compiling and making assets for 94 Protons Of /vr/. Mostly adding neat textures and flats from the Doom beta stuff, but also more. I figure that we don't have to adhere too rigidly to the original Plutonia aesthetic, since it has been done, and I think people oughta play a bit with their imagination.
The important part is short and tough maps, and something that fits Plutonia's "grit" if that makes any sense (it does not).

>inb4 nobody uses my textures and it's a waste of time
>>
File: miyamoto.jpg (68 KB, 960x900)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Well, the fucking Christmas hat was there in this tab just now, so either it was just still in memory somehow, and I'm a retard, or Callahan scared it off.
>>
File: steamboat epic.png (601 KB, 439x1189)
601 KB
601 KB PNG
Bumping, I guess also some actual devblogging for once.
I have some stuff to get done before I can start off 94 Protons Of /vr/, but it shouldn't be TOO much work:

>Textures
Mostly done, then I've just gotta load them into the .wad, as well as handle the tedious bullshit that is Boom's Animated lumps.

>Props
Primarily I have to put together some suitable jungle trees and jungle bushes for the Congo jungle, I have some ideas on how to do that. I also want to add a couple of more corpse/gore decorations, just for variety's sake and some slight visual storytelling, there was a bunch of readily usable sprites on R667 so that saves time.

>Guns
Cosmetic stuff. I just really want to make a Chaingun replacement which has a slick and rhythmic *RATATATATA* sound to it, like in that way old Osiris Total Conversion, and some old fashioned looking subgun to go with it. This will be my third open-bolt subgun done for a /vr/ project now, guess I just like them old banana-slamma gun designs.
For the pistol I'll just do the lazy thing and make that same old 1911 but black, for the shotgun I think something like an Ithaca 37 with a full length magazine tube can work. Kinda wanna do a knife for the fist. I have a lot of suitable stuff to work on already as a basis, so this shouldn't be too time demanding.

>Final Boss
The one thing I want to do which stands out from the regular Doom gameplay, having a boss at the end which you have to actually fight, and which can easily kick your ass, even if you're walking in with a charged up BFG9000.

>Plasma Zombie
Toying with the idea, some anon suggested it, and some were interested, but some weren't, and I'm not entirely convinced it's necessary.

I'm thinking stuff like the boss, props, and the new weapons could be done with DehExtra, which should be compatible with Boom ports and GzDoom, as opposed to the more advanced and capable DsDeHacked, which still isn't properly supported by GzDoom, or any other port besides DSDA.
>>
File: hipower eagle grips.jpg (1.7 MB, 3456x2304)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
A Browning Hi-Power pistol featuring some kyrinite grip panels from Eagle Grips. Surprisingly good looking, combining a shiny dark blue finish with shiny dark grips.

Speaking of the Hi-Power, Springfield Armory just came out with a clone of it, the SA-35. Looks vaguely ok, but has kind of a cheap matte finish which looks kind of dull with the wood grips. Hear they have had some hiccups with those things.
Just recently, FN Herstal came out with a 'modernized' version of the Hi-Power as well. Has a 17rd magazine, which is nice, and that's about all the nice things I can say about it. Don't care much for the modern wide slide serrations, the lack of a rail, and I'm curious as to why it has no parts compatibility with the normal Hi-Power pistols. It's also about twice as expensive as Springfield Armory's take on it.

I'm only kind of modestly impressed at these reintroductions, but I guess that it's also very nice to see a modern all steel single-action pistol with a big magazine.
>>
File: 14348050_1.jpg (78 KB, 1024x690)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Must bump.

This is basically the pistol I had in mind for 94 Protons Of /vr/, a Commander 1911 (ergo it has a 4" barrel and accordingly shortened slide), and it's a private sidearm '94guy' acquires as he enters Congo as a mercenary.

It'd be an old and 'crusty' one too, made from a Colt Series 70 type Commander slide, a Colt 1991A1 full sized frame that was cracked at some point, then rewelded with the dustcover shortened to match the slide. At one point the gun was rusted bad, so it was cleaned up, polished, and reblued, so the markings are somewhat faint. The grips are an old style of Pachmayr Signature wraparound rubber grips.

The grip safety is pinned down to allow for a higher grip with better recoil control, as well as letting the gun be fired with less than perfect hold if needed. To make the pistol drop-safe, it has a titanium firing pin and a skeletonized trigger made out of aluminum.
The rear sight is akin to a Novak style ramp, only bearing a white half-square outline in place of two dots (imagine like you'd see on some Glocks), the front sight is a pretty typical square post, but dehorned and given a dot of white glow in the dark paint, then sealed with a polymer coat. The hammer is an old Commander style 'ring' profile, and the grip safety has the short style of beavertail to match.

It's overall not the a great racegun or a deluxe piece or anything, it's basically built from spare parts and has had a long and hard life, but it keeps trucking, it served someone else well once in the past, before they parted with it for whatever reason, and ends up in your (the player's) hands. It's good enough to rely on when a pistol is needed.
>>
File: sewer.jpg (391 KB, 954x607)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
Been working a bunch of 94 Protons assets, but much of (the new assets) are still in an unfinished state and not worth showing yet.

So I'll just bump with this cool picture of a sewer canal instead, I like how the two small dark tunnels, big arch above, and the reflection on the water, create the illusion of a skull.
I'll post a few other nice things too.
>>
File: Nagant Revolver.jpg (331 KB, 1280x960)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
The 1895 Nagant as adopted by Imperial Russia was a bit of an odd one. It's double-action, single-action, with a unique sealing system and a special cartridge designed to facilitate it.

The 7.62x38mmRG Nagant cartridge may have a reputation for being particularly weak, but much of that reputation comes from much later commercial target shooting loads, the actual old Imperial load has energy roughly comparable to .38 Special, so it's actually not that bad in that department. What makes it stand out visually is that the cartridge is 'uncircumcized' as some would say, in that the brass casing is extra long and the projectile is seated deep inside it (a bit like a wadcutter, actually), with either a slight taper past the projectile, or an odd little curled 'crimp' which leaves a distinct lip on the mouth of the case.

The idea of this cartridge design is to exploit the obturation qualities of brass, the casing continues out the front of the chamber, and then the gun's action cams the cylinder forward as the hammer is gonna drop, where the brass expands out into the forcing cone as the cartridge fires, tightly sealing and leaving no cylinder gap. The purpose of this is to increase velocity, but in reality it doesn't make a huge difference and is honestly pointless from that perspective, also making for a single-action trigger which is bearable, though stiff, but a DA trigger which is legendarily heavy.

Famously, an unintended benefit of this stupid system is that it makes for a 7 shot handgun which one can put a silencer on, and it can be very, VERY quiet. The later Soviet NKVD would use 1895 revolvers with custom made silencers for some of their shady dealings.
Beyond that, it's a workable handgun, assuming a supply of ammunition, and it's best used in single-action for any kind of effective accuracy, but the reload is a bit like a Colt 1873 if it was fucking retarded, so like the German Reichsrevolver, it's not something you'd stop to reload if you could help it.
>>
File: Galand'_revolver.jpg (466 KB, 844x782)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
Russia's first smokeless revolver being the 1895 Nagant (which is the only type of Nagant revolver which has the gas-seal setup), is almost upsetting if one considers that the blackpowder revolvers they used before were .44 caliber Smith & Wesson top-break revolvers and .36 caliber Galand revolvers, two revolvers which actually have a very fast and convenient reload (both in their own ways).

The Smith & Wesson was a Model 3, a top-break revolver, the Galand which I can only describe by pointing at this image and extolling its virtues, using the trigger-guard as a lever to cam the front of the gun forward and really giving you leverage on extraction (which can be sticky with old blackpowder cartridges like these, particularly at sea).

Russia had bought and licensed these, also engaging in their own production. For their era, they were very good, and I think that ether of them could have served as the basis for a much better handgun than the 1895 Nagant, imagine either of these two older revolvers as a double-action kind with a 4" or 5" barrel, and built for a smokeless cartridge comparable to .38 Special or 8mm Gasser. They would have remained competitive into WW2.

I know handguns don't actually matter very much at all for any kind of remotely modern military context, they just have to be a handgun, but by that logic they could have stuck with just doing smokeless loads for the revolvers they had. It's just going from among the best to among the worst.
I guess they had the Tokarev pistols later on.
>>
File: Maxim 1910 7.62x54mmR.jpg (568 KB, 1920x1200)
568 KB
568 KB JPG
This Pulemyot Maxima PM1910/30, is one of those really oldschool machineguns, a Russian licensed build of the venerable Maxim design.

What you have is a short-recoil action with a toggle-lock, so mechanically these guns actually have a lot in common with the fabled Luger pistol, just belt-fed and scaled up for big and powerful rifle cartridges, this one being Russian is in the 7.62x54mmR Nagant cartridge, naturally, and being the 1930s upgrade, its water cooling jacket has a big lid on top, the idea being that in an emergency, you can take a bunch of snow off the ground and shovel it into the jacket and it'll help cool the gun.
The idea with these old machineguns is that since they can fire as long as you hold down the trigger, they should obviously be capable of firing for all of eternity, thus they feed from belts, either canvas ones or linked metal ones, depending on model, and they have a thin barrel that's submerged in a tank of water. As the barrel gets hot as fuck from firing, the water absorbs that heat, so what happens is that the barrel itself never gets hotter than the boiling point of water, as long as there IS water, and that's actually not very hot at all for a firearm, thus you don't have to worry about premature wear or loaded cartridges cooking off. This means if you have a supply of water, a supply of ammunition in belts, you can keep firing and firing until you run out of of one of them, it will never overheat.

There were setups for recapturing some of the evaporated water as it turned to steam (a rubber hose piping the steam to a jerrycan where it can recondense), and if really needed, the crew could use their piss, with the smelly consequences that entailed. These guns were also built strong to handle this volume of fire, so they basically never ever wore out, therefore these kinds of guns were also VERY expensive.

Russia actually kept making these until 1945, and many armed forces kept them around for a while after WW2.
>>
File: Vickers-Maxim-gun.jpg (239 KB, 1600x976)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
Here's the British Vickers-Maxim version, obviously chambered for the .303 British cartridge. The British kept these in service all the way up until the 1960s, because they remained useful enough for area denial, but lighter mortars could fill this role better.

Taking them out of service, they decided to do a final endurance test with one gun, checking it over with mics an gauges, then proceeded to put an enormous supply of ammunition through, something like 3.5 Million .303 cartridges, over more than a week, just rattling away non-stop, people carrying ammo, shoveling away spent casings with snow shovels, supplying more water and barrels. After the end of this endurance test, mics and gauges showed no changes or wear at all anywhere in the gun.

These guns still get around out there in the world on occasion, being a functioning machinegun, they get used in guerilla warfare and insurgencies because they're captured from old armories, and hey, if there's ammo and belts, may as well use one of these for a defensive position, while more modern and lightweight guns get used for more mobile roles.
>>
File: 15841138.jpg (55 KB, 503x523)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
My god, the new computer is finally here, feels like it took ages for it to arrive! For numerous reasons I'll need it to eventually get proper work done on 94 Protons Of /vr/, but now comes to process of moving all my stuff onto this new external drive, and then onto my new machine, which also needs configuring.

This will take some days and I won't really be able to use my computers for much editing or spriting during, so I guess I'll just plow through Plutonia on my PS4 during, that refresher is critical at any rate.
>>
File: Photoshop CS6.png (263 KB, 1920x1080)
263 KB
263 KB PNG
>>111513
Whoever you were recommending that, it's quite an upgrade.
>dark interface option
>cursors actually render correctly
>fullscreen mode

It says a lot that a software which was new 10 years ago is an exciting upgrade to me.
>>
File: M56 Yugo 7.62mm.jpg (1.41 MB, 1200x1203)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
The Yugoslavian M56 looks on the surface like it's derived from the German MP40, and the form factor is much the same, that's what they were looking for, but it's different in a lot of ways. Mechanically, it's a bit closer to the Italian Beretta subguns of the era.

While lacking the MP40's nicely contained recoil spring assembly, and not having quite as nice ergonomics, the M56 has a particularly long receiver, in which the bolt itself never actually reaches to impact the back of it, instead slowing down until the spring shoves it forward again. This 'constant-recoil' setup, comparable to guns like the Swedish m/45b, makes the recoil impulse extremely gentle, and this gun is very easy to control in full-auto as a result. It also uses a magazine with a two-position feed, unlike the MP40's single position feed magazines, so they're similar to the Russian PPS-43 subgun's, but not interchangeable, and holding 32rds instead of 35rds.

There's some quirks to the design, the stock is almost a little bit short, the pistol-grip is kind of square feeling, and if you want to grip the gun out on the front like the MP40, it gets a little bit hot (but the magazine is also not as delicate or flimsy so it tolerates that better), however you'll do just fine using the handguard behind the magwell. The ejection port is also on the top, rather than the side, and it ejects pretty much straight up into the air, thus you'll get those 7.62mm Tokarev casings coming back down on you, which doesn't hurt, but it can be distracting if you're not used to it.
It's possible to not quite fully assemble it all the way after disassembly, leading to a situation where the receiver could pop open during shooting, which would be very dangerous, but as long as you mind to do it correctly, it's fine. At some point they found that the plastic lower could crack in particularly harsh cold, and the fix for this was to bolt in a little block of wood inside of it (I don't know why this worked, but it did).
>>
File: Zastava M56, Bayonet.png (2.01 MB, 1536x707)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB PNG
Better image, which shows the stock unfolded and the bayonet affixed.

Yes, another feature of the M56 is its bayonet lug, and it had its very own little bayonet. The bolt can be locked in the rear or forward position by manipulating the tab on the charging handle, as well, which echoes the Russian PPSh-41 a little, locking it forward would be the safe way to carry it loaded.
I believe also that the grooves around the front and rear of the bolt may have been intended to catch accumulating dirt, a bit like the laterally ridged receiver on the German MP38, or the spiral grooves around the bolt on the British L2A1 Sterling, how well that actually worked I can't speak for.

I've been working away on the assets for 94 Protons Of /vr/ in all this time, too, it's just that a bunch of stupid shit happened in sequence just recently, so I had to focus on other things. I'm nothing if not slow.
>>
When Karl Dönitz announced Germany's resignation in May of 1945, surrendering German forces around Europe, the garrisoned forces in occupied Norway (mostly) did much the same. The war was over, and German soldiers and collaborators turned in their arms in droves.

Norway, once again free, looked at much of these armaments now in their possession and decided that this was some pretty good stuff, and they could plain take them as part of reparations, then issue it to their own rebuilding armed forces. Aside from many pistols, there were subguns which they didn't really have that many of before, admittedly in 9mm Luger, instead of their .45 Auto (Norway being one of the few countries outside of America which adopted the 1911 pistol and its large bore cartridge), but these were still good and usable, filling a purpose.
As well as those, there were machineguns, new and good ones, but they were in 7.92mm Mauser, not their standard 6.5mm Mauser. Looking at these machineguns, it probably was decided that they would be worth adopting, and then they would also adopt the K98k as their new rifle, slightly more modern than their Krag Jorgensen rifles, but more importantly sharing the same cartridge as the machineguns, and they had more than enough to rearm everyone.

At some point, the idea was investigated to transition towards the .30-06 Springfield cartridge, as they would be able to receive it as military aid from the United States in large quantities, and a few thousand K98k rifles were rebarreled for it, however it didn't go all that much further from there. Once NATO became a thing, the idea was floated to rebarrel these old Mausers to 7.62mm NATO for reservists, and a couple few thousand rifles were converted, yet again this didn't go much further, reservists seemed to just have been stuck with using the existing 7.92mm Mauser stockpiles.

These .30 caliber converted Mauser rifles are floating around in Scandinavia still to this day.
>>
File: Spanish FR-8 Rifle.jpg (3.46 MB, 4032x3024)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB JPG
Spain was another country going for NATO standardization, and were the very first to develop and adopt the CETME Modelo 58, ergo the very first iteration of what most people now think of as the Heckler & Koch Gewehr 3.

They had all these old Mauser rifles around still, though, and mostly 98 action ones, some being 93 actions. Transitioning towards 7.62mm NATO, they get that idea to convert their old Mauser rifles to the new cartridge, and then having it as the stopgap rifle while the army is busy arming up with the new CETME rifle. Enter the FR-7 (Mauser 93 action) and FR-8 (Mauser 98 action).
Not just rebarreled for 7.62mm NATO, they have a slightly shorter barrel than before, also bearing the flash hider of the CETME rifle, along with an imitation cocking-tube under the barrel (which you can store some cleaning gear inside of), all to enable the use of the standard CETME bayonet as well as standard 22mm NATO rifle grenades. The new sights are also meant to imitate those of the CETME.

The resulting rifle is light, somewhat loud, but quite functional, and compatible with the 7.62mm NATO and 7.62mm CETME cartridges (the latter being a somewhat lighter load Spain aimed for initially, before deciding to just go for the regular one anyway).
>>
So Ukraine received some interesting surplus armaments from Poland a few weeks back, the RPG-76 'Komar' (Mosquito)

An obscure rocket launcher, Poland being the only user, and unlike most other weapons of its kind. Rather than working as a recoilless rifle and venting blast out back through a venturi, the rocket instead has jets jutting out the sides in four positions and pointing backwards at an angle, starting at a relatively low pressure and then building up as it travels (so as reduce initial blasting).
To use it, you unfold its stock, shoulder it, one hand around the front of the stock, another on the rear of the body of the launcher. Then you take aim use the electric trigger which is unveiled when the stock is unfolded, there's a not insignificant blast to your sides, but as long as nobody is standing right next to you (and you grip it properly), you're good.

Not venting out back is what allows it to have something like a stock as you'd see on a subgun, meaning you can fold this rocket launcher up and have a very short and convenient package easy to store and carry. As it is a single use launcher made out of aluminum, it can be made thin and light as it only has to safely sustain one firing, so it's 4lbs while still loaded.

Poland had actually retired these launchers from front-line use in the early 2000s as the light warhead wasn't able to defeat modern tanks, but as they sent units to Iraq and Afghanistan, these things were brought out again, and it was realized that there's quite a lot of other things to blow up on the battlefield which aren't big bad tanks, such as lighter armored vehicles or fortifications (and the lack of direct backblast made it friendly to fire out of windows and out of vehicles, as long as you clear the 'muzzle' end).

This thing looks awkward and like not much to the world at first glance, but learning about it, I came away very impressed. It's remarkably compact for its class.
>>
File: pixel cleaner.png (10 KB, 121x210)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
So I'm finally 'That 30 Year Old Doomer' now. Yay, I guess.
>>
File: 4h6zj88290ea1rnt0hj3.jpg (325 KB, 2048x643)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
Angsting about age aside, let's talk about guns.

This is the Norinco MAK-90 (semi-auto sporter variant of the Type-56, the Chinese copy of the AK), but this is a different one. Most of the MAK-90 line was made with a stamped sheet steel receiver of varying configurations, mainly differing in the rear of the receiver, featuring either a straight rear trunnion like normal Russian AKs, the slanted one like most Chinese AKs and older Russian AKs, and an outright diagonal one, like on the Norinco Hunter. If you want to put a proper stock and pistol grip onto a MAK-90, the kind of receiver it has makes all the difference.

A small number of early MAK-90s were however made in Factory 386, the Norinco concern facility where the PolyTech Legend line was produced. The PolyTech Legend line was intended as a deluxe product, with Kalashnikov rifles in various configurations and calibers being made to a high standard with lots of effort put into fit and finish. They made PolyTech Legend rifles as both stamped and milled receiver rifles, and these early MAK-90s ended up being milled ones.

These early 386 MAK-90s weren't made to that exact same standard as the Poly-Tech Legend line, but they're definitely a good cut above normal MAK-90s, and notable for having good triggers and a bolt that feels pretty smooth as you manipulate it back and forth. They don't fetch as much as the nicer rifles, but people who know what they are will be willing to pay more for them than a normal Norinco AK.
If one wanted to have an oldschool milled 7.62mm AK of nice quality, but not so nice that you would be afraid to shoot it, these specific rifles would be great for that, and it's not that hard to find a proper pistolgrip and stock, as well as the suitable slant-cut muzzlebrake.
>>
File: MAK90 Spiker Conversion.jpg (282 KB, 1000x563)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
Actually, scratch the slant-cut muzzlebrake, that's an AKM feature, not an AK feature.
Anyway, here's such an early MAK-90 converted into proper military configuration, appropriate stock and grip, as well as the folding spike bayonet. Very stylish and old fashioned.
>>
File: doublefolder polytech.jpg (3.9 MB, 3750x3750)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
Here's a PolyTech Legend rifle itself. Aside from still using the same cheap yellow wood as in normal Norinco brand production (stained darker for some models), these rifles are very finely put together examples of the Kalashnikov. The trigger breaks like an icicle and the bolt feels like it's running on oiled glass.

This one is a rare "double-folder" variant. Going after PLA configurations, a Type-56 with a fixed stock would have the typical Chinese folding spike bayonet, while one with an underfolding stock would instead have a separate knife bayonet.
A "double-folder" such as this was never a standard issued weapon in the PLA, and very few commercial rifles were made this way

This one is in excellent condition (perhaps even unfired). You can really see that this rifle is made to a much finer standard than the early milled MAK-90, which falls inbetween the PolyTech and the regular Norinco sporters.
>>
File: samus back.png (505 KB, 570x948)
505 KB
505 KB PNG
Bumping. Felt like shit yesterday, but I've made peace with the limited range of foliage green colors in Doom's palette.
>>
File: BRN180 SBR.jpg (3.02 MB, 3840x2160)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
So this isn't really news, but Brownell's did a cool thing, they made an AR18 upper for an AR15 lower receiver, the BRN-180.

"So what?" one may say, "There's already piston ARs." but after I'll slap you on the mouth, I'll explain that this is better than some insipid H&K or Sig Sauer inbred rifle where a short-stroke piston is crudely grafted onto an AR15 action (because Germans are too autistic to just take the AR15 BCG apart occasionally for cleaning), as this is a proper AR18 action, and by all accounts, a robust and well put together one.

It's got the short-stroke piston, and the rotating bolt, but more importantly it has the square-ish bolt-carrier riding on two steel guide-rods with two springs, and it's made to fit on typical AR15 lower receivers and to function with the typical AR15 fire control groups. Not only does this make for a more robust BCG (the H&K HK416 being prone to wearing out bolts faster than M16s), but it also avoids problems such as carrier tilt and also allows the use of a folding stock without having to reposition the recoil assembly in some retarded manner like the Sig MCX or LR300 rifles, producing excess recoil.

For those who want a more classic AR18 look, they do have that special lower receiver which bears that single forward slant profile, as well as a stock modeled after the original plastic folding stock (neither pictured). There's the short and long uppers, as well as options for .300BLK, hopefully they'll do something cool like .458 Socom or .50 Beowulf some day, just for the fun of it. Hopefully MagPul or some company like that makes a nice plastic fore-end for these guns as well.
>>
File: 94guy-blows.gif (351 KB, 512x614)
351 KB
351 KB GIF
94 Protons Of /vr/ is now go. There's really no good excuse for the wait, but it's finally in gear.
>>>/vr/8995551

Making a set of sprites for Doom's HUD face was pretty easy. Then I get to thinking, some of the console versions of Doom (Jaguar, 3DO, PSX) features a special animation for if the player gets gibbed, showing the face exploding, could I implement that, and more importantly, could I edit the existing frames to match the 94guy?
And yes, I could, the editing was actually the easiest part, and was very fast (and even fun) to do, I even touched up the gore a bit to improve the animation a little. Changing the hair color, adding in the sideburns, recoloring the irises, showing the glasses breaking and flying off, etc. The code was a little bit more complex, but with some helpful assistance it worked.

94 Protons has these frames already, by default they do nothing at all and aren't shown, but the little patch makes the default GzDoom HUD use these frames if they're present, and I also made a patch for my favorite HUD mod, NC-HUD.
These aren't dependent on 94 Protons and would work with any .wad/.pk3 which features the named frames in question, so if you added the 3DO/Jaguar frames, or any custom face set which has the suitable frames, it'll display.

SBARINFO, the older system which was used for defining things like these in ZDoom ports, was not actually fully deprecated and replaced by ZScript as I had thought, apparently it's still used for the HUD face and its animation frames, and it's also the only part of SBARINFO which is 'additive', meaning you don't need to rewrite/include an entire status bar for just these changes (anything else would, which I imagine is one of the reasons Combine Kegan loathes working with it).
Like with 2048 Units Of /vr/, it feels like I'm learning a lot from this stuff.
>>
The CETME Ameli MG82 is a Spanish Squad Automatic Weapon chambered for 5.56mm NATO and using the same M27 links as the FN Minimi (M249), Daewoo K3, and IMI Negev.

Externally, it resembles the Rheinmetal MG3 (postwar MG42 chambered for 7.62mm NATO), and though it shares some design elements, and copies the feed tray and feed cover, rather than using a short-recoil action where the barrel recoils with the bolt locked into it with rollers, the Ameli has a fixed barrel and operates with roller-delayed blowback. Akin to the MG3, there's the option between a lightweight bolt and a heavyweight bolt for a low (850rpm) and high (1200rpm) cyclic rate.
As it's not recoil operated, it does not have the MG3/MG42's boosting muzzle, and being roller-delayed blowback, the chamber is fluted to ensure proper extraction.

There's existed some different options for top-covers, some which have a mount for a British SUSAT optic, and a much less common one which lets you use CETME Model L rifle magazines (essentially M16 magazines), which also has a rear sight tower on it, offset to the right, as the magazine now obscures the normal rear sight, with a corresponding front-sight being part of the magazine well.
The carry handle has the raised rear sight in it, as the action and stock is in-line, and the carry handle is actually the handle for the barrel as well, you swap the barrels by unlocking the front part of the carry handle and then twisting and lifting it out.

It's a cool looking gun, and it's somewhat liked by Spanish soldiers, as a weapon with barely any recoil and ammo that doesn't weigh much (and a machinegun that only weighs 12lbs!), but it's not enjoyed so much in practice, as the build and material quality is supposed to be pretty poor. Ameli guns used by Spanish marines had reinforcement welds done to them, which solves some of the problems, but not all.
>>
File: mexican-army-ameli.jpg (780 KB, 1600x1200)
780 KB
780 KB JPG
The CETME Ameli is a very interesting and cool machinegun which could have been quite a lot better than it ended up being, if not for cost cutting and bad manufacturing (apparently many parts will not interchange freely). Probably it would have been pretty successful if executed right, because the concept is ironclad.
Mexico and Malaysia bought some of these guns, but who knows if they use them at all anymore, probably not given their problems.

The gun has this late Cold War charm to it which I like, akin to the Stoner 63 / Mk.23 Mod. 0
Video showing one firing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8LcS1J31es
>>
File: psg hitchhike.jpg (743 KB, 1922x2590)
743 KB
743 KB JPG
Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt is getting a second season, after all these years. Goddamn, 2010, I was like 17-18 when this show came out, I remember watching it on LiveStream and shit. Never thought we'd see this day after all this time.

The cool cartoony style, crude lowbrow humor, and the cute girls always stuck in my mind, but I had forgotten that the show actually had some extremely sweet music too.
https://youtu.be/VBF8uA3UJ6w
Let's hope they get the same musicians and the same seiyuus. Some people say this show was better seen dubbed, but I think those people are honestly fucking plebs with no taste.
>>
File: 1656820892869.gif (2.78 MB, 640x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB GIF
https://youtu.be/SdF6b8dIh4g
Some of this music was genuinely beautiful, goddamn.
>>
File: american bear.png (838 KB, 891x1005)
838 KB
838 KB PNG
Happy Fourth July, if that's still the date in the U.S of A
Regretfully, I must inform that I did not have time to eat hamburgers this time.
>>
Actually, it seems I still have about 3 or 4 hours left, so I think I'll go and cook some hamburgers now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vF8N9sfe7U

Here's the cover for the NES port of Burger Time. It's a fun little game.
>>
File: 1657260623409.jpg (38 KB, 738x303)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
So former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe has been assassinated, shot at 9ft with a home made gun.

Rather than the politics or motives, I'll just look at the gun itself, it was interesting to see the first images on social media and trying to make out what it actually was. The first footage was low resolution and fuzzy, and it was difficult to make out, but it looked like a very bulky gun, initially I think maybe a chunky 3D printed affair with embedded steel pipes, but with better photos it comes out as something far more crude.

The barrels are a pair of steel plumbing pipes, or similar, attached to a base with a grip all made from a plank of wood, using zip-ties and black electrical tape. The barrels seem to have solid rears, and like it would be loaded from the muzzle, and there also appears to be some sort of battery pack attached to the underside, with wires going into the chambers. Seemingly the ignition is electric, possibly made from something such as an electric BBQ lighter, or just about anything else which can make a simple arc.

The propellant could be a wide number of things, match heads (solid or ground up), ground up fireworks, potassium chlorate and sugar, even true and traditional blackpowder (in which case you could skip something like a primary load and just use electricity for touching it off, like here). The large volume of white smoke with each shot suggests a propellant such as blackpowder. Projectiles could be anything, lead fishing weights, lead airgun pellets, steel ball bearings, someone even suggested Pachinko Balls.

Weapons of similar construction were recovered from the assassin's home, with two larger ones bearing five and nine barrels. All in all, these guns and their ammunition are made from common hardware store materials and other innocuous off the shelf items, stuff you can find all around the world and which only takes someone modestly technically minded to put together.
>>
File: draco folder.png (987 KB, 1024x576)
987 KB
987 KB PNG
For something more professionally made, here's a Romanian Draco, imported to America as a semi-automatic pistol, then registered as an SBR, being fitted with the old fashioned AKS underfolding stock, and then a Romanian vertical front-grip, colloquially referred to as a 'Donkey Dong' in the US.

I'm not usually a fan of the Romanian 'dong' foregrip, it doesn't really jive with the lines on full length AKs in my opinion (particularly the slanted AKM brake), but in this short carbine format with the 'stubby' front end, it looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing.
These kind of stocks are never the most pleasant for shooting, but they really are very compact, and they neatly clear the 30rd magazine and vertical foregrip like these to fold up.

The Draco originally is a short carbine variant of the local Romanian AKM family, designated "PM md. 90", bearing a gas-block with a combined front-sight, and then the side-folding wire stock as you'd typically see on Romanian and East German AKMs during the Warsaw Pact days. Compare to the Yugoslavian M92 carbine, and its semi-automatic 'pistol' counterpart, as well as the Russian AKs-74u. The rear tangent sight is actually changed to reflect the shorter range, being adjustable up to (the still optimistic) 500 meters, as opposed to the typical 1000 meters of regular Romanian AKs.

This one is the classic 7.62x39mm, but there were some 5.56x45mm ones imported to the US (probably a commercial invention by Cugir). This gun lacks the typical birdcage or slotted, conical flash-hider of the original military PM md. 90 models, but apparently just a nut on a threaded muzzle wasn't unusual on the originals.
>>
What may be supposed to be the later 5.45x39mm counterpart, the PM md. 94, sometimes referred to as a "Short" AIMR-74. This was actually not a Romanian military carbine, but a semi-automatic gun made for the European commercial market.

Romanian rifles typically did not feature the dimple for the magwell, but apparently they would have for this caliber and this time period, the turned up charging handle is an interesting detail, brings to mind the one on the Israeli Galil rifles. I have no idea if the charging handle is authentic, I have never seen this on any other AK before.

What is authentic is however the folding stock, typical for later Romanian guns, and Romania did not pursue bakelite magazines, instead making them in stamped steel, like 7.62x39mm AKM magazines.
>>
File: calico22pistol.png (811 KB, 1024x1124)
811 KB
811 KB PNG
Bumping again.

The Calico M-100P has nothing particularly noteworthy going on about its action, it's, straight blowback, basically an upside down Ruger 10/22 action. What makes it interesting is the magazine, which holds 100 rounds of .22 Long Rifle, the followers in the magazine forming a helix, hence the term 'helical magazine', which is almost like a drum stretched front to back.
These guns can be slightly temperamental because of their complex magazines, but if you use hot and good quality ammo like CCI Stingers, clean the gun every couple hundred rounds or so, and wind the magazine an appropriate number of times when filling it, you should have no problems. The rear sight is mounted on the magazine, which technically wouldn't be conducive to repeatable precision, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. This pistol specifically is more than anything a gun for fun plinking, rather than serious competition or combat.

Famously, these are available as a weapon in Resident Evil : Code Veronica, where you can find a pair of these pistols. There's no spare ammo for them, but each of them are fully loaded, thus that is 200rds available to the player very early on, they aren't the strongest of course, but bullets are bullets, and they have the added gimmick of you being able to aim them individually with your analog sticks. How worthwhile that gimmick is, I couldn't say, I never got around to playing that game. All I hear though is that Code Veronica is a real mess of a game and not that good, however.
>>
File: calico22rifle.jpg (97 KB, 1024x800)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
To complete the futuristic look of the Calico, there's rifles, and the M100S variant has a swoopy wooden thumbhole stock which looks just completely gnarly.
I love the look of this thing, and combining the far greater muzzle velocity and having a stock, this seems an overall more viable gun in .22 Long Rifle, definitely a fun plinker.
>>
Welp, out of my gut the gallbladder goes, at least I won't need it, and at least the recovery won't be even a fraction as harsh as my eye surgery.

Here's' a LaFrance Specialties M16K. These were M16s and M16A1s cut down to short carbine length with a modified gas system and with CAR15 stocks, together with a replacement front sight on the front of the carry handle. Can famously be seen in Naked Gun 33+1⁄3 and some Miami Vice episodes.
>>
File: coonan-357-magnum.jpg (238 KB, 1600x1140)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
Ok, so the recovery was actually kind of specially miserable for the first few days, but a week later and I actually feel somewhat ok, especially as I can now retain solid foods.
94 Protons goes as it goes, though we're up to 14 levels now, so almost at the minimum goal of 15 I was aiming for, I guess we'll see where it progresses, hopefully somewhere well.

Anyway, here's a Coonan Model B with a tacticool digital camo, it's effectively a 1911 rescaled and reengineered for the .357 Magnum cartridge. As far as Magnum automatics go, this is one is quite reasonably proportioned, just a little bit larger than the original .45, with the same 7+1 capacity. For a more detailed history about the development of the Coonan pistol, ForgottenWeapons made a video a little while back based on a phone interview he had with Dan Coonan (because much of the history wasn't written down anywhere), but the tl;dr of it was that he had an argument with a roommate or friend about what's the best handgun, your typical .45 caliber 1911, or a .357 Magnum revolver, and the thought came up that a .357 Magnum 1911 would be the best of both worlds, then a bet was made that he couldn't devise one.

He obviously did, and all I hear from everyone who owns one is that it's a well put together pistol. One of the key aspects is that the magazine has an articulated follower, which really helps given the rim on the .357 Magnum cartridge makes stacking them a bit bothersome. Apparently they did actually make a one-off Coonan pistol which was chambered for .256 Winchester Magnum (.357 necked down to .25 caliber), and using the lighter recoil spring for .38 Special it functioned well.
I imagine such a gun would cut through soft armor like it was nothing, better than 5.7x28mm pistols, and with more power left over after. Being an automatic, one would also not have to worry about the case setting back and binding up a cylinder, as you'd get with the similar .22 Remington Jet revolver cartridge.
>>
Arsenal SAM7R, a 7.62x39mm Kalashnikov rifle from Bulgaria, featuring a forged receiver. Supposedly the way Arsenal forges receivers makes them the strongest kind of AK receivers, though I hear their finish can be a bit lacking.

I'd love to have one of these with some old style slabside magazines and a bayonet, just a really old fashioned automatic infantry rifle, all wood and steel.
>>
File: Bradley, Woodland.png (2.47 MB, 1920x1080)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB PNG
Long overdue bump. Here's a brand spanking new Bradley M2A4, delivered earlier this year, and since the forever sandbox wars are over, this IFV is actually painted in a woodland camo, rather than a desert camo or solid tan, which is a pretty refreshing change.

What an Infantry Fighting Vehicle is, is basically an Armored Personnel Carrier with a turret. The Bradley bearing an M242 Bushmaster Chaingun, a 25x137mm self-loading cannon, carrying 230rds of High Explosive 25mm shells ready to go, with 70rds of saboted Depleted Uranium 25mm shells just in case, along with 600rds of HE as a reserve. Mounted as a coaxial to the cannon there's the M240C, with 2200rds of 7.62mm NATO ready.
Frequently, the Bradley also carries a pair of TOW missiles for demolishing actual battle tanks (something these little things have actually done quite a lot). There's also the Firing Port Weapons, which is a weird and autistic little AR15 carbine with no stock that operates on blowback, you're meant to screw this thing into a ball pintle and then with a periscope, walk a stream of barely stabilized tracers towards your target to make them stop trying to blast your IFV with a HEAT warhead.
The FPWs don't get used much at all, being incredibly situational and awkward, but they can reach at low angles which the main turret cannot (also at close distances where shooting HE wouldn't be safe), and it has actually saved the crew of at least a handful of IFVs from getting penetrated over the years.

The Bradley ends up carrying less grunts than your average APC, but on the other hand it provides quite a lot of fire support.
>>
File: alice and salvador dali.jpg (169 KB, 1170x658)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
A photo of Alice Cooper and Salvador Dali
>>
File: fell over.jpg (1.16 MB, 1272x1001)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>
File: seras coffin.jpg (1.22 MB, 2000x2666)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>
With Colt coming out with their lightweight 1911 Commander in 1970, Star and InterArms decide they want in on the lucrative lightweight .45 market, thus in 1975, enter the Star PD, a .45 Auto pistol with an aluminum frame, the slide riding on steel rails, just like the Colt, Star's P series even tracing its heritage to an old 1911 knockoff. What makes it competitive isn't just being slightly lighter, featuring a loaded magazine indicator (you could feel a little tab from the follower protrude out the bottom if it was full), or featuring an adjustable rear sight (for those who want that), but more importantly was much cheaper. It's not AS nice as a 1970s Colt, but it's a good gun for its price.

Next to it we have a Charter Arms Bulldog, introduced in 1973, which was a somewhat simple and low cost DA/SA hand-ejector revolver, but with an aluminum alloy frame, with the cylinder holding five rounds of .44 Special, thus another compact and light big-bore handgun competing for the same lower priced market. Both these guns bear synthetic Pachmayr grips.

The Bulldog caught some notoriety as being the gun of choice for serial killer David Berkowitz. He made the claim that his neighbor Sam Carr's black Labrador Retriever, Harvey, which he once shot and wounded, was actually possessed by the devil and issuing him irresistible commands to kill (somehow arriving at the moniker "Son Of Sam" from this). Most likely, all this stuff about demonic possession and satanic cults was something he just made up for the media and didn't actually believe in, and he's simply a sociopath who acted out against the society which rejected him.
Berkowitz's other nickname was "The .44 Killer", for the less common caliber standing out as ballistic evidence. This lore overshadows the Bulldog revolver a bit these days, particularly given that later iterations of Charter Arms after their bankruptcy seem to have a reputation for spotty quality, and .44 Special being even less popular these days.
>>
File: FYKaACIUYAAQOqa.jpg (120 KB, 673x900)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
I have never played a Guilty Gear game.
>>
File: cammy winter.jpg (398 KB, 800x1000)
398 KB
398 KB JPG
>>
File: Roxie swing.png (358 KB, 1000x1000)
358 KB
358 KB PNG
>>
File: taylordrum1911.jpg (2.46 MB, 3024x2016)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
Here's a thing I found a while back, a drum magazine for 1911 pistols, seen here inserted into an old Ithaca made 1911A1. There's extremely little information about these on the web, but it seems they exist in some quantity, because you can find listings for them fairly often, and they tend to be listed for about $100 to $200.

It seems that it's made out of steel, and the listed capacity is pretty much always 28 rounds, the front of the drum reads "TAYLOR MK.I .45" and "BINGHAM LTD, ATLANTA", with the back having directional arrows and the text "WIND 8 TO 10 CLICKS", with a winding lever on the back. Bingham could possibly refer to Squires Bingham, an importer known for stuff like a .22LR rifle with a drum, which was styled to look a bit like the Soviet Russian PPSh-41, they're still around, seemingly.
The follower looks like it has a rounded shape, probably to help it ride smoothly inside the drum (almost like a dummy cartridge, but without actually being a full dummy cartridge body), it seems like it'd be a single track spiral drum, like an old Luger "Snail Drum". Interestingly, I have found a single picture of one of these Taylor drums where the "tower" on the drum is offset at an angle, a little like on such a Snail Drum (but without the bend). No idea if that was a production item, a prototype, a custom, or what.

I saw one mention on a forum that these drums were made in the 1980s, and were offered as part of some sort of "survival kit," where there was this drum for your 1911, as well as an attachable shoulder stock and a long barrel (so as to not make an NFA item). I have seen pictures of a stock paired with one of these drums in a lot, together with a magazine loading tool, so perhaps there's some truth to that. The stock attaches to a replacement mainspring housing.

I like the older fashioned look of these drums, steel and all, as opposed to virtually every other drum you can find for a 1911 pistol, which are plastic.
>>
>>119005
I found a scanned copy of the instructions for the drum, which I guess is useful for those who have one of these.
https://www.m1911.org/images/TaylorDrumInstructions.pdf
I also found the actual patent, applied for in 1979, granted in 1982, and expired in 1999.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4332097A/en

The instructions do actually state that it holds 29rds, and I have seen reference to that in a few places, but usually it's stated to hold 28rds, possibly it works much better when loaded with 28rds. I've also seen a couple of mentions of 30rds and even 32ds, but I have no idea if you can even fit 30rds in there.
In addition, some further examples of the offset style of drum. The 'tower' on those looks like it's longer (because it has to fit in the grip just the same), potentially this variant could contain the larger 30rds or even 32rds, just by virtue of having more space, but they seem to be listed as 28rds or 29rds all the same. Possibly the higher attributed capacities pertain to this variant, possibly they all just hold 29rds and people are just making assumptions.
I've only found these drums in .45 Auto, not for .38 Super, nor the later 10mm Auto

More interestingly, I found an old auction entry for, get this, 1000 unfinished Taylor drum magazine bodies, with the front lids and all. Didn't have the other guts, the follower, spring, winder, etc, and some of them were rusted (allegedly just surface rust), most were not blued. The seller, in Ohio, apparently had even more of this stuff, and he wanted $5000 for the lot, didn't sell. I guess this must have been the original guy's unfinished stock (possibly the 1994 AWB killed his business).
One wonders at the opportunity of someone getting ahold of this material and then completing these drums some day.

Pictured here is a stainless Colt Combat Commander 1911 with the drum inserted. I like the wide target spur hammer it has.
>>
The Marlin Camp Carbine is a simple blowback gun, made in 9mm Luger, using Smith & Wesson Model 59 pistol magazines (thus also 5906 magazines), and .45 Auto, using regular 1911 magazines. For some people, a long gun which uses the same ammo (and magazines) as their handgun is a big selling point, and that's what these guns offer.
This one is pictured with a Taylor drum, which fits aesthetically, I think.

The Camp Carbine has a bit of a quirk thanks to its design (probably a combination of the amount of space the bolt has to travel, its weight, as well as how the action beds into the stock), where the bolt bottoming out, hitting the rear of the receiver, will gradually batter the wooden stuck until it cracks and then slowly splits.
Obviously, this would not be an appreciated gun if it did this, and part of its design is a buffer pad made out of neoprene which sits at the rear of the receiver to absorb the impact, thus saving the stock. Not the most elegant solution, but it works. Neoprene does however eventually dry out and desiccate, and once it's old and hard enough it will stop absorbing those impacts and the bolt will instead pulverize it, then after that it will begin to hammer the stock.

This used to be a problem with these things, because after 10-20 years those buffers will have given up, and there was no source of replacement ones out there for a long time (and examples with broken stocks from use by people who didn't know aren't rare), but these days you can get new ones easily, order a whole bunch of them online for a couple of dollars and you're set.
One of the workarounds to a broken stock was to get a plastic one, as apparently they tolerate it (potentially they have enough flex in their plastic material to act as their own buffer). Choate makes a folding stock-set out of plastic which seems to hold up, looks a little ugly but it's functional. There's also a Muzzelite bullpup kit for these, and I would expect them to be as rough and flimsy as typical.
>>
File: Marlin Camp 9, Scoped.jpg (3.9 MB, 5000x4155)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
An example of the Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm Luger, this one has a scope fitted, and some of the Smith & Wesson pistol magazines to go with it, including two extended ones, even longer 30rd ones exist as well. I have once seen a Smith & Wesson 5906 pistol magazine which has been welded onto a Finnish Kp/31 subgun drum, giving a capacity of above 70rds (not sure if the added 'tower' increases capacity).
I'd be a bit wary of the plastic magazine well and how well it tolerates the weight of that steel drum and all the bullets, but I presume that using the drum for a range toy would be fine.

The .45 Auto chambered ones were fancied for a while as some saw them as appealing suppressor hosts, the cartridge being subsonic in normal loadings. I have seen a custom one with a large integrated suppressor fitting in an inletted stock.
>>
Submissions are closed for 94 Protons Of /vr/, of the goal of 15 maps submitted, we received 20, and they're some damn good levels which I think are going to be enjoyed.
What's left for now is some reworking/polish on the E1 boss level, then it's time to assemble beta builds.

There's more left to do besides that, like the weapon reskins, but those aren't that important and can be done later. I'll probably be finishing up stuff like that over time on my own, along with my own WIP levels and the final boss. If this project has taught me anything it's that I've bit off more than I could chew, but I can't fucking give up and choke either, so I'll just have to keep chewing until I'm done.

I'm really gonna need some help by someone who can do decent 3D model stuff though. I have next to no understanding of how to do that kind of work at all, and getting on the path of learning all that myself I think would make the project draw out yet longer than it already has, which isn't super appealing.
>>
File: INTERPICBETA5.png (24 KB, 320x240)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
Happy 19th birthday to 4chan. Can't believe it's almost 20 years now.

Guess I should actually link the Mega here given that I've actually iterated on some assembled Beta builds of 94 Protons Of /vr/ by now.
https://mega.nz/folder/z9ZVEAJJ#t4IEL6VGFY7tBBMIEOKXUA
>IWAD is Plutonia
>Complevel is 21, must be a sourceport which is compatible with MBF21 and UMAPINFO
The current build is 94BETAv0.7, and the current patch for playing it in GzDoom is PROTDECO20.
The GzDoom patch also includes truecolor graphics and some added effects.
There's also a patch for getting the face explosion animation >>117308 in GzDoom, either with the default HUD, or with NC-HUD.

There's some stuff left to do, like the rest of the weapons, and my own levels. The E1 boss level needs a lot of revamping tbqh. Also there's a mysterious problem which causes the DSDA sourceport (which is supposed to be one of the target sourceports), to just crash on start for unexplained reasons, with varying conditions.
The circumstances are very strange, but it seems tied to MAP01, which is supposed to be an "error handler" of sorts. Since Boom level ports even with UMAPINFO do not support arbitrary map names, rather they must be ExMx for Doom 1 mode, or MAPxx for Doom 2 mode, you can't mix, I autismally decided on using the first numeral in MAPxx as the episode designation, and the second as the map designation.

This way, the maps would be neatly divided up, episode 2 wouldn't start with like MAP10 or something, and IDCLEV functionality would be like in Doom 1. People are a little confused by this, and the error handler map which tells you to use a compatible sourceport seems to cause mystic problems, so I'm not sure this has been the greatest idea. I guess I'll just have to take out MAP01 for the next version.

Neither Woof! nor GzDoom has this problem, and I tested MAP01 with DSDA before. I reported it to the DSDA github but didn't really get much of a response. I have no idea if the post has been seen.
>>
File: ENDPROTONS.png (5 KB, 642x402)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
Bumping because I haven't done that for a while.

A number of updates and fixes have been done to 94 Protons Of /vr/, mainly map updates. The Signal 11 bug was fixed, it had nothing to do with audio at all.
Taken slight 'vacation' from doing 94 Protons stuff to do some stuff for Ad Mortem's phase 2, some texture and sprite stuff, didn't have the time for a map this time either. Got in contact with Vaeros, the original lead who ended up absent, and he provided us with some updated and new sprites he had worked on in the meantime (he's been too busy to do the stuff himself).

Mainly I'm planning on adding a Plasma Rifle skin, it'll be a Deathmatch Classic style Thunderbolt weapon. We'll see if I do something more too afterwards.
Pic related is the ENDOOM screen for 94 Protons Of /vr/, an ENDOOM screen is a splotch of ANSI which displays after you close the original .exe to DOS, and you can replace it with your own, which can be whatever text or art you want within certain limits. Projects having their own little piece of ANSI art like this has been a thing over all the years, and I always love seeing them after a session of Dooming, most sourceports will give you the option of displaying them, often with the option to only display it if the pwad you're playing has a new one, skipping the iwad ones.
>>
File: FfIdiA7XoAUaAQC.jpg (592 KB, 705x1150)
592 KB
592 KB JPG
>>
>>
I'll post some more eye candy.
This weird psycho from MHA is pretty cute in a way, I guess it's the eyes in particular which really gets to me, though her body sure isn't bad either.
>>
Black Lagoon is a fun series and I like it a lot. Shame there's a lot of related material which isn't translated, if only I could read it.

Also, I fucking hate the anime dub a lot, it's not really worse than most English anime dubs these days, but lots of people with bad taste always insist "No, it's the really good one, they have accents dude!" Fuck you, the performances are boring and shitty, those are fucking atrocious voice actors.
>>
File: 100676880_p0.jpg (1.12 MB, 1191x1684)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Lilith Aensland. I have never played Darkstalkers/Vampire Savior, I'm not really good at fighting games.
>>
File: 100676880_p2.jpg (846 KB, 782x1534)
846 KB
846 KB JPG
>>
File: Madsen Machinegun.jpg (1.42 MB, 3000x1310)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
Anyway, enough eyecandy for now.

This is the Madsen Machinegun, a Danish design from the very end of the 1800s and the very beginning of the 1900s, derived from previous experiments with semi-automatic rifles. It's the first light machinegun in the entire world, and it's actually pretty fucking good at it.

The action is pretty unique, rather than mincing words, I'll just quote the Wikipedia description of it which describes it excellently:
>The Madsen has a rather sophisticated and unique operating cycle. The machine gun uses a mixed recoil-operated locking system with a hinged bolt that is patterned after the lever-action Peabody Martini breechblock.[3] The recoil operation is part short and part long recoil. After firing a round to start the open bolt firing cycle, the initial recoil impulse drives the barrel, barrel extension, and bolt to the rear. A pin on the right side of the bolt moves backward in grooves in an operating cam plate mounted to the right side of the receiver. After 12.7 mm (0.5 in) of travel, the bolt is cammed upward, away from the breech (the "short" portion of the recoil system). The barrel and barrel extension continue to move rearward to a point slightly exceeding the combined overall length of the cartridge case and projectile (the long portion of the recoil system, responsible for the weapon's low rate of fire).

>After the breech is exposed, an odd lever-type extractor/ejector, mounted under the barrel, pivots to the rear, extracts the empty case, and ejects it through the bottom of the receiver. The bolt's operating cam then forces the bolt face to pivot downward, aligning a cartridge feed groove in the left side of the bolt with the chamber. While the bolt and barrel are returning forward, a cartridge-rammer lever, mounted on the barrel extension, pivots forward, loading a fresh cartridge.
>>
File: Madsen LMG.jpg (1.46 MB, 3264x2448)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
There's more interesting mechanical features of the gun, the first is the big pivoting crank charging-handle, which you see on other guns like the Maxim machinegun (the big watercooled ones on tripods and vehicles), but then you have the top mounted magazines, which don't have conventional feed lips, rather there's a big and long leaf spring which holds the cartridges in place, which are then released to the feed when inserted, where there's a wedge which pivots out of the way to accept one cartridge at a time, then pivots back to push it into the feedway, also making sure the next one doesn't "cut in line."
As there's no feed lips to have to accommodate the exact shape of cartridges, .30-06 Springfield and 7.92mm Mauser (which have some rough dimensional similarities) fit and function with the same magazines, and the gun was available in a lot of different rifle cartridges, both rimmed and rimless ones, so you'll see some with very curvy magazines. Capacity varied from contract to contract, but there's ones between 25 and up to 40 round capacity.

The previous picture is a photo from an Anon on /k/, I'm unsure of if it's an actual full-auto one or a semi-auto only parts kit rebuild, but either way I'm sure it's one of the jewels of his collection, it's an incredibly cool gun. The fact that the Madsen machinegun is so unusual and unlike anything else successful, and yet functions so well and is actually so good at its role, while being the first of its kind, really makes the weapon a marvel of small arms engineering, and it has some very cool history to it as well.
>>
Contrary to later light machineguns with the magazine on top, like the Zb.26/Bren, the magazine well is NOT centered with offset sights, rather the well is offset instead, so the sights stay in the center. Bipods varied with time, but was one of those things which was improved, early ones being kind of trash, but later ones being very good.

Here's a video showing a cutaway 3D model in action, as the mechanics are a bit difficult to envision from reading text:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY-Uj7wttFc
In some ways it's complex, in other ways it's pretty simple. All the steps in its cycling does end up making the rate of fire pretty slow and easy compared to many other light machineguns (typically around 500rpm), but the thing is also a bit heavy for its class, and also pretty expensive to make.

Pictured is a Finnish contract m/20 gun, chambered of course for 7.62x54mmR, the rimmed rifle cartridge in the long single-stack magazine of 25 to 30 rounds (probably just 25) makes it quite a sight. This gun has one of the nicer bipods, making it rather user friendly.
>>
File: madsen brazil.png (1.9 MB, 1784x1564)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB PNG
Being a light machinegun, you can of course swap your barrels to let your current one cool down while you use a spare. This involves taking the entire barrel and its breech assembly out of the gun to put in the new one, which incidentally makes it very easy to convert these guns between 7.92mm Mauser and .30-06 Springfield on the fly. Earlier versions were a bit finicky with the changes, but it was simplified in later iterations.

Pictured here is a 1907 produced gun, chambered in 7mm Mauser for a Brazilian contract (7mm Mauser being 7.92mm Mauser necked down for a smaller projectile, you can of course swap as easily between this cartridge and the two previously mentioned ones just as easily). If you went through the trouble, you could probably have a barrel made for .270 Winchester, and it should work fine if made properly.

These guns have a long history, seeing their first real combat use in the Russo-Japanese war, while Russia didn't perform the hottest at the time overall, their good use of the Madsen machineguns made a very strong impression, observers from different countries made note of the use of this new kind of weapon which people weren't yet quite sure of how to best use. It would go on to see use in the First World War, the Russian Revolution and Civil War, the Mexican Revolution (on all sides), the war and strife in China's "Warlord Era", the Spanish Civil war, along with various other conflicts of the "Interwar Period" between the world wars, continuing to see use in World War 2 itself (including the Winter War and Continuation War), and even afterwards.

Much of the later use was in second line units as more cost effective and efficient designs came in use, though dated, they did work perfectly fine, and they were still bought new and used for rear echelon troops by Nazi Germany as late as 1942, as it was a usable gun which Madsen was capable of producing while Denmark was occupied.
>>
File: 1604800497804.jpg (805 KB, 2048x1536)
805 KB
805 KB JPG
Even after these guns got replaced for good in military arsenals, even reservists getting more modern gear, some armies kept them around in storage. The Brazilian Army was one of those, eventually they were transferred over to law enforcement agencies, such as those in Rio de Janeiro, to name just some, at some point they are converted from 7x57mm Mauser to the then more common 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge.

Famously, these old world machineguns has actually seen rather heavy use by Brazilian police forces for more intense urban combat. Though officially, these old warhorses were supposed to have been retired in 2008, they never actually stopped using them, here is footage from a firefight in Barão back in 2019.
https://youtu.be/1WG7GDnqC7E?t=734

For why they're being used, it's probably as simple as the fact that these machineguns were A), free, and B), there's not that much budget for these departments, and C), they still work absolutely fine. When units like these may have to fight gangs of very hardened and well armed criminals, there's some appeal to a dead reliable and powerful machinegun, a gun which just doesn't stop and never wears out.
You can be as high as the sky, fearing nothing, feeling no pain, but there's really no arguing with M80 Ball, a 147gr .308 caliber FMJ projectile going 2800fps pulverizes your hip bone or spinal column, you're out of the game, and then the other bullets in that burst of fire penetrating the car your thug pals were hiding behind, opening up brain cavities and pulping hearts.

I think you kind of have to be a hard motherfucker to get into firefights with cartel members, using a heavy and antique machinegun like this as if it's a rifle, particularly in the case of the linked video, where the guy in question seems to only have the one magazine which he has to refill with loose cartridges at times. All in the 21st century.
>>
File: madsen13.jpg (119 KB, 1279x1023)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
I said 2019, but it's 2018. Anyway, no doubt these guns still see use in 2022, in the same video you can see FN FALs and M16A2 Commando carbines in somewhat poor states of repair, they need any working gun they have for their department. The Madsen really tolerates some heavy use and abuse which most infantry rifles don't, which probably helps.

A common modification with the ones in Brazil seems to be removing the bipod, I guess it's of limited help when you're less using it as a support weapon and more like a fighting rifle, so the weight may as well go from this already heavy gun. Wrapping the shroud with a thick layer of black electrical tape, or attaching a vertical foregrip on the shroud, to better grip and support the front of the gun, is also seen.

Pictured here is one which still has the bipod.
>>
>>107344
>I really hope they aren't gonna do the same surgery on my right eye tomorrow, my left eye still hasn't recovered that much, so if they did that, I would be nearly blind for at least a short while.
did you ever get your eye fixed?
>>
>>119740
Yeah, did the surgery for the other eye over a year ago. >>110299

It's healed as much as it can, took about a year for each eye to fully heal (with a few months between the surgeries for each eye). I'm way more nearsighted as a result, but it beats the fuck out of being not-seeing-at-fucking-all sighted.
Had my gallbladder taken out during summer as well, so I got some surgery done this year too!
>>
>>104447
Shitty doom knockoff.
>>
File: splatter.gif (1.71 MB, 573x469)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB GIF
>>119742
Splatterhouse isn't really anything like Doom though.
>>
File: splatterhouse flash.gif (13 KB, 500x320)
13 KB
13 KB GIF
>>119744
Well, I guess the part where you punch a monster so hard in the face that his entire body violently explodes into visceral gore is something Splatterhouse has in common with Doom, but that's a superficial one, Doomguy also needs a powerup to actually swing a punch that hard (and he uses a knuckleduster), while Rick Taylor can do that with a couple of hits with his bare hands at any time. But on the other hand, it's the power of the Terror Mask which lets Rick actually do that, so maybe it's kind of even.

Adrian Carmack probably liked Splatterhouse a lot, at least for its fantastically gory visuals.
>>
Sometimes I feel like I am the only guy in the world who dislikes Splatterhouse.
>>
File: splatterhouse3ad.jpg (197 KB, 680x939)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>119774
The gameplay isn't really that great, I'll be honest, but I fucking love the aesthetics and visuals, I love the dark horror tones, I love the music.

https://youtu.be/JrgG-gn288E
https://youtu.be/To_O3A18Suo
https://youtu.be/SKkhzdhYn-4

The monsters are all gross as fuck to look at, like you really don't want them to sit in your couch or stand on your carpet kind of gross, and then when you punch them with your magic super roid fists, they splatter and become yet grosser. I've always been impressed at how visceral the graphics are for their resolution and color depth.
>>
Long time no bump. Gotta get acclimated to some new medication.
>>
File: makoto striking.jpg (3.02 MB, 1280x1707)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
>>
File: 1666818291516170.jpg (145 KB, 850x1202)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
I oughta sit down and read Hellsing some time. I first saw the anime when it was new (and as a kid that was THE coolest shit in the world). I never much got into the OVAs much when they first started coming out, mainly because I vastly preferred the more serious, dramatic, and somber tone of the anime adaption, along with the royally sick music by Yasushi Ishii.

https://youtu.be/C04brWWdMgw
https://youtu.be/h92yZAi4WLo
https://youtu.be/lPHKRzJDKK8
https://youtu.be/mV08aY6XaNc
https://youtu.be/q5ODUgCCUcI
https://youtu.be/vqEuxwZAbkA
https://youtu.be/ciYqagz7hRU
https://youtu.be/c0d3IAcuUxM

Rewatching the anime a little while back, there's a lot about it which holds up, but also some which doesn't. With what little I've taken in of the manga and the OVAs, it seems Seras is regrettably given less characterization (in some aspects anyway, it doesn't portray her struggling to hold on to her humanity in the same way), but Alucard instead seems to have a LOT more.
In the anime adaption, most of what he does is to be the unstoppable cool guy who stomps ass at every turn, which is fun for how he just sadistically relishes in it all, but can leave things to be desired in terms of stakes, the manga and OVA would go into more about his history and how he became the unstoppable horror on a leash that he is.

Part of this is of course that Hellsing got adapted pretty early on, so the anime ran out of material to adapt, hence why it goes on its own course, inventing characters like Incognito. Kouta Hirano wasn't particularly satisfied with how much it strayed even before that, so while Gonzo had aspirations to adapt more material in the future, probably where they would go more into Alucard's past, creative differences meant it wasn't in the cards. The OVA series which was made is much more faithful, but lacks some of the anime's distinct style.
>>
File: HellsingCut1.webm (2.86 MB, 520x390)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
The impression I get is that besides a sadistic side, Alucard also bears a masochistic or/and self-punishing side, in how he frequently leaves himself open for an enemy to get the first strike in, and often a damn good one too (.webm related is on the low end), to then reconstitute himself as to watch the smug color drain away from their faces, coming back to the sadistic end of it all.
Clearly he revels in the pain, perhaps in a similar way to how someone who self-harms revels in the endorphin release and the punishment for what they hate about themselves.
There's a lot he seems to regret about how he lived mortal life, and over what he would become.

Just as well, he clearly seeks out people who can match him in battle, hence his great disappointment at Luke Valentine being not all that much more than big words (and how he sounds so betrayed and disappointed when he realizes, as if he was just cheated on by a lover), in addition to his strong affinity for Alexander Anderson, then particularly his sorrow over Alexander surrendering his humanity to try to match him.
No doubt he wants to probe every opponent who seems even remotely promising to see if they can actually thrill him in combat.
>>
File: alucard reload.gif (3.01 MB, 400x267)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB GIF
The officially released 2-disc soundtrack for the original anime adaption actually lacked a LOT of the music which was used, it'd have been enough for a third disc easily, but it wasn't done for whatever reason. Perhaps some of it was legal reasons, as there was some licensed stock music used for a few bits or mixed into tracks, but it wasn't a lot, and typically that kind of stuff is actually covered in said licensing.

Someone contacted Yasushi Ishii about it not that long ago and asked about whatever happened to that music, and he was actually cool enough to plain hand some of it over. This leaves a few things, particularly variants of some songs (instrumental variants for instance), some which just wasn't saved apparently, but this still plugs a lot of the 20+ year gaps.

https://youtu.be/wNPoM3Bi7yE
https://youtu.be/YesdOaq0zrw
https://youtu.be/nQeQkRv0KC8
https://youtu.be/cONKOpUAD4Q
https://youtu.be/3U-V6kgpP2g
https://youtu.be/hrYZtdoXImk
https://youtu.be/32w0swPHLzk
https://youtu.be/vEqRB8VcZAM
https://youtu.be/xb-DJqEtcYM
https://youtu.be/sn7nmnLwWN4

There's yet more than what I linked, just search YouTube for "Hellsing Soundtrack Unreleased"
The last one I linked in particular is one which gets me a lot, because it's one of the most memorable tracks in the series, but none of the released or leaked versions of it are quite right. This one has added vocals, is mixed differently, and the pitch/tone of the piano is noticeably a lot higher, along with some skips.
Apparently this is one of those where a lot of the WIP and alternate stuff was lost, so there's just these pieced together versions from older leaks, the new stuff Ishii released, and I think imitations.
>>
File: 1917carryconversion.png (1.49 MB, 1024x1670)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
Here's a Smith & Wesson Model 1917 revolver, the large frame .45 caliber revolver with a .45 Auto chambered cylinder, cut for using half-moon clips and full-moon clips, adopted as a stopgap measure to fill out handgun needs during the first World War.
This one has been altered, the barrel cut down to about 3" with the sight moved to match, along with a pair of Pachmayr rubber grips. The resulting gun is a fairly handy carry gun, not too small, not too big, with the spur and sights intact to enable more fine marksmanship if necessary. It features a 'shoe' on the trigger, giving it wider surface area, making trigger pulls easier and more comfortable, particularly when rapid.

The theoretically best way to carry this would be with .45 Auto-Rim cartridges loaded in the chamber (thus not having to factor in the friction provided by the clip holding the cartridges for extraction), and then have a pair or two of half-moon clips with .45 Auto for quick reloading if needed. Issue would be to find a good matching defensive load of .45 Auto Rim to a good defensive load of .45 Auto, though if one were inclined they could solve that by handloading it all (which allegedly is something targeted by district attorneys if defensive shootings become court cases).

I really like the form-factor of this thing, seems like it would be very comfortable and easy to shoot.
>>
>>
File: hex maidd.jpg (2.41 MB, 1096x1600)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
Ok, I wasn't quite prepared for this kind of focus.
>>
Ok, I've been awake about 24 hours now, and I'm starting to see my own eyes inside of my eyelids when I blink, which I'm not sure if it's normal/good. Don't remember this from sixth grade.

I guess I'll try to post something if I'm alive/corporeal tomorrow.
>>
File: graymarb.png (108 KB, 660x655)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
Alright, I've picked up the pieces of my brain for a bit. I guess I'll have to experiment with this for a while to see what I can do with it, when, and how.
I'm working on a few assets for revising Lucifer's Hammer in 94 Protons Of /vr/, I've got some ideas in my head on revising the boss fight.
>>
File: grizzlywithholster.jpg (3.31 MB, 1080x3240)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
Here's a LAR Mk.I Grizzly pistol with a bespoke leather holster. I love these things, the most .45 1911s to ever .45
>>
>>
File: lilith smile.jpg (1011 KB, 1061x1500)
1011 KB
1011 KB JPG
>>
File: dab.gif (84 KB, 540x304)
84 KB
84 KB GIF
>>
>>120541
cringe spee fag
>>
File: CyberPoke.jpg (41 KB, 800x800)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Slowpokes rule, by the way.

>>120541
What a low quality .gif

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.