[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vip/ - Very Important Posts

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
Draw Size ×
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: splatterhouse.jpg (1.51 MB, 1280x1024)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
Continuing on from >>93796 (which will probably disappear in not that long time, maybe some website archives /vip/, I don't really know, and I don't really care). Starting out, this gnarly art depicting the violent arcade beat-em-up Splatterhouse, because I think it's cool as fuck still.
>>
File: 35103593.jpg (572 KB, 848x1200)
572 KB
572 KB JPG
I'll be using this thread for two things primarily:
1) Development. I like to mod and map for Doom, I like the game a lot, and I like making things for the game a lot as well.
I make levels, I make graphics (mostly by cutting and pasting, or 'Frankenspriting'), and I write code. I have a number of projects that I'm working on and involved with, I may post WIP images, and possibly .webm's if I figure out how to record footage. I am unlikely to post any WIP builds of anything, but I will post links to public releases.

2) Just stuff that I think is cool, interesting, cute, etc. Like the last thread, I may post an image of some cool or interesting gun, some cute girl, some weeb shit, some sick piece of fanart or promotional art, etc. I may do this just to bump the thread if there's long period of inactivity, I may also do this just because I found something that I really like and I want to just write about it.
>>
To start out with, here's a few screenshots of some levels in progress. Pic related isn't much yet, but it'll become something eventually.

The screenshot is in GzDoom, but the level is in Boom format, and I always make sure to test my levels in both GzDoom and PrBoom+ to make sure they function and look good in both.
>>
>>
>>
File: fortyfiiiiiive2.gif (93 KB, 300x360)
93 KB
93 KB GIF
A sprite set I made. This is a 1911 pistol, which I made by painting over the frames for FreeDoom's pistol sprites, and placing them on the original Doom hands. The muzzle flashes are based on muzzleflash graphics from Shadow Warrior.
>>
File: 1911 36.png (119 KB, 530x420)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
The frames for the 1911 pistol, including frames for a silencer, using with one hand, and handless (if one wants to use their own set of hands), as well as pickup sprites, which were painted over some ancient stock photo. There's frames without muzzle flashes if one wants to use their own (or none), and there's a separate set for with the silencer, the muzzle flashes are quite exaggerated, but that suits Doom.

These sprites are free for anyone to use in any *non-commercial* project, as long as it's appropriately attributed. Credits include:
>iD Software
>3D Realms
>The FreeDoom Team
>ChopBlock223
>>
A double-action revolver. These sprites are based on the revolver sprites from Powerslave (also known as Exhumed in some markets). I used an edited set by a guy named Mike12 (also known as the H-Doom guy) as a basis. Muzzle flashes are just the same as the 1911, from Shadow Warrior originally.

The pickup sprite is made by cutting and pasting some shapes from generic stock photos, turning it into a solid black stencil, then drawing in all the detail.
>>
File: combat magnum 357.png (126 KB, 480x500)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
The frames for the revolver. Includes some crude frames for reloading, I would suggest to try to hide these down outside the view of the player, just at the bottom edge of the screen, and just kind of insinuate the necessary movement with the frames available. There are not enough workable Doom hand sprites for me to bother trying to do a fully featured reload animation, so I won't, besides that, the truly tactical way to reload would be to keep your eyes forward scanning for further targets while barely looking at the gun as you reload it.

Credits:
>iD Software
>3D Realms
>Lobotomy Software
>Mike12
>ChopBlock223
Same permission applies for non-commercial use, just leave credits somewhere in the ReadMe or something, don't need to ask or anything. Feel free to modify these sprites for whatever purposes you want to, as well.
>>
File: Zero Tolerance.gif (1.93 MB, 320x224)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
Title/logo from Zero Tolerance, a really inventive first person shooter on the Sega Genesis, which in spite of the limitations of the hardware, makes truly phenomenal use out of what's available to it. There's some truly fantastic attention to detail, and the game even supports multiplayer with the use of a link-cable, as well as two copies of the game, two consoles, two controllers, and two TVs.

For a corridor shooter akin to Wolfenstein 3D, you'd be quite surprised at some of the tricks the game has up its sleeves.
>>
Here's a little quirk of Federal Laws on firearms in the United States. The 1934 National Firearms Act states that a shotgun with a barrel shorted down to shorter than 18" or an overall length shorter than 26" is a 'Short Barreled Shotgun' and subject to a $200 tax and registration (which was an absolute shitload of money in 1934, mind), creating one without first having your tax stamp ready, or being something like a Type 07 Special Occupation Taxpayer, is a crime that can lead up to 10 years in jail.

Here's a variant of the Mossberg 500, sometimes referred to as a 'Shockwave'
As you can see, it's quite short, yet it's not subject to the NFA, why is this? Mossberg manufactured this gun, and did not declare it to be Shotgun, which it isn't because it lacks a stock, and it's not an Any Other Weapon, the category which things like Smoothbore Pistols tends to get lumped into, and some short shotguns, because it's over 26" in total length.
It never had a stock from the factory, so it's not a Shotgun or Short Barreled Shotgun, it's too long to be considered a Smoothbore Pistol, so the Bureau Of Alcohol Tobacco, Firerms & Explosives, BATFE, or ATF for short (their older acronym), have written themselves into a corner and just refers to guns like these as "Firearms." Legally speaking, a "Firearm" in this context is a category of guns which aren't rifles, pistols, or shotguns, and also doesn't get into any of the subjects restricted by the NFA.

If you took a regular Mossberg 500 and then cut down the stock and barrel to this length, that would be illegal without the relevant paperwork and taxes, but if Mossberg puts it together like this at the factory, and it never had a shoulder stock attached, it gets to be in this goofy little gray area. If you put a stock on it, that's not ok legally, nor is it okay to put a regular pistolgrip on it unless you somehow make the gun overall 26" long.
>>
File: shockwave brace.jpg (264 KB, 3000x1500)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
You know what could let you use a pistolgrip without making a 'Shockwave' style of shotgun too short? An 'arm brace.'

The arm brace is a part which is intended to strap the form of your dominant arm to an extension on the rear of the gun, so that you can more easily fire a large handgun one-handed. This is completely legal, and the pretext is that it would allow disabled people, such as veterans lacking a second hand/arm, to fire bigger handguns. What these things can also be used as is stocks, and as long as you don't modify the brace to make it more stock-like (such as by putting on a recoil pad or something), this is 100% legal to do.

Buying something like an AR15 pistol, or AK pistol, and putting a stock on it, would mean that you're creating a Short-Barreled Rifle (as the barrel is shorter than 16"), but a brace is not a stock, legally, thus you can do this and it's fine. The same applies for these 'Shockwave' style shotguns, the brace is not a stock, and the overall length is 26", so the shotgun remains a 'Firearm.'
>>
Here's a Freedom Arms Model 83, this one is chambered for .500 Wyoming Express, a cartridge of Freedom Arms' own design, being one of many high powered .50 caliber revolver cartridges. It's actually a 'belted' cartridge case as well, meaning there's a pronounced ridge above the extractor groove, for more secure headspacing, or rather, that was the original concept of a belted cartridge case, I feel that Freedom Arms just designed their case that way to make it look really cool and different.
A 'light' load of .500 Wyoming Express can be a 370gr projectile going at 1300fps, which is quite spicy as is, and for a heavier load, a 440gr projectile going at 1200fps.

Something Freedom Arms offers as an extra with revolvers in .500 Wyoming Express, is a separate cylinder chambered for .50 Action Express, the rebated rim cartridge most famous for the Desert Eagle (Magnum Research will also offer their own quite fine BFR revolvers in .50 Action Express on order). .50 Action Express is roughly about as powerful as .500 Wyoming Express, with a 330gr projectile doing 1500fps, a decent bit lighter projectile, a decent bit faster, but all in all both .50AE and .500WE have quite comparable footpounds (thus why I figure the belt on the latter's case is just added for coolpoints, as the former seems to headspace perfectly on the mouth of the case and with no rim at all).
If you already had something like a Desert Eagle pistol, and a bunch of .50AE ammunition and reloading supplies, I figure this extra cylinder would be quite an attractive option.
>>
File: brakkabrakkabrakka.gif (592 KB, 660x540)
592 KB
592 KB GIF
This is the subgun I made for the 2048 Units Of /vr/ weapon set. The mapset can also be played without these weapons, likewise there's a separate version coded in Decorate which has some more effects and functions (like Duke Nukem 3D-ish reloading for the pistol in exchange for a much higher rate of fire, this pistol is the 1911 I posted earlier, btw). Said Decorate set can also be loaded separately and will work with any other mapset which doesn't also replace its weapons with Decorate coded ones (so, 98% of all Doom maps ever made).

The sprite is put together from the rifles and machineguns from Doom's alpha and beta builds, the muzzleflash is from the Atari Jaguar version of Wolfenstein 3D, and the rear end-cap is from a model rip of a Carl Gustaf m/45 subgun. I do not recall who made that 3D model, and I don't recall who ripped it, regrettably, therefore I can't take full credit for these graphics (but I don't take full credits for most graphics I make). The magazine and magazine well I drew by hand, the stock is painted over one of the stocks for the previously mentioned rifles, the pickup sprite was made by bunching a bunch of parts and shapes together with Pimp My Gun, to get the right shapes, then shrunk down and repainted.

All that said, the credits would thus be:
>iD Software
>whoever made the 3D model
>whoever ripped it
>DoctorNoob
>ChopBlock223
>>
File: subgun007.png (76 KB, 500x400)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
The subgun's frames, as well as the separated parts, for whoever wants to do a reload animation for it or something. It would be firing from an open-bolt position, so the charging handle would be sitting in the middle of its travel when ready to fire, slam forward when firing, and recoil to its rearmost position afterwards.
>>
I've got this big single-action revolver that I've been meaning to add to a mod project for quite some time. There's a lot of things it needs doing, like all of the code (which could probably be made more expedient by just lifting the code from the shotgun I have and altering it as needed), and reload animations.

One thing I've been pondering is what it should be chambered for. I've considered cartridges like .45 Winchester Magnum, just for the sake of being unusual, .440 Cor-Bon and .429 Desert Eagle for the same reason, but also for power, and I also had an idea of doing something similar to the .357/.44 Bobcat Magnum I mentioned in the past, either using it straight, because it's an unusual cartridge with an exotic appearance, but I also had the idea to do a similar wildcat cartridge which is the .50 Action Express cartridge, not necked down to .44 (or 0.429), like the existing cartridges, but rather for .357 caliber, like the Bobcat Magnum, complete with the polymer sleeve over the case neck.

This would create a particularly exotic appearance, a large rebated rim cartridge with a sleeved bottleneck, and it would make a good excuse for a particularly high powered and loud gun. However, this would mean an awfully big cartridge in a revolver that isn't perhaps quite big enough to fit that, or at least not fitting six chambers. I don't want to redraw the sprites I have, because they're basically finished, and I don't want to make an oldschool-ish six-shooter a five-shooter, that's far less satisfying.

I'll have to ponder this idea further, perhaps I will just settle for the .357/.44 Bobcat Magnum itself, perhaps I'll think of something else. As the gun is currently, it's a single-action revolver, similar to a Ruger Blackhawk (modern adjustable sights and all), with a 4" or 4.5" barrel and matching length ejector-rod housing, wood grips, and a dark blued finish.
I'll repost this image here for reference, if just to keep the cartridge idea in mind.
>>
File: luger, gorgeous.png (1.15 MB, 1280x1321)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
A Luger pistol with an 'artillery' length barrel, and some very stunning and fine decorative work applied to it.
>>
File: Trench Gun 1897.jpg (3.35 MB, 3000x2668)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
The Winchester 1897 was designed by John Moses Browning, and was the first commercially successful pump-action shotgun. Operating much the same as one may expect of a modern one, with a tube magazine under the barrel and a sliding hand-guard running over said tube, for manipulating the action back and forth.

The 1897 is distinct from later designs for its short receiver, rather than housing the full travel of the bolt, it actually comes back out of the rear of the receiver (conceivably you could rap/tear your knuckle if really working the action fast, but as long as you have low grip it's not a risk), the shell elevator also tilts out the bottom of the receiver.
Pictured here is the so called 'Trench Gun' of the First World War, as employed by American forces, featuring a perforated heat-shield running over the barrel (so one would not burn themselves on a hot barrel), as well as sling swivels, and a bayonet lug to let it take the impressively long M1917 sword bayonet, because it had to be made just a little bit more badass.
This gun here is an original gun, not an older 1897 with added parts, or the much later Norinco replica (which isn't bad), it has a fair bit of wear, but is in overall decent shape, and the old 'Flaming Bomb' insignia of the old US Armed Forces' acceptance can be seen on many spots.

Though the action poking its guts out with every cycle wasn't always ideal in muddy trench war conditions, the hardened lead 00 buckshot did very well for itself, particularly given that the 1897 lacks a trigger-disconnect, meaning if you hold the trigger down while cycling it, the hammer will immediately drop as it goes into battery. Some might complain about safety, but others realized this would let you rapidly fire off salvos of shot by holding the trigger down and working the pump-slide rapidly, and at times this was exploited.

Germany complained a lot about shotguns being inhumane, which is funny coming from forces employing flamethrowers and mustard gas.
>>
File: trenchie09.png (11 KB, 194x38)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
The later clone of the 1897 Trench Gun by Norinco, as expected of most Chinese guns, has a cheaper and rougher fit and finish, but otherwise it's quite authentic, to the point that these clones, just like the originals, really don't like the more modern steel cased or aluminum cased shotgun shells (nor shells with a fully plastic case and hull combination), the extractor claw wants brass. They can also be slamfired.

Here's a pickup sprite of an 1897 Trenchgun which I made by painting over a very low resolution stock photo which had a nice and sharp outline. I haven't made a full set of first person sprites, because someone already made ones like 15 years ago, which weren't fantastic and could need reworking, but then I found out someone already reworked those (or maybe they painted new ones from scratch), and they actually look pretty fucking superb.
Only thing lacking is a version with the bayonet, and the accompanying lunge animation, which would be kickass for Doom.
>>
>>104450
Further WIP of this level, which I kind of hoped to have made some better progress on by now, particularly given that I now have a deadline in a couple of days.
The initial concept was for this level to be fast to make, and that's what I told others, and myself, about two months ago.
>>
File: MG13 7.92x57mm.jpg (291 KB, 4000x3204)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
That's a no on that deadline, but I figure I could get it done in not too much more time. Not a hard deadline anyway, just for a demonstration, though I still feel like a fuckup for not getting it done.

Here's a German MG13 machinegun from the interwar/WW2 period, famously, it was given its designation as a means to obfuscate it towards inspecting authorities of the Treaty Of Versailles. Germany was not allowed by the treaty to develop new advanced small arms such as light machineguns and submachineguns, by calling this gun the MG13 they could insinuate that it's actually an older design from 1913 and not a new development at all (it was actually devised in 1928 or 1930, probably).

It's a closed bolt, 7.92x57mm short-recoil machinegun, with a tilting locking block, feeding from a 25rd box magazine. For a gun of its kind and era, I think it's pretty neat.
>>
Speaking of the MG13, here's a Yugoslavian Zastava M76 rifle, and a WW2 Walther G43 rifle, both with modified MG13 magazines inserted. With 25rd capacity, that gives you quite a lot more firepower than the 10rd magazines typical to either of these rifles, and even the 20rd magazines of the M76. Not necessary for the kind of rifles these are, probably, but I like it.

Modifying old surplus MG13 magazines to work in various 7.92x57mm rifles is something I've seen people do a lot over the years. Guns which I've seen this done with:
>Egyptian Hakim rifles (probably the most common)
>Walther G43 rifles (less common, as these rifles are less common)
>Mauser G41 rifles (even less common)
>K98ks and M48s, etc, various Mauser 98 pattern rifles in 7.92x57mm, I guess you could quickly fill one of these magazines up by using five 5rd stripper clips in sequence
>Zastava M76s, and other Zastava 7.92x57mm AK rifles
>FAL custom built in 7.92x57mm
>FN49 in 7.92x57mm

There's probably more guns which people have done this with, potentially it's doable with the Zb.26 machinegun, and probably various guns in 7x57mm Mauser, as the cartridge dimensions are mostly the same. Possibly doable with an FG42 rifle, which may be a great advantage for one of those lucky persons who has one, as FG42 magazines are supremely rare and expensive items. Could probably also be done with the Walther G41 rifle, if you really insist on shooting it.
>>
File: Hakim Extendo.jpg (1.18 MB, 3072x2304)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
A picture of the Egyptian Hakim rifle, one with a modified MG13 magazine inserted. Shown beside it is the bayonet, as well as the original 8rd magazine the gun is designed with, and which was supposed to be left in the gun at most times, being filled up with clips or loose rounds (it being detachable was more for a convenience of maintenance and cleaning, you weren't issued a bunch of loaded magazines for these guns).

The Hakim is a licensed variant of the Swedish Ljungman AutomatgevÃĪr m/42, itself chambered in the Swedish 6.5x55mm Mauser (of course), the Hakim being designed for the 7.92x57mm Mauser cartridge they were using. It uses a tilting breechblock, and operates on direct-impingement, where there's a tube tapping off gas from the bore via the gasblock, which then just plain shoves the bolt-carrier assembly backwards, a little bit like a short-stroke piston if you just eliminated the piston and let the gas shove on the carrier directly instead. Contrary to much belief, this is the only kind of action which described direct-impingement, though the later AR10 and AR15 uses a similar gas tube, the actual function is quite different and much more controlled.

You kinda get gas spraying a little all over the place with each shot, thus gradually building up carbon on the gun and on yourself, so after a day of shooting you will look like a coal miner. Being able to take the magazine off with not too much difficulty is definitely a nice feature for a gun that gets itself pretty dirty like this one does.
>>
File: 1309229282234.jpg (1.16 MB, 2145x3202)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
Theatrical poster for Army Of Darkness. I don't think Bruce Campbell was ever quite *this* buff, but it otherwise captures his face very well. I love the shadow and color in this painting, and details like the little evil mirror clones by his feet.

Army Of Darkness is one of those films which I'll not watch for a long while, and I get this recurring notion to myself that "It's a pretty good movie, but it's not like it's absolutely fantastic or anything." until I give it a rewatch and get reminded that, oh yeah, it's actually extremely fun and satisfying movie that makes me grin ear to ear. I'm more conscious of this now, so I kind of remind myself of this whenever I think of it, but I still find myself pleasantly surprised giving it a rewatch.

I much prefer the S-Mart ending to the post-apocalyptic one, as it's far more heroic and grandiose. The post-apocalyptic ending may have been intended to be a segway to a sequel with Ash fighting deadites in a futuristic wasteland, which could have been quite great, but since that's not a film (or other work) which was ever made, I'm quite content with the S-Mart ending.
>>
File: 1312600569857.jpg (625 KB, 974x1496)
625 KB
625 KB JPG
A different poster (though the line of undead knights on horses seems like it's the same as on the other poster). This one depicts Ash, and in extension Bruce Campbell, as even more ripped.
I like the color contrast here a lot, and the detailed depiction of the mutilated and decomposed Evil Ash.
>>
File: hex date.jpg (1.07 MB, 1116x1579)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
This image is stupidly cute and adorable.
>>
File: Yugo AK Modernized.jpg (508 KB, 1632x918)
508 KB
508 KB JPG
A Yugoslavian AK with some modern parts, a pistolgrip and set of handguards by Hogue, an FAL/Galil style skeleton folding-stock by ACE, and a plastic magazine, by Tapco.

The other parts are good and by reputable makers, but Tapco has always had a stigma to it, one that's not unjustified, a lot of really low quality crap was put out under that brand, though some products of theirs were decent/good-ish, like their G2 trigger set, which would eliminate bolt-slap from some AKs which had that (ergo the trigger resets so hard when recocked that you can feel it as a stiff smack into your trigger finger). Their magazines also seemed to have been decent sometimes, I've heard of people with AKs and Mini-14s say that their plastic magazines are ok, but also heard a lot say their AK mags were trash in their experience. Seems like it may depend on the individual gun in question.

With Remington's bankruptcy sale a while ago, they sold off the Tapco brand to someone else, and who knows if that's ever coming back.This was also the bankruptcy sale where Ruger bought the Marlin brand and IPs from them, apparently for as little as $27 Million.
With a nicer plastic magazine, like a Bakelite, or a Bulgarian waffle pattern magazine, I think pic related would be a pretty cool setup.
>>
This is the actual shotgun which was digitized and used for Duke Nukem 3D, sometimes incorrectly identified as a Mossberg 590 Cruiser, it is in fact a Winchester 1300 Defender with a factory pistolgrip. The shotgun belongs to George Broussard, and he bought it used at a gunshow, it had previously belonged to the Texas Department Of Corrections.

Initially the shotgun was just digitized as is, though apparently when showing one of the demo builds to journalists, it was criticized as looking dull, and like "a grey banana," a criticism which was apparently taken to heart. What was done next was to get some parts to put on the gun, a Tac-Star ventilated heatshield to go over the barrel, and then a Tac-Star vertical foregrip for the pump-slide. The shotgun was then digitized again, in better lighting, and then retouched somewhat in post to accentuate the shading, and to add the Duke Nukem radiation emblem on the side of the receiver.

The Winchester 1200 and 1300 shotguns are pretty cool actually, unlike a lot of other shotguns which use a tilting locking block on the bolt to lock into the top of the receiver or an extension of the barrel protruding into the receiver, the 1300 emulates the AR15, using a steel collar extension on the barrel, and a rotating bolt with radial locking lugs to engage into the collar's locking recesses. This allows the shotgun to use a receiver made out of aluminum, and allows it to be pretty impressively lightweight, which would increase recoil a little, but it also makes it easier to carry around.
Duke Nukem has a pretty cool taste in shotguns.
>>
Some posts I saw once which I think well describes Duke Nukem as a character and why he works so incredibly well in Duke Nukem 3D.
Duke Nukem Forever I think gravely misunderstand what makes Duke Nukem cool and funny, and makes him come off less like a charming and awe inspiring comedic hero, and instead more like an inconsistent sociopath, probably because whoever wrote him in that game don't understand the difference between narcissism and sociopathy.
>>
File: Dukenukemshotgun1.jpg (257 KB, 568x639)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
Compilation of photos which were digitized to create Duke Nukem 3D's shotgun graphics. Somewhat small resolution, but the content comes across. If you look closely you can see the radial-lugged bolt-head on the bolt when the action is open, a dead give away of it being a Winchester 1300.

So this is a shotgun without a shoulder stock, meaning there's strictly no easy way to aim this gun at anything but pretty close distance, and being less steady due to not being able to support it solidly against your shoulder, it's thus slightly less easy to pump. Believe it or not, but shotguns like these can actually be viable, if you put in enough practice and training to get really good with them, and I can imagine a dude like Duke Nukem does, and he's certainly strong enough that operating it comes with great ease to him.
IRL, I would suggest putting a laser sight on a shotgun like this to make it easier to 'point shoot' with the thing, but the scatter effect of shot does let you kind of eyeball it, Duke certainly does so.

Speaking of which, Duke Nukem 3D actually depicts shotgun spread in a reasonably restrained and realistic manner, as opposed to many much later 'realistic' first person shooters which depict shotguns with 90 degree spread from the muzzle and as having their projectiles evaporate after 10ft. You can actually get pretty good hit patterns with this shotgun in the game at distances like 35yds, and while we're on this subject, this is something that the pump-action shotgun in Doom and Doom 2 does as well, providing you with some useful 'medium range' capacity.
Funny how older and more fantastical shooters with far less of a focus on realism gets shotguns better than many later ones which claim realism as a main selling point.
>>
File: 1491738145755.jpg (237 KB, 858x1200)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: phantom.jpg (3.42 MB, 2016x2268)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB JPG
The SITES Spectre M4, a subgun in 9mm Luger, though it operates on just regular blowback, it actually fires from a closed bolt with a striker (or striker-ish) thing. This here is a semi-auto one imported to the US as a pistol, then had its original subgun stock and vertical foregrip (both rare in the US) added to it after being registered as a short-barreled rifle.
This gun has quite a lot of odd features to it, and in construction it's kind of odd itself, being made from a particularly thick gauge of sheet steel (though it's robust as a result). One of the things this weird gun lets you do is to, I don't know how to describe it, "semi-decock" it, and putting it into a pseudo double-action/single-action mode, only it's not actually double-action, and it's more sort of like a Glock's quasi-double-action where it needs to be partially cocked first. I don't really know how to put the mechanics of it into words.

The other feature which it's most famous for (besides its cool looks), is the quad-stack magazines, where two double stacks of cartridges sit side by side, then converge at the top into one double stack (with a two position feed), allowing it to fit a decent bit more ammunition for the given length. At a length comparable to a typical double-stacked 20rd magazine, the Spectre's can fit 30rds, and that's the short one, but for one which is about the length of a typical 30rd magazine, it fits 50rds. As cool as this gun is, apparently the magazines are the bothersome part, described by many as very bothersome to load, and usually they go for well north of $100 by their own.

SITES was hoping that they would be able to sell this gun to Italian law enforcement, but found that they weren't particularly interested, as spaghetti cops had been using Beretta M12 subguns for many years, and found those to be very satisfactory guns. Why waste time and money on what's at best a sidegrade?
>>
File: Remington Model 11.jpg (255 KB, 2312x1430)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
Here's a 1920's era Remington Model 11, with the barrel cut down to 20" (it was longer, but had some damage to it), as well as a magazine tube extension to match the length of the barrel, which I believe may bring up the capacity to six or seven plus one.

The Remington Model 11 is a licensed clone of the Browning Auto-5, a long-recoil shotgun designed by John Moses Browning in 1898, and the first commercially successful automatic shotgun ever put to market, coming out in 1900. Long-recoil is a lot like short-recoil, only the barrel, as the name implies, recoils a much longer throw, the length of the entire cartridge, then a fraction of an inch more.
Here's some slow-motion footage showing the action cycling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEoDnrtVp2c

It looks pretty slick when the entire barrel recoils together with the bolt carrier; the bolt unlocks from the barrel which then is returned forward with the bolt carrier pausing, and then shortly after the bolt carrier goes forward, picking up the next cartridge and locking into the barrel. It utilizes a tilting bolt which locks into the top of the barrel, and the recoil spring is situated inside of the stock, in a sort of angled recoil-buffer style setup.

The original Auto-5 had a magazine cutoff which would let you easily eject the shell in your chamber without loading the next one from your magazine, so if you needed to switch to a slug on the fly that was easy, this feature is missing on the Remington and Savage copies. It's worth noting that the velocity of the barrel depends some on the setup of the 'friction-rings' which are situated around the magazine tube, so if you're planning on shooting light loads, you need to take off the handguards and adjust the setup of the friction rings, likewise for heavy loads which otherwise may batter the stock. It's not entirely unusual to find a used Auto-5 or Model 11 with a damaged stock as a result, but it's easy to prevent.
>>
File: a5straightboy.jpg (164 KB, 1280x508)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
Pictured here is a Browning Auto-5 with a straight-comb stock (and the full length barrel), which was something that was an option for these guns. I think it quite suites the old style aesthetic of these shotguns, and contrary to what some may think, this stock shape is actually rather comfortable (at least in my opinion).
Something which was available from some manufacturers as a police gun was an Auto-5 with a full length magazine tube to go with such a long barrel (and an extra long handguard to match), which would give it a capacity of I think 9 or even 10 plus 1.

The Auto-5 was a very popular shotgun, it stayed in production for a VERY long time, over 75 years I believe, because it just worked very well. Thus, it's very easy to find used Browning Auto-5s, Remington Model 11s, and Savage Model 720s, and often they're not all that expensive, one in decent condition and with an intact stock can go for about $600 or so, while a rougher one can easily be cheaper. These were available in a variety of chamberings, the typical 12-Gauge, but also the smaller 16-Gauge (a less popular shell these days), and 20-Gauge, the yet smaller shell which is the second most common shotgun shell next to 12.

John Moses Browning is said to have considered this gun his best achievement, and it's certainly a good shotgun which has a long history with hunters. Still to this day, people take these out in forests during hunting seasons.
>>
File: Auto-5 Shorty.jpg (366 KB, 1080x1080)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
An Auto-5 with the barrel cut down flush with the magazine tube. As the recoil spring is fitted in an assembly inside the grip of the stock (and the bolt carrier connects to it with a pivoting link), you can't really cut the stocks of these shotguns down very much. I imagine that the drastic reduction in the mass of the recoiling barrel may affect reliability with some loads, but I couldn't say for sure, likely you may want to play with the setup of the friction-rings (potentially you may want a custom set of friction-rings for optimal performance and wear reduction).

Clyde Barrow, fabled counterpart of Elizabeth Bonnie, carried a very short Auto-5 in a shoulder holster kind of rig, calling it his "Whip-It-Gun", as he could rapidly whip out from his coat/jacket and have it shouldered in a second.
>>
File: big soft tomboy titties.jpg (294 KB, 950x1318)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
There was one of these left.
>>
File: oozi nine millimeeta.png (110 KB, 1558x722)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
Work In Progress on a set of sprites which I haven't done anything on in way too long. It's a pair of Mini Uzis intended for a project.

They're based on the Uzis from Shadow Warrior, obviously, but also some work by Cory Whittle (the author of Immoral Conduct). There's a lot of cutting, pasting, and recutting and repasting, as well as some rotating, to get the proportions, angles, and shapes just right, as well as a lot of manual touching up and drawing. The folding stocks are completely drawn manually by me, and I feel they fit stylistically, as well as look correct.

These sprites here will be used for the reloading animations, I've yet to do much work on the actual centered sprites (for having a single Mini-Uzi), or the angled sprites (for dual-wielding). I'm pondering if the right gun will have its stock extended, while the left one will have it folded, as dual weilding would be used as a toggled 'mode' where you bring up the second gun on screen quickly, as a means of providing double the firepower immediately.
Otherwise, the Mini-Uzi can be used as a single gun, stock extended and resting against your shoulder, for less spread and easier recoil.

What I really want to do is to split their reloading process and magazines, so instead of just inexplicably having twice the magazine capacity, each gun tracks its own magazine, and the reload (which will be made pretty fast), can be done one at a time, in case you get in a bind in the middle of it.
>>
File: 1593779864796.png (890 KB, 760x430)
890 KB
890 KB PNG
OP here this is my fave image im retarded and gay
>>
File: vz58 wood.jpg (933 KB, 4272x2848)
933 KB
933 KB JPG
The Vz.58 is a rifle developed in the Czech Republic during the Cold War. The Czechs had initially gone with a 7.62x45mm cartridge for their earlier Vz.52 rifles, but being part of the Warsaw Pact, they were pressured to go for the 7.62x39mm cartridge with their new rifle, to retain ammo commonality if nothing else. In hindsight, a better choice, as the 7.62x45mm cartridge didn't offer all that much more power, about 100fps or so more velocity than 7.62x39mm, and with a comparably weighted projectile, so it wasn't exactly a battle rifle or anything, so might as well use the cartridge your allies are using, it's more practical for an infantry rifle anyway.

This one here is fitted with the really old style furniture made out of actual wood, eventually the Czechs would replace it with furniture made from wood chip infused phenolic resin, colloquially referred to as "Beaver Barf" by westerners. I think the real wood looks nicer, but there's a certain odd charm to the later style.

>>105377
That's a nice dog, I hope he feels better soon.
>>
File: vz58 stripper.webm (2.87 MB, 500x326)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB WEBM
This .webm demonstrates one of the features of the Vz.58 which is unusual, the ability to take a stripper clip to load the magazine, an SKS stripper clip, in fact. One clip holds 10rds, and thus stripping three clips into a magazine would fully loaded. God knows why the rifle has this feature, but it's there, probably a relic from when the design was still intended for the longer and (barely) higher powered 7.62x45mm cartridge.

Some may assume the Vz.58 to be a weird AK clone at a quick glance, but it actually works entirely differently, and shares no parts.
>AK uses a long-stroke gas piston which is part of the bolt-carrier, the VZ has a short-stroke piston which shoves the carrier
>AK uses a rotating bolt with two lugs (like on an M1 rifle), while the VZ uses a linearly moving bolt with a tilting locking block (like the slide on a P38 or 92FS pistol)
>AK uses a typical swinging hammer, VZ uses a linear striker
>AK has no bolt hold-open and will close on an empty chamber after taking the last round from its steel magazine, VZ has a bolt hold-open tripped by the follower of its aluminum magazine, the gun will lock open after the last shot, and will stay open while you change the magazine

There's even further differences, like the machined steel receiver the Vz.58 always stuck with, yet retaining lighter weight than the stamped steel receiver the AKM settled with, or how the fire control group works, but these are the most significant differences.
>>
File: octopussy11-main1.jpg (840 KB, 2100x3000)
840 KB
840 KB JPG
Well, there goes the old thread.

Here's a picture of Roger Moore with a Vz.58 rifle, in the James Bond movie Octopussy, riding down a bannister and gunning down goons. Some people don't like how the 007 movies with Roger Moore are more light hearted, with more fantastical plots and more goofy humor added in, but I actually find them pretty charming. I like that those movies are so different, that they're such a contrast to the Timothy Dalton movies, which are much more grounded and far more serious and brutal.

I appreciate how each of those eras differ in style, and I like Moore's and Dalton's the very most, particularly for being opposites.
>>
File: EIpcy0mWsAAFjUq.jpg (218 KB, 1578x1660)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
A nice fanart of Samus Aran. The waistline on the suit does look extreme, but she would actually fit inside of it comfortably. The morphball part is still up to your imagination though.
>>
2048 Units Of /vr/ is finally updated to Version 1.5
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/116497-new-update-v15-2048-units-of-vr-boom-megawad-for-doom-ii/
Pictured is a screenshot from one of the levels, played with a mod project I've been working on for quite some time.

This should be the last things to fix with this project. Errors included the keys on Map 24 not being tagged to spawn on Easy and Medium difficulties, as well as a linedef trigger which *I* fucked up on another map when I was supposed to fix it before. Let's pray this shit doesn't need any more work done to it, I really want to move on, I think both me and the other people on /vr/ have better things to do and can do better maps in the future.

If you're interested in further Doom level sets by /vr/, there's also a project called Hard Fast Faggot Maps, which should be due pretty soon. Regrettably I didn't have any real time to contribute any levels to that, but I did help a guy with his own map.
>>
>>105979
Oh nice, good work
>>
File: shadowwarriornes.png (1.07 MB, 940x1074)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
Goofy mockup I did once, because I always thought the prototype cover art for Shadow Warrior looked kinda like some of the cover art for some NES games, such as Wizards & Warriors. It bears the Apogee logo, as that's the name 3D Realms would have gone as if they had made a game for the NES around say, 1990. Still uses the later Shadow Warrior logo though, as it just looks more striking and gives more contrast against the backdrop. Probably missing some copyright text and what not, but the Nintendo seal is still there.

Shadow Warrior actually started development as early as 1992, and the very earliest Alpha build which has been released was straight up a Wolfenstein 3D style game, 90 degree walls and everything made in fixed squares, so to say (though there was barely anything to this build aside from a very basic demonstration). Shadow Warrior coming out in 1997, it had quite a long development cycle, and changed quite a lot over this time, from the beginning it was much more 'classic' ninja stuff with the black garbs and all, like you'd see with oh so many 1980s home computer games such as the Last Ninja series.

There was some fair bit of emphasis on magic, something which is almost gone in the final game, but is focused on a lot more with the 2013 reboot. It also seems like it would have been far less crass and not nearly as violent, but this gradually changed as Apogee/3D Realms grew larger and larger balls with Rise Of The Triad and then especially Duke Nukem 3D.

>>105980
Another /vr/ regular, or a passerby?
>>
File: 1606248837355.jpg (235 KB, 1456x1820)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
The full painting as would have been used for Shadow Warrior. This art was painted by Julie Bell, body builder and wife of fabled master painter (and hedonistic body builder) Boris Vallejo. They have similar tastes and styles, but she's a damn good artist in her own right.

This art would later be sold on and used for some novel of some sort, which I think had no actual association with Shadow Warrior at all (which is fun, as the design of the dude on the cover, his weird arm guard weapon, and particularly the big serpent demon, the latter who made it to the finished game, were all based on Shadow Warrior concepts). Bell also painted covers to many other games, such as Wolfenstein 3D, as well as a bunch of titles for the Sega Genesis.
>>
File: HUFFEM.png (307 KB, 1876x1186)
307 KB
307 KB PNG
Oh goddammit, I just found out there's a bug in Map 29 (the best map in the set), which softlocks you. It never ends this shit, someone else will have to fix it this time, I'm way too busy to do that now, and Repugnus better not drag his fucking feet on submitting it to iDGames this time.
Next time, I'll just say that version 1.6 is out, and not jinx myself again. Making this statement, I've condemned us to having to keep working until version 2.0 or something like that.

Pic is the origin of the current /vr/ Doom Project. They didn't make it up to 32 maps, more like I think 18, but I've tested some of the levels and they're sick as fuck. One in particular is extremely novel and well made, I've never been so stressed and excited by a Doom level before
>>
File: jill macs.jpg (160 KB, 800x1098)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
Some art of Jill Valentine from I think Resident Evil 5, where she's evil for some reason (I couldn't get into that game).

This image features a very nice butt, also the MAC M11 pistols (or subguns without stocks?) are given very accurate detail overall, the sling swivel plate on the front hangs down with gravity, the bolts are locked back in the open position, ready to fire, and the front sights are even properly depicted as the crude cut-out stamped shapes they actually are.
The magazines seem to feature two wedges serving as over-insertion stops stamped into them, which isn't a feature for the magazines of any of the Military Arms Corporation, Cobray, or SWD guns that I know of, rather this is the style of over-insertion stops you would see on Uzi magazines. Perhaps they are modified.
>>
... aaand there the old thread dropped off of the site's archive.

Here's the 1.6 Version of 2048 Units Of /vr/
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/116497-new-update-v16-2048-units-of-vr-boom-megawad-for-doom-ii/
I will say nothing about it.
>>
File: 4506 pistol.jpg (56 KB, 800x494)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Smith & Wesson's "third generation" automatics are some of my favorite pistols. Most are all stainless steel (with some aluminum frames), they're all hammer-fired, and they're DA/SA or DAO, with some classic 1911-ish looking slides.

Pictured is the Smith & Wesson 4506, featuring some rubber Hogue grips. The 4506 is chambered for .45 Auto, and can with an extra strength recoil spring be used to shoot .45 Super, it has an 8+1 capacity. This is what I call a fucking pistol, all steel, large bore, hammer fired, full sized, you could use it as a club if you had to and it wouldn't be worse for wear.
>>
File: 1006 S&W 10mm.jpg (394 KB, 2943x2142)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
The Smith & Wesson 1006, much like the 4506, but chambered for 10mm Auto, with a 9rd magazine. These are fairly sought after, due to the hardcore cult following of the 10mm Auto cartridge.
>>
File: 5906 9mm Luger.jpg (446 KB, 700x1250)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
The Smith & Wesson 5906 is the version in 9mm Luger, with a slightly shorter barrel and slide, and with a double-stack 14rd magazine. With the all steel frame, the weight and and lack of flex in these pistols makes them noticeably softer shooting than any of the later plastic framed pistols which replaced it.

With the Glock 17 coming out in the 80s, at a low cost, light weight, and with a 17rd magazine, it became very popular and took over a lot after guns like these, which gradually fell by the wayside. These days, you can get high quality, flush fitting 17rd magazines by MecGar, and these fit flush in the 5906, letting these old things be pretty competitive still (especially if you don't mind the weight for carrying, or if you outright prefer the feel of it and the hammer, like I do).
>>
The Smith & Wesson 5904 is much the same as the 5906, only the frame is anodized aluminum, and the slide is blued steel. It'd be lighter, though I suspect it doesn't have as long of a lifespan, steel slide riding on an aluminum frame, and it probably has a little bit more felt recoil. I like the dark finish on the gun overall though.
>>
This cute little thing is a Mini Revolver by North American Arms, one of many kinds.

They make quite a wide variety of small revolvers in .22 caliber rimfire cartridges, including .22 Short, .22 Long Rifle, and .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum, and in a variety of configurations. Most have you pull out the axis pin to remove the cylinder for loading and unloading, but they do make a few different ones, like a swing-out cylinder hand ejector, and a top-break (I think actually automatic) ejector. They're all single-action, though they lack any kind of transfer bar, they have a really oldschool feature where there's a slot cut between each chamber on the cylinders which the blade-style rimfire pin on the hammer can be rested, leaving the action securely locked and the hammer unable to hit any of the cartridges (a bit like on some old cap and ball revolvers).
They also have some neat unusual ones, like one with a grip which the gun folds into, kind of like a folding pocking knife, and one which comes fitted into a belt-buckle, I guess if you wanted to open-carry in a really unusual way (you can just pull it out of its mount and use it as a 'normal' gun).

This is their smallest one, in little .22 Short, with some coins for scale. Most wouldn't look at a gun like this as anything else but an adorable novelty, but it is still a firearm, and it's one which could be concealed even on the beach.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.