[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: doom.jpg (126 KB, 1083x609)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
If this game was released by a Japanese dev /v/ would like it.
Just beat it on ultra-violence and thought it was great and DIFFERENT.

> Deep, engaging combat system.
> High paced action
> Forgettable, backseat story line
> Awesome graphics and optimisation.

> B-but you have to keep changing weapons!
It's a feature! The entire combat system is based around changing weapons based on what enemies you're against; stop playing on easy difficulty.

> B-but the aesthetic is more cartoony!
Unironically agree, it leans too hard on the WoW/Starcraft aesthetic imho.

> B-but the marauder is totally uninteresting!
Also agree, lame enemy indeed.

> B-but the first 3 hours are boring!
Also agree.

When the game gives you all the mechanics and just throws you in giant battle arenas against hordes of different enmies, it really comes into its own.
It's a great game; the fact it comes from a fairly pos'd publisher makes it all the more surprising how good it is.
>>
why does it have water traversal
>>
>>570938206
A lot of people were filtered by the mechanics. They failed to understand that this is DMC in first-person, the poor souls.
>>
>>570938206
Is ultra violence the hardest difficulty?
I played max difficulty and spent like 3 hours on the final boss
was a really fun game probably goty 2020 for me
>>
>>570938494
no, there's nightmare after ultra-violence.
>>
>>570938383
Yeah again, I was really confused by the inclusion of this because the puzzles were easy enough for a 4 year old to figure them out. Felt like it was variety for the sake of it.

>>570938494
Nah not even close to hardest difficulty. Felt like a good level of challenge for me though. I'd be very interested to try the game again on a higher difficulty although yeah, the first few hours of the game are kinda boring desu.
>>
>>570938206
/v/ isn't one person. I like it, but it's a bit too hectic on Nightmare. I can't play more than two-three levels in a single sitting without feeling oversaturated, needing a break from the game. The game isn't made to be marathoned - that's not a flaw but it is what it is.
>>
>>570938206
i do like it
>>
>>570938206
Yes
But since it's westernshit, fuck off.
>>
nuDOOMs are nothing but PS2 era God Of War ripoffs, made in first-person.
Calling them "Doom" or even "first person shooters" is an absolute disgrace. Their art-directing is also that same bulky, over-designed crap Blizzfags use these days.
>>
>>570938206
>If this game was released by a Japanese dev /v/ would like it.
I'm trying to remember the last time Japan released an FPS.
>>
File: yeschad.jpg (106 KB, 1000x1000)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>570939091
>nuDOOMs are nothing but PS2 era God Of War ripoffs, made in first-person.
>>
>>570938383
>first time playing
>get to taras nabad
>take 10 minutes to figure out the water puzzle because i never used dash to break a wall before
>>
>>570938206
played it for two hours, didn't like it
>>
>>570938401
>dmc
Just because you swap weapons doesn't make it dmc, retard
>>
>>570939091
>gow schizo at it again
Пoccaл нa тeбя
>>
>>570938206
Great game. Once you get used to switching weapons, surviving and moving around the arenas feels great. The posessed demons from the dlc are niggers but apart from that, I enjoyed it
>>
play it without the quick swap upgrade you absolute pussies
>>
>>570939758
For me it's famine cheat
>>
I like something Gmanlives said:
> Doom Eternal has made FPS games so much more than running around pushing the left mouse button.

Absolutely true.
>>
>>570938206
>deep engaging combat system
this is one of my favorite games but please shut the fuck up
>>
>>570939360
THERE IS A TUTORIAL MESSAGE

>>570938494
Nightmare is UV but enemies are more aggressive and deal twice the damage.

Ultra-Nightmare is Nightmare but if you die your save is deleted.
>>
>>570939904
I love DE but Ggggggman is a shill and also is bad at FPS.
>>
>>570940156
they're not mutually exclusive you know.
>>
>>570940094
you can tutorials off, and they should have done them in ways that didn't pause the whole fuckin game
this game was kind of shit at teaching through playing
>>
>>570940094
nigga i'm not a pussy playing on easy with them automatically turned on, and everytime i dashed near a wall i always pressed melee as well
>>
File: 12312r3.png (843 KB, 1048x1048)
843 KB
843 KB PNG
>>570938206
>If this game was released by a Japanese dev /v/ would like it

No shit.
>>
>>570938206
Amazing game. Only people who didn't like it are console peasants because it is impossible to enjoy game like this on a gamepad and weapon wheel ruins flow. Also boomers who can't comprehend doing anything other than clicking left mouse button.
>>
>>570940263
Teaching through playing is gay on replays and DE tutorials are basically like intrusive in-game manual.
>>
>>570940263
The tutorial messages were pretty frustrating desu. When you meet a Marauder for the first game, a tutorial message immediately pops up to tell you how to beat them.

Like, at least let me have the opportunity to work out for myself that when a giant green flash appears they're weaker I'm not stupid.
>>
>>570938206
I really disliked the cooldown based resource economy and how it basically gives you infinite ammo and life while costing nothing and feeling very weak in some regards. That flamethrower was the silliest shit I've seen in vidya.
Also a grenade swap button for two grenade types, I can understand why they would do this for consolefags but was it REALLY that hard to fix this shit on PC?
>>
>>570940672
>a grenade swap button for two grenade types
Deliberate design decision.
>>
>>570940346
if they had good game design, it wouldn't even feel like a tutorial after you learned what to do on your first playthrough, it'd just feel like playing the game every subsequent run
>>
>>570940743
There is absolutely no reason to have that shit unless you're a gamepad nigger. Hence why I said it's retarded that it even exists on PC.
>>
>>570940781
Or you can just play with tutorials.

>>570940815
no, it's to "prevent spamming and make each grenade throw feel like a decision"

which is silly since spamming is already not a great idea on higher difficulties
>>
>>570940815
>kbmbab

lmao filtered
>>
>>570940882
>no, it's to "prevent spamming and make each grenade throw feel like a decision"
You would have the same cooldown on every grenade. You would just push one button to throw whichever one you want instead of two. How the fuck is adding an unnecessary switch button beneficial here?
>>
>>570941007
>nooooo i need to frag these charlies with my mouse MOOOOOOOOOOOOM
>>
>>570941007
Well, you don't mash both buttons, you carefully select the necessary grenade and throw it. I don't know why you seem to be arguing with me. It's not my argument, it's literally the reason given by Game Director Hugo Martin.
>>
>>570938383
Better question is why does water traversal keep you from using any weapons when Quake didn't have this problem over two decades ago. Did the devs seriously think it would have been too "unrealistic" for the game where you absorb ammo and health from torn up demons?

Having some element of underwater combat/secret switches to shoot would have at least made those sections moderately more interesting.
>>
get that mmo rotation cooldown bullshit out of my face!
>>
>>570941128
I don't care if Shartin Martin said that it's there to seem "deliberate". The only reason it exists is simply because the gamepad layout necessitates this as you can't comfortably press down on the dpad or wherever that button was in the thick of combat to throw a grenade. It should not even be a switch for two types. Hence why it is fucking retarded on PC.
>>
>chainsaws for magic ammo
>shoots epic Arachnotron™ weakpoint after lining up shot for 5 seconds while dashing side to side because pro Quake™ skills
>retarded door opening cutscene plays
>"Mhmm....rip and tear.. looks like the Hell Priest™ is nearby.. I will rip and tear because I am the ancient Doom Slaya™
>"Come on, Vega™"
>follows Skyrim™ compass
>Picks up 10 epic fanfiction-tier lore dumps about how badass the Slaya™ is on the way
>Door locks behind the Slaya™ and demons appear
>cacophony of retarded monster noises while the fart synth kicks into action
>"Rip and tear" WUBWUBWUBBWAMBWAMDUUUUUNUUUUNUUHHHNHUHHH *Uses Flame Belch™ on a deliberately spawned group of Possessed™ and they become Staggered™, does a badass Heat Blast™ and Armor Shards™ fly into the Slaya™'s face*
>switches weapons 75 times
>dashes aimlessly waiting for a Possessed™ to spawn
>swings on monkey bars
>performs impse
>250 arena laps and 150 chainsaw uses later the Slaya™ is victorious
>Mhmm.. The Hell Priest™ is not here.. Better tell Samuel Hayden™ about this
>"Come on, Vega™"
>Walks two meters and Alien Queen™ appears in an epic cutscene
>"You will not defeat me, Slaya™, I am the Emperor of the Universe and you are nothing but a Usurper™, the Kar En Kuk™ Council of Elder Alien Space Sentinel Argent D' Nur™ has banished you from the alien kingdom and I will defeat you!"
>Cut to black and level ends before epic boss fight so player can process how epic this is and maybe make a Reddit™ post about it before carrying on
>DUNDUNDUNBWAMBWAMBWAM Mick Gordon farting BAM BAM BAM 50 ACTION POINTS 5 CRUCIBLE CREDIT SENTINEL SHIP ARGENT RECEIVED
>>
>>570941524
Finally
>>
>>570938206
>DOOM IS LIKE BERSERK AND DEVIL MAY CRY AND SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI AND
I wish
There's a lot to it that reminds me of trends people claim to hate elsewhere
Doom is unironically tame for a "heavy metal series about an angry soldier chainsawing demons from hell"
>>
>>570941524
lmao pretty much this tbqh famalam desu senpai
>>
>>570938206
>doom boomers misrepresenting doom
>treats debunked rumor as fact (doom is keyboard only) and brings back the same tired old discussion subjects, may or may not be the cause of someone's personal experience sometimes related to a port of mod
>doom zoomers misrepresenting doom
>makes superlative statements (doomguy is the strongest and most tragic characters), may or may not have played a lot of other games or consume any other media, could as well be just a biased fanboy
>>
File: 4da.png (73 KB, 714x800)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>omg are those cooldowns
>omg are those unnecessary rpg elements
>hecking wowie, number go up!!!!!!!!
>>
>>570938206
At least Metadoom is fucking awesome.
>>
>>570938206
The Marauder is more like one of those enemy types in a game that have a few particular gimmicks than an actual "character rival" type of enemy.
To make a rival character you must:
>make sure their moveset is interesting enough to warrant playability in an hypothetical campaign/single player
>make their attacks and moves almost parallel the player's character, even with some differences
>make them "cooler", either because of gameplay alove or sometimes in presentation (e.g. when they make the protagonist look foolish or have their asses kicked by their rival)
The Marauder does not fill a single one of these aspects.
The Dark Lord is worse, considering they made him a Doomguy look a like.
For a series where "gameplay comes first", they took a well known videogame concept and fucked it up.
>>
>>570938206
>If this game was released by a Japanese dev /v/ would like it.
Japs can't into FPS.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.