[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 62362333.jpg (117 KB, 1554x809)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
Why are these textures still allowed in a game released in 2022?
>>
File: 62362334.jpg (162 KB, 2308x1144)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
Another example on the right arm
>>
>>559109092
Do something, faggot.
>>
>>559109092
>Muh fakin grapdics
You're the reason games sucks now
>>
>>559109092
Don't care. Looks hype as fuck
>>
>>559109092
>not my problem
>>
>>559109092
Because it's a PS4 game from 2019 that was stuck in development hell.
>>
>>559109092
literally who gives a fuck
>>
>>559109092
you should make a mod replacing all the textures
>>
>giving enough of a shit to make this thread
unironically sort out your life
>>
>>559109092
Fromsoft has never been a graphic leader.
Now, that being said, it is odd how these textures look worse than Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro. I don't know how they managed that. I suspect that they don't know how to optimize an open world game very well, and so textures are taking the hit in favor of a stable framerate.
>>
>>559109092
Just play it on PC and download a reshade.
>>
>Why are games now 200GB? This is absurd!
>REEEEEEEE WHY AREN'T THESE TEXTURES 4K ULTRA?
>>
>>559109092
>ugly ass game
>still gonna be goty
this kill the snoy
>>
File: 1624657657652.png (29 KB, 225x450)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>559111794
Textures don't affect the performance. Worst case; you might run out of VRAM and get hitches because the game has to load from the storage drive. These hitches will only occur if you have a slower HDD rather than a fast HDD or an SSD. These hitches can also be resolved using mipmapping and multithreaded loading.
>>
>>559109092
Graphics SHOULD stagnate. That would allow developers to focus on higher framerates, bigger scope, higher quality content, etc.
Up to the sixth generation, graphical advancements served a gameplay purpose. Clearer visuals allowed for better feedback, more advanced choreography, and more variety. But it became clear with the seventh gen that we had reached the point of diminishing returns, where if anything graphical advancements started to interfere with the gameplay.
>>
>>559113397
Explain this in Layman's terms. I find it very difficult to believe that textures don't affect performance.
>>
>>559109092
Because it was developed for consoles that released in 2013.
>>
>>559112838
Dude the game was LITERALLY made for PS first. PC is only a shitty port.
>>
File: 1588535037514.jpg (115 KB, 447x437)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>559109092
>muh graffix
Go play one of Druckmann's shit games.
>>
If I valued graphics over gameplay I'd play any of the generic AAA garbage that's available now.
>>
>>559113605
(Not him)
The conventional wisdom is that it doesn't take much longer to sample a 512x512 texture than it does a 256x256 one, and that the limiting factor for texture quality is therefore the amount of VRAM rather than performance concerns.
My suspicion is that it probably isn't as simple as that, but at least in PC games you'll often find you can ramp up texture quality if you have enough VRAM without impacting performance much.
>>
>Why are these textures still allowed in a game released in 2022?
Did Sekiro have any low res textures in its reveals?
>>
>>559113605
Textures are usually loaded in VRAM when the game loads. VRAM is pretty fast. Texture sampling is a native process, too -- the chip itself knows how to sample a texture. It's also a simple lookup, i.e, each texel(fundamental unit of a texture) in the loaded texture corresponds to its coordinates. So a texture lookup is basically instant. All of that is also done in parallel. Texture filtering is pretty fast too. You might've noticed that you don't get any framerate drops even if you set it to anisotropic x16.
>>
>>559114385
Kind of you to assume I know what VRAM is, or how it functions.

>>559114698
If texture sampling is near instant, then why in some games when you move, you can see textures textures popping in from low to hi resolution? I mean, why not just have the far object loaded in with a high resolution texture, so when it comes close you don't notice the change?

Also, in Dark Souls 1 for PC, if you warp to the parish bonfire, you can actually see the textures still loading for sen's fortress. It happens quickly, but you can still see it easily if you're paying attention. I don't know, I just thought it was interesting how Fromsoft overlooked something like that.
>>
File: 129 - WqvoDzM.jpg (624 KB, 3840x2160)
624 KB
624 KB JPG
>>559113934
It's not as simple as that.
The graphical quality of ND games works to make the characters feel more human/alive and brings more atmosphere to the world, both of which serve to enhance the storytelling.
Enhancing the story indirectly enhances the gameplay, because you feel more immersed in what you're doing if you care about why you're doing it.
It doesn't matter whether you actually like ND's games or not- if you don't, just imagine this tech applied to a game you do like, and it should be obvious that it would make it even better.
>>
>>559109092
better than FF7R's.
It seem nips just can't do textures.
>>
File: 1619710961968.webm (886 KB, 1280x720)
886 KB
886 KB WEBM
>>559115210
You're just being a graphics whore.
ND's games may have all of this impressive tech, but the gameplay always takes a back seat as a result of it.
Here's this webm, literally takes away as much player input as possible just to make the animations look impressive with mocap.
Style over substance.
More realism doesn't always = more fun.
>>
fromshills are going full force today
>>
>>559109092
because consoles exist. You should ask why consoles exist in 2021?
>>
>>559109092
because people usually care more about gameplay
>>
File: 379 - 80otohd.jpg (708 KB, 3840x2160)
708 KB
708 KB JPG
>>559115663
I honestly felt more absorbed playing TLOU2 than I have in almost any other game, despite the linearity and lack of gameplay innovation, because its world was so beautiful and its characters so convincing that I didn't care about those things. I don't want every game to be like that but it shows what's possible, and what good graphics can do beyond just being pretty.
>webm
They went with contextual animations over a more complex melee system, sure. That doesn't bother me because direct melee combat isn't the focus of the gameplay, stealth is.
>>
Seething over textures? Nice one fromsoft make those babys cry
>>
>>559109092
Because Fromdrones are literal shit eaters much like much like Blizzard fans.
>>
>>559115151
VRAM is basically RAM in the GPU.
>If texture sampling is near instant, then why in some games when you move, you can see textures textures popping in from low to hi resolution?
Like I mentioned, it's because your hard drive is the bottleneck. The textures "popping in" is basically your game loading mipmaps first in parallel to everything else. Mipmaps are basically smaller and less detailed versions of your textures, usually autogenerated. Mipmaps are loaded and shown first because your hard drive can stream smaller things faster. This is why you see the textures increase in detail as your mipmaps are replaced with better/bigger textures, instead of seeing a fallback pink or just transparent objects while your HDD loads the bigger textures. These things still happen(rare), but that's usually when your hard drive is falling behind, or the game sucks at managing its textures. You still won't get performance drops -- the game doesn't care if the texture is loaded or processed. It keeps going.
>I mean, why not just have the far object loaded in with a high resolution texture, so when it comes close you don't notice the change?
Again, VRAM limitations and HDD speed. Even if you do multithread and use mipmaps, your HDD doesn't have the speed or the response time to load everything in high-res without resulting in the visual issues that I've mentioned. Far away objects usually also use mipmaps.
Again, all of these things can be solved by getting a better HDD, or just getting an SSD. For example, Unreal Engine's Nanite just streams things from your SSD, because SSDs are fast enough. You probably won't see any mipmaps with Nanite, if SSDs are indeed fast enough as UE's devs claim.
>>
>>559109092
graphicsfags are subhumans who are to blame for making devs focus on graphics instead of making games fun and good

kys, waste of space
>>
File: emma sekiro.jpg (134 KB, 889x1200)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>559111794
>open world
isn't sekiro, bloodborne and all the souls games open world?
>>
File: Perfection.png (1.44 MB, 1920x1080)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
>>559109092
"emboldened by the flame of ambition... someone must extinguish thy flame!"
This has such a deep meaning, it is not only about the player rising up to the challenge and defeating the boss, but it is also about From Software and Hidetaka Miyazaki in the role of the player but at their own game of game development, rising up against their previous games and the supreme standard they have set for the gaming industry, and surpassing them all with the flame of ambition that fuels their creative genius... Elden Ring will be the magnum opus of From Software and Hidetaka Miyazaki and one of the best games ever made, if not the best game ever made.

"emboldened by the flame of ambition... someone must extinguish thy flame!"
This single line still sends chills down my spine and makes my heart tingle with feelings that I only felt when I was a child, feelings I'd thought I wouldn't experience again as a grown man. Thinking about the amazing OST I will enjoy, the ethereal and surreal vistas I will see when exploring and adventuring in this wondrous world of Elden Ring, the lore and story secrets I will discover, the fine-tuned and satisfying combat and boss fights I will get to enjoy, the artistic weapons, armor and robes that will adorn my character... I have tears in my eyes as I write this, these positive feelings are the truth of life, true love, true happiness.

God Bless Hidetaka Miyazaki the Great,
God Bless From Software,
I love you and thank you, for as long as you are around, Gaming will always have something valuable to offer me.
>>
>>559116874
You're gonna make the genrefags seethe, anon
>>
it's a PS4 game, what do you expect?
>>
>>559116874
They aren't in the traditional sense, no. You can just walk freely between areas.
>>
File: 1528710350192.webm (631 KB, 960x540)
631 KB
631 KB WEBM
Because it needs to be released on consoles
Consoles hold graphics back
>>
>>559115663
as somebody who has been playing souls games for a decade and has also played tlou2, I can assure you that what is happening in that webm is no more different than r1 spam stunlocking an enemy to death in a souls game

What that webm doesn't show is the fact that you can't do this to every enemy, enemies will counter your melee spam with a push and counterattack, and certain enemies like stalkers have stunlock immunity. If you have a quick weapon, then you can sneak little attacks in during each and every stalker swipe for example, and it's very fun to beat them this way. Some enemies also block all your strikes, same as literally any other melee game. It's not as simple as "walk up and press square once to get a contextual kill"

>literally takes away as much player input as possible
No it doesn't? The player is hitting the melee button with each of those punches, they could, at any point in time, stop punching and whip out a gun while the enemy is stunned

Tlou1 melee is primarily about the style, tlou2's is what actually added melee fundamentals like dodging, but this doesn't mean Tlou1's melee had nothing of value
>>
>>559116952
>No!
*proceeds to strech my legs*
>>
>>559118064
Based.
>>
>>559109092
As long as people suck Miyazaki's cock they will get away with it.
Remember DS2 was destroyed because of the textures, but now there is Miyazaki behind this game so it's ok! Nobody even cared of shitty lightning in Dark Souls 3.
>>
>>559109092
Closest character is blurred because of DoF, other is blurred because of garbage YT video encoding. The graphics don't look great but they aren't bad.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.