[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: i6jiyf3y3sc01.png (801 KB, 2428x3417)
801 KB
801 KB PNG
What are some video games with interesting elemental systems?
>>
why is rock super effective on flying types in pokemon but steel isnt? if i threw a chunk of steel at a bird it would be just as devestating as a chunk of rock
>>
>>554323101
there's some famous experiment where scientists compared a kilogram of steel to a kilogram of feathers and found them to be the same weight. Presumably a feathered creature is as strong as a steel creature.
>>
File: rtyh.png (165 KB, 860x600)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>>554323362
I can't come up with a counter argument for this. Huh.
>>
>>554323362
i see that makes sense i guess
>>
File: Wu_Xing.png (229 KB, 1070x1070)
229 KB
229 KB PNG
>>554322648
That picture is cool, but I like the chinese version more. Different ways to go between symbols mean different things, so if you go in a circle, you get a cycle of creation and by going in a pentagram, you get a cycle of destruction.
>>
>>554324501
It fits in that framework nicely but making wood an element always seemed weird to me. Almost seems like it should be "Life" or something but then things start not matching up as well.
>>
>>554322648
The "Three Primes":
>Salt/Purification/Physicality/Body/Prakrti,
>Sulfur/Male/Hot/Dry/Fire/Change/Gold/Sun/Soul/Oil/Emotion/Desire, >Mercury/Female/Cold/Wet/Water/Silver/Moon/Liquor/Spirit/Imagination
(Jabir ibn Hayyan, 8th century Alchemist) (Paracelsus, the "Tria Prima")
>>
>>554322648
real life
>>
>>554324501
I think the Four-Directions or Five-Directions are a better "system" than the Five-Changes, but I never understood why it was less popular in video games...
>>
>>554322648
Chinese Systems > European Systems >>> Hindi Systems
>Imagine not believing that North is not Black, Cold and Yin
>>
>>554327161
Most Blacks live in the South anon.
>>
>>554325334
Sure, elements like that feel kinda unfitting, but I guess it's just our cultures. Either way, I like the chinese version more because of the cycles.
>>554326864
I feel like Five Changes could work very well in games. For example, in an MMORPG, you could have spells that have these elemental attributes and people could also choose to align themselves with an element. Then, when you hit something with, let's say, Water, you will affect connected elements in a specific way - anyone with a Fire element will take damage, but everyone with the Earth element will be healed, both including allies. This way, the game could have this as the healing system, where allies attempt to hit each other with positively affecting elements and avoid hitting each other with negative ones.
It might be a bit too complex of an idea, especially for larger battles, but I think the core theme of being able to help or hurt depending on your elemental alignment is an interesting one.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.