[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: jokertired.jpg (4 KB, 275x183)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
Turn based RPGs are among the best gaming has to offer and I'm tired of pretending it's not.
>>
you should stop pretending on some other website
>>
But majority of turn based RPGs are shit, so you have through pile of manure to fine something good.
>>
>>545570126
I always found it funny how turn based RPG players lways saw themselves as one of the big brains of gaming but they need a turn to slowly think wtf to do next, that's not how confrontation works
unironically meme games like TF2 require more brain to make multiple decisions in the split of a second, no room for "muh I need more time teehee", that's for mental midgets
>>
>>545570126
Yeah, no shit. Thanks for the blogpost though.
>>
>>545570126
Which turn based RPG’s are among the best and what sets them apart from the rest?
>>
File: 1593213860844.jpg (17 KB, 405x452)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>545570126
Turn based anything is objectively obsolete. It's like saying you want to watch movies on black and white television. Besides, turn based fags are turbo brainlets who can't handle making quick tactical decisions on the fly and need to have shit slowed down for their peabrains to comprehend what is happening. I'm looking at you X-Com fags.
>>
>>545571118
What about card games?
>>
>>545570563
>>545570605
>>545571118
go away zoomers

stop pretending you are "thinking" in your shit overwatch and TF2 games, it's pure randomness and luck with a bit of clever positioning and knowing the meta game

your brain is too under-developed to even understand the concept of turn based games
>>
>>545571118
Let me guess you only play Starcraft BW?
>>
>>545570126
yeah im sure if i was fat ugly and stupid i would also enjoy turn-based combat but alas i am not and on account of my fully-functional brain i am unable to enjoy it
>>
Every low budget RPG should just play like DAO
>>
>>545571772
>be bad at video games
>cope
many such cases!
>>
>>545571772
>go away zoomers
I wish.
Last good turn based RPG I played was underrail, nothing even slightly decent came out since then.
>>
>>545571118
>It's like saying you want to watch movies on black and white television.
Not really, that would be saying I want to play Doom Eternal on a Pentium III. Your analogy should be something like "it's like making a B&W movie today" but I bet you changed it instantly once you realized that people still do that all the time.
>>
All I want is full control of my party. No one man army shit. No absolutely garbage AI wasting my consumable resources. An actual team of characters who work well together. That’s it.

FF7Remake knew it had shit party AI and tried to make up for it with a bunch of shitty passive materia that forced them to make certain actions for you. So you either man handled them into a single role or you swapped around constantly doing every little thing yourself. It was completely obnoxious and didn’t add shit.
>>
>>545571772
biggest cope I've read today on /v/ - Trannies and Coombaits
>stop pretending you are "thinking"
oh the irony
>>
>>545570871
Divinity OS2
Player Freedom
>>
Turn-based RPGs are retarded to anyone who didn't grow up playing them. Games have advanced so far now that a character just standing there and letting themselves get hit breaks immersion.
>>
>>545570126
move on
>>
>>545573142
Why is immersion so important to you? I’ve never once considered it as part of my gameplay experience. Characters are already shooting fireballs and eating dozens of bullets so what makes slower pacing such a deal breaker when nothing is that realistic to begin with?
>>
Turn based is the only thing acceptable for me if i want to control more than 1 character at the same time. I still haven't played a game that makes it enjoyable without it being turn based.
>>
>>545573473
It still has to make sense within in its own universe. Just standing where as an easily avoidable attack heads your way looks retarded, especially when the game has cutscenes that show the characters fighting normally.
>>
>>545570563
That applies to literally every genre and every artistic medium, though. Why single out RPGs?
>>
>>545570126
>Turn based RPGs are among the best gaming has to offer
Partial agree. I think tactical is slightly better.
>>
>>545570126
Any game that loses any skill requirement by reading a guide is utter trash.
>>
>>545573142
>Games have advanced so far now that a character just standing there and letting themselves get hit breaks immersion
As opposed to facing off against a huge demon the size of a mountain who's full of rage and hatred, only for him to lazily stand in one spot, occasionally slamming his fist against the ground 20 feet away from you?
Or your character getting shot 500 times and blown up by 20 grenades in a boss fight, only to be threatened by a gun during a cutscene?
>>
>>545572858
Brainlets can’t into analogies
>>
>>545574176
>I had to read a guide to beat the one turn based game I’ve played
>>
>>545571396
Pure RNG crap. Only for mindless drug addicts.
>>
>>545570126
Based. This kills the smashfags and elite competitive gamers that populate this board.
>>
>>545570126
turn based is objectively worse than real-time.
the only difference between real-time and turn-based is that one gives you time to "think" about what attack or item you want to use because you're slow and stupid. it's the same shit except it's like you paused the game to think about how to hit the enemy instead. only shitters with no motor function prefer turn-based combat
>>
OP is right, same reason rts fags seethe in 4x multiplayer
>>
File: 1575598461076.gif (328 KB, 1085x1160)
328 KB
328 KB GIF
>>545570871
Etrian Odyssey
>fully customizable party
>barebones story, designed for you to come up with your own
>efficient progression dependent on how well you can map out your surroundings
>normal enemies are tough
>bosses are nightmarish
>combat revolves around mitigating incoming damage by figuring out enemy weakpoints, but doesn't guarantee you win
>constantly having to balance the risk of continuing forward or reseting your progress to make sure your party survives
never found another series that scratches the itch so well
>>
>>545571118
It became its own thing now beyond just limitations of the era.
>>
>>545570126
Troika was among the finest makers of TB RPGs.
They are credited with making some of the all time great TB RPGs.
They went out of business.

You grew up in the dark age of gaming and your viewpoint is tainted.
>>
>>545573142
Glad I grew up playing them, then, even though I'm 25.
>>
>>545573831
Fair. What I meant to say, majority of turn based RPGs are jRPGs and those lack both good role playing as well as good combat, those games are only liked for their stories.
>>
>>545575412
The only devs nowadays that use turn-based combat are ones that are too poor or lazy to program real combat.
>>
>>545570126
thanks for the brave opinion zoomie, you're sure to stand out
>>
File: 223211110.jpg (2.82 MB, 2611x1699)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
>>545570126
literally brainless genre for children and retarded people. play a turn based game that actually requires thinking for more than a quarter of a second once every 30 minutes you fucking loser.
>>
>>545575405
>not on pc
>>
>>545575412
No they didn't

I hate how zoomers think turn-based is some artistic style rather than just an abstraction used to get out of having to design actual combat
>>
>>545571118
Chess and go require higher intelligence than literally every video game that exists.
>>
>>545575735
emulates perfectly
>>
>>545575548
Not really, there's a market for this kind of thing still. Just because you personally don't enjoy them doesn't mean other people are like you. Personally I don't play faggot reddit shit like Among Us but that doesn't mean there isn't a market for it.
>>
>>545575728
but chess is THE brainlet game which doesn't require ANY thinking whatsoever
>>
>>545575548
>>545575803
Square makes both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest absolutely shits on modern FF
>>
>>545575728
Chess doesn't really require much thinking either. All it is, is remembering a bunch of set strategy's. All turned based shit sucks.
>>
>>545575926
>>545575812

everyone knows chess and go are just brainlet nonsense compared to 400 IQ tarkov plays and valhelm building mechanics
>>
>>545575926
>>545575983
The only people who say this are 100 IQ retards with ELO ratings under 900
>>
>>545575803
It didn't become its own thing? It's a genre now.
>>
>>545570126
Most of em are "mash attack to win" garbage.
But when more effort is made, like with chrono cross/Radiant historia/metal max etc.. they're pretty good
>>
>>545574724
Nice projection
It's quite simple:
I can read a guide to an action game but will still need the skill to beat it.
I can read a guide to a turn-based RPG and can just follow it 1:1 and "beat" the game. What a fucking joke.
>>
>>545575405
I played 4 and quite enjoyed it, but that was a while ago. Can you recommend any others I should try?
>>
>>545576639
what about you dont read about anything and actually develop your brain by figuring things by yourself
>>
Why hasn't anyone made a game that has all the decision making and strategy of a turn based RPG, but then just made it go in real time instead? That'll filter out brainlets.
>>
>>545575405
>figuring out enemy weakpoints
aka trying every move type until it says which one works best, right?
>>
>>545576115
Bad b8
>>
>>545576950
you mean rts?
>>
>>545575735
just get citra and get a hold of some decryted 3ds game roms. it isn't too hard.
>>
>>545576940
The point is that turn-based RPGs can potentially be beat with zero player skill while action games can't. That's what makes them complete and utter trash. Honestly, they shouldn't even be considered games in the first place.
>>
>>545576950
>>545577194
RTS is so high IQ and hard to play its casual and competitive scene is more dead than fighting games and maybe one RTS game a year comes out
>>
>>545577194
No, I mean for RPGs. I've been told that ARPGs aren't real RPGs since you just mash the attack button. What about making an RPG that has all the planning and strategy stuff you would do in a turn based RPG, but instead of you and the enemy taking turns it all happened in real time, so you have to think about what to do really quickly.
>>
>>545577247
Why even care about skill in video games, do you realize skills doesnt translate between video games unless its something competitive like 1v1 fightan or strategy right?
>>
>>545573142
Low IQ take. You're playing a video game, you can accept that games have rules. It's like playing a board game.
>>545575803
Zoomers are the ones who hate jrpg's because they can't comprehend pressing a button and not instantly having a million flashy effects appear. Anyways turn-based is a style of gameplay. You know all video RPG's evolved from Dungeons and Dragons and tabletop games, right? You know, games that were already turn-based?
>>
>>545577552
>Why even care about skill in video games
Because that's what games are all about. Go consume some passive media if you don't want to apply skill.
>>
>>545577535
>You were the brainlet all along.
>>
>>545577535
so ff7?
>>
>>545571118
I refuse to believe people unironically believe strategy games are outdated because FPS graphics improved.
>>
>>545577758
Im talking about action rpgs
>>
File: LOL.png (885 KB, 955x581)
885 KB
885 KB PNG
>>545570126
But most are boring unless they're actually good and aren't full of "LE RANDOM ENCOUNTARS" or any other tedious shit that makes the game incredibly boring.

Chrono Trigger, Pokemon Platinum and Explorers of the sky are the only turn based games I've ever properly played through. The rest are usually just boring.

Sell me on a turn based game.

>>545577508
AOE 2 DE has been out for 20 years, still going strong on steam and gaining new comers to this day. If that is "dead" then you clearly don't know jack shit about RTS games.

An RTS game is probably the most valuable game you could buy because of how replayable it is
>>
>>545570126
>Turn based RPGs
I think I have more respect to gachashit whales than prople that play turn based rpgs, because at least I can ignore their existence.
Literally lrn2play and ascend to rtwp you absolute gutter trash shitters
>>
>>545577923
they're real and they're called zoomers
>>
>>545577758
Game just means a sort of competition with rules by all means RPGs are games.
>>
>>545576136
ELO?
>>
>>545577780
You mean ATB? That's kind of what I'm thinking of, but that still technically has turns since your party members have to wait some fixed time between attacks, instead of attacking as fast as they'd be able to.
So instead of it being
>cloud hits the enemy with his sword, waits 10 seconds for the ATB bar to fill or any cutscene to finish, then hits the enemy with his sword again
It would be
>cloud hits the enemy with his sword, then again, and again, and again
(or does stuff other than hitting the enemy with his sword)
But it still has all the strategic stuff you'd have to think of in a regular good turn based RPG, you can't just hit attack over and over again and hope things work out. You still have to think about what to do next, you just need to think about it FASTER.
>>
>>545578331
Yes, and in order to compete you need to have skill. In turn-based RPGs that skill component can be completely circumvented.
>>
>>545577552
Dark souls series & bloodborne offer many approaches to play the game depending on the skill of the player. Will you use pyromancies in this playthrough or go with a big hammer for example.

Turn based game is just "here have this gear and improve some numbers"
>>
>>545577923
Not strategy, turn based strategy and turned based anything is an obsolete concept.
>>
>>545578472
sounds like XC's mmo combat
>>
>>545578473
Skill is not necessary to define what a game is. Like I said, all you need is a kind of competition with rules.
>>
>>545577923
Go ask any dickhead playing CS GO, Fortnite or any other mainstream shit and they will tell you exactly that
>>
>>545578754
Is it a competition anymore if you can win by pressing a pre-defined set of buttons?
>>
>>545575837
>emulating eo
just buy a 3ds for 60 bucks and pirate it it's a so much nice experience
>>
>>545570126
The only reason you should play a turn based game is if you're disabled. They aren't games.
>>
>>545576136
>t.brainlet
chess is for babbies. Literally the easiest game in the world
>>
File: boys.jpg (633 KB, 1500x845)
633 KB
633 KB JPG
>>545578473
Not even skill, any sort of competence requirement for quick tactical thinking, improvising solutions in the heat of the moment, and acting decisively with incomplete information, is completely circumvented in turn based games and especially strategy. I'm not kidding when I say it is literally a sign of low intelligence. People like this get overwhelmed and stomped on by players who don't need a pause button for reality in order to properly think.
>>
>>545578938
Every game is like that. Plus, there are easy action games and hard RPGs. It's not like action game automatically means these button-smashing fests with artificial difficulty that you have in mind.
>>
File: TELEPHONE LINE.jpg (72 KB, 909x720)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>545578381
>>545576136
OHHH, OH, TELEPHONE LIIIIIIINE
GIVE ME SOME TIIIME
I'M LIVING IN TWILIIIIIGHT
>>
>>545579269
>Literally the easiest game in the world
That's pong or tic tac toe.
>>
>>545570126
i dont know but. fighting games suck. series of least innovation and considering how theyre trying to mask the same gameplay behind different names, tower climbing survival or whatever etc. but its just always mashing buttons until the opponent is dead. and theyre often oacked with mtx, games with so little content, fuck ton of padding and they have mtx
laughably sad genre.
>>
>>545578605
>will you decide that or that
Those decisions are not really based on real time but meta game
>the game layout is fixed and not dynamic
Less thinking required, dark souls don't have dynamic dungeons or dynamic enemies, most good turn based rpgs are dynamic
>depending on the skill
so in an ideal scenario where everyone is at the top upmost level of skill what choices they make?
Turn based is like two times beyond real time in the sense they care about the truth behind the game rather than the fake limits imposed by the skill ceiling, in an infinite time of playing both players will get to the same skill level and the decisions made will be related to the same level of decisions a turn based game has because thinking skill is what really will set apart the players, all games with a high level of competition end up being macro meta game decision making games but you people are too low skill to realize it

turn based in a sense is a more straightforward way to get into the mindset of high skill level competition, you don't like turn based because you have never been competitive in any game in the first place so you don't realize what it feels like to be a high skill player on a game, it really feels like the outcomes are decided by macro and management choices before the actual game rather than tactical decisions
>>
>>545579379
>Every game is like that
That really shows your extremely limited exposure to games.
Any multiplayer game to give you the most extreme example for one can't ever be won by going by instructions because as it turns out other players are unpredictable.
>>
>>545579703
Your bait aside, we can all agree that the genre with the least amount of innovation is either first-person shooters or sports games. In fact, your post basically describes both.
>>
File: 8225c.jpg (18 KB, 430x286)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
I think the true beauty of Turn based rpgs are how simple they are design and production wise.

Very few people have the resources and talent to make an AAA real-time open world action game, but fucking anyone can download RPGmaker and said "I want to make a game about this incredibly particular and niche fetish" and I think that's amazing. Turn-based RPG's are one of the most democratized genres, and that means you see so much creativity.
>>
>>545570605
fps games are pure chance. its all about being in the rightt place at the right time.
put cursor on top of enemy and shoot wins you the game. theyre not hard at all. its only about reaction speed.
>>
>>545577923
that's the thing. The better graphics get, the more people get into games. The people who actually liked video games liked them when the graphics were bad, so these new people are retards who only like the shallow aspects of games.
>>
>>545575405

>first person dungeon crawling

sheesh
>>
>>545572896
>FF7Remake knew it had shit party AI and tried to make up for it with a bunch of shitty passive materia that forced them to make certain actions for you
Maybe you had to control them yourself, but thats too much work for you i guess
>>
>>545580013
Is it really creativity if they are mostly mechanically the same games? Sure, the art and music and story might be different - but if those are the keystone of your game, then why not make a cartoon/film, or book, or album?
>>
>>545578696
Does that game require the same level of tactical/strategic thought of a turn based RPG?
Because what I'm thinking of, is taking a turn based RPG that most people think is a good example of the genre, then just making the actual gameplay real time.
>>
>>545580438
>Is it really creativity if they are mostly mechanically the same games?
This is only true for your average RPG Maker game. You have to get really reductive to think that Persona 5, Yakuza 7, Dragon Quest XI, and Trails of Cold Steel are mechanically the same.
>>
>>545580438
>Is it really creativity if they are mostly mechanically the same games?

If you want to be reductive you could say the same for every genre. Fighting Game fans understand all the nuances and differences between say SFIV and SFV, but to somebody who doesn't like them they seem very similar.
>>
>>545570126
Just bought Divinity OS 2, haven't played a turn based rpg in years. What am I in for?
>>
>>545580861
>turn based RPG that most people think is a good example of the genre
Those are typically the most braindead ones, just look at Chrono Trigger for example. The reason for that is simple, the people playing this shit care more about the story than the gameplay so the more braindead simple the gameplay the quicker they can get to the story.
>>
>>545570126
Careful, you're surrounded by people with ADD
>>
File: brainchair.png (117 KB, 680x788)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
>>545570126
Any type of gameplay mechanic can be kino if executed properly
>>
>>545579857
Turn-based RPGs are not meant to be multiplayer.
>>
>>545581370
>>>/vr/
You should go to the old video games board, that's more your 'speed'.
>>
>>545573027
>Divinity OS2
Unfathomably based.
>>
>>545581092
True, but the original poster's point was that the genre was very creative because it was the most 'democratized' on account of letting anyone download and make an RPG with RPGmaker. If you're admitting that most if not all the resultant games are mechanically similar, then how are they more creative than any other genre?
>>545581113
True, but that poster was arguing that turn based are particularly creative, moreso than other genres.
>>
>>545581616
The dumpster fire that is vidya RPGs is literally adapted from D&D which is purely multiplayer.
>>
Why do ADHD anti-turn based lets need to pretend whoever enjoys this genre sucks at video games? I platinumed bloodborne and sekiro and j absolutely love turn based. I don't feel it's outdated af all and I don't even get why anyone would think so. Turn based games have only become more complex and elaborate in their systems and what you can do in them.
>>
>>545581327
Alright, so let's say one of the best & more mechanically thoughtful and complex turn based RPGs. An example would be nice, but let's say Fallout or Age of Decadence (two I know are considered good and complex).
Take one of those, and make it real time.
>>
>>545582256
>Fallout
>Good and complex
What the actual fuck? There's not much more to the game than managing AP, stimpaks and bullets. Those games are easy as hell and even atelier ryza is more mechanically complex
>>
>>545582468
Okay. Apologies, I was wrong.
What is a good example of a quality and complex turn based RPG that requires a decent amount of thought and strategy?
>>
>>545570126
Turn based is fine but rhe pacing for turn based rpgs is rarely done well
>Fight 50ish regular enemies
>Only have actual fun with bosses
>Rarely even need to use actual strategies
>Most of the game boils down to resource management
>Random encounters
>Grind if you're too weak for boss
>Rinse and repeat
No thanks
>>
>>545581923
This. If you can't understand the appeal of turn-based games then I don't know what to tell you. Sitting down and exploring towns and dungeons and taking part in an engaging story while you fight enemies and watch your party members grow and get stronger and learn new techniques. What really gets me is when they pretend to be some pseudointellectual who plays games to "intellectually stimulate and challenge themselves". And then they turn around and ignore or even shit on arcade genres like fighting games or shmups.
>>
>>545583084
The gameplay pacing is usually fine. It's only noticeably bad in NES JRPGs and some rare cases like Xenogears.
>>
>>545583013
Etrian Odyssey games,. FFX, SMT4 Apocalypse, most SaGa games are all more complex, challenging and interesting. The trails series also has a great battle system but it's easy so you don't need to use all the strategy that it does allow you to come up with to win, unfortunately
>>
>>545583202
I'm not arguing with you, and I don't think that turn based RPGs are inherently worse than other genres or that the players are worse at games.
But with this:
>This. If you can't understand the appeal of turn-based games then I don't know what to tell you. Sitting down and exploring towns and dungeons and taking part in an engaging story while you fight enemies and watch your party members grow and get stronger and learn new techniques.
Can't all these things be enjoyed as well in a real time or action RPG, albeit in a different way?
>>
>>545571118
>>545570605
truthspeakers
>>
>>545571772
>I am very intelligent
Cool story boomer
>>
>>545583084
In an average Dragon Quest game, the best paced gameplay wise, you fight 10-15 monsters per dungeon before the boss, the mooks are too hard to beat without MP so they're a resource management exercise. The challenge is to use the lowest mp costing moves possible to defeat them. Every dungeon is at max half an hour long. Every story segment is at max half an hour long as well. You never have enough money to buy everything, so you choose what to upgrade based on your needs. I never had a problem with the amount of random encounters outside of that one game. Of course the real fun is with the bosses, that's their purpose. You think it's any different in souls games or other action shit? Do mooks in bloodborne or bayonetta pose a big threat? No, they're resource management exercises just the same.
>>
>>545583789
Okay. Let's take Etrian Odyssey then. What if you made everything in battles happen in real time rather than turn based? Not removing any of the options or actions you can take, but just making it so you have to think up stuff in real time. Wouldn't that filter out brainlets?
>>
>>545583883
>Can't all these things be enjoyed as well in a real time or action RPG, albeit in a different way?
They definitely can, but as you said, it's a different way. All three have there own advantages and disadvantages, and it also depends on what kind of experience you're looking for or that you prefer.
>>
>>545583369
For me it feels weird fighting god knows however many regular enemies and having almost no fun, that's most of the game. The fact I have to do all that shit before I actually get to the good shit which is usually only sprinkled throughout is always annoying to me.
>>
>>545583883
No, because if it's an action game winning or losing isn't determined by stats and when it is it fucking sucks. Assassin's creed stops you from doing damage with your sword attacks against high level enemies and this looks stupid as fuck. Having everything at the mercy of your management is superior for an RPG. Only turn based allows you to use all party members as well. Turn based is also simply more fun than s bad action system like witcher 3 or asscreed
>>
>>545573027
my nigga. replaying that one right now with my gf and my best friend. theres so many mods on the nexus that add new classes, its great
>>
>>545572858
You can watch black and white movies on your modern tv, its not like going backwards with hardware.
>>
>>545570605
>I always found it funny how turn-based RPG players always saw themselves as the big brains of gaming
This was never true. The people who are most full of themselves were people who play games slightly harder than average. The biggest examples are Dark Souls players and relatively low-execution multiplayer game players (MOBA and shooters, etc.). They'll brag all day, but show them a shmup or a fighting game and they'll start shitposting about how bad those genres are.
>>
>>545577070
Yes and no. There's usually a logic to figuring out weaknesses.
>bird-like enemies are usually weak to lightning and pierce damage
>plant-like enemies are usually weak to fire and slash damage
>enemies with hard shells are usually weak to bash damage
And so on. There's a tiny bit of guesswork here and there, but figuring it out is usually intuitive enough. And there's only 6 damage types, so even if you do resort to guesswork it's not that grueling.
>>
>>545578201
Can't sell you a good JRPG when you have shit taste and clearly don't like them.
>>
>>545584335
The decisions just aren't comparable at all
>>
>>545584527
>Assassin's creed stops you from doing damage with your sword attacks against high level enemies and this looks stupid as fuck.
I mean, that's hardly an issue exclusive to action RPGs; it's just as goofy when you have two characters stood next to each other in a turn based game, one swings a giant sword through the enemy model, and it says 'miss'.
>No, because if it's an action game winning or losing isn't determined by stats and when it is it fucking sucks.
I don't see why it would suck any more than when that happens in a turn based game, assuming you have the same amount of control over your stats in both. Like in Dragon's Dogma when I come across an enemy that's clearly more powerful than I am, it makes sense just like in a turn based game that I would need to get stronger gear. Not every game with action combat must needs be Ninja Gaiden where mechanical skill is the sole factor.
>>
>>545579798
are you retarded by any chance?

"less thinking required", so those people doing no hit runs on dark souls have less thinking to do? those bosses that are very hard in the series require less thinking?

also, explain to me, how using a enemies weakness in a turn based game is "competitive and high skilled" when they fall down very easily with the right equipment used on your characters? and if these games are so "competitive", where are the playerbases for them? the only one I've seen is Wargroove which isn't about dumb "EQUIP DIS AND U DO X DMG" bullshit and is more about actual tactics and fast paced gameplay that isn't shit.

But oh, sorry, picking "Monkey swipe" that kos a boss in 3 hits is so high IQ and insanely intellegent when compared to visceraling the Orphan of Kos or fighting Ornstein & Smough right?

Have you ever played a fromsoft game?
>>
>>545584960
SMT makes this quite interesting when it's combined with the lore of the demons. For example knowing which demon is evil or not historically or what elements they're associated with
>>
>>545577247
Knowledge is in itself a form of skill that has to be practiced to be mastered, and that's the core of the challenge in most RPGs.
>>
>>545584527
Turn based sucks too because its also based purely on stats, even more than the action game. You're an autist obsessed with excel spreadsheets.
>>
>>545585746
hahaha gottem, chill bro you are fine
>>
>>545585143
But you'd be making the same decisions as you would in turn based Etrian Odyssey, just faster.
>>
>>545585796
>the core of the challenge in most RPGs
If your core gameplay can be circumvented by a google search it's shit gameplay
>>
>>545586058
You know action games can usually have combat encounters trivialized with a google search right?
>>
go and read the greeks, start with Plato dialogues, Gorgias for example, he advises turn based there
>>
>>545586058
Dark Souls can be trivialized by googling "Drake Sword"
Guess it's a shit game.
>>
>>545585932
Nah, action games are focused on avoiding damage, dodging, attacking at the right time etc. It just cannot be compared at all. The decisions are never the same, since they're based around anticipating an attack rather than avoiding it. It's like chess after all except for babies.
>>
>>545586858
But I'm not talking about making an action RPG. I'm saying what if you took a turn based RPG, and made it go in real time.
>>
>>545586858
>since they're based around anticipating an attack rather than avoiding it
Action games are all about anticipating attacks lol
>>
>>545585135
So if you can't defend them and sell me on one, why even bother playing one
>>
>>545586058
If you flip to the end of your math textbook for the answers, does that mean you now have the equations memorized?
>>
>>545579345
I think you are right, I never thought about it that way, maybe im really retarded, im going to boot up MOWAS 2 and play Robz maybe i can show my mettle in multiplayer and show im not actually retarded at all
>>
>>545579345
>tactical thinking, improvising solutions in the heat of the moment, and acting decisively with incomplete information
Literally all of those elements are present in turn-based RPGs.
>>
I have to admit that sometimes I wonder if im really stupid or retarded because i like playing 4X which is turn based or when i boot some roguelike like dungeon crawl soup or caves of qud which also can be considered turn based
>>
>>545587054
ATB system then? Something like Ryza or FF12 or. Xenoblade? It just makes it less fun for me and barely more challenging. What's fun is coming up with the perfect turn to do it just right. What you suggest does exist. I don't want a feeling of regret because I could have done a better turn but chose a worse one because I could do it faster.
>>
File: etriams.png (118 KB, 858x938)
118 KB
118 KB PNG
>>545576761
3 is probably the coolest game in the series if you're willing to play a DS game without 3D enemy models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HQoMBbwzys

Among the 3DS games, 2-Untold and V are both great. 2-Untold is especially polished. Just only play Classic mode.
>>
>>545570605
>>545571118
I still can't help but laugh at that one turn based faggot that cried about how ATB is burned even when item and skill usage was interrupted in 7R. These faggots that like to act all high and mighty fails at such a simple concept like time and place and spacing. And it's not even hard, the game literally slows down to a crawl to give you ample time to analyze your surrounding and choosing your option.
>>
File: sami.jpg (134 KB, 800x900)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>545587054
>What if you made everything in battles happen in real time rather than turn based?

That's ATB meters and I think it's genuinely the worst kind of battle system and almost killed the JRPG genre. It takes the thoughtful strategy aspect of JRPGs and shreds it without really adding much. It's like speed-chess. What you've done at that point is the equivalent of if you added a pause screen to Sekiro where you can use healing and buff items freely. You're desecrating the point of the genre without meaningful gains/innovation.

But I'm a huge fan of Advance Wars, where a complicated turn can take 15+ minutes to fully execute.
>>
>>545579345
you understand that shitting on turn based gameplay is shitting on Chess and GO, which where mentioned in this threads. You're sure too smart to play those games
>>
>>545590158
One thing I would say about ATB is that they made JRPGs more niche and have less of a future. ATB expects you to already be an "expert" at the process of quickly clicking through JRPG menus...which was never supposed to be the draw-point of RPGs to begin with.

So for a different analogy, when you play a platformer or action game, you're expected to slowly build up a knowledge of what buttons do what actions, and put them together in a meaningful way. An action game equivalent to an ATB is the timed QTE. It takes the idea of "press the right button at the right time" and flanderizes it.
>>
>>545573831
Fans of stealth games will scarcely praise a shit game. Jrpg fans have a historical tendency for upholding shit games.
>>
>>545592704
>Fans of stealth games will scarcely praise a shit game
Metal Gear Solid gets tons of praise though??

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.