[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: maxxed.jpg (195 KB, 1280x720)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
well /v/ ?
>>
Skyrim was awful and played like shit
Oblivion was godtier
Morrowind = Oblivion > Daggerfall > Arena > shit > Online > Skyrim

why is this an argument?
>>
>>519575595
oblivion is unironically more enjoyable and morrowind
>>
Skyrim has a better environment. That’s about it
>>
>>519575595
Morrowind
>>
skyrim is bland but oblivion is too quirky, its like a renaissance festival where everyone got high.
>>
>>519575595
Skyrim by far.
Oblivion did have far better side and faction quests.
Everything else was surpassed by Skyrim.
>>
>>519579507
Please clap.
>>
I've played Oblivion after Skyrim and I've enjoyed it more.
>>
>>519580852
I've played Skyrim after Oblivion and i didn't.
>>
>>519579507
this. but oblivion is more enjoyable to me than skyrim. Skyrim is pretty much unplayable to me without mods unless im doing a caster but the caster options are still the worst in the series. it blows me away anyone can even think skyrim is a good game. the world is kinda interesting to explore just to look at things but beyond that the game is a mess and they made it "concise" by taking out a lot of the fun quirks earlier games had. its fucking trash.
>>
>>519575595
Morrowind > skyrim with mods > oblivion > skyrim
>>
>>519575595
Oblivion without a doubt . Main quest was fun . Arena . Lockpicking Hud . DB questline . Thieves guild questline . So much cool shit
>>
I started with Skyrim and then played the series in reverse order.
Each game was more amazing than the last.
Seriously Arena may be the perfect game.

Do I fit in yet?
>>
>>519575979
fpbp
>>
>>519580593
> Skyrim is an "RPG" that ditched the rpg for a normie combat sandbox feel with rpg elements .. that , and the lack of any meaningful story
> Oblivion had better story
... > SkYRiM bY FaRr gOisS
>>
>>519581707
Based. And unironically true, whatever your first game in the series is will always be your favorite.
>>
>>519575595
I preferred oblivion's skills / leveling, but skyrim was comfy with how it looked, how spells and weapons handled (hand system) and overall.

Its like picking which child you like more, you just cant bring yourself to pick one if it means losing another.
>>
>>519581803
Who cares about the RPG thing?
The companies that made the gold standard RPGs are all out of business because they made RPGs.

Just imagine the creators of Fallout were sitting on a gold mine if they had an ounce of competence.
>>
>>519581803
Don't try to pull that RPG shit boy, Oblivion was a bigger downgrade from Morrowind than Skyrim was from Oblivion in RPG mechanics. You get fucking punished for leveling up for pete's sake. I remember having to hit a savage ogre literally 100+ times with a claymore because of that awful system
>>
>>519581926
Started with Morrowind.
Maybe I am tbe exception that proves the rule but they have improved a great deal with each installment.
>>
>>519575595
I just downloaded Oblivion, can some one let me know how to install unoffical patch easy? I dont feel like downloading a mod manager and all, just gonna use this patch. Can i just dump it in the directory somewhere and that's it? Can't find any directions.
https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5296?tab=description
>>
Nobody here has an actual opinion they just like the one they played first better. You can still play vanilla Skyrim and enjoy. Vanilla Oblivion is kind of a mess.
>>
>>519575595
Oblivion has fucking garbage combat and when you advertise yourself as an action RPG then yeah that's a pretty major problem
>>
um this thread was posted on the wrong board
>>
Skyrim is a better game but Oblivion has the best WRPG soundtrack of all time
>>
>>519581803
>reddit spongebob typing
off urself
>>
>>519582224
The scaling was atrocious in Oblivion but it was a step in the right direction.
Morrowind had very limited scaling and because of that lost all sense of danger in fairly short order.

That was an issue that needed to be fixed in a game you can reasonably expect to play for hundreds of hours.
>>
File: 1588724427092.jpg (373 KB, 1920x821)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
Finished Oblivion two weeks ago, just reach 140 hours of Skyrim today, i.e my opinion is right.

Oblivion is overrated and while its quests are generally good, they aren't anything spectacular. Generally praised quests like the painter's dream, paranoia etc. are above average but fall flat on their face once the originality wears off. Gameplay is somewhat fun but still inferior to Morro.
Skyrim is so fucking incompetent it should have been enough to put Todd in jail. Better music, environnement and lore makes it better than Oblivion though.
Moirrowind is still king.
>>
>>519575595
My problem with Oblivion is level scaling, that's it. Besides that it does everything better than Skyrim if you don't care about graphics.
>>
>>519575595
Morrowind, hands down. but of these two, Skyrim is much, much better
>>
>>519581707
>Do I fit in yet?
you are a fag for even joking about "fitting in". You think are superior for holding some sort of (to your dim perception) "contrarian" opinion as if it puts you above the crowd.

skyrim is an objectively shit game that only gets praise because of how novel it is to have a big open world. The game is unrewarding to play mechanically, the combat is shit, the vendor system is shit, the kill cam system is shit and messes up the combat mechanics, the perk system is mediocre, the level scaling is shit, the story is poorly written, the setting is shit, its just the same nordic setting copy pasted all over the world with a few areas having different types of trees or more snow. ask me to explain further if you care enough to hear me expand on anything in this post, faggot.
>>
>>519581803
i'd rather have a game like skyrim that just ditches the rpg elements than a game like oblivion that has terrible rpg elements. the way they do levelling with bonus points and major/minor skills is fucking shit. combined with the broken scaling, you basically have to decrease the difficulty as time goes on in Oblivion or you are guaranteed to get fucked in the ass
>>
>>519582691
level scaling is not a step in the right direction by any means. it's a lazy way for developers to try to "balance" shit. I would say even in morrowind they went too far with the level scaling, scamps being replaced with golden saints and finding 100000 gold worth of loot in a smuggler cave at level 25 was dumb. hand crafted will always beat level scaling, but it takes too long for a game with 500 repetitive dungeons so they just throw on the level scaling and call it a day, which is what the elder scrolls series is all about sadly
>>
Shivering Isles is great for a DLC, but God damn is it blown out of proportion. It's alien and reminds of Morrowind's design yeah, but Jesus fucking Christ the main quest - and most secondary quests are Skyrim-tier go in this fucking dungeon and fetch me this.
>>
File: 1574621004397.jpg (41 KB, 708x708)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>519575595
>Hates Skyrim
>Has over 1000 hrs of play time on it
99% of the Skyrim hate is ironic, those who claim to hate it have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours playing it. Back in 2011 this game was god's gift to humanity and now everyone shits on it for sport, this meme is getting really fucking old and I'm so tired of seeing it. You enjoyed other TES games more than Skyrim? good for you, now fuck off.
>>
>>519583051
There is no way to balance a non-linear open world game without level scaling. Every mod that tries to remove it makes the game a weird mess with extreme difficulty spikes and forcing the player to play in a more linear fashion.
>>
>>519583051
This. Level scaling is lazy game development design. I prefer static mobs, levels and loot. Maybe after some time for story reasons, low level areas change their mobs to be something new.
>>
>>519582757
I'm gonna have to agree. Oblivion had interesting *premises* for quests, but 99% of the time the execution is bonkers. As a quick example: Turn 2 families against each other by implicating family members in 2 murders? Sounds fun. How do you do it? Oh... you murder them in separate houses and tell people you saw them attacking each other... and they just believe you... a random fucking guy that just arrived in the town... and they think somehow these two people killed each other telepathically or something cause they died in opposite ends of the town...
>>
>>519582976
Objectively better
Show your math then.
All I heard were subjective arguments.

If you are going to pontificate at least learn what words mean before you use them.
>>
>>519583182
Open world never implied to be able to go everywhere at low levels. Even JRPGs with open world maps doesn't have level scaling.
>>
I think Skyrim’s an upgrade in every visual department while suffering everywhere else and dumbing the game down even more.
I also haven’t played Oblivion since before I wasn’t a fucking dumbass. Does it have any weiting as embarassing as Skyrim’s thieves guild?
>>
>>519583541
>weiting
*writing, fuckin a
>>
>>519583051
It is the only way to handle an open world game like Bethesda makes.

I hope they do keep improving the formula to be sure. The idea of ripping it out root and branch is moronic.
>>
>>519575595

Oblivion and it's not even close
Somehow Skyrim basically took everything about Oblivion and made it worse
Worse world, worse characters, worse story, worse quests everything is just flat out worse
Oblivion is flawed but it's flawed in interesting ways at least Skyrim is just boring
And Oblivion was the game that marked the end of Bethesda being able to make interesting games at all
I don't know what happened I guess they must've hired a bunch of new people after Oblivion's success or something and that's how we got the inane stupidity that is FO3, Skyrim, and FO4
>>
>>519583541
>Does it have any weiting as embarassing as Skyrim’s thieves guild?
The intro is ridiculous, and dogshit. Generally the writing is pretty cool. It's either just bland (like the MQ) or pretty sweet.
>>
>>519583541
Learn to spell Shamus you dumbass.
>>
>>519583694
>It's either just bland (like the MQ) or pretty sweet.
I’ll take “bland and sometimes sweet” over “so stupid it takes me out of the game”.
>>
>>519583182
The problem is the game was built from the ground up with level scaling. Morrowind for the most part wasn't, and it usually works because of that. You know when you can take on smuggler caves, daedric ruins, dwarven ruins, etc because you're not going to walk into a smuggler cave and it's filled with level 40 god bandits that destroy you unless it's a special quest cave or something. When you design the world around predictable expectations like that the player can make decisions on what he thinks he can handle. Oblivion wasn't designed that way, and the mods unfortunately reflect that. Sometimes Morrowind NPCs will even tell you not to fuck around in Daedric or Dwarven ruins cause it's really dangerous, the most Oblivion NPCs warn you about are mudcrabs and goblins
>>
File: 1595097676691.png (157 KB, 468x545)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>519582976
NOOOOOO YOU CAN'T ENJOY SKYRIM STOP HAVING FUUUN AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

kys faggot
>>
>>519583051
>level scaling is not a step in the right direction by any means. it's a lazy way for developers to try to "balance" shit
this is true but the difficulty slider plays a huge role as well, they dont need to "balance" anything if their is a slider you can change at any time when things get too hard or too boring, it not only encourages lazy design (which is the point) but poor design.

The big problem with their games is the disparity between stats of a low level and a high level. In a decent game where you have plenty of ways to build your character your players power would be linear and incremental with big differences being quality of life improvements and more options in combat.
In elder scrolls the differences are not linear they are exponential, which is just plain stupid in a game where you can level up without improving power in combat through non combat oriented skills like speechcraft.

Bethesda often has really bad ideas and on top of that they are poorly executed. The only saving grace to the games is the lore they are built on and the big world with lots of different things to play around with which is ironic because their development philosophy of late is to remove features and refine the game.
>>
>>519583853
So you are fine with losing all sense of danger around level 20?
We have very different taste in games.
>>
>>519575595
i have more fun with oblivion.
>>
>>519575595

>>>/vrpg/
>>
>>519575595
soul -vs- soulless
>>
>>519578281
literally the worst part of skyrim, boring open plains and ice shit
baby sized towns and caves are the only locations
>>
>>519583996
Perfection is not achieved when there is nothing left to add.
Perfection is achieved when there is nothing left to remove.
>>
>>519584035
Not that I endorse using the difficulty slider as an excuse, but I have it at 100 in Morrowind and still get destroyed at level 20 quite often (I don't abuse alchemy or exploits or anything.) I mean the point of RPGs isn't really to challenge you anyway, it never was, it's to roleplay. Combat and difficulty is and should be an after thought, I mean it shouldn't be irredeemable garbage but I think Morrowind's combat for the most part is fine for the way RPGs are meant to be played. Just look at the difference between Morrowind and Oblivion's speech system. Oblivion's is a win or lose minigame with no roleplaying even possible unless you're roleplaying a crazy person, Morrowind's is a simple but purposeful system that allows for a lot of roleplay (and gameplay) potential, even if it is flawed.
>>
File: skyrimui.jpg (1.28 MB, 1288x6292)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>519583295
>Objectively better
i never said objectively better i said objectively shit. The game is shit the mechanics are a joke.
>Show your math then.
for what? which one of my complaints do you want me to go over? Isaid in the post to ask which specific thing you wanted me to expand on. no wonder you like skyrim you cant follow basic instructions, moron. there is not enough time in the day to say everything that is wrong with skyrim.

The game calculates melee damage at the start of an attack animation when it comes to kill cams so kill cams often come up when the player or enemy wouldnt even be within reach of each other, it makes for a janky unfun mess of a game where the only redeemable aspect of melee combat is that its fun to watch but the gameplay is just bad. Then there is the barter system where you literally cant even barter because NPCs only let you buy or sell one item at a time as opposed to fallouts where you can actually trade items and the value is calculated for currency so neither the player or npc actually needs the currency value of the items being traded.
The whole game is like that, poorly thought out game mechanics designed by halfwits that are uninteresting and unsatisfying to play.
>>
>>519583179
>those who claim to hate it have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours playing it
Exactly, that gives the hate even more credibility. Fuck off and neck yourself, Todd.
>>
>>519584740
>its fun to watch
I realize you're trying to give it some credit but even that is a stretch
>>
>>519575595
Neither are practically great, but out of the box I think Skyrim would be the better 'game' if most of the quests and questlines weren't complete dogshit. Oblivion runs like shit and has some terrible design decisions, but it's still enjoyable as its own entity - it's just hard to take anything seriously. Still an interesting contrast between both ends of the console generation.
>>
>>519584859
how fucking so? if you hate a game why would you play it for that fucking long, you massive fuckhead?
>>
>>519584496
Way to regurgitate a platitude my dude.Its not really relevant here though. you just seem like a massive psued.

>have sandbox
>kid playing in sandbox enjoying himself
>some smug retard walks in and takes all the toys out
>perfection isnt having stuff its taking stuff out heh heh TTTTBBBBTBTBBBHHHHTBTB ah yes the sweet aroma of my own farts haha im so great
>>
>>519583179
honestly i got it for console because i had no PC at the time. i beat the companion quest line then stopped playing. then i got the game AGAIN years later for PC because some asshole fooled me into thinking mods fixed the game. I played through the DLC story and quit. The DLC was actually fun despite he story being amusingly retarded. I then spent probably 20 hours just modding the game trying to make the combat fun then quit after playing for 2 hours. Skyrim is like the "Army of darkness" of video games. its cheesy and stupid but it has a cult following who find it charming.
>>
>>519575595
I love Oblivion but its level scaling is the worst out of any game that I've ever played. I find a lot of its flaws endearing, like the hammy voice acting, animations, the "AI", etc. Apart from the difference between Colovia and Nibenay and other lore related things, I felt that most other flaws could could be fixed with mods. Unstable as fuck though. Meanwhile Skyrim is a perfectly fine game that I didn't feel mods could "fix".
>>
>>519586269
Oh my fucking god just get endurance to 100 asap, fuck. It's better than getting to lvl 100 and there being like 1 challenging area or mob
>>
is it worth it to play morrowind and oblivion if i never did before?
>>
>>519586701
Yeah. Oblivion is fine on its own, worth a playthrough with DarnifiedUI. Play Morrowind with OpenMW. Have fun.
>>
>>519582508
Use the Vortex mod manager offered by Nexus. It’s not hard to set up and integrates with the game seamlessly so you don’t have to mess with some shit that barely works like wrye bash
>>
>>519586701
You wont enjoy morrowind if you dont enjoy reading. its a reading exploration game.

Oblivion is ok. play a spell caster though because melee sucks.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.