[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: cbu.jpg (386 KB, 1920x1080)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
Why don't they make games as atmospheric as this anymore?

this game wasn't exactly peak gameplay experience but the ambience and atmosphere was phenomenal.
>>
look up gloomwood
>>
Looooook
>>
>>519462327
S C R Y
>>
File: spoopy.jpg (420 KB, 1920x1080)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
>>519462327
EEEEEEK!
>>
>>519462224
looks bland and soulless as fuck
>>
>TFW shotgun was dogshit
>>
>>519462196
Just play rain world
>>
>>519462196
some good, athmospheric games I would recommended
>Darkwood
>Pathologic 2
>Lost in vivo
>>
File: Meat factory.jpg (486 KB, 1920x1080)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>519462196
>Why don't they make games as atmospheric as this anymore?
They do. You just literally don't pay attention to anyone that does not have massive AAA tier marketing behind it.
>>
>>519465183
>Pathologic 2
garbage for pseuds
>>
>>519465568
Basically this whenever anyone says videogames have went to shit.
>>
>>519465568
Not a game.
>>
File: BVLL.jpg (56 KB, 1200x750)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>519466154
>Not a game.
How exactly is Pathologic 2 "not a game" again?
>>
>>519462196
>this game wasn't exactly peak gameplay experience
As far as horror games go Undying is definitely one of the better ones you could play lmao.
>>
>>519466056
well it's not for everyone, but there's really no other game quite like it.
Besides, op asked for atmospheric games and not necessarily the best in terms of gameplay
>>
>>519467150
Even its atmosphere is a meme, though.
>nothing makes sense dude so deep lmao
>>
>>519462196
The simple answer is, they don't need to. Zoomers don't buy games, they buy hype & trends.
>>
>>519467335
You have never played the game, have you?
I will never understand the logic of people posting shit like this...
>>
>>519467661
I have, for about 2-2.5 hours until I realized it's a huge waste of time with a meme setting, no interesting gameplay and shitty pacing purposely designed to pad out the game. Nice argument though, faggot.
>>
File: 1458174801852.jpg (456 KB, 2880x1620)
456 KB
456 KB JPG
>>519462196

VTMB was peak atmosphere when I first played it, I wish they still made games like it
>>
>>519467874
You barely got past the tutorials and you still insist that "nothing makes sense"? Why? I can understand that the game won't appeal to everyone, but why lie about stuff you clearly have no ability to judge to begin with?

Is it because the fact that you don't have the patience for it makes you insecure, and so you need to lash out to escape that sense of inferiorty?
>>
>>519468238
>hurr durr you have to play a shit game for 50 hours to make up your mind
I played enough to spot a shitty version of something akin to already mediocre TES style of gameplay. Keep coping with your shit taste.
>>
>>519463129
wrong, it oozes soul
>>
Metro games are still hyper astmospheric, 2033 and Last Light are fucking masters of it.
Exodus loses its charm because everything has to have sandboxes nowadays, but its still okay.
The part of Last Light where you have the car, stop off in an optional room that turns out to be a spiders nest, creeping through it with your lighter out to burn the webs as intensifying skittering noises are all around you is so fucking good.
>>
>>519465568
that shit looks like it came right off of an Oddworld Abe remake or something, neat
>>
>>519468561
>Metro
oh yeah, it's so atmospheric watching cutscenes and losing control of my character every 10 seconds for a long animation to play out
>>
File: GloomWood.jpg (147 KB, 618x434)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>519462224
>>
>>519468431
>I played enough to spot a shitty version of something akin to already mediocre TES style of gameplay.
It's literally NOTHING like a TES game, so clearly you haven't.
And that still does not explain why you claim the settings are nonsensical when you literally haven't gotten since day 1.
What is wrong with you? Who hurt you this badly?
>>
>>519465568
Of course fucking slabvoo is yere to promote his shitty jank
Cringe
>>
File: Culture_Pathologic2.jpg (210 KB, 1500x1125)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>519468627
Oddworld probably isn't something I'd think about in relation to this game.
>>
>>519462196
Itt retards pretend shitty games with abmysal gameplay are good because MUH SOUL MUH ATMOSPHERE
>>
>>519468668
wow its almost as if you're in an oppressive hostile environment that wants you did and you cant do anything about it
geez, wouldnt want challenge or threat in my games at any point, no siree
>>
>>519468857
nah i just meant the meat factory
it has that Abe's Exodus vibes seeing the factory with ominous shit arriving in
obviously pathologic is not anything like it, but the foggy industrial view with that unknown vibe is oddworld-esque, at least to me
>>
>>519469025
>wow its almost as if you're in an oppressive hostile environment that wants you did and you cant do anything about it
Not him, but it was more like you are playing a god-awful CoD game where you literally have to wait for your shitty companion to trigger the next boring scripted event.
Metro games look pretty, but the structure and level design is so abhorent it instantly sucks any semblance of atmosphere out, and the genuinely terrible world-building just seals the deal.
>>
>>
>>519469025
watching a cutscene or scripted animation isn't challenging lmao
>>
>>519465568
>posts a remake of a literally 15 year old game
damn you sure showed him
>>
>>519470836
It's a bit more than a remake. Plus, there is Kingdom Come, Alien Isolation, Prey, Darkwood, Rainworld, Gloomworld and tons of other highly atmospheric titles out there, you can take your pick-
>>
>>519471294
>It's a bit more than a remake
Not really. It expands some very minor things and is outright missing a third of the original game that we won't get because no one bought it.
>>
>>519471491
>It expands some very minor things
It literally completely overhauls the gameplay, resulting in the gameplay being far more tightly connected in the narrative than in the original. Story-wise it expands on the Haruspex massively compared to the original too.

Also, it misses two thirds, not one, and the game ended up selling well enough to not only fund the next chapter, but allow the studio to work on other simultaneous projects too. The initial sales were poor due to poor reviews, but eventually turned around dramatically.
>>
>>519471679
>Also, it misses two thirds, not one
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt because the Bachelor route is meatier but if you're willing to come to my defense that's fine too. "Overhauls the gameplay" is a bit of a stretch too considering it's essentially the same thing but less janky and annoying.
>>
>>519462196
Is that Clive Barkers Undying? That game scared the shit out of me when I was young.
>>
>>519471856
>"Overhauls the gameplay" is a bit of a stretch too considering it's essentially the same thing but less janky and annoying.
Except it really fucking isn't. The resource management, literally the core mechanic of the game, is based on entirely different model than in the original, focusing on either/or choices instead of a simple mechanical "turn useless into useful" system. In P1, you collected garbage and turned it into useful items. In P2, virtually every item in the game has multiple uses, making it a question of prioritization rather than a test of endurance that was P1. The core structure of the story has also been completely changed including the mind map instead of linear quests and characters survival being determined by actions outside of the quests of the day system.

Really, the only thing that remains is the fact that both are survival games, but very much everything in how that survival mechanically acts out has been completely reworked.

I'm starting to seriously doubt you played either of the games.
>>
>>519468762
you're wasting your time, he gets his opinions from youtubers.
>>
>>519473034
I doubt it, since most youtubers are raving praise on the game. I think he may genuinely be so fucking dumb he has no other frame of refence for first-person game that isn't a shooter than TES games.
>>
>>519472249
should I play pathologic 1 or 2? going in blind
>>
>>519474226
Play 2 and if you enjoy it play 1
>>
>>519474226
>should I play pathologic 1 or 2? going in blind
You can jump in 2 blind, story-wise it is largely a remake, and gameplay-wise it is far, far more polished and accessible.
P2's only fault compared to P1 is that it's not complete yet - providing only one of the total of three different story-lines the og Pathologic 1 featured. The remaining two are in development. Or if you find yourself really sucked into the world, you can go back to P1 after you've finished it and see how the remaining two characters are.

Jumping into P1 blind may be a little... rough. It's a very flawed game, and insanely slow at that.
>>
>>519474435
>>519474587
alright next time it's on sale I'll grab it
I don't mind rough/slow games if they're worth the time investment
>>
what kind of a fucking game is fucking patholigc 2?
>>
>>519475446
Best of luck.
Buy the bull, learn to trade, don't waste money on food in stone shops, and most importantly: Don't take THE DEAL. You'll know what I mean when you'll face it.
>>
>>519475632
It's a walking simulator
>>
They do, but if you want to compete either in scope or with the graphics you need a large amount of capital, ehich you get via investors that want a say in the matter and a assured return on their investment.
So you must please these uninformed out of touch sharktank men who want you to "be the next wow of Warcraft"
>>
>>519475770
so no losing conditions? every play through is the same?
>>
>>519475632
>what kind of a fucking game is fucking patholigc 2?
Survival / resource and time management game, at it's core. You are set free in a small sandbox environment (single town and a bit of surrounding steppes), and given 12 days to make the best of them. During the 12 days, the city slowly descends into chaos, becoming more and more dangerous as time passes, while new optional, story-related tasks are provided at each day or so.
Your core consideration are your basic "survival bars" - hunger, exhaustion, thirst, infection etc... As the situation in town becomes more and more dire, getting even basic supplies such as food or items needed to maintain your equipment becomes increasingly difficult.
There is a very basic system of combat and even more basic system of stealth, and something akin to crafting - in form of maintenance for your equipment and brewing your own tinctures - basically a form of alchemy. But arguably the most important mechanic of all is trade, through which you obtain most of the resources you need. Good prioritization, the ability to plan ahead and the ability to improvise are all pretty essential.

All of this is set on the aformentioned 12 day timer - kinda like the Dead Rising games used to be. Story-related tasks have limited windows in which they can be completed, and the game intentionally stretches you very thin, forcing you to decide which tasks and problems to focus on and which to ignore - all of which has direct ramifications for the story.
There is also a rather cruel system of death-punishment in place, to make it all even more stresful.

That is, as far as mechanics of this game go, it.
>>
>>519475935
He is lying, though for love of me I can't figure out why.
Nah, dying in this game is very easy, in fact most of the negative reviews it recieved were because the journos found the game too difficult and too stresful.
You can die at a moment's notice - being abushed and shanked, colapsing of hunger, OD'ing on meds, consumed by a plague - all are very likely scenarios. Each time you die, your character becomes a little weaker, and the debuf is written literally into all of the saves for that playthrough, so you can't remove them by loading. While it's not easy to cripple your character to a point where you can't continue, it is still a very, very strong incentive to stay alive as much as you can.
In addition, your failures or just any actions you take may and usually will have impact on the story. Characters can die, their entire story and quest-lines being erased from the game prematurely based on your actions. The constant timer and the fact that most quests have multiple possible solutions / endings does make repeated playthrough quite fun, as you'll very likely won't see everything in the game on your fist run.
It's not completely randomized though, so it does not really offer more than two or three replays before you'll finally see very much all there is to it.
>>
File: msx.jpg (58 KB, 1024x768)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>519469025
You're based.
>>519469280
You're a fag.
>>519470545
You're a pussy.
>>
File: stalker-2-hunter.jpg (214 KB, 1909x1074)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
Dare I say, kino?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.