[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

what went wrong?
>>
it went right as far as I can see
>>
>>450619994
why does no one play it then?
>>
Poorfags can't into good games, it seems.
>>
>>450619773
Even Eternal--a f2p game only four other people even on /v/ alone play--had a higher active player count apparently.
>>
>>450620046
Premium game with a F2P economy.
>>
BLUNDER OF THE CENTURY
>>
It would have worked if it was 100% F2P.
>>
File: 1535665405599.png (147 KB, 231x308)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
Dota players don't give a shit about card games, they just want to play Dota.

Non-Dota players don't care about a Dota card game.

People no longer have blind faith in Valve. They're going to have to actually try now.

Just kidding Valve doesn't have to do anything, they make more per day than any game studio does from a years-long development cycle.
>>
>$30 card game in a space with several better established better playing FREE card games
>buhh why no one play deh gaem
Holy fucking shit.
>>
Monetization was the last straw for many hopeful buyers. Competitive game modes should not cost money if you already paid for the game. Valve got greedy and the community called them out on it. Shartifact BTFO
>>
>>450619994
based
>>
>>450620046
nobody should be playing it in the first place
>>
>F2P Card game market
>Introduce paid game which requires more paying just to play

Who the fuck approved this? Not even the most senior Jew would think this is a good idea
>>
The worst part? Valve is STILL going to put in 80% of their manpower into Artifact for the next three years.
>>
>TCG
>you can't really sell you cards for cash
Gee, I wonder why.
>>
>Make pay to play card game
>A genre that is already saturated with games
>Ranging from decent to good
>Expect not do die
Yeah they guy who pushed to put a price tag on starting should be banned from ever making a decision again
>>
>>450621015
In my eyes (and I'd wager most people's eyes), Valve can only redeem themselves by publicly executing everyone who ever worked on Artifact, shutting down Dota 2 and promising never to make new video games ever again unless they're called Half-Life and is strictly a first person shooter.
>>
>>450621242
based retarded boomer
>>
>>450619773
my favorite part is all the autistic virgins who had played the beta and or spent tons of money on a childrens card game were gloating about "owning" new players in the duel mode and how they were going to get rich from farming newbies and selling cards.

>>450620089
see this guy for an example
>>
>>450620724
I think they saw MTGO and thought it was a good model. Little do they know, the only reason MTGO thrives is because it's MtG, which has been a damn well established game that will stay alive no matter what, by this point. Hence why they even get away with keeping their horribly programmed, 90s interfaced client.
>>
>>450620916
It's more likely that they just completely abandon it. It was a cash cow that didn't work out.
Reminder that Valve has been shit for at least 5 years now.
>>
>>450622472
I think you underestimate Valve's stubbornness. The fact that they're still trying to keep DotA 2 alive despite the fact that it's dying is proof of that.
>>
>>450622610
milking and keeping it alive isn't the same you retard
>>
>>450621242
Why would they shut down one of their 2 most successful titles of all time to make a shitty overhyped third entry in a long dead franchise that will get a fraction of the sales in today's market?
>>
People tend to forget that Valve employees aren't forced to work on one project they work on anything they want
>>
>>450622821
Because then they would at least have some dignity.
>>
>>450620119
based, Eternal is a fantastic game. Unfortunately it’s great gameplay and generous amount of free packs and cards are the only things it can rely on to attract a following since they’ve apparently never heard of advertising
>>
>>450619773
Its failure has less to do with its monetisation and more to do with it being a shit game. Think about it, 96% of the players that already bought in dropped it.
Screencap this, when Valve makes this F2P it'll still flop just as hard because it's a dull, RNG riddled waste of time.
>>
I feel like Valve overestimated how much people care about the DotA universe.
>>
Real-life card game monetization scheme, except with real card games you actually get physical cards instead of dumb jaypegs of DOTA characters no one cares about
>>
>>450619773
holy shit i actually forgot to doompost on /dafg/ thats how dead the game is
>>
>>450622610
>The fact that they're still trying to keep DotA 2 alive despite the fact that it's dying is proof of that.
>nearly a million concurrent players at peak in the last 30 days
>dying
What the fuck
>>
>>450622919
This is always bizzare to me when you consider Artifact is like the only game Valve has made in years. YEARS. What the hell do Valve employees do all day, year after year? Start 30 different projects and abandon them soon after? What a peculiar model for one of the most successful studios of all time.
>>
>>450623008
Sure, they'll do that as soon as you go up to your employer and request to be paid in dignity instead of a cheque.

Wait what am I saying lol? You're probably a NEET
>>
>>450619773
No progression systems or ways to earn cards without spending money. Didn't have the bells and whistles of other card games like stuff to play with on the board. Game didnt even have text chat. It needed to give people a reason to keep playing and it didn't. I thought the actual game was designed well though. Won't be savable unless they go free to play and reimburse people who bought it.
>>
>>450619773
nobody wants to play another shitty card game
>>
>>450619773
Insider here. I might as well tell this here since this is bound to become public knowledge sooner or later.
Reportedly, Gabe Newell was beyond furious and vocally threatened to fire half of Artifact's development team through a "RNG" program if they don't turn it around completely in less than six months (starting from January). Even now, Artifact developers are working in fear.
>>
>>450619773
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRjJlRz4j_U
>>
File: 1548213451775.png (647 KB, 900x900)
647 KB
647 KB PNG
literally everything
the design made melee look accessible
the initial price didn't mean shit since you always had to pay to get more packs
and most of all, it puts people to fucking sleep playing it
>>
>>450622610
If Dota was going to die it would have died when assfaggots declined and battle royale took over but it didn't. Games better than ever anyway now that all of the third worlders have moved on to BR
>>
>>450623487
significant, if partisian
>>
>>450623487
Top kek if true.

Probably not, though. When Valve projects fail they usually just ditch it and work on something else but keep the talent.
>>
>>450623275
>Start 30 different projects and abandon them soon after?
Yeah actually
Did you know they had a nearly finished L4D3? All it was missing was voice acting
>>
>>450623067
And they won't advertise it, because the same devs are focused on ES:L sadly
>>
>>450619773
It's not fun. Trust me I was a shill for this game
>>
>>450623640
Kek
>>
>>450623372
>I thought the actual game was designed well though
Go kill yourself you retarded piece of shit.
While I've never played Artifact or even seen more than five minutes of gameplay of it, I know for a fact that Artifact is a piece of shit and you're completely wrong. You're basically begging to get slapped in the face for saying anything positive about the game.
>>
Reminder that Artifact is Valve's biggest budget game of all time, equivalent to the TORtanic.
>>
>>450624104
Really? What did they use their budget on exactly?
If I break it down to its different game elements, I can't think of a single part of it that could be called "high budget".
>>
This was think as a market place before being a game.
Valve made it to sell cards, not for people to play it.
>>
File: horrifying.gif (2.11 MB, 382x369)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB GIF
>>450619773
It is just fundamentally an unfun game. Ignore the monetization, it hardly matters here.
>There is no mulligan system. You draw a bunch of 6+ mana cards your best bet is you draw something at least playable.
>Hero and creeps are all randomly assigned. If your weakass blue hero is facing a red or black hero he's dead and there is nothing you can do about it
>Initiative system often forces you to not to play good cards for fear of getting an annihilation to your face
>silencing/card locking forcing you out of playing your own cards is the ultimate feelsbadman
>90% of the cards are boring "give this guy a static buff", "apply this CC to an opponent", "play a minion".
>Arrows that are yet more RNG but cards that change who is gonna attack what are so low impact you do not want to waste a cardslot on them
>literal power creep in the base set. Keefe the Bold is a crap hero with a 5 mana card that literally gives him Axe's stats.
The entire game is actually terrible. It is not a surprise people quit in droves after the huge initial launch; it is to be expected when the base game is such an unfun slog.
>>
>makes tons of money from store
>best effort was a card game
>>
>>450621242

Or...they could make good new games?
>>
>>450624360
Valve's salary is disproportionately massive for each individual employee. Like one million fucking dollars per employee on a monthly basis.
>>
Valve should just make a battle royale. In fact all the studio that struggles should make one.
>>
>>450624569
They can't make any good games if it's not strictly a FPS.
>>
File: 1542618009418.gif (1.81 MB, 177x150)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB GIF
>>450619773
>>
>>450619773
Valve's only IP people give a shit about is half life and that doesn't translate well into a cardgame. People only played dota because it's dota. Nobody actually cared about the lore like they did with warcraft. That and . . well, it wasn't free and easily intuitive. When you look at hearthstone for example it's structure is immediately recognizable to anyone who's played any type of card game in their life. Switch to artifact and you don't know what you're looking at at all. Three lanes? What the fucking fuck?
>>
>create a game in the same saturated genre where one of the options is a FREE variant owned by BLIZZARD
>base it off of Dota 2 of all things

this thing could have even been the first in its genre and honestly I'm not sure it would have lasted. As it is now, it was bound for failure
>>
S
>>
>>450619994
fp motherfucking bp
>>
>>450620916
Nah, Valve completely forgets about their games if they don't make retarded amounts of money, for instance, the latest bimonthly TF2 comic came out 2 years ago.
>>
>>450619773
Who the hell wants to play some crappy card """"""game""""""?
>>
File: fdghydfg.jpg (117 KB, 1832x938)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>450619773
reminder that at this rate all the cards will soon be cheaper than the actual game
>>
>>450624104
There's no way it can be bigger than Dota, which it's based on, and even that's not big budget stuff. There's barely any game to be created.
.....actually has Valve ever done any big budget game? Don't think so. SO "biggest budget" doesn't really mean shit.
>>
>>450619773
No relevant streamers and Youtubers to play and promote it. Every Dota streamer is playing fuckin AutoChess. Imagine your modders making a better rng game than you. Embarassing.
>>
>make a game literally no one wants
>no one plays it

Deep stuff.
>>
>>450624771
Join us in 2023 when Valve makes a BR game.
>>
>>450623487
>waste time and money on a game nobody wants
>get fired
Good.
>>
>>450624660
They did.
>>
>>450623487
This might actually be legitimate.
>>
>>450619773
Absolutely nothing. Instead of releasing yet another F2P cow which Valve will milk forever and ever Gabe took opportunity to see how dumb gamers really are and he found that they are very stupid! For weeks game was in top sales. Now Valve will finish initial F2P plan and feedback from paid testers will help them in delivering much better game. Gabe is genius.
>>
>>450623275
Irc they are working on VR projects for years now. I haven't heard nor seen any impressive results from it.
>>
File: outdated.png (282 KB, 975x488)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
Reminder that Valve need to update this info (since I'm pretty sure they meant Ricochet originally)
>>
>>450619773
Trying to get into a genre years too late with a radically different (and more expensive) business model
>>
>>450619773
If they had gone with a different payment model they might have stood a chance. Imagine if they'd made it so that you get full access to all the cards, and what you pay for are explicitly cosmetic art swaps. Then, they could have set up a system like the workshop that could've turned into a method for artists to monetize their work. It could have been an art platform combined with a game, and it could have been really popular and made a lot of money with minimal investment.

Instead they went Full Jew and seemed to forget that going Full Jew doesn't fly so well nowadays
>>
>>450625472
I don't think the devs themselves decided to make Artifact. It was probably a commission from higher up, maybe even from Gabe himself.
Unless this is one of those 'pitching' ideas that got approved because it looked better on paper years ago.
>>
>>450623487
Knowing what a pile of garbage human being Gayben is, it's not surprising that he's a two-faced piece of shit who will act nice then threaten you with stabbing your chest with his knife collection. He's a classic sociopath.
>>
Hearthstone is dying too. People are starting to realize card games suck.
>>
>>450619773
nothing, gamers are entitled and toxic
>>
>>450626251
Valve is entitled and toxic, given that they expected the world to bow down before them.
>>
>>450623487
Sounds plausible, actually.
>>
>>450626106
>Hearthstone is dying too
What makes you say that? It's bigger than ever and yearly expansions always draw a lot of people in. Now they even reworked the ranked system to have more distance between new players and veterans to make sure you don't play against someone out of your league.
>>
File: 1469892820907.jpg (65 KB, 394x720)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>450623731
>Did you know they had a nearly finished L4D3? All it was missing was voice acting
Source?
>>
>>450626314
oh? what happened to 'praise gaben' and 'rip wallet' every holiday? I thought steam is based?
>>
>releasing a card game in the same exact period when MtGA, a game based on the most popular card game in the world, just released too
>make your customer pay 20 fucking bucks for it when literally every other competitor on the market if fucking free
how retarded can they possibly be? The f2p format just worked perfectly for this kind of games but these greedy buffoons were too dumb to see it. Besides, after years of silence this is the best that THE pc gaming company can release? Pathetic.
>>
>>450626331
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TBG6LsieI
>>
>>450626331
Yeah, that's what they used to make it. Shame it was cancelled.
>>
File: 1525149844360.gif (120 KB, 554x400)
120 KB
120 KB GIF
>>450619994
holy based
>>
>>450625764
There were also Deathmatch Classic and Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.
>>
>>450619773
It wasn't dota auto chess. Imagine getting fucked up the ass in every possible way by a chinese hobby project lmao
>>
>>450626331
No, Source 2, some even say it was Unity.
>>
File: 1995gaming ads.jpg (320 KB, 1200x867)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>450619994
This anon knows his stuff.

Chinks & Russian bot farms BTFO
BRs priced the fuck out
>>
>>450619773
>Shimamon has more players than Artifact

The absolute state of Valve.
>>
>>450623270
All chinks
>>
Valve should do the world a favor and fire everyone who worked on Artifact.
>>
>>450619773
I'm sure the rise in popularity of AutoChess can't be helping Artifact in the least. It's siphoning away all the streamer attention from TCG streamers like Amaz and Trump as well as having a dedicated playerbase (although that playerbase is like 75% chinese). These are people who could be playing Artifact who are instead playing a Chinese mod full of engrish and imbalanced mechanics.
>>
>>450627392
Good. Fuck Valve. They deserve to suffer.
>>
>>450627282
Still 20 dollars per player, chinks, spics, amerilards, europoors, money is money.
>>
>watch gameplay of the game
>have no idea what the fuck is going on even though I’ve played my share of card games
>fucking pixie dragons flying around and shit giving you coins and cards
>shopping phase (?)
>seemingly get cards from your ass and fail to see how the game progresses (rules ?)
>threee boards lmao

The reason why it failed is because of this. It’s not a spectate game nor is it a game with simple rules like any ccg should be
>>
>>450627512
>dota
>20 dollars

??
>>
>>450623270
The 600,000 players who play Autochess do not qualify.
>>
>>450627282
valve like every company on earth has to deal with a chinese 3rd party to do business in china so steam numbers doesn't include chinks
>>
>>450627553
>like any ccg should be
Let me guess, playing anything other than an MTG clone is outside your comfort zone?
Can't believe I'm defending Artifact but its complexity absolutely wasn't the problem.
>>
>>450628084
Artifact would unironically be 10000x better if it was actually literally just a Hearthstone clone.
>>
File: jesus.png (168 KB, 769x556)
168 KB
168 KB PNG
I like the idea, but I don't like the idea for paying for virtual cards while other games have better F2P models than this P2P model. As someone that is into actual TCG, the RNG like card placement is fucking upsetting. I want to be able to control my cards and not decide RNG on a win or loss. If you want to be complex, at least go down the full road. Other than that why even bother.
I'll just stick to Yugioh and MTG. I can't believe I regret buying this, but considering it's Valve they will shit out some miracle patch, make the game F2P and revive the game from the dead. Right?
>>
>>450628268
It would be insanely popular but also a dogshit game that anyone outside the most entry level TCG players would avoid, just like Hearthstone.
>>
>>450619773
IT'S OVER, VALVE'S FINISHED!
>>
>>450628495
They won't revive the game, but they're gonna stubbornly cling to making it P2P and spend two years working on it before giving up and going back to shitting out more half-assed projects that they're gonna discard before deciding to release some shitty project in 2028.
>>
>Pay for the game.
>Also pay for the cards.

If it was f2p people would be playing it.
>>
>>450623487
The absolute state of Valve.
>>
>>450620089
>lol poorfags cant afford eating shit
epic
>>
>>450628740
no they wouldn't
>>
>>450628907
Yes they would, people still play that shitpile Hearthstone.
>>
>>450619773
People are sick of fucking card games.
>>
>>450623487
gr8 b8 m8, I r8 8/8
>>
>>450629037
Hearthstone is competently designed unlike Artifact.
>>
>>450619773
>Valve doesn't releasing a game for nearly a fucking decade
>Releases a card game
Gee I wonder why a bunch of people bought it and instantly didn't play it anymore...
>>
>>450629138
Hearthstone WAS competently designed. Every expansion after release just made it worse.
>>
>>450629138
>completly designed
>fundamentally the same game since release
>devs are too scared to buff/nerf anything beyond Mana Cost because "you can see mana cost change right away"
Blizzard is treating their playerbase like 3 year olds.
>>
>>450629564
Still better than Valve.
>>
>>450619773
It was too good for what average gamer is used to.
>>
>>450629672
then why aren't you playing it
>>
>>450619773
Devs are completely out of touch
>>
File: IMG_20190204_211735.jpg (669 KB, 2048x1536)
669 KB
669 KB JPG
Cheers, fellow cunnyverse players.
>>
File: 1517526306579.jpg (26 KB, 472x482)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>post yfw all of the tf team decide to ditch the game to keep Artifact alive
>>
>>450630017
oh no not all 3 of them
>>
>>450626763
>Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
Are you fucking kidding me?
Everyone in my class played it before WoW came out in 05.
Even the girls, and that in a time where gaming was very uncool.
>>
>>450630164
>the office plant was the only one actually looking out for the community while the 2 bronies jerk themselves off
>>
>>450625405
Didnt they do that to CSGO already?
>>
File: 1548540467826.gif (3.99 MB, 640x360)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB GIF
>>450619773
>estimated 2 million sales in the first month
>$20 per sale
>$40m from the upfront sales alone
>paying customers fuck off and stop hammering the servers after a week
>probably make double from whales playing the Skinner box
>get extra sheckels from card selling fees
Really, Artifact was the ultimate scam. It is the perfect experiment in how to maximize the amount of money sucked by strategically using different monetization strategies and minimizing costs. I wouldn't be suprised if they had some machine learning models guiding exactly how much they should charge at each step. It feels like a video game version of The Producers.
>>
>>450630017
what team?
>>
>>450626409
steams a good platform but that doesnt excuse what a trash company valve has devolved into
>>
>>450629941
Gentlemen. I'm gonna put my bone inside Luna's butt
>>
I thought it was pretty fun game, I still play few games of draft a week.
>>
>>450619773
I am literally cringing. Not in the meme-word sense, but in the sense that I bought this game, wanted the best for it, but couldn't help but drop it after a week.

I am cringing when I think about the current atmosphere at the studio. Keep in mind, Valve only finishes projects if there is true passion for it. That means there was a group of developers who had a burning desire to ship Artifact. I kind of feel bad for them.
>>
>>450619773
chinese spies
>>
>>450630719
>I bought this game, wanted the best for it
Kill yourself. The fact that you wanted Artifact to be good is why scum like you are the problem.
>>
>>450630719
>That means there was a group of developers who had a burning desire to ship Artifact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw
they knew what was coming and they still kept making it, those devs knew what they were getting into
fuck them
>>
This was the fucking wake up call Valve needed. They got greedy with Dota 2, thinking they could just barge into every genre they pleased with little effort and throwing millions at the competitive scene. Fuck em, fuck em to death.
>>
>>450630478
>>estimated 2 million sales in the first month
sure pal
>>
>>450630892
This. That's why they got Wolpaw back.
>>
>>450630892
I hope Gabe gets cancer, that will teach him a lesson or two about betraying us.
>>
>>450620380
>Dota players don't give a shit about card games, they just want to play Dota.
it was a very strange initiative desu
>>
>>450623487
Big if true
>>
>>450630719
>Keep in mind, Valve only finishes projects if there is true passion for it.
Should I tell him?
>>
>>450630892
>This was the fucking wake up call Valve needed.
nigga, Gaben spends 23 hours of the day in a saline-solution filled VR-tank. whatever the opposite of waking up is, that's what they're doing.
>>
>>450619994
fpbp
>>
>>450623487
Not at all surprising.
>>
>>450626763
>>450625764
I don't know why they'd be so harsh on themselves over Ricochet or DC, they were just free HL mods. It's not like they had sales projections to meet.
>>
>pay2play
Great, if the game is worth its money.
>free2play
Okay, if it passes as a past-time.
>pay2pay
Not okay. No matter the circumstances.

No franchise can catch a fuck-up at such a fundamental level.
>>
>>450619773
>card game on pc
they should have made some mobile shit if they wanted sucess on the card game market , heartstone will ate any potential of any new card game on pc ,
>>
>>450631968
Their logic is that the Artifact model is a 1:1 copy of what physical TCGs have been doing for the past three decades with no pushback whatsoever. If anything, Artifact is a more consumer-friendly version of any given physical TCG.
>>
>>450630478
give me the link to this
>>
File: thatsthejoke.jpg (33 KB, 600x450)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>450620046
>>
It's L4D1 over again
>>
The current state of Valve depresses me to no end. They were supposed to be the heroes! The shining champion against the likes of EA and Activision! The ones who were actually passionate about game development!

All I can do is look back at the 2010-2013 era and sigh. I had a sinking feeling the E-Sports stuff would corrupt them...
>>
>>450632316
>1:1 copy of what physical TCGs have been doing for the past three decades

I don't remember those having an entry fee to even buy/open booster packs.
Sure, doesn't make much sense without a starter set, which could be treated as an entry fee, but their logic isn't sound.
>>
>>450632673
What phsyical TCG lets you play the game without a purchase?
>>
>>450621242
Why's it always gotta be a moidah witchu?
>>
>>450632756
The one where my friend lends me their deck
>>
File: 1532178501246.jpg (766 KB, 1024x1024)
766 KB
766 KB JPG
>>450620046
Because there is no audience.
The TGC players are playing Magic.
The Dota 2 players are playing Dota 2.

This only exists for retards who get swept up in corporate bullshit.
>>
>>450623487
Rev up those lawsuits because I am sure lookin' for a payday
>>
>>450632919
>corporate bullshit
Name even a single thing in "modern life" that isn't that.
>>
>>450623487
>artifact developement team
Haha, look at this faggot.
>>
This is not on tortanic level but it's probably one of the biggest flops in the last few years, why do I barely hear people talk about this?
>>
Why would anyone play Artifact, a game made by the shittiest company, when you could instead play Magic: The Gathering, a game made by a company who actually cares?
>>
Auto-chess
>>
>>450633141
Are TORtanic posters aware that the game is alive and well today?
>>
>>450633084
Any entity that doesn't have maximizing profits as their first priority.
>>
>>450620089
buyfag cope
>>
>>450633205
If I had to pick between WotC and Valve I'd still go with Gabe over MaRo.
>>
>>450626609
Why does this need to be a video?
>>
>>450620046
Imagine a card game in your local tabletop/fantasy games shop. To even try playing it you have to pay a fee, then you have to buy cards on top of that. How many players do you think the game will have?
>>
>>450623487
That's bullshit but I believe it
>>
the gameplay is very good, by far the best of every card game *as long as casual are not concerned*.
the client is stable, has good voiceacting and allows you to create custom tournament.The "call to arms gamemode" is perfect for beginners and quite fun.

and that's about it for positives.
they released with no ingame progression, no "funmode" to relieve yourself from long brainy matches, no cosmetics, no campaign to introduce you to the lore of a world not even dota2 fans ever cared, no puzzles to explain the somewhat counter-intuitive mechanics, spectating is only possible in small corner cases,no replay, no stats, no player profiles, no real chat even though people were rooting for it(they added an opt-in-each-game bad one after weeks), while the game itself is godlike, the card design is 5.5/10 in every aspect of it; they waited until last minute and community outrage to get out of retarded stances such as "we will never balance cards" and " you can't draft for free".And most importantly, after bringing in every card game pro player of the world in their beta and announcing a 1M$ tournament and having their devs shittalking HS ladder system, they released the game with no competitive ranking/progression. NOT EVEN A FUCKING LEADERBOARD I CANTEVENUNDERSTANDWHATTHEYWERETHINKINGHOLYSHIT.

And they charged money for it, in a definitely estabilished market.
I do not think the price and the economy model were wrong, but their offer doesn't seem good and they should have paid someone to explain to the masses the upside of TCG model when they only saw the downsides.
They failed marketing spectacularly, managing to create an hate-base even before realease.It's a weird and magical alchemy what they have done.The "pro players borrowed from other card games first, players second or even last" approach to marketing kinda blowed in their face when said pros were forced to leave because of no ranking system and bad viewership.

but the game has been good and fun for me.
>>
>>450632886
your friend can let you borrow their account then
>>
>>450633281
Is it any fun ?
>>
>>450619773
Mostly waiting to see what they actually plan to do and if they'll release content in a timely manner.
>>
>>450620046
Because it's boring and confusing
>>
The biggest mistake Valve made was making a digital card game work like a traditional card game.

If you had real trading cards, you would have bought them and you'd have used them to play a few games at a friend's or a gathering of players. And then after that's done you pack them away as a collection or something until you decide to play again.

The issue is, you can't really show off digital trading cards as collections and the fact that they're literally digital means you should be able to do so much more with them instead of just mimicking real life cards.

Also when theres literally no progression, you dont really even want to play, regardless if the game is fun or not.

Artifact is fun, but if there's nothing to play for, like new cards, then why bother?
>>
>>450633205
probably because i'd rather spend 60$ to have the entire artifact collection than a single card of a single mtg deck.
>>
>>450629138
HS never wad competently designed, it's a clusterfuck of ideas and bad design decisions in the awful card game engine with zero features added over the years and p2w and rng out the ass with every expansion worse than the previous one. I mean, it actually made a decent formula for a quick and casual card game, but it's not a good game, and it would be long dead if not for the Warcraft setting and Blizzard logo plastered on it

t: played HS since the release
>>
>>450619773
>>450619994
>>450620046
>>450620380
>>450620179
>>450620181

If they would've made a f2p fun TF2 card game they would have made billions. Or heck, even a "Valve universe" thing
>>
Dota lore feels like a parody of the generic fantasy setting and not in a funny way
>>
File: 1544200191991.png (44 KB, 713x342)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
The initial cost of the game where you pay for a few packs almost always a loss in money.
You'e paying $20 for what, $4 in cards?
What a fuckup.
>>
Valve developers are pretty tone-deaf.

Supposedly that Danger Zone mode took them a few yeras to make as well and that was an underwhelming release as well.

In the end they're better off funding other developers to work for them as they've had in their recent past with Portal and L4D.
>>
>>450633746
You can play Magic for free with frogtown.me and Tabletop Sim.
>>
>>450633875
maybe they would've gone the valve universe route if artifact didn't shit the bed
>>
>>450619994
based as fuck
>>
>>450634097
Valve hasn't innovated in a long time. All they release nowadays are follow the leader shit like VR, hero shooters, card games, etc.
>>
File: 1521858737040.jpg (18 KB, 317x313)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>450619773
>>450619994
>>450620046
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw
>>
>>450633728
>The issue is, you can't really show off digital trading cards as collections and the fact that they're literally digital means you should be able to do so much more with them instead of just mimicking real life cards.

they were 100% aware of this and determined to make up for it by adding as many ways as possible to make you really feel like you were owning the cards and could use them in many ways, such as lending your deck to a friend to play against him and more.

Did they do it? of course not, because good intentions actually take time money and effort to turn into good things.

>Artifact is fun, but if there's nothing to play for, like new cards, then why bother?
Artifact strongly need addictive things to keep you playing every day, but please don't be a faggot pretending we only play games to earn ingame items rather than for fun.
>>
$20 PRICE TAG WHEN EVERY OTHER CARD GAME IS FREE

LOL
>>
>>450633875
>tf2 card game
>billions
yeah no mate
>>
>>450623487
Exceedingly large if factually correct
>>
>>450623008
Didn't you feel embarassed making that post?
>>
>>450634104
those ways suck very hard and i can also play artifact for free with an actual liveable interface after spending just 20$.
>>
I'm not gonna pay to play your shit card game when every other one is free to at least play and try.
>>
>>450634308
>That collective groan as soon as everyone saw it was a "card game"

Still gets me every time. Only thing better would be if people booed Gabe off the stage.
>>
>>450623067
I think online card games live and die by brand recognition
>>
>>450634330
>Artifact strongly need addictive things to keep you playing every day, but please don't be a faggot pretending we only play games to earn ingame items rather than for fun.
Maybe it was a bit exaggerated, but people who actually loved the game played it nonstop for a few weeks or months until now. I mean you can imagine, it can get dull after all that time and there's nothing new you can get without paying for more cards.
>>
>>450634345
just say that you get new hats everytime you buy a card pack or something and there's your billion
>>
>>450634643
that also tanks the hat economy, which is bad for valve as well.
>>
File: mvb656timkn01.jpg (180 KB, 1024x740)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
What went wrong?
>>
File: 1514751099517.jpg (524 KB, 680x517)
524 KB
524 KB JPG
>>450634308
Shit still gives me laughs. I remember my friends and I hearing rumors in the arena and lots of people hoping its a dota RPG of sorts or something since valve was expanding the lore recently during that time. We all got massively dissapointed when the card game thing popped up.
>>
>>450634529
Better yet, if Gabe got smashed in the face with rotten fruit. Obese asshole deserves it.
>>
>>450634345
Don't take the billions part literally you mongus. If there was a Hearthstone-like with TF2 flavor I would be on that shit instantly
>>
>>450619773
like mobile games, card game suck.
>>
>>450634462
>those ways suck very hard
I guess if you have no idea what you're doing. If you took 30 minutes to learn, you'd know Tabletop Sim is actually more convenient than playing real life Magic.
>>
>>450619773
How much money do you think Valve spent on this?
>>
>>450634643
Haven't played TF2 in like 5 or 6 years.
What's the state of pubs at the moment?
Have hats actually kept their value?
>>
>>450634743
STEAM
>>
>>450634861
Most of Valve's fortune, because they were extremely invested to having it be a success. Don't be surprised if Valve started laying off most of their employees to recoup from the sunk cost.
>>
>>450634774
You'd be the only one.
>>
>>450632919
>The TGC players are playing Magic.
Is that the only one?
>>
Fuck dota theming. Just make it all Valve properties, next expansion is half life themed
>>
>>450635084
The only one that matters.
>>
>>450635084
Yugioh Duel Links and Hearthstone, i guess
>>
>>450634983
I'm not sure man, the game looks like it was really cheap to make, and the marketing campaign pretty much stopped after the abysmal initial announcement. Hell even their twitter page didn't update for like 6 months after the announcement during TI
>>
>>450635160
This is not a terrible idea.
Although making another card game when there's clearly no audience is.
>>
>>450634835
i tried and it absolutely sucks.
>>
>>450635364
You must not be too bright, then.
>>
>>450635084
CG is dominated by Hearthstone, Yugioh, and Magic right now. SV fell off the face of the earth, Eternal died once Magic released, TES is shit, and you know what happened to Artifact.
>>
It's honestly kinda sad.
Artifact, as a SOFTWARE, is pretty damn good.
Animations, UI, models, OST are all polished. There are a ton of little interactions between the cards, voice acting, a whole bunch of stuff. The tournament thing, the more "meta" stuff is all well done.
You can't really call it a "quick cashgrab", you can tell they worked really hard on it.

But they fucked on 2 points:
1. The game SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN P2P.
2. The game has a bunch of small things that makes it boring. I blame Garfield.

I sincerely think the game can be saved, but it's gonna take a while.
>>
Why the FUCK did they think charging for it was in any way a good idea?! I could understand if no real world money was involved, but ir ha ffs mocrotransactions! I don't play card games, but if I did I would play hearthstone ad I know people who play it
>>
File: 436537643547.jpg (75 KB, 636x464)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>450623642
This post deserved more replies pointing out how correct it is. The lane thing was retarded beyond belief.
>>
>>450623487
New Tyler McCuckcker video in 3 hours:
"INSIDERS LEAK ARTIFACT DEV TEAM IS GONNA GET FIRED"
>>
>>450635160
that's just terrible, mixing fantasy with sci-fy and then nothing else since that's all the Valve IPs. oh and L4D because what's better than an entire expansion of zombies?

the dota2 universe, as they are expansing with Artifact, is actually pretty neat...now if it actually had a game with a campaign behind it, that would get it well known and apreciated.
>>
Valve is what happens when theres no actual managment. People just work what they think will sell instead of listening to what the fans want, And no not even talking about HL3 but literally anything but a fucking card game.
>>
>>450634882
I haven't played since keys were worth 2 ref or something so I have no idea. Apparently now they're 44 ref so the economy might crash soon
>>
>>450619773
>pay to buy the game
>pay to play the game
>pay to get cards
>it flops
wooooooooooooooooooooow...
>>
>>450619773
valve wants nothing but cash cows now but abandoned their biggest fucking franchises to push card games
>>
>>450635674
There's nothing neat about the Dota 2 universe you fucking retard.
>>
>>450635804
That is actually shocking, because it should literally be the opposite. Vavle employees decide their own projects and don't really have as much pressure to follow modern trends when making games. They have the kinda creative freedom and budget other wagedevs can only dream about and this is what they make.
>>
>>450633998
>tfw cashed out on Artifactcoin early on

Game paid for itself and a few weeb games. Thanks Drow and Axe.
>>
>>450636057
nou
>>
>>450633815
>with zero features added
Don't lie like that.
HS has added new gimmicks. The issue is that they are all, without exception, complete and utter dogshit.

See their current 'fuck the entire classic set' due to the retarded odd/even gimmick.
>>
Dotards won't stop playing Dota to play something else. Nobody else will touch something associated with fucking Dota.
>>
>>450623946
Read your post and kill yourself
>>
>>450636151
don't really have as much pressure to follow modern trends when making games.
That is not true, they are rewarded if their project succeeds financially, and punished if it fails. What ends up happening is that people will take the path of least resistance and create some easy to make game, that also makes a lot of money.
>>
>>450635964
Imagine how salty whales are. Probably the last people playing it.
>>
>>450636385
The odd/even gimmick is just copying from Shadowverse. Those two games constantly steal ideas from each other lmao
>>
>>450636520
>don't really have as much pressure to follow modern trends when making games.
Fucked up the greentext.
>>
>>450635674
My dude I couldn't disagree harder with you, there's not a single hero whose lore I liked back when I played the game.
It's not even consistent in universe because apparently several heroes are god-like beings fighting alongside fairly unremarkable warriors or a guy who built a steampunk suit. At least Zeus renounced his powers in a way to be on par with the rest of the rooster because he wanted to keep fighting, that's probably the best written character in the entire thing.
>>
>>450636385
Game client features, not game mechanics
In 4 years team 5 only added just, what, tavern brawl and infinite pve dungeon mode? Even the option screen is the same as it was 4 years ago and i don't think they actually made quality of life changes to the card collection, not sure about this one, haven't played this shit in a while.
>>
>>450633875
Seriously why didn't they do this? It would stand out in the sea of fantasy TCGs and attract more than DotA 2 fans. Did they just go with DotA 2 cause they thought a TCG can only be fantasy based or something?
>>
>>450636520
This. Valve went big in on VR a few years ago since it was the hot new thing in tech and when it flopped a lot of people got laid off or left.
I'm actually curious as to what Valve is working on these days, but I have the feeling it's nothing interesting and probably just back end for Steam.
>>
It makes me mad that Artifact dying means they won't do more Artifact comics.
The 2 they released are quite good.
>>
>>450619773
Hopefully they'll go back to making regular fucking video games again. I could do with a new Day of Defeat.
>>
>>450637570
A third of the company is working on hardware.
We already KNOW they're working on their own headset.
Their new Knuckles controller is getting its final revision this quarter. I can see them releasing their headset(+ knuckles controller) by the end of this year.
>>
File: 1252484658596.gif (2 MB, 250x158)
2 MB
2 MB GIF
>flopped harder than evolve and stillborn
>>
>>450638253
>flopped harder than stillborn
I don't think anything can top that.
>>
This is karma. Asshole developers like Valve don't deserve to release new games without suffering backlash for it.
>>
File: 1549401801021.jpg (19 KB, 578x562)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>450627392
Please can I get a quick rundown, what the fuck is auto chess?
>>
https://isartifactdead.com
>>
>>450623487
>threatened to fire half of Artifact's development team through a "RNG" program
Good stuff.
>>
>>450633875
Originally trading cards was originally going to be for a card game where you use cards from other games to build a deck. (So you play doom and you get 2 demon minion cards and a legendary doomguy card summon card that you have to build a deck around. Civ 5 could have cards that are spells or area cards that give passive effects) Artifact is only dota 2 based since valve couldn't secure licenses to use other game characters for the game.
>>
>>450638779
like a tower defense where your towers duke it out with other people.
>>
File: 1523179539311.png (293 KB, 540x718)
293 KB
293 KB PNG
>>450628495
>less players than Quake Champions

Christ.
>>
File: HEX Iddi.jpg (946 KB, 1920x2627)
946 KB
946 KB JPG
>>450619773
Well, for one, I've never heard of it. Even HEX, Duelyst, Eternal and Infinity Wars are more noteworthy than whatever this is.
Is it still alive enough to at least try out? I'm a sucker for CCGs.
>>
File: Mung_Daal.jpg (23 KB, 480x640)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>450619994
RIGHT INTO THE TRASH CAN
>>
>>450635515
>Eternal died once Magic released
I don't disagree with you and I'm not an Eternal shill, but you have to give credit where credit is due because it gets growth every single month and actually has a stable player base and community.

That being said the game is way too complicated and tries to be Magic, BUT WITH EXTRA EFFECTS.
>>
>>450638409
Lawbreakers
>>
>>450639171
If you buy Artifact, you deserve death for supporting the worst company in USA.
>>
File: 2cat.jpg (94 KB, 624x564)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>450638884
>>
>>450639281
Not when EA still exists, anon.
>>
>>450639280
Damn maybe I mixed the two.
>>
>>450639379
At least EA makes and actively supports video games. The same can't be said of Valve.
>>
File: 1545565036531.png (18 KB, 713x592)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>450619773
Best game mode is locked behind a paywall each time you want to do it.
>>
>>450639281
Oh.
It's not free to play like every other worthwhile card game. This is the reason it failed then. All the other competing CCGs are free. The only one I can think of that costs shekels is MTG and still most magic players prefer physical cards.
This was destined to die with a price tag then.
>>
>>450635163
I thought there were bigger card games than magic?
>>
>>450626328
I've been playing since vanilla and I can't get past rank 18.
>>
>>450634882
Game is still fun as fuck, economy is godawful and metal has lost almost all of its worth
>>
>>450638253
I'm annoyed Evolve flopped since the reason I didn't get it was because buying it seemed so fucking convoluted and when it went f2p It seemed even more convoluted what actually was free and what wasn't.
>>
>>450639445
At the expense of absorbing and closing down good developers and fucking over consumers, yes they make shitty games, too. I'm not saying valve is good, but EA is worse because they're proactive with their cancer.
>>
>>450639071
I wish Quake Champions would switch their damn engine so more people can play
>>
File: 1539310607954.jpg (53 KB, 600x450)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>remember the constant shitposting and """ironic""" shilling this game got
>sub 1k players
eat shit you window licking welps
>>
>>450623487
no mercy for the goyim
>>
>>450639627
I can't say "big" or even an even competitor, but there were a few here and there that were pretty damn popular during their time. See Infinity Wars and HEX.
Last I checked though, Infinity Wars died a year ago at least, if not earlier than that. HEX is still alive somewhat, but it's a shadow of what it once was. I still play it, but it takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes just to fine an opponent.
When they were fresh though, there was a bounty of players to go against. Now, I just end up playing against the same 3-4 people over and over, and 2 of them prefer mill decks.
>>
>>450639872
>absorbing and closing down good developers
Meh
>fucking over consumers
Valve are significantly worse about it in every way. EA wishes they could fuck over consumers as hard as Valve constantly does.
>>
>>450623067
Does eternal have resource denial/stax/tax archetypes?
>>
I just want Valve to put out a new engine so we can get a sequel to something like Gmod, with more flexibility in what you can make with it.
>>
>>450640119
The fact that you don't care about that first part is your giveaway that you're either an EA shill or just a fucking retard.
>>
>>450640119
How are they fucking over consumers exactly?
>>
File: 1400830684358.jpg (9 KB, 177x177)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>When your game is so dead and Valve so reviled there are 3 separate communities on different continents, speaking different languages more alive than your game that exist solely to make fun of it and celebrate every time a new long playerbase low is reached

This game really has brought the whole world together.
>>
>>450619773
niggers
>>
>>450640119
Shill or lil' zoomy? You decide.
>>
>>450640370
For one, Valve isn't giving us Half-Life 3. In my eyes, Valve deserve every bit of shitflinging they receive.
>>
>>450640647
Grow up.
>>
>>450640497
That is true, but it's irrelevant to the topic at hand.
>>
>>450640784
The only people here who need to grow up are Valve.
>>
>>450638779
its pvp gacha tower defense
>>
>>450623946
Lol spergboy
>>
There's only 368 players right now.
>>
File: images (12).jpg (7 KB, 300x168)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>450619773
>making rng a core component of your strategic card game, coming down to character placement and who they target in combat
This is the worst sin by far, it just feels stupid to start a match and be at an immediate loss because the game placed your hero in the same lane as a high damage enemy hero.
>>
>>450638779
You pick a team of DOTA heroes and then let them battle it out in an automated battle with someone else's team. Randomized drafting every round, heroes have unique ults based on their DOTA abilities, each hero has a race and class that gives extra buffs depending on how many other heroes of the same race/class you have. Fun game, probably needs to get all of the heroes in the game incorporated to maximize diversity of strategies. Currently the people who get Kunkka, Troll Warlord, Tidehunter, Dragon Knight etc. can have a notable advantage since those pieces are inordinately strong so long as you have synergy support.
>>
>>450620046
justice
>>
>>450619773
If the dipshits were paying attention they'd jump on Auto-Chess hard and fast, its a shitty game but its better than this turdball.
>>
File: 1502440064302.png (217 KB, 481x399)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
But, but, it was supposed to be the Half-Life 2 of card games bros!
>>
File: Disapointment.jpg (39 KB, 483x464)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
These motherfuckers made millions, if not billions, off of other people's work and their idea for their next big game, after being on hiatus for more than 2 gens is a fucking f2p card game?

Get the fuck outta here. These motherfuckers probably have nothing, but 2 dollar bills so they don't have to worry about counting nor saying the number three ever again.
>>
>>450642279
What if Blizzard buys Autochess?
>>
>>450642614
>gens

Consolefag detected. Go suck Sony's cock.
>>
>>450620046
Not calling other TCGs brainlet but in this game you can't just turn your brain off and "pilot" your deck to victory.
If you don't pay attention to all the bullshit happening and plan how to deal with each of the 3 boards you just eat shit and lose.
Ontop of that you are always racing against a pretty tight chess clock that just gets worse and worse the later the game goes.

The game is fun but it is so extremly mentally taxing I can't really take more than a few matches before stopping. It just isn't possible to play this to relax or do something else on the side.
>>
>>450642683
I hope they do, just to spite Valve.
>>
>>450642683
>What if Blizzard buys Autochess?
They'll dumb it down, which would be impressive because its already at about the level of retail WoW for complexity.
>>
>>450619773

Nobody wants to play a card game. Finish Half-Life 2 episodes, make Portal 3.
>>
>>450642879
>The game is fun
No it's not, kill yourself.
>>
File: 269.png (16 KB, 159x121)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
GARFUUUUUNKERLLEWR
>>
>>450634308
It sounded like https://youtu.be/B_Zqr7crXp0?t=24s
>>
>>450619773
Good riddance, lets hope the next wave of layoffs come from valve
>>
>>450644176
Well, it's the only way Valve could regain goodwill. If they want to make it clear that they stand for good video games, they need to fire at least half of their staff.
>>
File: artishart.png (133 KB, 345x284)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
>>450643136
rrrrrRRRRAAAGH GARFIEEELD
YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME TO DIE LIKE THIS
>>
Its so dead even /v/ is too bored to cheer for this tortanic
>>
>>450644574
I hope the Artifact devs commits suicide over the coming months. They deserve it for shitting all over Half-Life.
>>
>>450620089
fucking seethe lmao
>>
>>450644945
>waah muh episode 3
What a fucking child.
>>
>>450620089
>people still fall for this shitposter falseflag
>>
>>450645291
The only thing a child would be doing in this thread is defending Valve.
>>
Based Artifact (or, as portmanteau aficionados prefer to call it, Basedifact) has not yet begun to peak.
>>
>>450644546
>regain goodwill
>fire at least half of their staff
Anon you are fucking retarded, creating jobs generates goodwill, not the other way around. Also I think Valve has a rather small team already anyways, being a private company without stockholders demanding more HR positions and social media marketing has its advantages.
>>
Imagine the people who defend this game
>>
File: 1 million artifact.jpg (119 KB, 787x672)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
pffffffhahahaha
>>
File: 1504663158897.gif (2 KB, 72x108)
2 KB
2 KB GIF
The complete 180 towards Gabe over the years still amuses me.
>>
>>450619773
Valve decided to make a market sim instead of a Card game.

They are more worried about devaluing their digital cards by giving out free packs than they are about actually having people play the game, its wierd.
>>
I am glad that I got the chance to play a few Phantom Drafts in Artifact while it was still alive. Artifact is a decent game, but the monitization-strategy and resulting negative-hype killed the game.
>>
File: 1524094403514.png (141 KB, 524x524)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>450619773
An astronomically stupid monetization system. Seriously, what the fuck was Valve thinking? How could it ever have possibly worked?

Now the question is, will it get reworked into a F2P?
>>
File: 1493431392257.jpg (2 KB, 256x256)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>>>>>THE HALF-LIFE 2 OF CARD GAMES
>>
>>450645727
>>450645942

I maintain that this is actually one of the most logical parts of artifact fucking up (the real mystery is how they released a game that wasn't actually fun to play).

valve makes more money than god, there is literally no reason for them to bother making a game that will be mildly profitable, they could direct their resources towards increasing the revenue from their other scams for that.

Valve were aiming to make the most ridiculously profitable game possible because that's the only reason it's worth it for them to even bother making games in the first place.
>>
>>450645653
>Gabe said Q1 2019
>No word since the announcement
It's canceled.
>>
>>450620380
Dota players don't even play other games. I think some dude (steamSpy I think) saw the concurrent players of a lot of popular games around the time Red Dead 2 came out and Dota was the only game that didn't saw a significant decrease in its playerbase. The retards playing assfaggots only care about assfaggots.
>>
File: 1549397934824.gif (184 KB, 800x600)
184 KB
184 KB GIF
too many powerful decisions at valve are made by old people, they don't understand what young people want. when you say "you can pay 2.50 for like 75 cards instead of grinding for 20 hours for the same amount", they think it sounds like a good deal, but all the kids and third worlders think it's a p2w ripoff. that and the lack of any sort of progression metagame killed it, people have the innate desire to want to climb a ladder or build a collection or something, nobody wants to just play a game because it's fun when they could play a fun game where you get level ups and free recolours as well.
>>
>>450646316
Dotafags are cancer. Can we please round them up and get them nuked?
>>
>>
>>450646316
This was when Overwatch came out. When Overwatch came out every other game except DOTA saw a drop in players on SteamSpy.
>>
>>450619773
content imo
i like the game a lot but i want more cards
>>
>>450646416
Valve should be able to fix this easily. No one wants to dislike them.
>>
>>450646857
I am going to always hate Valve, and I am confident that most of my bros will do the same. I don't care if they actually fix Artifact, I will just spread misinformation around to compensate for that. I want to keep the hate going.
>>
>>450644574
What happened to make its support line completely break? It went from steady decline to 66% loss in a day.
>>
>>450646692
/v/ is actually the only place where they complain about HL2, meanwhile at the rest of the world:

https://wholesgame.com/news/half-life-2-sales-reach-10-million-pc/
>>
>>450646114
>a game with monetization being the main appeal/focus with the video game part being a complete afterthought is totally logical

Valve should just go and make mobile games then if they think this is the only logical path to take.
>>
File: 1546304095016.jpg (40 KB, 576x1024)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>450646692
>valve releases unwanted game
>no one plays it
>"uuh its actually the fans fault since they still got a game and should stop complaining"
>>
>>450639445
EA has activly murdered some of the greatest game studios to ever exist. They have made the entire game industry worse with their closures and their shady buisness practices, I don't even care if this is a troll you can go fuck yourself.
>>
>>450623487
>to fire half of Artifact's development team through a "RNG" program
is people dumb enough not to see the Thanos satire in this?
>>
>>450634743
most of them are not even made by valve
>>
>>450623487
>fire half of Artifact's development team through a "RNG" program
That's actually clever. If Gabe developed it by himself the moment Valve's financial issues came up, kudos to him.
>>
>>450646416
Not to mention that every game of Artifact felt like a tedious slog. Even MTG feels better paced than fumbling through the three lanes and managing heroes that don't really feel like heroes.
>>
>>450648323
one thing i liked about artifact is that you have cards/units that aren't going to be killed forever in a turn or two, so you can drop a bunch of upgrades and shit on them and it doesn't feel like a terrible waste. i wish more card games would do that.
>>
File: 1546979336836.gif (368 KB, 156x169)
368 KB
368 KB GIF
>>450623487
i want this to be real, gaben living long enough to become the villain, he had it too good for too long
>>
>>450647657
people aren't as familiar with jokes anymore
>>
File: 1524199612895.png (135 KB, 925x1203)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>450623487
>threatened to fire half of Artifact's development team through a "RNG" program
>>
There are already premium cardgames in the market. This was a failure of taking too long to get into the scene.
>>
Card games are fucking lame is why. Like I bought Thronebreaker but couldn't honestly recommend it to anyone but Witcher fans because Gwent gameplay is not very enjoyable. Thronebreaker easily would've been 1 or 2 stars higher if it was a real RPG. At least most gwent games are 1-round Puzzles instead of the tedious fucking 3/3 round games where it's made abundantly clear Meve's deck sucks fucking cock whereas Nilfgaard and Monsters are OP as shit.
>>
>>450647657
Gabe Newell is a sociopathic manchild who wants to have "fun" managing a millionaire company. That's not at all out-of-character for him.
>>
>>450619773
Well the game should not have been based on Dota 2
>>
>>450619994
fpbp
>>
File: 1467951523219.gif (935 KB, 200x154)
935 KB
935 KB GIF
Artifact's failure makes me extremely happy.
>>
>>450649819
when he made jj abrams take the snow dog challenge, that was insane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkcIH6DeBUM
>>
>>450650297
Same. What a load of trash.
>>
man I wish duelyst hadn't died

that was a fun game
>>
The problem is nobody likes the Dota 2 characters. Fact!

While everyone knows the Blizzard characters. And the Magic colors.
>>
>>450639931
But anon FREE DRAFT
>>
>>450647019
I used to be a huge Valve fanboi. In the beginning they really did help PC gaming and they set the standard.

Now look at them. Releasing greedy bullshit like artifact. I hope they get fucked financially so it forces them to make a real game again.
>>
>>450623487
>RNG based firing
>RNG is actually not random
i like this, although sounds very out of character
>>
>>450634308
pure kino
>>
>>450635857
The economy has been "going to crash soon" since forever.

>>450634882
Much the same. The big difference is that quick play has all but muscled out community servers. It's a shame but can't be helped.
>>
>>450619773
>say word about a broken feature in dota 2
>valve trolls stom you
>get banned from every single dota 2 forum including steam hub
What could go wrong?
>>
>>450639445
They absorb and destroy good studios... There are still decent games that come out under their umbrella but they manage to fuck it all up somehow.
>>
>>450636402
Dota and its faggot fanbase always seemed to be "Meleefags, but worse" anyways.
>>
File: 1549930741534.jpg (17 KB, 171x233)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>450638253
>>flopped harder than evolve and stillborn
Anon you can still get matches in battleborn I should know I tried just a few days ago took me 4 mins consistently.
>>
>dota auto chess a mod made by filthy chinks has 10x more players that artifact
WTF GAYBEN?
>>
File: 2019-02-12_23-54-39.png (68 KB, 504x259)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
>>
>>450619773
good
it should be illegal to ask real money to buy virtual items like cards
its right up there with the idiots buying digital games
>>
>>450654697
Valve doesn't pretty much the same thing.
>TF2
>Stand alone free mod
>Valve steps in an pays everyone off and buys the IP to sell it
>Takes almost a decade to finish and it releases as a buggy garbage mess that goes F2P
>Popularizes lootboxes

>Portal
>Small group of people that created freeware.
>They purchase rights to Source and start making Portal as a small indie game.
>Valve steps in, buys them out, then dumps them for the second game immediately after Portal 1's release

>L4D
>Turtlerock wants to make a game with Source and have Valve publish
>Valve buys them out, treats them like crap, dumps them the second L4D2 comes out
>Allows them to use the Turtlerock studio name because it's not anywhere on L4D anyway

>DotA
>Valve buys the rights to a free mod
>Forces Blizzard into a shitflinging contest with their rampant greed
>Settle out of court
>The motion forces every company from here on out to claim rights to any third party mod made for their games

>Paid Mods
>Valve want's "People to be paid for their work"
>What this really means is that Valve and Bethesda want to be paid for other people's work, so they join forces and overcharge for shitty mods
>In addition to the DotA financial fiasco, this paves the way for greed-fueled companies like EA and Bethesda.

Valve is a company that has needed to die for a very long time.
>>
File: 1534786925056.jpg (475 KB, 1920x1080)
475 KB
475 KB JPG
>artiflop
>chingchong controversy
>epic game store taking a huge chunk of his market
Whats next for this fat fuck?
>>
>>450619773
doesn't gaben make enough money.
>>
File: weirdo.jpg (20 KB, 288x356)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>450656543
>Takes almost a decade to finish and it releases as a buggy garbage mess that goes F2P
This is so misleading it's amazing
>>
>>450643784
24 second mark, yeah it does.
>>
>>450619773
>You gain nothing from playing
>0 progress
>WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT LIKING THE GAMEPLAY AND PLAY THE GAME MORE THAN ONE DAY?!
Were they living in some kind of cave?
>>
>>450657846
>Were they living in some kind of cave?
They work at Valve headquarters.
>>
>>450634269
Valve literally pioneered the two biggest VR headsets on the market you mong
>>
>>450656357
All video games are digital.
>>
>>450650297
>>450650467
3rded.

I do hope In the Valley of the Gods does well, though.
>>
>>450647242
I own HL1 and 2 and didn't beat both of them. Got like halfway through 1 and hardly played 2.
They are not fun.
>>
>>450646114
This guy gets it.
>>
>>450619773
Game's in a death spiral, only thing they can do at this point is abandon the current Artifact, spend 6 months to a year updating it on the backend, then relaunch as free to play.
Even then I don't think it will be enough, even if you ignore the price model the gameplay isn't terribly exciting or fun and it might flop anyway after a relaunch.
>>
>>450656543
So the number of absorbed and destroyed studios amounts to 0.
You are trying your best to make Valve look bad but you just can't. Making bad business decisions and releasing a shitty game is nothing compared to the evil that is EA.
Fuck off, shill. I bet you also make Epic threads.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.