[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 4267568479.png (37 KB, 576x240)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>He actually thinks Contra 3 is better than Hard Corps
Explain yourself.
>>
i have played... NEITHER MUHAHAHAHA
>>
>>450492396
I've still never made it past stage five in Alien Wars. Never heard of Hard Corps, gonna download it right now.
>>
>>450492396
Played contra 3 after hard corps and was blown away how garbage it was.
>>
Is there anything good alike on steam which you could play with friends online?
>>
>>450492396
Pretty sure it's just SNES fanboys who think this, Hard Corps is so much better
>>
>>450494038
I could have sworn they ported a Gunstar Heroes game, or remastered it, to Steam. But, maybe that was just a dream I had.
>>
>>450494263
It's on Steam as part of SEGA's janky emulation room thing, it does have online at least (idk if the online is any good though)
>>
>>450492396
Owner of both here.

Contra 3
>better controls since you can activate the bomb, swap between weapons, and swap between free-move and lock-in place shooting effortlessly
>better graphics
>better level cohesion
>bosses are more epic
>music is more memorable imo
>better co-op because bosses have moves that target a player's proximity compared to Hard Corps' "dodge this different attack pattern" design.
>hard mode on Contra 3 is harder than Contra:HC

Contra: Hard Corps
>more characters and special weaponry
>multiple paths and endings
>>
>>450492396
have both
HC is by far a better game but some of the music in 3 is tight
>>
I like the level design.

>b-b-gut overhead levels!
there's like, two of them, and they weren't that bad. I think /vr/ overreacts over this. Either that or a lot of casuals just gave up because they got dunked on by the sand monster, which was just a matter of holding the shoulder buttons so you wouldn't go spinning around in circles.
>>
>>450492396
>hard corps isn't in genesis classics
WHY
>>
>>450495126
licensing
>>
>>450494720
>bosses are more epic
The overhead bosses are trash, everything about the overhead levels is awful. The final gauntlet of bosses in 3 is kind of a wet fart too, it's just rehashed from the original and super C
>>
>>450495016
/vr/ overreacts about a lot of things, it's a running joke.
>>
>>450494720
>[Contra 3] bosses are more epic
>hard mode on Contra 3 is harder than Contra:HC
How could somebody who's played both believe these things? Go fight the GTR boss in Hard Corps again.
>>
>>450492396
ikr
>>
>>450492396
3 is fine, but Hard Corps is definitely better. Niggas be sleeping on Rebirth though.
>>
>literally made a game designed around taking two hits and made it one hit kills because contras supposed to be hard

Remember this when your gonna play hard corps. The fair way is the Japanese version
>>
>>450495705
blunder
>>
File: 1524064462705.jpg (16 KB, 302x286)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Contra 3 was what I call a ''big brother game''. Something that was kinda too violent, a little scary and difficult for a kid like me to play on my own, so I either watch my brother play, or co-op'd and let him carry me. Finally managing to beat that game for the first time is one of my favourite vidya memories.
I am incredibly biased, but Contra 3 is such a special game for me and I can't look at it without nostalgia goggles. Hard Corps is a great game in its own right, but I'll always prefer Contra 3.
>>
>>450494038
Metal Slug.
>>
>>450495016
I enjoyed those levels. It makes sense breaking up the epicness of those levels with these well designed overhead levels that are slightly less challenging; it gives players a small amount of relief before plunging into the hardest and most epic finale in Contra. I still haven't beaten the final boss in Contra 3 on hard mode. Everything else I can breeze through.
>>
File: 72452657.jpg (21 KB, 480x360)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>450495763
Reminds me of another Konami classic that got ''rebalanced'' for the west..
>>
>>450495670
GTR, big magnum, dead eye Joe and the fucking scientist boss are all top tier encounters.
>>
>>450495763
Doesn't the JP version suffer from 50Hz though?
>>
>>450496054
I don't think so, even the gutted pal version was recalibrated to run at normal speed iirc
>>
>>450496148
>even the gutted pal version was recalibrated to run at normal speed iirc
That doesn't really make any sense to me. PAL regions used 50Hz refresh rates for their monitors back then, no?
>>
>>450495952
Yeah I had to use savestates against red falcon in hard mode. Admittedly I do kind like the overheqd levels. Though I do think they could have undergone a little more polish. Those paths over bottomless pits you had to walk across were too narrow.

I loved playing it with a friend though.
>>
>>450496387
Some games still ran at 60z when imported from NTSC territories. I don't know all the technical details but playing a 60hz signal on a pal system slows games down by about 15-16?%

So the pal version of sonic runs and sounds slower because they didn't recalibrate it. Games like THUNDERFORCE 4 run properly because the devs cared enough to fix it

I hope that makes sense
>>
>>450492396
Contra 3 pales in comparison. I still have Simon 1994RD as morning alarm.
>>
>>450494263
Currently, the best version of Gunstar Heroes is the 3D Classics version. We might get a Sega Ages version on Switch.
>>
>>450495836
>big brother game
I don't have any brothers or sisters, but I do have older cousins. Zombies At my Neighbors functioned like that. I rarely played it on my own and certainly couldn't beat it. Always played it with my older cousin. If my family had played Contra it would probably be the same situation I imagine. Glad there's some love here for Contra 3. Everyone here gives it a hard time because of the overhead levels.
>>
>>450495762
The Rebirth series of games was pretty damn solid. Gradius, Castlevania and Contra did really well in my opinion. Felt like what a proper arcade port would be in the 90s, but with fucking amazing sound.
>>
>>450497851
Castlevania rebirth is an incredible upgrade, it shits all over the adventure
>>
>>450497851
Dude Rebirth games were hard as fuck. I recently went back and played Gradius Rebirth and it's kicking me in the nuts. Interestingly enough I used to be shittier at Castlevania Rebirth than Gradius, but coming back I'm better at the former now. Why is that?
>>
>>450495763
>>450495969
The American version with its proper one-hit kills came FIRST, and then Japan got the wimpy life-meter version because they felt it was too hard for them.
>>
>>450495670
Why is that hard to believe? Hanging off missiles is way cooler than anything in Contra: HC. The whole experience of the final level is way more badass than dialogue with HC's chuckling badguy villain; the final level of Contra 3 is in complete contrast to the prior levels by taking place in a darkened lair. The bosses are massive oversized bodies of death able freely moving around the level (unattached) with better graphical detail than what the Genesis could output. You have to nimbly dodge them and can't resort to cheesing them with sliding or overpowered weapons. Most impressive to me is that Konami somehow got the SNES to shit out tons of flying enemies without slowdown on the second midboss.

The last level in Contra 3 is harder to clear than Contra:HC. Perhaps because I took the easiest path and used easy character (the robot) to do so, but again HC allows that sort-of thing to exist. Being able to slide and use certain character weapons can exploit the game far more than what you're given in 3 imo.
>>
>>450492396

Hard Corps is better just for not having those fucking horrible overhead stages. Just make sure to play the Japanese version with a life bar instead of the US version with one-hit kills.
>>
>>450494720
>Contra 3
>Better graphics
>Better music
>Bosses more epic
LMAO nintendies are STILL seething after 25 years
>>
>>450498698
Contra HC is probably the only time I know of where Japan had to hack the original game to be easier for them instead of hacking the US version to be harder for us.
>>
>>450498745
>Using Contra to wage a proxy console war
You probably haven't even touched a Contra game you shameless fag.
>>
What's the verdict on Contra 4? I remember being hyped for it, but it kinda flew under my radar.
>>
>>450499076
Nah, I just hate Contra 3 fags
>>
>>450498698
Brotip, for those of you who rage quit against the sand monster in Contra 3, hold L and R. I know that's why some of you hate it. It's why I hated it for years. I hate the games I can't finish.
>>
I just enjoy myself more when I play Contra 3. I also don't have to resort to playing a Japanese rom just to make the game playable. There's something seriously wrong when you have to so that just to get the most out of game. It shows they didn't really balance it properly. Overheard levels alone aren't enough to make Contra 3 more infuriating
>>
>>450499234
It's baller as fuck. Where were you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt7vdmb0zWU
>>
Post Contra collections
>>
>>450498413
This. That missile section alone was insane. It was fucking hard too.
>>
>>450492396
>Hard Corps

Every single time I hear someone talking about this game on youtube they pronounce it as "hardcore". Why is that? Shouldn't it be pronounced "hard corpse"?
>>
>>450500223
HC is perfectly balanced around taking one-hit kills like every other Contra, especially with the invincible slide. It's Japan that was a bunch of wimps and felt the need to have a life meter.
>>
>>450500369
I'm ashamed to say I don't have a physical collection. The first time I played the games was on an emulator in 2005.
>>
>>450500603
"Corps" is always pronounced as "core". Marine Corps, Job Corps, and now Hard Corps.
>>
This guy summarizes it well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd8Rvu7vB4M
>>
>>450500603

No, it's a play on the word "Corps" as in "Army Corps of Engineers".
>>
>>450500786
Yeah but everyone always suggests playing the Japanese version, and I think for good reason. You have to admit, Hard Corpse is insanely difficult, borderline unplayable at times. I don't think Japanese are wimps, they just realized they went overboard.
>>
>>450501019
2:15 to go on.
>>
>>450494038
Super Cyborg is a shameless Contra ripoff but it's good.
>>
>>450501163
I played the US version and it didn't feel any harder than the norm for Contra. "Git Gud" is pretty much what every Contra boils down to.

Hell, Hard Corps offers a lot more than the standard Contra with all the unique weapons and the slide. If anything, you've got no excuse if you die.
>>
File: 1532573650701.jpg (92 KB, 500x376)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>450501230
Fuck, this looks gorgeous. Thanks, anon.
>>
File: 62475.jpg (86 KB, 640x462)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>450501230
>Look it up
Oh wow, anon. Down to the fucking palette.
>>
>>450501650
I found Hard Corps to be more difficult. The levels were pretty crazy and long. I imagine you need to have all those options because of how it's designed. Also didn't find 3's stages to be too hard. Again, the sand monster in that overhead level is just a matter of holding both shoulder buttons so you don't spin around in circles. And I have a feeling that's the main reason why most people here hate 3 and gave up on it. They didn't know that was an option, got pissed off and gave up after spinning around in circles, getting killed by the boss.
>>
>>450501230
i don't play ripoffs
give me something better
>>
Hard Corps is better as a game but damn, the YM2612 was NOT a good fit for the music. Really should've been a Sega CD game instead.
>>
>>450495016
>there's like, two of them
that's still a third of the game retard
>>
I like the GBA Contra 3 desu
>>
>>450498904
Ninja Gaiden 3
>>
I remember playing and beating Hard Corps as a 6yo. I absolutely loved it. The secret stages, the over the top bosses, the hard hitting music, the sound effects... it was p cool.
>>
>>450502930
That was hacked to be made harder for America. For HC, it was done in reverse: Japan hacked the game to be easier for THEM.
>>
>>450502785
oh no, how horrible. They're not even bad. The second one was questionable, but the first was actually pretty fun.
>>
>>450502663
Metal Slug X, then. I mean, you're not gonna find that many good run 'n' gun games these days.
>>
>>450502735
No way man, the grundge tone of the music adds to the whole cyberpunk aesthetic I think. It's like with bloodlines music, the actual tone is hard to emulate, so other versions of the song lose something in translation at least to my ear
>>
Contra 3 was the more traditional one of the two games. Overhead levels aside it seemed more like a classic Contra game, whereas Hard Corps changed the formula more. It really just depends on what you're looking for in a Contra game. Neither are bad, just different.
>>
>>450492396
Hard corps is the best contra. Ive done all endings. Great game. 3 was EASY after Hard Cops. I beat it first try.
>>
>>450499271
Makes no sense loser.
>>
>>450503746
If you didn't beat it on hard then it doesn't count.
>>
>>450503953
meant that for>>450503787
>>
Don't like either much both suffer from the same EPIC BOSS FIGHTS DUDE cancer that the director is known for. I guess Hard Corps is a bit better because it doesnt have the top down levels and the extra weapons add a layer of strategy but ultimately theyre both meh since you are fighting easy slow bosses for the most part. Rebirth is like a good version of 3, and Hard Corps Uprising fixes all the flaws with the first game and is just awesome all around.
>>
File: 1390870309941.jpg (25 KB, 525x481)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
Contra 3 is the fucking Predator of video games. It's a fairly short, perfectly executed action cheesefest.
There is never a day when I can't boot up Contra 3 and have a good time.
>>
>>450503953
Ill try it in the future. But Im rusted now.
>>
>>450495781
I bet youre dismissing it based on anime aesthetics like the shittastes pleb you are
>>
>>450501163
Hard Corps isnt hard even using the hardest characters, but youve also got browny and fang and the latter has the charge attack exploit that absolutely destroys bosses
>>
>>450505190
I used to play with the grill was she one of the easy or hard chars?
>>
>>450500369
Missing Contra Shattered Soldier, which is in my opinion, the best Contra game ever made. It's basically Hard Corps on steroids. Contrary to most Contra games, Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier are both more boss rush focused "run'n gun" games with very brief platforming sections between the bosses. Also, the reason why I prefer those two entries more than the others in the series.
>>
j
>>
>>450505785
From watching speedruns most people tend to go with the small robot or the wolf, as their weapons seem to mow down the bosses quicker. So, I guess you could consider playing as Bill and Sheera being "harder". But I always found her weapons to be easy to use, the others take a bit more expertise to master, despite having better kill power.
>>
>>450492396
CHC is literally where SEGA's "blast processing" blurb truly shines. Compared to it, CIII feels like a turn-based battle
>>
>>450505785
About on par with Ray, both the hardest characters. Fang's a mixed bag, a lot of his weapons are kinda crap but the weapons that are good are fucking amazing and trivialize the game when used right.
>>
>>450506719
Ray's the hardest only because his weapons are limited to the traditional Contra arsenal while the others have move varied options.
>>
>>450506950
Yeah I'd say so, it's the character I 1cc'd the game with since he seemed like the hardest though the differences between him and Sheena aren't major, he can also be pretty amazing when used right like the point blank spread shot doing some damn good damage and a fantastic machine gun/laser
>>
File: 1549762938445.gif (845 KB, 319x327)
845 KB
845 KB GIF
Hard Corps was the one game that made me wish i had a Genesis, the first time i saw it was around the time DK came out and while everybody was focused on it i was being blown away by the fuckhuge bosses moving all over the screen, they had something i havent seen in a game; a sort of personality, that robot which chases you in the highway and raises its arms as a sign of victory when catches up with you is an example of what i mean. .
>>
>>450494038
Fuck steam just get Fightcade, it's got a bunch of good run n guns
>>
>>450507221
Sheena has the Homing Spread Laser. That alone puts her above Ray on ease of use.
>>
File: fd6.jpg (1.02 MB, 1264x1580)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
You can...
Like both of them, you know?

It's been well over 30 years, there's no way you can't play both and appreciate both of them for what they do differently

Contra 3's soundtrack has some sick military action movie feel, Contra Hard Corps is some of the best genesis hard rock
>>
I say every Contra game offers something, even if certain games (Neo and even Shattered Soldier) stray from the formula a bit. Contra 3 and Hard Corps maybe top tier, but they're not inherently better or worse, seeing as Hard Corps might just be a bit too fiendishly mean for its own good and Contra 3 has those overhead stages.

Ironically Contra Advance would probably be a nice blend of the two if only the controls didn't suck, the second weapon wasn't removed and the sound wasn't so godawful. It's one of those ports that begs for a romhack to improve things.
>>
>>450508672
PS1 Contra games are garbage, besides that they're all good though
>>
>>450497851
Shame they never got ported to other systems, really wish more downloadable games were as good as the rebirth games.
>>
https://youtu.be/Mtz1VkUdMhU
Thoughts?
>>
>>450506005
Heh. Watch this, anon.
>>
>>450509804
You can emulate them on dolphin nowadays
>>
>>450509804
Maybe Konami will do a Rebirth Collection if we speak up loud enough. I also wanted them to do Metal Gear Rebirth. Make it a sequel to Ghost Babel and have Grey Fox as the main character.
>>
>>450510160
Most anticipated game of the year, looking pretty good. I just really hope they don't fuck it up with modern bullshit and keep it pure arcade. So short and linear balanced around being played in one go and 1cc'able.
>>
>>450510160
It looks pretty sick, but I am not a fan of how the sprites are ''off the grid'' so to speak. It's a pet peeve of mine with these retro-ish visuals indie games utilize.
>>
>>450510483
Why not just a ReBirth of the original Metal Gear game? At the very least, it would be an excuse to account for all the ret-cons it got since MGS1 came out.
>>
>>450510160
Huh, the character shadows are a good way of tackling perspective problems and avoiding depth perception issues.
>>
>>450510635
I've hated that shit since Mega Man X4, I still don't understand why developers do it.
>>
File: image0-13.jpg (34 KB, 438x436)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>/v/ contra thread

It's been a while.
>>
>>450510635
>>450510874
What does that even mean? The way the ground isn't flat but instead this weird sorta tilted perspective?
>>
Dude what was with Hardcorps being so fucking trippy?

The enemies, the story, the boss designs.. a lot of them felt like they were thought up while tripping.

Also, see the secret ending.. just weird
>>
>>450510874
Presumably because it lets them create more detailed floor sprites and give them a textured feel, instead of everything feeling like flat boxes and slopes.
>>
Contra 3 was designed with one life in mind, contra hard corps was designed with a life bar and then had it removed just before the american release. By default Contra III is superior to Contra Hard Corps (U) from a design standpoint.
>>
>>450511230
>contra hard corps was designed with a life bar and then had it removed just before the american release.
Other way around.
>>
>>450511230
No you stupid fuck, Hard Corps was designed with 1 life in mind and then they patched in the life bar in the japanese version to make it easier. What kind of retard looks at a series which almost entirely consists of games with 1 hit deaths and thinks that this is some kind of mistake?
>>
>>450506719
>>450506950
Ive beat this game with her.
>>
>>450511007
No, no, no. It's kinda hard to explain, but I'll do my best here.
It's kind of like the sprites aren't foxed to the pixel-grid of the resolution. Take a look at a retro-inspired indie game that uses low-res pixel art, but still adheres to modern resolutions. You'll notice how the sprites kind of ''float'' and move in ways that make it obvious that they're not adhering to the low resolution which they are based on.
If you wanted to rotate a sprite on the NES, you had to draw and animate new frames. These modern retro looking games can instead just rotate the entire sprite and it looks really lazy in comparison. I've heard it described as ''Mode 7''-ish, which I guess is accurate to some degree.
>>
I love the robot with the double jump!

His "laser mace" weapon seemed really strong
>>
>>450510160
game of the fucking year. holy shit thank you anon, im so glad i clicked this thread from the front page. Like, i have always wanted to make my own Hard Corps Style run and gun because it all rouge-likes all the time forever with metroidvainia mixed in on the pixel indie scene but seeing this proved i was completely out of my depth and i am glad someone much more talented than i is doing it.
>>
>>450511838
So subpixel movement?
>>
>>450511838
yeah, the GBA did it a lot.
>>
>>450511838
Well Blazing Chrome's giving me a very "Treasure-style" vibe if they made like, a Sega CD or 32X game. Unlike some smooth rotation and subpixel stuff it still looks stylistically chunky to me in a way that looks to try to be at least accurate to the scaling and rotation of those kinds of games.
>>
>>450506719
no that's brownie
brownie has double jump and most of his weapons are homing weapons
fang is hardest because he's so tall and almost all his weapons are short range
>>
>>450512429
Have you not tried doing the weapon switch trick? It DESTROYS bosses, and him being tall isn't an issue since this game isn't about dodging constant precise dodging or movement, it's about finding simple strategies and safe spots.
>>
3 > HC > 1 > 2
>>
>>450513439
The only flaws with Super C and 1 are that they're too easy, otherwise they absolutely shit on both 3 and HC and have actually well made levels. I'd even go as far as to say they have more fun bosses because the fights don't drag on for ages just for the sake of some shallow spectacle.
>>
>Nintendo put Super C on the NES Classic instead of the original
For what purpose?
>>
>>450515124
Eh, it's so easy to hack both of them that it's no big deal anyway.
>>
>>450515210
Really? Because Contra 1 is said to crash on the default Canoe emulator if you try using the laser or flame weapon.
>>
>>450515210
Oh yeah, mine's modded, I just want to know why they did that
>>
>>450514489
I don't think it is fair to shit on HC's stage design when it barely has any. The long multi phase mid bosses and bosses are its main attraction. I've noticed that boss rush focused Run 'n Gun games get a lot of flack. Cup Head got a lot of hate when it was first announced because it didn't have any actual platforming; yet, the platforming levels to me felt so fucking tacked on and the bosses were the best part of it.
>>
>>450515402
That's why you use Hakichi and assign it to a different emulator.
>>
>>450515475
>the platforming levels to me felt so fucking tacked on
Because they literally were.
>>
>4 minute 3d anime opening.
Neo Contra is great too if you haven't played it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azVh3H_EP6E

Nowhere near as good as Shattered, but it had its moments.
>>
>>450515475
Yeah and it's not a good attraction because the bosses aren't interesting, they're simple simon says patterns with clear safe spots very little randomness and a lot of set piece moments that are designed to look flashy but ultimately waste your time. Trading lengthy levels for these bosses was a mistake IMO. It's a bit like the God of War of its time, and flashy set pieces age poorly.
>>
File: 18245678.jpg (145 KB, 832x832)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>450515807
>NEO CONTRAAAAAA
>>
>>450492396
uhhh...are you retarded nigger? controls alone for Contra 3 wins out the debate. Recently tried replaying Hard Corps and it was so terrible I didn't even bother finishing. I genuinely feel bad for Sega nigs that ended up with the worst versions of every franchise. CV Bloodlines is also one of the worst CVs.
>>
>>450516182
Controls are the only thing 3 wins out on lol
>>
>>450492396
>beat Hard Corps at age 10
>Try it again
>Can barely get past 1st level
Is this truly our fate, fellow boomers?
>>
I wonder if Nobuya Nakazato still works in the gaming industry of if he retired.
>>
>>450516964
>barely get through Contra 1 and Super C using up most credits as a kid
>can't even beat Hard Corps or 3
>come back and clear them either on 1 credit or without dying as an adult
Nope. Maybe it's time for you to start a retro collector yt channel
>>
>>450511102
Music, and the rainbow strobe when you damage bosses.
>>
Which is better, original or remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Op00VyLzg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PpM0mYvV4
>>
>>450512915
no never tried weapon switch trick
his height is an issue when it comes to the weird angles projectiles come from
enemy memorization can negate it but it's still a difficulty issue
just like brownie's height negates alot of enemy fire because he's such a small target
>>
File: nani penguin.png (88 KB, 358x346)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>450515807
this could be the greatest vidya opening of all time
>>
>>450510421
I would, but it seems even with the workaround script emuparadise prevents me from accessing those
>>
>>450494720
Fixed version
Contra 3
>Alien wars? fucking lame.
>Uninspired shit like the previous games
>top down retarded mode9 stages that are confusing as heck and makes you want to kill yourself rather than playing them

Hard Corps.
>Badass Rad Characters
>Dystopian future where you fight robots and chase after cyborg criminals
>Fucking Cuh-rahzy bosses with the best graphics on the genesis yet.
>Rocking crisp music hyped as fuck.
>Hard as shit, only for war hardened veterans.
>Simple yet satisfying selection of weapons that you can switch when you need.
>>
>>450515807
>All those absolutely over the top moments
Love it.
>>
>>450508884
>They're garbage
>But they're good though!

Wut.
>>
>>450518106
Tons of other rom sites out there, iirc they're on rutracker too if you use that
>>
>>450515807
Konami had nice openings even for shitty games.
https://youtu.be/7WHsol7Iwgk
>>
>>450510160
now THIS is a fucking videogame.
Thanks for showing me anon, buying day 1
>>
>>450515807
gosh what a beautiful friendship
>>
File: 245768.gif (440 KB, 288x252)
440 KB
440 KB GIF
It fucking hurts, guys.
>>
I kinda wish Konami would put out a Contra Collection so that I could finally play all the games in the series
>>
>>450519283
If you heard it, you lose.
>>
File: oh no.gif (1.6 MB, 400x226)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB GIF
>>450519496
consider me for the life sentence, anon
>>
Are there even any devs left working at Konami who know how to make an old school style game?
>>
>>450519947
Konami literally does nothing but Pachinko, Arcade Rhythm games and Quiz games, mobile shit, YuGiOh TGC, and PES shit nowadays. They had a development division that focused on the development of console and handheld titles, but most of the talent has probably left by now. So they actually do a lot of shit except for actual video games. And they aren't even doing bad financially, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>450519947
>>450520432
I kind of went on a tangent without actually answering the question, but no. With their actual game development studio barely releasing console games nowadays, I think it is safe to guess that most of the talent is gone.
>>
>>450492396
>Contra 3
>Playable. You die in one hit in all versions
>Hard Corps
>Has unavoidables on Normal that will make you die at least once, Japanese version notably has a "3 hit life bar" before you lose a life, making the game TOO easy.
>Otherwise, the game isn't designed around taking one hit to die and deaths feel cheap as fuck.
>>
>>450492396
But I don't anon.
GOTCHA BITCH
>>
>>450492396
Both games are equally great, fucktard. Although I personally prefer Contra 3, mostly because of nostalgia. Also Europe got a butchered version of Contra Hard Corps and for some reason it was as popular as Contra games for Nintendo consoles.
>>
>>450493779
If you had a hard time in Contra 3, that's nothing: Hard Corps is much harder, almost to an insane level.
>>
>>450521257
>unavoidables
Use the slide.
>>
>>450521257
HC has no unavoidables
>>
>>450521630
Slide isn't invincible and paired with rising ground / angled terrain like 75% of the fucking game it's pretty not useful.
>>
>>450521421
Is that fanart or is that official art you get for beating one of the games? Still, that's a great drawing, pure fanservice.
>>
>>450521694
>First level not on pussy mode
>Run to the oil tanker
>Doesn't blow up when shot at
>Die from enemies spawning from behind, or autistically flail trying to avoid fire while trapped behind the tanker.
???
>>
>>450510160

Yeah that's gonna be a buy from me.
>>
>Contra 3
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylQJ_B-CEsg
>Oh no aliens are attacking I'm scared

>Contra Hard Corps
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FIKowgvIfY
>Fucking hooligns and their robots I'm gonna run them over with a truck and kill them all
>>
>>450521772
You obviously haven't played. The slide literally is invincible to EVERYTHING, though it does have to be timed right or you'll eat a hit when you come out of it. And most of the stages are actually incredibly flat, with hills limited to the run and gun spots that are usually too brief to be any threat.

>>450521890
Uhh, you make sure you turn and shoot the chasers every so often? Duh. Contra 3 has the exact same thing, so there's no excuse.
>>
>>450521890
But it does blow up when you shoot at it, the enemies running from both sides of the screen are telegraphed WELL in advance, and you're given enough time to shoot the sniper
>>
>>450521772
You can slide through attacks and enemies alike. I'm pretty sure you're just not using it right or haven't bothered figuring that out, because mastering it is essential to not dying to certain bosses.
>>
>>450522145
I mean, Hard Corps has one of the best starts in side scrolling shooter history period. It's hard to top the UTTER SOUL of old Konami
>>
Post your favorite Contra tracks.
>>
>>450521421

>Bahamut, Crystal, Harley, and Sayuri

Fuck YEAH, Sayuri was my bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEV6wE0Q1kY

Used to own this for the 360 but I doubt it works any longer. I need to rebuy this for the PS3 I have.
>>
>>450510160
>No online
Otherwise 100% will buy. I'm just bummed that I will NEVER have as much fun as I had with Hard Corps: Uprising ever again with this kind of game.
Why oh why won't Konami shill out their old Hard Corps: Uprising on PC for extra money ;;
>>
>>450522816
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDfgxHQnlss

Not to fill the thread with all things Uprising but aside from Alien Wars as a kid and Shattered Solider, I spent most of my time on this game so it's what I remember the most.
>>
>>450523142

I totally forgot that you could play online with other people. I doubt people do nowadays but I can't even remember if I did or not.
>>
File: 1522567401751.jpg (605 KB, 936x843)
605 KB
605 KB JPG
>>450522816
https://youtu.be/jcApUEVa7G8
>>
>>450492396
>better graphics
>better music
>better stage design
>those top down stages
Sorry 3 is better in every way
>>
>>450522995
You might as well call her a female Strider, jesus
>>
File: 1518019078629.png (50 KB, 750x780)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>Good-ass Contra thread from fucking nowhere
I love you guys.
>>
>>450522816
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqG7glJxM_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWOAimVaCNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ATgqo4WvY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p2rkqiQe2s
>>
>>450494038
I wish this was ported to steam
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29 KB, 480x360)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
What the fuck is this? Why does it have a human face?
>>
>>450510331
Shattered Soldier is such a weird thing to exist, as a contra game at least
One of the OG MCs is evil, its a boss rush, and no common boss rush, but the game expects you to destroy all thats destructible while fighting the bosses, and the music was by Akira Yamaoka.
I didnt enjoy it as much as i thought i would, but its a bizarre thing to exists and im proud about owning it
>>
>>450524384
>What the fuck is this?
Alien scum.
>Why does it have a human face?
No idea. Doesn't matter. It's gonna die.
>>
>>450524291
It actually runs really smoothly on rpcs3 but yes wish Konami ported it
>>
File: 1447568785104.jpg (235 KB, 878x592)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>450510160
Meh. I feel the mistake most Contra-wannabes make is just putting too much shit in it. Contra is slow and deliberate, and rarely do you have to fight more than one threat at once, which is why the 1HP shit works.

Gunstar Heroes and Metal Slug is just "shove as much flashy shit in there as possible", Slug because it's a literal coin-pumper and GH because you had life for days. Compare GH's obstacles to Rocket Adventures on the same system which had a 1HP mode.

But I'm sure all the dumb streamers and AGDQ will eat it up, so don't mind me.
>>
>>450524187

Once you power her up fully in rising mode, yeah you may as well. I think they balance her out a little if you play the original arcade mode but I was never skilled enough to do a run on Arcade mode. I do want to buy it again so maybe I'll make that my next goal once I do.

Still, there's a reason why Sayuri is DLC.
>>
>>450524390

As a kid I fucking HATED that shit, the hit percentage or whatever so you could basically get a chance at the true final boss. That shit fucked with me.

Also doesn't Lucia go evil herself in the sequel or something? Infact, isn't Bahamut from Uprising eventually going to go evil later on in the Contra timeline?

Konami loves this trope.
>>
>>450524857
>Contra is slow and deliberate, and rarely do you have to fight more than one threat at once, which is why the 1HP shit works.
That's not how Contra works. It works by being formulaic, swarming you with basic bitch goons that die easily while throwing in more serious threats you have to juggle along the way. Bosses are rarely "shoot a single target as it fires directly at you" but instead often have patterns and mix-ups meant to catch you off-guard until you know what's coming, and keep switching it up. Some of the most memorable parts of Contra are the multi-phase bosses and some of the really chaotic stages where they're throwing everything and kitchen sink at you, but there's always an out or a perfect way to play. Some minibosses and certain parts, even in Contra 1 through 3, even throw in mooks at the same time you're dealing with the bigger threat.

Some parts of the games are more slow and deliberate, but often these are some of the parts in between encounters and certain bosses. The series doesn't fuck around otherwise, especially Contra 4 on Hard.
>>
File: Kimkou.jpg (122 KB, 1440x1080)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>450524384
Kimkous depiction in Shattered Soldier is even better. Shattered soldier has a lot of returning bosses from III.
>>
>>450524857
>Contra is slow and deliberate
The fuck are you talking about? Have you only played Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier? Even 3 is fast at times and very random on hard. Rebirth, Hard Corps Uprising and even 4 are very fast paced action games. That's not mentioning arcade Super Contra which is non stop intensity.

Also you sound like you've never played Metal Slug in your life, those games are very slow paced and methodical with some exceptions. And calling it a coin pumper is stupid when tons of people have done no life clears of the hardest ones, and with some like Metal Slug 1 being easy as hell.
>>
>>450525590
>Also doesn't Lucia go evil herself in the sequel or something?
In Neo Contra Lucia does turn evil and you kill her. Hell, in Shattered Soldier you have to kill Lance Bean, which was Bill's partner in Contra 1 and Super C. Contra actually has some lore shit going on, funnily enough. In Neo Contra you aren't even playing as the real Bill Rizer.
>>
>>450524291
>>450524786
If it is any consolation, you can buy Hard Corps uprising digitally for the Xbox One.
>>
>>450492396
>segafags
>hur dur hyper stone heist a chink bootleg of turtles in time is better than the real deal
>hur dur hard corps is better than contra proper
>>
>>450526206
Oh good, I actually have a reason not to sell my bone
>>
>>450494720
Correct
>>
>>450526284

If you have a PS3 you can buy it there too.
>>
File: 1541510474705.jpg (14 KB, 480x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>450524857
>Contra is slow and deliberate, and rarely do you have to fight more than one threat at once
Nigger, what? This isn't Castlevania we're talking about. Contra literally swarms you with enemies within the first few seconds of gameplay.
>>
>>450526030

Yeah, that much I realized. As a kid I got as far as Lance but I was never skilled enough to get to the endgame.
>>
>>450526030
Lore? You mean like how WayForward tried to settle all the constant attempt to figure out who the two commandos' names really are by making every different name into a separate character?
>>
>>450526529
Well, it goes without saying that its still available for the old 7th gen consoles, but I wanted to point out that it's one of the Xbox One backward compatible titles. Which probably a lot of people didn't know. Also, you might get some sharper visuals if it's running on the bone? I'm not really sure, but a lot of BC titles benefit from some higher fidelity in visuals.
>>
>TFW we will never get another heavy metal Contra

https://youtu.be/YvrMIJLRLpM
>>
>TFW Konami cockteased a new Contra at E3 8 years ago and never delivered
https://youtu.be/PMi_63T9lHw
>>
>>450526883

Oh shit, I didn't read that right. You can get it on the bone. Dope.
>>
>>450527010
Nobuya Nakazato's magnum opus, don't @ me. Even in an interview he said that this was his favorite installment in the franchise (this was at the time when this was the latest game in the series).

>>450527192
Lmao. Wonder if they even had an alpha for it.
>>
>>450527192
What the FUCK happened there? I don't even remember this.
>>
>>450527192
Not so fast, anon.

https://youtu.be/XjiVPncP4hU
>>
File: 1465329281994.jpg (13 KB, 308x300)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Are run 'n' guns the most VIDEO GAMES of video games? I feel like it's the purest, most unapologetic form the medium has taken. Literal perfection.
>>
>>450527576
I'd put shmups on par with it at least.
>>
File: 47568.jpg (7 KB, 246x58)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>450527551
>Limited ammo
>>
>>450527551
> chingchongchingchongchingchong
>>
File: 1545569457597.png (116 KB, 581x443)
116 KB
116 KB PNG
>>450527551
>>
File: Contra+Hard+Corps_023.jpg (69 KB, 640x480)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>450524384
It's a contra boss
>>
>>450527576
I like it too, but it's a very small sub-genre of platforming games that doesn't get much representation, unfortunately. You have:
>Metal Slug Series
>Gunstar Heroes series (Genesis and GBA one)
>Alien Soldier
>Cuphead
>???
Probably listed all the run'n gun games in existence, lol
>>
File: 823467356.jpg (43 KB, 538x537)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>450528314
>Alien Soldier
Fuck. That game was rad.
>>
>>450528314
lmao are you for fucking real nigger? Explore the genre properly some time I could list a fuckton more off the top of my head
>>
>>450528314
Also, forgot to include the obvious pioneer that is Contra. But the list was meant to focus on other Run'n Guns aside from Contra. I think there are some weird Run'n Gun games for the PS1 and Arcade, but I can't remember their names off of the top of my head.
>>
>>450528536
I would appreciate it if you would be kind enough to spoonfeed me some other examples.

>>450528524
Also, hard as fuck. I have beaten Hard Corps (US) without dying with Sheeva, but can not even fucking beat Alien Soldier. I can get through the halfway point of the game, but it's fucking hard as nails.
>>
File: 1493754577614.jpg (44 KB, 385x432)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>450528085
>Boss is a mishmash of gory bodyparts
I miss this, what are some good games with that aesthetic?
>>
Mega Man
Bionic Commando
Jazz Jackrabbit
Duke 1&2
Mummy Demastered
>>
>>450528716
Bleed 1-2, Super Cyborg, Demon Front, Dolphin Blue, both Gunforce games, all the Rolling Thunder, first Shinobi and Shadow Dancer, Surprise Attack, Code Name Viper, Sunset Riders, Mystic Warriors, Elevator Action Returns

That's horizontally scrolling ones, as far as verticals go you have

Gundhara, Out Zone/Fixeight, Commando, Mercs Kiki Kaikai series (Pocky & Rocky), Mamorukun Curse, Gun.Smoke, both Shock Troopers and more
>>
>>450524291
I wish this shit would go on sale on XBL, I've been waiting forever.
>>
>>450529027
If you want a good body horror-ish shmup, try Galshell. It's fucked.
>>
>>450492396
like 10 people played hardcorps!
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (87 KB, 960x720)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>450529027
I have already mentioned it a fuck ton of times in this thread, but if you want similar monster designs to Hard Corps, then Shattered Soldier is a MUST. Directed by the same guy, and it follows the same horrish designs from Hard Corps (not to say Contra has never had gross aliens), but it turns up the notch compared to previous installments, and the 2.5D graphics help out a lot.
And I ironically find that Silent Hill 3's atmosphere and monster designs evoke a similar feeling. And for a stretched recommendation, if you don't mind reading a short 6 hour visual novel, Saya No Uta has a lot of guts, lol.

>>450529037
Oh, thanks. I agree with all of those except with including Mega Man? I mean, it has way less emphasize on shooting than it does on precise platforming. I always considered it to be an "action platformer".

>>450529210
This is a good list, thanks senpai.
>>
File: Neocontra.jpg (40 KB, 250x354)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Um. e-EXCUSE ME. NEO-CONTRA IS CLEARLY THE BEST CONTRA GAME PROVE ME WRONG YOU WONT.
>>
>>450529656
If you like boss rush style game I'd heavily recommend Bleed 2 since once you look past the graphics it's an amazing game. Very hard arcade mode is quite challenging and bosses are just the right mix of memory and randomization so you're always looking out. Rolling Thunder 2 is the polar opposite is all about the levels but the levels are amazing. And Out Zone is the most fun run n gun ever desu, CRIMINALLY underrated mostly because it never got any home ports
>>
>>450529037
>>450529210
Would Turrican count or is it not linear and action packed enough?
>>
>>450529915
Depends on the Turrican really. Certain games are more large scale level design, while other games are straight up Contra style style.
>>
>>450518407
>The level that starts you off running on top of helicopter blades
>>
>>450530042
>Contra style style
shit my brain's tired
>>
>>450529854
>top down contra
Sorry, honey, I'll pass.
Nah, I love Neo ContraIt made me change my opinion of the top down gameplay, even if I don't like it as much as most of the 2D entries in the series.
>>
>>450493779
Playing the first stage. Desu this feels more like a mod than a Contra game. I've played the shit out of the first Contra, Super C, and Alien Wars. These all feel in line with each other. Hard Corps, with its tinny sounds especially, feels rather strange. This guy here points out the differences in the OST: >>450522145
but the Alien Wars' OST feels like a damn alien invasion. It's gritty.

I have NEVER liked the Genesis' sound so I'm biased a lot.
>>
>>450530219
Hard Corps is weird because not only do you get to store several weapons instead of just two, but there's also story paths and like 4-5 endings, with at least 4 separate final bosses and several stages differing depending on your route.
>>
>>450492396
Hard Corps is the best game on Sega, I play through it at least once a year.
>>
>>450530129
Stage 4 was epic, having to face off the dog commander as the end boss. I love how Neo went completely the opposite way in terms of tone to Shattered.
>>
>>450530219
>I have NEVER liked the Genesis' sound so I'm biased a lot.
I can never understand people like this. The YM2612 was a fucking beast.
https://youtu.be/EVo5O3hKVvo
>>
>>450530663
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLqos66n3Qo
>>
>>450530385
>but there's also story paths and like 4-5 endings, with at least 4 separate final bosses and several stages differing depending on your route.
Just beat the first boss. This is fucking amazing. Except for the sound.
>>
>a fucking CONTRA thread has managed to make it past 20 posts
Impressive
>>
File: 4275386.png (6 KB, 128x94)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>450531221
Well, they do say /v/ is full of CONTRArians!
Nyee-hee-hee-hee!
>>
>>450531221
Bless John
>>
>>450529854
I liked it, it wasn't as good as shattered soldier but still a great time.
>>
>>450531454
FUCKING ULTROS!
>>
>>450531014
Also, each playable character gets their own weapon set, so replays give you both new ways to play and figuring what to do differently next time
>>
File: 1547527915986.png (152 KB, 500x593)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
I've never played a Contra game in my life, where do I start and which ones are worth playing? All I know about Contra is that it's about buff dudes shooting aliens and that Hard Corps has a kickass techno remix of Simon Belmont's theme
>>
>>450529656
Mega Man Runs and Mega Man Guns. That is literally the basics to the games. If MegaMan isn't Run and Gun then what is MegaMan?
>>
>>450530219
https://youtu.be/c1BnRTPrghA
>>
>>450510160
Fuck yeah
>>
>>450533129
1, super c, arcade, arcade 2, (optional) the alien wars, (required) hard corps, shattered soldier, neo contra.
>>
>>450533129
Can't go wrong with Contra 3. I'd recommend you to start with the first one on famicom but Contra 3 is not only a pretty fun game but it also holds up remarkably well in terms of visual spectacle.
>>
>>450511838
Not him but I get what you mean, warping the edge of sprites can get a bit messy when it's overused. Like in astro boy for GBA like >>450512337 was getting at
>>
>>450533129
Contra on the NES is a great starting point. Contra 3 and Hard Corps are must-plays after that. Then, go for Contra Rebirth. Shattered Soldier and NEO Contra if you feel like you still want more.

Don't touch Force.
>>
>>450533129
Go play Contra 1 my nigga and definitely play Contra 3 if you're looking for a quality 16bit era game that aged excellently with memorable moments.
>>
>>450533657
>on the famicom
This is actually a good example of small regional differences. Contra on the Famicom looks significantly better than the NES version and has some subtle presentation flares that the NES version lacks.
>>
>>450533129
Contra 4 is a good place to start if you've got a DS, it's like an mash up of all the different Contra games. Otherwise just go with Super C. 3, Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier are the boss rush games so if you like that style of gameplay play those.
>>
>>450533129
First Contra, Super C, then III, then Hard Corps for the best escalation.
>>
>>450533171
It's more of a slow paced platformer than a run n gun which are characterized by over the top action and light platforming elements. They usually have fairly flat levels but a ton of enemies, often coming from all sides all the time. Something like Ghouls N Ghosts is closer to a run n gun than Mega Man is.
>>
>>450533171
I think Mega Man is more of a platformer with shooting in it than a run 'n' gun. To me, run 'n' gun games are more about plowing down large amounts of enemies while avoiding their projectiles in order to almost constantly move forward, but Mega Man puts a lot more emphasis on the level itself. It's more about overcoming obstacles presented by the level design.
>>
File: aliensoldier-3[1].png (12 KB, 320x224)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
Alien Soldier did Run'n'Gun with bosses only better then Hard Corps

Contra 3 did traditional Run'n'Gun better then Gunstar Heroes
>>
>>450536787
Since when are Contra 3 and Gunstar Heroes traditional run n guns? They're prototypes for Hard Corps and Alien Soldier, with almost as much of a focus on bosses as those two.
>>
>>450537276
Because you can actually die in the stages to mooks in Contra 3.
I guess not so much in Gunstar Heroes
>>
Based Brad Fang Duke Nukem on Altered Beast mode
>>
>>450538114
It's payback time!
>>
>>450537758
True of Hard Corps too, some sections can really get you until you know what to do like the jumping guys in the jungle. Think even Shattered Soldier had its moments. Harmless stages are mainly a Treasure thing, no clue what they have against good level design
>>
do you guys ever get the feeling that like the youtube algorithm the current matrix that we exist in also has a similar algorithm that streams the content we hear about into our "lives"
>>
>>450497025
This post is total nonsense. All PAL games at that time ran at 50fps but they tuned the speed of some games to be correct at 50fps.
>>
>>450492396
The SNES is so overrated, but Konami especially never put their A-teams on games for it.
>>
>>450539916
>The SNES is so overrated
What you meant to say is that you dislike people talking about it.
>>
>>450539995
That's what anyone ever means by it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.