[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Lovecraft films would actually be incredible easy to make. It's mostly implied horror and teasing. You don't actually have to show anything until the very end so they'd be extremely cheap to make as well. It's all about tone and atmosphere.
>>
>doing this incredibly difficult thing that trained professionals with decades of experience struggle with is easy
Start streaming and just keep saying shit like this, you'll be a millioaire by years end.
>>
>You don't actually have to show anything until the very end
and therein lies the problem. The whole point of lovecraft stories is that the big monster at the end isn't a big monster. It's an imperceivable mass of shapes and colours that would drive a mortal man insane from gazing upon it once. There is no way to put this concept to film unless you have it off-camera, in which case the audience will be left unsatisfied
>>
>>172188777
You haven't read him. He describes shit in detail all the time.
>>
>>172189337
Kill yourself
>>
>>172188777
Set design, exotic shooting locations and wardrobe is the hard part. Imagine how hard it would be to shoot In the Mountains of Madness without it being a CGI shitfest. I mean actually shooting in snowy, cold, mountainous regions. Then recreating the ancient city, again without being a CGI shitshow. All the while it has to be set in 1925 or whatever.

Some are not as bad, though. I think a very tasteful version of The Shadow over Innsmouth could be made. Or The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Both would still be $100 million productions, though, if they wanted to do it properly.
>>
>>172189245
Bullshit. He described plenty of real shit. Just depends on the story you choose to adapt.
>>
>>172189401
Seethe
>>
>>172189245
>It's an imperceivable mass of shapes and colours that would drive a mortal man insane from gazing upon it once.
That is only true of some of his stores. Cthulu is very defined. The Dreams in the Witch house also had very defined antagonists.
>>
>>172189446
I also hate the "Dude, ahhh!!! It's so horrifying it can't even be described" meme. Lovecraft literally spends pages upon pages describing in painstaking detail the monsters and creatures in his stories. It's only in the climax, when the protagonist describes their own horror do things get vague. But by that point, the monster has already been set up for almost the entire story. It's a tell-tale sign that someone hasn't actually read any Lovecraft.
>>
>>172188777
Some would, some wouldn't, he wrote very fiction with widely different scopes and scale. Some that could be done with a realistic budget:
Rats in the Walls
Music of Erich Zann
A tv series w some interlinked episodes based on some of his stories would work nicely and easily too
>>
>>172188777
Nice trips
Can somebody post a few of the
>arrgghh niggerman help!
Pastas making Lovecraft look like an idiot? I could use a good laugh I hate being alive
>>
Never forget we were denied Berni Wrightston Shadow Over Innsmouth KINO because every producer they approached thought audiences would laugh at fishmen. Some asked them if they could change it to be werewolves instead.
>>
>>172189429
Still waiting for At the Mountains of Madness from Del Toro.
>>
>>172188777
I feel like you underestimate the difficulty of it all. Yeah you might have a rough idea of what you should be doing but actually doing it is something completely different.
>>
Are you asking a question or just have brain farts? There are loads of Lovecraft movies and there is an entire subset of horror movies that follow this exact act structure because it's so cheap to film.
>>
>>172189806
I hate this clown world.
>>
>>172189828
I hate Del Toro, so I am not. Eggers would be much better. Get back to his roots after the very mediocre vikings movie.
>>
>>172190459
>Eggers

Eat a dick and choke on you absolute fucking faggot.
>>
>>172189707
>Rats in the wall
Cant wait to see Lovecraft's Cat in action

>>172189245
There is "The Colour of Space" movie that aint really terrible and people progressively go insane and "The Void" where, well cultists are already insane and monsters were not the worst thing.
>>
File: Ec3B3acXgAEWokq.jpg (67 KB, 706x670)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>172188777
I want to see Imprisoned with the pharaohs.
>>
have some DALL-E
>>
File: hrhimagecover.png (981 KB, 1024x683)
981 KB
981 KB PNG
>>172188777
>Lovecraft films would actually be incredible easy to make
Thats why i can count good adaptations on my one hand.
If anything Dark Adventure Radio Theatre does a great job with remodelling them to become even better stories(or rather easier to adapt). Sure it's ''only audio'' but i think thats the best format for lovecraft.
>>
>>
>>172190788
Quite boring but i guess thats what you get when merely typing lovecraft into any search engine.
>>
>>172188777
they are
theres a million of them
but you dont even realize it you fucking retarded cunt
>>
>>172188777
Just do his Dream-Quest stories as high fantasy movie trilogies or tv series, no need for unnameable, indescribable, unknowable horror. People have grown bored of GoT, they likely won't care about any new LOTR stuff, why not do strange and mystical lovecraftian/ashton smith type fantasy?
>>
>>
The painting story would be relatively easy to adapt to film
>>
at this point it kept thinking Kanye West was HP Lovecraft and I stopped
>>
>>172188777
Yeah similar to NOPE. It is strange that such films are not made more frequently.
>>
>>172189446
This, something like The Shadow over Innsmouth or The thing on the doorstep would be easy enough to adapt. The latte would be excellent as a suspense mystery horror. Which apparently already has a movie, but it's terrible I guess, go figure.
>>
Wow a Lovecraft thread where a couple of people have actually read Lovecraft. It's surprisingly rare for how short and easy to read his stuff is.
>>
I want to see Lynch tackle Lovecraft.
>>
>>172188777
You have literally never read Lovecraft in your life
>>
>Dagon
>Event Horizon
>True Detective
>Prometheus
>Spring
>>
Why is Lovecraft always most associated with octopi and fish people when he wrote about so many things?
>>
>>172188777
True Detective S1 is really good and inspired by Lovecraft.
>>
Ryan Gosling as Lovecraft
Benedict Cucumberbatch as his black cat Niggerman.

kino
>>
>>172190459
eggers sucks but it'd be better than the fat spic. at least if he has a layout (like snyder) he might be able to make a movie competently
>>
What was his cat's name
>>
>>172194603
i think his most famous story is Innsmouth and people dig the nautical theme in some of his stories.
>>
>>172194733
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DihTL8IX2hs
>>
File: 659.jpg (74 KB, 680x788)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>172188777
>>
>>172194603
innsmouth/cthulu are the more popular ones, cthulu became a meme like 10 years ago. also when you look at his overall works you have to consider that a lot depending on the list you look at might be unpublished so it might be diluting your perception
>>
>>172194556
Alien is supposed to be Lovecraft. Especially the first draft which i suppose is what Prometheus is closer too.
>>
File: lovecat_400x400.jpg (6 KB, 187x187)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>What a boy he was! I watched him grow from a tiny black handful to one of the most fascinating & understanding creatures I've ever seen. He used to talk in a genuine language of varied intonations—a special tone for every different meaning. There was even a special "prrr'p" for the smell of roast chestnuts, on which he dotes. He used to play ball with me—kicking a large rubber sphere back at me from half across the room with all four feet as he lay on the floor. And on summer evenings in the twilight he would prove his kinship to the elfin things of shadow by racing across the lawn on nameless errands, darting into the blackness of the shrubbery now & then, & occasionally leaping at me from ambush & then bounding away again into invisibility before I could catch him. I still mourn my old Nigger-Man, who vanished into his native night in 1904
>>
>>172189446
is there even a single story that he wrote that relies on unimaginable horror. like there's the end of mountains at madness gimmick which is in a few but I dont know of one that would actually fit the zoomie meme
>>
File: whisperer.jpg (968 KB, 1652x2334)
968 KB
968 KB JPG
>kino
>nobody watched it
>>
>>172194861
unless the first draft is an entirely different movie no, neither have anything one could connect to lovecraft
>>
>>172194901
The Hounds of Tindalos.
> "What were they like?" I said, to humor him.
>He leaned forward and gripped my arm. He was shivering horribly. "No words in our language can describe them!" He spoke in a hoarse whisper. "They are symbolized vaguely in the myth of the Fall, and in an obscene form which is occasionally found engraved on ancient tablets. The Greeks had a name for them, which veiled their essential foulness. The tree, the snake and the apple—these are the vague symbols of a most awful mystery.
>>
>>172194929
you are an idiot
>>
I used to think this, but the reality is most of the stories that haven't already been adapted have very slow starts. I actually tried a few times to write a script for The Rats in the Walls, but very little happens until you get to the ending. It's just a creeper in a big house with a shitload of cats paranoid he hears rats in the walls. Then the ending is explosive, mind-bending shit.

I think for it to work the film would have to actually start right when the expedition gets there and finds the doorway to the subterranean alien city, but then what, you could maybe get 40 minutes out of that, and without the setup it might just come across as noise and shock value.
>>
>>172194999
feel free to prove me wrong retard
>>
>>172194929
http://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/1979/04/the-naming-of-necronom-series.html
>>
>>172194705
Only of Bernadette Cabbagepatch is in blackface.
>>
>>172195090
shut your idiot face you fucking moron cunt
see>>172195098

Its common knowledge Giger intended it,

Vice: Can you tell me about the dream behind Necronomicon your book that Ridley Scott used as the template for Alien?
HR Giger: These things come from H.P. Lovecraft. In the ’70s I was very familiar with Lovecraft. (vice.com/ 2009)
>>
>>172194989
tbf they werent created by lovecraft but canonized by him so kind of a middle ground
>>
>>172194794
>cthulu became a meme like 10 years ago
Yeah anon the 80s was 40 years ago
>>
>>172194929
>>172195090
http://alienexplorations.blogspot.com/1979/08/h-p-lovecraft.html

Retard
>>
>>172189245
ARE THOSE...SHAPES AND COLORS????? NOOOOOOOO I'M GOING INSANE AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
>>
>>172195212
The egg thing is interesting, maybe the eggs in Alien weren't actually eggs but an Alien themselves.
>>
>>172194905
They changed too much of the ending for my taste, it's a lot more watchable than their adaptation of Call of Cthulhu (which is a silent film).
>>
>>172194989
I mean, most people interpret the description as vaguely dog-shaped, but hideous and alien in appearance. They're called hounds more for their ability to track their prey no matter where or when they go. Apparently time travel makes them aware of your presence and they can appear from any corner and will hunt their target forever until they catch them. Their appearance begins with smoke, then their head, then their body and they've described as having long, hollow, prehensile probiscus tongues with which they drain their victims.

It just wants to give you the succ.
>>
>>172195098
>>172195126
>>172195212
so to be clear Giger reading lovecraft and using his interpretation/inspiration from it (while high on LSD) then painting/drawing alien = alien and promethus are part of lovecraft canon.

Like what kind of six degrees of separation retardation is this
>>
>>172195328
my god kid are you fucking stupid? You are wrong enough. Absolute retard.
>>
>>172195063
>but very little happens until you get to the ending
so it would be a slow-burn bone-chilling jumpscare free horror, sois love that shit
>>
File: 1659586950947506.jpg (25 KB, 699x435)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>172194901
Color out of space as well. How can you show a color that isn't a color? Or, well, not one that has ever been seen before. It can really only be done through metaphor like having the movie be in black and white or something.
Other than the color aspect though, everything else about that alien is absolutely filmable.
There is a scene where some farmers shoot a woodchuck and it "has an expression never seen on a woodchuck before" or something like that lol. Which could still easily be shown and be horrifying. Imagine smiledog but 10x
>>
File: file.png (134 KB, 350x527)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>172195280
Ending the movie with the original twist would have been a bit quaint for modern audiences
Also Dead Silence did it just a few years before and it was silly
>>
>>172195370
zoomie no one cares about your opinion if you're going to reply you should put substance in otherwise it's just white noise
>>
File: file.png (193 KB, 818x359)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
>>172195402
>It can really only be done through metaphor like having the movie be in black and white or something.
Well guess what, nigger.
movie is Die Farbe
>>
>literal quote that Ridley and Giger intended Alien to be Lovecraftian
>retard: no thats not evidence

Phobos: Could you tell us a little about the story of Alien?
O'Bannon: Alien ( a more revealing title would be The Haunted Spaceship), is about a crew of astonauts who encounter a supernatural menace. It's more of a science-fiction terror piece.... very Lovecraftian.
Phobos: A science fiction gothic story?
O'Bannon: Yes (Phobos #1 Summer, 1977, p15)
(O8:26) Dan O'Bannon: I do think that Alien managed to capture some of the quality of Lovecraft, obviously the storyline is completely different. In terms of atmosphere, it may have been successful at that, it's very gratifying (2009 H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival: Dan O'Bannon's "Howie" Acceptance Speech)
(07:07) Interviewer: Outside of best adaptations or best films, what films do you think are the best cosmic/ Lovecraft films, you know if you expand the definition beyond Lovecraft
Dan O'Bannon: Oh my, there's not much you know. It's very very difficult to achieve that tone in film. I'm not sure anyone had. I tried very hard on Alien to do that, to do erm. Alien was strongly influenced tone wise of Lovecraft, and one of the things that proved it is that you can't adapt Lovecraft without an extremely strong visual "stuckout?". It has to be very very stylised and very particular. What you need is a cinematic equivalent of Lovecraft's prose, that's the problem, that's very hard to achieve. Lovecraft can't be adequately adapted for ordinary cinematography at all. So it's still there to be done if anyone wants to stick his neck in it (2009 H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival: Dan O'Bannon's "Howie" Acceptance Speech)
>>
>>172188777
>It's mostly implied horror and teasing. You don't actually have to show anything until the very end so they'd be extremely cheap to make as well. It's all about tone and atmosphere.
Do you mean like this? Not Lovecraft but your recipe there
>>
>>172195402
>There is a scene where some farmers shoot a woodchuck and it "has an expression never seen on a woodchuck before"
whaat. I just reread color a few months ago after I watched the movie and I dont remember that part.
>>
>>172195280
Even with the ending straying a into the action realm, I think it's one of the best adaptations of his work. Definitely the best direct adaptation.
I think even if you didn't like it, you've got to admit it's kino.
>>
>>172195436
the literal fucking writer says it you utter chimp dumb fuck

Phobos: Could you tell us a little about the story of Alien?
O'Bannon: Alien ( a more revealing title would be The Haunted Spaceship), is about a crew of astonauts who encounter a supernatural menace. It's more of a science-fiction terror piece.... very Lovecraftian.
>>
>>172195402
There's already been like three adaptations of Colour Out of Space (remember, Lovecraft was a massive anglophile and spelled everything in old english) and the last one with Nick Cage was actually pretty good and extremely horrific.
>>
>>172195491
so first of the original post said lovecraft implying part of his canon and what you're posting implies it as cosmic horror. it doesn't matter because it's obviously not cosmic horror since it's just a slasher and promethus makes the whole thing completely mundane
>>
>>172195503
Friendly reminder we got robbed of a trilogy because Richard Stanley had to act like a nigger.
>>
>>172195436
You idiot. Prometheus is At the Mountains of Madness.
>>
File: soi.png (190 KB, 640x590)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>172189805
>OH MY GOD IS THAT AN ITAL*AN? AAAHHHH LOOK AT HIS SWARTHY COMPLEXION OH GOD I AM GOING INSANE HE IS USING HIS HANDS TO TALK LIKE A NEVER BEFORE SEEN MONSTER FROM THE DEEP ABYSS OF SPACE OH MY GOD HE JUST INVOKED THE ELDER GODS WITH WORDS BARELY HUMAN AND MY FEEBLE HAND ALMOST DOES NOT DARE TO WRITE DOWN THIS UNHOLIEST OF INCANTATIONS (Buongiorno mi amici)
>AHHH HELP ME NIGGERMAN HE JUST OPENED UP A RESTAURANT THAT SERVES PIZZA I AM GOING INSANE
>>
>>172195536
Stop breathing.
>>
>>172191290
Dagon, kind of ok for a lovecraft themed movie
>>
lovecraft sucks and he was an incel
>>
>>172195562
what the squidbaby is the shoggoth? vaguely analogous but for the ending I suppose.
>>172195600
why do you waste your time posting these effeminate replies. are you so zoomie you think I might actually care about your flacid insults?
>>
>>172195536
Based retard
>>
File: IMG_20220728_164703935.jpg (2.15 MB, 4032x3024)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>172195477
>the McGregor boys from Meadow Hill were out shooting woodchucks, and not far from the Gardner place bagged a very peculiar specimen. The proportions of its body seemed slightly altered in a queer way impossible to describe, while its face had taken on an expression which no one ever saw in a woodchuck before. The boys were genuinely frightened, and threw the thing away at once, so that only their grotesque tales of it ever reached the people of the countryside.
So people read "impossible to describe" and take that literally. Why should you? Just make it difficult to discern what's wrong with it unless you're looking at it very closely. Subtle or odd changes in the bone/muscle structure and a fucking terrifying face and I think you could capture it well.
>>
>>172195503
Sure, doesn't contradict what I said. My point was the impossible color aspect described in that story is not really translated in the film, it's just violet. It's not something that can be conveyed visually except through a metaphor I think. Maybe you could have a blank space in the film thats kind of like a texture glitch in a game? Idk. People haven't really given it a good shot. The only one to really try was the German one that just made the movie black and white and the only thing that has color is THE colour.
>>
>>172195899
you could make it a found footage type film and have the color show up as static
>>
File: xjjBqyG.png (226 KB, 748x443)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
>>172194905
Pretty good for an indie movie
>>
File: EsKuh76UwAA8x9Q.jpg (108 KB, 1242x1850)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>172194869
Based Lovecraft hitting me with the feels. Lost my cat a few months ago. I know the pain he felt.
>>
File: WhispererDarkness.jpg (390 KB, 1920x1080)
390 KB
390 KB JPG
>>172195478
Definitely
>>
File: PXL_20220730_150804294.jpg (2.08 MB, 3024x4032)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>172195954
Yeah, like it doesn't register on the camera? That could be neat. You show it's there but it isn't shown.
Lovecraft has amazing ideas and is ripe for so much great creativity when building on his work, it's such a fucking shame it's almost never taken seriously. Outside of other writing and maybe some games. And people say you just can't adapt it. Anyone who's seriously read it knows that's not true. Even if it's very difficult.
One day, we may.
>>
>>172195430
>modern audiences
Fuck modern audience, If you want to watch Lovecraft's work is not for the unicorns and the gay ass endings.
>>
I haven't seen a Lovecraft article, be it a story influenced by, a game adaptation, or a potential film, where the comment section didn't immediately devolve in to "Lovecraft was a racist" shit where the guys entire influence and back catalogue is apparently a moot point now because of this
>>
>>172196294
ironically he wasn't racist by liberal standards. His views on race were quite similar to the typical libshits views.
So its largely bullshit character assassination.
>>
>>172196294
He grew up in segregated times what do they expect. If they think Lovecraft doesn't deserve to be remembered because of a few poems and a black cat, I hope they don't look in to Washington and Lincoln.
>>
>>172189471
>That is only true of some of his stores. Cthulu is very defined.
Looking at him is supposed to kill you or turn you insane. Just because some of his traits are superficially described doesn't mean that you can do the concept justice by showing a bipedal octopus.
>>
File: 1658835039880796.gif (1.7 MB, 498x372)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB GIF
>>172196215
Based and true
Don't corrupt the past to appease the present, tf is the point of even adapting something if that's your goal.
Maybe you have a good argument it's an improvement in some cases but this ain't it and good luck finding someone around today who has the writing ability to make meaningful improvements on Lovecraft's strongest stories.
Try that and know what you'll get 9.9 times out of 10?
Tom cruise, romance subplot, pg-13 rating. Kryptonite.
>>
>>172196325
No he definitely thought other races were inferior, but most of his vitriol is reserved for his fellow white people who have degenerated culturally, physically or both: white trash, whether they by the mountain men of the Appalachias or the rednecks of the deep south. They're always imbred, ignorant, morally corrupt and then for added emphasis they'll be race-mixing with aliens or something.

The big twist ending of Shadow Over Innsmouth, for example, is basically a white guy discovering he has a negro in his family tree and then his self-image begins to degenerate and he turns into a mulatto.... figuratively speaking.
>>
File: 51qD-Su9ZsL.jpg (55 KB, 364x500)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Why the fuck haven't they attempted to adapt this? It's his only full-length novel and it's a really damn good read stuffed full of different weird monsters, many of whom aid the protagonist. It's got a pretty good ending too. I think Elijah Wood would be a perfect fit for the lead. I mean he's kind of a passive protagonist wandering through a wacked out wonderland entreating the aid of armies of ghouls and talking cats.
>>
>>172196294
If you're a fan of Lovecraft and want to have actual discussions about his writing it's the most tiring thing on the fucking PLANET
Cat memes aside, it's just downright annoying. Like that guy at a party who keeps repeating the same jokes to see if anyone laughs. But forever.
>>
File: 1623445648344.png (165 KB, 729x638)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>>172196509
>that cat
wait a minute
>>
>>172196491
>No he definitely thought other races were inferior, but most of his vitriol is reserved for his fellow white people who have degenerated culturally, physically or both: white trash, whether they by the mountain men of the Appalachias or the rednecks of the deep south. They're always imbred, ignorant, morally corrupt and then for added emphasis they'll be race-mixing with aliens or something.
Kinda ironic, considering how Lovecraft would have been unable to support himself financially and regularly slipped into a psychologically or physiologically induced coma from minor disturbances or something like slightly warm weather.
>>
>>172188777

The trick today would be to shove in a few explicit scenes of AI generated idontevenwtfmyeyesareseeing CGI
>>
>>172195214
Yes
>>
File: 1600101572482.jpg (17 KB, 358x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>172196491
> he definitely thought other races were inferior
I fail to see the problem with this line of thinking.
>>
>>172196566
Well, maybe it was all projection in the end. Inbred blue-blood lashing out at the lower classes.
>>
File: Marebito.jpg (15 KB, 250x373)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
Pic related is the best Lovecraftian movie I've seen, and it was shot for like a couple thousand dollars iirc. Not over-reliant on effects or 'monster' reveals, creates horror entirely through mood, which is all the more impressive since it's set in modern day Tokyo.

It also has the best representation of a Lovecraftian Mountains of Madness landscape in any film period. It shows up for like ten seconds total but leaves you stunned.

Proof that you can create a compelling Lovecraft film for minimal budget if you have the right ideas / people. (Doesn't hurt that this thing had Tsuakmoto and Chiaki J. Konaka, the Lain guy, working on it)
>>
File: IMG-20220801-WA0000.jpg (147 KB, 736x748)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>172196509
It'd probably be better off animated, I think but yeah it's a HUGE shame most of the dream stuff is largely ignored.
It would need a big budget, obviously. Which usually turns into studio shackles unless you can get a director with the power to make unilateral decisions.
>>
>>172196491
no he didn't. In one of his letters he says how he thinks you could take an asian kid give them plastic surgery to look white and raise them to be identical to any other white person.
ie he believed in nurture over race, exactly what liberals say. He also complimented Jews and he didn't have an issue with a mixed person.
You are talking out of your butt from what you have heard of him.
>>
>>172196716
I've read all of his novellas and short stories and much of his poetry but not his personal correspondence, so all I can see is as a published author he espouses views contrary to his apparent personal beliefs.
>>
>>172195214
Yuck, from mildly amusing this is just sad and cringe now
>>
>>172194773
wish I could find the edit of this

>there, he and his black cat NIGGERMAN
>are disturbed by verminous NIGGERS behind the walls
>>
>>172196566
I would say it wasn't so much racism as classism. He writes positively of wealthy Arabs and Spaniards and very derisively of lower class whites. He absolutely hated blacks.

It's ironic in that, yes he married a Jewish woman, and they divorced because they couldn't reconcile their values. I think it was good though in that the shit he went through in trying to court her very likely influenced much of his writing. He despised New York, he hated melting pots and diversity and race mixing. It made him sick to his fucking stomach, but she loved that shit. She couldn't leave New York and he couldn't live there.

And yeah, a lot of his issues are the result of his parents. His dad fucked around and got syphilis from a hooker and ended up in an insane asylum. His mother as a result wouldn't let him out of the house and constantly insulted him as ugly and worthless because he looked so much like his father. I'm sure that weighed heavily on him. He feared he'd grow up to meet an end just like his dad.
>>
>>172196648
Will peep fren
>>
>>172196928
i don't think he hated negroes he just didn't believe in the deliberate mixing of people. He didn't fault a person for being mixed though, he said it was irrelevant if someone had a drop of this or that.
>>
>>172196491
the thing he hated was immigrants because they radically changed the country and were foreign. He describes that in his work.
He didn't seem to concede when talking with Robert Howard and agree that Hispanics could become Americans.
>>
>>172197190
he did seem to concede*
>>
>>172189471
>Cthulu is very defined
he is "defined" in the same way that a humanoid figure with tentacles and wings is as accurate a representation of the real thing as when danforth snapped and just started naming train stations when he saw the shoggoth. was the shoggoth a train?
>>
>>172188777

You don't need to see a film adaptation of HP Lovecraft. What you need to do is take DMT and meet the Machine Elves that Lovecraft's stories are based on.
>>
>>172189245
Midwit explanation. Lovecraft classics follow a fairly unique, or at least characteristic, structure I think of as the three tiered horror. The original horror is some bloody awfulness that is par for the course for pulp horror of the time. For ATMOM, that’s finding the expeditionaries’ remains and traces of the Elder Things.
The second tier horror, which normally would be the ultimate twist in the better stories by others, exponentially escalates the situation while also undermining any possible expectation. (often literally kek) For Mountains, this is finding out that there is a whole fucking city of these unimaginably awful alien monsters.
The final, trademark Lovecraft turn that only he takes and that made him what he is, exponentially ups the stakes beyond any genre or definition, far outside the realm of horror fiction. For Mountains, that is finding that the Elder Things were “just men”, men of science, wiped out by a far worse evil, the Earth itself is a playground, and Man is just the sad, doomed descendants of monkeys made artificially to act as freakish clowns for the amusement of beings so far beyond good or evil or comprehension that they can scarcely be described even by the Elder Things.
Any Lovecraft movie would barely even get that first tier right at most. And no, you can’t just work via atmosphere for his more cinematic, lengthy works. Any Lovecraftian creation, including architecture or objects, that gets shown is likely to disappoint or underwhelm. Not just “final boss” monsters. Monsters are the least of the problem in Lovecraft.
Even if you did as literal and direct an adaptation as possible, his best works would fail onscreen by the second act. Let’s say you get the Elders right in the early parts of the story, which you can’t make live up to imagination but pretend you do. Now what? Rubber suits and CGI and sparkle? Showing the city? Narrated flashbacks of the eons of time and the creation of Shoggoths?
>>
>>172197573
this, desu. a lovecraft movie should not have the audience come out thinking "that was some cool monster design!" but rather leave them pondering about the meaninglessness of their life in the large scope of the universe
>>
>>172196491
He was interested in science and read every scientific journals he came across, at that time racial classifications and eugenics science was very popular and taken seriously. He didn't even have high expectations for himself, thought he was very ugly and having mental illness cases in his family history effected him a lot and expressed that in his writings.
>>
File: I hate boatfags.png (55 KB, 1498x868)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
I hate you niggas
>>
>>172195370
So we’re agreed that Giger just did his own thing and slapped a little terminology from old books he maybe read onto them. By this logic, my rpg campaigns are Lovecraft canon too. Fucking dipshit.
>>
>>172194905

The ending wasn't very good and the cgi wasn't the best. I preferred their version of the call of cthulhu.
>>
>>172195460
It doesn’t matter what they intended. It’s not, and they aren’t authorities. I intended to not ridicule ignorant low-info retards online but look, I just tore you apart.
>>
>>172196491
>The big twist ending of Shadow Over Innsmouth, for example, is basically a white guy discovering he has a negro in his family tree and then his self-image begins to degenerate and he turns into a mulatto.... figuratively speaking.
nah, that story is all about lovecraft's own fears that he could end up insane like his mom and dad did. you're dumb for trying to see race into everything
>>
>>172195491
Yes, he wanted it to be Lovecraftian. But failed.
>>
>>172196491
>>172197772
Also why feel the need to equate immortal man-flesh eating immortal fish people with blacks? Can't the terror of it being that he's really a fish person all along and will soon devolve into their caste & schemes of dominating the overworld be enough? Why try to see things where they don't exist just to look smart?
>>
>>172195600
He’s right, and you’re a retard. They tried to take surface level Cliffs Notes buts of Lovecraft and shoehorn them in and made something else. The only “Lovecraft” part of Alien is that it has a monster from space in it (so does Godzilla vs. Mothra) and you don’t really see the monster until the end (like Jaws, which is equally Lovecraftian in tone and execution, and not accidentally).
>>
>>172197863
No work of fiction ever written in human history is literal. Everything is allegory.
>>
>>172197952
desu if I had to pinpoint a Lovecraftian moment in Alien it would actually be the bit where they find the "space jockey"
>>
>SJW think he was le racist forever and hates him
>/pol/ hates him for changing his views later in life
>normies think he's just le big squidman going insane
I agree that it's the easiest and cheapest to make horror, but that implies a competence in making movies that Hollywood lost during the writer's strike.
It's also lacking in TWEEST for the ADHD generation since most of Lovecraft's toolbox of horror has been done to death already in movies.
You could make the best horror movie ever using Lovecraft and the response would be "It's great... but very formulaic and we've seen this already."
>>
>>172188777
>all you need is tone and atmosphere
Yes, well unfortunately Hollywood has jo writers capable of establishing either right now, unless the "tone" is self-righteous and the "atmosphere" is cobbled together by a 10th grader.
>>
>>172198088
>It's great... but very formulaic and we've seen this already
yeah i've seen people complaining about how the original halloween is pretty much just a formulaic slasher
>>
>>172194869
Is it really racist if he LOVED the niggerman?
>>
>>172197988
ok pseud
>>
>>172197952
just stop guy you were wrong the first time. Stop doubling down you mentally disabled faggot.
>>
>>172195713
If you can capture it well, you didn’t succeed at Lovecraft. It’s a paradox, and that’s deliberate. As soon as you can just define it, it stopped being what it is and became something less interesting and is no longer H.P.’s setting.
Not all of his stuff is like this. Cthulhu is clearly defined and can be accurately sculpted, for instance. As can, say, Mi-go. Some things cannot be clearly seen or defined, period, though, and yes that is impossible and magical. That’s the point.
Like all magic, and all of the unknown, as soon as you define it then it is no longer magic and as soon as you can show it, it is no longer Cosmic Horror. He literally wrote a story about a color that doesn’t exist. No human will ever see or describe a currently unknown color. That is the point. If you put the Colour Out Of Space onscreen, it’s not Lovecraft’s concept any more, it’s some other thing and you failed. By definition.
This is like when low-IQ people are asked “what would you feel like if you had eaten tacos for breakfast today” and they just go “but I didn’t, I had cereal” over and over until they get mad. And this exact human, obvious desire and impulse to define and depict and explain is exactly what Lovecraft was rejecting and playing with by trying to tell stories about things simply beyond that. Universes where math doesn’t work.
>>
>>172198230
He didn't even name him, it was his dad.
>>
>>172198230
cat vanished in 1904, this means lovecraft was 13 or 14 at the time. in another letter he talks about how that cat was adopted, so there's a chance kid lovecraft didn't even name the cat. but yeah he loved the damn kitty, and putting him in "rats in the walls" was his way of immortalizing him. (he never would've imagined he'd become such a looming literary figure even his letters would get published in various tomes)
>>
>>172197844
>>172197762
Alien is very lovecraftian. Your opinion is not fact. You seething imbecile.
The fuck are you saying low info, you have multiple people, directors saying Alien is Lovecraftian. The irony is you aren't an authority you stupid kid on what is and isn't lovecraftian.
>>
>>172197705
What are you even saying you fucking spamming idiot. By your logic nothing can possibly be Lovecraftian.
Giger read Lovecraft which inspired his work, then him and Ridley and O'Bannon deliberately set out to create a Lovecraftian work.
That other directors and writers have agreed us Lovecraftian.

You are completely mentally ill.
>>
>>172197705
>>172197762
>>172197952
Stfu up you retarded contrarian subhumans
https://lovecraftzine.com/movies/mikes-recommended-lovecraftian-movies/
>>
>>172198272
Are you speaking about this example or something else more specific?
Because you can absolutely capture something well without compromising it's essence as something unknowable or impossible to comprehend. When I say capture well I don't mean reducing it to something explainable and logical. Visual metaphor I think accomplishes it. Incomplete information like blurring, static, or visual "glitching" might be another way.
If you are talking about this example, I think this particular use of "impossible to describe" simply means the boys couldn't describe what they saw. It doesn't mean that particular woodchuck couldn't be shown visually. In this specific case, I think it just meant the woodchuck was so fucked up the boys couldn't make immediate sense of it and got rid of it right away. This isn't the case everytime he uses this phrase though, like with the Colour itself.
>>
Most actual "Lovecraft" movies that try to adapt his work fail miserably.
Its the actual movies that don't but are often inspired by him that succeed.
Like Alien, The Wave, Picnic at Hanging Rock etc
>>
>>172198709
As an addendum, I do see you're talking specifically about the colour, if it annoyed you forget the parts where I'm talking about the woodchuck. I'm at work so I had to skim a bit, sorry
>>
Alien
The thing
In the mouth of madness
Prince of darkness
Possession
Event horizon
The beyond
City of the living dead

All reasonably good movies that can be considered "lovecraftian"
>>
>>172199835

The void
>>
File: Lovecraft Map 2.jpg (1.7 MB, 2765x1844)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>172196509
>>172196649
Adapting his Dream-Quest world seems like such a no-brainer. Fantasy is currently super popular right now, and Lovecraft's stuff would be very fresh compared to the trash that's being made right now. You barely have to write anything, it's already there pre-made.
>>
>>172199835
The endless
>>
Shadow over Innsmouth when make a great film, Rats in the Wall would also make a good film
>>
File: Cthulhu.jpg (107 KB, 1920x1200)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
"Lovecraftian" movies exist although they don't directly happen within the confines of the Lovecraft mythos. The crux of Lovecraftian horror is more than "OH NO, IT'S SO HORRIBLE THAT I CANNOT DESCRIBE IT!!", it's a combination of anxiety and mystery that creates fear, the fear of the unknown and the fear of insignificance/uncertainty.

You could most certainly do justice to either a classic story made my Lovecraft himself (Like the Dunwich horror) or a story set in the Lovecraft world, although not written by him (A colder war, by Charles Stross).

The problem is that in the modern day and modern film making and modern audiances don't favor this type of slowburn, implied stuff that is very heavy on "tell, don't show" and symbolism.

Take "The last Duel" for example, yeah? A nice film, but a film that was made for the world of yester year, so to speak. And normie who went to watch it are still confused about it. While Marvelshit that is full of glitter, swallow storytelling and fast cuts is someshow considered the pinnacle of film making.

In short, in order to Lovecraftian mythos justice, you have to resolt into a style of film making that isn't popular anymore, either by audiances or film makers themselves. And IMO, it's pretty fucking sad.
>>
>>172201198
Not enough courtly politics and incest for the studios still stupidly trying to create another Game of Thrones.
>>
File: 91VClbgHaGL._SL1500_.jpg (239 KB, 1064x1500)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>172189429
>adapted for $100 milion

Kek
>>
Eh yo, if humans are so fucking irrelevant and insignificant and the universe is so infinitely vast, why are all these gods and advanced races of creatures always fucking with human beings on Earth, invading our dreams and creating cults to worship them? Lovecraft should've written a story with no human characters in it whatsoever, just some alien dudes doing alien things on an alien world. That would be dope.
>>
>>172188777
I just don't get why they make so many Lovecraft movies intentionally corny.
>>
>>172201564
I mean, there's some political intrigue with the Zoog's planned invasion of the Cats of Ulthar.

Really I think I'd rather it be a video game than a movie.
>>
>>172188777
I don’t like H.P. Redditcraft
>>
>>172201835
>why are all these gods and advanced races of creatures always fucking with human beings on Earth, invading our dreams and creating cults to worship them?
they're not. it's like if we thought sunflares were somehow the sun trying to speak to us and we create complex systems to try to understand its "language". but the sun is just burning up, it has no idea we exist and no responsibility for the ontological interpretations WE give to its activity
>>
The best Lovecraftian movie is Messiah of Evil and it has nothing to do with any of his stories
>>
File: Hitler.jpg (193 KB, 700x1017)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>172201564
Then don't. Half the reason hollywood is so braindead these days is because it chases trends and doesn't create anything new. Make some fresh and new dream-quest kino and start a new era of lovecraft-smith-hodgson inspired adaptations (Which will honestly be pretty shit, but at least some will be good). Start a new fucking tentpole franchise that will capture the minds of millions instead of boring them with shitty rip-offs of whatever successes you already have.
>>
File: lumiere.webm (2.86 MB, 586x480)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
>>172195899
>>172195954
Maybe it would work if it wasn't any specific color, but instead changed constantly?
>>
File: joao-neto-nyarlathotep.jpg (529 KB, 1920x1836)
529 KB
529 KB JPG
>>172201835
We're not. Earth is just one of many worlds and we're just one of the things here. The Yith see us as only one of a number of possible host bodies and they don't care if they misplace our consciousness when they steal our bodies any more than they do about the weird crustacean things they took over or the beetle people they will one day. Other aliens just see us as either a nuisance, a pest, a possible specimen of study or spare parts. Cthulhu isn't even a god, he's a priest, and he didn't even notice the fishermen were there. They passed through him and he went back to sleep oblivious to their presence. Most of the Lovecraftian "gods" are barely aware of anything, much less humans. The one who created everything is described as "blubbering mindlessly on his throne" and aliens constantly play music to keep him asleep, as if he woke up he would immediately destroy the universe.

The only deity that displays any direct feeling towards humanity is Nyarlathotep, and that's because he's been tasked with destroying Earth. He fucking hates the place and enjoys tormenting us. I always read him as like, what if Satan was both an alien and Nikola Tesla.

Dude genuinely creeps me out.
>>
>>172188777
>H.P. Lovecraft
Ian Banks would be good to but lets face it, they made lovecraft the HV series and I watched several episodes and it was about several very very very boring niggers in a fantasy version of 1950s America where everyone behaved implausibly and it was very difficult to care about what was happening
>>
>>172196294
Yup and it's infuriating because I love his work
>>
File: images (2).jpg (353 KB, 1175x1763)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>172196294
>I haven't seen a Lovecraft article, be it a story influenced by, a game adaptation, or a potential film, where the comment section didn't immediately devolve in to "Lovecraft was a racist" shit where the guys entire influence and back catalogue is apparently a moot point now because of this
Pic related sucked very badly though. Never have niggers been so boring
>>
>>172189429
>The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
That's already been adapted twice. Both are pretty good, the 90s one is more faithful, while the 60s one has Vincent Price.
>>
>>172195899
>>172195954
>>172202628
thing is it's not really a color. they just call it that because they have no idea what other word to use (i.g. it's not a liquid, a gel, a rock or mineral, etc). they don't know what it is so they just call it "the color"

>They had uncovered what seemed to be the side of a large coloured globule imbedded in the substance. The colour, which resembled some of the bands in the meteor’s strange spectrum, was almost impossible to describe; and it was only by analogy that they called it colour at all. Its texture was glossy, and upon tapping it appeared to promise both brittleness and hollowness. One of the professors gave it a smart blow with a hammer, and it burst with a nervous little pop. Nothing was emitted, and all trace of the thing vanished with the puncturing. It left behind a hollow spherical space about three inches across, and all thought it probable that others would be discovered as the enclosing substance wasted away.
>>
>>172202938
YOu will all love this, go and watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7VaYrtSjoE
Also this is Lovecraft but better than Lovecraft
House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson

Also if you love Vincent price and Lovecraft you will like this (A LOT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keEfv-yyBnQ

You will all also enjoy this if you like lovecraft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=033K233GIWs

I am very lonely. I wish you were all here so we could play call of cthulu
>>
File: images.jpg (16 KB, 341x148)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>172202628
Maybe something that changes but it would definitely have to be something more complex than that. Otherwise why wouldn't anyone just say "it's a color that shifts hues constantly"
You have to come up with something that can make the audience believe "Hey this is something that a character is seeing that to them is absolutely not describable.
Maybe idea at different times? Idk.
Another attempt that could be neat is a fractal or escher kind of pattern that's as solid looking as you can get without shifting hues too much
>>
>>172197571
>stoner faggot needs chemicals to see visions
>>
>>172197571
If you draw the attention to demons they will come . Only Christ can protect you.
>>
>>172202938
Yeah it isn't really a color but I think the creative exercise of adapting it to a visual medium is showing something.
The question is what conveys that idea of something indescribable that's most analogous to a color in a movie? God people who've worked on this really didn't put much into it.
>>
>>172194794
>cthulu became a meme like 10 years ago
40 years ago, at very least, probably even longer
>>
>>172188777
>>
File: 1631411729983.jpg (61 KB, 657x698)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>172203511
AHHH NIGGERMAN THE CAPTCHA IS TOO FUCKING HARD, I'M GOING INSANE
>>
>>172189806
Producers are idiots, some fish are freaky as fuck like the sarcastic fringehead and could make for very believable monsters
>>
File: file.png (1.15 MB, 733x761)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>172190917
>>172190867
specify the art style and you'll get a lot better results instead of amorphous blobs, this is in pulp horror style
>>
>>172203115
I'd like to believe that anyone who likes Lovecraft or moreover likes talking about Lovecraft would also read Hodgson, Blackwood, and Machen.
>>
Adapt Dead Space into a film and there you have it
>>
File: IMG_20220806_120021079.jpg (2.62 MB, 4032x3024)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>172203115
I feel you Lovecraft bro, for a while I was the only person I knew who had ever read Lovecraft. Reading the night ocean (though that was mostly Barlow it was still a great piece that moves me) and thinking about not having someone to communicate ideas with but having an outlet for them nonetheless is interesting. I had to lend the collection to people several times before one other person I knew really enjoyed it.
He writes a lot about loneliness and it can be pretty moving if you're feeling lonely yourself. It's a niche set of ideas and a niche style I suppose, but the whole earth is better for it. I'll look at these tonight.
>>172204130
Machen is my favorite, though I haven't read hodgson yet so I'll look into that. Any recs?
>>
>>172201213
glad to see I am not the only one that enjoyed that film
>>
File: 1576043238738.jpg (19 KB, 274x365)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>172204578
>anon's hands suggest slightly less than full Anlgo-Saxon heritage
>I STOOD AGHAST AT THE PERVERTED REFLECTION OF MYSELF IN THE MIRROR, HANDS TURNED TO SLIMY WEBBED APPENDAGES SECRETING A FOUL SMELLING OILY SUBSTANCE STAINING THE CARPET. EYES SHRIVELLED TO LIZARD-LIKE HUSKS I ATTEMPTED TO SCREAM BUT ALL THAT UTTERED FORTH FROM MY CUPPED MAW WAS THE HORRIFIC CRY OF GHAR'LOPEATH. MINE EARS WOULD HAVE BEEN PIERCED IF THEY HAD NOT RECOILED ENTIRELY INTO THE SKULL LEAVING ME DEAFENED CONFUSED WRITHING ON THE FLOOR
>>
>>172197683
he regenerated the wound but went back to sleep instead of destroying earth
boat: 1
cthulhu: 0
>>
File: dunwichjaks.png (176 KB, 1308x749)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
now that the dust has settled wtf was old Whateley's problem?
>>
just read the terrible old man, a short story about 3 thieves trying to rob a mysterious old mans house. burst out laughing when in the middle of desceibing the scene, lovecraft stops and goes AND BY THE WAY, THE THIEVES WERE NOT WHITE. THEY WERE SOME STRANGE FOREIGN AND INCOMPATIBLE STOCK
>>
>>172194989
eh, that wasnt even a lovecraft story
>>
>>172204810
Don't make me post a pic of my hand next to milk. Ancestors been here since 1729. Though my grandmother did have some German in her ...
>MEIN GOTT .... I.... IS ... THAT A JOKE??? MY IRON GERMAN VILL IS AT ODDS WITH MY BRITISH BLOOD ... IM GOING MAAAD
>>
>>172205032
When you wanna live forever, you don't really have problems. Just varying solutions.
I guess you could just say he had too many solutions.
>>
I wanna see the Mound adapted into Hollow Earth kino.
>>
>>172195457
thats what i was referencing lel
>>
>>172205536
Hate to break it to you bud but no one is gonna be referencing the mound. I doubt most lovecraft fans have read that one. The closest you'll get is the snake guys who are a pretty clear reference to Yig in Bloodborne.
>>
>>172205479
he dies in the middle of the story and still tells his grandson to go through with the plan
>>
>>172205682
The Pthumerians are pretty similar to the mound dwellers too.
>>
>>172204578
Based book, anon. He's my favorite too. For Hodgson I'd say start with House on the Borderland, or Boats of the Glenn Carrig (he's got a lot of sea stories but you're gonna want to start with this one), and then his weirdest book is The Night Land but I wouldn't recommend starting with it.
>>
>>172205689
bro im retarded for some reason i thought of Ephraim from The Thing on the doorstep.
Whateley i have no idea dude i dont even know what he got out of it
>>
File: 1578483940850.jpg (43 KB, 329x329)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>172205418
>anon is 10% Old Prussian

When, long ago, the gods created Earth In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.

The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;

Yet were they too remote from humankind. To fill the gap, and join the rest

to Man,

Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.

A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,

Filled it with vice, and called the thing Anon.
>>
File: 1630367200276.jpg (176 KB, 1024x749)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>172205761
Yeah I didnt really think about that. Especially how they manipulate biological things by making the blood, kinda like the people in the Mound make slaves and such. They're one of the few Lovecraftian humanoid precursor races.
>>
>>172189245
Shadow over Innsmouth, probably the best one, doesn't have this. Neither does The Shunned House.
>>
>>172205032
I can't remember was the giant invisible monster the son of Whateley or son of his wife?
>>
File: image-asset.jpg (32 KB, 513x308)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>Non-Euclidean architecture

AHHH I'M GOING INSANE!
>>
>>172206293
Old Weatley fucked his daughter who gave birth to the more humanoid abomination and his brother the invisible monster.
>>
File: 71PRp2XYmHL._AC_SL1200_.jpg (139 KB, 960x1200)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
What makes their race so great?
>>
>>172206395
ah gotcha. based
>>
>>172189551
I like that all his stories are set in space thus him being the father of cosmic horror
>>
>>172206482
they're the closest to us, desu. curious, scientific minded, will take humans along with them
>>
>>172206482
They're basically immortal and use their crazy time-travel body-swapping to amass huge stores of knowledge about the past, present and future.
>>
>>172206528
>Lavinia Whateley is the albino daughter of the wizard Old Whateley. Using her father's incomplete copy of the Necronomicon, she summoned Yog-Sothoth and he impregnated her. Some time later she gave birth to twins, Wilbur Whateley and the Dunwich Horror.

Ok so Old Wheatley is incestual but probably with like a sister or something. Wilbur and the invisible monster is from tentacle sex between his incest spawn and Yog-Sothoth.
>>
>>172194905
nice, pirating it now
>>
he's such a reddit writer
>>
>>172206811
in the book you're led to believe old man whateley is the father because of course, they're countryfolk, and it's why wilbur looked very deformed. but turns out it was yog-sothoth summoned by some ritual. wilbur and his brother were born at the same time, but the invisible monstrosity "looked more like the father than he did.”
though in providence alan moore writes it as not-oldwhateley fucking not-lavinia while he's possessed by yog-sothoth
>>
>>172206811
>ywn have freaky tentacle sex with a cute albino hillbilly witch
>>
File: 1654888832276.jpg (229 KB, 940x1200)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>172206395
>>172206811
>>172206918
I now feel less dumb for not remembering exactly how that shit went lol
I also like how that story assembles the DnD party to defeat the creature though
>>
>>172207058
Isn't it like some crazy Ghostbusters shit at the end? I think one dude brings an elephant rifle, another brings some magic tome, and the third assembled a weird electrical apparatus or chemical sprayer or something.
>>
>>172194901
Minor throwaway stories that he wrote as exercise rely on this. But all his major works describe the monster in detail.
>>
>>172206482
They're basically an entire race of superhumanly intelligent psychics who swap bodies with primitive races whenever the place they're on is dying. Wherever they go they build giant cities and libraries as repositories of knowledge. They swap bodies to study other species, times and cultures. Their original form is unknown, but they've been seen to inhabit those plant-like forms, a beetle species and humans. They've mastered time travel and are basically immortal as they just flee to another body whenever they would be killed.

They aren't inherently evil as most mythos creatures are portrayed, and the person swapped with them is treated with reverence and love. While swapped you're offered access to all the knowledge of their library when you return, so typically the expectation is when you return to your own body you'll have access to new technologies and likely return quite rich as typically the Yith explores your world and invents new tech in your time using your body to acquire the wealth for the expedition.
>>
>>172206395
he didn't fuck his daughter (as far as we know), he pimped her to Yog Soggoth
>>
The Call of Cthulhu
directed by Dennis Villeneuve
>>
>>172207217
>“I dun’t keer what folks think—ef Lavinny’s boy looked like his pa, he wouldn’t look like nothin’ ye expeck. Ye needn’t think the only folks is the folks hereabaouts. Lavinny’s read some, an’ has seed some things the most o’ ye only tell abaout. I calc’late her man is as good a husban’ as ye kin find this side of Aylesbury; an’ ef ye knowed as much abaout the hills as I dew, ye wouldn’t ast no better church weddin’ nor her’n. Let me tell ye suthin’—some day yew folks’ll hear a child o’ Lavinny’s a-callin’ its father’s name on the top o’ Sentinel Hill!”
>>
I don't think True Detective was anything even the most remotely close to easy, anon. Season One; of course.
>>
>>172207167
yes but the rifle did nothing and they had special powder to make the monster visible
>>
Black Mountainside is the best lovecraftian movie despite or maybe because it isn't an adaptation of one of his stories.
>>
>>172207251
desu I could see him doing something else, something that focuses more on architecture than creatures, like "the temple" or "the haunter in the dark"
>>
>>172207342
But he only does futuristic brutalist architecture anon. Universes as different as Dune and Blade Runner look interchangeable with Villeneuve. I like him but concept art isn't the strongest part of his work.
>>
>>172207185
Except the part where they have to do a mass migration forward, wouldn't that basically be genocide? Unless they leave some of the species they take over left. They're possessing at least hundreds of some alien race's bodies, swapping with them, then leaving them to die in their original bodies. It's really fucked up.
>>
>>172207185
>you'll have access to new technologies
they remove the memories of people they switch bodies with so no new technologies
>and likely return quite rich
main character didn't become rich, he lost his job and people thought he has become insane
>>
>>172207307
Talentless bunch saw The Thing and thought mediocrity can compete.
>>
I always liked the short story "The Other Gods", about a priestly prophet and his student climbing the equivalent of Mount Olympus hoping to spy on their anthropomorphic gods, only for him to witness that the gods have their own religious practices... they worship something else, something unknown and forbidden to men. Like religion is a pyramid scheme and he's on the bottom rung. Then he gets caught and sucked up into a portal and is never heard from again. His student, like Indiana Jones at the end of Raiders, deliberately refuses to climb to the top and look and only hears his master's awe and terror as he's whisked away.
>>
File: BlackRock.jpg (77 KB, 940x529)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>172188777
Imagine this, Black Rock would happily give you 200 mil to adapt one of Lovecraft's story of your choosing, no matter how controversial, however, you gotta have the cast all being Black, and the setting to be changed to Black culture. Which one would you do?
>>
>>172195552
What did he do this time? Tried to contact Azathoth?
>>
>>172207840
That's easy, Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family

The original story is about an ugly fucker discovering he's a descendant of a nasty fucker who went to Africa, found a tribe of intelligent apes and "married" their ape God. He douses himself in gasoline and kills himself upon realizing the reason he and his ancestors all look so ugly is because they descend from gorillas. All that's changed is now all the characters are black.

Give me my money, fuck you blackrock. I'm making this with unknowns for less than a million so I can walk off with the rest of the budget.
>>
File: 19728_0.jpg (411 KB, 1166x1440)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
>>172207840
The Dunwich horror
>The village is truly a negro hell, full of dumb inbred former field niggers and their descendants.
>Old man Whateley is also like this but interested in the occult and speaks in an extremely retarded ebonic dialect that is thicker than the rest of Dunwich and has his roots in Haiti or Liberia.
>Lavinia is a hideous Albino (true to the source material) and Wilbur is a borderline deformed mixed race mystery meat.
>Professor Armitage and his colleagues are a sophisticated scholars of a house nigger descent (light skins) that don't speak in ebonics at all.
>The dunwich horror itself is the same shoggoth abomination but any possible human features are overtly exaggerated with an apelike nose, dead eyes and massive lips.
>>172208497
This is also a good choice.
>>
>>172202428
Love that movie.

>>172203115
Based. Have you seen The Stone Tape?
https://youtu.be/vtvJWKaDI9s

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.