[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1590539107152.jpg (206 KB, 960x1440)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>It's not supposed to make sense, just enjoy the atmosphere!
PTA is a hack
>>
what the fuck was this even
>>
>>149247698
feet
>>
What are these types of movie called? Where the protagonist has no real impact on the story and just kind of muddles through, like The Big Lebowski.
>>
>>149247780
shitty movies. Also, TBL had some soul and the cast was good, whereas Walking's performance hinges on good direction more than anybody else. When he has good direction he's great, when he hasn't he's shit
>>
>>149247780
Vonnegutian
>>
>>149247698
More like Incoherent Vice
>>
>>149247780
>DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>149247698
>>149247723
>>149247739
>>149247780
>>149247847
>>149247860
>>149247864
>>149247890
/filtered/
>>
>>149247780
Dunno but under the silver lake is the best one of the lot besides the first 10 minutes.
>>
File: INHERENTVICE-actors.png (448 KB, 738x754)
448 KB
448 KB PNG
>>149247698
>>
>>149247698
>People love Big Hackowski
>Shit on Inherent Vice
get filtered
Also read everything by Pynchon and convert to /lit/
>>
>>149247698
The only part that was overly nonsensical to me was Bigfoot and the plate of weed/speaking at the same time.. I haven’t figured that out yet. The rest is just weird dialogue but the plot is possible to follow (after 2 or 3 viewings)
>>
>>149247986
Big Lebowski if funny, Inherent Vice isn't, simple as
>>
>>149247947
I did enjoy that one as well. Any others you can think of besides the three mentioned ITT?
>>
>>149247977
>one shot at life
>born Catholic

I'm never going to make it in Hollywood am I?
>>
>>149248054
>>born Catholic
theres no such thing as being born catholic
>>
>>149248004
The movie is an gigantic weed dream.. As someone that lived as a weed burnout for many years, Inherent Vice is one of the best depictions of drug induced hysteria I've ever seen.

It's definitely not for everyone.. But he set out to do something in particular with the film and did it well.
>>
>>149248114
I too was a dude weed lmao from like 16 to 25, maybe that’s why I don’t hate it
>>
>>149248092
>what is baptism
>>
>>149247915
>MOOOOM COME LOOK I POSTED IT AGAIN
>>
>>149248021
I wish. Alice in Wonderland maybe? They all seem to stem from going down the rabbit hole and seeing all the craziness go on because of a simple question.
>>
I’ve watched this film five times and read the plot summaries on IMDB and Wikipedia and still have no fucking clue what is going on
>>
>>149247977
is there a bot doing these?
>>
>>149248565
You aren't born catholic in the way you're born a jew
>>
>>149247698
what? you didn't get the movie? are you dumb?
>>
>>149248692
what?
>>
>>149248744
Judaism is an ethno-religion, Catholicism is just a religion. You can DNA test for one but not the other.
>>
>>149248020
Crying of Lot 49 is funny
>>
PYNCHED
>>
>>149248876
all his books are funny
but only half are great (Crying lot of 49, V, Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon)
>>
>>149248929
That's fair, but I'd toss in Against the Day as well
>>
>>149247698
It's literally the most coherent and accessible Pynchon novel
wait to you see his other shit
>>
>>149248929
>Crying lot of 49,
I see this get posted a lot. Can i get a qrd on what makes it good? I looked for an audiobook of it but it wasnt on the site.
I like to listen to booka when i drive.
>>
Oh I'm the Eagle of Tooting,
Bombing and shooting,
And nobody can bring me down!
Old Kaiser Bill, you're over the hill,
Cause I'm comin' into your home town!
Tell all the fräuleins and mademoiselles
To keep a light in the window for me...
Cause I'm the Eagle of Tooting, just root-toot-tooting.
And flyin' on to victo-ree!
>>
>>149248929
Against the Day is brilliant though
>>
>>149249004
like most Pynchon books, it's hilarious, well written and makes quite profound observations on the world, in the Crying Lot of 49's case being about the control of means of communication and the futility in searching for the truth
>>
>>149248929
>Not V
filtered
>>
>>149247698
You got filtered by Pynchon. Watch more films, the concept of atmosphere over strict logic is nothing new. Stop watching capeshit.
>>
Hack kino
>>
>>149249110
V was included dumb cunt
>>
Hundreds of unimportant characters, dozens of instances of pedophilia, unending passages that ramble on and on with no actions or information of consequence, drug and sexual organ obsessions, and fecal matter galore! If all of these sound like what you enjoy in literature, then this is the book for you. While a great master of vocabulary, Pynchon just doesn't know when to quit. It seems that any time there is any hint that the story might be progressing, Pynchon has to go off on a barely related tangent for ten or twenty pages, rarely returning to or referencing this material again. While Laurance Sterne (The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman) managed to employ "the tangent" with aplomb, Pynchon takes them to such excess that I can't help but say he is a literary glutton, prone to verbose over-indulgence.

When I start a book, I finish it. It has taken me over a year and a half to get through this book because every time I read a little bit, I dislike it so much that I end up picking up another book to read instead. I'm well aware that I am bucking the trend by not liking this book, but it seems that the high ratings are in part due to pseudo-intellectuals reveling in the knowledge that they 'get it' and the rest of us just don't. While I do admit that Pynchon managed to write a very dense (as in "packed to the brim with information"), cryptic, and nigh unfathomable tome, those attributes are overwhelmed by the plodding narrative, explicit perversion (I know, that is a personal, rather than technical, fault), and lack of character development (I didn't learn enough about the hordes of characters to care about any single one of them). The intelligentsia may turn up their noses at my [obviously] inferior taste and comprehension, but nonetheless, I stand by my opinion. Gravity's Rainbow is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read
>>
Imagine a book in which you can't understand what the hell any of the characters are thinking. You don't know who the characters are, they are rarely developed (or, if so, the developments are so sudden that it's almost nonsensical), you don't know why they are going to the places they're going to, you don't know why this character is fucking that character--none of it makes any sense. The narrator never tells you anything that'll give you an idea of why he's telling his story the way he is. Further imagine that, adding to the confusion, there are no line breaks between completely different scenes; so suddenly they'll be in a completely different time and place and unless you're paying the closest of attention, you won't notice it. It's filled with unfunny, uncreative puns, the "plot" (if there is one) makes little sense--rarely is it clear if the scene you're reading has any significance. Usually, the significance is symbolic at best. Characters are introduced, then dropped, and you'll never know why their behavior was so nonsensical. It's like reading a book in which every character is on drugs.

After trying to read Virginia Woolf's awful "Mrs. Dalloway" (for the same class), I never thought I'd be more confused by a book. This book proved me wrong. If you're a fan of that, you may enjoy this. Myself, I find modernism unbearable.

I'll admit that there are some mildly funny parts, and I'm sure that a fan of this book will simply tell me that I'm "not getting it," or that I'm not reading carefully enough. That may be true, but I shouldn't have to reread every fucking page of this book five or six times to understand what the fuck is going on or why any characters are behaving the way they do. If I could just understand the characters, it would make all the difference. But none of the characters in this book make any freaking sense!

I couldn't believe it when I read, in another review, that this is one of Pynchon's more "approachable" books
>>
>>149248021
the long goodbye, chinatown, might be more
>>
>based on the novel by Thomas Pynchon
I found the problem, guys
>>
What a piece of shit. Who knows what pushed me through this book all the way to the end. I nearly stopped several times due to my mind constantly wondering and my care level being somewhere between a remake of Hudson Hawk and the toilet.

I wasn't going to read this till the movie trailer got me. It looked awesome. Phoenix looked like a noir Cheech & Chong. A must watch...in the theater......on opening night. Quick, get me the book.

The book started off fun and a little weird then shifted to pointless and ungroovy. I admit there were some classic lines sprinkled throughout which should have given me more than the half smile it produced. When you find a Skittle in a chunk of Bubble Yum on the bottom of your shoe, it's real hard to want to taste the rainbow.

Hated the book. Will wait for the movie to play on FX or Redbox it if I hear it's got some good boobie action
>>
>>149248004
bigfoot played by all the rules and ends up worse than he started. doc comes out pretty good, despite the fact he didn't even seem to know there were rules. bigfoot kicks in his door and eats the weed thinking it will help. it doesn't. he leaves.
>>
>>149249234
>Further imagine that, adding to the confusion, there are no line breaks between completely different scenes; so suddenly they'll be in a completely different time and place and unless you're paying the closest of attention, you won't notice it.
This is one of my favorite things about Ruggles.
>>
I love reading one star reviews of Pynchon novels
>>
>>149248666
You didn’t watch it five times. But nice bait here’s your (You)
>>
>>149248666
in the 70s the cia was running drugs. the official story is they were doing it to arm revolutionaries in neighboring communist sympathizing countries. the actual reasons, according to the book/movie, was to kickstart the hard drug industry in the united states to inoculate the american poor against communist sentiment. MK-ULTRA was also a part of this, but focused on the rich, shown where "the FBI" kidnapped wolfmann (the housing developer), stuffed him in a rehab facility, and fed him drugs until he gave up his KGB handler, as "the FBI" was convinced no one would just reject capitalism on their own, especially not one of the elite.

doc starts off eating around the edge of all of "the FBI's" anti-communist operations, but as attempts to kill him keep failing, he gets pulled deeper and deeper, and in the end is able to pull himself and a few people he gives a shit about, out. but ultimately every american ideal is killed and no one could stop it, as the were inherent vice.
>>
>>149249396
>bigfoot played by all the rules
Uhh doesn’t he plant drugs on Doc
>>
>>149249396
>bigfoot kicks in his door and eats the weed thinking it will help. it doesn't. he leaves.
Yeah but why did they say multiple sentences at the exact same time. It’s like they were about to reveal some split personality thing and they were the same person
>>
>>149249773
planting evidence isn't against the rules for police
>>
Why so many fags in this thread? Inherent Vice is a great film, funny and it makes perfect sense. If you couldn’t follow the plot you’re an idiot.
>>
>>149247698
It did make sense though. But it's shot from the first person perspective of a drug addict that's trying to solve a big mystery, and who really has no idea what he's doing half the time.
>>
>>149248666
Are you actually mentally retarded?
>>
>>149247780
I would say this film wishes to be like the big lebowski and fails miserably.
>>
>>149250214
bruh, you just posted cringe
>>
>>149249610
Sounds kino.
>>
>>149250797
there are probably over a dozen memorable quotes from big lebowski. What are some from Inherent Vice? Didnt have memorable characters either.
>>
>>149247915
Explain the movie.
>>
>>149250206
Explain the plot of the movie.
>>
>>149250176
its a "secret history of LA" movie that deals with the cia's actions during the 70s, that slipped passed the cia's censors.
>>
>>149248666
If doc wasn't constantly high it would be simple
>>
>>149250176
>>149251571
>>
>>149249801
because bigfoot knew doc well enough to know how he'd react, what he'd say, when he say it, etc. he leaves because he realizes there's no deep mystery to doc, nothing to learn, no secrets. he's just a pothead.
>>
MOTO
PE
NE
KE
KU
>>
>>149250176
Honestly? Because it kept trying to be funny and i didnt laugh a single time. Made me not like the movie. If it was just the plot with the zany characters i would probably have liked it but it tried too hard to be humorous and just came off as desperate. Also id rather a different lead than walking fenix
>>
>>149251589
if doc wasn't constantly high he would have never gotten involved in the first place
>>
>keep hearing people say the movie is hard to understand
>watch the movie, understand it just fine
>figure they must all be talking about some deeper message that's flying completely over my head
>years later find out that no, those people are actually talking about the surface-level plot
This is what American Cinema has done to people. They can no longer follow along with any plot where the character doesn't explain things directly to an audience-expy, or even directly to the camera.
>>
>>149251743
prove how super smart you are and give a brief synopsis of the "surface-level plot."
>>
>>149251813
>thinking you can get me to spoonfeed that easily
lmao
>>
>>149248929
literally the most correct opinion I've ever read on 4channel
>>
>>149251743
yeah it's literally the most accessible novel by Pynchon
it's like when people say Mulholland Drive doesn't make sense. how fucking dumb can you be
>>
>>149247780
dishonest/mcdonald's arthouse
>>
>>149247698
filtered brainlet
>>
>>149251958
the plot of the movie has already been posted in this thread. so you've proven you don't know it and you can't read.
>>
>>149252809
I prefer my opinion to yours.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.