[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

what went wrong?
>>
>>145070151
The Jews ran out of time. They had to accelerate to trigger the next (real or simulated) Jewish exodus.

>>>/his/10242645
>>
i have a stranger thing to show you rofl
>>
It's a one-trick pony of "remember that thing?" that keeps having to one-up itself
>>
File: 1610349724553.jpg (49 KB, 875x494)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>145070151
nothing. The first season is genuinely good. Just makes you feel warm inside. The nostalgia baiting definitely has something to do with it. The music is great and that one track "kids" just makes me want to cry it's so good to hear. There's something perfectly nostalgic and upbeat about it. The story was great and the characters were likable, at least most of the times. Season 2 was just a let down to me. Didn't really continue in a good way and Eleven acting more normal just didn't feel right to me. Never bothered watching season 3, but season 1 is still good. It's a good example of how a relatively simple and even almost cliche setting/story can always be done good if done well.
>>
>>145070151
Millie looks like a middle aged roasty now.
>>
>>145070362
>be done good if done well
*be good if done well
>>
>>145070362
Completely agree with this

Season 1 was incredible. Yeah it was derivative but so what, some of the best things are.

Season 2 was trash. It never should have been made. It was just the same thing again, the spooky goings on now had a bit of a monster of the week, "this time the gang face their toughest challenge yet" feel rather than the ethereal "I'll always remember that magical summer" feel of season one.
It's like the showrunners managed to capture everything great about 1980s Stephen king middle America but they only watched the movies, they never experienced it themselves and so they ran out of ideas after that one season.

I remember those nights as summer drew to a close and it started to get a little chilly. When I used to ride my bike with my friends in the woods, find glowworms, get chased off by older kids etc. Those times have a dreamlike quality as you grow up and you attach this carefree sense of adventure to them. That's what stranger things tapped into, and that's what the showrunners didn't understand.

Tl;Dr if they wanted to carry it on it should have been an anthology, one season was enough
>>
File: 1609828563073.jpg (300 KB, 1280x1707)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>145070151
Not enough Eleven. When Eleven isn't on screen, the other characters should be asking "Where's Eleven?"
>>
>>145070151
Got too greedy and couldn't stop after S1.
>>
>>145070151
Too few redheads. The show needs more redheads.
>>
season 1 was the shows suspenseful horror
season 2 was the shows action horror
season 3 was the shows slasher teen bop horror

personally i'm hoping for season 4 for full 80s war horror with hopper going full rambo mode somehow
>>
The show suffered from a bad case of "the writers read the forums".

GoT and Sherlock had the same disease. It means after a while they start to take the viewpoints of literal whos seriously and fight for that "yasss!" moment.

For example- "justice for Barb"

You know what fuck Barb. In the 1980s characters like Barb existed to get fucked over in the way she did and nobody cared. She wasn't the main character, she wasn't eye candy, she was a character made to suffer to give the story some gravitas. Nobody cared about her in universe because that's literally her characterisation- the frumpy piece of shit nobody cares about.

It was only after Tumblr decided she was their self insert that the writers decided she was relevant and needed some kind of resolution.
>>
>>145070362
>one track "kids" just makes me want to cry it's so good to hear.
Faggot, go back to sucking dicks.
>>
>>145071032
Barb was a straight up bitch to everyone including nancy
>>
>>145070866
why can't my brain decide if she's ugly or not
>>
File: 1601312702266.webm (762 KB, 1920x800)
762 KB
762 KB WEBM
>>145071053
>>
>>145070151
S1 was a pretty good homage to 80s shit. S2, while not as good as S1, added the likeable Bob, and the Dustin/Steve dynamic. S3 just went full clownshoes, turned everything into a cartoon, and Flanderized all the characters.
>>
>>145070763
Someone needs to tell that bitch that she's nowhere near as cute as she clearly thinks she is.
>>
>>145070151
seems like they listened to the profoundly retarded netflix execs and leaned into the 80's throwback thing, prioritizing homage as an end itself rather than as a way to communicate an original idea
season 3 is the epitome of this, it's just an 8 hour long pg-13 action adventure movie, with a half-hearted Alien ripoff thrown in. it's more sad than anything, looking back at the 1st season that had so much heart and a surprisingly distinct aesthetic, especially in the score
>>
>>145071193
I and most of the world think she's incredibly cute. Maybe it's you who is wrong?
>>
i didnt even like S1, it was ok
>>
>>145070151
The Duffer bros clearly had one solid idea for a whole season, and were forced by Netflix and greed to drag it out for three more. It's like what happened to Neil Blomkamp.
>>
>>145071278
>most of the world think she's incredibly cute

(citation needed)
>>
>>145071138
season 2 also had paul reiser giving 110%
>>
>>145071330
Supposedly, they've got two more seasons in them.
>>
File: aghast.jpg (44 KB, 640x627)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>145071138
I actually liked 2 just as much as 1. Besides that one episode it still maintained the same tone and atmosphere of the 1st season so it just felt like it was a proper continuation of the story.
Season 3 didn't even feel like the same show.
>>
>>145071222
Yeah the score was excellent and actually very unique in comparison to the media the show is derivative of. The synthwave managed to convey the era it's set whilst still sounding modern, as well as hitting the balance between sinister and magical perfectly
>>
>>145070151
>what went wrong?
>Let's make a show about kids in the 80s.
>Let's be typical arrogant show-runners and take over a year between 8 episode seasons instead of trying to hurry it up
>Oh no, they all got too old and it's weird now
I mean, at least think this shit through and make a set of two or three seasons made within like 6 months then end it without everyone suddenly looking 20 while pretending they are only a year older. (There were other reasons it failed, but I can't get past this basic fuck up)
>>
>>145071365
Totally forgot that he was on the show. I personally think that they should figure out a way to get Sigourney Weaver or Dan Aykroyd on the show.
>>
>>145070866
That's not even a redhead
>>
>>145071479
>oh no they aged
so fucking what? its tv
>>
>>145071479
People always go on about the kids aging but there's nothing stopping them from just putting a timeskip in the next season to match the characters to the actors' ages. They'd all be highschool sophomores by now right? Just go with that.
>>
>>145071479
They've got an excuse to do a timeskip. Didn't S3 end with Mike's family moving out of not-Castle Rock?
>>
>>145070866
Beautiful. I wanna wife her and plunder her holes like it has buried pirate treasure
>>
>>145071330
Fuck bros why didn't they just make it a fucking anthology and do something completely different but in a similar style with some vague links.

>Weird science style kids accidentally build a working robot, turns out they used leftover secret government parts

>Flatliners style renegade college students push the boundaries of morality in an attempt to reach the top of their scientific field

>Goonies style bored kids go hunting for treasure

So much wasted potential
>>
>>145071551
>>145071590
But then they lose the setting. The fact that it's a very specific moment of the 80s is a huge part of the tone of the show. It's not just mid 80s. It's not just young kids. It is specifically young kids in the mid 80s. The show starts to lose its feeling when that combination is messed with. Yes, there are other issues, as i said, but you have to plan well when this theme is so central to a show.
>>
>>145071590
It was Will's family actually, plus Eleven. Just have a timeskip showing them settled into their new town a year or two later and there's no problems.
The oldest one I think is Lucas' actor but hes only like 19, and it's not like 19 year olds haven't been playing highschoolers for all of film history anyway.
>>
>>145071651
because the kids became the stars and people wanted more of them not wacky 80s adventures
>>
>>145071697
But the kids aren't even that good, they're literally just competent. That's the best thing you can say about them- they're not Jake Lloyd tier shit like so many child actors
>>
post that one gif of millie.......
you know.... THE ONE....
>>
>>145071651
I like that idea, but unfortunately, with the loose ends they left the end of S1 with, people would have freaked out if they didn't continue. It would have been Halloween 3 all over again.
>>
File: zoomers.jpg (630 KB, 1125x1399)
630 KB
630 KB JPG
>>145071669
It's not like they're running out of time in the '80s though, the last season was just 1985. And yeah I agree that a big part of the charm was that Goonies feel of kids doing kid shit in the 80s, but there's a lot of famous 80s movies about teenagers doing teenager shit they can ape just as successfully.
>>
>>145071669
I wonder what it is with that particular decade. Even if you were to set it in the 70s or 90s, you would lose that comfiness.
>>
>>145071697
Then have the same cast play different characters in other settings, AHS style.

You're not seriously telling me people actually like the characters "generic middle America boy" "quiet mysterious girl" "jealous black kid" and "ugly comic relief"?
>>
>>145071878
Clearly, they do.
>>
>>145071878
>You're not seriously telling me people actually like the characters "generic middle America boy" "quiet mysterious girl" "jealous black kid" and "ugly comic relief"?
Yes, why not? Not every character has to be ultra deeply layered and complex. Basic archetypes played well can be just appealing, especially for a show that's meant to be one big callback to old Amblin movies.
>>
>>145071878
none of these people have the rage to pull off ahs style character switching
and that's insulting the st cast not complimenting ahs
>>
>>145072058
*range
>>
>>145071850
So much kino came from then. It was the last decade of unashamed simple fantasy, before a weird kind of over-self-awareness began, but the first decade to have a lot of the things we recognize as a pop culture. The 70s and before feel like made up historical settings, and the 90s and after feel cynical and trying too hard. Maybe I'm not explaining it right, but it was the last of an era and the first of an era, and you can't really replicate that transitional moment.
>>
>>145071999
Why not just do the same thing in another setting though. Just because you like a character doesn't mean you need to see more of them. Do you think we need Queequeg: the next adventure? Or Catch 23: Yossarians adventures in Rhode Island?
>>
>>145072058
Sad but true
>>
>>145072120
For a while, I listened to a pocast called 30/20/10, which catalogued what was happening 30, 20, and 10 years ago from the date of that episode being uploaded. That show convinced me that if I had been around and cognizant in the 80s, I would have basically lived at the movie theater. There was kino being released basically every week, in every genre.
>>
>>145070151
it was successful so they milked it dry. regular degular corporate shit.
>>
>>145072153
Because people like these characters and want to see more of them? Eleven in particular has become really big in pop culture, even if she's a simplistic character, people want to see more of her, and Hopper, and Steve and so on. Giving the audience what they want isn't really a bad thing.
>>
>>145072153
>why do tv shows with multiple seasons feature the same characters and settings?
the more you talk the less i understand
>>
File: Millie Bobby Brown 5.jpg (149 KB, 1440x1800)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>Still no scene of Nancy giving 11 & Max a makeover with them all trying on cute outfits.

Why watch?
>>
>>145071850
70s is grim and distressing, because American culture was basically stagnant. Post-Watergate, end of Vietnam, two oil crises, economic malaise. Aside from the bicentennial, it was nothing but everyone just coping with shit being bad and the era of endless prosperity ending. The 80s were a period of renewed Americana, the start of the Hollywood blockbuster (mainly thanks to Spielberg and co.), which in turn impacted television and children's culture, and retrospectively being the last decade before home computers and the Internet started becoming a thing in the 90s, so it was nearing the end of kids playing outside without fear of kidnappers and rapists.
>>
>>145071526
>so fucking what?
It doesn't work anymore when they're older, retard.
>>
>>145072058
I think some of them do. The only ones I don't have faith in are Mike's actor and Dustin's actor. For the most part none of them are really in much though besides Finn Wolfhard and Millie Bobby Brown, so it's hard to say how Noah Schnapp or the black one might do.
>>
>>145072259
The output was also something we have never seen. Some periods come close but 84-85 alone just shotgunned out so many amazing films, most of them being some people throwing together an idea and running with it. It was before movies took 4 years to make and release.
>>
>>145072319
Yes and no. TV audiences are fickle, they want more and more until they've had way too much then they say "fuck I'm sick of these assholes"
>>
why do these stupid threads always stay up?
>>
>>145072324
>still no scene of Nancy teaching 11 how to masturbate
wtf are these writers waiting for?
>>
File: Millie Bobby Brown 2.webm (1.37 MB, 780x1400)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB WEBM
>>145071775

There's so many!
>>
>>145072497
>they want more and more until they've had way too much then they say "fuck I'm sick of these assholes"
And then the studio moves on. Until then though, the audience gets what they want, and the studio gets what they want. Everybody's happy.
>>
The whole show had like 3 or 4 good episodes all in the 1st season.
>>
>>145072503
>Discussing TV and film
>On the TV and film board

Gee I dunno anon, why not make another cope/seethe/dilate/trump/tranny thread?

For the record we need the actual discussion in this thread because there's a real risk of it devolving into a pedo-fest.
>>
>>145072417
I keep telling myself that we're in the modern equivalent to the 70s, and that we're just on the verge of swinging back around to the optimistic 80s any time, but then I realize that I've been telling myself that for the better part of a decade now, and if anything, things just seem to be getting worse. It's almost like things are being artificially kept this way.
>>
File: 6985416584.jpg (23 KB, 500x441)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>145072596
you're weird
>>
File: 1603365035625.jpg (134 KB, 1125x1053)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>145072557
Except me anon. I'm not happy.
>>
File: hop&el.png (394 KB, 750x562)
394 KB
394 KB PNG
>>145072685
Well I am, I still enjoy the show and the characters even if the quality is very clearly declining. And they say they plan to end it at season 5 so it'll all be over soon anyway.
>>
>>145072635
Basically. We're permanently stuck in the 70s, and corps and consumers just want 90s nostalgia pandering, leaving the 80s out of the equation. (((They))) don't want to bring back the 80s, even though literally everyone would be happier.
>>
>>145072813
>Wanting your show to fade into mediocrity rather than being great forever
Guess it's true what they say, you either die a hero....
>>
List for me all the 80s blockbuster kino you can. I think I want to go on a bender.
>>
>>145073166
Blockbuster or stranger things esque?

Strangerthings-core would be
>Goonies
>Stand by me
>Weird science
>Flight of the navigator
>ET
>>
>>145073341
Anything. I've already got Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, The Outsiders, Batman, Scarface, The Karate Kid, and a few more on the list already. I just want to inject the 80s into my veins.
>>
>>145073166
>I think I want to go on a bender.
Do not do this. This is a path to being equal parts depressed and horrified at how the future turned out. When you return from this bender you will realize what we all gave up.
>>
>>145073540
But I want to experience true kino
>>
>>145073166
In no particular order:

Flash Gordon
Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
ET
The Thing
Friday the 13th 1-8
Nightmare on Elm Street 1-5
Return of the Living Dead 1 and 2
Child's Play
Evil Dead 1 and 2
Day of the Dead
Halloween 2 and 3 (fuck 4 and 5)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Dark Crystal
Labyrinth
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Princess Bride
Terminator
Blade Runner
Dune
Vacation
Christmas Vacation
Road Warrior
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Godzilla '84
Godzilla vs Biollante
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Back to the Future trilogy
Creepshow
American Werewolf in London
Blues Brothers
Reanimator
Ghostbusters 1 and 2
Goonies
The Star Trek movies
Weird Science
Full Metal Jacket
The Shining
The Secret of Nimh
The Land Before Time
An American Tail
The Fox and the Hound
Escape From New York
Big Trouble in Little China
They Live
Predator
Aliens
Robocop
Die Hard
Gremlins
Indiana Jones 1, 2, and 3
The Gate
The Blob
The Fly
Monster Squad
Critters
Stand By Me
The Black Cauldron
Twilight Zone: The Movie
Bloodsport
The Running Man
Commando
the Rocky movies
Flight of the Navigator
Spaceballs
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
Beetlejuice
Batman
Poltergeist

There's way more, but I'm just stream of consciousness typing these out, and I'm tired of doing it.
>>
>>145075775
And there was so much more than that too. It's insane how they managed to cram so much kino into such a short timeframe, and how we've never been able to accomplish such a feat again.
>>
I desperately want to ___Finn Wolfhard
>>
>>145076133
Kill?
Me too.
>>
>>145070151
Whatever went wrong can only be described in nuance. The latter seasons had all of the elements of the first that made it great that execs could write down on paper. But the story, its telling and the novelty of the music and aesthetics were completely gone. They were just money grinders using the first season as fuel.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.