[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tv/ - Television & Film

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: star_trek_discovery_cast.jpg (316 KB, 1920x1280)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
how do i explain to my sister that star trek is NOT like harry potter? i made fun of her taste for being completely fictional and logical. she then brings up star trek and i actually have to explain to her why its very different and based on logic and science, you actually have to have a high IQ to understand it. my family keeps laughing at me and saying im taking it so seriously. how do i make them see?
>>
File: w1sr405lfszlfn8zsash.png (340 KB, 800x450)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
>>145069777
>fictional and logical
i meant illogical
>>
Work on yourself both mentally and physically. Don’t worry about what your family thinks so much, passion is not a bad thing.
>>
>>145069808
Tilly is very Hairy Pooter
>>
>>145069777
You can explain it by taking your meds
>>
>>145070754
you take that back you slivering mudblood!
>>
File: lipless-crankbait.jpg (54 KB, 788x578)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>145069777
I'll enjoy this thread
>>
File: weakbait.png (52 KB, 687x688)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
ok OP
>>
>>145069777
>Star Trek based on logic and science
OP, I like most things Star Trek, too, except the new stuff, of course.. but it's not really 'science fiction', it's 'science fantasy'. It gets many of it's ideas from the sciences, but there has been precious little in the way of real actual 'science fiction' since the 1950's. It's imaginative, and it's logically consistent within the realm of it's own reality, and who knows, maybe some day we'll have some of the things you see In Star Trek, but not right now.
What you can tell your sister, though, is that Star Trek, since the original series, was really about socio-political issues, moral issues, and ethical issues. The futuristic nature of it is just a backdrop for the stories and what they're trying to convey to the audience. The effects and space travel are there to enable the story itself.
Whereas I liked the Harry Potter movies too, I'm not sure you can say the same about them. They're just mainly fun and engaging and silly, like Doctor Who, and it slips in a message or two along the way.
>>
>>145073983
You were doing okay there for the first sentence, then you just had to show everyone your /pol/ ass, didn't you? Please fuck off back there with that shit.
>>
File: commie trek.png (491 KB, 502x768)
491 KB
491 KB PNG
>>145074305
>>
>>145074272
No. There's a line between sci-fi and fantasy and it's clear logic. You can't set down rules and then just depend on vague hand-wavey bullshit to ignore all of it. "All active dilitihium in the galaxy exploded, but inert dilithium was okay, and somehow it's rare now... also here's a whole planet made out of it." I'm retarded, I admit that, but that doesn't even make sense to me.
>>
>>145074376
YOU HAVE TO GO BACK: >>>/pol/ >>>/r9k/ (same difference)
faggot
>>
>>145074401
Did you forget to take your schizo meds today or something? Whatever the fuck it is you just said makes zero sense.
>>
>>145074401
>You can't
Yes you can
>>
>>145069777
you sound like a fucking retard
>>
File: islam.jpg (129 KB, 1080x1080)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>145075073

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.