[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: map-china.png (328 KB, 1275x1275)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
Will I struggle getting a job teaching English in China if I don't look stereotypically "white"? For reference, I'm half-Chinese, half-German, but other people sometimes tell me I don't really look white. Most commonly people tell me I look mixed, but also that I look Latino or Pacific Islander. Other than that, I'm from a native English speaking country, well-spoken, degree from a prestigious university. Will this hurt my chances at getting hired? I heard that racism is a real issue.
>>
Stop going in sun
>>
>>2394758
In general your odds of finding a job in China are much higher if you're half-Chinese and can speak the language, however, for teaching English it's somewhat of a disadvantage since schools and parents prefer someone who looks the part, i.e. stereotypical white European.
>>
>>2394808
meh. This stereotype is quickly dying now.
>mfw i lost my job cause my boss replaced the expats with filipino teachers
it hurts bros....
>>
>>2394758
Post JET interview purgatory fucking sucks bros.
>>
>>2394815
are the scum of the earth
>>
>>2394758
Why the hell would you want to teach English in China? Get qualified and teach in a better country.
>>
>>2394987
>better country
Such as? I don't want to live in the Middle East and Japan/Korea is shit because of all the retarded anime/K-pop fans who are so desperate to live there that they're willing to work for peanuts. Also, I like Three Kingdoms and all that kind of stuff.
>>
>>2394990
>retarded anime/K-pop fans who are so desperate to live there that they're willing to work for peanuts

This seems like an exaggerated problem, particularly if you have a degree from a prestigious university (in a prestigious subject right) and could teach at a collegiate level and not just ABCs to kindergartners.
>>
>>2394992
Sure, it's from a prestigious university, but it's just a BA in Linguistics.
>>
>>2394990
Vietnam is a good option. Standards and salary in Japan and Korea are pretty shit.
>>
I just want to open a coffee shop
>>
>4th year in a row of getting rejected by JET
Im done. Think Im too old to reapply next year
>>2394815
>post resume
>chinks send me messages saying theyre interested
>send my shit over
>they all ghost me because Im a Flip and not white
How the fuck are you getting replaced when I cant even get in an interview
>>
No you will be fine, in fact you'll probably be better off
>>
>>2395003
vietnam is 3rd world tier compared to most of China. Less regulation and more lawlessness doesn't equal better.
>>
>>2395333
I mean if you like having things like the internet regulated to the point where you can’t even use social media or even do a Google search, then yeah China might be perfect for you. Or if your aim is to get covid.
>>
>>2395352
ye smartass but we ain't talking about internet tho are we? So take your smartassness somewhere else
>>
>>2395212
Did you get interviews? Or straight-up rejected?
I got rejected first two years and an interview this year. I realised my SOP wasn't that good. It was fine but not the best I could write. I rewrote it 5 times, had current JETs look at it and edit it and that landed me an interview.

If you are in your 30s you are probably too old.
>>
>>2395366
rejected. yes, I am in my mid 30s. maybe I'll just go to Thailand or some shit. Chinese don't really hire us unless we're already there. Well, I guess that goes for every country.
>>
>>2395373
The biggest myth I've seen shilled on /trv/ is that JET is easy to get on. It really isn't. It's really competitive, since it's a cushy decently paid job where you get to spend time hanging out in Japan for a few years. Yes, most JETs are weirdos, but they are educated and work hard on their applications. Some go to university with a degree specifically to get on the JET programme.

If you are serious about getting on, start working now. Start taking Japanese classes, do a TEFL, Anything that shows your interest in Japanese culture and ability to Teach.
>>
>>2395355
You literally said regulation. I mean I could go on about Chinese people pooping in the street and all that too. It’s not a place you want to live in if you want a decent quality of life.
>>
File: 148492.jpg (92 KB, 1108x1477)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2395366
>If you are in your 30s you are probably too old.
maybe 35+ I can see that. but I saw last years JETS and there were some fat, balding, 30 year old in the group. if you've never worked or studied in Japan, you will 100% be rejected. make sure you sperg about anime and being left leaning too.
>>
>>2394758
Why the hell would you want to go to such a shithole?
>>
>>2395457
It extremely competitive here in my country. Doesnt help that I have an education and employment gap. Or maybe I just suck ass in writing a good SoP.
>>2395601
I thought sperging about anime and beeing a weaboo was frowned upon? Or at least a very common thing they get in applications.
>>
>>2394758
>For reference, I'm half-Chinese, half-German, but other people sometimes tell me I don't really look white.

Yes you will. China man doesn't want to hire another chinky China man to teach his kids English. Blame your parents for being race mixer cause you look like a mutt dog.
>>
Flips can get English teaching jobs in low tier cities. You need to actually speak English properly though, and with a neutral accent.

You will be fired instantly if you show up and sound Filipino or use Filipino English speaker mannerisms.

>t watched it happen twice now, the Filipino teacher was dismissed same day the parent heard them speaking "english" during a video chat

Cannot stress just how important neutral/Hollywood/British English is. Don't fuck around, do some language training if you have to.
>>
>>2396304
I hope you survive a horrific car crash and get permanently disfigured.
>>2396324
Did you read my post? I'm a westerner, from a native English speaking country. I probably speak English better than you do.
>>
>>2394758
Hapas do extremely well in China. You shouldn't have any issue at all. In fact, you should even get something better than English-teaching jobs.
My wife is half-Chinese half-white and she's treated better than whites and chinese alike. She had many, many job opportunities without even asking.
>>
Bumping this thread because there doesn’t seem to be a TEFL General at the moment. I’m sure this is a long shot, but I’m curious to find out if anyone’s done an MA TESOL or MA in Applied Linguistics with a TESOL focus either online or primarily online, and what they have to say about their program and experience.

I’m already teaching at private language schools, and I have two vaguely impressive, almost relevant degrees, but I want to get out of private language school settings and into real schools.

Presently living in small-town Europe, so there’s no relevant training available locally, but my goal is to move into international school work here. If I ever relocate back to the States my goal would be to teach in high school or community college settings.

So I’m curious to hear if anyone’s ever actually done a teaching-relevant postgraduate degree.

I’m not interested in CELTA or other certificates; I’m already working and looking to expand my options beyond those that these certs would open to me.
>>
>>2396399
You should look into getting a CELTA as well if you want to work in certain countries. I have an MA in Applied Linguistics but had to have my CELTA to get a work permit
>>
>>2397132
I’ll keep it in mind, but I’m not looking at relocating at the moment, and already have permission to work where I am now. What country required you to get a CELTA to get the work permit? It’s the first I’ve heard of a country asking for it; I’ve only ever heard of the countries requiring degrees, with certificates just being requested by specific employers rather than immigration authorities.

Where did you do your MA, and do you recommend your program?
>>
Hey OP, am also half and half

I was making 200-400rmb an hour in Beijing 2015-2017 as a full-time student. However that was mainly through private lessons, working under the table at a tutoring center, etc..

Basically I'd get a part-time job, work at it for a bit, guanxi with parents, and cut out the middleman. Turn those 150/hr tutoring jobs into 300. Parents and students were fine with my 'racial ambiguity'.

The only time I felt slighted was getting hired for a high school speech course. The pay was good at 500rmb/hr pathed up to a work visa, and too good to be true. Right as classes started the coordinator dropped me from 5 classes to 1 and told me I'd be a substitute teacher. They told me I shouldn't have gotten the job on paper (Chinese last name) but was handsome enough to make it work. Some jobs aren't worth taking

I don't know how flexible the situation is with Student Visa's nowadays but basically everyone I knew who studied hard in China was working on the side. I knew this Bangladeshi guy with a London accent who taught over Wechat. 2 hours a night at 300rmb/hr teaching people barely able to string a sentence together.

At one point I also did apply for a formal workvisa / classroom monkey job, but you have to fight for every bit and piece of your contract. It's always a headache with contracts.

Already spending too much time on this OP, but tldr Parents and Students like mixed-race, schools and companies will use it to bargain against you.

Anyway that's my experiences OP, best of luck
>>
>>2397427
>They told me I shouldn't have gotten the job on paper (Chinese last name) but was handsome enough to make it work. Some jobs aren't worth taking
> Parents and Students like mixed-race, schools and companies will use it to bargain against you.
How does this not make you absolutely hate all (mainland) chinese? They behave the way people think Joos behave.
>>
>>2396334
Not talking to you, stupid. I'm talking to the Filipino. Fucking dumb pan faced mutt, hope you get liveleaked.
>>
File: ceh3ghj4d1471.jpg (473 KB, 1463x2048)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
>>2396292
>I thought sperging about anime and beeing a weaboo was frowned upon? Or at least a very common thing they get in applications.
every person I ever saw get on JET in the last 7 years very obviously sperged about how much they love japan and how much they've loved anime their whole life. they all were very far left leaning as well. JET has been infiltrated by left leaning weebs who are the ones who conduct the interviews. many of the women i've met bitched about how LE WIMMINZ were treated in japan. some even said they got PTSD from living there LOL.
>>
>>2394758
>IM NOT WHITE WAAAAAAH!
I fucking hate hapas I swear to God. The biggest crying bitches in the fucking world. In China no one cares anymore if you are white. It's not 2010 anymore. Plenty of jobs are replacing their teachers with penny philipinos now (unfortunately)
>>
Has anyone done EPIK?
I'm applying for EPIK rn after getting rejected post-interview last fall. Waiting for my professors to send their letters of rec. I just got my bachelor's last summer. Hate this feedback loop of not getting jobs cause of lack of experience, thus contributing to your lack of experience.
>>
>>2397867
>I fucking hate hapas I swear to God. The biggest crying bitches in the fucking world

Except for you white incels, all you can do is cry in jealousy of superior brown people awhile you devote your life to living with them and feeling inferior 24/7

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.