[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is being american just OP when it comes to traveling?

You could probably live pretty well in a place like Thailand on a $200k portfolio selling covered calls.
>>
>>2362217
Buying and holding $200,000 worth of stock (especially in a bear market) and selling calls for, at most, like $2,000 a month (assuming you'e not a retard and are using proper risk management when selling calls) is not worth the risk IMO, its a matter of IF not when you're stock gets exercised, so hop you're ready for that. And $2k per month in Thailand is doable to survive but you wont be having any fun. Youd be better off taking that $200,000 and either use to have fun in Thailand itself, or buy puts when the market continues to fall again and turn it into a million+ dollars, then buy calls when it turns around and rally up.
>>
>>2362217
>Is being american just OP when it comes to traveling?
no, it's shit because regardless of where I live I have to pay taxes to the IRS and so does your foreign wife if they are married to you even if they are not a citizen. Its awful never become a us citizen unless you want to live there for the rest of your life.
>>
>be american
>banned by your government from going to bad goy countries
>have to pay for that privilege by filing taxes plus tip with the IRS
>>
>>2362309
Can you get a second citizenship? I got birthright in Europe, Ireland. Now I just need to drop the American passport and I'm free as a bird. Sorta weird, that our passport is sorta like an invisible prison.
>>
>>2362223
>Just buy low sell high it's easy
Thanks stockbro off to make some money now
>>
>>2362268
>>2362309
>>2362333
The tax thing is only an issue if you're living full-time abroad and you're making over $112,000. (if you're not living abroad full-time, our rule is the same as most places on earth, and if you're making less than $112,000, the US won't tax you).

I disagree with the policy, but it's not like it affects somebody scraping by in Buttfuckistan on $200k in total assets like OP's hypothetical.

>>2362223
Congrats on finishing 9th grade. I can't wait to read your book once you've cashed out on your millions.
>>
As a Turk and a kid I used to dream about going to America. Now I would rather spend my untaxed remote work earnings and enjoy cooming in SEA and yurop. I visited 20 countries so far, I doubt I could do it on some tax cuckery of americans.
>>
>everyone hates you
>being OP
How do you figure?
Or do you think Americans are actually richer than most other travelers?
>>
>>2362347
If you think everyone hates Americans, I have to seriously question whether you've ever actually left your own neighborhood.

American international travelers are probably richer on average than travelers from all but a handful of the richest nations on average though, I would imagine.
>>
>>2362348
I've travelled through dozens of countries you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>2362348
Everyone I met on my travels talks shit about American tourists. Most common topics are that they are loud, have no interest in learning about local customs and expect everyone to talk English to them. A lot of them also have that American "I AM A CUSTOMER SO YOU HAVE TO WORSHIP ME LIKE THE WAGESLAVES BACK HOME" attitude. Of course you average /trv/ poster is probably high above the average tourists but if you think people don't have any negative image of you countrymen you are mistaken.
>>
>>2362458
No, I’m definitely aware that the perception exists, but I also don’t think it’s universal at all. My experience is that a lot of people have negative views of America or Americans, but a lot of people love America and Americans. I had this perception that the whole world hated us before I traveled, but I really think it’s a lot more that we’re an incredibly polarizing country with a very polarizing culture.

Anyway, sorry for the blog post.
>>
>>2362347
>>2362348
>>2362353
>>2362458
>>2362459
You losers spewing this Americans bad narrative is just sad, I’ve only had good experiences abroad, not a single person disliked me cuz I was American. You guys are probably just autists and blame it on people hating Americans or something.
>>
>>2362462
I’m >>2362459 and I’ve, likewise, really only had good experiences. *BUT* you’re a fucking idiot if you think there aren’t people in places like the Middle East that hate America or Americans, and probably to a greater degree and at a greater rate than most other countries. You’re unironically retarded if you don’t get this.
>>
>>2362333
Have fun paying your exit tax and facing difficulties if you ever need to go back to the US.
>>2362341
Have fun filing with the IRS in addition to local taxes while abroad, a privilege only afforded to Eritreans and USAsians.
>>2362458
American tourists outside the US are some of the best tourists you can get.
They may lack an indoor voice but that's nothing compared to Brits, French or - may Allah forgive me for uttering this word - Israelis.
>>
>>2362468
Filing with the IRS takes literally an hour if you‘re the average unsophisticated wage-earner. If you’re not, somebody else is doing it for you and it’s a minor cost-of-business like anything else. You’re making this out to be way more of an issue than it really is.
>>
>>2362348
Americans are the worst tourist stereotype after Chinese for a reason.The most oblivious people who act like every country they visit is their personal Disneyland and think their "rights" extend beyond the US border; that they should be pampered endlessly while completely disrespecting other people's culture and heritage along the way. Its what happens when people who live in their own little world actually enter the real world.
>>
I’ve been living in the Philippines on mid six figure income. FEIE has been reducing my taxes by 35k+/year, and the Philippines doesn’t tax foreigners on foreign sourced income. It’s not a bad deal financially, but life in the PI is frustrating, I’m moving back to the US in a year.
>>
>>2362342
>As a Turk and a kid I used to dream about going to America. Now I would rather spend my untaxed remote work earnings and enjoy cooming in SEA and yurop. I visited 20 countries so far, I doubt I could do it on some tax cuckery of americans.
Yeah but you're still a Turk.
>>
>>2362469
You want some sauce for that boot you keep on licking?
A Canadian literally has the same privileges as an US-American and only has to be ashamed of the heterosexual fag prime minister instead of the pedo president.
>>
>>2362534
Are you actually retarded? I explicitly said I don’t agree with the policy, you illiterate nigger. It’s a shitty approach to taxation. That doesn’t change the fact that it really doesn’t inconvenience most people much if at all. It’s not “boot licking”, it’s just true.
>>
>>2362489
how's the hookups tho
>>
>>2362468
>Have fun paying your exit tax and facing difficulties if you ever need to go back to the US.
Exit tax is for people who make six figures. As an Irish citizen, he would have access to ESTA. Your post is FUD and you are a faggot.
>>
>>2365744
>as an Irish citizen, he would have access to ESTA
Which is a privilege that can easily be revoked, just like it was done to many ex-Americans of varying income, thank people like Jack Reed and other assorted bipartisan scum for that.
You do not want to be on the bad side of the feds if you want to keep on travelling to the US because you have close to no rights as a non-citizen until you have passed CBP.

Also, the four-digit "fee" to be paid to get rid of the citizenship sounds too made up, but they do actually charge that much.
>>
>>2362223
>And $2k per month in Thailand is doable to survive but you wont be having any fun.
do you people need constant high end clubbing and 30 hookers per month, or how are you getting these numbers
>>
File: FiLrwfBWAAIBruU.jpg (171 KB, 960x721)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>2362347
>>2362348
>>2362353
>>2362458
>>2362459
>>2362462
>>2362467
>>2362468
It's pretty much solely terminally online Europoors LARPing here that go "OMG everyone hates Muricans!"

Went to Europe during peak Trump for 3 months and even British people were super nice and invited me to the pub with them despite being the most obsessed weirdos online.

Germans and Scandinavians are reserved, socially stunted, and way more racist from my experience.

Tourists everywhere are annoying to everybody.
America just has the most dickriders because it's the main character country.
>>
>>2365752
Your post is more FUD. The amerilard passport is a privilege as well that can be revoked. Plenty of ex-burgers get tourist visas after renouncing citizenship. The renunciation fee is made up easily by tax savings the following year.

Contrary to popular belief, people aren't jumping up and down knowing their countrymen renounce their citizenship each year. The consular officer isn't going to start screaming in your face, telling you what a huge mistake you're making. Only faggots like Schumer care when real niggaz like Saverin wise up then bounce.
>Verification not required.
>>
>>2365812
>FUD, FUD, FUD
Anything of relevance you want to say?
I support any burger getting rid of their shackles, but on the other hand don't do the crime if you can't do the time, so better be aware of any potential consequences you may face, especially if you plan on returning to the US on a regular basis.
>>
>>2365848
>Anything of relevance you want to say?
Yes, I would like to take this opportunity to remind you again that you are a colossal faggot.
>>
>>2365854
Takes one to know one, mister faggot expert.
>>
>>2362489
lived there for 6 years before leaving a year into the covid lockdowns. Where are you living at? I'm probably going to live in bali/thailand instead now, and vacation in the philippines for the nice diving in coron and motorbiking in bicol. Sick of filipino bullshit.
>>
>>2365878
I'd further like to take this opportunity as an interested third party to inform both of you that you're both faggots.
>>
>>2365886
>Sick of filipino bullshit
define this for us. I think I am too, but I'm interested in what this means to you personally
>>
>>2366265
NO U
>>
>>2365765
>this
sure its not cheap as it once was and once you factor in miscellaneous expenses you might end up paying out 1500-200k/month. but to think you wont have any fun is ridiculous.
>>
Selling options without staying delta hedging is picking up pennies in front of a steam roller
>>
>>2362217
Yes because people actually like you
>hey where are you from?
>france
>oh okay, baguette lol, paris yeah
>uh anyway
vs
>ohh american you must live it good yeah got any job hookups hey man you must run a business or something are you rich are you famous I bet you drive nice car you must be a real social guy haha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.