[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Flag-Norway.jpg (22 KB, 800x583)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Going in mid December, what are some must see things?
>>
>>2358293
I will also be there mid December to mid January, bump. Only plan so far is to rent a car and drive around.
>>
there's nothing to see or do in norway
>>
>>2358293
>what are some must see things?
The ticket counter to find the first flight out.

Honestly though anon. Not that fucking much in December. /out/ type cold weather shit if you don't mind it being dark 20 hours a day. Oslo has normal big city stuff but its expensive as fuck. The locals are pretty closed off to foreigners and that attitude doesnt get any better during the polar winter.
>>
>>2358317
>lutefisk - xmas dish nobody eats
oi, lutefisk is a fucking tradition
you will eat it and you will pretend to like it
>>
>>2358293
>>2358295
In December your options are really limited. In Oslo you should see Vigeland sculpture park, maybe munch museum, Bjørvika library, Drøbak. Otherwise head to Bergen or Lofoten. Forget about driving the fjords in winter if you are not super comfortable with driving in ice and snow and want to drive in tunnels the entire way.

>>2358317
Disregard everything this retard said except brunost, Jarlsberg, lutefisk and pinnekjøtt.
>>
>>2358317
>grandiosa
Dra te hælvette
>>
Where in? December is pretty grim, it's better if you are in the far north where at least you'll get snow.
>>
>>2359130
Hva er problemet med grandis?
>>
Aurora if you're that far in the North.
>>
>>2358293
December will be cold, dark, and snowy. Dec 21 is shortest day of the year south of the Arctic circle (north of it is polar night, easily until January).

Aurora can be seen anywhere although you need very strong displays to see it south of say Trondheim. I remember talking to a guy in Bergen who’d never seen it and he wasn’t blind just too retarded to look north at night

Everything will still be expensive AF but all the outdoor stuff will be closed until springtime

Why did (You) decide to go then anon?
>>
>>2359096
>it being dark 20 hours a da

Wow is that for real? No wonder why Norwegians invented black metal.

And no wonder why Scandinavians are noted for only being able to socialize when drunk. They are living in such sub optimal land if that is how hellish their longest season is.
>>
How's the cooming in Norway?
>>
File: 764102-1.jpg (481 KB, 589x1200)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>2359467
Wrong, lutefisk is about the bacon and mashed peas (and also any excuse to drink aquavit is a good one)
>>
>>2359129
I’m from Minnesota, driving in ice and snow doesn’t particularly bother me as long as I don’t rent a total piece of shit. If I can find something with 4 wheel drive getting around will be no issue. Is there anything /out/ you’d recommend in light of that?
>>
>>2359096
>>2359129
>>2359172
>>2359467
>>2359608
>>2359758
Also can any of you fine gentlemen recommend any nightlife places in Oslo? I get that the bar scene isn’t as good as other places but there’s gotta be something going on. Expensive doesn’t really bother me as long as it’s actually fun. I expected this part of my trip to cost the most. Techno clubs, music venues, cool bars in general, anything like that? If not, I’m cool spending this leg of the journey outside doing stuff in the cold, and working out if I can find a nice gym. I’m staying in Frogner.
>>
>>2358293
Can I dress as a Viking in Oslo? Even tho I;m black? Will it offend motherfuckers?
>>
>>2359979
Norway is tolerant including of retards
>>
File: Haralds gym.jpg (232 KB, 1080x1230)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>2358293
I've lived in Oslo more or less all my life and I have no clue why you would want to come here in the middle of winter.
>>2358295
I saw that you'll be staying in Frogner, I hope to god your AirBNB or whatever has parking included... If not, prepare to get skinned for parking there.
By drive around, I hope you don't mean drive around Oslo? Because Oslo is an awful city to drive in, and parking is impossible.
Frogner is atleast a nicer and more upscale area of Oslo, while still being relatively central.
>>2359846
To be honest, bars and clubs kinda suck in Oslo. If you wanted that type of stuff you should have gone to Bergen.
There's not really any "novel" clubs in Oslo, most are pretty generic with shitty and generic music.
If you want "techno" I guess Blå or Jæger is your best bet.
Depending on how serious you are when it comes to lifting, Harald's Gym might be for you. If you're more casually into lifting and looking for a more "normie" gym, SATS or Elixia are nice, upscale gyms with good equipment selection.
I'll check back and be happy to answer questions if you have them.
>>
>>2360572
Thank you for the recommendations. I’m a pretty serious lifter, been lifting for about 10 years off and on, fairly strong, haralds sounds great and I will definitely look into it.
I will admit, the more I’ve thought about the more I’m not sure why I choice to come to Oslo in December either. The problem with Airbnb is the cancellation policy is up to the host, and I just wanted to know I would be on the next leg of my trip, was getting stressed planning everything. So I just found a nice place in Oslo, said fuck it, and paid for it. Now I’m kinda stuck with it, but I will make the most of it. I’m Norwegian decent so I’ve always wanted to see Norway, and it’s my last month on my Schengen visa before I have to leave so that was my thinking.
I will probably try to score some cheap flights to Amsterdam or Copenhagen for new years. If clubbing in Oslo sucks I probably won’t bother too much. Bergen does sound cool, I will try to fit in checking it out.
As for parking, I’m not really planning on renting a car the entire time as I’ve seen your light rail system looks great. If anything, I was just going to rent one to see some of the country side and natural beauty. I’m from Minnesota so I appreciate a nice snowy day. If you have any must see recommendations for outside that can be done in December, I’d love to hear some. Seeing the northern lights would be quite awesome for me, for example.
>>
>>2358293
OP here forgot to mention I'm trans
>>
>>2360661
>So I just found a nice place in Oslo, said fuck it, and paid for it. Now I’m kinda stuck with it, but I will make the most of it. I’m Norwegian decent so I’ve always wanted to see Norway, and it’s my last month on my Schengen visa before I have to leave so that was my thinking.
Fair enough.
If you're just coming here to reconnect with your roots so to speak I don't see an issue with just "living life and chilling". There might not be that much to see but plenty of culture to experience.
I forgot to mention, Heidi's bier bar is pretty good too, especially if you just want to get laid. BUT, you need to be there early, there's always a monster line, so if you're going, I recommend being there no later than 10:30... No joke, if not, prepare to be in line for 2 hours.
>>
>>2361006
>need to be there at 10:30
Sounds great to me, in southern europe at the moment and it’s drives me insane places here are dead until 1 or 2 am. I’m used to being out and drinking with friends by 10 in the states since bar close is 2am.
>>
>>2359620
The further north you go, the shorter and darker the days become during the winter months. In southern norway the sun rises around 9am and goes down around 3-4pm
>>
>>2359841
>If I can find something with 4 wheel drive getting around will be no issue. Is there anything /out/ you’d recommend in light of that?
Take into consideration the approximately 5 hours of daylight you'll get per day. Some random destinations you might consider in no particular order, and some of which you might reach by train as well as car:
Bergen - I'd definitely visit this if I were you, the coziest town in Norway, especially around christmas. Lots of mountains in walking distance around the town if you feel adventurous.
Røros - Mining center with museums, cozy town but somewhat touristic, the railway journey is scenic.
Drøbak - often called a mini version of Bergen, easy and fast to reach from Oslo.
Fetsund - For Glomma river and the fetsund booms + øyerendelta
Fredrikstad/Halden - Where Glomma river goes into the sea, old brick buildings and industry, military forts towards the swedish border.
Kongsberg - Military industrial city, old mining center

If you want a roadtrip with a bit of mountains then Kongsberg to Heddalen to Åmot towards Bergen would probably be the safest (in terms of high quality roads), shortest and most bang for your buck.
An alternative is Hønefoss to Slidre to Borgund and Lærdal, then Bergen. Many of the most scenic roads over the mountains will probably be closed, so you'll either have to cross the fjord and drive along it on the north side, or drive through tens of kilometers long tunnels on the south.

1/2
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.54 MB, 836x896)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>2359841
As for /out/ Norway is a country of mountain and forest hiking (and skiing during winter), there's infinite options for outings into the forest from the capital, usually by taking the subway to one of the end-stops and walking/skiing from there. Maridalsvannet, Sognsvann and Nøklevannet are popular, but don't expect anything spectacular.

I think you should from Grønland in central Oslo (you'll recognize it by all the muslims and somali) follow Akerselva and walk along it all the way north to Nydalen. It is a very nice route and you'll see quite a bit of Oslo and old industrial buildings.

I mentioned Fetsund in the previous post, one of my favourite /out/ places is Øyerendelta, which is where Nitelva and Glomma run together into a really large lake. There's sandy soil and the river breaks into a delta that erodes and meanders a lot. Very good chance of seeing moose, deer, beavers and birds. Great fishing in spring. Best done by car but possible with train/bus (marked in blue). Again, don't expect anything spectacular.

>>2360661
>Seeing the northern lights would be quite awesome for me, for example.
You'll have to go much much further north for that. Lofoten or Tromsø at the very least, to have decent chance at seeing the northern lights, preferably up to Alta and Finnmark. Keep in mind that in Tromsø in december the sun literally doesn't rise, there's no sunrise or sunset, just varying degrees of black (tussmørke).

2/2
>>
>>2361700
>>2361704
Goddamn this is such a perfect write up and exactly what I was looking for, thanks Norse anon. If you’re in Oslo I would be happy to buy you a beer while I’m there.
>>
>>2361704
>>2361758
Looking at the locations of Tromso and Alta, is it even feasible to drive there in December time permitting? Or would it be basically impossible with weather and road conditions?
>>
>>2361762
Do you mean drive to Tromsø from Oslo, or drive around there having gotten a flight first?

You can do both - Norwegian cars have spiked tires and the snowplough service is good - but that is a long way to go in the winter. There would be the occasional blizzard to deal with and it’d take a very long time. Driving around the top of Norway in the middle of winter is not too difficult if you avoid the worst weather.
>>
>>2361758
I'm an assburger so I think I'll pass, but cheers anyway.

>>2361762
I wouldn't, it'll take you two full days of driving, it'll not be enjoyable or cheap or safe. You can fly to either Lofoten (Svolvær) or Tromsø with the airline Widerøe, at about 2-300$ for a ticket, which isn't far off what you'll pay in gasoline alone for the drive (1600km).

I'd personally go for Lofoten, it has a lot of smaller towns in close proximity so you wont really need a car to explore, there are mountains you can walk straight up to from wherever you stay, because of university there's a decent amount of students which will make it easier to interact with people, and it is a really special and cozy place in general. Great for fishing both from shore and boat if you're into that. In other words there's lots to do and see besides the northern lights, though you'll still have a very good chance of seeing it if you stay for a couple of nights. Uttakleiv strand is apparently a good viewing spot.
>>
>>2361775
>>2361822
I’m looking at trains from Oslo to Bergen and it looks like those go through the mountains, I assume those would be tunnels too? Would that be scenic? It would be nice not to drive, but if I’m not gonna see much I’d rather do the northern route you mentioned and drive the 525km. I could split it up in two trips or in one shot pretty easily. Maybe I’ll drive there and train back once I’ve seen everything.

Seems like planes to Svolvær are quite spendy like you mentioned but I may be able to book part of it with credit card points which would be nice. Trying to find a site right now that will help predict what nights I can see the northern lights.

I assume I’m going to need to invest in a pair of boots for this journey if I do. Looks like I can rent a car in Svolvær so getting Uttakleiv shouldn’t be a problem. Not sure if it’s worth all time and money investment but it would be an experience for sure. I assume it’s also dark sky area being that remote so being able to see all the stars in general would be quite cool.
>>
>>2361842
Oslo -> Bergen via rail is one of the world’s great train journeys. Flying from Bergen to Lofoten directly (via Bodø) is a good onward step. You seem too retarded to consider driving the length of Norway in winter but Lofoten is generally ok. You can land at svolvær or leknes and hire a car. Narvik also gets flights but is a bit of a drive to get to Lofoten from there.

To see the northern lights in Lofoten you look north at night. If there are no clouds and there is activity you’ll see them. Getting darkness is easy and you’ll see the stars like never before. If you want an app there is an entire subculture of profound autists who obsess about auroras, use one of theirs. you can also just use your eyes.

You will need boots and also grips for the ice. If you’ve seen the new grand tour on bezosvision the start of it was filmed in Lofoten in winter. You’ll be fine if you prepare for it.
>>
File: 3jkxy7u8fu311.jpg (155 KB, 600x1772)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>2358293

Poo poo country dont come, try denmark if you need le viking experience.
>>
File: bonbi yikes.gif (2.44 MB, 670x670)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB GIF
>>2362553
>via 9gag.com
>>
>>2361842
There are tunnels, but also some really scenic bits, and the train is pretty comfortable from what I remember. It is the easiest and cheapest way to see a bit of the country, as well as taking you to Bergen. If you do want to drive one way, I suggest you drive from Oslo to Bergen, as the sights will be a lot more impressive in that direction.

How many days are you in Norway?
And do you know where your family came from? If you don't know, your surname can sometimes give you a general pointer also.
>>
>>2362559
Yeah I’m thinking I’m gonna train to Bergen, then I’m looking at taking a ferry/cruise up the western coast to Svolvær. If I don’t do that I’ll just fly. The cruise sounds pretty cool cuz it stops in a lot of the cities along the way, I’d get to see trondheim and others plus the view from the ship. I’m undecided on that part of it but I did research on the train and it sounds very cool.
My family name was Olsen but they changed it when they immigrated. I have an incredibly uncommon last name now so not gonna dox myself but I’ve casually looked into where we came from and might try to do more digging. I’ll be in Norway for a little over a month so I’ve got a lot of time to kill.
If anyone has any recommendations for new years that would be appreciated, I might try to fly to Amsterdam or Copenhagen for a techno show or something if nothing much is happening in Norway.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.