[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I don't know what to choose between Canary Islands or Madeira. I'd like to visit an island on December, in particular I'd like to do whale/dolphin watching, do a day trip to discover nature and visit a city. I'm not a club person but I don't want to stay in a boring place without restaurant or shops. I'll go on holiday with my boyfriend. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2357820
I went to madeira in august and it was like heaven, everything was green with million flowers plants everywhere, I would suggest you to go in summer too.
>>
>>2357826
I read somewhere that the weather is nice in winter, not too warm but it's okay. I'm free in December because of my job, so I want use my vacation days.
>>
>>2357820
I’m from Gran Canaria. If you want to go dolphin watching I’d recommend either Southern Gran Canaria or Fuerteventura. If you prefer a calm holiday and be almost all by yourself on the beach definitely go to Fuerteventura. If you want some action and nightlife go to GC instead (on Fuerteventura you will hardly find any of that as it is a wilder island). Tenerife and the western islands are very nice if you are into hiking, they are superior when it comes to that but for the eastern ones have the better beaches. Since you pointed out the dolphin aspect I strongly recommend the eastern islands: GC, Fuerteventura and Lanzarote. Lanzarote is nice if you like very moon-like landscapes but the beaches aren’t as nice as on Fuerteventura and GC IMO.
>>
>>2357820
>>2357922

Ok you mention you’d like to visit a city. Then the choice is simple - Gran Canaria. Stay in Puerto Rico/Amadores/Maspalomas in the South, where the tourist resorts are. In the first two you will find a few ships that will go dolphin and whale watching. For the city experience go to Las Palmas for a day or two, the capital city of the island and co-capital of the Canary Islands. That’s where the local Spanish people reside (where I’m from) and visit the old town Vegueta and Triana and Playa de Las Canteras. Enjoy!
>>
>>2357922
>>2357924
Oh thanks that's pretty clarifying!
I found some interesting activities in Gran Canaria, especially in Las Palmas, that seem to fulfill my expectations. So, probably I'll choose Gran Canaria as my destination.
Also, I saw that Las Palmas is well connected to the airport but the taxi to Maspalomas is pretty expensive... Is rent a car a good idea? What do you recommend me?
>>
>>2357932
No problem. Sure, renting a car is actually a very wise choice since you will have the opportunity to freely move around the island and further explore the northern part (Agaete and its natural vulcanic stone swimming pools by the coast are a must) and the inner mountains. You can visit some nice traditional interior villages with your rental car such as Tejeda, Teror and Santa Brígida, the latter being closer to Las Palmas. The tourists you get to meet us n the north are the true “knowers” escaping from the plain vanilla touristy experience that the south offers, which is still nice if you just want sun, beach and dolphins/whales. Taxis will be indeed very expensive from the airport to the south so why not spend somewhat more and have your freedom?
>>
>>2357941
You're so helpful! These days I'll create an itinerary to visit the main cities of the island! I saw the Cocodrilo parque at the south of the island, it looks so interesting lol
I also look for restaurants, there's a good choice of local food!
So is the weather nice in winter? Many thanks anon for your advice!
>>
>>2358088
Winter is the best time to go the Canaries, even better than summer, no joke, as we get some cloudy weather in the northern parts of the islands in July-August. In winter you can enjoy 28-30 degree Celsius temperatures and sunny weather while the whole of continental Europe is freezing, which makes the experience even cooler. I do actually live in Germany because of my job and loving going back home for Christmas among other thing because of the contrast.

Hmm regarding cocodrilo park I don’t know how it is nowadays, went with my school when I was little and it was kind of underwhelming, just a little place with a bunch of lizards and a few crocodiles. If you want to see captive animals the best park for it is in Tenerife.
>>
>>2358401
Oh perfect I'll take with me summer clothes and a jacket.
Lol I think was a cool place full of crocodiles, no problem anyway
>>
>>2357820
My 2 cent as tourist. I was in Gran Canaria two years ago, its good for a week but nothing more.

The west part of the island is full of lot of expensive holidays resorts. Lomo Quiebre is the best and only good part in this area, anything else like Los Caserones is just empty villages.

On the South part of the Island. We spend the most time in Maspalomas which was yeah shit. West side of the Town is just a bunch of holidays resorts and shopping mall. The East part is literally Mallorca 2.0. A lot of trash comes here to party with dirt cheap restaurants and clubs. If you enjoy the screaming of drunk british tourist at 3am and groups of teenangers while being harass by Turks trying to sell you club tickets, go for it. Also they was a Gay Parade in this Town a few years ago, is still full of faggotry.

East is just empty rocks, airport and locals. Has a nice restaurant (Faro de Punta) but nothing really for tourist.

Kinda sadly skip the North because I was sick but if you like outdoor it should be ok if you have a car. The Interior of the Island is yeah, closed restaurants, ghost villages if you enjoy that, a lot of heat and rocks.

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria wasn't good either. Everything is wear down, old kinda 2010 greece atmosphere. Just zoom in with Google Maps and imagine piss smell. A few churches to visist but nothing more.

Gran Canaria got economie wise fucked in the last decade. You better off with Island hopping out of season with a rent car. Meanwhile I have from Lanzarote and Fuerteventura only good memories but I was a child so Idk. Seems to be a better choice

>>2357941
>The tourists you get to meet us n the north are the true “knowers” escaping from the plain vanilla touristy experience that the south offers
Just read this after writing my text. Can confirm this lol
>>
>>2358530
> Las Palmas de Gran Canaria wasn't good either.
You went to the shitty parts I guess. Las Palmas is actually a really nice city, even to live. It has this Spanish colonial flair, good cuisine, nice people and the best city beach in the European Union at least.
>>
>>2358530
So... What do you recommend me?
Anyway, I've never been in Gran Canaria so I can't judge it, I want to spend good time there and doing some interesting activities. As I say I'm not a club person, so what really matters to me is to not spend my holiday in a place that seems like Ibiza, just full of club with nothing more. I looked an interesting list of activities, so I think there's something more than clubs... When did you visit Gran Canaria?
>>
>>2358569
I was positively surprised by Las Palmas as well. I had no expectations but it's actually a nice authentic city.
>>
Bump
>>
does gran canaria have black sand beaches? also how is the spanish there? I speak a good amount but I don't think I could handle something crazy like chilean
>>
>>2361629
>black sand beaches
Yes in the north-east and west.
>Canarian Spanish
One could argue it’s the most neutral version of Spanish from a global perspective as it’s somewhere in the middle ground between European Spanish and Latin American Spanish, with a pronunciation that mildly resembles Cuban Spanish with European Spanish vocabulary and expressions. You will be perfectly fine with basic Spanish and people will react extra friendly if you try to speak them in the language.
t. Gran Canarian
>>
>>2361826
>>2359789

Mean to say north-west and east for black beaches. But the most popular ones are the white sand beaches like in Maspalomas or Las Canteras in Las Palmas
>>
>>2357820
id recommend Açores over those 2
but of the 2 Madeira of course
>>
>>2361957
Have you ever been in Madeira?
How is it?
>>
>>2362014
Not that anon, but it's a wonderful place, can highly recommend it. Truly the island of flowers. Make sure to rent a car and also bring your hiking boots.
>>
>>2362052
Thanks for your advice!
>>
File: file.png (4.03 MB, 1529x1989)
4.03 MB
4.03 MB PNG
>>2362014
I am in madeira right now, the weather is a nice temperature, but the island is very cloudy throughout the week. there is a ton of hikes on the island you can do. you don't need to rent a car, you can get a taxi to anywhere, getting back can be a bit trickier but you can either call a cab and pay a lot or hitchhike back down to civilization. not much for nightlife tho
>>
>>2362528
Wow amazing! Maybe there's more nightlife in Funchal

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.