[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 51 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 51Ifjnoa7DL.jpg (43 KB, 408x500)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Change your life edition V.2!
The only good thread on /trv/!

Is the age of TEFL over ? What is the situation in China, SEA, etc ?
Is November a good time to go to a country looking for ESL work?
Post your stories, comments, whatever.
>>
>>2352590
>Is November a good time to go to a country looking for ESL work?
A lot of the overseas recruiting for spring positions is just ending. It's never really a bad time to be looking for a job on the ground within your desired country, but I'd say that it peaks around Dec/Jan.
>>
It was barely comfortable before, I have no idea why anyone would want to do it post covid. There are much better pathways that take the same amount of time and pay far more money.
>>
>>2352596
>but I'd say that it peaks around Dec/Jan.
I mean it peaks for spring start dates.
>>
>>2352596
>>2352599
So would going to the chosen country around November 20th with the hopes of landing a job within a month kinda retarded?
>>
>>2352655
Depending on the country, it might not be perfect, but there's never a bad time to be on the ground and looking. The hiring seasons mostly affect overseas recruiting.
>>
>>2352697
Taiwan. I've gotten rejection letters from HK, Taiwan, and Japan all because I wasn't in country. Very few companies want to take the gamble on someone overseas.
>>
>>2352655
I would expect getting a job in my home country would take longer than a month, no fucking way id move to another country and expect it to happen in less time. Plus, don't they have hiring seasons? Unless you wanna temp or something
>>
>>2352590
>Leaf china cause of pandemic situation
>Boss tells me not to worry and that he'll save my spot
>Tell him a year later that I want to go back
>He says he can't
>Ask one of my ex-chinese co-workers why he flip-flopped
>Find out boss replaced all the western teachers with Filipino teachers
I knew it would happen I just didn't expect it to be so soon. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>2352590
Some fag had a bad experience being an English teacher and wrote a book kvetching about it? That's cringe.
>>
Anyone know good companies/countries to apply to with a bachelor's, no TEFL and no references? I had an eikaiwa that I really liked but for (autistic) reasons I don't have anyone I wanna use as a reference
>>
Is JET a meme?
>>
>>2352717
This is happening in Japan and is part of the reason the ESL industry tanked so fast. The other part of the problem is all the pedo weebs.
>>2352723
>Some fag got out of English teaching by writing a book.
So?
>>2352845
No. JET is as comfy as it gets in terms of ESL. But you really have to lay it on thick that you're a weeb and a liberal to get accepted.
>>
>>2352699
Yeah international schools have hiring seasons but generally cram schools hire year round. But it's also a unique time that the country is finally back open so all these schools that have been struggling to fill spots are suddenly hiring.
>>
>>2352845
Nope
>>
>>2352845
It depends.

Your experience will be completely determined by your placement, something which you have very, very little control over. I cannot stress enough that EVERY placement is different and unique it its own way and you'll really have no idea what you've gotten yourself into until you get there.

Some places you'll work for a single school, others you'll go to five different schools a week (one girl I knew was going to eleven different schools a month).

Some places your fellow teachers will be really cool and friendly, others you'll literally never be spoken to in the staff room.

Some places will expect you to spend all of your work time making lessons, attending club activities, and grading assignments, others literally do not care what you do the rest of the day so long as you show up on time to your scheduled classes.

Some places will subsidize your rent, help you rent a car, and open your bank account for you, others will literally put it in your contract that you are not allowed behind the wheel of an automobile during your time as their employee.

For what it's worth I did JET for four years and had a great time, I was placed in a fairly small city but my support network (managers, school administration) was outstanding and more than made up for the shortcomings that came with my placement (mainly a lack of nightlife). But for every story like mine there's a guy that got handed a shit sandwich and broke contract six months in, so YMMV.
>>
>>2352740
You'll need to put down some references. Even just your friends is better than no one. Also, many companies in Japan never actually check references.
>>
>>2353091
This is pretty true.
>>
File: takecareofmycat.jpg (106 KB, 600x857)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Gonna repost this since last thread died:

Has any anon here done EPIK or GOE before? I'm applying for GOE via Korean Horizons, I also send an app to korvea but they haven't replied to me. I have some questions:

>What are the hours/routine like?
>What does your co-teacher actually do?
>How many classes do you teach a day?
>Do you get health insurance/vacation/ benefits
etc?
>What happens during orientation?
>Do they give you a curriculum to teach?
>Is lesson planning hard/time consuming? (I'm worried about this in particular. I find it hard to beleive you spend your entire office hours plannning out lessons)
>How tf should I edit the 2 minute video thats part of my GOE app? Do I just talk at the camera for 2 min or what?
>>
>>2353223
idk anything about EPIK or GOE, but lesson planning was the thing I hated most about teaching. Granted I had no curriculum and no textbooks and wasn't allowed to buy anything.
>>
>>2352590

Taiwan is a great place to teach. However, I did not like working in a Taiwanese cram school. The good news was that students were actually bright for the most part. It's heartbreaking to see how their education system drums the personality right out of them as they get older though.
>>
>>2353549
Taiwan seems to have reasonable cram school hours. Or was it all the other shit that went with it?
>>
>>2352598
such as?
>>
is there any way I can TEFL with only an Associate's Degree or do I need to get a bachelor's
>>
>>2353873
I think in Vietnam you can if you have a 120h TEFL. Few other countries like Cambodia I'm sure it's possible too.
>>
Braaaaap
>>
what is going on
>>
I guess it's a terrible time of the year for TEFL.
>>
I've been meaning to ask

How do you guys plan lessons? I'm trying to be an ESL teacher right out of college and my TEFL course was alright but I still feel kinda underprepared. I have good ideas for activites but I struggle on differentiating between the Practice and presentation parts of the PPP structure they want me to use.

Do you guys just use resources and lesson plans the school gives you for lessons and just act them out or do you use google/textbooks and plan during office hours?
>>
It depends on where you are working. Most established language schools will have their own bare-bone lesson plans. Most proper schools will use a recognized curriculum, like Cambridge Curriculum or something like that. If you are going somewhere and given no directions whatsoever, then torrent some TEFL lesson plans (they clearly don't expect even that much effort on your part), or download/buy appropriate level and subject Cambridge Curriculum and write some plans based on that - their instructor guides only give broad strokes, so unless you can improvise unusually well for a rookie, you should do up the first week's worth of lesson plans and see how effective they are (and most importantly, if they are too long or too short).
Also prepare at least ten different extension activities, games, etc, for when you are on the spot and need something productive to fill the time. They are definite lifesavers. For really disorganized "conversational" teaching positions, that might actually be all you really need. Get a couple of books of those and you're done.
>>
File: 1635720056071.gif (3.2 MB, 640x610)
3.2 MB
3.2 MB GIF
>>2354931
thanks a ton. I'm trying to apply for GOE, a gov't public school program for rural-ish southern korea. I also applied for EPIK but I didn't get in and I'm hesistant about waiting another 6 months for the next intake.

Southern korea is not my first choice but I think experience is very important for me right now. the first month will be the hardest but it can only get easier from there.
>>
>>2354900
Don't accept any position that doesn't have a curriculum, teaching guide, and/or lesson plans. The lesson plans part is kinda uncommon. I had an ESL job in Japan and she had literally nothing, but still expected A+ lessons. We had no curriculum, student roster, barely any textbooks (which weren't used), and no technology. Worst job I've ever had.
>>
>>2355120
I assume you're talking about private jobs like at a private school or hagwon/cram school. I wouldn't have to worry about this at a public school right? Korean shcools have co-teachers but I imagine they're just there to support you and follow commands like a follower in skyrim or something.

Did you quit the job early on? Why did you take it to being with? Was it the location or pay?
>>
>>2355130
It was a cram school yeah. Not sure if you'd have to worry about that with a public school. Yeah I quit the job at the 6 month mark. All the stress was making me feel like my brain was cracking. I took the job because she promised me tons of prep time, but usually she filled up my prep time with time wasting bullshit.
>>
>>2355134
what kind of time wasting bullshit?
>>
>>2355315
write a speech contest speech for a student that hadnt gone to our school in 3+ years, edit and write another students speech, for her (the owner of the school) to disregard anything I wrote and put in her shitty English, i had to prove to her I could tell time at one point. I had to memorize a book and play in a week or she said she'd cut my pay. She said I memorized it perfectly but wasn't satisfied because I didn't read it like the guy on the tape. He was British. I'm American.
>>
I feel so out of place being legitimately happy with my life. Worked in three countries so far and absolutely love teaching and traveling. Managed to save about $80,000 over the past five years while living pretty well. Never had to worry about money and never had to worry about being unable to find a job. I enjoy teaching so much and actually look forward to my classes (for the most part). Even teaching "serious" classes like IELTS, academic english, corporate classes, whatever, I still have fun with my students and generally feel satisfied. I really don't understand how most of my coworkers are so fucking miserable. Friends and family from back home are always bitching about their jobs as well. Apparently, I'm a fucking loser according to most people but it feels like playing life on easymode.

Only thing that bothers me at this point in my career is I feel stuck teaching either test prep, teacher training or moving into management/admin. I honestly love teaching first grade and would prefer to work with kids, but it's hard to find serious teaching positions with YLs that aren't dancing monkey jobs. I wonder if I'm just professionally insecure and feel like I have to keep moving up the ladder rather than just doing what I enjoy.
>>
I'm going back to China. Fuck the workload in the Middle East.
>>
>>2355327
This is where I'm trying to get in life. I don't want to make a million dollars and I don't want to climb the corporate ladder. I just want to live comfortably and can walk outside without worrying about getting stabbed.
>>
>>2355467
Middle East pays as much as China at this point.
>>
>>2352845
As far as TEFL jobs go, it's one of the cushiest. You get paid very well for often not doing as much work as similar programs. You can also be placed in the middle of nowhere which doesn't appeal to some people.

Because of the pay and benefits it's one of the most competitive. Getting in seems to be somewhat of a lottery.
>>
>>2355327
https://youtu.be/JhIz6V8tvNk?t=69
>>
>>2355842
Wtf you talking about? It pays way more. The reason why is because nobody wants to go to their shitholes so they gatta overpay.
>>
>>2355945
For the workload, it's not more.
>>
bump
>>
>>2355327
How did you save $80,000 in TEFL? What country and what position did you have?
>>
>>2356756
$80,000 in five years seems about normal for TEFL in China considering the minimum pay is $3000 a month and you usually get half or all of your apartment paid for. But the z visa process absolutely sucks.
>>
Well after getting my CerTESOL I taught in Korea for two yea at a hagwon. I took a few trips but honestly found the country to be pretty boring and uninteresting, and I didn't really have time to travel anyways. So I just decided to save money and spend it elsewhere. My only real expense was groceries and the occasional night out, so it was easy to save ~$1800 a month. I just sent my whole salary home every month and barely touched it.

After that I went to work in Vietnam. Got a job teaching at a good language center since I had IELTS experience from my certification. Initially took a pay hit, but the hourly rate was way higher and I didn't have to work as much. Plus cheaper cost of living. Once I got my hours up to around 20-25 I was making more than Korea. And since your employer doesn't own your visa like in Korea you can hustle if you want for extra cash. Saved about $1500 a month maybe since I traveled a lot more and had to pay rent.

Now I work at a private school in Thailand making about the same as Vietnam, but with more work since I'm salaried and have to be at school all day. I like the routine better though since I hate hourly work with timetabling and subbing and all that other bullshit. Probably going to stay here for a bit then try to get a scholarship for an MA TESOL or diploma or something. We'll see.

Anyways on a TEFL salary spending vs. saving is really just a lifestyle. I'm frugal I guess but I'm not miserly. I spend a lot when I'm in vacation mode, but I only really travel to cheap locations. Last vacation was to India for a month where I spent maybe $2000. Most of my hobbies are cheap and I don't splurge when I go out. When I first started working I tracked my spending and just eliminated all the useless shit that was wasting a ton of money (alcohol, subscriptions, ordering food etc...). Doesn't seem hard to me but I guess a lot of people struggle with saving and lifestyle creep is a real thing.
>>
>>2357197
>>2356756
Sorry, was replying to you.
>>
>>2356756
It’s fairly easy to save that much, or more, in a few years working in places like VN.
>>
File: 00000111143.jpg (303 KB, 1100x786)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
This is how i've been seeing it.

Ok, I'm 20 years old now living in brazil (fucking poor italian-portuguese farmers moved to this hellhole before the war). It's a little behind the curve already, by about 2-3 years. I don't have a career, children, or even a girlfriend. No love for my family at all. Now I've lost even more time. No matter what financial support and redo's come from my family or my own finances...
I do need to take responsibility that it's now or never.

How crazy I am to choose to do C2/CELTA and then apply to TEFL jobs online over medschool in brazil (possibly oncology-epidemiology) ?

I still need to improve my english to C2 level, as you can clearly see. I also like literature (V. woolf, tolstoy, dosto, proust, yeats, etc). No, I'm not into sex tourism -- I even have some old elle,grazia,vogue.. magazines stockpiled just to not touch the internet (or to never look at a computer screen again). I'm frugal, I don't need nothing besides food, books, etc.

I could pirate all the material for classes and essentially become a somewhat efficient and 'good' teacher (whatever the hell that entails for TEFL).

Am I romanticizing things here? How to even find a TEFL job over the internet and then move out to the country? Only website that I know of: eslcafe.com

My hate for this country is inexplicably. My adolescence was completely mediocre and I've only touched on foreign literature when I was 18.

I don't think I could even treat these brazilian rats motherfuckers If I was doctor, so it would have to be research to get the fuck out of this country. But that's another long road to take I think.

The local language might be a hurdle. I'm not into asian culture by any means (just maybe food / women). I just want a peaceful place to exist.

Anyone here who can at least relate to my situation?
>>
>>2352590
What's the TEFL situation in Europe? Is it possible to make any money, or do you practically just break even?
>>
>>2357524
Go to medical school, if that really is an option. Your work will be much more fulfilling and stable. You can also pack up and move to most places in the world (barring developed countries, unless you jump through a lot of hoops) if you are a licensed doctor in your home country and speak English as well as you do now. Just buckle down and put in the work. You won't regret going to medical school (if you graduate it and pass your licensing exams), but it's very likely you'll regret becoming an English teacher because you're romanticizing it.
Teaching English for most Westerners who do it is a means to an end - they do it because it has a low bar to entry and allows them to live abroad. Most leave after a couple of years, and they have the ability to return to a developed country and all the opportunities that gives them (whether they realize it or not). If they really are passionate about teaching, they could become licensed teachers, but the vast majority do not. The same would probably happen to you, except you have less chance of success than they do (non-native speaker, non-Anglo passport) and much greater opportunity cost (giving up chance of medical school).
TL;DR - go to medical school.
>>
Anyone ever have any luck with getting a school to pay for a visa service? The service will get all of your documents authenticated for you and all the other gay shit. I've been wanting to teach in China, but no way am I gonna go thru the visa process by myself again. I think I can strongarm a school into paying for it.
>>
Is it safe to post my SOP for JET on discords and other TEFL related sites that give advise for it?
>>
>>2357757
>Is it safe to post my SOP for JET on discords and other TEFL related sites that give advise for it?
Sure, if you want some lazy fuck to copy it for their own application.
>>
>>2357699
Unless its a university I wouldn't bother. So many private school go bankrupt and then youre fucked. I know way too many people who got fucked over. Also the whole covid thing means you ARE going to be locked down in your apartment for a couple weeks.
>>
>>2357763
It's for the upcoming Feb school year
>>
>>2357658
Enough to break even. Not a good place to teach English.
>>
bump
>>
>>2357524
Listen to this guy - >>2357695
Getting this tefl-dream life is still possible. And I personally met a guy from Brazil teaching in asia. Many middle eastern folks, hordes of Africans, etc.
But. You may. You may burn out, freak out, get into troubles with fellow white shady criminals. Or get addicted to heroin, lol. Everything is possible. Beware of teflers, lol.
But. If you really want to escape and 1k a month seems to be enough for you, then you must save as much money as possible.
Nobody gets hired online, except for licensed native speakers. You may find a job, if you get into the country and look for a school yourself or just contact agent-slavelord at once.
You have to invest into a ticket, other requirements to get into the country, renting, deposit for a room, proper shirts and pants, shoes, necktie, bike, you have to translate and legalize your degree too. Btw, you will have to get master in education if you want to live tefl-life more than a couple of years.
I hope my post was useful. I know that feel bro, but tefl may (can) take more (health, time, will power, healthy attitude to life, even potency, LOL) than it gives.
Tl; dr: use condoms, bro.
>>
>>2357524
If you decide to go, I can try to help with looking for a school.
>>
>>2357524
If you decide to go, I can try to help with looking for a school. Tpdsnh
>>
>>2357524
Go to med school dude wtf. You can take the degree and experience anywhere and make multiple times more money than TEFL.
>>
What is the classroom management like in the schools in Asia? I'm going crazy from teaching at a poor urban school in the USA. Kids fight, swear, steal, and lie right in front of me. They talk over teachers and refuse to work. I can't find a job in a "nice" area and think I should fuck off abroad at this point.
>>
>>2358843
It depends. Every school is different and there is no doubt you may find yourself in a similar school abroad.
>>
>>2358843
What age do you teach? My first and second graders in Korea were fucking angels. Sweetest, most good-natured and well-behaved kids I've ever met. They just showered me with gifts and compliments and, aside from being generally mischievous, were really kind to each other and always apologized when they did something wrong. Legit melted my heart every day. When I moved to Vietnam I found it a bit harder to get them to actually do work, but they were still good kids.

Middle schoolers are kinda bad everywhere but still I never felt like I had a class I couldn't manage. They're irreverent pains in the ass but definitely not malicious. I empathized with my Korean students a lot since their lives are fucking miserable and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. I dunno, I love all my students but like the other guy said it really depends on where you work. It would be hard to find a worse environment than poor urban schools in the US though.
>>
>>2358843
This is why I'm convinced Asia will take over. Amerimutts act like niggers. I don't mean it in a racial way but in a cultural way. Something about growing up in America brings out the worst in kids.
>>
>>2358928
Go to China and you may be able to see such an environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOotFUKPOrk

2:50 - 4:30

They have to take the Gaokao there (insanely competitive exam)
>>
>>2357757
Go on the JET subreddit and message a few current JETs to look at it. That's what I did. Some of them just did grammar but one guy gave me detailed comments on what was good and what was bad.
>>
>>2358932
Currently teaching supply in the UK, it's the same here. The kids parents tell them the teachers are idiots so they have no respect. On parents evening it was like talking to retards for some of them.
>>
>>2358959
just be a libtard and sperg about how much you love asians and anime and really sprinkle how you'll bring diversity and awareness to japan. JET has been over-run by libshits.
>>
I'm asking for 4chan for help making a decision.

$2,000, 10 classes per week, no office hours, high school

vs

$3,100, 20 classes per week, no office hours, middle school
>>
>>2359057
Where at?
>>
>>2359059
China

Both are in smaller county level "cities"
>>
>>2359061
Just depends on how much you want to save. I wish I would get 10 hours a week offers.
>>
>>2359061
How long are the classes? If they're around an hour (and assuming similar class size), I'd take the second one. 10 hours a week is nothing and you'll have fuckall to do in a small "city", especially with the current covid situation. 20 a week will still give you plenty of free time and quite a lot more money. Middle school sucks tho
>>
>>2359062
This is the first one I've seen in a very long time and I pounced on it the second I saw it.

>>2359064
>Middle school sucks tho
Yes, but I've only taught them at fancy private schools in big cities. This one is a public middle school in a poor area of China.

There was a HUGE difference for me in behavior between high school students in big cities and in poor areas for, so I'm wondering if it's the same for middle school as well.
>>
>>2359057
If you're trying to save I guess you have to take the 20, unless you have other income sources.
If you're just looking for a stable job to stay at and/or have other sources of income then I'd take the 10 hour in a heartbeat.
In your place I'd take the 10.
>>
>>2359065
>public middle school in a poor area
Lol bad idea, stay away. Middle school is difficult to teach even in the best of circumstances. If they're poor they probably don't give a fuck and the parents won't either, so they're just going to raise hell.
>>
>>2359057
Based on just these numbers, I'd take the 10/week. You can teach or tutor on the side/online to more than make up for the difference. Or if you don't need the money, there's a million things you can do with your time. $3100/month isn't anything special for 20/week in China, but finding something with only 10/week below university level is rare.
However the devil is in the details. Research the schools. Ask if you can talk to any current or former teachers (if there are any - you might be the only one right now). A majority of Chinese agents/schools will keep some duties hidden until the last minute. If these are separate agents trying to place you, make sure the one you choose can actually get you into the country.
>>
>>2359235
>>2359380
>>2359440
thanks fellas

I think I'll choose the 10/week one. I need the freedom to work on other income sources so that I can get out of teaching. I'm afraid that if I choose the 20/week I'll become content with the money.
>>
headed to taiwan on january 15th. getting in before the CNY so I can be in the race for jobs after CNY. wish me luck bros
>>
Bump
>>
bump
>>
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out if TEFL is right for me or not.

I'm currently 26 and I got out of grad school this past May. I have a Master's in Film Studies (I know, I know). I don't have any debt (thank god) but I still have very little money right now. Currently living with my mom and sister at home. I'm American just FYI.

I'm thinking of doing TEFL but I'm not sure. Japan is my first choice. But I honestly wouldn't hate going to South Korea or Taiwan, or even China and Vietnam.

I'm just having a lot of reservations if it's a good choice.

I have trouble going to new places and meeting people if I have to introduce myself on my own. Social anxiety. Working on it. I'm just worried if I go to a foreign country and I can only speak English, the problem will compound.

I'm also worried about being placed in the middle of nowhere with no nightlife or anyway for me to go out and meet people. I know, kind of contradicts the last point but again, I'm working on it. I honestly think I would be fine with going anywhere that has a decent sized college with young people near it, as hopefully there'll be some nightlife.

I actually do have some teaching experience. I've worked as a sub at my old school (Both middle & high school). It was an easy job for the most part, the teachers would leave work for me and I just made sure the kids did it. I enjoyed it for the most part. Didn't have much social anxiety teaching (That's honestly happens when I'm talking with people around my age group for some reason).

I'm honestly not sure what to do at this point.
>>
>>2361068
I'm sure you realize it's hard to give you life advice with only a few paragraphs of information. I'll try as best I can:

> I'm also worried about being placed in the middle of nowhere
This is only relevant if you apply to government run programs that don't allow you to select your location (i.e. JET or EPIK). If you apply to something like a hagwon, buxiban, language center etc... you can choose where you want to work. But if this is a major concern you would have to do a fair bit of research prior to accepting a contract. The size of a city or the presence of a college nearby doesn't necessarily mean there will be great opportunities for you to socialize.

It's good that you have some teaching experience, so you can be confident you won't shit your pants in front of the class. Entry-level ESL jobs can be similarly "easy", in the sense that you are often given a curriculum and your only job is to get the students to fill out their books while avoiding any major complaints. However, this isn't always the case - there are many jobs that will expect you to make your own lessons and deliver them without assistance. Teaching ESL isn't necessarily difficult but it can often be unintuitive, so if you find yourself in a more serious position you might struggle with high expectations and pressure.

Are you looking to make teaching a career? Are you just concerned about money or the stigma of being unemployed? Do you have any interest in ESL in general?
>>
>>2361068
>>2361140
One option would be to do a CELTA or CertTESOL. These are short, rigorous courses that will teach you the basics and get you comfortable in an ESL classroom. They are expensive, but definitely worth a consideration if this is something you are seriously considering doing for at least a few years. It would be better to do the course and find out that TEFL is not for you, than to fly to another country to work and discover it there.

Of course, you should keep in mind that you can always quit a job. In the worst case scenario where you are miserable/depressed in a foreign country, you can just head to the airport and get on the first flight home. It is a bit pathetic and unprofessional, but I say it to emphasize that you are never trapped if you feel like you've made a mistake.

As far as social life is concerned, it's basically impossible to predict how you might react in a foreign environment. Some people who are normally shy and reclusive rise to the occasion, and some people who are gregarious find themselves socially isolated. Your social life isn't a permanent state either; foreign friends will come and go, local friends will lose interest or move away. How things start isn't necessarily how they end up. Part of your success in this area is obviously a function of effort, but it could just as much be attributed to chance. Have you heard the parable of the old man who lost his horse?
>>
>>2361068
>>2361140
>>2361144
I wouldn't tunnel vision on Japan regardless. I assume you haven't been there; you don't know what it is to live and work there. Don't be a weeb. Explore all your options and make the best decision you can. As with most things in life, at some point you just have to take a leap of faith, and either trust that things will work out, or trust yourself to survive even if they don't.
>>
>>2352590
My course is over soon. Can I apply for a job from january or I need to wait until september for the school year to start?
>>
>>2361068
Vietnam is easy as fuck to teach English in if you have a degree (and even if you don't desu). Hanoi and Saigon are both worth checking out, I love Hanoi and think Saigon is kind of shitty desu but quite a lot of young people seem to prefer it. Salary is excellent relative to the cost of living.

Forget China for the moment, retard zero covid policy
>>
>>2361205
>retard zero covid policy
not that bad if you're in a small town
>>
>>2361140
>Are you looking to make teaching a career? Are you just concerned about money or the stigma of being unemployed? Do you have any interest in ESL in general?

Yes I’m interested in teaching. I would also like to travel. Unemployment sucks and it’s a bit hard to get a job around where I am. In general, I am interested in ESL, I was an English major undergrad and I knew international students who wanted to learn English to read great works of lit in the native English, and I loved helping them do that at times.
>>
>>2361144
Thanks for the advice, it’s very helpful. I can deal with fleeting friends, I dealt with that in college. No I have heard of that parable.
>>
>>2361147
Thanks, I’m really not a weeb but honestly Japan seems the nicest

>>2361205
Yeah, from what people have told me Vietnam seems pretty cool. And yeah, I’ve heard China is a lot more closed down now.
>>
Is a program like this worth anything or should you avoid it?

https://ed.buffalo.edu/teaching/academics/masters/tesol.html
>>
>>2361753
>https://ed.buffalo.edu/teaching/academics/masters/tesol.html
It gives you a masters, which is a good thing. But I'd only invest in it if you are certain that teaching English is what you want to spend a decent chunk of your life doing.
>>
>>2361753
>>2361811
Yeah that’s a program for people who have already done TEFL and loved it, and want to do it as a career.
>>
>>2361549
Sounds like you'd love doing the CELTA.
>>2361753
That's a nice program as well, though I find it's only after one of these >>2361144 hands-on courses that you really find your stride.
Maybe start with a proper TEFL (CELTA/Trinity) and get into it - then if it's what you see yourself doing long-term you can get into the MA? Most decent places will invest in your training and/or allow hiatuses for studies.
You seem a good fit for TEFL regardless so go for it man.
>>
>>2362064
Thank you for the advice.

I’m a bit confused about the CELTA, I’m looking at the website and it seems like the only physical places you learn are in the UK, and even online stuff is UK based. Again, I’m American, how do I go about taking it then?
>>
>>2362122
They have thousands of centers all over the world. You can go to the Cambridge website and select a country to look at where the course is available. Then you'd go to that center's website to book a course. The price will vary based on where you are and who you do it with, so you can shop around if you're tight on cash. But expect at least a couple thousand dollars plus travel/living expenses. They're "UK-based" because the course is moderated by Cambridge and they provide all the material, testing and verification. I think during COVID they started offering courses online, so that might also be an option if you'd prefer it.

There's also the CertTESOL which is pretty much the same thing. It's a little more onerous and the curriculum is slightly different, but the certificates are basically interchangeable. It might be cheaper depending on where you go, I'm not sure.

Anyways what a lot of people do is to take the course in the country they plan on teaching in. So you could do it in Vietnam and then look for work right afterwards. Many course providers will help you find work or even offer you a job outright after the class is finished. This isn't possible in Japan/Korea though because of visa laws.
>>
>>2362151
Hmm, okay, thank you for this.

I’m looking at the center thing on the map and the closet one to me is about 6 hours away.

I’d be willing to do the online one but I’m curious if that will have any effect on how I can get a job if my only experience is teaching online.
>>
What are some good cities to choose in Taiwan? Mostly looking for a place where the cost of living is cheap. Is Kaohsiung a good option?
>>
>>2362157
Don't do that to yourself when you have a center so close by. Especially if it's going to be your first experience breaking into the TEFL world - you'll want the opportunity to get hands-on training and meet other people with skin in the game who can help you find a job or provide references in the future.
You don't want your first live experience to be abroad, possibly while being observed, with your intended job on the line - you go down there and get real training, in person, at the CELTA center. You'll thank /trv/ for it someday.
>>
>>2362465
I disagree with this. CELTA is a fucking joke full of social nepotism and narcissists. I unironically regret getting my CELTA. I would even be willing to state that I've met more degenerates and sociopaths in CELTA than any language center TEFLer.
>>
>>2362287
Kaohsiung is definitely a better option than Taipei for cost of living. It's a really nice city with a good train system. But it gets really fucking hot in the... summer? Nah, almost all year long it's really fucking hot. Lots of teachers go to Taiwan and flee to the mountains after their first year.
>>
>>2362465
6 hours is too far for me and it’s a city that’s expensive to stay in. I think online is the way for me unless I find something closer to home.
>>
>>2362507
Where in the mountains?
>>
>>2362659
He's trolling you

Public transport is shit in kaohxiong and the traffic is Vietnam tier dangerous.

Mountains have nothing but drunk aboriginals boomers.
>>
>>2362659
Tainan and Taichung are popular because they have less heat and humidity than Taipei and Kaohsiung.
>>
>>2362762
Thanks, I'll check them out
>>
Probably been asked before but is it worthwhile doing the cheapish standard TEFL courses or the more expensive CELTA ones? TEFL is around £150 for me whilst the nearest CELTA is £1500. I know the latter is more properly accredited but I don't feel too happy spending that amount on something I may not enjoy. My thought pattern is to do the TEFL first and then CELTA later if I enjoy it.

I want to teach mostly in Europe btw, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, maybe France, maybe Japan too when they're not as anal about masks. I'd teach in SEA but I'm badly allergic to peanuts.
>>
>>2362999
Nevermind this question was pretty much answered; In that case can I teach in Germany with the standard TEFL or will I need a CELTA? It's my top choice, I'd like to go around Europe in general but Germany is the place I want to teach/go to the most. From what I can gather I could teach in Spain and Portugal with a standard TEFL but places like France and Germany have a higher requirement. I also have a University degree.
>>
>>2362999
All you need is a groupon online TEFL certificate. You won't learn anything from it, but your first job won't expect you to know anything.
>My thought pattern is to do the TEFL first and then CELTA later if I enjoy it.
You already know what to do.
>>
File: Clio.jpg (17 KB, 279x261)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2362480
Clearly, your mileage may vary.
But even if your local center is full of nepotists, isn't that yet another reason to get some connections there? You don't have to stay and work with them afterwards, just take the referrals and GTFO.
Mine was in Western Europe and they were all reasonable people, apart from perhaps one guy.
Didn't really keep in touch, but just name dropping 3 of them has gone a long way in getting recognition at the schools I wanted.
>>2362620
If you do the intensive course you can wrap it up in one month, so it shouldn't be that expensive to just rent a room during the off-season. But if it's really inconvenient then sure, as long as it's a recognized cert. like the CELTA people won't really ask how you got it (more so where/with whom you got it, if anything - see above.)
>>2362999
Europe is nice, but you have to judge the offers on a case by case (read: city by city) basis - Portugal is currently at poverty wages, especially with the rising cost of living in Lisbon.
I'd go to Germany or even Spain first (higher salaries), and I'd really recommend the CELTA for anywhere in Central or W. Europe. You can manage with a standard TEFL in the East (and some Southern PIGS countries), but you probably won't like the offers these places will make if your standards are Germany/France.
But hell, if you're not yet sure this is what you want, then by all means just get that cheap online cert. and go try it out somewhere to find out first.
>>
>>2363001
>>2363031
Thanks for the advice. I'm struggling to decide since £1500 isn't really THAT much money and I know I can do them in other countries too, but I guess I feel I want to try and get off on the right foot and go where I really want to go first and foremost (Germany, probably Berlin.) I'll give it up some thought, especially since I'm not totally against the idea of other countries in (Southern) Europe either, it's just not my number 1 choice.
>>
Any Americans here in Vietnam? Would you happen to know if you can still legalize all your documents at the embassy post-COVID?

Headed there in January, but the cost to do it in the US is fucking insane. Monument Visa wants like $200+ per document
>>
>>2353223

I've nearly gone into EPIK and work as a teacher in my home country.

I tried Korvia, got an interview with An Park, she wanted me to speak Korean with her in the interview and was like asking questions about my relationship with the Korean GF.

EPIK / GOE should have fairly typical hours like 8-5/6 which is not too bad, you will have lesson breaks to plan and stuff like that, which makes your job easier than a hagwon.

Co-teachers will be either helpful or unhelpful from what I have heard. If you translate your role into English, it's something like English instructor, you get an E2 visa for the job which means you are limited to teaching English conversation. Most places just expect you to make English fun for the kids and enjoyable to learn.

Not sure on the classes per day, it probably varies between schools (you don't get a choice on where you go besides general location).

Orientation is your training days on what to do and so on. You might have to give some fun demo lessons, basically go learn and network with other English teachers. You will want to form a network with them and if you can exchange resources and so on, then you will have an easy time.

They should give you resources if they really want their students and their English communication skills to improve, but most places probably just want a white person to be entertaining their kids with English games.

Lesson planning at first is hard, but after you get to know your classes, you will find it easier to plan. If the school rotates classes through and they're all at the same level of English speaking ability, then you could make one lesson with varying levels of difficulty where the little kids get the easiest form and the older kids get the harder form with more vocabulary and complex expressions.

In your video, just smile and show that you are a fun person. Say how you love Korea and want to be there and how it is such a nice country and how you would love to be there.
>>
>>2363671
how easy are korean women as a whitey
>>
>>2363678
If you look good it's easy. You can't be a fat greasy slob.
>>
How can I find out about what countries there's work in or not, when we're out of hiring season and there's no job postings online?
Need to decide whether to give this gig another year soonish and it'd be good to be able to just like rewind tefl.com to 7 months ago to see what's out there
>>
>>2363862
what? google nigger. unironically reddit too. out of hiring season? we are about to hit hiring season extremely soon. new school years start in Feb.
>>
>>2363862
This is grossly inaccurate and out of date even 5 years ago, but still worth looking at for overall comparisons:

https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/country-chart-world-index-english-teaching-jobs

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.