[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 91 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dayofdedead.jpg (155 KB, 976x549)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Spooky Season Edition
>>
Posted in the nomad thread but got no help so I will repost here
> Right I need someone to explain this to me like I’m a retard
I’m English, I have a motorhome that allows me to travel, I also have a job that allows me to work remotely. All well and good, I want to travel and work, how does the 90/180 shengen rule work? Does the 180 day countdown begin as soon as I leave the last shengen country? Say I do 30 days in France, Spain and italy, the last day I leave Italy does a countdown start that basically locks ne out of shengen countries for 180 days?
Also how do they know how long I’ve been there? When they scan my passport? What happens if I’m 91 days when I return? Or if I decide to stay off the grid for like 3 years but then go home, will it set off alarm bells that I’m over the 90 days? Will I then be banned from these Shengen countries?
>>
I want to fly with Etihad from EU, their site says that as a hand luggage you can bring a 7kg one (economy class), on travel blogs people tells that you can bring a 7kg one and a bag (max 5kg)
have you ever flown with Etihad?
they don't even have a mail to ask this question, you have to phone but I am a sperg and I don't want to.
>>
>>2336764
You'll get a stamp in your passport whenever you cross a Schengen border. Your passport number is logged. At an exit the border guy can tell if you have broken the rule because of the stamps.

The 180 thing is a rolling window. If you stay for 90 continuous days you need to leave Schengen for another 90 before you can come back in. This is because every day you stay matches day 181 that no longer counts. Once you've been in for another 90 days it is time to leave again.

The 90/180 thing is not normally very strictly enforced. Border guards don't care about short overstays unless you piss them off somehow. If you come to the attention to the authorities for some minor thing ("this british motor home is always there") they will use overstays as an excuse to deport you. if you turn up at the border on day 92 at most you can expect a small fine and a formal deportation (but you are at a port already so no big deal).

Long overstays are a different problem. If you turn up with a stale schengen stamp from years back you will get asked about work visas, taxes, and then deported and banned from reentry. On rare occasions people get arrested for this kind of thing.
>>
I will be in Europe during December and January, so I will be spending Christmas and New Year's there. I will for sure be in Czech Republic during Christmas, but I'm still not sure which country I will be in during New Year's.

My questions:
1. Is it normal for most businesses to be closed during Christmas (December 25th) and New Year's (December 31st/January 1st)? Can I at least expect ethnic restaurants (kebab/Chinese/Indian/etc.) to stay open on Christmas?

2. Where in central Europe would be a good place to spend New Year's?
>>
>>2336917
>Is it normal for most businesses to be closed during Christmas
They are in London but I am not sure about the rest. Ethnic restaurants are closed too
>>
>>2336917
If you're staying in a hotel with a full-service restaurant (i.e. serving not only breakfast but also lunch and dinner) then that restaurant will very likely be open during the holidays or the receptionists will be able to guide you to an open restaurant.
Don't forget that Christmas isn't just the 25th but also the 24th and the 26th, restaurants will be closed at least one of these days if not all of them.
>>
File: 1657982198726.gif (1.41 MB, 498x280)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB GIF
>>2336759
Do you guys keep a journal or blog to note things about your trips? I had a wordpress blog before just to post about some trips I liked or planned and quickly deleted it because I was too lazy to maintain it and covid ruined all my plans anyway. I deleted Instagram too because it turned to shit and nobody was interacting with anyone anyway. Now I'm considering just journaling to keep some interesting addresses and place written somewhere for later. What do you think about it?
>>
>>2339104
Handwritten journal that you write in as you travel, both for on-the-spot impressions that you may feel differently afterwards as well as the fact that you'll be too lazy to write about your journey afterwards.
>>
>>2339106
I didn't think about it for my recent trip in the UK, I regret this now. I did buy a small notebook just to write random shit and started using it, but now I'll think about taking it with me next times I'll travel.
>>
>>2339104
Yes. It's nice to look back at stuff.

I sometimes look at the google analytics. it's amazing what gets the most hits. large hikes? big mountains? nada. commuter ferry with dolphins in the ship's wake? 1,000 hits a month. fucking normies man
>>
Im in san diego and matched with Tijuana girls on tinder and am too afraid of getting robbed to go meet them, advice? Theyre clearly real but obviously too into me
>>
>>2339104
The closest thing to a journal that I keep is a mini-ledger of expenses. Every time I spend money, I write down the amount & the name of the business (or just a general description of the transaction if it's something vague like a market stall). I do this with the intention of mapping out how much it costs to travel in X location. So if a friend or coworker asks me how expensive a certain place is, I can give them a somewhat educated answer. I've even helped an anon almost 6 years ago; his question was something like "how much money should I bring for two weeks in Hong Kong?"
>>
File: womenpacking.jpg (2.53 MB, 4000x3000)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
Alright lads I'm going on a 3 and a half month euro+middle-east trip in November.
What are some things I should definitely remember to bring? Or things that were lifesavers/gave you that little bit of comfort while you were traveling for a long time?
>>
>>2336759
Tips for improving bladder control? As I've gotten older my urgency to pee has increased. I might not even have to go but the feeling of being in a subway or chair lift (aka no access to a toilet) makes me feel anxious and have the feeling like I need to pee. this really puts a damper on my traveling.
>>
>>2339334
Sounds more like an anxiety problem than bladder control.
In terms of bladder control ways that can help include
>Holding in your piss until you really gotta go rather than just peeing straight away
>Keeping your blood sugar normal/low
>Kegels
>>
>>2339403
>anxiety
probably true but I've never had this before, I'm 38. Traveled long distances and such, but haven't driven a car for 12 years. That night have something to do with it. I'm used to always having a bathroom nearby on a long distance train or outdoors on my bike. Either way I have to keep this in check. it's ruining my experiences.
>>
>>2339197
I used to do that on an app on my previous phone when I was in Japan with a working holiday visa, I was on a budget and it helped me treat myself regularly while working part time and having to pay rent, food and adding money to my suica. I lost that habit now that I'm in my country and earning way more money and living with my parents until I get surgery and can actually move somewhere else.
>>
File: symbol_orange_text.png (77 KB, 1920x1080)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
Anyone use Showaround before? How is it?
>>
>>2340911
Just a front for prostitution. Once you know that the pressure is off.
>>
File: FWI1XqDXgAELvXZ.jpg (56 KB, 897x882)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
glad this is here
I'm going on a short trip to LA. it'll be my first time "traveling" (a 4 hour drive) alone, and my first time spending the night somewhere alone. what is my best bet for lodging? should I book a hotel beforehand or just get a cheap motel? money's not really an issue for such a short trip but I'm not looking to spend frivolously. where can I stay to keep my car safe overnight?
what's the best time to leave LA to minimize traffic?
what are some places I have to check out while there? cool restaurants, sights, areas to walk through? I'm planning on spending one night, two days there. in the night I'm planning on hitting at least a couple bars, what's the nicest and coolest nightlife area? west hollywood? should I bother driving around or just rely on public transport?
in general, any tips for Los Angeles (besides stay out)?
>>
>>2336759
Will they let me rent a car without an international driving permit (IDP) in France?
I'm leaving sooner than I can get one. I have a regular US driver's license.
>>
>>2340913
That's a good thing right? Is it easy to arrange a date, and prices?
>>
>>2341521
Take this with a grain of salt, but if driving in France, you either need an IDP, or you can use an official translation. If you're gonna do the latter, you need to find a professional translator in France. It's more expensive than an IDP, but at least you can get it while you're already in France.
>>
>>2341521
You can't get one same day?
>>
>>2341521
What state?
Some Europeans will accept certain state driver's licenses, whereas others will accept only an IDP.
>>
bump
>>
>>2336759
what is the optimal route to travel through EU seeing cool interesting stuff? Probably skip Portugal and fly into Spain as the starting point going in a kind of horseshoe pattern into France/UK, Germany, Poland, Austria, to Italy, maybe take a boat to Greece then fly home? skipping all scandenavia as it is too far out of the way.
Any good map or itinerary /trv/ has made? Based off the train/boat/bus routes?
>>
How do I get a ride on a ship to a destination without paying out the nose? I'm afraid of flying and want to visit the Philippines from the USA.
>>
Should I do a trip to Portugal in November or Japan in January?

I was originally planning on Portugal, but with Japan opening up and Zipair tickets being cheap, Japan is looking pretty attractive. I have never visited either place.
>>
>>2343531
I would probably go with Japan. Asia is more likely to overreact when "le big scary news topic" occurs, so while Japan is open for now, who knows if it'll stay that way. Europe is generally more level-headed. And even then, Portugal generally gives very few shits compared to the rest of the continent.

tl;dr Japan now, Portugal later.
>>
I've got questions about China:

1. How much access do they have to your social media? I know that they regularly spy on you over the internet, but can they only see stuff you've posted publicly, or can they also see "private" stuff, such as DMs and Facebook Chats? If you delete any stuff on your social media (both public and private), can they retrieve anything you've deleted?

2. If your friends badmouth China on social media, will China ever hold that against you?
>>
I want to go back to Japan to visit it next year, will I be able to hook up with cute guys there? When I lived there I attracted gaijin hunters who thought I was indian for some reason but couldn't act on it because covid cockblocked me and I was shocked I received attention so often. And they usually looked good and were polite and nice. Now I'm sick of being a christmas cake, I want to get laid. I know it's not the same as doing it with someone you're in love with, but still.
>>
>>2344660
>want to hook up with guys
>had luck with them before less than 2 years ago
Kinda sounds like you've answered your own question.

>When I lived there I attracted gaijin hunters who thought I was indian for some reason
Being mistaken for a pajeet is understandably insulting, but if you think your chances will increase, I say milk it. Japanese guys rarely do interracial hook-ups, and when they do, it's your typical run-of-the-mill tourists and immigrants.
>American weebs
>European weebs
>Chinese & Koreans
>southeast Asians
An Indian would be a rare fuck for them. You'll just be another Japanese dude's flag count, but if it's dick you want, then namaste.
>>
How to be on infinite travel, funded by working few hours a day on a remote job? Anybody has cracked the code?
>>
File: pepefroggie.jpg (40 KB, 800x450)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
This isn't a question but it doesn't deserve it's own thread.
I just realised when Americans say 'beach bums' they are talking about 'beach homeless people' not 'beach asses'
>>
File: duffle.jpg (57 KB, 617x1000)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
5-6 weeks in Japan next fall, undecided on whether I should laze around Tokyo for 3 weeks or if I try and see most of the country starting in Sapporo ending in Kagoshima
I'll have a full size rolling duffle bag so moving around a lot with it is going to be a bit of a pain
>>2345642
Technically I could do this with my disability pension but taxes get confusing
>>
>>2336917

How is the coomer in the Czech Republic? I once heard it was great but it was in the late 90's How is it now?
>>
File: Countries I've Been To.png (44 KB, 1257x628)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
When you visit a weird 'extra' place owned by a country, like Gibraltar or Aruba or something, but have never been to the mainland of the country, how do you count that in a list of countries you've visited?
>>
>>2346651
My rule of thumb is that if they have a 'national' football team or a president it's counted.
>>
File: 1658283593572793.jpg (26 KB, 530x578)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>2346582
I mean beach asses
>>
File: negative flights?.png (65 KB, 1032x760)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
What's this negative seats thing, I'm trying to figure out standby, how are there negative available for the main seats, like the 22nd one balances out at least but 21st is -7, don't know how the plays out if that's for the revs
>>
>>2346742
also the same flight on aa's website shows way more seats, what's going on with availability, why are the two different?
>>
Is it still worth it in this day and age to get debit/credit cards solely for traveling abroad?

If so, which cards are worth getting?
>>
>>2348209
>Is it still worth it in this day and age to get debit/credit cards solely for traveling abroad?
Only if you're American, it seems. US credit cards seem to get the best travel perks.

>If so, which cards are worth getting?
A very common one I see quoted around here is Chase Sapphire for credit, and Revolut or Charles Schwab (no relation to Klaus Schwab) for debit.
>>
What are the best countries to visit without needing to hire a car to get around?
>>
>>2341521
>I'm leaving sooner than I can get one.
Where do you live that this takes more than 30 minutes at AAA?
>>
>>2348209
>credit card
You want to have one so you can rent cars or other things that want a credit card, not a debit card. Just get one with no foreign transaction fees. You'll have to look into the points/rewards programs yourself to see if any make sense for your lifestyle.

>debit
Charles Schwab or any others with ATM fee refunds and no foreign transaction fees.
>>
>>2339328
Good noise cancelling headphones.
>>
>>2349351
I just got ear plugs. Is that not good enough?
>>
>>2349461
I got myself QuietOn active noise cancellation earplugs. Great investment for a light sleeper like me.
>>
>>2349461
It depends how noisy it is and how much that bothers you. I think I tried earplugs before and they didn't work as well and weren't as comfortable and would fall out when I was sleeping, now with the headphones I can also turn up soft white noise, so absolutely no outside sound wakes me up.
>>
>>2344783
>Kinda sounds like you've answered your own question.
Well, not really, I never did anything with anyone so I'm worried I'd get a nasty surprise. Or something like that.

>Being mistaken for a pajeet is understandably insulting
I wasn't insulted when that happened, just very surprised. There are a lot of Indians and Pakistanis in Tokyo and I thought I would never be mistaken for one, yet even Indians and Pakistanis asked me if I were one of them. I'm light skinned, I guess they thought I was one of these rich high caste girls? Are castes still a thing? But anyway, the few Japanese guys who thought I was Indian were disappointed when I told them no so I doubt it was meant to be an insult. I know I look racially ambiguous and I'm not white to begin with but still, and when I visited London a few months ago a lot of people there also thought I was Indian.

> You'll just be another Japanese dude's flag count
I don't expect a guy who's looking for a one night stand to want more than that, and I'm just looking to fuck a cute guy abroad so I won't be honor killed for having sex out of wedlock so I'm not any better anyway.
>>
>>2344299
>1. How much access do they have to your social media?

None. It’s a meme. I criticize and spit on Xi all the time and I still could get my visa and go to China without any issue (haven’t been there since the pandemic).
Unless you’re someone famous with a considerable number of followers or whatever. I even brought questionable books to China (but for my own private use), and nobody gave a shit since customs don’t check unless you have something shady. They only care about drugs and some stuff like ivory.

>2. If your friends badmouth China on social media, will China ever hold that against you?

No. Unless your friend is very famous.
>>
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows the current situation in Iran? I was planning on going in March next year but it's looking unlikely so I might try going somewhere else instead
>>
>>2349777
Customs can get butthurt about books that "hurt the feelings of the chinese people". If you want to test out your theory then bring a few Falun Gong leaflets in your luggage next time.
>>
>>2346742
>how are there negative available
revenue passengers are overbooked
>>
>>2349245
If not going to a resort and paying for excursions I always want a car. Even countries with reputedly great public transport are irritating as you are cucked by inaccurate timetables.

The exceptions are the Danish outposts of Greenland and the Faroes. Greenland is a collection of tiny towns connected by boats and aircraft and hiring a car would be retarded. On the Faroes the fat Danish subsidy means you can use the buses (and ferries, and helicopters, all with integrated and reliable timetables and low prices) to get around and see most things with only a little planning. Still better with a car tho
>>
>>2349245
>>2350549
If the country is cheap enough you can hire a car with a driver, you get the comfort of not having to drive yourself combined with the flexibility of going wherever and whenever you want.
>>
Digital Nomad, what's the best approach to Europe? I assume I need 60 to 90 days to really appreciate a country, so I'd be doing one Schengen zone country per block. What's the best country to stay in while I wait for the 90 day cooldown between stays? Croatia/Romania?
>>
Is Burma a third world country? It seems to be in that Southeast Asia region which is popular on this board but no one talks about it
>>
File: Capture.png (243 KB, 543x511)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
On my European trip between staying in Amsterdam and Switzerland, I wanted to go to a thermal bath in Germany. Only reason why I know about these (the one in my image in particular) is because of some other anon talked about them and they seem fun and chill. I marked the one he mentioned but I wanted to ask if there were better ones, preferably close to a city that I could also do tourist things? That one is semi-close to Frankfurt. I don't know much about Frankfurt, but I did want to visit Cologne if there's one near that.
I'll be taking the train between Amsterdam and Zurich, so anything in West Germany could work.
>>
>>2349677
>honored killed
>muslim
No wonder they think they're Indian. What else would you be, really? Malaysian? Indonesian?
>>
>>2350701
It's Myanmar now and it's politically unstable and not really safe. There's no real reason to go, because the infrastructure is still in a sorry state and there is still regular violence and there's not much of value to get out of your trip unless you're a journalist. I mean sure if you'd like to travel to what is very much a shithole country and risk being detained by a corrupt regime go for it but why bother when you could go to a stable SEA country instead where the most of your worries is being pickpocketed.
>>
>>2350694
Adding to your list:
Moldova
Turkey
Belarus (maybe not right now)
>>
>>2350701
>Is Burma a third world country?
Yes. Like the other poster said it's too unstable to visit right now. There was about a decade where it was ok to go, but that ended recently.
>>
>>2350722
>Belarus (maybe not right now)
Why not))))
Maybe stay in Ukraine too)))
>>
>>2350701
It's been turned into a no-go zone in the last 2-3 years unfortunately. It's absolutely great to visit and not yet spoiled by tourism but you should wait until things stabilize again.
>>
So if I'm going to foreign bars, what kind of ID are they going to want to see? I'm Canadian and I'm not sure if my Provincial ID with a photo and birthdate will be enough or if I should pay for registered copies of my passport so I can take that to bars (I'm not stupid enough to take my actual passport to a bar so someone can pickpocket me for my relatively valuable passport)
>>
>>2351621
Fellow Canadian here. In my experience, I find that outside of Canada & the US, bars and liquor stores aren't particularly picky about ID. I have literally never been asked for ID in my travels, except to check in at hotels and to rent cars. Zero issue with alcohol & tobacco purchases.

I always keep a driver's license with me in case they ask, but I haven't needed to use it yet. I don't carry my passport or even copies of it, because like you've said, carrying the real thing is a bit foolhardy. I haven't bothered with copies, because I'm not gonna go find a notary office just so I can drink.
>>
>>2351623
Supposedly ServiceCanada will do 3 copies for $45 while I'm there, I just don't know if $45 is worth it to have copies in case some thirdie asks me "Sir please to show passport sir need to see passport ID sir"
>>
>>2351626
>I just don't know if $45 is worth it to have copies
It isn't. Many travelers, not just myself, have been able to drink/smoke/gamble without having to show ID. Even if you do get an employee who is a stickler for the rules, they're not gonna be equipped to handle non-local ID. They're only trained on what local forms of identification look like. Even if you showed them your real passport, most of them aren't gonna be able to tell a real one apart from a fake. So I would say that in the very unlikely event that you're asked for ID, your plastic driver's license will be just as effective as a certified copy of your passport, if not more.

>in case some thirdie asks me "Sir please to show passport sir need to see passport ID sir"
If anything, thirdies are less likely to give a shit. The only people who ask me for ID are white middle-aged Canadian/American women.
>>
>>2351626
A certified passport copy will not be useful for bars and stores but for carrying around in countries where you are supposed to always have your passport on you.
Unless you are going to Massachusetts your driver's license should be fine, provided it is in English and has a photo that looks like you.
>>
>>2351711
Wait, what goes on in Massachusetts? Do they not accept Canadian driver's licenses?
>>
>>2351720
They only accept their own driver's licenses, everybody else has to show their passport and yes, they actually enforce it.
They do have a Liquor ID that's valid for 5 years and can be bought by anybody over 21.
>>
File: 1661670708555.jpg (298 KB, 1240x791)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
>>2351738
>They do have a Liquor ID that's valid for 5 years and can be bought by anybody over 21.
Ho-lee shit.

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-a-liquor-id-card
This is actually insane.
>>
>>2351758
Well, under their goals (keeping booze away from 20 year olds) it totally makes sense to only accept IDs of the highest standard.
Makes for a nice souvenir if you go through all the steps.
>>
>>2351758
>>2351775
>$25 application fee
It's literally just a money grabbing scheme.
Oh, you want to drink in our state? How about you pay us a $25 drinking tax for your convenience :^) Our bartenders are in on it and will hassle you if you don't have one.
>>
File: Hijab Wife.jpg (167 KB, 1060x1500)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Redpill me on Indonesia Sumatra/Sulawesi/Maluku and Kalimantan.
Is Bali a total containment zone to be avoided by real /trv/lers?
>>
>>2344660
are you a woman or a faggot? because you may find some desperate nip to fuck you if the former but keep in mind they aren't as desperate as they are here in the west and have actual standards for their women
>>
best language to travel europe?
>>
>>2352243
English. More people in the EU understand English than any other language and that’s after Brexit. French and German are the most popular third languages.

If you’re going somewhere very obscure or remote the local language is probably useful. Even then you can probably get by just with English.
>>
>>2352243
English.
But then a little of bit French/Italian/Spanish would help a lot if you intend of going there. Their English is hilariously bad.
>>
Travelling through leafland here, both cities and doing hikes in the woods. I want some paper maps because I keep having terrible internet coverage and I'm often away from reliable sources of electricity. My phone ends up turned off for days or a week at a time as an emergency contact rather than anything useful.

What do you use for paper maps? Went to Map Town in calgary but the road maps are pretty old. Decent enough for topographical maps in the woods though.
>>
>>2352422
Usually you can get acceptable maps at touristy outposts/local city tourism kiosks, but failing that I would say Gas Stations/Convenience stores tend to have decent maps/guides. Not sure how good they'll be for remote/rural hiking though.
>>
Toulouse, is it work making the trip?
>>
is there any chance of the US relaxing their vax requirements in the near future?
>>
>>2352383
if you spend too much time shitposting on this godforsaken internet board then going outside becomes frightening

you will be fine anon, just don't go running with the bulls in Pamplona or share /pol/ opinions
>>
>>2352511
If you are in the area Carcassonne is nearby and worth it.
>>
>>2352524
Plan to get to the airport 2-3 hours before your flight leaves. You only need 1h most of the time so this gives you a safety margin
>>
>>2352243
English in the west, Russian in the (far) east.
>>
>>2352587
How far east?
>>
>>2352650
Anything ex-Soviet and not in the EU
>>
>>2352547
I'm there for 2 days man, just tell me about the town.
>>
>>2352572
And then use the extra time to knock down beers.
>>
When having a connecting flight is having a 1 hour layover possible or is that to short of a time?
I'm thinking of travelling from Tel Aviv Airport are they known for having lots of delays?
>>
Thinking about moving to tijuana as a late 20s black dude from the midwest who doesn't speak spanish

Doing it because I plan on working remotely and want somewhere a LOT cheaper to live

Other than crime and double taxation, bad idea?

I figure a month's worth of rent here would pay for a month's worth of living expenses there
>>
>>2354238
If the layover is self-induced (ie. you're buying two separate tickets, possibly with two separate airlines), 1 hour is too little. I would recommend 3 hours.

If the layover is actually legitimate (ie. you're buying a single ticket directly off the airline's website, and they're the ones who suggested the itinerary), the onus is on them to get the layover right. If anything goes wrong on their end, they owe you a new flight plus reimbursement for any expenses incurred.

If the layover is from a third-party website (ie. you booked a flight through Expedia or some shit), you are gonna be heartbroken if it doesn't work. It's basically the same as the first scenario, except you're paying someone else to do it for you.
>>
For an upcoming trip, I have a 3-day buffer in the Netherlands. I'm just wondering whether to stay in Amsterdam or the Hague (or maybe some other city). In the past, I've been to Amsterdam twice, and I've been to the Hague once.
>>
Anybody travel with one of these portable washing bags and find them useful?
>>
>>2355023
Just...go to those coin operated laundromats? Or in a pinch just wash your clothes while you shower and use soap/shampoo?
>>
>>2336759
i was hoping to hop to amsterday for couple days but most airbnb are 250$ a night, is it a honeypot? I honestly only want to smoke a bit and hop bars, maybe an escort
>>
I have been travelling alot and mostly seen historical sites, zoo's and a little bit of nature while doing a bit of shopping. I want to try something new, I want to experience something really exciting and interesting. Anything you could recommend that's in Europe?
>>
>>2355032
This.
Laundry is such a trivial expense in most parts of the world.
If your clothes are made of synthetic fibers, they'll dry quite fast if you do choose to hand-wash them.

I can't speak for everyone, but my travel goal is to have as much fun as possible, while keeping labor to a minimum. I will sacrifice a little time to throw my clothes into a washer & dryer, but 9 times out of 10 I am not going to spend the extra time to manually wash the clothes myself.
>>
Started planning a big trip to SEA in 2019, then covid happened. Finally have a chance to go in a couple of months and I feel like after three years of looking forward to it, I've basically burnt out on excitement. Any tips to hype up again?
>>
>>2355226
If you're burnt out on excitement, go somewhere else instead. Either you'll get it back for SEA eventually or you won't. Don't go somewhere you can't even get excited for.
>>
>>2355240
I don't think its even about the destination, just travel in general. I know the last couple of times I've gone overseas, usually the days leading up to it with the prep - bookings, packing, cleaning my place, all that shit - I often start to burn out and don't even feel like going, but once I get there it's like there is a different feeling you don't get at home. I just can't remember what that feels like anymore.
I think I just need to go and it will fall into place, I just hate the 'quiet before the storm' feeling I always seem to get which is now weeks before instead of days.
>>
How much money do I need for a good time in Mexico for about a week or two?
>>
I’m planning on flying into London and then using a eurail pass to go through a few different countries over the course of a month or so …
My question is, how much will proof of onward travel be a problem? I don’t plan on buying a return ticket until Im ready to leave, because I don’t know where I’ll be.

Will this be a problem on the train as I cross borders as well?
>>
>>2355373
Coming from USA btw
>>
>>2355226
Find some things you were most excited about and find read good blogs about them and or watch videos.

Like if you wanted to go to medalin to do nasty stuff those YouTube red light district videos would have you exploding.

If food is your thing seeing all of the weird obscure markets would get you very intrigued.

If it starts out boring stop immediately, as it'll demoralise you.
>>
traveling for the first time ever and alone… mid 20s f and american

Where should i go

Belize
Bali
Thailand
London/paris/rome
Greece/spain

I am not good at swimming and i want a mix of fun and culture… i dont drink
>>
>>2355739
>f
>fun and culture
The Congo
>>
>>2355739
Europe obviously, start with the usual London/Paris and work your way across countries by train.
>>
how much does supermarket food typically cost in italy and germany? can I make it in both on $10 a day?
>>
>>2355226
study the language
>>
>return flight from Japan to US, January 2020
>walking through customs
>see sign telling you to go in a separate line if you have "this"
>item in question was a passport that's sealed in a giant hard plastic container
>ask nearest TSA guard what the fuck is that
>his eyes widen, stands up and immediately asks if I have one
>I say no, I've just never seen that setup
>"It's for....not good people"
>no one I talked to knew what I was describing, haven't been able to find out anything about it on the Internet

Does anyone know what I'm describing or what it's for? Like an extra layer of security so people can't tamper with their passports or something? Imagine an old, oversized, hard plastic video game case that's see through a passport is kept in.
>>
>>2356261
American diplomatic passports
>>
>>2356195
Germany is the home of Aldi and Lidl. If you want to live like a poorfag you easily can.
>>
>>2356261
9 out of 10 times, it's just a passport sealed in a plastic container. But 1 time out of 10... it's a dildo.
>>
>>2336759
Someone explain to me why the fuck I decided to go to Scandinavia. It's cold and dark all the time here and the people pretend you don't exist.
>>
>>2356751
maybe you are just an asshole because Scandinavians are actually pretty friendly
>>
>>2336759
Recs for pants? Ideally ones with hard-to-open or secret pockets?
>>
>>2352286
Can confirm, in Italy right now and the language barrier is pretty brutal unless I meet a German or other Northern European.
>>
>>2356195
$10 would be pretty hard but maybe doable in Italy. Depends how much you need to eat. At least in the major cities. Food is a little cheaper than the US but not by much cuz you can’t buy in bulk. Meat seems to be a lot more expensive for less. If you eat purely pasta and don’t buy a lot of seasonings/meat to add you can probably do it.
>>
>>2357002
Where do you live where that happens?
t. scandi
>>
I've saved $22k in cash. Is this enough to travel around Europe for at least 1 year?
>>
File: file.png (889 KB, 598x850)
889 KB
889 KB PNG
I was planning to go on holidays in The Netherlands for a weekend somewhere in December.
What's a good city to visit?
Most of the major cities I went to were only day trips.
>>
File: file.png (454 KB, 564x741)
454 KB
454 KB PNG
I'm in Dublin and I want a retardedly huge gallowglass claymore, has to be sharp. Anyone know where I can get that, or just a sword shop in general here that sells sharp blades? Tried googling it but there's a place nearby called swords so it fucks it up. Also, where to get a good blackthorn walking stick?
>>
File: 1477849408331.jpg (61 KB, 409x581)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Spending the next four days in Montreal, any good restaurant recs?
>>
Is Iceland a nice place to visit?
I'm a very introverted person who doesn't speak much so I just want to be by myself and walk around for days
>>
>>2357315
Great for sights & limited social interaction, but it's quite expensive and the food is unappetizing. Even a hostel (mind the "s", that was no typo) can get pretty expensive over there. Also, you gotta be open to the idea of driving a rental car if you want to get maximum value out of that country. Otherwise, you're gonna be stuck with a limited bus system in Reykjavik.
>>
Expat places in el salvador? Visiting my gf and I'm interested in bwc fucking her
>>
>>2357689
Expat and night life in general. Where I won't get murdered of course
>>
>>2357315
If you love hiking and nature, it’s easily one of the best. But as the other anon said, you absolutely need a car.
If you’re not into nature, don’t come. Don’t come like the thousands of others coming “just for some pictures” and ruining some places in Iceland.
>>
>>2357160
Historical claymores weren't actually that big. They're around the size of a 1 & 1/2 sword or longsword.

>Also, where to get a good blackthorn walking stick?
Try this place. About an hour south of Dublin.
https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/
>>
Is it ok if my names don't have spaces between them on a plane ticket?
It looks like FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME, LASTNAMELASTNAME
>>
>>2358378
Yes it's okay. In fact, it's expected. Sometimes you'll even have your title crammed in there.

So if you were Mr. John James Smith, the name on your ticket could look like
>JOHNJAMES SMITH
>SMITH, JOHNJAMES
>SMITH, JOHNMR
>SMITH, MRJOHN
>>
>>2358398
Thanks
>>
>>2358378
It's also okay if your full name doesn't fit, they're used to it.
>>
Anyone have recommendations for places with huge art scene/communities?
>>
I'd like to go work in Asia. I am a white american male. I'm about to graduate with a bachelors in I.T. I know about the tefl route, but was wondering if there were any options of doing actual work, and how I would go about finding/applying for those jobs.
>>
Organising my first trip since 2019
Is it just me or is it more of an administrative pain in the ass than before? Flight options are more rigid, fewer places to stay, accommodation prices are up, etc.
Last time I was overseas I could easily change plans on a dime, now I'm worried it's going to be a massive hassle if I don't follow a strict pre planned itinerary.
>>
>>2358512
Melbourne
>>
>>2359257
Many countries barely just reopened and many flights are still not restored. We are still not at full capacity.
>>
>>2359281
I can see.
Honestly wondering if I need to be less ambitious in my plans and stick to one country for less time.
>>
File: Twitter @norafawn.jpg (381 KB, 2048x1634)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
Should I travel if I don't like parting with my money?
Should I look into how to travel on a budget or is it not worth the effort?
>>
>>2360273
Decide how much you're willing to spend and make a plan based on that. Some countries are cheaper than others, most are cheaper in off peak seasons. How you travel makes a big difference too.
It really comes down to what you want, only you can decide if it's worth it.
>>
Do US hotels usually have type B plugs or type A?
>>
>>2361954
Most wall sockets in the US are Type B. Type A plugs are compatible with B sockets. I usually don't see Type A sockets unless it's located next to a bathroom sink.
>>
>>2361955
Thanks bud
>>
>>2336759
i have prescription pills to bring on a flight. i don't want to bring a big bottle of 90 day supply since I'm only going to be travelling a few days. if i put the pills in a ziplock bag, will i get in trouble with TSA/Customs. I would also prefer to bring it in my carry on instead of checked luggage.
>>
When is fucking Burgerland dropping vaccine requirements? I just want to do my weeb pilgrimage to Nipponland but I can't plan my fucking trip because all flights connect on Muttland.
>>
File: 1668814764781.jpg (819 KB, 1920x1080)
819 KB
819 KB JPG
>>2362593
Depends on how you define "trouble."
Will you go to jail for it? Absolutely not.
Will they ask you more questions about it? Maybe.
Will it waste more time than usual? Possibly, but that's why you came to the airport 2-3 hours early.

If you were smuggling illegal drugs, you would probably hide it better. No smuggler is dumb enough to have it in plain sight. Additionally, most airports don't have the logistics to screen every single passenger with unmarked pills. You're not the first, and you're certainly not the last. At most, they might get a dog to sniff your bag, or they test your pills for illicit material.
>>
>>2362593
Put them in an empty pill bottle.
>>
>>2362629
Japan also has covid vax requirements, including need to have booster
So why would it be a big deal if you go through the US?
>>
>>2362809
Wrong, you can enter Japan with a negative PCR test result.
>>
Had some hard times lately and quit my job. I need to relax completely in a place that looks nice and is quiet. I'm willing to spend 2k for at least a few days, what would you recommend?
>>
I'm just checking out some Black Friday deals on hotels. Are they really supposed to be this cheap? I found a luxury suite that is currently on sale for $300. It says that it's normally $1300. This is one of those "make the base price higher so the sale price looks super-low" tricks, right?
>>
>>2340913
any experiencies with that? are people aware of that use or is it a stretch?
>>
Is England nicer in the spring or fall? Thinking about doing a trip next year but I'm not sure whether to go in May or September or October.
>>
What's the closest country to Japan in terms of prostitution culture?
>>
The most common advice I hear for international flights is that you should arrive at the airport 2-3 hours early. Heard it for years, and many people stand by it.

What I'd like to know is, what external factors are taken into consideration? If you've already checked in online (which you can usually do 24-48 hours in advance), downloaded/printed your boarding pass, and you have no large luggage to check, can you afford to arrive at the airport a little bit later?
>>
What happened to Sergey Baklakov? He's disappeared since a year ago.
>>
Do you need to print your boarding pass for wizz or just have it on your phone?
>>
>>2363693
it's mostly to factor in getting through security. if you have everything you listed AND something like TSAPre and Global Entry then you can probably pull off getting there an hour before boarding.
>>
>>2341464
Where are you coming from? North or East?
>>
Is it true that Turkey is a particularly shit place to visit as a woman because of Islam?
I've heard of women being harassed by locals for being by themselves in ways that reminds me of what I've seen happens in India
>>
>>2363693
In my experience, the most stupidly time consuming event for international flight is the check-in counter.
Especially if they don’t allow online or self check-in for some dumb fucking reason. For some stupid reason, people ALWAYS have issues with their luggage at the counter, while it usually takes up to 2 minutes at most for me.
Last time I went to Japan it took me about 1.5 hour to reach the counter.
If there’s self-check in (usually it’s the national carrier that does that)then no need to come too early.

So if you can do online check-in and skip luggage registration, theorically, yes, you can come a bit later.
>>
how do you not feel like an autistic retard when solo travelling. i feel so retarded not understanding mandarin and not being able 2 properly pronounce words
>>
>>2364557
North.
I already went and came back lmao but I'm open to any suggestions you may have, I liked the nightlife and want to go again soon.
>>
have been trying to decide what to do about laundry for my backpacking trip (as frugally as possible) and I think I reached a conclusion
>30 day trip
>buy cheap 10 pack of black t-shirts
>wear 3 days each then throw away
>only have to clean socks and underwear
>wear good denim jeans so not worried about them
>socks and underwear are merino wool so dry quick and take 3 or 4 days to smell
>can wash them in hostel shower then just hang from my bag to dry while I walk
thots?
>>
I want to visit Portugal.

What cities should I visit to experience this country? I am looking for beaches, ancient architecture, historical places.
What's the cost of living/car rental?
Is Portugal crypto friendly?
Should I learn portugese or I'll be fine with english?
>>
>>2365053
https://www.amazon.com/Scrubba-Wash-Bag-Portable-Backpacking/dp/B01N68XF0O/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=bucket%2Bwashboard%2Bfor%2Bclothes&qid=1669717121&sr=8-13&th=1

just use a fucking sink bro.
>>
>>2365052
do you like to drink?
>>
File: PCH Route.png (178 KB, 1092x705)
178 KB
178 KB PNG
>>2365052
Okay bro, Imma hook you and all the other non-california anons up with the quintessential cali-boy PCH road trip. complete with some hidden gems that are typically locals only kind of things.

Gonna assume you're starting off in the bay area, if you aren't its worth popping through San Fran just to run over the golden gate bridge and do the touristy shit around china town etc. The stretch of the PCH north of SF is gorgeous, but mostly just forest and some kooky tourist traps left over from the 1950-1970's.

Anyways, first stop for the night is Big Sur. You have to see this place, its gorgeous. Pfeiffer and Andrew Molera beaches aren't exactly hidden gems but still worth seeing.

Day 2 you are going to continue down the PCH . Couple a cool things to see; Hearst Castle is meh and overpriced but boomers seem to like it. Elephant Seal beach is a better use of time imo. Anyways, once you hit SLO you don't have to stick to the 1 and can cut through the 101.

On the 101, once you hit Pismo beach you gotta make a choice, you can either cut east and then south on the 166/33 which takes you through Ojai/Ventura or continue south through Solvang and on to Santa Barbara/Ventura.

If you like to drive the twisties and have a sporty car, I'd take the 166/33 route. Probably some of the funnest road driving you'll ever do. Also, there's a hillbilly "shooting area" littered with shells and all kinds of weird garbage/targets right off cherry creek rd on the 33. If you bring your gun and a couple boxes of ammo, its pretty cool. blink and you'll miss the turn out. Stop for food and a beer at the Deer Lodge.

If you choose to cut down through Santa Barbara, depending on the day/time of year, you might be able to wander the campus housing of UCSB. Because this is 4chan I'm just going to assume none of you can pull off wandering into a college house party so just skip it.

would be a good late lunch stop, kinda kooky to see a dutch village in the middle of cali like that.
>>
>>2365268
Night 2 I recommend Ventura. Get fucking shit housed at San Souci's and catch a concert at the Ventura Theater. Lots of local bands and some big bands play there, very sleepy surfer town with a chill vibe. If you actually want to stay on the beach, find an AirBnB on Silverstrand Beach. The surfing is really good here and you don't gotta worry too much about getting your ass beat by locals.

Get up earlyish on day 3 and go down to Santa Monica. I'd stay in SM or in Malibu and daytrip into LA proper. You don't want to actually stay in LA. Uber it right up Sunset blvd and bar hop, getting wasted and stumbling sunset is a right of passage in LA.

Day 4 I'd cruise down south a bit more into Corona Del Mar and go check out Little Corona. It's one of the most active tide pools you'll ever see filled with starfish, urchins, all kinds of cool sea life that you can pick up and touch. From there you can pop up into Orange County and go do Disneyland or w/e. Me personally, I think Knotts Berry Farm during the day and a trip through the wax museum and a night at Medieval Times is a way better value for your buck.

You can keep going south on the PCH till you hit San Diego but aside from the gaslight district and all the military shit, was never really fond of it or had much to say.
>>
>>2365250
>spend $50 on a gay laundry bag that I have to wash my laundry by hand in
>vs spend $10 on 10 shirts that require no physical effort to maintain because I throw them away
yeah I'll get right on that
cringe

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.