[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

I'm going to Dublin next week. Staying in a hostel right in the center of the city. I'll be there for a few days.

Do any Irish anons or travelers have advice for me?
Any places I could visit? Any pubs? Should I go out to the rural areas and make a daytrip out of it?
>>
>>2330109
What kind of things interest you: history, museums, etc.? Give us a few more pointers and it'll be easier to recc some places.

>Pubs
Personal pub I like is the Black Sheep. Their buttermilk chicken is fantastic.

Don't drink anywhere near Temple Bar, it's overpriced and touristy. Especially avoid "The Temple Bar", which is the most touristy pub of them all (Protip: Temple Bar is not named after the pub, it's named after a dude called William Temple).
>>
>>2330124
I love history/museums.

I'd like to see some Irish scenery outside of the city as well. Maybe hike a bit?

>Personal pub I like is the Black Sheep. Their buttermilk chicken is fantastic.
Gotcha

>Don't drink anywhere near Temple Bar, it's overpriced and touristy. Especially avoid "The Temple Bar", which is the most touristy pub of them all (Protip: Temple Bar is not named after the pub, it's named after a dude called William Temple).
Noted, thank you.
>>
>>2330131

>museums
Personal favourites would be the national museums around town (check out the natural history museum, it's dubbed the "dead zoo" and pretty cool) . They're all free too since they're government-run.

>hiking
You could take the train down to Bray in south Dublin and hike up the Brat's head. It's barely a mountain (600m) but gives a great view. If you want to go a bit further out, about an hour from Dublin is Glendalough. I do the miner's way there every once in a while, a nice 4 hour hike with some great views.

Small tip for Dublin: Go into any Spar and buy yourself a Leap Card. It's a card you charge up to pay for all public transport; busses, trams (Luas) and local trains (Dart). Makes getting around a lot easier.
>>
>>2330170
perfect, thank you
>>
>>2330170
Jesus I should check my spellings
>Bray head, not brat
It's also 600 feet, not meters.

Another place I should mention:
Howth in North Dublin is a nice seaside place with great food and a great walk along the cliffs.
>>
>>2330109
Piggy backing off this post. I'm heading to Ireland for five days, then flying to Birmingham/Manchester for the weekend and then to northern Ireland. Anyone got suggestions on comfy towns around the island or around the Birmingham/Manchester area? Things to do in Belfast?
>>
>>2330186
it's not disgusting like dystopian america
>>
>>2331023
Dont respond to the tradcel poster. Everywhere is big, bad, and scary besides his small midwestern American shithole town.
>>
>>2330109
I went there a few weeks back for a few days. Didn't see a huge amount, but imo:
>Overrated: the Guinness tour, Dublin "castle"
>Pretty cool: kilmainham gaol (if you're interested in Irish revolutionary history. I loved it), the Irish emigration museum
The best pub I found was one called the cobblestone. There was live traditional music from late afternoon until night and although it still has a fair amount of tourists, it was a little bit out of the way which meant it was nowhere near as bad as the pubs in temple bar.
>>
Gonna hijack this thread as I (not OP) just found out I need to go to Cork for a couple weeks for work.
I've been to Dublin a few times and it's nice, but what should I know about Cork?
>>
>>2331023
not yet lol i'd sooner spend a few days in belfast than i would in dublin
>>
>>2330109

personally I liked the kilmainham gaol museum, which is basically a prison. was really cool to see such a thing from the inside. I would avoid the temple bar region. maybe okay to walk through the area taking pics for the obligatory tourist shit but in general it's basically a shitload of tourist, many of which weirdly italian. sure there's a banjo player in the corner but it's overpriced and certainly not genuine. I did enjoy the guinness storehouse and the jameson distillery though

>>2331763

cork isn't that special from a tourist's point of view but a nice enough a place. i can't recall any particular highlights but I did have a great time meeting people there. it's also pretty close to a spectacular region suitable for hiking. couple of years back me and my mates used cork as a base of operation out of which we planned a couple of multiple day hiking trips. way more relaxed and genuine than dublin
>>
>>2330109
Most important question on this tread. How is the cooming in Dublin? Any 10/10 lays?
>>
>>2330109

Dublin is like any other globohomo anglosphere city. There are some accidentally neat bits (the gaol they go on about is worth visiting, the uni had a couple of interesting collections of stuff) but lots of it is just like being at home. Temple Bar and Guinness factory are tourist traps but it's fun to play along with the normies sometimes

Attractive bits of Ireland for hiking are mostly on the west coast, a bit of a pain to get to and some people still actually speak Irish out there (not just performatively like folk in Dublin). If you get nice weather the views out over the Atlantic are outstanding.

>>2332550

Irish girls get pregnant just by looking at them
>>
>>2330109
Can someone explain to me why this shit hole is so expensive? I was considering moving there since its visa period is ok with my country but holy shit just doing some quick lookups and that place is just as expensive as miami and la
>>
>>2332635
Honestly I don't know. Our prices are almost as bad as London. Could be because google, etc. all have their offices here.

>>2332464
>>2331367
The Guiness tour is pretty shit, I'd recommend the Jameson distillery tour over it any day.
>>
>>2332635
It's a tax haven for american globohomo faang companies
>>
>>2332737
>faang
Fat
Ass
Angry
Nigger
Gangs
>>
unrelated but, I was born in Ireland and my dad is American. Well, I'm a dual citizen but raised in the USA.

Does that mean I can just live in Europe if I want to as long as it's part of the EU? Or do I have to leave countries after a certain amount of time.
>>
>>2330109
The word "Travelers" has a different meaning here
>>
>>2334692
Yes you are also an EU citizen if you have Irish citizenship.
>>
>>2332737
their money being their with the irish sandwich or whatever doesn't explain the prices. just cause their money goes through there doesn't mean any of it is getting spent there
>>
Isn't it a full of Africans. Where are you coming from? Please don't tell me you're travelling from across the world for this.
>>
>>2330964
near manchester you need to go to wigan or bolton to get a pie butty/pasty barm, the apogee of british culinary engineering
>>
>>2334700
crusty jugglers
>>
>>2330173
I really recommend the walk around Howth's head. Great view of Dublin across the bay, a martello tower, and that real "mist off the ocean" feeling. Howth itself is a very satisfying little harbor town to end a long hike in.
>>
>>2330109
Ireland's cities are all bland and devoid of history or attractive architecture. If you're visiting the country, stick to the countryside and enjoy the ancient monastic sites and proper pubs
>>
>>2336162
A GREAT BIG BEARD

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.