[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: kermit relaxClothes.jpg (70 KB, 570x570)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Maybe not obsessed, but perhaps a country you wish to visit?

For example, I'm obsessed about the Soviet Union or Russia in general. I don't even know why.

I remember, the first time I found out about Russia and the Soviet Union. I could've been 8 years old. it was inside a school, in Europe, we have something called - Day of European languages. And for some reason, we were given Russia.

I loved it. I loved the language. The culture. Fell in love. We sang some song. I still remember it like it happened yesterday. Then every now and then I learned something. Nothing so much was happening until around the age of 15. I began learning Russian, read about the culture and month after my 18 birthday, I visited Georgia. Now I'm 21. My Russian is nowhere near perfect, frankly it's shit, but I still fancy the era. I don't even know why. Just the whole imperialism. The history behind all of it. Bit of religion. The way people are attached to their country. And the language... The language is blast for my ears. Lol. My mother says she hates it with passion.

It's weird I know. I wish I could understand it. Why not other country? I don't know. Maybe nostalgia to my own child-hood. Grey commie blocks. Ugly children playgrounds. :D
>>
Sovietaboos better hurry up to visit Soviet cities before they get bombed or gentrified.
It will only accelerate from now on.
>>
>>2330081
I'm very sad now with the war. I wanted to take a trip all around Ukraine... Hopefully they won't fuck up Georgia. Politics aside, would still visit Russia.
>>
>>2330127
All major cities. It can't be much worse than what I grew up in. We slavs are used to some extreme shit.
>>
>>2330060
Western Roman Empire region
>>
>>2330060
For me, it's former Yugoslavia. I was a teenager while it was breaking up, and I remember hearing about the humanitarian crisis in school and on the news, and I remember when the CIA, NATO, and a nasty group of drug trafficking, terrorist, Albanian rape enthusiasts collaborated to create the so-called "Republic of Kosovo".

I didn't really think much about the place until some time later when I heard a Michael Parenti speech where, among other things, he discussed the US plan to break up Yugoslavia and some of the lies that were used to justify the NATO campaign against Serbia (I really should buy a copy of the book he wrote on the subject). Then, I started to learn on my own about Tito and the non-aligned movement and workers' self management, and I thought it was pretty cool.

I grew up in the US, but I'm now lucky enough to live 1.5 hour drive from the Serbian border, and I've had a chance to visit a few times. So far, I have been to Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, and Slovenia. I would like to visit Montenegro and Macedonia in the future. I've really liked my visits to Serbia (Belgrade not so much) and Bosnia. I definitely also plan to visit them many more times.

I probably should learn more Serbian (I know a few basic phrases), but I feel weird about learning a foreign language when I still don't properly speak the language of the country I live in now.
>>
>>2330510
>i grew up in the best and cleanes part of the world, now i live in an eastern european shithole
yeah
>>
>>2330060
South America. More specifically the south part of Argentina and Chile. They do feel like the edge of the world and civilization and I hope to visit it sometime
>>
>>2330596
Yeah, it's not a bad experience for a young adult.
>>
>>2330510
Where are you now, Budapest? Do you work a job / how do you sustain yourself? I'm from the US and moving to Europe also, EE or balkans.
>>
>>2330060
SEAttle
>>
>>2330866
>I'm from the US and moving to Europe also, EE or balkans
why are amerimutts so retarded?
>>
>>2330944
if you had the money to afford USA suburban life in a civilized populated area, what could you afford in EE?
>>
File: 1561363426632.png (121 KB, 420x420)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>tfw you will never be a real new yorker, or even live there at all because you have no skills to immigrate with
>tfw you spent all of your money going there and have been questioned by border police since you keep going there
>>
>>2330060
Been to 25 countries... but went back to Italy 7 times. It has
>the canals of Venice
>the soft artistic beauty of Florence, my 2nd fav city in the world
>One of the historical, spiritual, and archeological wet dreams of the world
>Coastal cities/islands like Sorrento, Capri, etc.
>Great food
>General friendly people if you're not a stupid tourist
>homely cities in the country that have charm
Italy has everything I could ask for.
>>
>>2330968
>money to afford USA suburban life in a civilized populated area
nobody gives you that in a post communist shithole, maybe one tenth of that
to live in a dilapidated commieblock
>>
>>2331009
You actually liked Florence? I thought it was pretty boring and gay. Did bang a hot Iranian broad there though.
I do agree though, went to Italy for the first time this year, then went to Sicily this summer. I'd go back to Italy in a heartbeat, I think it has the most to offer for the most ease and convenience out of anywhere in the world.
Also, now the Meloni about to be at the helm it's poised to become based again for the first time since Berlusconi (she might even be more based than him, and she's a woman which is unheard of)
>>
>>2330968
We can afford to live in your Old Town areas and dine out three times a day, maybe that's what you don't understand. You also might not appreciate how boring it is to live in a suburb, and how devoid of young people it is
>>
>>2331084 meant for >>2330944
>>
>>2331078
I loved the flowery art of the churches - eating at Buca Mario’s, walking around in a nice spring night while looking at the beautiful quiet squares. I love how the city is arranged so that it’s difficult for there to be much vehicle traffic. The city is an a epicenter of art and art history in general. It’s right on the countryside. Lots more.

Just those Arab peddlers ruin it.
>>
"Asia"
First went to another country in 2018 to visit a friend in Seoul, also went to China and Japan.
18 months later Vietnam and Cambodia to get another fix.
Now looking at Thailand and a few more SEA countries. Hoping to do South Asia after that.
I figured I'd enjoy my first trip and after that I'd go to Europe or something, but the unfamiliarity of these countries is really exciting and I've learnt a lot about the culture and history which I never knew anything about. I feel like pic related but born right on time to visit Asia comfortably but before its too westernised.
>>
File: ab2.jpg (92 KB, 600x832)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2331136
Forgot pic
>>
>>2330866
I'm in rural Hungary about a half hour drive to the edge of Budapest. I really like living here. It reminds me of living in a small town in the US before all went to shit.

I'm a software engineer. When I moved here, I worked remotely, and, while the pay was way better than local salaries, it got a little bit boring and lonely. Now I work for a local company with an office in Budapest that I can visit when I feel like it (usually twice a week). Pay is lower than software engineer pay in the US, but I still earn significantly more than the average worker in Hungary, western Europe, or the US.

I own my house here free & clear (and there's no property tax), am debt free, and have enough savings that, if my company closed today, I could live comfortably for a few years before needing to find another job. I couldn't say the same thing in the US. Having that kind of security gives immense peace of mind.

EE or Balkans sounds like a good plan to me. Economy in Hungary is still going pretty strong, despite EU meddling, with a 3.5% unemployment rate. Definitely look at the Balkan countries outside the EU-- you won't be a second-class foreigner (as non-EU nationals are in EU countries), and the local cuisine is better.

>>2330596
>>2330944
Yep, I'm a retard. You should stay away from eastern European shitholes. There's nothing for you here.
>>
>>2331365
How does it work for in person office stuff with the language barriers?
>>
>>2330060
i'm obsessed with how shitty the philippines is
I thought it would be like sex disneyland
>>
>>2331366
I'm lucky enough to work in software, where it's pretty common for the working language to be English. I'm learning Hungarian, but it's not an easy language. We actually just had a few people relocate here from another office, so it looks like we'll get Hungarian language classes through work, which is cool.

In the software field, at least, English as working language seems to be pretty standard. I could choose from a few different job offers in Budapest with English as a working language, had previous job offers in Poland and Czech Republic also in English, and I collaborated closely with a company in Croatia that also worked in English.

Outside of official work at the office, for just social conversations, people speak the language that they prefer to use at the time. Hungarians will typically speak Hungarian to each other but switch to English in mixed company.
>>
surpise surprise it's a burger with a bong fetish here.
>>
File: 7-Victor-Place0027.png (1.7 MB, 1000x668)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB PNG
>>2330060
I'm eager to one day move to Northern Queensland, AU.

I grew up in PNG, my father was an avid bushwalker and he would take me up to the bushes around Port Moresby as a kid.

I visited his friends once, in 2005 up near Kuranda. After seeing their home, how cozy and tucked away it was in the forest, it's been a dream of mine.
>>
>>2331010
Of course not, you save up the money in the first world and move to the third world with passive income.
>>
I really want to go to Cuba

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.