[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 63 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File: 1403045342931.jpg (9 KB, 250x166)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Change your life edition!
The only good thread on /trv/!

Is the age of TEFL over ? What is the situation in China, SEA, etc ?

https://www.tefl.org/
>>
>>2328393
Is there a market for TEFLing in Panama? I'd love to teach there, but I haven't seen many jobs online
>>
File: selfie.jpg (83 KB, 900x477)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>2329008
Yoo panama is great
>>
I failed the interview for JET last year do I have to change all the writing for the online form this time? Do they check? I'm too fucking lazy to reword every single thing because not too much has changed in just 1 year, except for 1 extra year of experience.
>>
>>2329012
did you just post yourself on 4chin? lmao
>>
>>2329008
In the elite private schools that cater to the country's wealthy maybe.
>>
>>2328393
The most retarded and undesirable whites are ESL fags that teach in SEA. They think making $2000 a month living in a shithole country is "making it" while their peers make 6 figures and blaze through them.

The other day I saw a mid 40s, grey hair ESL faggot teaching english. He has a tired expression on his face like Gill from the Simpsons ... imagine being in your mid 40s and making $2K a month. LOL!
>>
>>2329073
It's not your life and it doesn't affect you, so why do you care?
>>
>>2329152
I do not care. But I sure as fuck won't be talking to them losers.

Observation =/= caring
>>
>>2329156
If you didn't care then you wouldn't have brought it up in the first place. It's sounds like you're desperate for a "win" in life. That or you're really frustrated at TEFL teachers for some reason that you won't admit. Regardless, if you don't care then why even come into the thread?
>>
>>2329073
>>2329156
You're literally in every ESL/TEFL thread. You have an obsession with them and they live rent free in your mind 24/7. Get a life already.
>>
>>2329032
newfag
>>
>>2329178
And? Why do you care this much about what other people do with their lives? I don't even think about you, but you clearly have me in your mind 24/7. What a freak.
>>
>>2329201
No. You are the freak for thinking about me and calling me out, stupid $2K a month faggot
>>
>>2329202
If that were the case then you wouldn't be here. My point has been proven, now fuck off or continue to prove me right.
>>
>>2329204
Nobody gives a shit, you ESL faggot. Don't you have to drive to a third world shithole and teach little kids tomorrow?

PS here is a tip: learn a skill that is harder than speaking a language you grew up with, maybe, just maybe, you'll earn more money
>>
>>2329225
>Nobody gives a shit
You clearly do. Thanks for your continued effort to prove me right day in and day out. Thanks for the free headspace.
>>
>>2329227
>Enjoy being a middle aged ESL faggot.

I will. I'm happy with my life. It's a little weird that you care about how I live my life as well. How about you do you and I'll do me. Sound good?
>>
>>2329228
You little fucking retard, I couldn't give a shit how you live your life. But you and your ESL demographics, as an aggregate, is a net negative for society because your degenerate fucks that do drugs and fuck hookers then teach kids.
>>
>>2329229
>I couldn't give a shit how you live your life
Yet here you are.
>>
>>2329032
>>2329190
not only that
>he thinks there are women here
>>
>>2329230
That's all I have to say. Now enjoy your gay little life living in a third world shit hole.
>>
>>2329232
>That's all I have to say.
I doubt that.

>Now enjoy your gay little life
I plan on it.
>>
>>2329229
>But you and your ESL demographics, as an aggregate, is a net negative for society because your degenerate fucks that do drugs and fuck hookers then teach kids.
Where is the problem here?
>>
>>2329073
He's having sex with the local children so it's a win his book desu
>>
File: Skwisgaar Skwigelf.jpg (26 KB, 400x400)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>2329229
This reads like pic related speaks. Did you fail your ESL class or something?
>>
File: ChadThai.png (113 KB, 506x341)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>2329239
Sounds based.
>>
>>2329229
These fuckwits have been shitting up the last 2 ESL threads with their back and forth for weeks now.
This one must have flubbed the JET application. It’s pathetic.
>>
>>2329073
imagine being this obsessed with money
>>
>>2329359
Not him and not obsessed with money but ESL teachers always talk up the profession like it's a huge life upgrade when they're making $1300 a month and a free studio apartment. How are you supposed to come back to your home country with anything after making a salary that low. If you're doing it for the adventure that's one thing but living in the third world is only worth it if you're making an American level salary in a low CoL country. $1800 a month in Thailand isn't that.
>>
>>2329017
best way to pass a JET interview now is to really sperg about how much you love Japan in your writing. During the interview, show them that you're liberal leaning. You'll pass.
>>
>>2329356
I'm starting to think it's just bots arguing with each other.
>>
>>2329373
most of those people have no plans on returning unless they specifically make it a gap year after college or they learn another skill during teaching. I know a guy who taught in Japan for like 5 years while doing online lawyer school. Moved back to the states and is in his final year or some shit.
>>
>>2329073
I had an ESL job in Taiwan but gave up on it. I'm 32 and think I need some real skills. I know I can survive on an ESL salary, but getting stuck teaching ESL for a lifetime seems so soul sucking. Probably wouldn't be bad if I learned something while teaching. Had a bad experience teaching in Japan in my late 20's.
>>
>>2329377
I think it’s just the one guy who’s upset that people can make good money teaching English in Vietnam
>>
>>2329408
jannies just need to do their job
>>
>>2329381
>Had a bad experience teaching in Japan in my late 20's.

what happened? did u get to bang your students?
>>
File: crazydogomg.jpg (24 KB, 523x586)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>2329487
Nah no banging. My boss (the owner) was nuts and was borderline trying to get into a relationship with me and other stuff. She was a skeleton looking older woman (60+) who had never left home. We had no curriculum, no lesson plans, and barely any supplies. Every day was stressful as fuck trying to figure out what we were doing as we were doing it. By the time I left she was trying to add more classes onto my schedule for the same pay. Fuck that.
>>
>>2329381
check out some free tutorials online for different web/online/ computer skills and see what seems easy or interesting. Just pick something.
>>
>>2328393
For ants?
>>
>>2329626
I guess she was ugly. Some 60 Japanese women are still OK. And yeah, private English schools in Japan are just that, they hire anyone even if they are not teachers.
>>
File: 1645721105759.jpg (122 KB, 1000x1555)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>2329833
Yeah I been researching free (or low cost) certs and programs. I already have my A+ and N+.
>>2329844
Yeah she ugly. It was just too much trying to turn nothing into something every day with no prep and immediately on the spot.
>>
>>2329356
It's probably the one you messaged since he's the one freaking out over a profession that he claims he doesn't care about.
>>
The unique bump hasn't increased since >>2329073 started posting. That means the exact same poster is making multiple postings as a samefag. This faggot is literally arguing with one or two people but is pretending to be four or five people. The sheer volume of damage control and seething coming from this one poster in the last few weeks is insane. Mods, do your fucking job already. At this point, it's just a /b/ thread and doesn't belong on /trv/.
>>
>>2330145
>obsessed with someone he deems as lesser
>>
>>2330145
You've already stated "that's all I have to say" yet you're still here. Get a fucking life already.

>INB4 "that's not me, tee hee"
Sure, that's why the bump hasn't increased in the past six hours.
>>
>>2330130
I honestly don’t get how he can be so upset about people making good money teaching English when it has no effect on his life
>>
What does it mean when my TA keeps buying me snacks and milk tea every day. Is this some sort of "workplace respect for elders" in Asia? Am I meant to be returning the favour ?
>>
So much of celta-esque tefl philosophy feels kind of egotistical to me, like it’s about the teacher wanting to feel like the magician pulling the rabbit out of the hat instead of any benefit to the student. Like, “no you can’t just tell them the word and then explain what it is, you have to do your very special explanation and THEN tell them the word”.

Is this just me? Every teacher trainer I’ve ever met has been the exact same vibe of guy, nice and passionate but really high on their own supply.
>>
>>2330500
>So much of celta-esque tefl philosophy feels kind of egotistical to me
"Celta-esque tefl philosophy"? You mean pedagogy you fucking moron? As in, evidence-based teaching practices and methodology?

It seems egotistical to you because you're insecure about your own lack of knowledge and formal education. Eliciting techniques are well-researched and tested; assuming that they don't benefit the student just because you're too lazy to make the effort makes you sound like an arrogant retard.
>>
I am an arrogant retard, yes, and not being self denying enough to be able to sink deep into the teacher role is part of why I’m getting out of the gig soon
I’m just dubious it works, you could just as easily say that fronting the word means that all the time you are explaining, the students are building pathways between the meaning and the word.
>>
>>2328393
I DUNNO IF ITS OVER OR COUNTRIES JUST MADE REGULATIONS A BIT MORE STRICT. PEOPLE ARE STILL TEACHING AND COMING OVER ALTHOUGH NOT EVEN 20% OF WHAT IT USED TO BE.

IN VIETNAM CURRENTLY.

FOR THOSE WONDERING ITS A GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO TRAVEL LEARN NEW THINGS SEE AND EXPERIENCE PLACES AND ITS NOT SO DIFFICULT TO DO. THE CLASS THAT IS. TEACHING CAN BE INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT. REALLY DEPENDS ON THE PERSON AS WITH ANYTHING ELSE.

SPENT ABOUT $1200 ON A TEFL COURSE IN THAILAND. ASIAN COLLEGE OF TEACHERS. MONTH LONG COURSE SUPER CHILL AND EASY. LOTS OF FUN AND FULL OF AMAZING PEOPLE. ABOUT 20PEOPLE IN THE CLASS.

THERE ARE RULES AND REGULATIONS IN COUNTRIES. GETTING A TEFL DOES NOT EQUAL A JOB. HUSTLING AND LOOKING AROUND IS REQUIRED. ESPECIALLY FOR THE NICE TOP NOTCH SCHOOLS.

JOBS CAN BE FOUND BUT EVERYTHING WILL BE UNDER THE TABLE AND CAN BE A HASSLE. I LEFT BANKOK AND WENT ABOUT 4 HOURS INTO THE COUNTRYSIDE.

LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE. EVERYTHING IN MY WORLD CHANGED OVER THAT SUMMER. HAVENT LEFT ASIA SINCE

WANT MORE INFO JUST ASK.
>>
>>2330500
The "high on their own supply" term perfectly fits most TEFLers and CELTA folks. Literally every single one I've ever worked with or had to deal with has been a complete narcissist. I like the profession, but I hate the majority of the ones I've met. Most of the time they're generally not good people. What I've said is completely anecdotal, but that observation has yet to be proven wrong.
>>
>>2330524
sounds like u dont have a degree
>>
>>2329373
you forget some of us were born in the 3rd world already. I'm literally making more money at 1.5k (for less hours) than I was back home as a microbiologist (950, with unpaid overtime).
Japan is a massive leap relative to Portugal or Eastern Europe, both in QoL and salary.
I appreciate that they are trying to be competitive for native americans with their offers, since unless you are a weeb the downgrade isn't worth it, but that just means that for those of use who are bilingual from a poorer country TEFL is a godsend.
I have colleagues finishing their internship in medical school back in Lisbon earning less than I am, and with a smaller salary cap as well.
(Not to mention the shitshow with housing prices and now rising fuel costs too).
I wouldn't take 1800$ a month in Thailand over my current gig, but it absolutely counts as "making it" too, when you're from PIGS countries.
>>
>>2330819
How is it to work in Asia as a non-anglo teaching English? I've heard there's a significant bias against non-white native English speakers and non-native English speakers in general so you won't get hired at all but the least desirable places, but that's mostly what I hear online on 4chan and on Youtube videos which may not be the most reliable sources.
>>
>>2330646
>The "high on their own supply" term perfectly fits most TEFLers and CELTA folks.

Mostly applies to Anglo fags who think teaching english to 3rd world kids is the most important mission on earth ... then they have sex with said students.

Fuck anglo faggots.
>>
>>2330819
Good grief. You're a slavic with a thick accent teaching english xD. there's a few Kazakhstans teaching english in SEA ... wtf is up with that. they gonna teach english in their thick russian accents?
>>
>>2330646
>The "high on their own supply" term perfectly fits most TEFLers and CELTA folks.

They have the white savior complex. The 30 year old Anglo TEFL loser has to compensate for his $2K a month income while his peers back home make $100K
>>
>>2331394
>>2331396
>>2331398
Seriously though mods need to do their job
>>
>>2331470
cry more esl fag. the truth hurts?
>>
File: 1663223551808443.png (646 KB, 576x512)
646 KB
646 KB PNG
>Student in one of my online classes uses a picture of 9/11 as his virtual background
>>
>>2331484
based
>>
I am fed up with never ending applications for jobs. Which country has high wages, desperation for native English speakers, not a 40+ hour slave, and helps with accommodation, and WILL hire you long term? I am an American BTW. I know some countries like in Europem only want British English teachers. Which is fine, but where are American teachers more en vogue?
>>
There's lot of yanks/Canadians in Poland where I am, some of them are long-timers
Can't promise much else, hours shouldn't be too bad and they are happy to help with accom. Place I'm at was too overbearing if anything, had to be pretty insistent to convince them I would make my own way from the airport etc to where I was heading
>>
>>2331396
if you were literate you'd have grasped that I am iberian, not slavic.
I've always been asked which state I'm from, not country, so I'm pretty sure my accent, while nondescript, is effectively native.
>>2330819
i am caucasian, so I don't know about racial preference, but generally if you are western or central european you are held in high enough regard.

where you may need to lie is indeed about being a "native" English speaker - in my experience you need to assert you are a native, end of discussion, and stand by that.
>I spoke the language growing up, with family, and I'm bilingual
>I actually think in English, not Portuguese
stuff like that. just flat out claim you are a native speaker, regardless of nationality, and if your fluency is up to scratch they'll believe you.
(assuming you really have N-like C2 proficiency)
The problem is generally in getting selected for the interview in the first place without the right nationality, so you'll need a strong CV to get you to the top of the pile ahead of most Americans: a respectable TEFL cert. like Trinity or CELTA, maybe even the DELTA, and/or work experience with big players like IH or BC.
At that point no one is questioning your fluency, so the playing field evens out.
But if you're gonna try to compete with Australians and Americans with an online TEFL certificate then yeah, you can forget it.
>>
File: todaiji.jpg (108 KB, 1080x781)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>2330823
meant to reply to you here >>2333012
>>
>>2332883
in Asia they tend to prefer American accents over British ones, I assume due to proximity and regional relevance, so there you go
but from my experience even back in Europe, unless you're literally teaching ESL to immigrants in the U.K., no one actively prefers the king's english over american english; if anything, they also preferred the more international american accent from the movies
>>
What is it like being a coomer as a TEFL monkey? Do you guys bang a lot of girls or just settle down with one qt until you leave?
>>
>>2330524
>SPENT ABOUT $1200 ON A TEFL COURSE IN THAILAND.
>not just getting a Groupon cert for 20 bucks

Lmao
>>
>>2329073
There's a Gill in every school and training center. But seriously, their life would usually be much worse back home.
>>2329626
I worked in a cram school in Korea and I was banging one of the VPs. Or I should say, she was banging me - I had no choice, but it was my first year and I just wanted to save money and was glad to bust a nut once a week.
>>2330646
>Literally every single one I've ever worked with or had to deal with has been a complete narcissist.
The guys who spend all their time going around looking for other expats and try to hook onto them while giving non-stop "advice" about the country are a minority, but unfortunately they're the most visible TEFLers other expats will meet.
>>2333012
>where you may need to lie is indeed about being a "native" English speaker - in my experience you need to assert you are a native, end of discussion, and stand by that.
I've worked with a couple of guys who are not native speakers. They were cool and basically 100% fluent, so if locals ever asked me about their accents I'd say it was due to them being bilingual.
>>2333647
>not just getting a Groupon cert for 20 bucks
To be fair, for someone who never left their home country and has money to spend, $1200 for a month-long acclimatization course in Thailand isn't a bad investment. I never did it though - my groupon cost me $30.
>>
>>2333629
>What is it like being a coomer as a TEFL monkey? Do you guys bang a lot of girls or just settle down with one qt until you leave?
Depends on your personality and energy level. I'd say most guys flip between both. The number of men who go and teach in another country and don't hook up with any women at all is a ridiculously tiny minority, and they're probably just good at hiding that they're gay, into ladyboys or chomos. Even the big fat smelly neckbeard is going to find a girl who thinks his pasty white belly skin is like shiny porcelain, or that his neckbeard whiskers make him a modern day Genghis Khan. Any guy who puts even a little effort into it can be a playboy and rack up a body count, and many new teachers will do this, but eventually their real personality asserts and they settle down with one girl.
>>
>>2333667
Being a coomer for a year sounds tempting when you put it like that. I've only ever had two long-term girlfriends, and now that I have a passive income, kinda want to fuck off and make up for lost time. I'm 26 and feel like I've barely lived.
>>
>>2333671
I've got a passive income too and that's why I love TEFL. I'm well into my second decade of it. Teaching isn't for everyone - some guys really do thrive on climbing the corporate ladder, and for teaching to be an easy job you need a certain type of personality. But it gets easier as you get older. I love living in different places around the world, and having another income means I don't feel trapped and I feel secure in my eventual retirement. And most of all, I love women, and living in Asia ruined women in my home country for me. I never worked in Europe but friends have told me the same thing after living there.
>>
>>2333684
What countries have you taught in, and which did you enjoy the most?
>>
>>2333689
Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan.
I like Vietnam the best but all the Asian countries have their advantages. Saudi Arabia was the worst, but a year there paid for my second house. Kazakhstan was a distant second worst (not too bad, but not good for women unless you like grumpy hookers).
>>
>>2332883
Do you have a BA? Vietnam probably pays the best and you don’t have to work that much compared to other places
>>
>>2333894
How many hours do you teach in Vietnam?

My dream is to work something like 4 day weeks but still earn around 2k
USD a month.
>>
>>2329073
I owned a school in China before the crackdown. One day while I was walking a new teacher around town a White dude in his late 40s or 50s approached us while we waited at the street light. The city I was in was quite small so seeing another foreigner was rare. The dude just looked at us for a good 30 seconds. Then asked why I was in town. I told him I owned a private school and that is what I do. He visibly upset and said "no that's not your school that's <my schools headmaster name>'s school". I told him he was only the head master and I was the one that owned it. Turns out he was some bitter public school worker, life long ESLr that never made anything for himself. I taught English myself for a year back in 2010, but I moved on to other things. That's what ESL teaching is for, a temporary life event before moving on to something else.
>>
>>2329073
Ahahahah I agree. I started as an au pair to travel, instead of finishing uni, and pay was abysmal but I had housing and gained experience. I used that to get tutoring jobs, because people trust you and recommend you to everyone they know. And you end up freelancing for $4000 a month. No contract with schools, no bosses, no early mornings. And then from that you can work for high profile families that pay you $5000 up to $8000 a month. You travel vip, housing covered, only deal with one or two children, all without being a sexpat loser.

It is however lonely, need to make local friends fast, join classes with peers.
>>
>>2329379
tell me more about the online law school?
I would also like to do this, is it legit?
>>
>>2333896
I teach 20 hrs a week which is considered full time. You can definitely make 2k to start off
>>
>>2333921
>I started as an au pair to travel, instead of finishing uni
>all without being a sexpat loser.
Be quiet roastie, men are talking.
>>
>>2333896
People are still looking at wages with 2018 glasses. 2k is really 1k now and to live a decent life that is fucking nothing. Fuck Biden with his retarded neo-con policies, fuck Europe for being naive idiots who encourage American and Russian imperialism, fuck Xi for the ESl crackdown, fuck Putin and fuck the Jews (Zelensky).
>>
>>2328393
>What is the situation in China, SEA, etc ?
The apocalypse of the industry predicted by the shutdown in China never happened. There was a brief surge of applicants last year, but it all happened too late for the usual recruiting times, and the travel restrictions and lockdowns meant there were fewer people able to move easily to get jobs. Basically, the jobs are still there in the rest of Asia, and the pay is at the same level or even higher. Anyone on the group in Thailand right now will see TEFL positions going at 50,000 baht, which is 50% more than it was a few years ago. The after-hour freelance opportunities in Vietnam are insane. These things will return to normal over time, but my point is the situation right now isn't bad.
Another contributing factor might be all the human refuse who often took these types of jobs have been sitting on home on neetbux or attracted by local higher wages.
Being in Asia now is like it was 20+ years ago, whether you're traveling or working. TEFL isn't an exception.
>>
>>2333977
>Anyone on the group in Thailand right now
*on the ground in Thailand
>>
>>2333921
>Make $8000 a month doing this one simple trick.

Fuck out of here with that bullshit. I swear, this place gets closer to facebook status with each passing day.
>>
>>2333924
I don't know much about it. He just grinded while teaching English, left Japan, and is now finishing out his last year or two in the states. I'm sure covid had a lot to do with him being able to do it over the net.
>>
>>2333702
What is your investment strategy? and what is your passive income stream?

I'm curious about this but from what I've read TEFL salaries maybe allow you to save like $15k a year max.
>>
>>2334139
>https://justpronounce.com/english/fine
That's pretty accurate, although you can double that in Saudi Arabia and go much higher in the Emirates (but only Saudi Arabia is in reach for most of us).
I saved my first couple of years and bought a house (with a mortgage) in college town. I have a property manager who takes a percentage to keep it stocked with students. Later I bought a second house in a different city but with the same strategy. After expenses, they give me a good monthly income and eventually a good retirement.
>>
>>2334148
Sounds pretty based dude, you played it better than most people I know.

I've got pretty much $350k invested, probably gonna wage slave another year and then I'm taking the TEFL pill.
>>
>>2334139
You can save a lot more than that teaching in places like Vietnam
>>
Is $1,500-$2,000 USD enough for Korea? Going in about 2 weeks to teach at a private hagwon, my flight is paid for and my apartment is literally a <10 minute walk away from my job so no need for transportation expenses.
>>
>>2334918
They're giving you an apartment too, right? It's enough to survive, eat, drink, date a crazy Korean woman or two, and save several grand if you don't go crazy with the drinking and the crazy girls.
I never taught at a hagwon and I earned about $2500 with a paid apartment and a month's salary bonus at the end of the year. I didn't go out drinking often and the only crazy Korean girl I "dated" the first year was the school VP (who took me out once a week for drinks and sex), and I saved almost 15K. But I knew many, many teachers who were broke at the end of every month.
>>
>>2334942
Was that VP married? How old was she? Also wtf is a VP
>>
>>2334918
It’s enough to get by, but you probably won’t save much. Korea and Japan don’t really pay that well compared to places like VN.
>>
>>2329032
Fucking retarded newfaggot
>>
>>2334918
It's enough to survive and experience it but you're really not going to be having a good time on 2000 dollars a month in Korea (and yes I know rent is included). Locals consider 2000 a month to be a poverty wage.
>>
File: 1663851051258266.webm (1.02 MB, 454x714)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB WEBM
>>2333921
This is bullshit anon. I heard these stories and it was always "oh I heard it from a friend of a friend". Always entertaining to hear male laowais complain about Chinese "face" when they are the literal worst offenders of it. I'm sure one guy got lucky with a retarded tuhao but let's not pretend this is a common thing. If it was everyone would be doing it and I don't know a single laowai doing it.
>t. 6 year 中国通
>>
>>2328393
How can I get a decent TEFL job withOUT a bachelor's degree?
>>
>>2330524
how sick are the water buffalo?
>>
>>2336612
with a masters degree
>>
>>2329073
You are describing me. But that's ok.
>42yo
>living abroad since 20
>lived in 18 countries
>travelled 75
>licensed teacher
>master's degree
>Nice chunk of crypto for my pension
>Now making just $2k pm living in BKK in the comfiest job I've ever had.
>Don't need to worry about savings. >Spend my free time travelling, developing businesses and hobbies.
I'm really happy. Direct all uour negative energy at me if you like.
>>
>>2336636
do u like the instability
>>
>>2336662
>do u like the instability
Yes. I also don't know how to live any different. Feeling a need do a trip to Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe and Madagascar. Trying to be stable in Bangkok though. Trying to be somewhat normal.
>>
>>2336179
Vice Principal. Late 30s. Not married. Not bad looking but a ball breaker and Korean men have no interest in a woman that age.
>>2336612
>How can I get a decent TEFL job withOUT a bachelor's degree?
You can lie and go to a country where they don't need to see a degree to issue a visa, or go somewhere you can work without a visa. I do know an Australian without a degree who is a well-read and very intelligent person who makes a living doing private tutoring around SEA. But that's not really a TEFL job.
>>2336636
I feel the same way. When I return to my home country and see old friends and family, I can't imagine how they can live such boring routine lives for decades.
>>2336662
>do u like the instability
If you ask that question, then this line of work should only be a gap-year experience for you. You wouldn't be happy in it for a career. It's really not for most people. Only a certain personality enjoys doing it long term. Although there is a lot of overlap with digital nomad types who enjoy living abroad and switch between TEFL and other types of work for visas or to shake things up. (I fall into this category in recent years.)
>>
File: 1664349987170345.jpg (46 KB, 750x445)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2336703
>>2336703
>>2336703
>>
>>2336704
>32 year old here. covid fucked my shit up massively. i've got 6k in the bank and a computer and car that barely work. that's it. as far as skills are concerned, I've got a few IT certs but no real experience. i borderline hate the usa and i absolutely hate owning a car. should i just cut my losses and move somewhere for TEFL? by all accounts, i'm a loser burnout. (i've done tefl abroad before and had a bad experience)
You've done TEFL before so it's not your first rodeo. Do you expect it to be better this time? Or at least better than your current life? Are you working now, and does your job have future growth potential? Because working TEFL is mostly a one-trick pony - you might have different work environments, but unless you become a grade/subject teacher or move into administration, it doesn't change much, and being a different type of teacher is still teaching. You didn't like it the first time so think carefully about going back.
If you go back to TEFL and still don't like it, what will you do next? Try to jump careers yet again? If you think you can do remote IT work and that's your ultimate goal, you're better off working at trying to do that - unless you have no income right now. In that case, you've got nothing to lose (except your savings if you don't line up a job before you fly somewhere).
>>
are there any tefl opportunities in mexico/latam?

i imagine theyre probably worse than even working at mcdonalds in the states in arkansas but i gotta ask
>>
>>2329162
>you m-mentioned it so YOU DO CARE ch-checkmate heh

Yikes sounds like I hurted your ESL feelings, the desperate one is you for even lowly attempting to have a defensive stance on the situation for no reason. Regardless, i'll just lmao and move on while make more money than you.
Observation =/= Caring
>>
>>2336761
Seriously, you have an unhealthy obsession with Tefl teachers. Get a life already.
>>
I love how this guy keeps popping up in every one of these threads saying how much he doesn’t care, then gets upset at people making $3,000 a month teaching
>>
>>2336761
What did the teacher do to you? You are safe now.
>>
>>2330780
ABSOLUTELY DO HOT HAVE A DEGREE.

DEGREES ARE GAY.

HAD MAD OFFERS TO FO JOBS BUT YES, EVERYONE WANTS DEGREES.

I ENJOY THE HUSSLE
>>
>>2333647
COURSE WAS PART CLASS PART TOURISM. WENT PLACES. DID THINGS.

MET IN PERSON AT SCHOOLS.

LIVED IN THAILAND.

STAYED IN A HOTEL.

ATE AMAZING FOOD EVERYDAY AND GOT TO SEE THE CITY AFTER CLASS.

100% WORTH 1200.

OF COURSE I CAN TAKE THE COURSE AND GO NOWHERE. BUT I DIDNT WANT TO DO THAT.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/o8UDAi4LziCd/
>>
>>2336616
SICK AS IN COOL?

THEY ARE AESOME.

HUGE AND KIND.
>>
>>2336662
SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND SOME PEOPLE ENJOY THE LOOSNESS AND "NOMAD" LIFESTYLE

DO PEOPLE REALLY THINK BEING A NOMAD MEANS BEING STABLE?
>>
>>2333944
2k in Vietnam is still 2k, if you want to take it back home that's a different story. Cost of living hasn't increased really at all, is there any aspect of living here that you can name that has gone up in price?
>>
File: 1642867555743.jpg (1.1 MB, 1770x1770)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>2336714
I haven't had an income for some time. I didn't like TEFL in the past cause my boss was a piece of shit. Other than that, it wasn't bad. The trade-off of being able to live safely somewhere without a car was worth it. My only plan was to teach while earning another certificate (linux) during the first 6 months of teaching. If I can't stomach teaching anymore after 6 months, I'll leave and look for remote IT stuff. I'll add that I'm stuck living with my mom again and it's mentally draining.
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (13 KB, 480x360)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Guess who just passed his first assingment.
Only two more to go and Vietnam here I gooooooo
>>
>>2336740
>are there any tefl opportunities in mexico/latam?
Yes. In Mexico, they're difficult to get because of high competition. Most want licensed teachers or at least a B.Ed, and they also want Spanish fluency. Pay is better in Mexico than most of LatAm. Actually, teaching in most of Latin America is basically like being a volunteer with some pocket money to cover your monthly expenses.
>>2336845
>2k in Vietnam is still 2k
To add to this, having lived and worked in Vietnam for a long time, I can say that someone who only earns 2k/month in Saigon or Hanoi is just being lazy. Most people supplement by working another day a week or evenings tutoring, so they're earning 3k/month in a country where your monthly expenses are 500-700/month if you stay in a sharehouse with other expats. (And those monthly expenses include eating out every day, drinking as much as you want/can handle, and having girlfriends.)
>>2336919
Sounds like you have nothing to lose.
>>
>>2337003
I mean you can pretty easily earn 3k a month in Vietnam with some teaching experience and working 20 hrs a week. 2k is just the starting salary for English centers.
>>
>>2337012
Yeah, I agree. 2k/month is just fucking around level. Money in Vietnam is pretty good. It's the best place in Asia to make stacks these days
>>
>>2337003
Yeah. The only real position I see myself being in is making Taiwan or some other country work while grinding teaching and IT certs/networking.
>>
>>2328393
Is TEFL even worth it? All the lesson planning and out of class bullshit you have to deal with doesn't really seem worth the $1300 a month paycheck in Vietnam.
>>
>>2337198
Get a CELTA and you’ll be making a lot more than that in VN
>>
>>2337198
teacher here in eastern europe. I am doing all these lesson planning and out of class bullshit for 700 euros
>>
>>2337198
>doesn't really seem worth the $1300 a month paycheck in Vietnam.

Do they really pay that much in Vietnam?
>>
>>2337265
HERE WE GO AGAIN
you have no idea what did you start
>>
>>2337265
It’s a lot more than that. Starting for English centers, if you have a CELTA, is 1800-2200
>>
>>2337273
Before or after taxes.
I work for international bank in Poland as an office assistant and I earn 1200 euro.
Would gladly change this for 1200 dollars in SEA

Kind of heard to believe that Vietnam offers such salaries.
>>
>>2337290
Before. If you have a TEFL or CELTA and four year degree, you’re good.
>>
I don't like the idea of needing a BA, a CELTA, and at least four years of experience teaching just to make $1700 a month.
>>
>>2337307
You don’t need any experience, but suit yourself if you prefer whatever other job you might have
>>
>>2336612
I think you can only do this legally in Cambodia or if you have a associates degree I think Taiwan, Vietnam and Korea have rules that let you legally work there. You can of course work illegally.
>>
>>2337324
I haven't found a single school in Vietnam that's offering $1700 a month without experience.
>>
How many of you are pedophiles doing TEFL so you can fuck your students and/or underage prostitutes?

Be honest.
>>
>>2337379
not everyone is like you
>>
>>2337367
Try ILA, Wall Street English, maybe VUS as well.
>>
>>2337381
The question was serious. I was considering TEFLing for a year or two to get out for a while after finishing my teaching cert.
But almost all the guys pursuing it too that I've met gave up major kiddie diddler or kiddie diddler on the run vibes.
>>
>>2337383
I had a job with APAX before those faggots shut down and left everyone fucked.
>>
>>2337384
As a teacher I love my job but in my country being a teacher means being a subhuman with no respect. I heard it is better in asia, so I am giving it a try. Also I fucking hate my country so I have nothing to lose, and with 7 years of experience I have a bigger chance than the freshly graduated.
>>
>>2337386
Yeah they’re notorious here :/ I hear a group are trying to sue or take some kind of action, but not sure if anything will come of it
>>
>>2337390
Will you diddle students?
>>
>>2337393
Fuck off retard
>>
>>2337383
Not the anon you just talked to, but I just finished an interview with VUS. They offered me a maximum of $1300 a month. I have a B.a.Ed and a CELTA. You definitely have to have some years under your belt before they even consider giving you a livable wage.
>>
>>2337395
So yes?
>>
>>2337398
I told you already that not everyone is a pedophile like you. Keep projecting your fantasies somewhere else.
>>
>>2337397
Must be like 10-15 hours a week
>>
>>2337399
>pedo says what?
>>
>>2337400
20 to 25 hours a week, and I've always found that type of argument incredibly disingenuous and lacking context. That 20 to 25 hours a week only includes the in-class hours, or hours taught a week. It doesn't included the required office hours of 0700 to 1600, the required weekend trips to English camps, lesson planning, grading homework and correcting essays, conferences, covering for teachers when they call out, and required workshops. I would argue that $1300 a month isn't worth the amount of work required. The vast and overwhelming majority of teachers take on the bullshit labor so you can get a visa. Most of them transition into other jobs in Vietnam. It's why the turnover rate for ESL teachers is so high.
>>
>>2337392
I had an agreement with them that if I worked their online teaching while in America, they'll work on getting my visa and shit in the meantime. One day, everything was just gone. The online part was being ran by what seemed to be a bunch of random dudes they promoted from what was left of the people in APAX. During the interview, I was told that the interviewer knew about all the money that wasn't paid to teachers and the bad reputation. Easy as fuck job though.
>>
>>2337383
>>2337386
>>2337437
These companies are all low-balling applicants outside the country because they know people are trying to get back into the country, and there are/were lots within the country who took any job they could to avoid being deported. There's not many companies that are able to sponsor visas from outside the country (or there weren't several months ago, the last time I had dealings with them). Once someone is inside and has a work permit, they can apply for a TRC. Once they have TRC, it's easy peasy to jump to a different company. These big companies will not help or tell you that you can get a TRC because they want you by the balls, but get a TRC and now you have negotiating power. You can get a job offer and tell your current company to match or beat it, and they can't threaten you by having your work visa revoked like they can if you don't have a TRC. These big companies bring people in and pay peanuts, but once inside you can go to a smaller company that can't sponsor applicants from outside the country, and these places will pay 500k dong/hour for you to read slides off a projector.
>>
Seems like English teachers have a rougher time of it in South Korea than other Asian countries. Is this true? If so, why
>>
>>2337489
I have no clue what is it like from a teachers perspective but I travelled through asia and south korea has minimal stuff written in english. Also google maps doesn't work there so you can feel like you are lost.
>>
>>2336683
You know how many landlords in Korea are older women? Are they usually always married and are just managing their husband's properties or are many of them single?
>>
>>2337437
Yeah that sounds pretty ridiculous. Don’t accept anything under 1,700, and 20 teaching hours is considered full time. Anything more than that and you’ll get burnt out quick.
>>
>>2329073
This will cause quite a lot of seething, precisely because it is true and the truth always hurts the most. I can also say its true with some authority, because I used to *be* an ESL fag in asia.

But actually, contrary to the stereotypes, the most common sort of person you run into in asia ESLing is a confused 20 something who is trying to escape the rat race. Which doesn't actually happen, and ironically, leaves you worse equipped to deal with the rat race when you do finally (and you will) return to the "real world".

Yes, there is the occasional 40 something burn out and its very sad to see, because they are almost always stuck. Too invested in the country, too old to be devil may care, and too old to start over. If they have any industrious streak left a lot of them try to get into all sorts of business ideas, but most will simply resign to trying to save enough money to get a cheap property (increasingly an impossibility even in shitholes these days) and live frugally with their wife doing something like street food or nails.

A lot of ESLers are types who have fucked up every other avenue in their life so they latch onto ESL as this one thing where they can finally make something of themselves, but its a TERRIBLE idea because not only is the pay shit in actuality, but the ESL industry in Asia is profoundly unprofessional. You can teacher teacher double plus good and it will amount to fucking NOTHING. You're working in an industry where "native english speaker" is interpreted as "literally anyone with white skin, and if you're kind of brown lets negotiate". I worked with slavshits of all kinds that could barely string a sentence together in English.

And of course, a lot of guys won't admit that the entire reason they become so obsessed with ESLing in Asia is because they think they will get pussy. And they will, assuming they're not hideous, or totally autistic.
>>
>>2337804
Dude. This is 4chan - refuge of incels, autists and NEETs. This is the wrong place to look down on people living in SEA.
>>
>>2337804
The unprofessional thing is so true. Although the money isn't great, not everyone cares about making bank but knowing that nothing you do matters and there is almost no room for upward movement at all is disheartening.

I'll admit I just used ESL as a means to an end but it was pretty bad to see the industry take in bright young people who actually want to educate and do good things and just spit them out years later jaded and depressed on the exact same pay rate as guys like me who were just doing it to chase pussy for a bit.
>>
>>2329156
>them losers.
>>2329162
>you're really frustrated at TEFL teachers for some reason that you won't admit.
That roastie got pumped and dumped by one.
>>
File: Sad Frog.jpg (260 KB, 1024x1024)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>2328393
So I was given the opportunity to shadow some TEFL/CELTA instructors as they teach in Vietnam and in Thailand. Both situations were just terrible. How it was considered teaching was beyond me. It was a mixed bag of teachers, ranging from online certs with no experience to CELTAs working in the industry for 10 plus years. It was all the same. They all seemed to hate their jobs, they all shit talk the locals, a majority of them were sex pests, and all of them were poor as shit. I understand that money isn't everything to some people, but I don't understand how they were even getting by when their paychecks are going toward alcohol and prostitutes. That and the level of narcissism, cynicism, and toxicity expressed by TEFL/CELTA teachers was disgusting. Most of the locals I've met were amiable, or at the very least apathetic, while nearly every ESL teacher I've met has been argumentative and toxic at their best and outright combative at their worst. I don't know if it's the industry that turns people into this or if ESL just attracts the worst type of people, but it's completely turned me off the idea of teaching in Asia altogether. The kids and the adults that I got to teach were alright, but I fucking hated the teachers, managers, etc. I'm not saying that ESL is worthless, but most of you are just terrible people and you genuinely make everything around you significantly worse. Do whatever you want, but why do a majority of you go out of your way to screw each other and other people over? Why can't you just be normal teachers? Why are so many of you undiagnosed lunatics/sociopaths?
>>
>>2337925
Bro, chill
>>
>>2337925
jc
>>
>>2337855
I thought about getting a teacher job in Thailand or Vietnam and then using it as a springboard to get an office corpo job.
Is it a good idea?
>>
>>2337925
>I don't know if it's the industry that turns people into this or if ESL just attracts the worst type of people, but it's completely turned me off the idea of teaching in Asia altogether.
The narcissistic know-it-all personality is one of the few personalities that actually enjoys teaching. There are a few others but you won't notice them as much because they don't leave the same bad impression.
>Do whatever you want, but why do a majority of you go out of your way to screw each other and other people over? Why can't you just be normal teachers? Why are so many of you undiagnosed lunatics/sociopaths?
I don't know if your limited experience qualifies you to make such a broad statement, but I can't blame someone for their first impression. It's like how people view lawyers, and how even lawyers view their own industry, but if you were a lawyer you'd know that they come in all types.
>>
>>2337953
>I thought about getting a teacher job in Thailand or Vietnam and then using it as a springboard to get an office corpo job.
>Is it a good idea?
No, not a good idea. I do know people who went from teaching in Vietnam to do all sorts of jobs that they had no right to expect, but if your ambition is an office job then you shouldn't see teaching in SEA as anything but a diversion (hopefully temporary) from that goal.
>>
>>2337995
>I don't know if your limited experience qualifies you to make such a broad statement

At what point does an observation of a repeated pattern turn into an understanding of people in the field instead of "inexperience"? Please give me the exact amount of time I need in a field to make an observation. Again, I'm not saying all ESL teachers are bad, but that pattern is far more common than just coincidence. I've given up on ESL in Asia, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. But I would argue it's fallacious to try and dismiss my statement as inexperienced.
>>
>>2337804
and what about all the people happy with their ESL job and people who grinded ESL and got out? you doomers are always so keen to scare everyone. if someone uses ESL to get away and it works. who fuckin cares.
>>
>>2337996
So I should just go for 2 weeks to Vietnam or Thailand and look for a job?
>>
>>2338046
sure why not

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.