[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

how was your burn?
>>
i’m no windsock expert but i think this is 17mph winds? it was very dusty friday night. people got wrecked by the embers and smoke
>>
9:35am saturday. the weather is reasonable. the segway’s are out. things are looking pretty good to take down the camp
>>
12:09pm saturday. the dust storms have been up for about 2 hours. it’s rough but we can see. it’s more annoying than anything
>>
3:15pm saturday. the camp has lost all its protection from the dust as we take it all down. we can barley see across the street. we’ve been getting hit for 5 hours straight. people are having a hard time focusing on getting anything done
>>
>actually going to boomer con
well at least it isn't a blatant coomer thread
>>
4:49pm saturday. all anyone talks about now is how they want to go home. skip the man being burnt. we’ve been getting blasted for almost 7 hours straight and it’s actually getting worse. it comes in waves and this was one of the worst ones. my hair basically has gel in it from the dust. my goggles are dusted over. my nose bled in my mask and i wasn’t doing any drugs. this was a hard day
>>
Good. I would never want to get that dusty. Unless I was fucking gooks on Mars. You're dumb.
>>
> hear a woman singing
> live music. amazing. let’s go inside and check
> it’s a fag with a shitty haircut singing like a dead cat
> floor is covered in sweaty hippies cuddling in the heat somehow making themselves warmer
> someone asks me where the trash can is

this whole place was cringe, left very shortly after arriving
>>
What is the orgy dome like?
>>
i do not go to the sex camps. you can orgy dome on your own time. i hit the bars. i get fed at the food camps. i dance at the sound camps. i take drugs everywhere. my favorite type of camp is live music with real instruments
>>
crossroads friday night
>>
>>
>>
imagine the smell
>>
cringe thread
>>
i took a shower every day. the big cringe is that you spent last week sitting on your computer like you always do and i spent last week having an awesome experience i will never forget

> drone show
>>
> be me
> spend all my time on computer
> even at literally midnight because i have nothing to do or contribute to anyone
> see oc posted on image board
> bestideaever.msi
> “cringe”
> click post
> postnutclarity.bmp
> open up another bag of cool ranch doritos and grab my chopsticks to avoid getting dusty fingers (pro gamer move)
> another successful all nighter online is just getting started

this is el pulpo 2. there’s been a pulpo car for a while. they sold the original to a collector and rebuilt it all this year
>>
>>2322392
>>2322402
>DUDE I HAD SO MUCH FUN
>LOOK AT ALL THE PHOTOS I HAD
>IT WAS SO FUN
>ILL REMEMBER THIS FOREVER
>OH YOU DIDNT GO? SO SAD
>TAKE A LOOK AT ANOTHER ONE OF MY PHOTOS PLZ
>I NEED VALIDATION
>MY VALUE IS DETERMINED BY WHAT OTHERS THINK
>PLEASE LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE
>HERES ANOTHER PHOTO
>>
>>2322402
You have quite some thin skin for somebody who voluntarily goes to the desert for a festival.
Please keep posting, your pics are interesting and this board is large enough to accommodate non-coomer non-Asia posts.
>>
>>2322369
Do they let single guys in? Asking for a friend
>>
how easy is it to score drugs at burneeng man? or do you have to bring your own
I just mean like coke or molly
>>
>>2322660
Yes, but you have to try gay sex at least once. It's required.
>>
>>2322392
Wasn't burning men just a bunch of flying drones this time? Did they just lit up all the drones?
>>
>>2322748
No they actually set a crazy thing on fire like they always do. The drone show was a separate thing. It goes on like ten fucking days. I don't go to it though just know about since it happens in NV. For me being from the desert, spending a week out there in the summer is insane. I don't understand the appeal at all. Worst time of the year plus you can't go offroading or shoot off guns which imo are the only fucking reasons to ever go out in the desert and the people who do burning man frown on both those things heavily. The people that go seem to like it though I give them a wide berth when they pass through.
>>
you will not score drugs out here. it’s not a drug market. no one is selling. everyone is hiding them if using because there’s police everywhere. and the big sound camps have plainclothes police. the bigger the camp the more likely a narc is there. i saw them. they are older, don’t look at the stage, don’t dance, and awkwardly walk through the crowd looking at people. you have to be extremely careful taking anything out in public and especially at a big sound camp. but it’s a huge place and easy to find your own spot
>>
>>2322774
they have police at burning man? doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? i mean, i can understand a crew there on standby for if shit goes down but ACTIVELY searching for folks to arrest? wasn't burning man started by a bunch of faggy san fran hippy artist types?
>>
>>2322824
Yes but it's on federal land and in a conservative part of the state so there's both local LEO's and feds.
>>
there’s tons of police out there. you’re on federal land and subject to federal law. this isn’t some breakaway micro nation that thinks they’re above u. s. law. a huge part of what the burning man org does is work in compliance with the bureau of land management so they can continue to host the event

a big part of that is leave no trace. right now and for the next 50 days hundreds of people are still at black rock desert cleaning up. if they don’t pass environmental tests the BLM conducts the event will not be allowed next year. the burning man org grades each camp on leave no trace and camps which create problems do not get invited back

you go too fast on the dirt road? ticket

you drive drunk? ticket. or bike drunk and get caught

they were not as bad this year as previous years
>>
File: 1661246544662112.webm (2.86 MB, 620x582)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
>>2322405
yes
>>
i didn’t ride this. i only saw it one night but i was right by this place
>>
>>
>>2322347
Cool thread op. Haters can fuck off, better than yet another coomer thread
>>
a lot of people think this place is a music festival like coachella. it’s not because there’s no entertainment or services provided besides ice and portos. there are some burning man employees but they don’t work for you. they are mostly there to make sure you aren’t fucking up the city. they don’t owe you anything for your ticket

everything you can see in these pictures was brought by someone who is an attendee. they got a ticket just like you. they chose to bring that couch. or that shade structure. or that alcohol you’re drinking. they chose to bring a propane tank, stove, and grill make you tacos. someone built this horse that shoots fire and hooked it up all day for people to look at

and they are giving it away. there’s no bartering. no exchange of goods. it’s just giveaways. sometimes it’s consumable. sometimes it’s experience only. all of it costs the giver time and money. some camps give a little. maybe open bar for 2 hours a couple days. some camps give a lot. like live music for 4 hours every night and grilled cheese. this place exists because of the attendee run camps
>>
i got the fire shooting horse picture messed up here it is

the point though is if you’re at a music festival and interacting with the staff how do you treat them? it’s transactional. i’m in line to buy a pizza. or a beer. i don’t give a fuck about you. you are here to take my money and serve me. and i am already paying a lot to get in the door. now i am paying more for services. i expect something in exchange for my money

here you are interacting with other ticket holders. they don’t owe you anything. they may offer services. you may take them. but how you view that person is very different. you’re grateful just to have anything. they are happy people showed up. one of the worst feelings is bringing hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of stuff to give away and no one wants it or cares. making someone happy is an awesome feeling

i always thank people offering. i usually compliment them on their camp set up. or their outfits. or their cool decorations. i ask them what their name is. i thank them by name. i offer them to come to my camp to our parties. i tell them the address and times and what we offer. not as an exchange but as a way to participate in the giving.

during the day as you go down the street probably half the camps are offering something. maybe you hear loud music and stop for a drink or to dance. maybe someone’s in the street with a megaphone yelling at you. one time a guy in a wheel chair told me to get my ass over to take pickle back shots. who says no?
>>
>>2322896
>>2322900
wow that's actually sounds beautiful

Been thinking a lot of going to burning man during college but I'd just be some drugged up junkie looking to see what's up with nothing to offer others especially when I was poor as fuck

Now I've grown up a bit and got a pretty good job making some money I'm thinking of it even more especially when I got the resource to do it

thanks for the posts and insight

this'll give me more reason to start thinking how I can contribute instead of taking

does anyone have problems with wooks there?
>>
another example of giving. this was the first day so people are still setting up. this camp brought what looks like a few hundred pounds of metal to make a maze

a few hundred feet behind the white van is a tall dome structure with netting at the top. this was one of my favorite places. you could climb up there at any time. it had a ladder that’s hard to see in this pic because it’s a sideways view on it. i climbed up the side. this is about 40 ft up. there’s no safety crew. there’s no harness. no signs saying you have to be this tall to ride. it’s assumed you will be responsible. or just stay away. i went there with a friend who doesn’t like to climb. he stayed on the ground.

there are medical tents here. they are volunteer medics. you are on your own for the most part but if you’re truly messed up someone might help you. there’s a mini hospital here that is not volunteer run, they get paid.

theres a level of trust and individual autonomy you don’t get very often. it’s nice to be away from warning signs and least common denominator over watch
>>
this is the top of that tower at night. this whole city comes alive at night like no where else. everything is lit up. every direction you look has lights. and every one of those lights is something brought for the event. i stayed up here a while. i would come alone.

a great part of this place is exploring on your own. it’s awesome to go with a big group and mob a sound camp. take over a dance floor. or roll up deep with the homies to a bar. but it’s also great to do your own thing. if you’re not having a good time do something else. you’ll meet people along the way.

it’s very easy to make friends out here. not everyone shares the same interest. there isn’t any one group that dominates. i like to take drugs, party, stay up all night. i met tons of people who want to get a good night sleep, wake up early and explore before it gets hot. i met a lot of older people here and younger people. it’s hard to be really young here due to the cost. there’s something for everyone out here as long as you’re willing to go out and look for it. you are the reason you aren’t having fun. or conversely, you are the reason you’re having a great time
>>
People still do the burning man deal? it was played out 20 years ago it must just be social media influencers now completely opposite of the original idea
>>
>>2322774
>there’s police everywhere
Show pics of burning man police
>>
i don’t have any pictures of the bureau of land management rangers. on the drive in we went all night and near the end my friend was tired and couldn’t stay in his lane. i offered to drive. which was good because this guy sucks ass at driving

when we got in the main dirt road there’s a lot of lanes in. some of them are stopped because there’s people asleep in their rvs. there’s bathrooms on the side and behind each one is a federal agent in a pickup truck. i was going mostly 10pm sometimes 12. you have to go about 2.5-3 miles in so at 10moh even light traffic it can take a while. it’s tempting to go faster and we had a car pass us. hauling ass at 20 mph. some sprinter van. and within a minute of getting passes i see the red and blue lights, he got pulled over

getting pulled over might mean a ticket. or a search. or k9 search. not a good outcome. i drive very carefully in the city cause they are always watching and you don’t do much driving. no point in ruining your day for an extra 5 mins

the black rock city rangers work for burning man. they are nice people. you aren’t supposed to use them like a nanny, too much asking might negatively impact your camp next year. i don’t have a pic of it but they ran a bar on this street and i got drinks there one day
>>
>>
>>2322960
based palinka dealers
>>
File: IMG_20220903_051336907.jpg (3.26 MB, 4080x3072)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
I found a light display in the deep playa that changes color based on you inserting different jars with some kind of key inside onto a pedestal.
>>
File: IMG_20220903_115653949.jpg (2.91 MB, 4080x3072)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
You can go to the airport and sign up for a free plane ride. I signed up at 7am and waited four hours as 108 people before me were gifted plane rides by multiple pilots flying their personal four seater small planes
>>
>>
File: IMG_20220829_145213897.jpg (3.51 MB, 4080x3072)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
Burning man is the largest gathering of fire spinners in the world, and multiple camps teach flow arts such as poi, staff, rope dart...
>>
File: IMG_20220829_115200321.jpg (3.91 MB, 4080x3072)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB JPG
Many jobs need to be done by volunteers
>>
i saw the jar color thing!! i’m sure i was the only person out there who switched the jars indiana jones style

i told myself i was going to get an airplane ride this time and bitched out due to the windy days. i’ve heard stories of crashes out there. maybe next time
>>
>>
>>2322360
educational. they talk about boundaries and consent before you get to go in
>>
>>2322960
pálinka and trampoline? What could go wrong?...
Bytheway "asztakurvamindenit!"
>>
>>2322774
Keaton?
>>
>pay $700 to eat dust and sleep in sand
Sounds pants on head retarded. It's a week long party for privileged white trust fund kids who pretend they're the salt of the earth until they head home to their expensive homes. I'm willing to bet it smells like death and grundle in all those tents
>>
>>
>>2322347
On Tuesday night my GF decided it would be best if we were in an open relationship. That was really good because I wanted to clean up around camp and she was out with her new friends until Saturday night. She came back to change her clothes and said everything was amazing. I was happy that she was happy. So I was holding the fort down all week just in case she came back with all her new friends. It was good to see her for a while on Saturday. I waited until Monday before filing a missing person report. They found her in Reno outside the Silverado. They took her to the hospital and said she was having trouble remembering anything, like even her name. They just had her cell phone and I was the her emergency contact. I'm really glad I was there for her. I packed our camp up and drove everyone home to San Francisco then drove back up to Reno to see my lover. She is still there in the hospital sleeping. They said she has long Covid. So I flew her parents out so we could do shifts at the hospital. Her parents blame me but they're coming around to seeing things my way. Her new male friend showed up last night and was mostly interested in getting his ebike back. So I gave him $1k in cash because she lost it and she was ultimately my responsibility. So everything has worked out pretty well.
>>
>>2323324
Little known factoid - it's also the largest RV parking lot in the world.
>>
>>2324029
I can't tell for sure if you're trolling but this thread sure is a goldmine of borderline troll posts.
Amazing, please keep posting.
>>
>>2324040
Her new male friend was a bit of a handfull. He worked for the DPWs and said he built the city. He wanted $2k for the ebike because he said it was a special gift from Crimson Rose. I didn't have any more money and he said it was okay because he'd take the rest in trade once my GF can walk again. It's nice that he still cares about her. He said I can find him in The Mission on Jeff's couch and if I don't he's going to find me. It's nice to be a part of the community. I've never been polyamorous before so this is a new thing. But I'm supposed to get a special lady friend, too, but I don't know where I find one. Maybe at the DPWs because they do a lot of that. All of them have Covid it seems and pink eye for some reason. They work hard. I can't wait to see my sweetie again when she's out of the ICU. I'm just taking a break from the waiting room because her dad wants to hurt me. I think he's just a little stressed out because they need to do an operation on our girl. She should be fine, tho.
>>
>>2324029
>>2324049
>typical burning man goer
kek
are you that "intellectual, highly attuned to the paranormal" beaner schizo from the other thread
>>
>>2323985
The level of cope to make this is astronomic. Stay buttblasted
>>
File: download (19).jpg (10 KB, 260x194)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
fuck yer burn
>>
fuck yer burn!!
>>
>>2322347
First burn. Didn't do too too much, but had a great time. Ended up with me getting covid, but happy I went. Dust storms were brutal.
>>2322660
No. But it's pretty easy to make friends and ask them to go with just so you can check it out.
>>2322742
>>2322774
Don't know about coke molly, but got acid and shrooms from a random dude. Great time. Was mesmorized by the art fan thing thats held up by a crane. Nearly died from the dust storm right after, then ended up in some club/camp with 10/10 attractive half naked chicks and nice little dance area with some amazing dancers. 10/10 would do again. This >>2322972 is the fan thing I'm talking about.

Anyone have recommendations on things that are similar to burning man? Other festivals? Places to travel? etc. Kind of fell in love with the community, and friendliness/openness
>>
Thanks for the thread OP. It's nice to see that /trv/ still has travelers.
>>
>>
np i got some more i’ll send up now. there’s regional burns but there nothing like the real burn. i need the immense scale of it. i can’t go to a 2,000 person event. the feeling of never seeing it all is a huge part of it for me
>>
this was some weird wood building i realized you could climb up through the roof. it was better on top
>>
tuesday night mayan warrior
>>
We had a camp of 50 people. The best part was when everyone started pretending to have Covid on Saturday. Everyone started bailing on their camps so they didn't have to break-down and clean up. No one argued or got pissed, just left all the hard work to the few retards who didn't see what was coming. People were passing around false positive tests just to leave early.
>>
>>2324771
pathetic
>>
we had a 140 person camp. at the start of break down we had 80 people. by lunch we had 60. by the end we had 30. we a big camp it’s impossible to know everyone. it’s friends of friends of friends of friends. you can tell some people put a lot of work into the camp. some people take a lot more than they give.

i was hoping if the camp was s
smaller you would run into less bullshit. like one thing that really pissed me off is we had a dinner every night and people would cut in line all the time. we’re supposed to be on the same team here. but if a camp of 50 people has lots of people leaving early that blows.

i’m curious if you all knew each other that well. our camp had pockets of people knowing each other like groups of 10 or 15. but no group bigger than 30 or 40 was that tight
>>
>>2322405
being miserable and cynical for attention is even more pathetic. Go outside
>>
>>2324040
>I can't tell for sure if you're trolling
Then you genuinely have autism
>>
Would rather be tortured than attend burning man. All the worst, most pretentious people in America in a 110 degree dust bowl with poor hygiene.
>>
>>2324775
Dude, it's a just a party. It's not a religion.
>>
>>2324771
>low quality people don't want to do any work
Imagine that
>>
>>2324771
Shows how much these insta-whores actually care about community and love when it comes down to it
>>
>>2325766
Fucking hipsters playing Mad Max for a week before crawling back into their cubicles, pretending to be a part of a community that died 20 years ago.
>>
>>2325775
The constructions and installations fascinate me but spending a week with the worlds most insufferable google techbros who think doing mushrooms in the desert is "changing the world" and >>2325748 act like it's a religion complete with rituals, taboos and doctrine sounds like a shit time to me though I'm pretty sure >>2324771 is bait. I'm also from a hot climate and don't want to spend any longer outside in a hot hellhole than I have to.

I wish I could just go for Friday-Sunday and check shit out and leave but I think that's viewed as "tourism" by the burning man crowd and frowned upon for reasons (because its a religion).

>>2323702
Holy shit how is it this much? I attend another huge camp-on-site event held on public land (an offroad event) and its the same size as burning man is and occupies a huge area in the desert and yet tickets are $30 for a week of access (though few go to the first days of it) and that pays for all the site infrastructure, portable toilets, portable barriers/fencing, what law enforcement is required and a paid crew to clean the place when its done and nobody searches your vehicle on the way in.
>>
Wish an A-10 had Warthog strafed the whole thing, nothing of value would have been lost.
>>
>>2324771
>>2324996
>giant camps
you're doing it wrong. after your first or second year hopefully you would know how to "do burning man", don't stick around the same camp too long. there's too many people to meet, if you just stick to your little circle you miss out on the most important part of burning man.

also FUUUUUCK trying to go out in a group. that is the worst fucking way to spend time at burning man. i'm usually the first person to break off from a group. 2-3 people max is all i can handle. trying to get a whole camp together to go see starshine dance at distrikt is the biggest fucking waste of time imaginable. fuck distrikt fuck starshiner fuck your camp fuck their burn.

next time volunteer at whatever camps you're established with but camp alone. go to walk-in it's pretty fucking incredible. burning man is best experienced alone (because you're not really alone whooooah dude) or with a very close friend or partner
>>
that’s some astounding sigma quality copium you’ve been boofing. i’m a lone wolf bro. it’s how it’s meant to be

going out in groups is hard. it doesn’t always end up that you do what you want to be doing every second. but it does feel good some nights. i like to mix it up.

big group takeovers, small groups. one night 5 of us went all over and kept bro fisting together calling ourselves the avenges saying “with our K combined we can take on anything” and doing k bumps. great time. then other nights i was with one person. i love meeting people when you cruise alone.

but i don’t agree about switching up camps. i think it’s cool to be involved in a camp year over year. meeting more and more of the inner crew that comes back. it’s a great feeling. and this camp does events off playa. i’m really proud to be part of the camp
>>
File: 1652084642088.gif (632 KB, 160x160)
632 KB
632 KB GIF
>>2325981
Cringe
>>
I went 10 years in a row. My last year was 2007. The demographic was almost totally replaced by tourists/spectators by then. We had 2 art cars and people acted like we were gods for actually doing something. One was a bar car and people treated it like a free drinks station. They'd line up 20+ people deep expecting to get served. Before this change people would sit down have a bit of a chat and never ask for a drink, we'd just serve them without asking. And then the obsession with taking selfies. Before if you took a camera out people would look at you like you grew horns. Then suddenly the whole event turned into a giant photo opportunity - and not just the Instagram models. One women in camp started up a 5k watt generator to charge her cell phone and got angry with me when I suggested she charge it using my inverter tied to a solar array. Also guys roaming around with the insatiable desire to get laid. They just couldn't relax and hang out, it was almost always 'Where's the women at?'. One guy spent the whole week trying to hook up with my GF, doing my coke drinking my beers and eating my food, the whole time trying to push me out of the picture. On Saturday night he flew into a rage when she wanted to hang out with me. Killed the whole vibe in the camp. Way too many horny dudes and cock teases... One guy picked up a newly opened bottle of Frog's Leap Sauvignon Blanc and dumped the whole thing onto the playa because Radical Inclusion mantra has made its way to the random people in the world who were ostracized for good reason from their home communities - real world people who should be institutionalized LOVE Burning Man.

Then you have DPW and Gate Crew thefts and assaults that go unreported. Convicts who spend 6 months out of the year couch surfing and selling drugs, then head out to BM to be slaves of the corporation where they're allowed to take out their frustrations on the unsuspecting who think they've just arrived at a festival of love.
>>
>>2326045
Cuck
Imagine letting some man eat ur food and hit on ur gf for a week
>>
>>2326059
I was busy fucking the little trapeze artist in camp, and a few neighboring girls. No time to keep tabs on the GF when I wasn't fucking her in my rig. Every camp has flies like this guy circling around trying to land on the scraps. You shew them away and they just circle back.
>>
>>2326067
Eh, I was just trying to fuck with ya. Yeah, the number of desperate losers in pretty much all events have shot up. Nobody just wants go have a good time anymore, it's all about selfies for clout and pussy chasing.

This is what happens when a majority of young men are chronically online and are sex/attention starved. It gets fucking annoying to watch these beaten dogs walk go to camp to camp sniffing for coochie like leprosy infected social outcasts

I miss when nerds and loners were actually interesting people.
>>
>>2326045
This is how people are now. 20 years of economic recession has turned everyone into an individualistic hustler. Being nice is now equaled to being a sucker, contributing to something for the greater good is something people think is weird. They paid around 500$ and they expect to be compensated for it.

There's no point in going to events like these because it's just degeneracy for its own sake now.
>>
>>2326069
Nobody is on the same team anymore, not even temporarily. It's just an endless soulless competition for resources and status
>>
>>2322826
Professional party poopers, fucking wow.
>>
>>2326069
I blame social media. Instagram was the worst thing to happen to humanity in the last decade followed maybe by twitter an facebook.
>>
>>2324029
Classic burner cuck. I've been the other guy before so all I have to say is that you should detach immediately, her parents are there with her, just go.
>>
>>2326024
Still using Bateman gifs is more cringe than op enjoying his life you fucking baboon
>>
>>2322405
You're posting on an image board. You literally depend on other people's photos to trigger emotional responses in your simple brain.
>>
>>2322353
totally worth it brah fr looks trippy no cap
>>
>>2326068
>>2326069
>20 years of economic recession has turned everyone into an individualistic hustler. Being nice is now equaled to being a sucker
>Nobody just wants go have a good time anymore, it's all about selfies for clout and pussy chasing.

Yup.
>>
>>2326920
>recession literally started like 9 months ago
>20 years
>literally had to buy fucking any random top 500 company and you'd 10x your money since 2000
>recession
>stock market did 100% in like a year recently
>>
>>2322933
correct
>>
What's the logistics in this...I heard it costs retarded money to attend. But why the fuck do you need to pay anyone anything...for driving out onto a salt lake and these fucks just so happen to be there too? Or are you just paying for the ease of taking a proper shit in a bowl, and water?
>>
ticket: $675
vehicle pass: $144
camp dues: $550 (varies, ~$400 avg)
gas: $100+
drugs: ~$250
food, water: ~$150-$200
clothes: $100
camping gear: varies

i spent a lot less money this time on camping gear. i had it all from my first burn. i spent less on clothing cause i borrowed more from friends and planned farther ahead. i spent more on drugs. k isn’t cheap

you can do it for more or less. our camp is a little pricey but it’s fun. you will not find a week long vacation for this price where you get to do this many activities
>>
a big thing you pay for is setup and cleanup

the burning man permit from BLM is for like 100 days or something ridiculous. something like july to october. it takes a lot of set up to build the base infrastructure. mark all the roads and camps, art installations, portos, set up the man, trash fence, etc.

when you’re there they pay for portos to be clean. have many rangers on patrol

the government only allows the event to run if it leaves no trace. this photo is from september 10. there’s still a good amount of stuff left over. cleaning up every bit of trash. helping throw stuff away that people leave behind. it’s a huge cost

and i think it’s good it costs a lot because it keeps out shitty people. because people there need some money they are less likely to be desperate thieves. or gangs. i think if it was free or under $100 the power dynamic would shift a lot. someone was murdered at the renegade burn in 2021 that was free
>>
>>2328397
My first year the ticket was $30. No vehicle passes then. Services provided by the company have not gone up by 20x. The company (The Burning Man Project) has gone completely Woke over the last 10 years. They spend that extra money promoting Woke initiatives and a socialist agenda. Factor in the BS vehicle pass - that's almost 30x in about 20 years. I'm surprised they haven't figured out that people will also pay a $100-200 administrative fee, so expect that in the coming years. The people who run the event hire their friends at 6 figures and give them stupid job titles that require little effort or intelligence. That's a form of embezzlement/cronyism. They say they're non-profit, but they spend tens of thousands on extravagant BS retreats with lobster breakfasts. They give very little money back to the arts community, but think they're benevolent goddesses of curation with incredible artistic taste. The organization required to produce the event is no more complex than producing a mid-budget feature film, less so actually. But go ahead and volunteer for your playa cool points. All you're doing is serving their free labor business model. That's actually their niche and is the envy of all other festivals. Somehow they've convinced people to produce the event for them for free while they take all the profit.
>>
>>2328480
Best description in this whole thread. I found something on the internet where the burning man project paid someone a 6 figure salary to take artistic photos of trash they found out in the desert. Not shit left by attendees mind you, shit left behind by ranchers 50 years ago, beer bottles and bailing wire and coke cans-trash. They also bought some huge property just outside the black rock site for... reasons. No idea what they'll do with it but it's not for the event. Like I posted earlier, I attend an event that's similar in scope (not a 100 day set up though that still doesn't account for all of the costs) and the tickets are... $30. Go figure, that's what it actually costs to run a weeklong event for 70,000 people on public land.
>>
You paid $700 for your gay little fake hippie drug camp experience.
I get paid $700 a day to clean it up and pack the prefab buildings into a truck an take it all away.
>>
>>2328484
>>2328480
i'll just leave this here
https://burningman.org/wp-content/uploads/BURNING-MAN-PROJECT-2019-990-PDC.pdf

It's fucking ridiculous. 1 million dollars in fundraising ? That the price of the fucking website ?

986 employees when they piss everyone off about cleaning the fucking playa before and after you leave and get volunteers to do this shit ?
>>
this receipt is from 2022. vehicle passes were $100 in 2019
>>
>>2328530
The whole decommodification thing has always been a rules-for-thee joke. Only the kool-aid drinkers take it seriously. Cash changes hands on the playa all the time. Larry shitting out the 10 Principles in 2004 just drove it underground. The blackmarket on the playa is how a lot of people pay for their next 6 months of survival. There's a power grid that runs throughout - rental generators and privileged access to the grid is big business. That's just 1 profit center.

The only hope for the playa and its natural beauty and its use for safe offseason recreation is a flood during the event. Ticket holders aren't prepared for something like that and the National Guard would need to be called in to assist in the humanitarian crisis at the cost of 10s of millions of dollars and some lives lost. That would be the wakeup call everyone needs to put an end to this THING that has essentially raped the creative art community of the Bay Area and beyond, depleting it of time/cash and other resources. BM is a cancer.
>>
>>2328516
ok that's kind of based
>>
>>2324771
classic cutthroat techbro sociopathy, kek
>>
>>2326320
Let's not get crazy here, anon. We'll leave the anti-semitism to /pol/, shall we?
>>
>>2326958
>>2326958
most Americans have no assets r-tard. the wealthy have stolen the resources of the bottom 95% by siphoning it away with inflation since '71. it was deliberate and it has sundered the social fabric.
>>
>>2324747
>what does it project management smell like
>>
>>2322402
I would love to have a beer w you
>>
>>2325796
What is your secret $30 event as big as burning man?
>>
>>2328516
Dpw? Or a contractor?
>>
>>2328644
>There's a power grid that runs throughout - rental generators and privileged access to the grid is big business. That's just 1 profit center

Like a literal grid or network of people renting generators? Tell us more about the underbelly of burning man
>>
>>2329168
About 15 years ago there was a guy who worked for the company (BMorg) who had all the inside information. He promoted the idea of profiting any way you can from the event because that's what the organizers were doing behind closed doors. Since then it's been a free-for-all, exploiting the fuck out of the creative arts community - it's people and their resources. The goddamn Kool Aid drinking volunteers have no idea what their participation actually means, the same with 99% of ticket holders [school teachers on spirit quests, bucket listers, wannabe/armchair counter culturalists]. They don't think and they don't question. They just worship.

Corruption and hypocrisy through and through, in a top-down authoritarian 'government' pretending to be happy anarchists. It's a fucking scam... The black markets on the playa range from prostitution, drug sales, service providers of all kinds, theft and intimidation and even violence. If you want to snort cocaine off our your bar of your GF's titties and not worry about LEO, camp near First Camp or DPW Ghetto. These areas are no-go for LEO. They drive by and don't see a fucking thing. 2 blocks away they'll try to bust you for a rolled cigarette.

The whole goddamn thing should be shut down and replaced with what people did over the last 2 years during Covid. That was a return to its roots. BMorg fucking hated it and punished participants. They had operatives on the playa taking note... And then there's the destruction of the online community - ePlaya (their official forum) has been destroyed by the company. In the past there were hundreds of posts a day. Now it's a mess that no one can figure out. That's by design. BM is not a democracy and never will be according to their new CEO, Marian Goodell. Fine but that wasn't good enough for them. They had to silence all commentary, criticism and especially descent. These are smart people, I'll give them that. Diabolical, also. Very much so.
>>
>>2329899
>descent
dissent
>>
>>2329157
Not him but my first guess is rainbow gathering (pls do not let this derail thread)
>>
File: 1663742423949936.jpg (24 KB, 500x400)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>2322347
>>2322348
Neat pic :D
>>
>>2329157
>>2331265
Sorry, lost track of the thread.
The event I was talking about is King of the Hammers. It's technically a "race" but that doesn't describe what it actually is. It's like a redneck Burning Man. There's a race but it's really a place to check out what everybody has done with their rig and drink and see people do stupid shit. Tickets were $30 though I think they went up last year. I've been going for 7 years including "during covid" they never cancelled it. https://racer.com/2019/02/07/king-of-the-hammers-off-road-racings-cultural-appropriation/

I think it's bullshit that BM charges $700 and also a vehicle pass because this is the same kind of thing- 70k people came last year. That number doesn't include the people who sneak in by using offroad trails to access it. There's no huge wood structure to build but there's a lot of set up for the course including jumbotron TVs and a lot of clean up. I could understand charging a little more for BM but $700 but come tf on. I've also never heard of anybody getting searched by the cops at KOTH or even arrested and people do some really stupid shit, like shooting fireworks at each other. I think you'd have to be really blatant like something that could kill someone. I've sped past the cops and just got a warning to not do that on the main "road" through it.

>>2328644
I have a generator. Could I make money? Stuff like this >>2322402 looks cool but BM seems like it's full of uptight San Franciscans who have a long list of unwritten rules on how you're supposed to do things and get upset when you break them.

Dust at KOTH can be as bad as these pics >>2322356 because everyone is riding quads and doing donuts and stuff. I get BM isn't for that kind of thing but their rules sound retarded.
>>
>>2331333
checked.
Unless you have several of these and contacts within the company, then no. They truck these in and wait for a need and then charge BMorg through the nose to use them.
>>
tell me more about rainbow gathering
>>
>>2331731
It's like a lot of people meeting up who wanted to be in San Francisco in the mid 60s, but arrived there in the late 60s to early 70s. There are similarities to Burning Man, but the rainbow gatherings are desperately ideologically hopeful and rooted in despair of a time long long ago gone, never ever to be seen again in the participants lifetime. So they dress the part and listen to the Grateful Dead. The only really good thing about it is the 20-something patchouli smelling girl with daddy issues who clings to you and sticks. You let her smoke your pot but you hold back your 3 grams of cocaine until everyone has gone to bed. You get her crazy high and fuck her brains out until the sun rises. Then you go out for coffee and she asks you to tell her all the things you like the most about her. Since you haven't slept and are dehydrated you find someone else to talk to her.
>>
>>2331752
I was a teenager visiting San Francisco the day Jerry Garcia died. All these hippies were on the bus, crying, wailing, carrying on about how amazing he was. I don't think there's really any actual 60s hippies left in SF though.
>>
>>2331758
I suppose it doesn't really matter when her feet are at 10 and 2. But it's all good. I like the Jerry Garcia ice cream.
>>
>>2331773
It's CHERRY Garcia you tard.
>>
>>2331781
Does it have CBD oil in it? I'm into that shit on vaping.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.