[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I want to take a trip to the USA or Australia. There are special programs, where you can help out at a farm to have a place to sleep and a meal. I don't remember what they are called, but I looked them up long ago.
I want to do that and travel across the country. If not on a farm, then maybe do other small jobs like at a bar to finance the trip.

I also one day want to only travel with a backpack throughout Europe and couchsurf.

Do you have any advice and tips for me to make my dream a reality? I don't care what anyone else says about "losing progress" in some stupid career. I want to live my life and go on an adventure.
>>
Peter Pan Syndrome: The Thread.
>>
>>2265886

In Australia, it is called a working holiday visa (backpackers). The Australian government specifically encourages this because we need seasonal workers on farms, right now there is a worker shortage in Australia so it's a great time to come. Where are you from? If your country isn't eligible I'm not sure of the process.

Make sure you are being paid above minimum wage in Australia ($21ish AUD), even if you are getting a free room and check reviews to make sure they don't mistreat their workers.
>>
>>2265932
I'm from Germany. How's the climate like on Australian Farms? Will I just die from the scorching heat? I don't want to come home with severe skin cancer.
>>
>>2265935
Germany is the 417 (better) Visa.

If you come in summer it's going to be hot at any farm, but you just wear sunscreen and the like. If your English is good enough, there is always café, restaurant or hostel work, which is great if you can get it.

Ideal time to arrive is (our) late winter or spring so you can acclimatize a bit easier. Queensland (despite being more tropical) doesn't get as hot in the summer, but does get very, very humid, so pick your poison.
>>
>>2265886
lol how old are you? it better be early 20s
>>
>>2265951
Yup. 28, but I still feel young, because of wasted time.
>>
No one bothered to actually answer his question?

OP, look up WWOOFing

Read the reviews and choose carefully. Spend a considerable amount of time on your bio and go
>>
>>2265932
> free room
naive, the scam is that they charge insane amounts for accommodation and board so you end up earning $7 an hour
also if you let the farmer fuck you in the ass he'll sign off on your 90 days
>>
>>2265886
Adventures aren't generally fun and they aren't planned either. They usually put you out of your comfort zone which personally stresses me out however my definition of adventure is something like what Christopher McCandless did, it might be different for you.
I think that hiking through the countryside
in a foreigner countey with nothing but a backpack and a tent and then try to wild camp even if it's illegal should be a good starting point for an adventure. Basically, if you know where you will be sleeping for the entire week, it just isn't an adventure anymore
>>
>>2265953
I'm 28, recently became interested in doing the same. Don't let anyone make you feel shitty for being 28 that's ridiculous. Do what you want.
>>
>>2265951
yeah he should be saving for a mortgage despite rates doubling. He should just wage all day after all he's basically thirty or spend it on a woman, sure sure.
>>
Any tips of fucking a farmer's daughter?
>>
>>2265932
>don't mistreat their workers.
this is a massive issue right now and a reason for the staff shortages (while in covid travel restrictions. what right minded person would quit their job, move bush and perform that shit work for shit pay and conditions)

just keep in mind that if it sounds like indentured servitude, then it is (getting paid shit wages, no protections, poor working conditions, forcing you to give up a large portion of your paycheck to live in some shitty pub room or a rotting caravan covered in black mold). heaps of sexual harassment going on from what I hear as well..
>>
>>2265953
Oh good for you anon. Just fucking great.
>>
>>2267042
It's all true. I was there for three years, left last August. But because there's a shortage of workers you are way more likely to get a decent gig. Look for little family farms, never the big corporate shit and NEVER anything with chinks. Also don't be a retard, buy a car before you start working so you aren't desperate. I remember one place I worked for three days, my room was a broken down school bus with a mattress in it lmao
>>
>>2267672
>calling people losers
takes one to know one, loser
>>
>>2265886
Don't come to Australia. Our nation is fucked in pretty much all aspects; backpackers and seasonal workers are at the receiving end of rampant corruption from our local farms and our cost of living is insanely high. Unless you want to survive off of living in a tent in horrible weather, avoid Australia.
>>
>>2267712
I can understand treating seasonal workers from third-world countries bad and exploiting them. But even tourists and backpackers? Now that's just being shitty towards your own.
>>
>>2267849
they prefer white labor down there
>>
>>2267712
>took 17 posts until one of these posts
You're lacking
>>
>>2267849
especially the tourists and backpackers
>>
>>2265928
Peter Pan syndrome is pop psi bullshit. Refusing what role society is imposing unto you through financial and psychological coercion takes far more maturity and a lot more courage than resigning yourself to that 9 to 5 anchoring you to a lifetime of doing the same things at the same place until you're discarded.

a dear friend of mine did a WHV stint in NZ, which helped him broaden his horizons and continue the studies he dropped due to severe depression. Had he not done that he wouldve been trapped as a gas station clerk all his life, scared of anything that would've jeopardized his stability.

quit being a condescending retard.
>>
>>2265928
You WILL get buried in a office job at 20
You WILL not experience the best years of your life
You WILL do as corporate society tells you to
You WILL only start travelling when you're too old to really enjoy it
You WILL go to Cancun in a holiday village

And if you try to do what makes you dream, I'll shit on you and call you a man baby, jealous that others do what i couldn't do, now hardened by my failures.
>>
>>2267936
hey, we're just giving the guy enough information based on evidence at hand
OP, if you do go through with it, have an emergency fund and a hard-line way to bail out if its not working out
>>
>>2265886
Woof and workaway are what you're looking for. Be aware that you are at the hosts mercy to accept you, some will mistreat you and possibly make you leave early.
>>
>>2265886
There's a website for this. It's called workaway or something. You could also visit some egalitarian communities if you don't mind dirty hippies.
>>
>>2267033
In Australia, farmer fucks you.
>>
>>2267907
Lacking what? He's right, all the foreign friends and acquaintances I have say the fruit picking shit is terrible.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.