[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 61 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Got 2 job offers as an English teacher. I could make $55k a year in Taiwan or make $30k a year in Japan.
I am a bit of a weeb so like the idea of going to Japan, but how is Taiwan?
>>
>>2258298
As a weaboo myself, i'd still chose Taiwan over Japan.
First with 55k a year, you can afford to spend a couple weeks in Japan.

Secondly, Tawain as beautiful landscape, a better nightlife, is cheaper and has more affable people.
>>
>>2258302
>more affable people
Well I would like to meet foreign friends.
>>
>>2258309
Watch Prozzie's videos, he seems to have more fun than english teachers in Japan
>>
>>2258302
You sum up exactly what I was going to say! Better wage, affordable cost of living, fantastic food, just as much fun, and easy to visit other regional countries with a little extra cash in pocket.
>>
>>2258322
hey nk anon i always love seeing your photos/anecdotes about best korea, have you got any taiwan photos by any chance?
>>
Is $55k really livable? I live in NY btw
>>
>>2258324
Yeah sure, I had an apartment in Kaohsiung when my ship was based there, will toss some pics up tonight. Taiwan is really an underrated gem, I love the hot springs and the food.
>>
>>2258322
Sup NK Anon, loved your pictures thread it was awesome.
>>
>>2258349
For anyone not in jew york its a great ammount
>>
>>2258298
just kill yourself inbred weeb trash
>>
File: DSC022521.jpg (457 KB, 1500x1000)
457 KB
457 KB JPG
>>2258324
>>2258356

Request for Taiwan photos, this is all stuff when I was out and about Kaohsiung for the most part getting used to the new camera for my first North Korea trip.

>>2258324
Thanks, will continue to post

Pic - local temples always seem to be having festivals and seeing colorful processions is quite common.
>>
>>2258298
Taiwan.
1. It's probably not going to be around for much longer if the chinks try some shit.
2. That's $20k extra with lower costs of living.
3. You're just a short plane ride away from okinawa anyways.
>>
File: DSC02055.jpg (615 KB, 863x1295)
615 KB
615 KB JPG
>>2258441
>>
File: DSC01934.jpg (509 KB, 1000x1500)
509 KB
509 KB JPG
>>2258441
>>
>>2258298
>$30k in Japan
Enjoy your box and shit bucket
>>
>>2258298
Expat in taiwan here

55K a year in Taiwan => you'll live like a fucking king. Fuck, even with 30 you'd be good, but 55k ? You litterally could save up for a trip to japan every month, kek. Take the TW job. If you really want to go to japan, take the taiwan job, and look for a job that pays at least as much if not more in Japan. If you get paid 55k in taiwan, you'll get paid far more from there on out than if you took the jp position.

>>2258302
I can confirm. People are way more open, people are chill relative to japanese people who really give off automaton vibes sometimes.

>>2258349
>Rent : 500 for a studio in taipei, 800 for a 2/3 bedroom appartment
>Food : 200 to 600 (depending on how much you splurge but 600 means you're a fat fuck and you're eating expensive)
>Fun stuff (parties, booze, etc.) : 300 bucks at most

I won't count travel as it it's more complicated but you could easily use the "fun stuff" budget line for that.

You'll only be spending 2000 bucks at most if you're counting electricity + phone/internet bills and you're on the less conservative estimates i've quoted here. You'll still be saving 2k per month by being a complete retard. How is that not livable? Have you ever considered the fact that New York isn't like the rest of the world ? Are you underage ? Get the fuck out.
>>
>>2258479
Thanks for the help anon. Making me lean towards Taiwan.
How is the dating game in Taiwan?
>>
>>2258483
>How is the dating game in Taiwan?
>whitey in asia
Unless you're quasimodo tier undesireable, do you even have to ask?
>>
>>2258483
>"making me lean"
Just so you know, this is a no-brainer dude. Had you had 55K for Japan and 30k for Taiwan I'd say that would be a much tougher choice, because Japan does indeed have much more stuff to do. But Taiwan is great, and you'll have a shit ton of things to do there before you even get bored and consider going to Japan. Also, you're a few grands away from being eligible for a Taiwanese Gold Card (which is basically a card that allows you to do whatever the fuck you want for 3 years).

>How is the dating game in Taiwan
Do you come here often ? It's been already established a 100x times that you'll be pulling far more than what you're currently pulling back home. Also the girls look good. Some look Chinese, some look a little more SEA-looking, and some clearly look like they're half Jap. As long as you're not a complete autist, no matter what ethnicity, you'll be pulling. Anyone who will say the contrary is a lying gatekeeping fuck, someone who's never been there, or a degenerate coomer. BTW, not many coomers here since the prostitutes are among the most expensive in Asia.
>>
>>2258494
>As long as you're not a complete autist, no matter what ethnicity, you'll be pulling.
What's some good strategies? Tinder? Clubbing? Does language barrier matter while clubbing or do you just go touchy-feely?
>>
Is Mandarin easier to learn than Japanese?
>>
>>2258479
>>2258483
>>2258298
Since when were TEFL jobs in Taiwan paying $55k USD a year... after tax that's like $4k a month and I'm guessing they are providing you with living accommodation too?

Cost of living is extremely cheap there so the other anon is right you are going to be living like a don. Are you sure that's the salary ?
>>
>>2258508
Do a quick google search anon, many of them don't even require a TEFL certificate if you have a BA.
>>
File: DSC02184.jpg (497 KB, 1000x1500)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>2258441
>>
>>2258515
Bruh why the fuck is prozzie and the other UK vlogger always crying about having no money.

Are they just braindead blowing it all on shit beer. whats going on.
>>
>>2258500
the mandarin learning folks will tell you that japanese is easier because mandarin is basically 100% kanji (=characters), that while chinese grammar is simple it also means that the language is very context heavy, and just pronouncing the tones is a fucking bitch.

the japanese learning folks will tell you that mandarin is easier because the grammar in japan is far more complex and varied, and that while sure, the kanji requirement isn't as high as chinese, the level of knowledge of kanjis required to be relatively good (around ten thousand words for HSK6 -chinese- and N1 -jap-) is equivalent in both mandarin and japanese.

In both cases they are complex languages and you should go with whatever you think is useful for your future career. However, do know that learning mandarin will make learning kanji far easier, as you will know the meaning of a lot of kanjis.
>>
>>2258526
>watches insufferable vloggers
>is suprised they are insufferable

Dont think too much about it. Just a them thing
>>
>>2258500
Think of it this way. If you have no experience at all with either, they should be about the same difficulty to learn.

A korean learning dutch or german with no previous contact with either wouldnt find learning 1 or the other easier.
>>
>>2258515
>do a quick google search
Are you the OP ? English teaching jobs in Taiwan don't pay that much, that's a fact, even with a masters in English. There are jobs, but they're not that highly paid. Are you sure that isn't the monthly salary in NTD ? Because 55K NTD per month (around 1900 USD/month) sounds like a more credible pay range for taiwan. But if you did read the offer well and that is what you're getting, you're probably among the best paid english teachers in the entire country, if not the best. Fuck, you're as well paid as a semi-conductor engineer with a PhD working at TSMC is getting, believe me. I would personally find you and kill you out of spite if you chose the Japan offer.

>>2258526
Prozzie is clearly struggling with alcoholism, which doesn't help with the expenses, and it seems lifeintaiwan has a child overseas he needs to take care of financially. On top of that, I don't think that they have any qualifications that would make teaching english in taiwan a career. They're just teaching in buxibans.

A real english teacher in taiwan (aka someone with a real diploma with actual qualifications and a permanent position at a high school or something) earns north of 2000 bucks a month and gets decent advantages. I wouldn't hire Prozzie to be a fucking janitor.
>>
>>2258500
I found learning two different alphabets cancerous, but katakana does make it easier to learn English words. Chinese grammar is much easier imo.
>>
>>2258544
>Prozzie is clearly struggling with alcoholism, which doesn't help with the expenses

kek'd

I'm seriously debating making the move to ESL from quite a well paid software engineering gig just to experience something new and actually practice some mandarin.

Lot of software jobs seem to have shit pay / long hours and no accommodation allowance in Taiwan.. legit ESL seems like a better option.

What's the best one could hope for salary wise if I've got a Degree and I guess one of the random TEFL / CELTA courses, is this good enough to blag a permanent position?
>>
>>2258557
>take a 75% pay cut to teach little shits the alphabet
dont do it dont do it dont do it dont do it

just move abroad without telling your boss if you work remote
>>
>>2258557
Read my post again. Actual qualifications doesn't mean a BA in arts and pottery my dude. It means you've got a masters in English or Linguistics or even a PhD, CELTA being more of a plus in this case. I mean, think about it : What software engineering job would you get if you had a degree in a non-related field ? Probably some shitty web developping gig that doesn't pay a lot.

If i remember the numbers, you'll probably get around 10 to 15 bucks an hour, if you're getting 20 hours you're getting 1600 bucks a month. prozzie and lifeintaiwan probably earn around 1600 to 2000 bucks. Which isn't "bad" and relatively decent, but it's certainly not 4K-a-month-good.

my guess is that OP had good enough credentials and/or luck to get an offer from a good private school, some of them do pay really well their teachers.
>>
>>2258572
Yeah, good luck waking up at 4 am to attend an afternoon meeting. lol
>>
Taiwan by a longshot. Not only will you have more fun, but you'll actually make decent money based on the cost of living there.
>>
>>2258576
It's fine if you just set your clock to it
>>
How different is Taiwanese to classic Mandarin?
>>
>>2258865
It’s pretty much the same but with some slang and vocabulary quite unique to them. They also sound more effeminate and homosexual, I mean, I expect mainlanders to be gay if they sound like that.
The writing still uses old characters, which is kino and nice. Looks way cooler but are a bitch to learn from zero. I have more trouble writing than reading.
>>
>>2258865
Depends what you mean by "taiwanese" :

If you mean hakka, it's basically as different from standard mandarin (aka "putonghua") as cantonese is. It's a different dialect and they're not mutually intelligible. A lot of taiwanese speak it, but don't bother too much with it as long as you didn't fully master mandarin which is what most people use professionally and socially unless you're in some rural or peripheric area of a big city. Hakka is very similar to Hokkien, found in the mainland and over represented in Singapore.

If you mean "taiwanese mandarin", which is all you really need to know to deal with the locals unless you live in some small community outside of Taipei/Taichung/Kaohsiung, it's basically an accent. Taiwanese people switch a few tones here and there (the mandarin word for France being a prime example), but most importantly they do this thing that >>2258925 mentioned as faggy, which is basically speaking mandarin with a lisp. Basically what he means is that the sounds "tch", "dj" and "sh" (respectively "ch", "zh" and "sh" ) are pronounced "tss" "dzz" and "zz". They are also overly, ridiculously polite and usually always take a soft intonation. Now you may sound "faggy" in the mainland, but a mainlander sounds like a rude fuck out here in Taiwan. And you *really* don't want to be that here.

From what i'm reading in this thread, it seems like you want to take the opportunity of your stay in taiwan to learn mandarin. here are a few pointers : the flashcard method is not for everyone but worth trying, and pronunciation should be your utmost priority. Not pronouncing your tones correctly is akin to systematically emhpasizing the wrong syllable in English. Not only is it fucking annoying to a native speaker to listen to, but it can get unintelligible really quickly. Taiwanese people do tend to be more tolerant of mistakes though.
>>
>>2258386
55 was my salary at 19 as a fintech intern and I couldn’t possibly afford living on my own. Maybe I should just give up on that and move to Taiwan kek
>>
>>2258479
> Have you ever considered the fact that New York isn't like the rest of the world?

Good point. Here I get paid more. XD
>>
>>2258298
Damn this thread makes me wanna teach English in Taiwan.

I don’t think a 20k paycut justifies living in Japan UNLESS you had absolutely unfettered access to JJJs (jovial Japanese jailbait). TTwTs would give you more variety.

I’ll go teach English when I’ve done my year of slavery here in America
>>
>>2259077
How the fuck are you people like this? I live in LA and unironically make $25k a year and am living fine.
>>
>>2259151
Were you dumpster diving or something? Lmao
>>
>>2259151
>barely over LA poverty line
>living fine

Start a YouTube channel and drop tips and tricks bro bc you have it figured out
>>
>>2258302
Fpbp

Don't work in Japan, anon. Visit and coom in their women when ya do
>>
>>2259078
you also pay more. XDXD
>>
>>2259077
there are very few countries where a 50k figure wouldnt put you in the 90th percentile of salaries.
>>
>>2259188
>>2259170
>I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MANAGE MONEY HURR DURR
$600 rent.
$200 food
$300 everything else.
WTF is wrong with zoomers jesus christ
>>
>>2259078
>Get paid slightly more
>Have to pay x3 the price
WOW AMAZING
>>
>>2259200
>>2259212
I live in a coop my aunt hooked me up with.
>large one bedroom I share with my girlfriend
>rent controlled
>pay $500 between the both of us
>earn $90k out of college
>Don’t have to move to shithole Asian countries and work dead end white monkey jobs to feel affluent
>$15k disposable to travel for months with gf
>XD it really is amazing
>>
>>2259211
That sounds like hell desu poorfags btfo
>>
>>2259085
OP is trolling btw my dude.

Google TEFL salaries in taiwan and I couldn't find anything paying higher than 65k TWD a month which is pretty awful even with the low cost of living.
>>
>>2259211
where the fuck do you live that has $600 rent in LA? did you find a room off craigslist?
>>
>>2258298
if you had a time machine to go back to the mid-00s, Japan.
modern Japan is shit now, and the english teaching industry there has been ruined.
pay, time off etc has all dropped by 1/3rd since 10 years ago cuz of the huge influx of filipinos that took over the english teaching industry there.
t.watched my $40k/year job w/ 3 months of paid leave where i could just go home at 2pm turn into a $22k/year, 2 weeks paid leave and stay until 6pm job thanks to every english education company becoming 80% filipino
>>
File: 1652876366509.jpg (102 KB, 560x909)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>2259211
>WTF is wrong with zoomers jesus christ
pic related is whats wrong
not to mention most of them spend $200 a week on uber eats
>>
>>2259236
Kek 90k out of college is poorfag for NYC. They pay their interns more than that, you must not be smart enough for a tech role. The rest makes you look like a retarded normie, what are you doing here? Don't you know this is the board to discuss the cheapest rankest global coomholes and wait until Nippon is wrenched back open?
>>
>>2259239
>Sounds like hell
It's how I have been living since 18 (i'm 28 now) and I still save money every month. The avocado toast memes are true. This is why "living wage hurr durr" retards get the rope.
>>
>>2259370
i hate america and zoomers so much god i fucking hate them. here's my budget
>700 rent
>120-180 for food a month
i only eat pasta, cans of beans/tuna, apples, and hot dogs
>$50 cell phone bill
>$80 for cigarettes
>$30 candy bars (reeses fast break or paydays to be exact)
After taxes I make 800 a week. thats without overtime, and thats still about 25k saved in one year

i fucking hate consuming faggot zoomers. i fucking. hate. them
>>
>>2259384
same anon. Not sure how I would spend more unless I went absolute retard and decided to debtmaxx on stuff I don't really want. Whats the end goal anyways? Work a more stressful job so I can afford high stress luxuries like a car im worried about scratching or a more expensive home where I get shit on every year by tax assessments? I've already been a millionaire. Consumerism is a meme. Only buy shit if you really think its going to make your life considerably better or more convenient.
>>
>>2259374
Something tells me you’re not from NY and have zero (0) idea what you’re talking about XD

> Don't you know this is the board to discuss the cheapest rankest global coomholes

Don’t get me wrong the cheapest rankest global coomholes are cool af and I would love to visit but There’s no comparison between
>55k deadend English teaching job in taiwan
>90k in NYC

Like the latter is objectively more desirable. Sorry.
>>
>>2259384
BRO YOU'VE BEEN MAKING THE SAME SHIT WAGE FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS???? LMAOOOOOO

>>2259392
>i only eat pasta, cans of beans/tuna, apples, and hot dogs

okay you have to be trolling at this point with this great depression ass meal plan. If you are trolling standing ovation because i genuinely laughed very hard at this. Have a blessed day brother.

>>2259395
you sound like an underachieving faggot.
>>
>>2259370
why don’t they pirate
>>
>>2259402
>he thinks im trolling
no, i literally only eat that because i live alone. when you're a man who lives alone you can get by on absolutely nothing when you don't have some harping, parasitic whore or screaming children to feed and attend to their materialistic fantasty faggotry.
>>
>>2259402
Yeah, I only work 15 hours a week. I like my free time.
>>
>>2259407
holy shit. this is gold. Do you eat any vegetables? What's your mode of transportation?

I'm not even arguing im genuinely invested now. Im struggling to even come up with words to assess this lmaoo.

to recap:
>28, lives in LA makes 25K - just above poverty line
>Has made that same amount since teenager, 10 years and counting
>only eats pasta, canned food, apples and hotdogs
>80 dollars a month on cigs, 30 on candy
>no intention to seek intimacy with a woman or start a family (presumably because he will not be able to afford it)
>pushing 30 while still maintaining incel ideologies

bravo
>>
>>2259397
Not from NYC no, but I do know what I'm talking about. Check out glassdoor. 90k is below median for the field you're in.

The latter is not more desirable. I would rather make 30k in some flyover than have to live in that rathole city you do.
>>
>>2259413
>i like my free time.

EMPHASIS ON "FREE" LMAOOOO
>>
>>2259236
meh. if you are arguing that nyc gets one a better life then you're doing a pisspoor job of it. rent controlled appartments are ridiculously rare, you're conveniently sharing bills with your partner and you do not mention shit regarding healthcare and savings.

on the other hand, anon's budget at 55k (which places him amongst the highest paid workers, calling it a white monkey job is very unfair) seems to be living a reasonably good life with 24k disposable. Yes, taxes include retirement there for permanent residents, as well as healthcare. Also, as someone who used to live in NYC, shopping bills are far cheaper in taipei than they'll ever be in fucking jew york.

I guess you'll be doing what every 4channer does when they get btfo'd, i.e leave silently and never come back. Adieu !
>>
>>2259424
>Check out glassdoor
we're laughing at you rn.
Still more than you I'm guessing?

poorfags absolutely seething rn
>>
>>2259407
Bro your diet sounds hilariously bad. Its not that you're being impressive with your savings, it's that you're being impressive with your sperg level tastes.

I live alone too and I like buying lots of meat and dairy from local farms. It ends up costing not much more than what you say you spend except I get to not eat like a literal bridge troll.
>>
>>2259427
eh, it literally does though. I don't want to live in taiwan, I make enough money here, at a young age in a job with actual upward mobility. I would rather that then work with kids untilllll when? retirement? Cool cool.
>>
>>2259427
>>2259434
my goal was not to convince anyone to come to nyc. in fact - I would prefer as many out of staters as possible to leave the city. I'm very comfortable with where I'm at right now. And find it laughable that anons like >>2259392
flexing MRE diets as proof that they can live comfortably. Like its funny.
>>
K
>>
>>2259392
>fucking zoomers spend all their money on subscription services

>budgets 80 dollars a month for cigarettes
>>
>>2259425
>NOOOOO YOU CAN'T BUY YOUR HECKIN AVACADO TOASTS AND NEW IPHONE EVERY 6 MONTHS, YOU SHOULD TOTALLY WORK FOR MR SHELKELSTEIN FOR 45 HOURS A WEEK INSTEAD OF 15
>>
>>2259464
bro i work 3 hours at night and get paid more than your weekly for it. give it a rest man, im tired. And please improve your diet. Have a blessed week.
>>
>>2259402
yeah let me just work harder and take on more risk to achieve more just so I can get split in half at an intersection by a nigger on speed driving a stolen car. Even someone like Steve Jobs put all his heart in to apple just to have a literal faggot turn his business into a meme. Strong priorities. Achievoors have an ego problem. Were all going to die one day and anthropologists are going to remember us as the faggot grooming generation and Musk will get a statue as worlds greatest grifter lol. Didn't even touch on the fact that when you over achieve that you become a literal bank and people come to you wanting cash or for you to fund their shitty business idea which is just uber of x that they came up with while they were high. I hope for your sake one day you have a lot of money just so you can see how big of a fucking meme it is.
>>
>>2259476
>Give it a rest goy, sure I can't not CONSUME and have to work 40 hours a week b-but goy you have to buy the funko pops
>>
>>2259481
im def not reading all that. Put that energy into finding a job.

>>2259499
you are actually hilarious. I've just read our post exchange to my friend and we're both still laughing about it. Amazing work bro.
>>
>>2259404
zoomers have only ever known everything to be instantly accessible on a phone app for $5/month
where-as the older half of millennials and Gen X grew up with free music, free movies, free TV, free books etc zoomers literally cannot comprehend these things, as they never lived in a time where that shit was all free
>>
>>2259506
>We are laughing for 5 minutes until i have to start my next shift
Imagine thinking a little extra spending money is worth throwing your life away or being that bad at saving
>>
>>2259434
Not really. all you've proven is that if you're a privileged rich kid and that you share your bills with someone, then you'll have money, without really being honest about the fact that any person going to new york will certainly not pay rent as low as you did.

If the only argument you have is "being a teacher sucks"... ok I guess ? you don't have to be a teacher if you don't want to, Anon, but at this point you're really just coping. 55k is incredible in Taiwan. Even more if you have an aunt there and if you split the bills with your wife.
>>
>>2259559
I hope this is the guy who spends 80$ on a subscription to lung cancer every month lol

>>2259581
Seething, isn’t it time make a late night snack over there? Hotdogs or canned beans tonight?

>>2259593
see >>2259437 I’m not arguing FOR anything. All I said is 55k Is not a lot at all here. Poorfags started projecting and I started trolling. Idgaf who’s working in Taiwan or whatever tf.
>>
>>2259593
>Even more if you have an aunt there and if you split the bills with your wife.

You are simultaneously showing support for low living expenses in Taiwan but showing contempt for it here?
>>
>>2259597
Not really. My point is that to even be on equal footing with an average, single person working with a 55k$ salary in Taipei, you have to bring up the fact that you (if you're the one i've been responding to earlier) have an aunt who helped you getting a rent controlled appartment (which constitute 1% of all rental units in NYC) as well as the fact that your gf is helping with the bills in order for you to arrive at that measly 12k of disposable income a year.

The last sentence was merely stressing the fact that the only advantages I've brought up are things every person living in Taiwan can get. Let alone if we started to bring personal advantages to the table. I know more than one person that got married there and was basically gifted a fucking house by their in-laws, but you don't see me bringing that up in my calculations.

>>2259596
>i was merely trolling
idc you fag. This isn't much about answering your retarded takes and more about informing other people that life in Taiwan is that good.
>>
>>2259559
why don’t their parents teach them how to pirate instead of lending them their credit card so they can subscribe to this shit
>>
Unironically the last confirmation check to see if I can get hired was to do a live video to make sure "I was attractive enough to teach English". Fucking Asians man, I don't know if that was based or cringe.
>>
>>2259643
Tldr
>>
>>2259593
>>2259643
You retards do realise that OP has definitely made a mistake and he probably meant $55k TWD and not $55k USD.

There are no ESL monkey jobs paying $55k USD in Taiwan.
>>
>>2259998
Op here. NT$750 an hour, 40 hours a week.
Do the math yourself.
>>
>>2260052
Most jobs do not pay that high they usually pay like 600-650, also most do not offer 40 hours a week and will have massive fucked up schedules with unpaid breaks in between. Usually people get 20 hours a week with a ton of unpaid breaks in between
>>
>>2260056
I guess i'm a lucky faggot.
>>
>>2260059
Yes you are very lucky, don't get all these other faggots hopes up though.
>>
>>2260062
600 ($20) is still pretty good, especially for a country where the cost of living is 1/3 of America.
I was a tutor for 3 years and only got paid $13 an hour
>>
>>2259998
i'm the one who pointed the same thing as you did, but even then it's not necessarily true. There are people who earn that amount of money being english teachers in Taiwan. You just didn't meet them.

>"ESL monkey jobs"
You clearly have no knowledge of Taiwan or expatriation in Asia in general and that shows. "ESL monkey jobs" are the lower quality type of contracts for native English speakers with little to no experience and either irrelevant or no academic credentials at all. Legitimate English teachers actually earn beaucoup money all over the world. I know my english teacher in uni was earning north of a 100k a year in France freelancing as an english teacher. We're talking heart surgeon salaries here.

>>2260052
Happy to hear you didn't fuck up the numbers bro. If it wasn't obvious already, the Taiwan proposal is lightyears better than the Japan one. If you're working in Taipei, I'm sure i'll see you there ;)
>>
>>2259416
you dumb fucking animal im not the LA guy i was responding to him to compare my poverty budget. retard!
>>2259433
>>2259437
i don't really care. im literally just saving money to go back to thailand and fuck hookers. i might as well be sitting in a waiting room.
>>
OP I'm gonna need more details on how you landed this job...
>>
>>2260101
Honestly dump luck.
>Post resume on English teacher website
>Next day someone sends email asking if i'm interested because they need to hire someone quick
>>
>>2260094
Look at OP's reply >>2260114, the man literally just lucked out and some retarded school is paying over the odds. There will most likely still be a catch here or the contract is not guaranteed for 40 hours.

Also it's got nothing to do with "English", if you get a proper teaching license you will make those higher salaries anywhere... and if you have any subject knowledge you in most cases will make even more. Economics and IT roles in international schools are really really decent and there are more jobs going for you to pick from too... (primarily because you can make so much more for so much less work in actual IT roles)

I nearly made the jump myself, but £134k a year and netting £8k a month with pension contributions with free rent is quite a hard thing to walk away from for sake of cooming.
>>
How long does it take to learn serviceable English for walking around?
>>
>>2260608
Fuck, meant Mandarin, not English.
>>
>>2259368
> Filipinos
> teaching English
yikes they can barely speak it themselves
>>
>>2259368
How did the flips get so good at English?
>>
Don't even think about it. I mean english teaching in asia is not a great life decision in general but whatever you do, take the taiwan contract
>>
Take the money, go to Taiwan and learn mandarin while you're there.

There are some really nice girls in Taiwan
>>
>>2258298
Take Japan. You're not really going to make $55K in Taiwan. Taiwan is fucking notorious for promising full-time legal work and then "oh we'll start the visa process after you arrive, don't worry about working illegally" and "oh you weren't cute enough so we're cutting your hours" and "by the way you have to do all your lesson prep on your own time, we don't pay you for that."
>>
>>2258544
>There are jobs, but they're not that highly paid. Are you sure that isn't the monthly salary in NTD ? Because 55K NTD per month (around 1900 USD/month) sounds like a more credible pay range for taiwan.
This is the answer.

>>2260052
>Op here. NT$750 an hour, 40 hours a week.
>Do the math yourself.
LOL. 750 * 40 = NT$30,000 per week, USDTWD is at 29.66 so US$1011/week, 1011 * 52 is already only $52,530. But you're not mentioning that (1) if you don't work, you won't get paid, and (2) they're not really going to give you 40 hours paid time. So start by dropping at least $2000 because you're gonna want a couple of weeks of vacation, and then keep dropping it because your school is going to tell you they don't pay for prep time, they don't pay for meetings, you have to show up fifteen minutes ahead of class (unpaid of course) or they'll "fine" you, and so on down the list.

BTW, if you're in Taipei, you'll be living in a tiny concrete box for US$500/mo, and you might not even get your own bathroom for that. Rents are up all over the island. My landlord raised my rent for the first time in ten years, NT$23,000 a month now and I'm nowhere near downtown. A friend is paying NT$50K for a small studio in downtown, fifth floor walkup but right in the middle of things.
>>
>>2258557
>Lot of software jobs seem to have shit pay / long hours and no accommodation allowance in Taiwan
Correct. They don't need a cute young white face for programming. Locals get paid shit for everything; that's why they'd rather run an umbrella shop all by themselves than work a "real career". They'll make more money selling cheap umbrellas to passersby who got caught out in a rainstorm than they'll ever make for a highly skilled professional job.
>>
>>2260792
This is pretty sad since it means if you want to live in Taiwan and have goals outside of just being an English teacher you would have better luck looking for work out of the country
>>
Should I de-tan before going to Taiwan? I'm a white Texan who is really tan due to ranch work. Do they think lighter = whiter?
>>
>>2260608
1 year of serious and motivated studies for 20 hours a week to reach the kind of level where you can get all the stuff done Mandarin. Continue that for four years to become fluent, I mean the level like for example a typical Western/Northern European is fluent in English.

This is all assuming you're not a retard and are at least a bit more intelligent than the average person. I used to study Mandarin in Beijing and there were some rich 3rd world kids that were sent to learn Mandarin there. Obviously their study backgrounds in countries like Bangladesh and Laos were shit and many of them were really, really dumb. They didn't reach any reasonable level of Mandarin at all in the first 1-2 years.
>>
>>2260771
This is kind of true too so be careful OP. Although borders are closed now so they have to get your visa before you go unless you will start much later in the year? Most just get you there and have you work before getting your permit at least before covid shit.
And it is very common for them to switch hours and classes randomly and just say "there arent enough students for another class, nothing we can do"
>>
>>2260845
Don't overthink it. I understand where this question is coming from but it's really out of touch with the reality, trust me. It doesn't matter if you're Spanish or Norwegian there, you're white and if you're fit, handsome and white, you're fit, handsome and white. I'm blonde and very light-skinned and while it's a good-to-have, it's definitely not a game changer. Just live your life and don't give a fuck about ridiculous nuances like that.
>>
>>2260879
Yeah it's tough.

I've been trying to squeeze in nothing but character learning around work and I've done 400 characters in 6 months.

0 grammar, 0 sentences, 0 anything else. Just 400 characters and their pinyin sound with tone.
>>
>>2260888
What are you using anon? I'm dyslexic (not sure if that effects it) but learned 800 in 6 months. I think it might be your study material/app
>>
>>2260961
James Heisig Remembering Simplified Hanzi.

I don't have any learning difficulties, I'm just a lazy fucking bastard as you can see from my anki heatmap.
>>
>>2260879
That actually doesn't sound so bad to be honest. I have been studying for about 1 hour a day.
>>
Taiwan is a based country, especially if you are white
>>
>>2258298
Fellow TEFLnigger, where are you finding a job in Taiwan paying $55k?
>>
>>2258298
how and where did you find the job offers?
im not a native speaker but im a near expert and hold a certification so I assume i could teach.

do you know thai or japanese?
>>
>>2259404
Women
>>
>>2260843
It's even more sad for the locals, who have a choice between going overseas for work that pays well, OR working in Taiwan and getting paid shit, OR wasting their talents to instead do a shit job that pays enough to live on.

Starting their own serious company isn't usually an option because they can't save up the capital.
>>
>>2262443
>do you know thai or japanese?
>thai
>taiwan

is this bait?
>>
>>2261483

Based in what way? /pol/ tells me China is the more based country because Taiwan is a globohomo vassal state.
>>
>>2263419
/pol/ got infiltrated by retarded commies. China is the most homo of the "globohomo" if you know anything about their history.
>>
Bump
>>
>>2258500
Mandarin is easier, but you're only going to have success in either if rote memorization is your thing. Remember to check the wiki and download Pleco and some well structured course material.
>>
>>2263419
>redditbros should i upboat or downboat this? tell me what i should think!
typical /pol/ddit
>>
>>2265017
What makes Mandarin easier?
>>
>>2258441
>>2258457
>>2258463
>>2258516
good stuff, thanks for posting anon
>>
>>2265017
Terrible bait. Probably sponsored by CCP. There's no fucking way mandarin is easier than nihongo
>>
>>2258479
>Rent : 500 for a studio in taipei, 800 for a 2/3 bedroom appartment
any recommendations on where to look for apartments? google search for the agency websites and the facebook groups just list shit apartments. i have seen no studios for $500 which are not complete shit. my budget is around £1200/$1500 a month which gets a decent longterm airbnb in a decent area.
>>
>>2260608
1000 hours
>>
>>2265078
4 tones, 20-odd tone pairs. master them and you can speak. characters are not that difficult after you have got the first 400-500 down.
>>
>>2258302
I currently live in Japan. Go to Taiwan, anon. It's a better deal. Japan is dead.
>>
>>2265017
>>2267789
Mandarin so WAAAAY harder than Japanese. 100%. I learned both.
日本語を学ぶのは簡単だよ。
中文很难学
>>
>>2258500
Mandarin is a 4 tone language which is heavily context dependent. I think it is much harder.
>>
>>2259384
Are you happy with your life? Do you go out and have friends. I'm not doubting you but $25k sounds like barely getting by in LA. Are you sharing an apartment? How big is it and how far from an urban centre? Can you afford a car? I noticed you didn't post anything for gas.
>>
File: panel discussion.png (864 KB, 1678x842)
864 KB
864 KB PNG
>>2259395
>high stress luxuries like a car
>>
>>2259413
>I like my free time.

Based quality of life enjoyer.
>>
>>2259506
>I've just read our post exchange to my friend

The adventures you two get up to never fail to crack me up.
>>
>>2268155
I thought it was 6? Ching 1, chong 2, chang 3, wah 4, ah 5, soh 6. See? Six tones.
>>
>>2260094
>my english teacher in uni was earning north of a 100k a year in France freelancing as an english teacher.

Doubt
>>
>>2268155
2 syllable words make the context apparent almost always. 2 syllable words can also diminish the importance of foreigners hearing the tones because foreigners are usually learning pinyin 2 syllable words.
that said, tones are an issue because most peoples tones are terrible and they learn listening to other terrible tones.
a mistake almost everyone makes, including me, is thinking tones as one pinyin sound said 4 different ways, when the proper approach a chinese infant/kid takes is that they are 4 different sounds.
pinyin makes chinese language more complicated than it needs be. zhuyin is superior than romanisation. romanisation is usually a false idol.
>>
>>2268173
that is Cantonese not Mandarin
>>
>>2258298
It doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned this but OP do you think it would be a good idea to live in Taiwan (or for anyone to) bc they are constantly on the brink of war with China? I don't know shit about international affairs but it seems risky. Other anons feel free to chime in on this.
>>
>>2258298

I taught in Taipei for six months back in 2018. Decent pay, good food, nice people.
>>
Taiwan seems like a no brainer.
>>
>>2268133
>Japan is dead

How so?
>>
>>2268318
Well if you're living then when war kicks off you can legally kill ccp bugmen with 0 repercussions so it sounds like a win win to me.
>>
>>2258298
Go with Taiwan. You can get cheap weekend flights into Kansai from Taipei all the time. Taipei is also well connected to a lot SEA. Taiwan also has great food for cheap. Beef noodle your face.
>>
>>2258576
>Yeah, good luck waking up at 4 am to attend an afternoon meeting. lol
I do this and just sleep 6am-2pm. Works well for southeast asia, as I sleep through the hellfire that is the middle of the day
>>
>>2268252
>zhuyin

Thanks for the tip
>>
>>2268252
>>2268712
Learning bopomofo is a waste of learning time better used to focus on tone pronunciation. Pinyin allows you to earn considerable time by working with romanizations you can easily identify with. It's not perfect but pronunciation flaws can be corrected with sufficient training and articulation -not by learning zhuyin.
The main issue is that teachers do not take enough time to truly make you pronounce shit correctly, and don't really correct for it much (the face-saving shit makes pointing out crap like that difficult for them) and if you're in a class of many they just can't manage your individual pronunciations and will only correct obvious mistakes.In the long run the only true way of speaking flawless chinese is if you have really good ear for tones and pronunciation, or if you have an individual, physically present (because microphones will cause ambiguity) that is able to speak true putonghua in the strictest sense of the term and correct you according to that standard.
>>
>>2258349
Even in the US it's a comfortable life if you're single. Lol move out of NY.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.