[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1639930163436.png (242 KB, 823x655)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
there must be some anons on this board that like to learn languages
what resources do you use to learn?
thinking about picking up norwegian, cuz im thinking about traveling there in few months
>>
>>2241118
Personally, I’ve always had the most success with real, live instruction from qualified teachers combined with some immersion. Immersion and conversation partners alone are excellent for practice, but they’re not going to drill you on grammar or necessarily correct your mistakes in the ways I (and I suspect most people) need to speak well.

The only languages I have ever picked up successfully almost entirely through self-study have been Italian and Portuguese, in which I am a middling intermediate, but I can actually do things like travel, make small talk, navigate hotels and restaurants, and lately, get COVID tests, in both. But the only reason this was easy for me was because I already knew Spanish fairly well (had six years of classes in school) and it was easy for me to see shared patterns and structures. I can read and speak a crude pidgin French as well, but my pronunciation is bad and instead of proper grammar I just end all verbs with hon-hon-hon noises.

I am currently learning German, because I live in Switzerland and was required by law to learn it; I had a few intensive courses at Berlitz when I first got here, and I got up to B1 (B2 on a good day) within six months or so. But it’s hard to immerse here because nobody actually speaks Standard German on the streets, but Swiss German, which is different enough that most Germans I know can’t really understand it. Even when Swiss people speak Standard German it is usually distinctly Swiss-flavored. I understand it better than I used to, and I have a Swiss accent in German, but I would be lying if I said I could actually speak Schwiitzertütsch.

So I have sort of plateaued at the B level for a long time. I’m using Duolinguo a bit while I wait for either my next German course or a dialect class, and I find it fun and surprisingly good for acquiring new vocabulary and drilling in the syntax, but I don’t know that a rank beginner would be able to actually learn the language just with that.
>>
>>2241118
Why bother? Whilst on holiday I go to my favorite English themed pub, drinks some good Stella beer, enjoy watching some football, then proceed to walk around town seeing the sights. Everything is in English, well at least the places that matter anyways, due to some hard work by our ancestors.

Imagine thinking you need to learn the language for holiday, you're not going anywhere where they can't speak english for a few quid
>>
File: 1623364144953.png (314 KB, 624x351)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
>>2241188
im checking out duoling right now, but i wonder if there are some sort of good pure audio courses that you can do while doing cardio or driving a car

>>2241200
some people like to watch netflix in the spare time for fun, and some people like to learn stuff in their spare time for fun, thats all there is to it anon
>>
>>2241240
>wonder if there are some sort of good pure audio courses that you can do while doing cardio or driving a car
I’m sure there are; I think the Pimsleur Method is mostly audio-based, and though I have never used it myself it’s well-regarded. I know there is a lot of good content on YouTube, much of which can probably be absorbed just by listening, as well. But I would personally have been lost as a beginner student of German without also being able to see words written down; the visuals seem to help things stick in my brain better.
>>
>>2241299
>Pimsleur Method is mostly audio-based
Yes, but you kind of want to pay at least 80% attention to it unless you want to do each lesson three times, so not recommended for driving but rather while folding laundry or while on a stationary bike.
>>
I work as a professional translator

the thing I want you to remember about learning languages is you dont just have to practice reading, but also speaking, listening AND writing, they are all separate skills

duolingo is only good because it uses the concept of flash cards, but dont kid yourself thinking youre learning a language, you're actually just learning vocabulary (Which is good), dont substitute real work and reading full lessons with duoshingo
>>
>>2241200
This is bait.

>>2241118
My method is to use Anki and learn grammar from random sources online. Then when I have a solid base I add reading/watching/listening to media in said language. Then I get a friend/local that speaks said language to converse with me when I feel confident enough. Duolingo is absolute trash and I cannot find it useful except to learn 5 basic phrases.
>>
>>2241118
>what resources do you use to learn?
best thing is to listen to music in your desired language
>>
>>2241514
>listening
yes yes, practice listening in a foreign language. writing is pretty easy if the language uses a modified latin script. speaking should also be relatively easy. listening is the challenge.
>>
>>2241118
>>>/t/1097723
>>
>>2241653
>best thing is to listen to music in your desired language
I agree that this is underrated as a form of comprehension practice; I also listen to a lot of talk radio. Watching target-language films and TV with subtitles is also really useful. Neither is that much help without knowing at least some basics, but they’re both great comprehension exercises.
>>
>>2241118
Duolingo has helped, followed by watching well known shows in the foreign language (eg star wars with spanish audio and subtitles)
>>
I'm going to learn Dutch or Afrikaans if it is easier and was recommended Rosetta Stone.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.