[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm traveling solo through Italy right now and I get pretty depressed in the daytime. It gets better in the evenings. It's strange because the weather is great, te landscape is beautiful and I'm perfectly fit. Anyone has experience with this feeling?
>>
seing happy people with their friends and family around you while you’re solo with nobody who cares it’s like you don’t exist so yeah it does that

that’s why solo traveling is not for everyone
>>
You should look inside - we cannot possibly know the real reason.
But in general, if you're traveling solo
>during the day most locals work, or are traveling with a purpose, and in general are busy with something
>meanwhile you just go from place to place without any particular goal, but rather to see some places
I think this may be the origin of your sad feel. That's probably also why you're feeling better in the evening, since everyone around is also chilling, eating and drinking, and looking to have fun.

My theory is if you want to have a fulfilling and joyful solo trip, you must either
>have a purpose, fresh goals, or constant problems to solve
or
>make new friends and in general connect with more people on your way

I travel solo exclusively and to make it fun I don't book shit in advance, don't research too much, try to improvise and surprise myself. This creates small "problems" which are entertaining to solve,
if that makes sense.
I also meet new people all the time - I make friends with airbnb hosts, couchsurfing crowd, people who sit next to me on a plane or a bus, or at an outdoor terrace.
>>
>>2240782
Of course not everyone would enjoy getting lost with a ded phone, or missing a boat to the mainland, or making friends with a Russian guy who turns out to be a turbo cokehead, or getting a lift from a Spanish guy who turns out to be a literal Nazi.

But to me that's what makes the trips fun.
>>
>>2240760
solo travel is a cope
>>
>>2240802
seethe npc
solo travel is the only way of travelling, anything else is tourism or dumb activities for brainlets like going at clubs or whores
OP is a moron but you manage to be even worse
>>
>>2240776
>seing happy people with their friends and family around you
why do you even feel the need to get surrounded by other people?
mountains, forests, creeks and rocks are way more interesting than any stinky weak h*man
>>
same
it's fun being a ghost at first but then it's super weird

I started using tinder so at least I have some imaginary gf's to think about
not normie enough for meeting strangers at pubs or clubs
>>
Thanks for replies.

My original goal was to do my ableton stuff that I already did at home. The problem is that the depression kicks in before I can start so I don't have the energy to do anything. Also it's too hot. Should I try tinder?
One thing I learned so far is that you don't change when you change your location.
I wonder if it might just be a threshold because my reality changes and if it might get better. I read somewhere that depression kills brain cells though and that's becoming a vicious circle right now.
Also I have a weed habit but atm I can't do it because it makes everything worse
>>
>>2240820
Look mom my altitude's increased!!
>>
>>2240857
More like
Look mom, I'm able to get inspired, set a goal, achieve set goal and develop
>>
>>2240857
Thanks, I'll use that the next time I send travel photos to my mother!
>>
>>2240760
Best thing to do is totally forget who you think you are and start fresh
>>
>>2240760
yeah I am more suited to solo travelling than most and I still get this. The worst is when you can hear/see other people in love or having gatherings and you're just sat in a hotel room or standing around alone. There are highs and lows. I travel to escape my woes anyway so it is inevitable depression creeps in from time to time.
>>
>>2240820
mountain climbing is a stupid, deeply narcissistic pursuit. Every climber I have met is a selfish, arrogant bastard.
>>
>>2240893
mountaineering is superior, in all senses
>>
>>2240820
>Take a helicopter and go there in 10 minutes
WoW crazy life
>>
>>2240760
First of all you went to another western country. Why? Secondly
>>2240882
>the whole post

I literally told people my name is Tommy when I spent a year in Thailand. I didn’t really act any different, but having a fake name for some reason made me more able to act in ways that weren’t myself. I ended up being more sociable and meeting more people because I felt like an actor rather than the fucking loser who failed to transition to a white collar success after college back home
>>
>>2241110
I went there because I have a van and I live in that van
>>
>>2240760
Experiencing this too. It fucks up my sleep schedule a lot. I go out at night and sleep really late because I just feel better in the evening. Also it is hot as shit here in the daytime so you can barely do anything.
>>
>>2240760
yes! I went traveling in a beautiful areaafter a breakup and yet was miserable. Only God grants joy
>>
>>2240857
THIS.
>>
>>2240893
Its like those people who like to own snakes
>>
I do birdwatching and hiking so I am always busy as fuck.
I rent a car, drive all day, stop every hour or so, do some birdwatching, and get to a village/city to sleep. Visit said village/city in the morning, sometimes a whole day if it's big, usually museums and castles.
In the evening, I go to a restaurant, have a light meal, and read a book about the destination's history so I get a whole picture of it.
Been doing it for 10 years, never got tired of it.
>>
>>2241266
This could be me if I hadn't fucked up my brain with Ritalin. The last days all I can think of is that day when I took 5 pills up my nose and all of the sudden couldn't feel any more joy. It got a bit better in the weeks after the event, but it always stays with me. This feeling of emptiness was unknown to me before. It happened 17 years ago and still affects me that much. I had some good times, too, but I always think that I could be much happier and more active hadn't this catastrophe occurred. Now during this solo it got worse than ever. I also ask myself if experiencing solo traveling might be therapeutic and my depression could get better or if instead it gets worse, my brain rots away and only medic can help. Although medication would feel like giving up to me.
>>
>>2241323
Maybe Italy wasn't what you needed. You need a bigger cultural shock.
>>
Hop on tinder, even if just to get a conversation out of someone new. Your just in a travel funk it happens. But yea hit up something that’s a group event, even just a tour. I travel alone lots it’s easy to get into that funk
>>
I like solo travelling, but still feel lonely occasionally. At times during covid, I would go 3-4 weeks without talking to people IRL and it got lonely. Much better now things are open and you can go to coworking spaces, get a drink with girls from Tinder etc.
>>
OP here.

I think I figured it out now. I am just depressed all the time and I only realize it now while travelling. See
>>2241323
I still think it's good that I do the solo travel, because I learn a lot about myself. Most important is to fight my weed habit, I guess. I'm not sure if I'm up for Tinder, though. I don't even have good pics of myself.
>>
I was in Copenhagen a couple of weeks ago for my first real solo trip and everywhere I looked it was as if happy couples were conspiring to fill my vision. It was pretty depressing but won't stop me doing more travelling (just booked Prague for next month) as I've sort of accepted I'm a social retard with zero people skills.
>>
>>2240760
Guess what? You'll have good periods in life and bad periods, for no reason whatsoever. It's just part of life, we go through phases. And that's true whether or not you stay in one place or travel.
>>
>>2240760
>I get pretty depressed in the daytime

Same thing happens to me whether traveling or not.

It's because when you're depressed, nice and sunny weather should make people feel good. When it doesn't because you're depressed, it makes you feel even sadder.
>>
>>2240760
You need to make friends. Travel without sharing the experience with people sucks, meeting new people is a thrill. Use your solo experience to do both. Go on couchsurfing and meet people at hostels. Stay at on one place long enough to make friends and dont just hop place to place aimlessly
>>
File: brainlets.gif (3.4 MB, 430x242)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB GIF
>>2242733
>Travel without sharing the experience with people sucks
fuck off attention whore, nobody cares about the tourist traps you go
>>
>>2242754
I’m not talking about posting on instagram you faggot, I’m talking about actually hanging out with people and not being a lonely faggot “finding himself” by wandering aimlessly
>>
>>2240776
Yep, just had my first solo travel trip and this is exactly how I felt. In the last few days I spent more and more time in my hotel.
>>
File: 1643324278492.jpg (48 KB, 406x680)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2240782
>constant problems to solve
>>
Kinda in the same boat. My goal was to travel and explore, a lot of it was awesome, othertimes terrible, and sometimes lonely. I am in Italy too, except I planned to settle down and buy a house. I think I want to get married and share my life with someone, but also still have my own thing going on. I worked on music too but depression killed my passion. I have revolving groups of friends, because you need to stay in one place where people also stay and all speak the same language or you grow apart. I'm not into hookup culture, and tired of doing language exchange dates.

And I am a young woman.
>>
>>2242889
how many black guys have you fucked
>>
>>2242893
Zero. Personally just not attracted to them
>>
>>2242894
why have you toured africa 699 times then
>>
>>2242889
OP here, I think I have figured it out now. My mood really got better when I realized that I'm just a depressive person and that actually a lot of people are. We just have to deal with our brain chemistry and I don't mean by taking pills.

Where in Italy are you? (I wanted to ask this before reading your last sentence, just saying)
>>
>>2243086
You figured it out? That you have to deal with it?
Wow holy shit bro that makes a lot of sense like tell that to starving kids in africa, the people need to know this cruicial piece of information.
>>
>>2242889
Are you fat and/or ugly? I'm a rich, good looking Chad with a 9 inch dick. I would like to spend life traveling with someone. I'll never marry you or pay for your shit but I would go places with you and have some good sex at least
>>
>>2243086
>I found a girl who might have sex with me if only I can figure out her whereabouts
>Depression lifted!
I wanted to post this before reading your last sentence, just saying
>>
>>2243155
Lmao r u serious? So according to you nobody can struggle with life, because children in Africa always have it worse?
>>
>>2242754
the irony making that gif lmao
>>
i wish there was an app for travelers to meet others travelers with same goals or a forum or some shit
>>
>>2243710
Nice market niche. Would use
>>
>>2242843
>I’m not talking about posting on instagram you faggot, I’m talking about actually hanging out with people
in tourist traps with morons like you, yeah i know it's very predictable how morons like you behave

>and not being a lonely faggot
try to convince your friendcuck to go anywhere that isn't easy, trivial or touristic
you will always be a dumb tourist needing your friendcuck to hold your hand

>“finding himself” by wandering aimlessly
wandering WHERE? i'm an /out/doorsman i know exactly where i'm going when i cross deserts, glaciers and mountain ranges
meanwhile you and your frienduck always get lost in european tourist city centre because you don't even know how to use google maps
>>
>>2244395
All this /out/dooring didn't help you being an angry fellow though
>>
>>2242754
happiness is only real when shared
>>
>>2240822
Then why the fuck are you bothering to travel? There is mountains, forests, creeks and rocks in every fucking country.
>>
>>2240822

Happiness is only true when it is shared.

Humans are not meant to be alone, we are a social species.
>>
>>2242894
Don't bother. Nappy hair is gross and they do smell more.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.