[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IndiaStateMap.jpg (104 KB, 609x727)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Use this thread to discuss travel to India and the rest of the subcontinent at large.
>>
>>2239921
Has anyone here been to kerala? I've heard that it's the nicest part of India
>>
>>2239921
My advice: don't go, it's garbage
>>
>>2239981
Post a timestamped picture of the India entry stamp in your passport.
>>
>>2239980
Kerala is beautiful, depends on the time you want to go. Less crowded than Goa and arguably the best part of southern India.

If you want to go to the north, especially in the summer, consider Manali or Ladakh. Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir are lovely.

I enjoyed the Jaipur/Udaipur area, mainly for the temples and desert-ish atmosphere.
>>
>>2240619
I did Delhi, Manali, Spiti valley, Ladakh, Kashmir and Amritsar and it's been one of my best trips. It didn't feel very typical Indian though, if that's what op is looking for
>>
>>2239921
I'm a YT but wife is Indian and have lived here for some time. Also did my grad research on an India-specific topic. I have a very love-hate relationship with the country. It's a fantastic place to explore if you have lots of tolerance and patience. I've been to about 60 countries, and--with the possible exception of Pakistan--don't think there's anywhere else on earth that it's easier to make genuine connections with local people.

Forget whatever /trv/tards tell you: the average Indian doesn't want to scam you. This only happens in a very small handful of highly touristic areas. The average Indian, in fact, wants you to go home with fantastic memories of their country. People here will bend over backwards to show foreigners a good time. If you're ever bored, spend you evening in a shitty bar, look friendly, and you'll have people lining up for a conversation.

TBQH, I miss my own country, and I'll be happy to move back. But living in India and visiting India are two very different things. You have no business coming here if you can't deal with crowds, pollution, and a bit of autism. But if you're a little open-minded, you'll have a great time. I highly recommend less-visited states like Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh. Foreigners don't go there because they're not well-known, and Indians don't go because of Muh Maoist Insurgency. However, the Maoists don't give two hoots about foreigners, and states like CG, JH, and Odisha are incredibly rich in tribal culture. Nobody will try to rip you off--I guarantee you--and you'll see a side of the country even most Indians won't ever experience. Beautiful fucking mountains, an incredible mixture of religions, and some very surprisingly good indigenous liquor (homies brew "mahua" in their homes, which is made from the flower of the namesake mahua tree and is basically flavored water as strong as vodka).
>>
>>2241443
> I highly recommend less-visited states like Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh. Foreigners don't go there because they're not well-known, and Indians don't go because of Muh Maoist Insurgency. However, the Maoists don't give two hoots about foreigners, and states like CG, JH, and Odisha are incredibly rich in tribal culture. Nobody will try to rip you off--I guarantee you--and you'll see a side of the country even most Indians won't ever experience. Beautiful fucking mountains, an incredible mixture of religions, and some very surprisingly good indigenous liquor (homies brew "mahua" in their homes, which is made from the flower of the namesake mahua tree and is basically flavored water as strong as vodka).

Love the sound of that, could you recommend some particular towns/cities in these areas?
>>
Indian
>>
>>2241443
If I want to go to a beach town and just sample every single possible dish without dying, drink Indian beer, and lounge, where would I go? Conversely, same thing but with a deep jungle setting?
>>
Best city/region to visit in order to coom inside as many fresh young indian wombs as possible? No hookers, I want to breed college students and legal teens.
>>
>>2240574
>Post a timestamped picture of the India entry stamp in your passport.
Why, would you believe his opinion if he did? I want to visit India too but I'm aware of what I'm in for when I do.
>>
>>2241633
Delhi. Just live near a college and have Tinder on your phone. Same philosophy as sexpatting anywhere else. Go for volume.
>>
File: 1616252552876.png (187 KB, 496x550)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>2239921
Rajahstan at beginning of July?
It's close to the rain season but it's the only period that I have for a long travel
>>
>>2241638
Isn't the QoL in Delhi quite bad? Street shitting capital of India.
>>
anybody get their evisa recently? site 404d a month ago. How long was the process? cost? im trying to head to dharmasala for a month course. american here.
>>
>>2241619
One of my favorites is Bastar in Chhattisgarh. It's literally the hotbed of the Maoist insurgency, but your chances of encountering the Maoists are nonexistent if you're not actively retarded.

There's a lot of cool shit out there, the biggest problem is just transportation. So far as I am aware, there's an increasing number of foreigner-friendly homestays in Bastar, Dantewada, Kondagaon, Barsur, etc. Language could be a problem, but some hosts speak good-enough English. You pay like $25-30 per day and that includes accommodation, a guide with a motorcycle, 3 meals per day, etc. You won't need a guide if you have your own motorbike and can speak a little Hindi, but having a local is pretty much necessary for some areas. For example, there's a big ass waterfall that was in the movie "Bahubali," but you have to cross 2-3 seasonal rivers to get there and the locals might turn you away if you can't pass as a local and aren't with a local they recognize (not because they're anti-foreigner, it's a security thing... some of these places are literally under a parallel Maoist insurgent government, so the Maoists sometimes have rules like, 'Indian/foreign tourists can visit this place, but they need to come with a guide we trust' or 'tourists can visit but they need to be out of the villages by sunset,' since that's when their cadres usually come out of the forests and mingle with locals)

Some of these places are listed on Airbnb but it's always better to just send a message and ask over WhatsApp instead.

Anyway... lots of waterfalls, big-ass rivers, canyon gorges, plus a ton of tribal stuff. You get some really good, simple meats and their alcohol is top-tier (for desi daru, anyway)

feel free to ask more specific questions
>>
>>2242009
>>2242009
I got a non-tourist e-Visa about 6-7 months ago, it was approved in less than 15 hours. I've had several ETVs before, all of them were approved within 24 hours

Process is very easy, just don't be retarded and read the rules thoroughly: your uploaded passport pages must be in PDF format, pcture has to be a certain size, etc. it's not rocket science but a lot of people make mistakes.

IIRC costs are reciprocal, so Americans pay the most. However, visa durations are also reciprocal, which means Burgers are literally the only nationality that can get a 5-year multiple-entry e-Tourist visa (everyone else is 30/90/180/365 days, I think Japs or Brits might also be entitled to the 5 years but not sure). Costs something like $75-$100, don't do it anywhere except the official e-Visa website.

Also, print off a copy of your ETV and the latest COVID entry rules. I flew back to India a while ago, fucking moron at the airline counter kept trying to tell me that Americans aren't allowed to enter India on e-Visas anymore (unrestricted eTVs were restored for literally every nationality a few months ago)

>>2241938
Just go stay in Central or South Delhi (Safdarjung, Hauz Khas, Saket, GK-I/GK-II, etc). It's still India, but there are a LOT of upper-middle-class neighborhoods full of people who probably make way more money than you.

but imo Delhi is pretty conservative so far as India's big cities go, if you want to party then Mumbai and Bangalore are both better in my opinion. Delhi doesn't really have the same 24/7, always-working culture as Mumbai, for instance, and most of the city is pretty dead after about 11pm. The nightlife in traditional nightlife areas like Hauz Khas is pretty shit nowadays, I think a lot of it has migrated to Aerocity, Noida/Gurgaon, etc, but I actively avoid Delhi nowadays. I have a lot of friends there but the city is just horribly polluted and the people are way less chill than elsewhere
>>
>>2242858
thanks anon, very informative.
>>
>>2241443
All of that sounds super based. I’m just worried about the hygiene and hotels
>>
>>2242009
Lol the visa site actually 404d?
>>
>Chhattisgarh
Do you people have a deathwish? Even people in India avoid travelling to that shithole
>>
>>2241638
BASED
>>
>>2239980
they are all commies there and it is the most prosperous Indian state
>>
>>2242900
>hygiene
If you're talking about food, then that is a concern.

>hotels
Worried in what sense? You can get reasonably clean, modern hotels with air conditioning, power back-ups, and warm water for between $15 and $35 per night. If you're not a poorfag, India has great value 5-stars. When I got married, I spent the night before in a 5-star. Hands-down one of the nicest places I've stayed. Cost about $120 for a night.

The advantage of India is--as the other anon said--you can live off almost any budget. If you want to sleep in gurudwaras and mosques for free and eat $.50 street food for every meal, you can easily do that. You can also splurge and rent literal palaces in Rajasthan. I recommend doing a bit of both, if you don't have a miniscule budget and aren't a dedicated RealTraveler(TM).

>>2242907
>muh dangerous Chhattisgarh
People in India avoid traveling there because people in India think there's nothing worth seeing in a state that's full of poor Adivasis. The average Indian genuinely cannot comprehend wanting to spend time in the wilderness, or recognizing any sort of inherent value in genuinely indigenous cultures. I've heard stories of domestic tourists showing up to Chhattisgarh homestays and throwing hissy-fits because their tribal hosts didn't have air conditioning and wifi.

The dangers are otherwise grossly exaggerating. The Maoists aren't going to blow you up if you're not wearing a CRPF uniform or running around shouting political slogans. They occasionally detain retards who wander into areas under their control, like the dumbass Euro cyclist who somehow ended up in the middle of Dandakaranya with camping equipment and GPS devices; they kept him for a few days and then let him go once they verified that he was just a dumbass tourist.
>>
File: 3.jpg (260 KB, 1200x1600)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>2242946
[cont]
As I said before, you don't end up in "bad" areas if you have a modicum of common sense. Local people---people in the actual villages, not Raipur or Jagdalpur or Bhilai--will tell you if you shouldn't go somewhere.

Anyway, the Maoists are undoubtedly terrorists, but they're not ISIS--they're murdering random people for the sake of it. The one time in recent history that a Maoist leader intentionally targeted and kidnapped foreigners for ransom, he got kicked out of the organization by its Central Committee (IIRC, for kidnapping them along with assassinating some Baba and sparking communal riots).

Chhattisgarh, Odisha, etc, are genuinely some of the most beautiful parts of the country. The utter lack of domestic tourists means that you can see fantastic nature and sites that aren't covered in rubbish, plastic wrappers, and discarded bottles of Old Monk.

If you follow common-sense safety precautions of your host, the CRPF, etc, you're absolutely fucking fine. Even the Chhattisgarh state government is trying to get more international visitors; they recently plastered the International Arrivals section at DEL with "Chhattisgarh Tourism" posters and also have ads on the Delhi Metro, Kolkata Metro, etc.

Anyway it's just a place I like, you faggots don't have to go if you don't want to.

Pic semi-related, took it along the CG-OD border
>>
I was planning a trip to Southern India & Northern Sri Lanka later in the year.
Looks like SL may be off with the current food/fuel/political troubles. What are the odds of something similar happening in India? I've been previously but it's not somewhere I want to get caught up in some bs...
And aside from that does anyone have any random advice for the South?
>>
>>2239921
do you need a return flight to enter the country?
>>
>>2241938
I understand why you'd come to that conclusion. But it's a major city; there's shitty parts (ironcially) and then there's luxurious beautiful parts, like those in the south the other anon mentioned. Pic related
>>
I’d assume that no one cares if you wear the cuck muzzle in India? I was going to Vietnam but it seems like everyone is still wearing them
>>
>>2242947
Damn that's exactly the kind of landscape I want to see. Is it like the western ghats where during winter the landscape is pretty dull because it's so dry?

Lets say I want to spend a couple of weeks in the Chattisgarh and Odisha, which of the places you mentioned are best for nature? I'm also interested in the indigenous cultures but I'm mostly a natureboy
>>
>>2243452
Samefag who’s living here, rules vary from state to state. Where I live, there’s a mask mandate in place but nobody fucking cares. You might have to wear one in the airport, but that’s about it
>>
>>2243451
looks like Mexico
>>
>>2243699
kek I really couldn't imagine Indians giving enough fucks to wear masks
>>
>>2243891
Won't smell like Mexico I can guarantee you that.
>>
>>2243892
A lot of people were going haywire about masks in the first ~year of the pandemic--the police were literally beating people for violating curfews or going outside maskless.

In the last 8-9 months, things have cooled down a lot. I took a domestic flight a week or two ago, and a significant minority of passengers weren't even wearing masks inside the airport--they only put them on once they got on the plane. A lot of airport security and regular beat cops don't wear them anymore. But again, it's location and situation dependent. Delhi Police might give you a ticket if you're in a taxi without a mask, but they probably won't stop you for walking on the road without one.

Honestly, it's all just biosecurity theater at this point. Literally everything is open and running normally, very few if any states still have night curfews and capacity restrictions (my state had them up until March... people would follow the rules the first 1-2 weeks and then stop caring, the police just used night curfews as a way to make extra money).

But yeah, at least in my part of the country, a majority of people no longer give a shit, although masks are definitely still more common than they are in the U.S. and parts of Europe
>>
Why is India so shit for airbnbs? is there another site they use?
>>
>>2243902
I'm probably going to stay around Mumbai because everyone unanimously says the north is shit lol Maybe its worth going up near the Myanmar/china border too.
>>
>>2243923
There's plenty to do and see in the north, it just also happens to the most obnoxious part of the country
>>
>>2244541
the northern north was pretty pleasant to me (HP, Ladakh, Kashmir and Amritsar)
>>
>>2244558
tbqh I assumed by "north" he meant Cow Belt states like Uttar Pradesh and Bihar

I agree: the Himalayan states, as well as Punjab, are well worth seeing. I rode a motorbike around the Spiti Valley Loop a few years back, definitely one of the best bike trips I've ever taken. Fuck, I'm still using one of the pictures I took as my desktop background.
>>
>>2242857
Dear anon. Thanks for all the info. I've been living in McLeod since before covid, and I have questions I urgently need answered by an expert such as you.

My wife (not Indian) is six months pregnant and we are having the baby here. After much searching we found a doc who would listen to science and not clamp and saw the wisdom of getting ALL jabs in a first world country - but I am honestly uneasy about indian doctors being authoritarian spergs and my ptsd might kick in hard if someone tried to jab or circumsise or take baby away or whatever and that ofcourse will not end well - and what we truly want is homebirth but so far it seems very dificult to arrange.

Any advice on how to arrange this and any tips on other nefarius practices than harvesting umbilical cords they might try to pull?
>>
>>2244560
I meant dehli and Kolkata. I don’t really know the state names. I’m still debating whether to go at all right now on my trip to SEA and europe.
>>
>>2244573
Kolkata is a mess but it’s actually super laid back compared to Delhi. Nothing wrong with it imho. It’s a good place to explore. Spend a few days there, check out the Sundarbans, head up to Darjeeling, go hiking, see the tea gardens etc

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.