[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 7cntries.png (1.77 MB, 2471x1134)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB PNG
Hey anons,

Im planning a 7 days road trip to 7 countries in the Balkans. I know it's tight but that's the plan, a country per day.

So far, my itinerary is this one. Has anyone ever done it? What would you recommend seeing on the way? I just chose the cities based on the least amount of driving to get to them.

Please advise!
>>
>>2238987
Must be a pain in the ass to work through all the required visas and permisions
Looks interesting, will you make a report of your experience?
>>
>>2238987
Bro why would you impose such self torture on yourself? All those hills and mountains you will have to go through it will be horrible. I drive every year from serbia to mne and it's a pain in the ass. Can't imagine someone willingly going through this. Be prepared for dangerous roads and crazy dangerous drivers who don't give a fuck if they see a chance they will try to pass you even if you're going over 100km around curves.
>>
>>2238987
Podgorica is boring, look into the Bay of Kotor or Budva
Anyways, if you only have 7 days, you should focus on one country and see just that one
>>
>>2238993

I'm assuming it's visa-free to cross the border driving, or at max, I get the visa on the spot. I'm an EU citizen, I'm counting on that.

>>2239004

Well, I live in Ireland and here we have the narrowest roads ever. Plus driving through hills and mountains is fun, no?

>>2239008

Podgorica was just on the way. I will check Budva then, it's just a couple kilometres away. Thanks!
>>
>>2238987
It's an ambitious itinerary. Some of the legs of your route are pretty long, and it's going to result in leaving in the morning, driving all day, having time to maybe grab dinner, and then going to sleep before repeating the same thing the next day. If you really like driving (I do) this might be fine for a few days, but I suspect you're going to start getting tired of it after six days. I know the Skoder->Podgorica leg is short, but I doubt that's enough rest time.

Of the itinerary you've posted, I'm familiar with the Zlatibor->Kragujevac leg. It's really pretty country there and excellent driving if you like twisty mountain roads. It's really beautiful, but it will take you longer than what Google says.

Get some good burek and krompirusa in Bosnia. In Zlatibor, stop for a komplet lepinja.
>>
>>2239055

Thanks for the tips. I will try to split better the stops so as to have a maximum 4h drive every day.

Like, that stretch from Sarajevo to Nis is too long but again, I only chose Nis because it was the city with a big name on Google maps.
>>
>>2238987
>not going to herceg novi, dubrovnik, kotor, budva
u are smoking crack, those 4 places alone are better than EVERYTHING else COMBINED On your route. it honestly looks like u just picked random cities and connected them in a loop
>>
>>2239093

lol, that's precisely what I did and I told it. That's the whole point of this thread, to gather places actually worth to be seen along this giant loop.

I've been improving the trip with the suggestions from you guys
>>
>>2238987
Dude, this is not worth it. You are driving so much, you'll hardly be able to enjoy anywhere you go.

Pick some places in a region that you really want to see and do that instead. If you must start and end in Sofia, go to Ohrid and Kosovo. Or Serbia. Or start/end somewhere else

I've been to all of these places, and it took months. You won't appreciate the differences if you don't slow down.
>>
>>2239020
>>2239139
and I've driven Ireland. There are plenty more roadside crosses in Montenegro.

I'm going to double up on my post since I've happened to become unexpectedly familiar with the Balkans over the past few years.

>>2239055
Driving to Serbia and missing Belgrade/Novi Sad seems silly. Tara National Park is beautiful and Sarajevo is a gem imo.

The drive from Sarajevo to Podgorica is dangerous. You can do it, but after driving for several days you won't be at your best. Again, reconsider the duration of your trip.

Albania fucking sucks, don't bother going there at all.

Dipping into North Macedonia to see Skopje is as much as a mistake as it is to go to Serbia without seeing Belgrade.

desu it feels like you cobbled this together after looking at a political map. Although it's a relatively small area, it's not very easy to get around with the topography and recent covid bs. Hope you trim up your itinerary and have a good time
>>
>>2239145
is there anything worth doing or seeing in North Macedonia?
>>
>>2239148
Ohrid
>>
>>2238987
nic is good, see the skull tower and alexanders old country home ruins. dont listen to other anons, i did a 5 country in six days trip from albania to greece then north again, .., back to Albania, only with a thumb, bus, and trains, was fun as fuck.
>>
>>2239164

I was a volunteer in Ukraine the past month and during the war, I drove 25,000 kilometres in 40 days all over Ukraine/Poland.

I know it's doable, it is all a matter of tunning the trip to find the best route. I know time is tight and I will miss a lot, but I can always come back because I live relatively close.

My plan so far is pretty much to drive around beautiful scenery, have a nice dinner in the main cities, wake up early in the morning, stroll around, hit the road, check in the next hotel at around 4pm, rinse and repeat.
>>
>>2239407
yes! youll have a great time, just do it
>>
>>2239145
>Albania fucking sucks, don't bother going there at all.
absolute bullshit
>>
>>2239145
>this entire post
>Albania fucking sucks, don't bother going there at all.
Serb hands typed this post.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.76 MB, 2471x1134)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>2238987
>What would you recommend seeing on the way
With your 7 day timeframe? Basically nothing. For some serious advice, if you have only one week you pick only one country. I'd suggest Montenegro.

>>2239407
Here's a more interesting route through Serbia/Bulgaria.
>>
>>2241183
based
>>
File: 165211296846222.png (2.2 MB, 2471x1134)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB PNG
>>2241241

That updated map is actually damn good! Thanks for it, I'll definitely use it in the future.

I was tryna organise the trip and it seems that 7 days is indeed not really doable. My flight arrives in Sofia and I've got a car rented for a week.

If I slash the red part of the trip (Albania, Montenegro and Bosnia) and make it like a loop (in orange) I will have twice as much time to visit each stop.

Near Skopje, I found out there's this nice Matka Canyon and this Vrelo Cave. The point is, there's some cool natural wonders around this route and I wonder if you guys know more stuff like this near this shorter proposed route.
>>
So... you're just going to pass by Dubrovnik without going there?
>>
>>2241268
And Kotor
>>
File: balkans.jpg (359 KB, 1333x962)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
Stop being a fag. Balkans = notoriouslyshit for travel between cities. 7 countries in 7 days = waiting for buses with rando timetables, border delays, and passing unfriendly terrain.

> Cheap flight to Podgorica via Europe
> If you want to do some nudism, go to Ulcinj
> Make your way across the border to Shkoder
> Do the Theth hike. Pure kino. One of my top 5 life experiences. Camping out there = kino. Double kino with MDMA.
> If you're a fat American, take the ferry on lake Koman instead.
> Get the bus into Kosovo
>Head to Skopje and do some partying
>Head to Ohrid and enjoy the beautiful little town
>Take the ferry to the monastery, make your way into Albania from there
>Beeline to Albanian coast
>Paraglide onto the beach at Llogora pass (reminisce how Caesar marched his troops through here)
>Make your way do Dhermi (DO NOT TRY TO WALK IT LIKE I DID IN SUMMER FFS)
> Take the nice walk down to the beach through the waterfall canyon thing.
>Make your way to Gjipe Beach. Get fucked up.
> Make your way to Tirana or Corfu to fly back to wherever.

Won't take you 7 days, probably more like 12. But yeah, just relax, enjoy the Balkans, take it easy, and be at peace with the fact less is more. You'll want to come back.

The above journey can be dirt cheap btw. Hostels are absolutley peanuts, and it's possible to camp on beaches/mountains easily. some of the best hostels I've been to are in the Balkans. Not many party-rager types, and more chill digital nomad types.

I missed out Sarajevo, which is a shame. I really enjoyed my stay there, but it's a bastard to get to. More apt for a Croatia leg, imo.

Montengro - Belgrade = Tito's Train if you want a kino connection and you're up that way.
>>
>>2241274
Just realised you said you're driving.

Lol, Balkans = shit roads. Let some other mad cunt do the driving for you.

If you've got bank, get taxis. They're not too steep, else just bus/ferry/hike.

Driving is an extra liability and you lose out on being able to string cool things like ferries and hikes to your next destination. Not to mention the drivers are fucking mad out there.

Most importantly, driving at night out there is fucking dangerous, limiting you to driving during the day = what the fuck are you actually going to do?

Also, fair play on your Ukrainian service. Was also out there running villages around Kyiv and Chernihiv, as well as Saltivka in Kharkiv. All the more reason to relax and get the fuck out the car, desu.
>>
>>2238987
Bulgaria is amazing, but I didn't like Sofia that much. I thought it was an ugly city. Plovdiv and Veliko Tarnovo were way more beautiful.
>>
File: belogradchik krepost.jpg (2.8 MB, 4032x3024)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
>>2241241
And Belogradchik is an absolute essential. The city itself is not much, in the evening there's nothing to do since it's purely residential, but the krepost/fortress there is one of the most beautiful structures I've ever seen.

Pic related
>>
File: belogradchik krepost.jpg (2.8 MB, 4032x3024)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
>>2241289
Fucking hell, Google Pics fucking my pic over. Let's try again, hopefully this is one where you don't have to turn your head
>>
>>2241294
>assuming we're all sketchy sex tourists in countries on the equator
>>
>>2239145
>Driving to Serbia and missing Belgrade/Novi Sad seems silly.
> ...
> as much as a mistake as it is to go to Serbia without seeing Belgrade.
Novi Sad is nice, but I'm wondering what you like about Belgrade? There's the castle (which is kind of underwhelming, imo) and Saint Sava (wish it were possible to park nearby), but other than that, I don't see the draw. It just feels like a big city in a middle income country to me.
>>
>>2241378
new belgrade?
>>
>>2241274
also on that lineu have drawn there is a massive abandoned factory outside elbasan
>>
>>2241378
Like I mentioned the guy is Serbian, and very likely not from either of those cities, they love to idolize Belgrade, when everyone that has lived there fucking hates it. Not saying there aren't a few things to check out here and there in Belgrade, but it's not that amazing.

t. Lived in Belgrade
>>
>>2238987
What a retarded itinerary. You will spend the whole day in your car driving instead of enjoying the countries. Better pick one (1) country and make the most of your week.
>>
>>2239407
again, ill reiterate, your plan is workable and admirable, ignore the critics. And drop another thread while your doing it.
>>
>>2241557
I remember having to change buses in Elbasan, which was a bit of a ballache, desu.
>>
Keep us updated on your amazing Eurotrip, anon. Can't wait to hear the epic tales you'll have.
>>
>>2238987
Did all of these cities (along with others) on a recent trip. They're all decent except Podgorica, a proper shithole. The drive from Podgorica to Sarajevo is fantastic and beautiful. There's a number of Spomeniks (yugo monuments) including Valley of Heros, highly recommend. Sarajevo and Pristina were probably highlights.

If you have a couple extra dollars, you can also use a service called Daytrip, they do good work.

>>2239004
As an american (probably same as european), visa-free travel everywhere.

>>2239008
Agree. Also Ulcinj is good, if a bit touristy.

>>2241378
If you like brutalism, or want to experience a case study in brutalism, there's no where like belgrade. Summer is blistering hot. Recent oil prince money developing the river front. Kind of a shithole, but still interesting.
>>
>>2241274
i'm hoping to return to albania to do the theth hike this summer
i went before and stayed the night in valbona ready to hike to theth the next day but there was a big storm all night and morning :(((

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.